Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #1401
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Mohinder continues to be clunjky as ever, but so be it.
That's the best way to put it. I'll reference this if I use clunjky later and give credit where credit is due.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #1402
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

here's the translation of the French part between Ma Petrelli and the Haitian guy...

Ma Petrelli: Au moins maintenant elle sera en sécurité. (turning to the Haitian) Et pas grâce à vous.
Haitian: Écoutez, j'ai fait tout ce que j'ai pû. Elle aurait bien fini par trouver sa propre voie.

This translates to...
Ma Petrelli: At least now she'll be safe. (turning to Haitian) And not because of you.
Haitian: Listen, I did all I could. She would have eventually found her own way.

FM
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #1403
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
here's the translation of the French part between Ma Petrelli and the Haitian guy...

Ma Petrelli: Au moins maintenant elle sera en sécurité. (turning to the Haitian) Et pas grâce à vous.
Haitian: Écoutez, j'ai fait tout ce que j'ai pû. Elle aurait bien fini par trouver sa propre voie.

This translates to...
Ma Petrelli: At least now she'll be safe. (turning to Haitian) And not because of you.
Haitian: Listen, I did all I could. She would have eventually found her own way.

FM

Thanks for the translation. I don't understand why the show didn't have this subtitled.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #1404
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Thanks for the translation. I don't understand why the show didn't have this subtitled.

Seemed like the gist was pretty obvious. She was upset with him, he was contrite, they obviously all knew each other. The main point was to give us a quick indication that she was in deep with what has been going on, and the actual words don't make it as clear as just hearing her speak his language.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #1405
TRO
College Prospect

For those that are wondering where Wireless went, this is why you need to read the comics
Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 PM   #1406
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have a theory. If Ma Petrelli is a higher up in whatever organization HRG works for, maybe Claire talks her into sparing daddy.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #1407
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Shapeshifter girl strikes me as having pretty strong potential for signaling the beginning of the end of this show being good.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-07-2007 at 08:02 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #1408
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Shapeshifter girl strikes me as having pretty strong potential for signaling the beginning of the end of this show being good.

You think this character is the official "Jump the Shark" character? Why?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #1409
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
You think this character is the official "Jump the Shark" character? Why?

It just struck me as having a swirl of lameness about it; her annoying persona, the ability to mimick the voice of a dead person she'd never met, an annoying visual effect, and what seems like a pretty ridiculous power overall.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #1411
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
It just struck me as having a swirl of lameness about it; her annoying persona, the ability to mimick the voice of a dead person she'd never met, an annoying visual effect, and what seems like a pretty ridiculous power overall.

I'm thinking the Haitian can block it? He was able to stop whats-his-name the cop's power.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #1412
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm thinking the Haitian can block it? He was able to stop whats-his-name the cop's power.

I think the Haitian's ability to block Parkman's power is directly tied to his ability to wipe minds. I don't think he has the ability to block anyone else's power. If so, he could have just shutdown Radioactive Man.

Parkman would be the key to getting around the shapeshifter. She can change her shape, but that probably wouldn't protect her from mind-reading.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #1413
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
I'll agree. I hated this character as it looked like WWE writers added a character so that they won't have to logically work their way out of situations anymore. Just toss shapeshifter in for the convenient out. That's piss poor writing and I was already sick of her after one episode. Just lazy, lazy crap and a plot convenience that could easily ruin an otherwise excellent show.

I don't know. Shapeshifting as a super power is sort of Superheroes 101 type stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #1414
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think the Haitian's ability to block Parkman's power is directly tied to his ability to wipe minds. I don't think he has the ability to block anyone else's power. If so, he could have just shutdown Radioactive Man.

Parkman would be the key to getting around the shapeshifter. She can change her shape, but that probably wouldn't protect her from mind-reading.

But she is not a shapeshifter. I think that's the key. It seems very clear that she is altering the viewer's mind so that she appears to be something different. However, it's completely in the mind's eye. Someone had a better name for her earlier, but I can't think of what it was or find it. But she is not a shapeshifter, more of a specialized illusionist. Having said that, I think the Haitian is able to block psionic skills like mind reading and may be able to block this one as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #1415
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The Doppelganger?

Anyway, I agree that besides being HAWT, she is annoying beyond tolerance. It's like the network told the producers, "you know, you relly need to add a character that taps into that Gen-Y teenager-attitude demo. Put something together for the next episode."

It wasn't a coincidence that her character fit perfectly into the storyline of the last episode in 2 places (mimicking the dead girlfriend and then HRG's wife), so hopefully her usefulness is over and she'll be toast soon.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #1416
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
But she is not a shapeshifter. I think that's the key. It seems very clear that she is altering the viewer's mind so that she appears to be something different. However, it's completely in the mind's eye. Someone had a better name for her earlier, but I can't think of what it was or find it. But she is not a shapeshifter, more of a specialized illusionist. Having said that, I think the Haitian is able to block psionic skills like mind reading and may be able to block this one as well.

Yeah, she's an illusionist. And also, yes, I'd think the Haitian would be able to block her power as well... as he is with Parkman.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #1417
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I don't know. Shapeshifting as a super power is sort of Superheroes 101 type stuff.

This is not an excuse, for anything, ever. It doesn't mean it isn't lame, or that it doesn't "not play" when in a TV show rather than in a comic book.

And in fact, i'd have no problem with her if her skills were a little more limited in some way. I could tolerate her being a "chameleon" and being able to visually appear to be someone else, but the fact that she could look like them, SOUND like them (again, even when it's a dead person she's never met), and even change the visuals of her surroundings, it's absurd.

And if her power is in fact just being an illusionist, how did she conjur up the voice of a dead woman she's never heard?

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-07-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #1418
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

by the way, brilliant police investigating. They're responding to reports of gunshots and they never even enter the place? The two of them couldn't have been shooting a 3rd person?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #1419
Easy Mac

I could have sworn Isaac still had blood on him as well.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #1420
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I could have sworn Isaac still had blood on him as well.

I also loved that Peter didnt take 2 seconds to wipe the blood off his face. So absurd.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #1421
Easy Mac

Quote:
I also loved that Peter didnt take 2 seconds to wipe the blood off his face. So absurd.

To be fair, he was invisible for a while, he probably couldn't see his face
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #1422
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
And if her power is in fact just being an illusionist, how did she conjur up the voice of a dead woman she's never heard?

And you know she's never heard her voice how?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #1423
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is not an excuse, for anything, ever. It doesn't mean it isn't lame, or that it doesn't "not play" when in a TV show rather than in a comic book.

And in fact, i'd have no problem with her if her skills were a little more limited in some way. I could tolerate her being a "chameleon" and being able to visually appear to be someone else, but the fact that she could look like them, SOUND like them (again, even when it's a dead person she's never met), and even change the visuals of her surroundings, it's absurd.

My first comment is that Mystique has these powers and the X-Men series did very well and I believe she was popular with non-comic fans (I do realize the actress helped ). Second is that if we go on my theory that it's a mental power she may be able to pull the image (and sound) from the mind of those she is deceiving. These are just wild theories, but certainly "plausible" (in a fake world kinda way).

Old 03-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #1424
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, maybe HRG had some audio or video of Simone... or if she is an illusionist, she doesn't even have to know how Simone looked or sounded. As long as the people looking at her think they knew what Simone looked and sounded like... it's all good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #1425
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah, maybe HRG had some audio or video of Simone... or if she is an illusionist, she doesn't even have to know how Simone looked or sounded. As long as the people looking at her think they knew what Simone looked and sounded like... it's all good.

I'd be shocked if he didn't have audio/video of Simone. He has indicated that he is afraid of bugs in his own home with his interactions with his wife in which they used various measures to hide their conversation. Certainly, the organization is high tech and I'm sure they have some bugs in Isaac's place to keep an eye on him.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #1426
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

In a superhero show like this I am pretty willing to let just about anything go. It did seem convenient that the shapechanger showed up just when she was needed, but considering the resources the company has, you could easily say that she wasn't needed before she they kept her on the bench. So much of this show is going to come out of nowhere, so I just deal.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #1427
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
In a superhero show like this I am pretty willing to let just about anything go. It did seem convenient that the shapechanger showed up just when she was needed, but considering the resources the company has, you could easily say that she wasn't needed before she they kept her on the bench. So much of this show is going to come out of nowhere, so I just deal.

Agreed.

It is not hard for me to suspend anything remotely out of line with reality when watching a show like this. A character that can morph her appearance into another character is as believable as a guy whose moodswings produce different levels of radioactivity or a guy who can manipulate time, but as long as the acting stays solid (which I have questions about from time to time), I can enjoy the show.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #1428
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And I mean they could easily just kill her now that her work is done... or somewhere down the line, before her powers really mess anything up.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #1429
Travis
Pro Rookie

The one that still sticks out for me is how Sylar got Eden. Has that ever been explained in show? They seemed very sure of their preventative measures to keep him trapped, yet he got her easily enough, yet right after that they still weren't very worried about him escaping.

I'm hoping/assuming I missed an explanation somewhere, but still probably the biggest *hole* I can think of in the show (and I wasn't all that fond of the voice imitation abilities, they could have had her unable to copy voices and still pull those scenes off, just would have taken a little more inventiveness).
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #1430
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
by the way, brilliant police investigating. They're responding to reports of gunshots and they never even enter the place? The two of them couldn't have been shooting a 3rd person?

I don't think they were responding to reports of gunshots. I think they were responding to the anonymous "tip" that she was shot and killed and that there was a dead woman there.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #1431
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
I don't think they were responding to reports of gunshots. I think they were responding to the anonymous "tip" that she was shot and killed and that there was a dead woman there.

Correct. They were on a tip, nothing more. Given how Isaac looks at the door, there really isn't a lot of need to barge the door down and start searching. (which they couldn't do without Isaac anyway without a warrant, unless they felt he was hiding something)

It's not unreasonable to think they would ask a few questions before going in. And they were on their way in when the illusion girl came in.

As for her. . . we shouldn't snap to a judgement on her quite yet. She may have weaknesses we don't yet know about. (in fact, it's quite likely she does) Every superhero has a "kryptonite" I'm interested to see what direction they take her character in.

So far just about everytime I've found a storyline in this show tiresome or predictable, it's picked up quickly within the next couple of episodes. I think I've had far more of an interest in the "Nikki" storyline than most people here. I'm also interested in Parkman. I don't think his storyline has been acted especially well, but I do have an interest in the character.

The show continues to be on my must see list. I can't wait until it starts back up again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #1432
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have a theory. If Ma Petrelli is a higher up in whatever organization HRG works for, maybe Claire talks her into sparing daddy.
You guys are reading too much into it. Ma Petrelli just knew about Claire, she doens't work for anyone. She is the reason why the Haitian had said he had a higher power tell him not to erase her memory.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #1433
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Correct. They were on a tip, nothing more. Given how Isaac looks at the door, there really isn't a lot of need to barge the door down and start searching. (which they couldn't do without Isaac anyway without a warrant, unless they felt he was hiding something)

It's not unreasonable to think they would ask a few questions before going in. And they were on their way in when the illusion girl came in.

As for her. . . we shouldn't snap to a judgement on her quite yet. She may have weaknesses we don't yet know about. (in fact, it's quite likely she does) Every superhero has a "kryptonite" I'm interested to see what direction they take her character in.

So far just about everytime I've found a storyline in this show tiresome or predictable, it's picked up quickly within the next couple of episodes. I think I've had far more of an interest in the "Nikki" storyline than most people here. I'm also interested in Parkman. I don't think his storyline has been acted especially well, but I do have an interest in the character.

The show continues to be on my must see list. I can't wait until it starts back up again.

quote from the police:

"Some of your neighbors say they heard an argument, then gun shots."

Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #1434
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
quote from the police:
"Some of your neighbors say they heard an argument, then gun shots."

As opposed to what... "We got an anonymous tip that you killed your ex-girlfriend in here?" Given that it was right after the scene when Nathan told Peter he'd take care of Isaac shooting her by phoning in an anonymous tip, I think it's reasonable to assume that's what happened.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #1435
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
As opposed to what... "We got an anonymous tip that you killed your ex-girlfriend in here?" Given that it was right after the scene when Nathan told Peter he'd take care of Isaac shooting her by phoning in an anonymous tip, I think it's reasonable to assume that's what happened.

watch the whole scene. It references both a tip and a statement from the neightbors. it's beyond absurd investiagation which is due to sloppy writing.

------------

*bang on door*

Cop:Issac Mendez? NPYD, we have a few questions for you.

Cop: Mr Mendez? Detective Jeff Tracey, NYPD. You know this woman? Simone Devaux?

Isaac: She and I.... we broke up recently.

Cop: We received an anonymous phone call that she might be hurt. Some of your neighbors said they heard an argument, then gun shots. Mind if we take a look around?

----------
Simone shows up. Cop apoligizes for taking up his time and leaves. Wonderful investigation, cop. Textbook.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-09-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #1436
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cop: We received an anonymous phone call that she might be hurt. Some of your neighbors said they heard an argument, then gun shots. Mind if we take a look around?

I dunno... I thought those were together in the sentence. Ah well, either way.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #1437
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
watch the whole scene. It references both a tip and a statement from the neightbors. it's beyond absurd investiagation which is due to sloppy writing.

------------

*bang on door*

Cop:Issac Mendez? NPYD, we have a few questions for you.

Cop: Mr Mendez? Detective Jeff Tracey, NYPD. You know this woman? Simone Devaux?

Isaac: She and I.... we broke up recently.

----------
Simone shows up. Cop apoligizes for taking up his time and leaves. Wonderful investigation, cop. Textbook.

I disagree - it seemed to me like the cops weren't there to investigate anything. I took it as they were told Simone was shot and killed but that to not seem suspicious they fabricated the story about the neighbors and were going to look around to "discover" what they already knew. Then when he saw Simone he obviously thought she wasn't dead so there was no reason to be there any longer.

Besides, how likely is it that the police are going to show up to a call from a neighbor and ask for the person by name? Wouldn't the "neighbor" calling it in say that the guy next door was arguing with his girlfriend and gunshots were fired and if so how would the police know the girlfriend's name? It's not like Simone was a missing person and they were on the hunt for her.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #1438
Easy Mac

Is Heroes ripping off "Watchmen" comic? *SOMEWHAT MAJOR SPOILERS IN LINK*
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=thud&id=8969

Shorthand, non spoilers:
Plotlines in Heroes are exactly like those from the Watchmen comics. I understand there are only so many story lines out there and they've all seemingly been done to death in comics, but as the author states, there's a difference between homages and wholesale rips of stories. Personally, I've never read the Watchman comics, so its still a new plotline for me, but it does seem kind of cheap.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #1439
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Coupling the fact that Watchmen is hardly an obscure comic (I have friends who worship it and there's a movie in development) and the leadin to that article, I have a hard time taking it seriously.

If it were a ripoff of Watchmen there'd be a hell of a lot more commotion out there than a single hater.

Granted I didn't read the article in full due to the spoiler warning .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #1440
spleen1015
Coordinator

What I read in the 2nd paragraph is a major, major spoiler.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #1441
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Shorthand, non spoilers:
Plotlines in Heroes are exactly like those from the Watchmen comics. I understand there are only so many story lines out there and they've all seemingly been done to death in comics, but as the author states, there's a difference between homages and wholesale rips of stories. Personally, I've never read the Watchman comics, so its still a new plotline for me, but it does seem kind of cheap.

I have the Watchmen TPB (unread as of yet) in addition to watching Heroes, so I definitely don't want to check out the spoilers.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #1442
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Shorthand, non spoilers:

While I don't want to read the spoiler, I've read Watchmen well over a dozen times, so it's pretty easy to figure out what they are talking about.

I assume it is a bit of a rip-off, but it's something that's been done in other comics (quite recently in fact) a handful of times. It's sort of a logical "real world" way to deal with supers.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #1443
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I always thought Watchmen was overrated. Good read, but not nearly as good as some of Chris Claremont's early X-Men stuff nor nearly as good as Bendis' Ultimate Spiderman. Granted, those are radically different from Alan Moore's Watchmen, but I really don't get why Watchmen gets so much praise.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #1444
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I always thought Watchmen was overrated. Good read, but not nearly as good as some of Chris Claremont's early X-Men stuff nor nearly as good as Bendis' Ultimate Spiderman. Granted, those are radically different from Alan Moore's Watchmen, but I really don't get why Watchmen gets so much praise.

Because it's the best comic mini-series/graphic novel ever.

'Nuff said.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #1445
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Because it's the best comic mini-series/graphic novel ever.

'Nuff said.

Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns was better.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #1446
KevinNU7
College Starter

I think I am one episode behind so I am not reading this thread yet. Last episode I saw was 18arasite. nbc.com does not have a new one up but I assumed last night's was new too. Can anyone confirm through PMs that another episode has aired and I should wait to watch it on nbc.com before posting in here?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #1447
Easy Mac

There wasn't one on last night. It comes back on the 23rd of April
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #1448
KevinNU7
College Starter

I wanted the response in PM but I couldn't resist to look
Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #1449
Easy Mac

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/03/18/nbc-sued-over-heroes/

Heroes being sued for stealing the Isaac story from someone. Though to be fair, an artist painting a bleak future is nothing new... and the idea if buildings being destroyed in NY isn't exactly a work of fiction. Probably will settle, since its never worth it for a big company to take these things to court if only for the negative publicity part.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #1450
Easy Mac

There is now definitely no way I am missing this show again. Not that I was ever planning to, but this pic seals it... I need me some Hayden Pants.

hxxp://www.egotastic.com/entertainment/celebrities/hayden-panettiere/hayden-panettiere-breast-licker-002362