Old 04-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #1401
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hey, you asked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #1402
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my wife made a great observation about McBride - everytime she's about to mention God, her arm goes up in the air. predicted it perfectly during her performance. had me LOLing.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #1403
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That suck was teh suck, but she has a great voice.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #1404
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
I found a loophole because I think the way he phrased it was purposeful.

Look, I'm an attorney, and I make my living by reviewing things just like this, to make sure my clients aren't leaving themselves open to unnecessary risk because someone says something in a particular way that can have alternate meanings, yet still say they addressed whatever the issue is. I also do a fair bit of the same kind of "wordsmithing" for my clients. I know how the game is played. And when you have a company that intentionally changes the facts for the "entertainment value of the show" the way this one does (cut-and-paste auditions to appear like they were in front of the judges, or the auditions alleged to have been in Austin that weren't, for instance), then I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt - I'll read into what he says precisely what he isn't saying.

Because this show is a contest (in which contestants will receive monetary value), you would agree though that the FCC would prevent Idol from actually manipulating the results? So, I would agree that proper wordsmithing would allow them to do what you say (although it's up in the air if they are in fact doing that), but it would not allow them to kick off a contestant who did not in fact have the lowest votes.

The initial point about what Seacrest said this week was more about trying to show that Sanjaya was in fact legitimately voted off, not that AI was picking and choosing themselves who to vote off.

As for the little disclaimer at the end, with the way it is worded about "power voting." I would say two things. First, any legitimate reading of that by a court/jury would be that AI is going to have to prove a fraud on the voting system was attempted in order to invoke the clause. Second, if AI lawyers think they have sufficiently protected their clients from purposely manipulating the results at their whim by inclusion of the short clause at the very end of the show, they are bad lawyers.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #1405
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
I found a loophole because I think the way he phrased it was purposeful.

Look, I'm an attorney, and I make my living by reviewing things just like this, to make sure my clients aren't leaving themselves open to unnecessary risk because someone says something in a particular way that can have alternate meanings, yet still say they addressed whatever the issue is. I also do a fair bit of the same kind of "wordsmithing" for my clients. I know how the game is played. And when you have a company that intentionally changes the facts for the "entertainment value of the show" the way this one does (cut-and-paste auditions to appear like they were in front of the judges, or the auditions alleged to have been in Austin that weren't, for instance), then I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt - I'll read into what he says precisely what he isn't saying.

Because this show is a contest (in which contestants will receive monetary value), and in which voters are charged for voting, you would agree though that the FCC and general fraud laws would prevent Idol from actually manipulating the results? So, I would agree that proper wordsmithing would allow them to do what you say (although it's up in the air if they are in fact doing that), but it would not allow them to kick off a contestant who did not in fact have the lowest votes.

The initial point from me was about what Seacrest said this week was more about trying to show that Sanjaya was in fact legitimately voted off and that that AI was not picking and choosing itself who to vote off.

As for the little disclaimer at the end, with the way it is worded about "power voting." I would say two things. First, any legitimate reading of that by a court/jury would be that AI is going to have to prove outside fraud on the voting system was attempted in order to invoke the clause. Second, if AI lawyers think they have sufficiently protected their clients from purposely manipulating the results at their whim by inclusion of the short written clause at the very end of the show, they are bad lawyers. And by results, I mean the person voted off, not the top 3/bottom 3 thing you are suggesting.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 04-19-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #1406
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Because this show is a contest (in which contestants will receive monetary value), and in which voters are charged for voting, you would agree though that the FCC and general fraud laws would prevent Idol from actually manipulating the results? So, I would agree that proper wordsmithing would allow them to do what you say (although it's up in the air if they are in fact doing that), but it would not allow them to kick off a contestant who did not in fact have the lowest votes.

The initial point from me was about what Seacrest said this week was more about trying to show that Sanjaya was in fact legitimately voted off and that that AI was not picking and choosing itself who to vote off.

I think I made it abundantly clear that in no way am I suggesting that AI is picking who gets voted off, but rather playing with who is really in "the bottom 3" to throw a little excitement into the show. Blake was not going home last night whether or not he did, in fact, have one of the 3 lowest vote totals from Tuesday night. If he didn't, and it was, say, Phil or Chris R., maybe they thought that was just a bit too "by the book" and wanted to get people thinking that Blake might be in real danger. That kind of voter manipulation is no different than the way the producers focused on certain contestants during the auditions. But it wouldn't have any direct effect on the legitimacy of the voting results in any week.

