Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #1401
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Color me surprised that the Leafs signed ANYBODY....None the less...it does help the blueline immensly.

I don't see how. I guess if you are looking for someone to take a cheap shot knee to knee hit to try and end a players career then Marchment is your guy. But if you want a guy to play tough defense or give you a little offense from the point I don't think he is what you want.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #1402
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I don't see how. I guess if you are looking for someone to take a cheap shot knee to knee hit to try and end a players career then Marchment is your guy.

Is'nt this how you play defence?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #1403
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
If you guys are trying to become the most hated team in the league, this is a great way to win the title.
According to everyone last year, we already are. Might as well go all the way.

Actually, I have mixed feelings on this one. The Leafs did need the blueline help, and Marchement could be a useful player for them.

On the other hand, I hate the guy. Not in the Darcy Tucker, "you hate him when he's on the other team but love to have him on yours" way. I really hate him. I think he's a complete dink who should have been kicked out of the league a long time ago. His hitlist is a sad commentary on him, not only as a player but as a person. One of the highlights of my hockey life was watching Wendel Clark practically kill Marchement at the old Chicago Stadium in the early 90s. If he was hit by a bus tomorrw, the world would be a better place.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #1404
bbor
Pro Starter

Devries is being chased by the Rangers now 4 years 14 mil is supposedly the offer

Leetch has a 2 year 12 mil deal on the table with the Rangers...but the Avs,Hawks,Leafs have jumped into the mix also.

Sweeney signed...1 year $550 000.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:07 AM   #1405
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Who are the Leafs currently feuding with? Is it still the Islanders? Or will it be Philly this year? Regardless, interesting games to watch, as Toronto adds another "rugged" player to its already rather rugged line-up.

Prospal has reportedly sign something around a $24 or $25 million over five year deal with a mystery team that likely starts with the letter "A", Anahiem or Atlanta. Whichever, that's a huge sum for Vinny "Vaclav" Prospal. $5 million a year? Yes, he had a great year last year, but $5 million? Now? Hopefully he'll live up to it, but I am doubting it. Well done Vinny and agent of Vinny.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:01 AM   #1406
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Who are the Leafs currently feuding with? Is it still the Islanders? Or will it be Philly this year? Regardless, interesting games to watch, as Toronto adds another "rugged" player to its already rather rugged line-up.

Prospal has reportedly sign something around a $24 or $25 million over five year deal with a mystery team that likely starts with the letter "A", Anahiem or Atlanta. Whichever, that's a huge sum for Vinny "Vaclav" Prospal. $5 million a year? Yes, he had a great year last year, but $5 million? Now? Hopefully he'll live up to it, but I am doubting it. Well done Vinny and agent of Vinny.

I am glad he signed with somebody else, because I could picture the Wings overreacting and signing him to an excessively large deal...just like this team did.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:33 AM   #1407
Karim
College Starter

Vaclav has averaged 19 goals and 63 points in his NHL career. His highest goal total is 22, which he has done twice, but he has also only managed 5 & 6 goals in a full-season. Last year was his breakout year in points, with 79, while playing on Tampa's number one line with St. Louis and Lecavalier.

I certainly do not think he is a $4 million player, let alone $5 million.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:07 AM   #1408
henry296
College Starter

You could trade for Martin Straka and play less money than Vinny Prospal.

Todd
Old 07-14-2003, 10:14 AM   #1409
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, considering that the source of the Prospal rumors is his agent, I'm not sure if it is even true. "We've signed a deal with a team, for $5 million, but we are still working out the details." That's just sounds weird to me.

Oh, and here is a quote from Rotoworld about Tkachuk. I love Rotoworld.

Quote:
In a bizarre story, Elander Mark Lachney has been arrested for masquerading as Keith Tkachuk.
The Louisiana man was arrested Tuesday in Pineville, La. on three counts of identity theft and one count of bank fraud. All three counts of identity theft involved establishing credit card accounts in Tkachuk's name. At the time of his arrest he also was carrying a driver's license in the name of Brian Leetch. There is however, no truth to the rumour that Lachney was impersonating Tkachuk in last season's playoffs.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #1410
bbor
Pro Starter

5 Mil for Prospal??

AHAHAHAHAH

If true...someone got soaked......BIGTIME!

Old 07-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #1411
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
5 Mil for Prospal??

AHAHAHAHAH

If true...someone got soaked......BIGTIME!

Ducks overreacting for the loss of Kariya most likely.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #1412
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Ducks overreacting for the loss of Kariya most likely.

Murray can't be that dumb...can he?

Old 07-14-2003, 01:38 PM   #1413
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Murray can't be that dumb...can he?

People do silly things when they panic.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #1414
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Rangers get DeVries...

Quote:
Rangers sign de Vries

TSN.ca Staff

7/14/2003

NEW YORK (CP) - The New York Rangers have signed defenceman Greg de Vries, one of the top catches on this year's unrestricted free-agent market.

Terms were not immediately available but it's believed he signed a four-year, $13.75-million US deal.

De Vries, 30, was a Group 5 unrestricted free agent - players who have 10 years of pro hockey under their belt and who earned less than the $1.79 million NHL average salary last season.

The native of Sundridge, Ont., had a career-best 32 points (6-26) and a plus-15 rating in 82 games with Colorado last season, his fifth with the Avalanche after starting his career with the Edmonton Oilers.

A little more than $3 million per year. Does anyone else see this as Alexi Gusarov Part II? Geez.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #1415
bbor
Pro Starter

I heard Brad Marsh and Harold Snepts are coming out of retirment

Last edited by bbor : 07-14-2003 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:27 PM   #1416
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If Prospal gets $5M x 5 years right before a CBA meltdown, it may possible be the worst contract in league history.

I'm talking Yashin-bad.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #1417
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I heard Brad Marsh and Harold Snepts are coming out of retirment

Are they signing with the Wings?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:46 AM   #1418
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Are they signing with the Wings?

There is nothing wrong with a little depth along the blue line... Nothing! Both Snepsts and Marsh have already donned the Winged Wheel. They know the system (granted it was Jacques Demers system, but still). These guys will come in, pick right back up where they left, provide steady veteran leadership, and the rugged brand of hockey they have been famous for over the last four decades.

Marsh will still have no helmet (in your FACE McTavish!) and Snepsts will be greeted with the famous "HAAAAAARRRROOLDD!" chant. It will be like 1987 all over again!

I bet they come alot cheaper than DeVries! Speaking of DeVries. The Rangers are brilliant in their consistency. Almost every year they will either: (1) over-spend horrendously on some free agent and (2) sign Colorado's 4th or 5th defensemen to a large contract (Lefebvre, Kasparitus, now DeVries). Don't they ever learn? No. That's what makes them the crazy cats that they are.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:33 AM   #1419
klayman
College Benchwarmer

All you need is Johnny Ogrodnick and everything will be good.

I agree with the overpriced DeVries stuff. 3 Million for a 4th defenseman?!? It's obvious that the owners have no fiscal responsibility at all. But hey, I'm sure Sather will at least make the playoffs this year now that he is spending 8 Million on Holik and DeVries.

Last edited by klayman : 07-15-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM   #1420
bbor
Pro Starter

Devries will be the #2 D-man in NY.

Johnny O...what a great name from the past........

You made my day with that name Klayman

Old 07-15-2003, 02:11 PM   #1421
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
what a great name from the past........
Sounds like somebody needs a round of Shady Players.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #1422
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Devries will be the #2 D-man in NY.

Yikes. How would you like to be a GM bragging that your number 2 defenseman was Greg DeVries?

Assuming of course, that they don't resign Leetch. I'd still put him behind Poti, and the Russians.

Quote:

Johnny O...what a great name from the past........

You made my day with that name Klayman

In other news:

Cleary signs a multi year deal with the Coyotes.

Last edited by klayman : 07-15-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:21 AM   #1423
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Anyone know if any player decided for arbitration? I've heard quite a few signed at the last minute or opted out, but not who decided to go down that path. What a joy that must be for all sides. Actually, I'd like to be an arbitrator. How do I get that gig? I could do it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-16-2003, 08:07 AM   #1424
henry296
College Starter

Dick Tarnstrom filed for aribitrion with the Penguins, although I wouldn't be surprised if they settled before the hearing.

Todd
Old 07-16-2003, 11:12 AM   #1425
bbor
Pro Starter

Hye HB...what's the deal with Beekoff(SP?)

Is he really going to Russia...or is it a ploy?

I think Markov is using Russia as a ploy to get more $$.Rutherford was on Toronto sports radio yesterday saying they gave him the best offer they could and he refused it.....so they pulled the offer and are now persuing another defencman,and once they sign him the money for Markov will be gone and he will have to sit the year out or play in Russia.

Sounds like ALOT of posturing.

As far as who has filed for arbitration...i don't think the list will be out till later today.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #1426
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think Bykov is done and gone. He got a really good deal from his former Russian club. Something along the lines of $500,000 or so a year, tax free. Not too shabby. The same club offered Datsyuk the same sort of deal. But the higher-ups in Detroit know what Datsyuk's value is and kept him. I think when the Wings re-signed Wooley they pretty much gave up on Bykov.

At the moment the Wings have a bit of a glut along the blueline with Lidstrom, Schneider, Hatcher, Chelios, Wooley, Fischer, Dandenault, and Wallin.

Interesting to see what Markov does. The tax free salary perk is a nice one.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #1427
bbor
Pro Starter

$500 000 Rubles is horrible

Was Bykov any good?...or did he not play much?

Interesting that Dandeneault only signed for 1 year.....i always liked that guy.

Does that blueline come with senior citizens discount?

Old 07-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #1428
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Interesting that Dandeneault only signed for 1 year.....i always liked that guy.

Dandenault only signed for one year so he could become unrestricted after that, but he would like to work out a longer deal with the Wings at that point.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:35 PM   #1429
bbor
Pro Starter

Too bad...i'd like to see him in a Leafs uniforn..

There is a LARGE number of players signing 1 year deals....

Can anyone say collusion?(besides baseball owners)

Old 07-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #1430
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Bykov was ok. He was steady, but unspectacular. Didn't have too much of an offensive upside, but had a decent first pass out of the zone. Not really all that physical. Definitely a serviceable fifth or sixth NHL defenseman. Nothing more really. He sort of wore down at the end of the last year too. I think if he would have re-signed at a more reasonable fee (have to adjust the salary for tax), the Wings would have kept him over Wooley.

The senior citizen discount is quite handy.

How much do the Leafs pay their animal trainer and his cage? I am sure he'll be getting plenty of overtime this year with Belak, Domi, Marchment, and Tucker around. Too bad Corson went insane or whatever. He still fits right in.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:05 PM   #1431
Karim
College Starter

Here's who signed before the arbitration deadline:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Agreed to terms with left wing Mike
LeClerc on a two-year contract and left wing Cam Severson on
a one-year deal.

Boston Bruins - Re-signed defenseman Jonathan Girard and left
wing Michal Grosek to one-year contracts.

Calgary Flames - Re-signed center Stephane Yelle.

Chicago Blackhawks - Signed left wing Alexander Kojevnikov and
defensemen Michal Barinka, Vladimir Gusev and Lasse Kuukonen.

Colorado Avalanche - Signed defenseman Tomas Slovak to a
multi-year contract; signed defenseman Karlis Skrastins and
left wing Bates Battaglia to one-year contracts.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Signed center Mark Hartigan and
defenseman Alexander Gusjkov.

Dallas Stars - Signed center Antti Miettinen to a two-year
contract; signed right wing Mattias Tjarnqvist to a one-year
contract.

Detroit Red Wings - Re-signed defenseman Mathieu Dandenault to
a one-year contact; signed defenseman Niklas Kronwall to a
two-year contract.

Florida Panthers - Signed defenseman Petr Kadlec to a one-year
contract.

Los Angeles Kings - Signed defenseman Denis Grebeshkov to a
three-year contract; agreed to terms with defenseman Martin
Strbak and forward Esa Pirnes.

Minnesota Wild - Signed left wing Christoph Brandner to a
multi-year contract.

Nashville Predators - Signed forward Denis Platonov.

New Jersey Devils - Signed defenseman Matt DeMarchi, left wings
Ahren Nittel and Thomas Pihlman and right wings Ilkka
Pikkarainen and Aleksander Suglobov.

Ottawa Senators - Re-signed goaltender Martin Prusek.

Philadelphia Flyers - Signed defenseman Joni Pitkanen to a
three-year contract.

Phoenix Coyotes - Signed left wing Daniel Cleary, who had been
with the Edmonton Oilers, to a multi-year contract.

San Jose Sharks - Re-signed center Alyn McCauley, goaltender
Mikka Kiprusoff and right wing Miroslav Zalesak.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Re-signed defenseman Brad Lukowich and
right wing Andre Roy to multi-year contracts; signed right wing
Evgeni Artukhin to a three-year contract; re-signed defenseman
Darren Rumble to a one-year contract.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Re-signed defenseman Ric Jackman.

Vancouver Canucks - Re-signed goaltender Dan Cloutier to a
one-year contract and defenseman Marek Malik to a two-year
contract.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:05 PM   #1432
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Come on! You got ex-Wing Anders Eriksson! What more do you want from us?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:19 PM   #1433
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Come on! You got ex-Wing Anders Eriksson! What more do you want from us?

You mean trhe $2 mil a year minor leaguer??

He is a real treat...notone of Quinns brightermoments.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #1434
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Anders "I am too full of chocolates" Eriksson. What a waste.

I could never understand that signing. $2 million for him? For a guy who was shipped around and around because he pretty much sucked. I can see taking a flyer on a guy like that (as he had some potential) for the league minimum, but $2 million???

THe nickname comes from the hockey episode of The Simpsons where Homer is chasing Uder around the locker-room whipping him with a towel and cackling with glee (after pointing out "Hey! That kid has bosoms!") while Uder yells out "Stop! Stop! I am too full of chocolates!" Anders was a pudgy fellow for an NHLer. At least around the face.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:15 PM   #1435
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There is a LARGE number of players signing 1 year deals....

Can anyone say collusion?(besides baseball owners)

There's no collusion going on. It's just bad business to sign anyone for more than one year. Think about it: why sign someone for more than one year when the whole economic landscape is about to change? Especially if you're a small market team- you don't know how much help you're going to get so why bother making plans until you know what's going to happen.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:18 PM   #1436
henry296
College Starter

Also, many of them are signing deals for less than the league average much makes them un-restricted free agents in the current labor deal. Also, I think many of the players believe that the age to become un-restricted will be lower in the new CBA as trade off for a salary cap/luxury tax system. A 1 year deal might make them un-restricted next year and then they get their bigger pay day.

Todd
Old 07-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #1437
bbor
Pro Starter

Bad buisness is what the NHL usually practises

Old 07-16-2003, 03:59 PM   #1438
Karim
College Starter

I just got off the phone with the Flames and bought a 7-game pack for $785.62. I know that pales in comparison to other markets but it's still a bit of money - can't afford season tickets. The seats are in the second deck in the corners which is pretty good. The organization offers a lot of flexibility ... game packs, various payment options so they're definitely trying to market the team.

They just announced signing Yelle and Reinprecht so I figured I'd help them out.

Can't wait for training camp...

[Edited for grammar so I don't get shot by QuikSand (not that he reads this thread or anything)...]

Last edited by Karim : 07-16-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #1439
Karim
College Starter

The Flames have just dealt Boughner to Carolina for an undisclosed draft pick next year and future considerations. I guess the market for 2004 UFAs is virtually nil with the CBA on the horizon. It could be an interesting trade deadline next year...

I don't know what the hell Sutter's going to do for forwards...
Old 07-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #1440
bbor
Pro Starter

Dammit....Boogie for a 4th rounder is a steal.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:46 AM   #1441
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've always been a been fan of Bob Boughner. Big fan. I was sad to see that he was originally drafted by the Wings, but never played. A shame. I like his style, his heart, and he seems to have good leadership. A nice pick up for Carolina. They got Wesley back and if they can get Markov signed they have a very nice, steady blueline.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:41 AM   #1442
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, the truth about Vinny "Vaclav" Prospal's mysterious signing has finally come out. Anaheim for fives years for a total of $17.5. That's $3.5 million a year (I sued a calculator). While more reasonable than the $4-$5 million number initially reported, it still seems like quit a bit. I guess his numbers last year justify it to some extent, but it will be interesting to see how he produces in Anaheim. I think it's a bit over-priced, but not ridiculously so.

Apparently this shuts the door on Fedorov's chances to go to Anaheim. And leaves Sergei with only a handful of options. The Blues (assuming they can dump one of their mega-contracts), the Rangers (they always have money), and, I guess, Colorado (please no. Anything but that. I would seriously have to change my dog's name and he's 10 years old. He'd be really confused. It'd be a mess). Hopefully he'll just realize he's been a dolt and come back to Detroit.

If he does come back to Detroit I am not exactly sure what will happen with CuJo. I imagine the Wings would still try to trade him, but I don't know how they would take on another huge salary if they did.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:57 AM   #1443
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I see that Montreal and Edmonton are going to play a game outdoors in November, that should be fun! Michigan and Michigan State did the same thing last year and it worked out well.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 AM   #1444
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Worked out extremely well. Largest crowd ever to watch a hockey game. Place was packed. The Wings have discussed trying such a thing in Comerica Park. I don't think they'll do it. Costs quite a bit to pull off and it's always risky with the weather.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #1445
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Wings need Fedorov back.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 AM   #1446
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yes.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #1447
bbor
Pro Starter

Feds will be back in Motown HB...fret not...no one else has the emans to pay him.

Prospal for 5 years?...that's about 4 years longer than his contract should be.He had a career year in a contract season....does this disturb anyone?

CR you should be chiming in here.I'm sure you have LOTS to say about this signing.

Old 07-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #1448
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Do they NEED him back? I think they still would have an excellent shot at the Cup without him, but he definitely would help in that regards. However, lets not forget that the Wings still are going to get somebody for Cujo, who can help pick up the slack from Fedorov leaving.

That being said, I do think he will be back for the Wings, possibly signing in the next couple weeks.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:43 PM   #1449
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Do they NEED him back?

Yes. I don't see much offense without him.

Quote:

However, lets not forget that the Wings still are going to get somebody for Cujo, who can help pick up the slack from Fedorov leaving.

I'm not sure what Wings fans are expecting, but who the Wings get in return will have a lot to do with how much they pick up in his salary. I keep hearing Doug Weight, but he is no Fedorov. Besides, who needs an overpaid, overrated goalie so bad that they would trade a center comparable to Fedorov for him? Well, Besides Colorado?

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-17-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:12 PM   #1450
Karim
College Starter

I'm wondering if Anaheim is banking on a good year from Chistov with more playing time just like we're counting on Saprykin and rookie Kobasew to produce in the top six.

Prospal has had two good years followed by two bad ones. He just came off of two good seasons with Tampa.

Would Red Wings fans take Lindros for Joseph?