Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #1401
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Can someone explain, if there is a need to streamline goalie sweaters why they need to look different then all the other jerseys?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #1402
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Can someone explain, if there is a need to streamline goalie sweaters why they need to look different then all the other jerseys?

Marketing, I suppose?
Only have to have one, instead of a road, home, and third.

I know why the one shown in the photo has white under the arms, though. It is so players will think they are seeing ice/boards through there when they really aren't.

I admit it seems like a pointless change, though.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-01-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #1403
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I know why the one shown in the photo has white under the arms, though. It is so players will think they are seeing ice/boards through there when they really aren't.

So they want to purposely distract the skaters?
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #1404
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So they want to purposely distract the skaters?

Goalies would. Look at the design on a lot of pads. They have white on the inside so it looks like there is a five-hole opening that may not really be there as you are coming down the ice.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-01-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #1405
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Goalies would. Look at the design on a lot of pads. They have white on the inside so it looks like there is a five-hole opening that may not really be there as you are coming down the ice.

But why would the league? The point of all the changes was to increase scoring...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #1406
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But why would the league? The point of all the changes was to increase scoring...

No idea. Maybe it is only on the practice version. When I stopped by Thrashers' camp, there were skaters wearing some with white underarms like that.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-01-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #1407
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, I'm off to the rink to watch Shattuck play, I'll give a report on your Georgia guy later tonight Tekneek.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #1408
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WOOT! preaseson bruins hockey on NESN!! niiice
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #1409
bob
College Starter

For fans in Detroit - the Wings have just release some tickets for the home opener. Good luck.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #1410
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

No worries here. I have the Center Ice Package and will be watching the Wings/Blues game from the comfort of my living room. I may just happen to catch every other team in action that night as well.

I think I may even watch the Wings/Blues game on Thursday, not to mention that I may peek in and see if anything interesting is brewing during the Phoenix/LA game thanks to the Gauthier hit on Roenick and Avery's subsequent yapping.

Ah, so good to have hockey back.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #1411
Johnny93g
College Starter

season starts tommorow....how about some predictions.......

btw, am i the only one who thinks Calgary wont finish 1st in the west....I dont see where all their goals are gonna come from....offensivly, their a 1 line team.......I also think having a young blueline like they do could hurt at times, no matter how much potential they have.....and their goalie is being called the best in the league, after 40 games as a starter.....to me, this doesnt add up to stanley cup favourites, like ive been reading in all the previews, but what do i know
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 10-04-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #1412
condors
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
season starts tommorow....how about some predictions.......

btw, am i the only one who thinks Calgary wont finish 1st in the west....I dont see where all their goals are gonna come from....offensivly, their a 1 line team.......I also think having a young blueline like they do could hurt at times, no matter how much potential they have.....and their goalie is being called the best in the league, after 40 games as a starter.....to me, this doesnt add up to stanley cup favourites, like ive been reading in all the previews, but what do i know

Flyers win the Stanley Cup!
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #1413
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I'm also not seeing the Calgary dominance that everyone else seems to. As you say they're a one-line team, and their goalie is unproven -- he could be the next Hasek, but he could also be the next Jim Carey. More than likely he's the next JS Guigere, meaning he's upper-tier but not a guy who wins Cups on his own. And even when he was on fire in 2004, the Flames weren't a great team until the playoff run.

I think they look like a real good team, but #1 overall (as per Sports Illustrated)? I don't see it. And that goes for Nashville too. I think some of the experts are far too eager to predict a complete league-wide shakeup in the standings, and are too eager to write off teams like Detroit, Colorado and Toronto and to boost up unproven teams.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #1414
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It will be really interesting to see what Detroit does this year. I haven't watched any games (Center Ice Package doesn't kick in until the regular season starts), so I base this short preview off what I read and my gut feeling.

Forwards:
While preparing for my fantasy draft this year, I sat down with the Hockey News preview magazine and jotted down potential picks, going team by team. I was surprised how few teams had more than 2 or 3 decent possibilities. The Wings, however, had a few: Lang, Zetterberg, Datsuyk, Shanahan, Draper, Lidstrom, and Schneider. That list doesn't include Yzerman, so they still have some talent. They also appear to have a good amount of role players up front with Mikael Samuelsson signing, Maltby, Holmstrom, and Frazen (a big Swedish checker just signed this year). Dan Cleary beat out Rem Murray and Blake Sloane for the final spot. I hear that Cleary is great in the regular season and then disappears. Also hear he had motivational and lack of maturity problems early in his career. If he has those behind him, could be a decent depth guy.

Defense:
They lost Niklas Kronvall for 6 months. A bad injury. A big blow for the team. He is their best prospect and won the Norris equivalent in the AHL last year. A smaller guy, but a big hitter, good skater, smooth passer, and a decent shot. Easily top 4 quality d-man. A tough blow to take and eerily similar to what happened happened with Hatcher 2 years ago. After Lidstrom and Schneider, things get shaky along the blueline. Chelios is 87. Fischer is up and down. Then you have a bunch of fringe players like Jamie Rivers, Andy Delmore, Brett Lebda (I have no clue who this is), and Andreas Lilja (all I know about this guy is that he his big, Swedish, and was accused of raping some girl along with Renberg and some other Swedish dude). Not a ton of depth along the blueline.

Goalies:
Legace and Osgood will scare no one. There are not likely to be many games where the Wings will feel that they are going in with the better goalie. Given that Osgood has a groin injury (these things have a way of persisting) a weak spot is even weaker. The next guy in line is Jimmy Howard. A 20 year old goalie out of Maine. He's a top prospect and should be the goalie of the future. The future being 2 or 3 years from now, not next week.

Summary:
The Wings should still be a play-off team even with the questions in goal. I could see them winning their division. It's not the strongest. Nashville should be "ok". Vokoun is tough and they added Kariya, but that's still not terrifying. Chicago is certainly improved with Khabibhulin and Aucoin, but is still not a solid team and will be counting on quite a few younger players, especially at forward. St. Louis has Weight, Keith Tkachuk (aka Fats Domino), Brewer (question marks still hovering around him), Lalime, and not a whole lot else. Even if they don't win it, I see them hovering around 4-6 in the West.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #1415
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think what you meant to say was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
The Red Wings got their asses kicked by the Leafs in a home-and-home at the end of the pre-season.
(And in case you're wondering: yes, pre-season games only count when the Leafs win. They are completely meaningless when we tie or lose.)
Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #1416
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Didn't realise that HDNet was going to show a game on opening night, so I get to see 2 games tomorrow. Rangers/Flyers on OLN and Coyotes/Canucks on HDNet.

HDNet also announced their broadcast crew and it is Dan Kelly doing pbp with Grant Fuhr and Larry Murphy doing color commentating. HDNet will be showing games on Thurdays and Saturdays.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #1417
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I think what you meant to say was:

(And in case you're wondering: yes, pre-season games only count when the Leafs win. They are completely meaningless when we tie or lose.)

Honolulu_Blue: "Leafs suck!"
Maple Leafs: "No they don't."
Honolulu_Blue: "They totally suck!"
Maple Leafs: "They kicked the Red Wings' asses in a home-and-home at the end of the pre-season. (And in case you're wondering: yes, pre-season games only count when the Leafs win. They are completely meaningless when we tie or lose.)"
Honolulu_Blue: "HA! Why don't you go plan the parade route! Boo-yah!"
(Wildly looks around for another fan to high-five.)
Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #1418
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

*waves hand for HB...in pity*
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #1419
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Honolulu_Blue: "Leafs suck!"
Maple Leafs: "No they don't."
Honolulu_Blue: "They totally suck!"
Maple Leafs: "They kicked the Red Wings' asses in a home-and-home at the end of the pre-season. (And in case you're wondering: yes, pre-season games only count when the Leafs win. They are completely meaningless when we tie or lose.)"
Honolulu_Blue: "HA! Why don't you go plan the parade route! Boo-yah!"
(Wildly looks around for another fan to high-five.)
Very well played. We can be friends again.

(Mainly because the Leafs and Wings don't play this season.)
Old 10-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #1420
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, am I ultra cool or an uber dork for taking tomorrow night off?
the wife and I are going to chow down on yummy nachos, and spend the evening channel surfing - probably focusing on the B's/Canadiens and Sens / Leafs (mostly because I assume this is the HNIC broadcast, before switching to the Avs. I love Center Ice, and I REALLY love having all the teams play on opening night.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #1421
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
the wife and I are going to chow down on yummy nachos, and spend the evening channel surfing - probably focusing on the B's/Canadiens and Sens / Leafs (mostly because I assume this is the HNIC broadcast, before switching to the Avs. I love Center Ice, and I REALLY love having all the teams play on opening night.

Honolulu_Blue says: ULTRA COOL.

Sounds like a perfect evening to me. In fact, I plan on going home early (yes, going home at 7:00 p.m. is early for me, sad, but true...) and Lady H_B is going to fix me up some tuna noodle casserole in honor of the start of the NHL season. I like tuna noodle casserole and I don't get that kind of food since Lady H_B prefers to make a lot of delicious Indian foods and homemade pastas and the like (I suffer, I know ).

I actually printed out the Center Ice Package schedule for October and highlighted all "games of interest" in yellow. I gave the schedule and a green highligher to Lady H_B and told her she could highlight her "games of interest" in green. She rolled her eyes at me and left the room.

Between the time in Europe (I caught a few games here and there and listened to a lot on internet radio) and the strike, this will be the first, serious NHL action I will have been able to watch in 4 years.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #1422
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually printed out the Center Ice Package schedule for October and highlighted all "games of interest" in yellow. I gave the schedule and a green highligher to Lady H_B and told her she could highlight her "games of interest" in green. She rolled her eyes at me and left the room.

That was very progressive of you. No one can blame you for trying to be sexist when it comes to your hockey

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #1423
klayman
College Benchwarmer

My Predictions:

The Flames may or may not live up to their expectations.

Some average or young goalie nobody counted on will play over his head and lead his team into/through the playoffs, but fall tragically short, never to be heard of again.

Rain will fall.

Don Cherry will say something funny/stupid that will offend french canadians/foreigners/everybody.

A sports writer somewhere will write an article about how better his team is because they don't have the money/don't have the crowd/don't have the players that all the other teams can get so easily, thus making me so angry I could write a very nasty but polite email reminding the writer that he should put down the pen and search for a brain.

Said writer will write back how he is vastly superior to me cause he has a degree in journalism from some 3rd rate crappy/run down/government funded school and I don't, so I couldn't possibly know anything about hockey.

The sun will shine.

The Edmonton Oilers will play brutal/shitty/ugly hockey until late November when they realise that won't get them into the playoffs. They will then play fantastic/great/wonderful/80's like hockey for the rest of the year, only to fall 1 to 5 points short of a playoff spot. If only they had played hard those first few games in October...hmm...

Coaches will be fired. Ted Nolan will not replace them.

GM's will be fired, and in desperation they will say "But look how crappy Glen Sather is doing, and he still has a job." Unless of course, it's Glen Sather, who will then say, if only I had Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr. Then I'd be the greatest GM ever again.

Sometime in winter, snow will fall. This will come as a shock to many people who drive and don't seem to remember that snow is slippery.

The Leafs will suck. (but that happens every year)
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #1424
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Not sure about B's/Habs, but the Leafs/Sens game is TSN...HNIC doesn't kick off until Saturday, and that's assuming CBC gets their labour deal squared away (all signs point toward them doing so).

Last edited by Simms : 10-04-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #1425
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
That was very progressive of you. No one can blame you for trying to be sexist when it comes to your hockey

SI

Well, to be fair, Lady H_B is a hockey to some degree. She was a Devils fan before I met her and keeps pressuring me for Caps tickets. Hockey is good. Football tolerable. Anything else... not so much. A perfect fit for me, really.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #1426
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, to be fair, Lady H_B is a hockey to some degree. She was a Devils fan before I met her and keeps pressuring me for Caps tickets. Hockey is good. Football tolerable. Anything else... not so much. A perfect fit for me, really.

you make it sound like Capitals tickets are hard to find???
Old 10-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #1427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
you make it sound like Capitals tickets are hard to find???

Not at all. I just refuse to pay for them (other than perhaps when the Wings visit in December 8). The firm I work for has some very good seats (about 3 rows up from the visitor's bench.) I will most likely snag them a few times this season,
Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #1428
Karim
College Starter

Well, as the resident Flames' fan, I have to agree with most of what has been said. #1 overall is ridiculous. But they are much deeper this year than last, one of the few teams that can make that claim.

The second line projects to be Simon-Reinprecht-Kobasew which played really well in the pre-season. Reinprecht's health is a constant question mark and Kobasew needs to demonstrate why he's a first round pick.

I have no worries about Kiprusoff. He was outstanding in the pre-season and actually looks quicker; his lateral movement is phenomenal. He carried on his play last season into the World Cup and in Sweden. There are no worries in goal unless he gets injured.

My expectations are to clinch a playoff spot before Game #80. After that, anything else is bonus. This team is built to grind out teams in the playoffs, not secure 100 points in the regular season.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #1429
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The NHL Center Ice main channel is working today and the digital cable schedule is up!!!!

me = psyched!!!!

~rpi-fan
Old 10-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #1430
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hm.. I should start working on my wife with hockey. But without an NHL team here, I'm not sure that's possible. After all, she loves going to baseball games now and even follows the Royals despite not liking it at all before knowing me.

I now have a new mission

SI

Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #1431
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Dale Purinton suspended for 10 games for trying to gouge out the eye of Colton Orr
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=138722

sounds like a really winner
Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #1432
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Hm.. I should start working on my wife with hockey. But without an NHL team here, I'm not sure that's possible. After all, she loves going to baseball games now and even follows the Royals despite not liking it at all before knowing me.

I now have a new mission

SI

I love the fact that my wife is a hockey fan. I don't think it would be half as much fun to watch hockey if she wasn't into it.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #1433
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
My Predictions:

Coaches will be fired. Ted Nolan will not replace them.

. Can someone tell me why he was blackballed?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #1434
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Pens and Devils tomorrow night! Yippie! I've been a Devils fan for over 15 years now, but I live near Pittsburgh, so I'm trying to like the Penguins. I had always disliked them before, but I'll grow out of it. Anyway, I hope the Devils win, but I'm just looking forward to a good game. I wonder how the Devils will be on defense without my favorite player, Scott Niedermayer. The Pens may skate circles around the arena tomorrow night.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 10-04-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #1435
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
. Can someone tell me why he was blackballed?

Something about getting a GM fired, hence no GM will hire him. At least, that's what it was. When he interviewed for the open Flames position years ago, rumors were that he was completely out of touch with the players and the game at that time, and his demands (read:money) were completely out in left field.

However, the odds of Ron McLean bringing up his name as soon as a job opening comes up remain pretty good, I think.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #1436
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Something about getting a GM fired, hence no GM will hire him. At least, that's what it was. When he interviewed for the open Flames position years ago, rumors were that he was completely out of touch with the players and the game at that time, and his demands (read:money) were completely out in left field.

However, the odds of Ron McLean bringing up his name as soon as a job opening comes up remain pretty good, I think.

Actually, the rumours in Buffalo at the time indicated that it had something to do with Nolan romancing Dominik Hasek's wife behind the Dominator's back.

Nolan lost his job immediately after winning the Jack Adams Trophy for coach of the year as well; another contributing factor was the rocky relationship with GM John Muckler.

Buffalo decided to wash their hands of both the coach and GM and started fresh. Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff were hired and both remain in Buffalo over eight years later.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #1437
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
Actually, the rumours in Buffalo at the time indicated that it had something to do with Nolan romancing Dominik Hasek's wife behind the Dominator's back.

Nolan lost his job immediately after winning the Jack Adams Trophy for coach of the year as well; another contributing factor was the rocky relationship with GM John Muckler.

Buffalo decided to wash their hands of both the coach and GM and started fresh. Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff were hired and both remain in Buffalo over eight years later.

which has held us back...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #1438
Pyser
Pro Rookie

just ordered my center ice package. its on!!!!! go devs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #1439
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

For those with DirecTV and HD, channel 95 will have Hurricanes/Lightning in HD tonight at 7 PM Eastern. AT 10 PM, Coyotes/Canucks will be on HDNet.

Since I have to be up at 3 AM, I will only be watching a 7 PM game (most likely Islanders/Sabres) and off to bed. I have to rely on the trusty TiVo to get Senators/Leafs and Avalanche/Oilers for me.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #1440
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm gonna watch 3 games at the same time. How? No clue. But I'll do it.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #1441
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I'm gonna watch 3 games at the same time. How? No clue. But I'll do it.

Well, duh. 3 TVs

SI

Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #1442
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, I take it no one working for OLN has seen a hockey telecast in the last 20 years?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #1443
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, other than the pitiful, pitiful production from OLN, and having a couple of Center Ice games blacked out that shouldn't have been, I liked what I saw last night.

Mostly watched the Bruins/Canadiens and Avs/Oilers and both games featured fast-pace back and forth action. There were a LOT of great transitional plays - frequently you'd see a play in a team's offensive zone turnover with a long pass out to center creating a quick chance the other way. If the rules get enforced all year, speed is going to become extremely important.

I really liked that there was significantly less clutching, grabbing, interfering and obstructing. There also was less hitting though, which I hope is just temporary. I thought that the officiating was uneven, and seemed to be vastly different between the games that I watched.

I think I'm going to like this new, more wide-open style. I think it's going to bring back into emphasis the offensive-minded defenseman - the guy who can sneak in and join a rush, or make that breakout pass from his own zone. They've been a liability in many systems lately, but now they should become highly coveted. And I think you are going to see a bit more separation in the skill levels of the goalies - the difference between a "good" goalie and a "great" goalie wasn't that big before, but with the increased offense, this gap should widen a bit. The decent goalies on good teams (the Dan Cloutiers and the David Aebischers) are going to need to step it up.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #1444
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
Mostly watched the Bruins/Canadiens and Avs/Oilers and both games featured fast-pace back and forth action. There were a LOT of great transitional plays - frequently you'd see a play in a team's offensive zone turnover with a long pass out to center creating a quick chance the other way. If the rules get enforced all year, speed is going to become extremely important.

If you get a chance, watch the hilights of the Kings-Stars game.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #1445
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
If you get a chance, watch the hilights of the Kings-Stars game.

actually I did get to see a lot of that. Sergei Zubov is one of the guys that I'm thinking is going to have a nice, nice season under the new rules.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #1446
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

GO DEVILS! Nice show by the boys from Jersey.

Anyway, I couldn't catch much hockey last night, what was so horrible about OLN's production?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #1447
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
GO DEVILS! Nice show by the boys from Jersey.

Anyway, I couldn't catch much hockey last night, what was so horrible about OLN's production?

ever catch games from the 70s on ESPN Classic? where the game is filmed with one camera and there are some very cheesy on-screen graphics added on to show the score?

well, if you take that game, add a camera for goalie close-ups with a fogged up lens, and you shoot the rest of the up top action zoomed in so far that you can't see anything besides the puck carrier, and you have OLN.

thank god for Center Ice, because I don't think the OLN broadcasts are even watchable for me.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #1448
Johnny93g
College Starter

i saw some discussion in the other hockey thread on shootouts, but sense this is the official hockey thread, and we saw our 1st shootout last night, im bring my it here......what are your opinions on the NHL shootout....

I personally hate it, and thats not because the Leafs lost....

I dislike deciding the game in a different fashion that it's played....i think ot's are exciting, and i have no problem with ties....i am a hockey purist though, and id rather ot's are played 5-5 as well.....The NBA equiviliant would be ending games with a 3-point comp, or a dunk comp...makes no sense in my opinion
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #1449
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, it didn't take long.

hockeysfuture.com is running a special on the newest phenom, 16 year old Angelo Esposito of Quebec in the Q.

He has more points then Cros did at this point in his Q career, and like Cros was a standout at Shattacks.

I've heard of him for a while, and he's in EHM so I saw him develope in there.

Regardless, anyone get a chance to see this kid yet?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #1450
Travis
Pro Rookie

Personally, my biggest problem with shootouts is that you're only including two areas out of three in the game. Each team has 6 defensemen who battle for 65 minutes trying to stop teams from scoring through blocked shots, battles in front of the net, etc (well okay, some teams may only have 4 or 5 D filling that roll while the others are there to play the PP), then the shootout starts and they're forced to the sideline pretty much. I'd rather see a 2 on 1 format with both forwards having to maintain forward momentum at all times. I like that they are trying to get rid of ties, but I agree with the idea of having 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win and 1 for a shootout win with no points for any sort of loss. It would force the teams with a weak group of shootout players to really try to force the issue, and later in the year when points are getting tight, to make that even moreso.

Yeah, obvious that I've always played defense isn't it
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote