Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #1401
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My cousin's wedding for April 4th just got cancelled
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #1402
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
What's the threshold of "high" there? As a fairly typical suburban family of four, assuming the market recovers in the 20ish years, this has been a minor financial windfall:
  • No longer paying $180/mo for drama/gymnastics classes
  • $260 soccer refund
  • Monthly gasoline bill dropping by ~$125/mo
  • $850 refund on school DC trip
  • $700 that had been set aside for trip, place to stay, dog boarding, etc. for a wedding weekend freed up
  • Additional harder-to-guess savings from being forced to eat at home more, but probably another $150-$250/mo. (Heck, even just ordering carry-out instead of eating in saves by not getting three drinks that cost 10 bucks total when you include the tip. )
I realize that the DC trip and wedding aren't "typical," but the others seem fairly standard for the middle/upper-middle class, but good luck raising taxes on that crowd.

Things can change fast. I think if people don't need it, they can save it at least for a rainy day.

This is sort of unprecedented territory for us. People who have comfortable jobs they feel are recession-proof might not in 6 months.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #1403
thesloppy
Pro Starter

In past crises senators & congressmen have revealed themselves to be woefully inept at understanding how the common American lives, and I imagine that will be an issue when they're trying to figure out these relief packages. For example payroll/social security tax relief wouldn't help laid off hourly service workers in the slightest.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #1404
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Here's the report that apparently got the White House to change its tune.

READ: The Alarming Report That Seems To Have Jump-Started Trump’s COVID Response | Talking Points Memo
Old 03-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #1405
PilotMan
Head Coach

EU closes external borders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/coro...e-borders.html

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #1406
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Distilleries using high-proof alcohol to make hand sanitizer
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #1407
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Things can change fast. I think if people don't need it, they can save it at least for a rainy day.

This is sort of unprecedented territory for us. People who have comfortable jobs they feel are recession-proof might not in 6 months.
That's fair, and yeah, if we get a check it'll just go to charity and our emergency fund.

But it seems weird to give us taxpayer money to do that.

EDIT: And we both know that Trump needs suburban voters. He's not going to raise their taxes. For most, it'll just end up being a handout to those who in all likelihood don't need one.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-17-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #1408
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not to make light of the outbreak in GA, but is there a better test as to whether you've lived or have family in the south than the proper pronunciation of Albany, GA?
Old 03-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #1409
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Not to make light of the outbreak in GA, but is there a better test as to whether you've lived or have family in the south than the proper pronunciation of Albany, GA?

Uh oh, have I been saying it wrong?

ALL-Beh-ni
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #1410
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's certainly better than nothing, and I'm glad to see them working on an alternative that isn't some cruel bastardization of trickle-down-economics, but on the other hand $1000 to every American seems like both a massive move that could have unprecedented effects on our economy for decades to come and a half-measure that will provide 80-90% of Americans with a boost to their saving while those 10-20% in need get 1-3 weeks of resources towards a nationwide lock-down that could last multiple months and the worst estimates even reach into years.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-17-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #1411
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Uh oh, have I been saying it wrong?

ALL-Beh-ni

If, as it reads, you're saying it like Albany, NY, that is, indeed, incorrect.

The accent is on the second syllable for Albany, GA.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #1412
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My oldest brother lives just outside of all - BIN - ee
Old 03-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #1413
bob
College Starter

I lived there for 20 years. I never heard a single person in that city pronounce it differently than the city in NY. Only people from outside the city.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #1414
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Fascinating. I have never heard it pronounced all-BIN-ee.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #1415
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We've been openly talking about how we as a Synod and a Church may have to cancel Holy Week services and just have the Sunday we are able to go back be "Easter".
Old 03-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #1416
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've never even heard of Albany, GA until right not, but I have also been pronouncing it as ALL-beh-knee for my entire life.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #1417
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I lived there for 20 years. I never heard a single person in that city pronounce it differently than the city in NY. Only people from outside the city.

Maybe generational? My father-in-law grew up in and around Nashville, GA and has always put the accent on the second syllable as has his siblings still in the Nashville area.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #1418
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That's fair, and yeah, if we get a check it'll just go to charity and our emergency fund.

But it seems weird to give us taxpayer money to do that.

EDIT: And we both know that Trump needs suburban voters. He's not going to raise their taxes. For most, it'll just end up being a handout to those who in all likelihood don't need one.

If you're a high income earner, consider it a tax rebate (or cut).

I worry about the deficit but in bad times, I think you need to spend. And with where rates are, the country is practically making money when they borrow. We just need to build a surplus when the economy is booming.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #1419
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I also wonder if at the end of this we'll see a shift in our military spending. It seems pandemics like this are much bigger threats than any major military conflict. Will a big chunk of that spending be pushed into preparing for future pandemics and setting up systems to create vaccines on the fly?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #1420
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NY up to 1700 cases. I expect much greater testing is what's driving this number up so rapidly.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #1421
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If, as it reads, you're saying it like Albany, NY, that is, indeed, incorrect.

The accent is on the second syllable for Albany, GA.

I went to college with people from there and that's the way they pronounced it or else I would have thought it was just like Albany, NY
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #1422
miked
College Starter

People around me always pronounced it Al-BAY-nee
Old 03-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #1423
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Phoenix and Tucson just shut down bars and made restaurants take out/drive thru only.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #1424
thesloppy
Pro Starter

1/3rd of the Brooklyn Nets have Coronavirus.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #1425
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
1/3rd of the Brooklyn Nets have Coronavirus.

Kevin Durant is one of them
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #1426
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If we’re talking about dumb ways to say stuff, Campbell,Ohio is a US top 5 dumbest.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #1427
miami_fan
Coordinator

Florida has scrapped testing and grades for K-12 and students will not be allowed back until at least April 15.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #1428
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

READ: The Alarming Report That Seems To Have Jump-Started Trump’s COVID Response | Talking Points Memo

No one knows at this point, but these numbers seem way over estimated.

It also says we will have to social distance until a vaccine is developed to have any real shot at reducing numbers. I just can't see that happening.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #1429
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well it does say if it goes unabated. I translated it to “Take this seriously or else” against what they see as the “let’s continue on as normal with no precautions “ crowd. I think they saw the president was a part of that crowd.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #1430
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dropkick Murphys annual St Paddys day show from Boston about to start. No fans. Free livestream on youtube, facebook, and their website.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #1431
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just a heads up for Georgia people. I have it from two different people (one a county official and one from GMA), Governor Kemp is likely to announce closing all non-essential business Friday.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #1432
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Kevin Durant is one of them

Sigh. The sports world had a lot of distractions the last day or two. There was a lot of NFL talk - the Texans doing stupid things, Tom Brady leaving the Pats, other big name QBs moving around the league - and then we had to have this dropped.

And I know this is going to pale in comparison to the days ahead when some of these people unexpectedly start dying (and, unfortunately, when it will happen to people we know personally).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-17-2020 at 06:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #1433
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And I know this is going to pale in comparison to the days ahead when some of these people unexpectedly start dying (and, unfortunately, when it will happen to people we know personally).

SI

I did a little math this morning, and if 70% of company pilots get the virus, and of that group, even if only 1% die, that's still almost 100 pilots at my company that will be stricken. Those are pretty sobering numbers in a small grouping. This will all hit close to home for us eventually unless we can get vaccine that's effective.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #1434
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
It also says we will have to social distance until a vaccine is developed to have any real shot at reducing numbers. I just can't see that happening.

I understand this perspective, but I think it will happen at least for months. When people start dying daily in the high hundreds or thousands here like they are in Italy, when we run out of proper ventilators and impossible triage decisions set in … and we're weeks away from that at best IMO … I think there will be an insistence on the public side to minimize it as much as possible for as long as necessary. Put it this way; I'll be surprised if I go back to the job I had last week anytime before late summer at the earliest, and probably longer. I know some people who are like 'nah, school's closed for two weeks but they won't extend it more than that, etc.' I see no indication at all that this is going to do anything but get worse for a while yet, more things are going to shut down not less in the weeks to come.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-17-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #1435
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am wishing & hoping Portland's relative isolation and high density of introverts & hermits will work to its advantage. On the East coast there are clusters of major cities there practically a half-hour away from eachother and California is like a 1000-mile smudge of cities up I-5, whereas Portland is 3-4 hours from the nearest major city in any direction.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #1436
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I am wishing & hoping Portland's relative isolation and high density of introverts & hermits will work to its advantage. On the East coast there are clusters of major cities there practically a half-hour away from eachother and California is like a 1000-mile smudge of cities up I-5, whereas Portland is 3-4 hours from the nearest major city in any direction.

I am on the Jersey shore. A town called Belmar. Tons of people here commute to NYC including my neighbor. No way we can stop the rapid spread.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #1437
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I understand this perspective, but I think it will happen at least for months. When people start dying daily in the high hundreds or thousands here like they are in Italy, when we run out of proper ventilators and impossible triage decisions set in … and we're weeks away from that at best IMO … I think there will be an insistence on the public side to minimize it as much as possible for as long as necessary. Put it this way; I'll be surprised if I go back to the job I had last week anytime before late summer at the earliest, and probably longer. I know some people who are like 'nah, school's closed for two weeks but they won't extend it more than that, etc.' I see no indication at all that this is going to do anything but get worse for a while yet, more things are going to shut down not less in the weeks to come.

No way schools will reopen to classrooms in 2 weeks. It'll be all remote through May unless there is good news on vaccine.

Worse is yet to come for sure now that testing is ramping up. MSM is saying next 15 days is critical but not sure I understand what's so special about these 15 days. Why not days 15-30 as the critical also?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #1438
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

So what happens when this finally hits India?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #1439
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
So what happens when this finally hits India?

Or Africa.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #1440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Or Africa.

Lots of speculation on how heat effects the virus so hopefully not bad.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #1441
Edward64
Head Coach

First Bay Area and now real possibility of New York.

Great time to film the next Purge movie.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/polit...ntv/index.html
Quote:
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio urged New Yorkers on Tuesday afternoon to prepare for the possibility that there could be a shelter in place order within the next two days, though Gov. Andrew Cuomo, whose approval would be required for such a move, downplayed the possibility.

"I think New Yorkers should be prepared right now for the possibility of a shelter in place order," de Blasio, a Democrat, said during a press briefing about coronavirus. "It has not happened yet but it is definitely a possibility at this point. I believe that decision should be made in the next 48 hours, and it's a very, a very difficult decision."

De Blasio acknowledged that such a step would be Cuomo's call but said, "I think it's gotten to the point where a decision has to be made very soon."
Old 03-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #1442
Kodos
Resident Alien

According to one FOFCer, it is running wild in the Philippines despite it being in the 90s there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Metro Manila is in community quarantine until April 14. All schools are closed until April 14.

Access in/out of the metro is very limited. All routes in/out of the metro are manned by military checkpoints with medical personel, every single private/public vehicle is being given temperature checks.

Outside of groceries, pharmacies, and food places, most malls have also announced that they will be closing shop for the duration of the quarantine.

Curfew has also been implemented from 8pm to 5am for all cities within Metro Manila.

Metro Manila is 13 million people... and enforcing a community quarantine is by no means simple.

If you can work from home, most companies let you (like mine)

We don't have a problem with toilet paper... because we wash our butts with bidets.

There was an initial panic with alcohol and food... but I think that's going to subside, as the government has said that they aim to minimize the impact of the quarantine on food transportation.

But yeah, if you guys think this shit is going to stop when Spring/Summer hits the Western Hemisphere.... the hot weather and climate isn't affecting this thing. We're at 90-100 F, 80% humidity for March... and we were at 3 cases ten days ago, now at 140 cases with 12 fatalities.

COVID-19 cases in the Philippines jump to 140, death toll at 12

502 Bad Gateway

502 Bad Gateway

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/16/...c-safety-hours

COVID-19 community quarantine comes into effect over Metro Manila | News | GMA News Online

Last edited by Kodos : 03-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #1443
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
First Bay Area and now real possibility of New York.

Great time to film the next Purge movie.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/polit...ntv/index.html

Cuomo won't do it just because De Blasio wants to.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #1444
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In that case Africa is pretty fucked
Old 03-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #1445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

One of my best friends is a professional firefighter and paramedic in Cincinnati. He said shit is about to get real there. Told me they have set up an area for when first responders initially get the virus. Chilling shit.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #1446
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Jake Tapper having a fit because people were outside exercising. He keeps going on and on about people rollerblading. Unless you are ploughing into people, you can't catch the virus just by being outside.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #1447
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I think it's more likely that people going into self-quarantine/testing positive from CPAC & Trump/Pence actually agreeing to be tested was their watershed moment. Those numbers aren't even the highest I've seen - many people were throwing around 3.4m (as a rough 1% of all Americans).

Quote:
It's certainly better than nothing, and I'm glad to see them working on an alternative that isn't some cruel bastardization of trickle-down-economics, but on the other hand $1000 to every American seems like both a massive move that could have unprecedented effects on our economy for decades to come and a half-measure that will provide 80-90% of Americans with a boost to their saving while those 10-20% in need get 1-3 weeks of resources towards a nationwide lock-down that could last multiple months and the worst estimates even reach into years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
No one knows at this point, but these numbers seem way over estimated.

Yeah, I don't think people grasp that "flattening the curve" also lengthens it (possibly because many of the graphs floating around on the internet don't extend the long tail), just how many people are living paycheck to paycheck or work in the service industry, and how disproportionately that population is younger & not at a high risk of mortality from this.

If you want to say we need an immediate lockdown to give hospitals more time to stock up on ventilators, masks, etc, and give governments time to make contingency plans if there is a huge spike that's one thing. (Though leaving the airports and many businesses that really aren't essential open makes it seem like half measures at best.) But this isn't going away in 2 weeks, it isn't going away in 6 weeks, and I don't think it's worth shutting down our society for 18 months until an effective vaccine can be developed & mass produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sigh. The sports world had a lot of distractions the last day or two. There was a lot of NFL talk - the Texans doing stupid things, Tom Brady leaving the Pats, other big name QBs moving around the league - and then we had to have this dropped.

If young, healthy & wealthy professional athletes start dying I will quickly change my tune, but nothing I have seen so far indicates they are basically any risk of dying (or some serious long term health problems from this).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #1448
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Lots of speculation on how heat effects the virus so hopefully not bad.

We need a heat wave, but the Memphis where I live projects to have an unseasonably cool April.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #1449
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
According to one FOFCer, it is running wild in the Philippines despite it being in the 90s there.

We are starting to see some evidence merging that humid weather does suppress it to some extent, or at least we can hope.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #1450
BishopMVP
Coordinator

One weird data point I don't understand - in many of the stories I've seen coming out of Asia they talk about having their temperature checked at every building they enter, or the subway, etc... I thought the biggest problem with this disease was that you can have & transmit it during a 14 day incubation period despite not showing any fever like symptoms? If so, why are so many Asian countries that have been through H1N1, MERS, etc using temperature checks as a tentpole of their quarantine efforts? Are you just more contagious during a period when you have it and a fever (like patient #31 in South Korea) so this is a way to weed out the worst potential spreaders?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote