Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #1401
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm sure they could write Merle in a way that would make it cool to keep him around for awhile, but at this point my hope/preference is that they keep him insane for the rest of season 3 and send him out in a glorious bloody finale.

Yeah... I don't see any way that he makes it to next season. I'd expect him to go out heroically (probably saving his brother or Carl or something).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #1402
Swaggs
Coordinator

BTW, the Shane thing was kind of weird.

Almost like the poor actor needed some money or something.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #1403
Radii
Head Coach

For those that watched both, the new cast member introduced tonight is played by the guy that played Cutty on The Wire. Sounds like those that have read the comics are looking forward to his character, I don't know anything about that but I really like that actor, I can't wait to see where it goes with him.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #1404
Butter
Coordinator

Thought it was a nice way to end the half-season. I had also forgotten about Merle telling the Gov that Michonne was dead.... so that explained a lot of the Gov's anger in that final scene. Thanks for that callback, Swaggs!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #1405
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

What a solid eight episodes. Just fantastic.

The Govenor is fantastic. The guy playing him is amazing. He pulls it off so well. He's cold, totally insane, but also incredibly personable and charasmatic when he needs to be. As the viewer you see the entire picture, which makes his scenes all the more creepy/impactful, but you could see how people who be duped by him. Easily one of the best TV villians we've had for a while.

I don't really think they are making Merle out to be a good guy at all. Just last episode he was torturing and beating the shit out of Glenn and let loose a walker on him while Glenn was tied to a chair. He was also about to take Glenn and Maggie out and kill them. Lets not forgot he killed one of his own men simply because he didn't want to go after Michonne anymore. Merle is not a sympathetic character. He's been put in this position because he lied to the Govenor about Michonne. Given Darryl was with her, the Govenor's assumption that Merle was working with them is not that big a leap. It will be interesting to see how Merle and Darryl get out of this one.

I liked Rick seeing Shane. Just a few days ago he was so crazy that he was hearing voices and a telephone ring. He's still cracked and a man on the edge and I'm glad that they are still playing that up. I think the actor playing Shane is staring on some new Franka Darabount show - a LA Confidential type thing - so it's not like he needed the work.

The Carol/Axel exchange was the funniest little scene in the 2.5 years of this show.

I would be hard pressed to think of a character who has made a bigger turn around in a half a season than young Carl. He's gone from an annoying little scamp who didn't little more than wander off and get into trouble, into a pretty interesting, compelling kid. His rescue of Tyrese's group was great.

Love the actor playing Tyrese. Seems like we'll be getting the first decent black character on the show since the guy and his son in the first episode. I loved T-Dogg and miss him, but he was not a very well recognized character. Sad to see poor Oscar go, but it was inevitable the moment he agreed to come along.

I am still not sold on Michonne either. I didn't quite understand why she had such a personal vendetta agaisnt the Govenor. I guess she knew he was a bad person and he did send out a group of men to hunt her down and kill her, so maybe that was it. Maybe she felt like she would still be hunted down unless she killed him or something. That fight was brutal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #1406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am still not sold on Michonne either. I didn't quite understand why she had such a personal vendetta agaisnt the Govenor. I guess she knew he was a bad person and he did send out a group of men to hunt her down and kill her, so maybe that was it. Maybe she felt like she would still be hunted down unless she killed him or something. That fight was brutal.

This was perhaps one of the most annoying leaps in the history of the show for me. I haven't read the source material but I'm reasonably familiar with what it contains. Her hatred of him makes sense given all the events there, but given the changes in the TV show storyline it felt a long way off the mark last night. The motivation for her behavior simply didn't seem to be there on TV, and her tactical blunder in handling the confrontation annoyed the shit outta me as well (should have shoved the walker at him & then taken him out in the next moment).
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #1407
SteveMax58
College Starter

Awesome 1st half of the season.

I was a little surprised at the Governor turning on Merle as I watched it but reading thru this has kind of reminded me of the little things that have added up in the Governor's mind to give him doubt as to Merle's loyalty/honesty. Though trying to kill Glenn with a walker does taint that line of thought in my mind.

Speaking of Glenn...I thoroughly enjoyed his scenes. My wife & I were both loving how he went from scared/timid Glenn to Rambo-Glenn fighting for survival, tearing apart a walker for weapons, etc. Awesome development of him as he really needed those scenes to make you believe that he is a highly capable guy in this world.

Also agree that the level of hate that Michonne has for the governor has been a little unfounded in the show.

I mean, from Michonne's knowledge (or what we have seen of her knowledge), Rick & his group are more or less doing the same thing the governor's group is doing. They are a group of people who don't trust other people & are fortifying their environment. Michonne's distrust of the governor is fine...but why it led her to essentially work towards his demise is not logical to me. I think they should have had some sort of rift (such as forcing Michonne into those "zombie games" to get her katana back or something).

I guess the issue for Michonne for me comes down to...why would she align with Rick's group more than the Governor's group...if she were to align with ANY group? I'd think it more likely (based on her TV show character development) that she would go back to being a loner as soon as she can.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #1408
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I forgot about the Merle/Michonne thing until Merle came in after The Governor was attacked. That look that Gov gave Merle was awesome.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #1409
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Wow, this half-season was good. The last two episodes in particular were intense.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #1410
Swaggs
Coordinator

Don't forget that Michonne found that cage with all the walkers (and put them all down) before she left and she found the blood on the tank.

I realize she hasn't been a great character, but I don't think she's been that bad. Her character is kind of brooding and mysterious, with the implication that she's been through some nasty stuff/abuse.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #1411
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The fresh blood on the human vehicles that Michonne found was pretty telling as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #1412
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The fresh blood on the human vehicles that Michonne found was pretty telling as well.

I never understood that personally. How does that mean anything?

I mean, I understand not buying into this governor guy from pure instinct...but how is human blood and/or bullets lodged in the vehicles inconsistent with "they got attacked by walkers & were likely shooting at them"? Plenty of bullets are going to miss and, if the soldiers were killed by walkers, plenty of blood would be in lots of places.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #1413
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Don't forget that Michonne found that cage with all the walkers (and put them all down) before she left and she found the blood on the tank.
I asked myself during this scene...why would a hardened warrior like Michonne have any bones (pardon the bad joke) about this? Why would she have any opinion either way? I mean, she brought her own "friends" along without arms or jaws for the longest time.

Or is it because they are caged? Then shouldnt she have been more offended at Rick & co. caging her in the prison (even after taking her weapon) as opposed to Woodbury where she was "free" to walk around (albeit without her weapon)?

Quote:
I realize she hasn't been a great character, but I don't think she's been that bad. Her character is kind of brooding and mysterious, with the implication that she's been through some nasty stuff/abuse.

Dont get me wrong, I like her. I just don't find her scenes that have been (presumably) building up her dislike/hatred for Woodbury to be all that logical. I still enjoy it & just follow along & suspend my disbelief by saying "well, they want me to think she hates the governor & Woodbury" so I comply. shurg
Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #1414
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I never understood that personally. How does that mean anything?

I mean, I understand not buying into this governor guy from pure instinct...but how is human blood and/or bullets lodged in the vehicles inconsistent with "they got attacked by walkers & were likely shooting at them"? Plenty of bullets are going to miss and, if the soldiers were killed by walkers, plenty of blood would be in lots of places.

It didn't support the narrative that the Governor had given. That they had been overtaken by walkers and that the people of Woodbury were too late to rescue them.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #1415
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to add that Carl has really shocked me on his progression this year. I was hoping he was zombie fodder all through the early parts of the show, but now he's probably the best thing on the show. Very interesting turnaround.

Last edited by stevew : 12-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #1416
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Regarding Tyreese's group and the wounded girl - I realize it's probably too late since she was bitten some time ago, but do you think someone from Carl's group should point out that if you amputate her arm, she might not turn? Perhaps the ex-veterinarian lurking around in the background on one leg? It's probably worth a shot before you bludgeon her to death with a hammer.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1417
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it needed to be chopped immediately. She was a goner by the time they reached the prison.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #1418
DanGarion
Coordinator

Midseason Finale was excellent, loved every minute. Although they might want to talk with Rick about this.

Last edited by DanGarion : 12-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #1419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think it needed to be chopped immediately. She was a goner by the time they reached the prison.

Yeah, I think it has to be done pretty quickly. It was a bad spot, right up there near the shoulder. She was a goner pretty much the moment she got bit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #1420
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think in regard to the hole in the fence at the prison, Rick only secured the area where his people would be. He didn't go over to the other side of the prison. I visit another board where people nit-pick the show to death, and no one has mentioned that.

Tyrese's group would have been able to open doors and gates and such that walkers wouldn't have been able to.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #1421
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Regarding Tyreese's group and the wounded girl - I realize it's probably too late since she was bitten some time ago, but do you think someone from Carl's group should point out that if you amputate her arm, she might not turn? Perhaps the ex-veterinarian lurking around in the background on one leg? It's probably worth a shot before you bludgeon her to death with a hammer.

It looked like she was dead by the time Carl got them to the room he locked them in. Not worth risking one of their people in that situation.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #1422
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That was the part of the fence that Axel was complaining about being down in an earlier episode.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #1423
sabotai
General Manager

Not to mention, that scene ("his third time around") was when they had taken the small fenced in area just outside the prison, before they had even decided to take the prison.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #1424
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I think it has to be done pretty quickly. It was a bad spot, right up there near the shoulder. She was a goner pretty much the moment she got bit.
I agree with both of you that's it's not likely to work, but considering you're in a situation with ample cells, possibly a pair of handcuffs, as far as you know some time on your hands, and no definitive knowledge that it won't, I think it'd be worth a mention and a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It looked like she was dead by the time Carl got them to the room he locked them in. Not worth risking one of their people in that situation.
If she was dead then, I take it back - get that hammer Cutty. I don't see why it risks people though if she's still alive now - do it, staunch the bleeding, then lock her in a cell or handcuff her like they did Herschel.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #1425
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Argument over The Walking Dead spurs man to shoot his girlfriend in the back

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 12-06-2012 at 10:01 AM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #1426
spleen1015
Coordinator

Just finished season 2. I thought things were dragging some what at the beginning of the season, but picked up the last few episodes. Some good shit happened in the last 2-3 episodes.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #1427
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

At the behest of someone here, I just watched all of Season 2, and all 8 episodes of season 3.

Awesome.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #1428
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
At the behest of someone here, I just watched all of Season 2, and all 8 episodes of season 3.

Awesome.

About time!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #1429
cadmus2166
Mascot

Best show on TV, in my opinion. February 10th is seeming very far away right now, unfortunately.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #1430
xjayex
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
Best show on TV, in my opinion. February 10th is seeming very far away right now, unfortunately.

At least we will have Franchise Hockey Manager to hold us over.
xjayex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #1431
Dutch
"Dutch"

Sweet, I'm totally into this show and just discovered "mid-season finale's" and shit like that. However, Feb 10th isn't such a long wait. Can't wait to get started again.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #1432
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

All my students keep telling me it is the best show as well. I'll have to take the DVD plunge soon to start it up. I've got to add this to the other shows that I haven't watched yet: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Weeds, and now Walking Dead.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #1433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd go

Breaking Bad
Walking Dead

SOA
Weeds
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1434
Radii
Head Coach

you forgot Louie! Breaking Bad and Louie are, to me, leaps and bounds above anything else on TV right now. After that I'd put Mad Men, Justified, Parks and Rec and Community (pending what the show will become without Dan Harmon) in a 2nd tier. Walking Dead's 3rd season could end up moving it up into that second tier maybe for me, but its not quite there yet. Homeland and Game of Thrones are the two most notable shows that I haven't seen yet. Maybe Sons of Anarchy too, I'm seeing a lot more chatter about it lately.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #1435
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think the pilot episode was the best first episode of a series I have seen.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #1436
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the recs, particularly in the order. I did just have season 1 of Breaking Bad delivered (got a good deal on it) as well as 1-3 of Mad Men (forgot to add those). But Walking Dead is high on my list too.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #1437
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All of these shows are on Netflix basically if you have that.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #1438
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
I'd go

Breaking Bad
Walking Dead

SOA
Weeds

I have been told by many people that Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on TV, but I don't understand why I should care about a show that focuses on a guy who has cancer and decides to produce and sell meth to take care of his family. Enlighten me, please, because I can't currently get past my rigid anti-drug principles to make myself watch it.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #1439
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I have been told by many people that Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on TV, but I don't understand why I should care about a show that focuses on a guy who has cancer and decides to produce and sell meth to take care of his family. Enlighten me, please, because I can't currently get past my rigid anti-drug principles to make myself watch it.

Now show is for everyone. If you have ridig anti-drug principles such to the extent that you wouldn't care at all, then this one probably isn't for you.

The show is pretty fantastic. Great writing, characters, drama, incredibly tense. Despite the fact that I find the main character pretty deplorable - as you're meant to - I always want him to get away (mainly because I feel bad for other characters).
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1440
Butter
Coordinator

It's not like the show is pro-meth. They are a means to an end, and are appropriately demonized.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1441
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I'm the only one who does the "What Ifs" on becoming a drug kingpin? I never actually would, but I get bored a lot. I've always found BB to be entertaining drama fantasy. And funny as hell at times.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #1442
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Now show is for everyone. If you have ridig anti-drug principles such to the extent that you wouldn't care at all, then this one probably isn't for you.

The show is pretty fantastic. Great writing, characters, drama, incredibly tense. Despite the fact that I find the main character pretty deplorable - as you're meant to - I always want him to get away (mainly because I feel bad for other characters).

If the characters are believable and well written, then I suppose I should at least set aside my biases and give it a chance. Believable character development is rare in tv shows.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #1443
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
It's not like the show is pro-meth. They are a means to an end, and are appropriately demonized.

That is good to know. I've personally witnessed to many lives ruined by drugs, and if they aren't glorified, then I'm more likely to be able to watch and enjoy the show.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1444
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
That is good to know. I've personally witnessed to many lives ruined by drugs, and if they aren't glorified, then I'm more likely to be able to watch and enjoy the show.

Drugs are not glorified at all in the show.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #1445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the characters are believable and well written, then I suppose I should at least set aside my biases and give it a chance. Believable character development is rare in tv shows.

FWIW, I'm probably as hardline an anti-drug guy as you're going to run across (capital offense for 2nd conviction has long been my preference). I'm also an occasional viewer of BB and can't say that I've ever felt like the show noticeably ran afoul of my feelings on the subject.

It's not "pro-drug" that I ever sensed, it deals with them in a fairly matter of fact way, it's the widget that they happen to manufacture & the inherent risk of the industry is essential to the drama of the show. And there's not any hesitation to show the extremely negative outcomes associated with that risky business.

Like I said, take that FWIW.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #1446
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
(capital offense for 2nd conviction has long been my preference).

So does that go for any drug, such as pot? Is this your way of cleansing all hippies from the face of the earth?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #1447
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

HB misspelled "rigid" as "ridig."

teehee

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #1448
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, I'm probably as hardline an anti-drug guy as you're going to run across (capital offense for 2nd conviction has long been my preference). I'm also an occasional viewer of BB and can't say that I've ever felt like the show noticeably ran afoul of my feelings on the subject.

I like capitol offences myself.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #1449
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Clearly not the thread, but I'm not going to go as far as capital punishment. Permanent exile is more where I'd stand.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #1450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
So does that go for any drug, such as pot? Is this your way of cleansing all hippies from the face of the earth?

Absolutely, always has. (This is not a new statement from me by any means, which is why I referenced it so casually here, it's come up on the board more than once previously)