Thankfully, Sanjaya got the fewest votes. Although if he didn't, I'm not going to complain about it, either.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1407
dfisher
High School JV

Last week, Ryan specifically said before he read the results that he would ask the three contestants that received the fewest amouont of votes to go to the center of the stage. I don't think you can state it much more clearly than that.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #1408
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

who cry more, sanjaya or little girl who love sanjaya
Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #1409
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I cry, for we won't see her anymore...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #1410
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I cry, for we won't see her anymore...

Aaaaargggghh!!! My eyes!!! Damn you, Toddzilla! DAMN YOU!!!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #1411
Ksyrup

BTW, I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but Fergie's performance this week was not live. It was taped, just like Akorn's. I wonder if they were concerned she would wet herself on stage.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #1412
MJ4H
Coordinator

You could play touch football on that forehead but I dont care.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #1413
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
BTW, I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but Fergie's performance this week was not live. It was taped, just like Akorn's. I wonder if they were concerned she would wet herself on stage.
Strangely, both of these thoughts crossed my mind. One, I wondered if it was taped. Two, I wondered if they thought she might wet herself.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #1414
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yes, when Sanjaya was voted off my wife was like "aw, no more jiggling boob shots for you". First Haley and now Sanjaya's sister - I have no reason to watch the show any more.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #1415
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yes, when Sanjaya was voted off my wife was like "aw, no more jiggling boob shots for you". First Haley and now Sanjaya's sister - I have no reason to watch the show any more.

LaKisha is still on.. you could get some general jiggling.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #1416
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Gold.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #1417
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

Those girls were blessed with the Fergie syndrome:

Big boobs, no talent and a busted face
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #1418
Ksyrup

Today's spoiler list is guaranteed to be correct - or at least moreso than last week - since the show was taped yesterday.

Spoiler

There's basically a recap of the entire show - judge's comments, everything - at mjsbigblog.com.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #1419
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Today's spoiler list is guaranteed to be correct - or at least moreso than last week - since the show was taped yesterday.

With that list, what could tonight's theme be?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #1420
Ksyrup

Inspirational songs, for the America Gives Back thing they're doing on Wednesday.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #1421
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I thought all Tuesday shows were live? I wonder if they advertise that tonight's show is taped?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #1422
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Inspirational songs, for the America Gives Back thing they're doing on Wednesday.

Ugh, Geez...who picks these themes? They should be fired.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #1423
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I thought all Tuesday shows were live? I wonder if they advertise that tonight's show is taped?

I assume it's solely because they're getting ready for the big "event" on Wednesday.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #1424
Logan
Head Coach

Is it wrong for me to wish for Chris to have a horrific accident so he can never move his neck again?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #1425
Easy Mac

I'm not trying to be too rude, but Blake reminded me of Chris Reeves in a wheelchair, he had just this straightforward stare and wouldn't move his head.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #1426
Easy Mac

wait, so do they have something special happening tomorrow night?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #1427
Thomkal
Head Coach

I would have thought someone would have cautioned Lakisha from doing another Idol's song after she ended up in the Bottom 3 last week. I think she'll be in the Bottom 3, probably with Chris and Blake.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #1428
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Is it wrong for me to wish for Chris to have a horrific accident so he can never move his neck again?

If we wish in tandem, will that double the chances?

Honestly, I wish Sanjaya was still in the competition and this kid gone. He's starting to approach Mikaylah annoyance status for me.

I thought Jordin was an incredible letdown tonight. Maybe they built her performance and the song up too much, but I thought the first half of the song she was pitchy, and then she tried to make up for it with a huge ending, and I didn't like that, either (she sang it fine, I just didn't like the way it went from 0 to 60 in a blink). And the song itself was terrible - that was probably why I didn't enjoy it at all.

Blake was meh, Melinda was great as usual, Phil was actually decent, and Lakisha was bad.

BOttom 3 - Lakisha, Phil, and Blake. If they want to mix it up a bit, Jordin.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #1429
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Now that Sanjaya and his versatile hair are gone, it's time to get back to business on American Idol. Perhaps that's what this week's theme, "Idol Gives Back," really means. You guys finally got rid of Sanjaya for us, now we'll give back something in return.

I suspect that I'd have to be living in a cave the last two months not to know what's really happening. The truth of the matter is we have Tivo, and whenever that banner goes up on the screen and we see Simon wandering around talking to children, that fast-forward button comes in mighty handy. So, apparently Idol convinced some companies to donate some money in return for exposure on the biggest television show in the country. Okay, that's pretty cool. And we got through an hour-long show in just under 25 minutes. Yeah, Tivo!

There was no celebrity coach this week, which was sad, because we found out what songs inspired the kids, and it would have been nice for them to have had some help singing along. I find myself wistfully thinking of Haley Scarnato, and how she could inspire me personally. By now, had she survived, she'd be singing a cappella in a bikini made from guitar picks and dental floss.

With that in mind, on to the ratings...

1. Melinda Doolittle. Who else? Score of 92.

2. Jordin Sparks. I was reminded a lot of Katharine McPhee belting out Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I liked it. Some really quality work, especially toward the end. Score of 88.

3. Phil Stacey. So, it wasn't a great night. He is improving, and this wasn't a whole lot worse than his season-best last week. He might be a one-trick pony with the country-like ballads, though. Score of 74.

4. Blake Lewis. It was dull, and a very poor choice of songs. What happened to the old Blake, the guy who hid his lack of power with contemporary styling and a host of gimmicks? If this guy thinks he can win by trying to outsing the singers, he's smoking Sanjaya's hair extensions. Score of 69.

5. LaKisha Jones. She's tired. She's rushing through songs, stepping all over the tone, especially early on. Local girl is nothing more than a powerful voice right now. I hope she can get her head back in the game in time, but it may be too late. Score of 67.

6. Chris Richardson. I refuse to be inspired by a goat. Score of 65.

Expected Bottom 3: Phil, LaKisha, Chris.
Who Should Go: Chris.
Who Will Go: Chris.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #1430
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
If we wish in tandem, will that double the chances?

I'm in. Repercussions be damned!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #1431
Ksyrup

The celebrity coach was Bono, but apparently they saved the footage for tomorrow night.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #1432
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, I was wondering where their amazing mentor was...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #1433
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Expected Bottom 3: Phil, LaKisha, Chris.
Who Should Go: Chris.
Who Will Go: Chris.

Spot on with my predictions.

Also, if I hadn't read it here I never would have known it was taped tonight. Only because of the comment here, I slowed down the DVR at the end to see the quick small message about it being a taped show.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #1434
Ksyrup

Yeah, I thought the beginning, with Seacrest in the control room, was intended to make us believe it was live. And you guys don't think they'd screw with the bottom 3 to suit their purposes!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #1435
Fouts
College Starter

My kids were watching some Nick or Disney show today and who was the guest? Sanjaya, of course.

Blake needs to reach into his bag of tricks and come up with something.. soon.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #1436
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought this was the worst Idol episode I have seen in years.

of the 6 songs I recognized 2 of them and hated them both. Blake was terrible. Lakisha is gone I think. The only one of the 6 I almost enjoyed was phil.

I understand where the show was going but every performance was really boring.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #1437
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I actually fast forwarded halfway through Melinda's song. I grant you her singing is good, and she is now trying a few different things. But she does absolutely nothing for me. She's just frickin' boring. I'm warming up to Phil, and think Jordin is pouring it on to maybe win this thing. Chris is terrible and has to go; with Lakisha following shortly thereafter.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 AM   #1438
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
4. Blake Lewis. It was dull, and a very poor choice of songs. What happened to the old Blake, the guy who hid his lack of power with contemporary styling and a host of gimmicks? If this guy thinks he can win by trying to outsing the singers, he's smoking Sanjaya's hair extensions. Score of 69.

Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes... I said it last week, we need the fun Blake back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #1439
JeeberD
General Manager

I really think that AI wants Jordin to win because she's the most marketable contestant left. I really like her, but her performance wasn't anywhere near as good as the judges made it sound...

I hope that Chris or Lakisha goes, and not Blake.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #1440
Ksyrup

Like I said above, I wasn't all that impressed with Jordin last night. And I like her, normally. That song sucked, the first half of the song was slow to develop and she was pitchy on the lower notes, and then everybody was quick to give her high marks because she blew out the ending. Big freaking deal.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #1441
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I said to my fiance's mom the other night that I might be done with Blake if he does another slow, passionate song this week. He gets a pass for singing one of the greatest love songs of all time, though. So, Blake, if you haven't shot yourself in the foot and gotten yourself voted off this week (my money is on Lakisha), listen to FOFC and give us the old Blake back!

I wanted to make a comment on Phil as well. Last week he told us how he is country and has always been country. So he comes out for the Idol Cares week and rips every shred of country out of a Garth Brooks song. Not that it was an incredibly country song to begin with, but he removed any bit of it that was there.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #1442
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I really think that AI wants Jordin to win because she's the most marketable contestant left. I really like her, but her performance wasn't anywhere near as good as the judges made it sound

I got this feeling as well last night.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #1443
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I really think that AI wants Jordin to win because she's the most marketable contestant left. I really like her, but her performance wasn't anywhere near as good as the judges made it sound...

I hope that Chris or Lakisha goes, and not Blake.

I with you regarding Jordan. Her voice is nice, but she misses notes, strains and its begging to sound like yoddle girl from a couple years ago. It's very clear that they want her to win. While Melinda has the best voice, her market is most likely the 30 and up R&B or Gospel crowd which will not sell nearly as wells a Jordan and the 10 to 25 year old Pop crowd. Just being real. And Lakisha, just plain-old stupid moves. Singing two hits songs from previous idol winners not nearly as good as them two weeks in a row was a disaster, even though she has a good voice.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #1444
Ksyrup

This promises to be the worst episode of AI since last year's finale. I'm going to work out tonight...maybe I'll make it a double session so I completely miss the entire show.

Carrie Underwood will perform “I’ll Stand By You” from Africa on tomorrow night’s special. A group of celebrities will sing “Stayin Alive” including Teri Hatcher, Gwyneth Paltrow and Hugh Grant.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #1445
Ksyrup

The guy from EW.com nails LaKisha perfectly:

"I'd call out LaKisha's hubris in tackling 'Tasia and Carrie Underwood two weeks running, but I don't think her song choices sprang so much from pride as they did from a total lack of musical imagination — and therein lies her problem. There's a difference between being a woman with a big voice and being an actual musical artist, and after 10 weeks of live performances, LaKisha Jones has not yet crossed into the latter category."
Old 04-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #1446
Ksyrup

The dialidol.com results are pretty surprising. There's also a thought out there that between the spirit of tonight's show and Ryan's comment about some sort of surprise end to the show, that no one is actually going to be voted off tonight. The thinking is that with the charity thing going on, it would dampen the mood to axe someone in the end.

If they did that, I guess they could either have a double elimination one week, or have 3 finalists.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #1447
Ksyrup

BTW, looking back at dialidol.com's ranking and results for the past several weeks, they've been pretty well spot-on. The only ones they missed were people who were bunched at the bottom, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the ones that were so close.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #1448
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
The dialidol.com results are pretty surprising. There's also a thought out there that between the spirit of tonight's show and Ryan's comment about some sort of surprise end to the show, that no one is actually going to be voted off tonight. The thinking is that with the charity thing going on, it would dampen the mood to axe someone in the end.

If they did that, I guess they could either have a double elimination one week, or have 3 finalists.

So you mean they may have made a ton of money through text message votes that don't count?

What will they think of next.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #1449
Ksyrup

No, I think what they would do is add them to next week's votes. I believe they've done that before.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #1450
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This concert is indulgent enough. If they rig the competition by not having an eviction, they risk seriously alienating their audience.

I've heard many people say The Amazing Race is the most entertaining reality show concept out there right now. But the way CBS produces it, with non-elimination rounds and constant equalizers, makes people feel that the results are essentially random.

If you take the competition out of the reality show, you are left with ordinary people in a semi-scripted environment. Essentially home movies made with better equipment.

I think Idol knows how delicate its perch is atop the ratings heap. The "Idol Gives Back" snoozefest is indulgent, but I think they know not to mess with the cash cow itself. I can't remember a prior non-elimination round, just the revote when they showed Mikalah Gordon's phone number incorrectly during her performance - which was probably on the advice of the lawyers. Maybe I'm wrong, as I did not see season one, and only a bit of season two.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote