Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #1401
Logan
Head Coach

I had a smile on my face throughout all of last night's game because I knew he couldn't come up and pinch-hit.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #1402
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The Mets cut Julio Franco.

about time
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #1403
MikeVic
Head Coach

No, the Mets will rue the day they cut him.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #1404
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Neyer has an interesting blog about how it's quite reasonable that if he hadn't played 5 years outside of MLB, he'd very likely have 3,000 hits by now. How about the arguments to be made for and against his HoF credentials, if that had actually occurred?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-13-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #1405
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Neyer has an interesting blog about how it's quite reasonable that if he hadn't played 5 years outside of MLB, he'd very likely have 3,000 hits by now. How about the arguments to be made for and against his HoF credentials, if that had actually occurred?

Even with 3000 hits, I don't think he's HOF material at all. I'm just so amused how he's almost 50 and still decent enough to be a bench player.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #1406
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
No, the Mets will rue the day they cut him.

why is that?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #1407
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
why is that?

I don't know, bad karma. Franco transcends a normal baseball player. Any team that cuts him doesn't get my support.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #1408
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Even with 3000 hits, I don't think he's HOF material at all. I'm just so amused how he's almost 50 and still decent enough to be a bench player on a Double-A team.

Fixed. Guy can't get around on an 85 MPH fastball.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #1409
Ksyrup

Ichiro gets $18M per year. That's reasonable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #1410
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ichiro gets $18M per year. That's reasonable.

Yeah, 5/$90 is at the high end of the scale. Frankly, I don't think I'd want my team paying him that. But I was also one of the "Schmidt was a huge bargain" guys

That said, he's a huge marketing tool and I'm just looking at it from a purely baseball perspective.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #1411
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, 5/$90 is at the high end of the scale. Frankly, I don't think I'd want my team paying him that. But I was also one of the "Schmidt was a huge bargain" guys

That said, he's a huge marketing tool and I'm just looking at it from a purely baseball perspective.
Dunno how much stock you put in the number-crunching Tom Tango ('tangotiger') does, but he's done a ton of research on marginal win value - basically, the current market value for wins a player provides above a replacement-level player. From his calculations, he has Ichiro being worth (from strictly a baseball standpoint) at least $20M per year. Dave Cameron at USS Mariner runs similar calculations based off of Tango's work and has Ichiro being worth even more than that (he likely has Ichiro rated higher defensively than Tango).

Bottom line being, based off of where the market is currently - and keep in mind that's heavily influenced by the big spending boom last off-season - there are a number of strictly on-field numerical arguments that rate Ichiro's deal as at or below current market-value.

Now, there's certainly risk there given the length of the deal and his age - the M's have to assume there won't be a major decline in his productivity over the length of the deal. There are certainly valid reasons to think he'll age pretty well, but you never know for sure.

I'm pretty happy about it, and outside of a few cranks that have developed this misguided notion that Ichiro is a selfish, me-first player, pretty much all of Seattle and the Mariner fanbase is happy about it.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #1412
Ksyrup

Brandon Inge is the fucking MAN!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #1413
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yay! Andruw with the clutch walk and Francoeur with the clutch hit! They're both so clutch.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #1414
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Kenji Johjima is the fucking MAN!
Fixed that for you...
Old 07-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #1415
Ksyrup

I just hope Inge gets half the press Jeter did for that play he made a couple of years ago. A foot to the right, and he would have hit the handrail and been messed up badly.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-14-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #1416
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Dunno how much stock you put in the number-crunching Tom Tango ('tangotiger') does, but he's done a ton of research on marginal win value - basically, the current market value for wins a player provides above a replacement-level player. From his calculations, he has Ichiro being worth (from strictly a baseball standpoint) at least $20M per year. Dave Cameron at USS Mariner runs similar calculations based off of Tango's work and has Ichiro being worth even more than that (he likely has Ichiro rated higher defensively than Tango).

I haven't seen those numbers. I've just read some of the stuff marginal wins per buck and whatnot over at BP. Speaking of which, when did the Hit List become BP Premium?!? That's one of their biggest fluff pieces with hardly anything of statistical value but it was an entertaining read every week.

Quote:
Bottom line being, based off of where the market is currently - and keep in mind that's heavily influenced by the big spending boom last off-season - there are a number of strictly on-field numerical arguments that rate Ichiro's deal as at or below current market-value.

Now, there's certainly risk there given the length of the deal and his age - the M's have to assume there won't be a major decline in his productivity over the length of the deal. There are certainly valid reasons to think he'll age pretty well, but you never know for sure.

I'm pretty happy about it, and outside of a few cranks that have developed this misguided notion that Ichiro is a selfish, me-first player, pretty much all of Seattle and the Mariner fanbase is happy about it.

I think the first paragraph has the information that I'm going after. I posted in one of the other threads around here that I don't think this dollar flow increase is going to keep up much longer. People think this huge growth of the past couple of years is going to keep going infinitely. They thought that a few years ago, too, and then the market not only lowered its rate of increase, it actually pulled back. I don't think the latter is going to happen but the rate of increase is going to drastically slow in the next couple of years as most of the new stadiums are done and the rapid dollar growth from things like mlb.com are going from new income to expected with much less growth.

I think people think he's bulletproof and, while speedy players do hold up longer, he still is going to be 39 at the end of that contract. And the speed's definitely going to be much lower by then, which really will hurt his value as a player who derrives much of his offensive and defensive value from his fleet feet.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-15-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #1417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just hope Inge gets half the press Jeter did for that play he made a couple of years ago. A foot to the right, and he would have hit the handrail and been messed up badly.

Hahahahahahaha. You think something in Detroit will get as much attention as anything Jeter does? We heard more about ARod's wife and some swear word on a shirt than the average game for 2 weeks. But it's a nice thought anyways.

Awesome play, tho

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-15-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #1418
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I don't know, bad karma. Franco transcends a normal baseball player. Any team that cuts him doesn't get my support.

seconded
Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #1419
Ksyrup

The Yankees/Rays game has been really entertaining. Back and forth, some great plays, and now the Rays attempting to mount a comeback against Rivera. Come on, Rays!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #1420
Ksyrup

Freaking Rays threw away that game.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #1421
Ksyrup

Fuck ESPN. Not only do I not give a shit about the ESPYs, but I'm sitting here wondering why I can't see any of the mid-afternoon games on the Extra Innings package, and then I realize that the ESPN Sunday Night game starts at 6pm because of the ESPYs, and I'm assuming they have an exclusive for Sunday night, so the Extra Innings package pulled all of the 4pm starts. Fuck ESPN.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #1422
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Stupid. Now it looks like we're going to lose, because Teix just hit a go ahead hnomerun in the 11th.

Here's what I mean by stupid (re: Angels-Rangers today). It's the bottom of the eighth and we have the bases loaded with two outs. Joaquin Benoit is having some control issues. It's 3-1 to Jeff Mathis. One of the pitches he took as a ball was a high up fastball that curved to the inside corner. It was an obvious ball, and Mathis wisely took it. Move ahead to the 3-1 pitch. 3-1, mind you. A walk practically wins the game, because we're in Anaheim (and K-Rod's warming up for the ninth). Benoit throws exactly the same pitch as earlier--a high fastball, clearly out of the zone, curving inward toward Mathis. Benoit had just uncorked the pitch that would likely win the game for the Angels. So what does Mathis do? Does he take it again, as he did before? No, of course not, the stupid rookie flails wildly at it and pops it up for the final out. WTF. I can take trying and failing. But I hate stupidity. And that was just plain stupid, even for a rookie. And stupid for the coaching staff, too, because why wouldn't they have told him to keep his freakin' bat stitched to his shoulder unless that pitch was literally right down the middle of the plate?

Gah, I obviously care too much. Stupid rookies.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #1423
Ksyrup

Andy Phillips did something similiar in the 5th against the Rays...Yanks have a man on by walk, Phillips swings and misses on 3-1 and what would have been ball 4. Except he got lucky and hit a liner to CF on the 3-2 pitch, and BJ Upton overran it, mised it, and he ended up with a triple. That hit was bizarre - the ball curved toward RF so Upton took off, and then at the last second, the ball appeared to curve back towards left-CF, and upton looked like an idiot flailing backwards to try to grab it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-15-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #1424
Ksyrup

Tigers about to split with Mariners...I'll take that.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #1425
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Scary moment in the Tigs/Ms game for Ms fan as Ichiro took a Verlander FB to the knee. They say its just a bruised thigh right now though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #1426
Ksyrup

Wouldn't know, I couldn't watch it!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #1427
Ksyrup

Phillies looking good in midseason.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #1428
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cubs pick up Jason Kendall for Rob Bowen and a minor leaguer.

Whoo.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #1429
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Blevins guy the A's got looks like he has some potential - nice deal by Beane to get something of possible value for the remains posing as Jason Kendall.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #1430
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I know he's played like shit in Oakland, but 1) he's only 33, has at least a couple years left in him and 2) even if he continues hitting as he has, he's STILL better offensively than any Cubs catcher this year, post-Barrett.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-16-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #1431
MikeVic
Head Coach

I always liked Kendall. He was one of my favourite catchers when I first started playing Baseball Mogul.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #1432
Rizon
Pro Starter

Kendall was on steroids anyways. 2 HRs in 292 ABs for Kendall?? I mean seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #1433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Phillies looking good in midseason.

It's amazing how one team can be in the top 3 in every hitting category, and in the bottom 3 in every pitching one. I'm boycotting this season, at least as long as Jose fucking Mesa is on the roster.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #1434
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I always liked Kendall. He was one of my favourite catchers when I first started playing Baseball Mogul.

Ditto (though it was OOTP for me). I was praying we'd nab Kendall a few years back when Hendry just ganked anyone and everyone from Pittsburgh.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #1435
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I know he's played like shit in Oakland, but 1) he's only 33, has at least a couple years left in him and 2) even if he continues hitting as he has, he's STILL better offensively than any Cubs catcher this year, post-Barrett.
About the only thing I can see going for Barrett is that maybe a move to the NL inflates his numbers a little.

He's been so awful as a hitter for the last 3 years that it's hard to imagine there's much of a chance of him rebounding in the future given his age and his recent trends. His power has completely deserted him, and his ability to draw walks has gone away this year. This would be at least somewhat palatable if he was considered a plus defensive catcher, but that's not the case either.

Outside of a couple of moderate rebound years in 2003-04, it's been since 2000 that Kendall was been a star hitter, and he's been flat-out awful since he joined Oakland. One of Billy Beane's few outright busts.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 AM   #1436
Ksyrup

His numbers don't tell the whole story, though. He's a great situational hitter. He does the little things you don't see in the box score.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #1437
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
His numbers don't tell the whole story, though. He's a great situational hitter. He does the little things you don't see in the box score.

Ksyrup been hanging with Joe Morgan too much.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #1438
Ksyrup

No, I've been hanging around here too much.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #1439
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Like grounding into double-plays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #1440
Ksyrup

Actually, GIDPs are in box scores. I'm talking more about things like moving the runner from second to the dugout on a 2-out groundball, or straightening up the Gatorade jug and cups when a teammate throws a fit. He does rank #1 on the list of fewest times thrown out trying to stretch a hit into extra bases per number of career hits, since 1970. So when he gets that rare opportunity in Chicago, he'll be golden.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-17-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #1441
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jerry Narron had this to say: "He gives everything he has every day. He plays the game the way it's meant to be played."
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #1442
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Actually, GIDPs are in box scores. I'm talking more about things like moving the runner from second to the dugout on a 2-out groundball, or straightening up the Gatorade jug and cups when a teammate throws a fit. He does rank #1 on the list of fewest times thrown out trying to stretch a hit into extra bases per number of career hits, since 1970. So when he gets that rare opportunity in Chicago, he'll be golden.

not to mention he led the Pirates to their first World Series title in decades.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #1443
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
"He plays the game the way it's meant to be played."

This usually translates to, "He sucks at baseball, but everyone in the clubhouse likes him and we're pretty certain he's not on steroids."
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #1444
Ksyrup

More chat fun:

Mark (Philly): I don't get it Rob. The Yanks have a good run differential so their record should be 53-37? Well guess what, It's Not! That stat is the dumbest stat I've ever seen, it means absolutely nothing. It's not like the league adjusts the teams records after the season based on run differential, so please stop bringing this up.

Rob Neyer: I'll say this real slow, Mark, so you might understand it (and again, I'm not judging you at all) . . . It. Is. Not. After. The. Season. Yet. And you know what? Even after the season, the run differentials will tell us some interesting things about NEXT season. I would admit the possibility that I'm wrong about this, except I've got a few thousand team-seasons backing me up.

Alas, no Joe Morgan today, I guess.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #1445
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL, great response by Neyer.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #1446
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I like Neyer, even though I don't really read him for much insight anymore. He was my (and I suspect many other people's) "gateway drug" into sabremetrics, and actually understanding things, rather than relying on tired cliches.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #1447
Ksyrup

Jason Kendall says fuck you and the SABRhorse you rode in on, how about that cliche?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-17-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #1448
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
LOL, great response by Neyer.

Really, that response perfectly sums up why I hate reading sabermetric sportswriting. Neyer is a condescending tool.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #1449
Ksyrup

In his defense, (a) he's writing for his audience, and (b) that was the second question/comment of the chat about the same thing.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #1450
Ksyrup

This was the first one. And usually, he gives about what he gets, and that one I posted above was not exactly a respectful comment to begin with from the poster.

Rob (Portland, OR): The problem with run differential, Rob, is that ploayoff teams are determinbed by RECORD. That's wins and losses. The Yankees have a great run defferentail, an all that its gotten them so far is a .500 record. .500 records don't make the playoffs in the AL, regardless of their RUN DIFFERENTIAL.

Rob Neyer: Rob, you're missing the point, Rob. It's NOT the end of the season yet. You can look at wins and losses all you like, but if you really believe in them, then put all your money on the Mariners. I'll bet you can get good odds.