Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #14351
ColtCrazy
College Starter

On a lighter note, came back from my history conference in St. Augustine (great city center). Took a side trip to Jacksonville to take the wife shopping and I was impressed with the city.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #14352
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
So the news ran a story about how the city just 5 miles north of ours is now an HIV infested hell hole of drugs and prostitution. Couple that with my state governor's idiotic ideas, and my wife has decided this is all the last straw and wants to move. Currently polishing up my CV to apply for a position at the school in England where I used to work in the summers.

I understand wanting to move because of that, but all the way to England? That's your best option is leaving the country altogether?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #14353
molson
General Manager

Maybe that shithole needs a quality educator more than England does?

I think like that when people talk about how Ferguson would never have any quality police applicants ever again. But I think plenty of people who are motivated by public service would love such a challenge. I've always thought that if you really hate bad police officers or prosecutors, the best thing to do to improve the situation is to become a good police officer or prosecutor. Depending on our motives, etc, we should consider running towards, not fleeing away from, difficult situations.

Obviously its more complex than that, especially if you have other considerations like kids and stuff. Just a random thought. For the random thought thread.

Last edited by molson : 03-25-2015 at 03:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #14354
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I think I get more joy in life from putting my boss in his place than from like 95% off everything else I do in life. Maybe if I didn't constantly get thrown under buses, I wouldn't take such joy out of it.

I don't blame you, a lot of bosses are asswhites. It's a good thing you put him in his place, most wouldn't dare.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #14355
Easy Mac

Salt n Pepa performed Push It on American Idol tonight. That song came out over 27 years ago. 27 years before the song came out, the Beatles just started performing together.

Time is old

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-25-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #14356
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Salt n Pepa performed Push It on American Idol tonight. That song came out over 27 years ago. 27 years before the song came out, the Beatles just started performing together.

Time is old

We're also now 30 years from Back to the Future, in which Michael J. Fox traveled 30 years back in time to 1955.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #14357
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Philadelphia Sixers have a lot of Biblical/Christian-ish names on their roster

Jakarr Sampson, Ishmael Smith, Jerami (derived from Jeremiah) Grant, Nerlens Noel, Isaiah Canaan, and stretching it a bit too far Joel (derived from Hebrew Yo'el - Yahweh is God) Embiid.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #14358
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They're still a godless abomination.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 AM   #14359
korme
Go Reds

This quote from 68-year-old Tom Coughlin using his GPS has me rolling:

Quote:
"Two weeks ago I'm trying to get to a roller hockey game that my grandson is playing in, so Marc Ross [the Giants' director of college scouting] had showed me how to talk to this phone," Coughlin said. "I don't trust the lady in GPS, I don't trust her, because they don't send you the right way. I hit the button and I go 'Park Ridge, New Jersey.' And she comes back on, she's giving me directions. So now I figure out where I am. I hit the thing and I said 'Thank you very much, I know exactly where I am now.' And she comes back and says, 'You don't have to thank me.' I swear to God that's what she said. And then I couldn't get her to shut up. Every turn. 'Take a right here.' I know where I am. I know where I am. I'm a block away from my house and she's telling me where to go. I said 'I know where I'm going.'"
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #14360
MikeVic
Head Coach

The result of that recent plane crash just ruined my day. People suck.
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' - BBC News
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #14361
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I understand wanting to move because of that, but all the way to England? That's your best option is leaving the country altogether?

Honestly, not sure. The big bonus to it is they have two position which my wife and I are suited. That'll be a consideration regardless. It helps I have a connection there, but I still think it's a bit of a long shot so I'm not convinced it'll work out.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #14362
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Honestly, not sure. The big bonus to it is they have two position which my wife and I are suited. That'll be a consideration regardless. It helps I have a connection there, but I still think it's a bit of a long shot so I'm not convinced it'll work out.

Hey, if it works for you guys and you're not opposed to leaving the US, then go for it. I would be surprised if there isn't someplace you could both find good jobs and that is nice in the US, but if you liked it there and it's a good opportunity and community, then good luck.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #14363
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

City mourns first active-duty firefighter death in 12 years

Cincinnati is mourning today over the first loss of a firefighter in the line of duty in 12 years. One of my best friends out here is a Cinci firefighter. Knew the guy, worked with him sometimes, said he was a good guy. I can tell my buddy is a bit shaken, taking him out tonight for a few beers and the games. I can't imagine the reminder it is for him that it can all end in a hurry. He has two young kids at home, yet he puts his life on the line every day for complete strangers, he is a true hero.

We lost a true hero today.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #14364
bob
College Starter

I was expecting some conversation of the Germanwings crash or the Bergdahl desertion charges on here...
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #14365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Are Under Armour shoes any good?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #14366
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not according to one former SC qb who was punished for blaming UA for their rash of foot injuries.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #14367
Grover
Pro Starter

My local credit union can suck it. I love that buying a house 3 months ago and getting a new (better paying) job last year means they won't give me a small personal loan.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 AM   #14368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Either espn.com is playing a helluva an unfunny April Fool's joke OR they turned their website re-design over to a group of 10 year olds & told them to try to guess what drunken 20 year olds would like to see for site layout & design.

What an inglorious clusterf.

CBSsportsline as the replacement I guess? Or does someone have a better suggestion for a simple site with headlines by category & a nice workable score ticker?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #14369
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

looks for real

ESPN.com redesign: It's a whole new website
Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #14370
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It can only be an improvement..

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #14371
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh man. That redesign is horrible
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #14372
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
It can only be an improvement..

I HATED the old site and never went to it. This looks much cleaner at least. Seems like they could have done some things to fit more stories on the left side but overall I like the look.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #14373
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Same. Every once in awhile I'd try, but no, I couldn't do it. It was really really bad. This new one seems a lot better.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-01-2015 at 07:34 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #14374
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

add me to the list of people who never ever went to the old site because of the design (and also because ESPN sucks). I still won't go there (because ESPN sucks), but I do think the design has improved tremendously (but ESPN sucks)

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 04-01-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #14375
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah I don't plan on going there either. I actually don't end up visiting many sites home page because I tend to go to articles directly through links (mostly Twitter) and then click around from there if necessary.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #14376
Buccaneer
Head Coach

For many years now, I have refused to go to espn.com, it was an unreadable mess - much like their over-hyped, over-produced philosophy on everything. I do agree that this is cleaner but I will stick with cbssports.com as I have for years.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #14377
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This is probably the best april fool's page I've seen so far today.

Urban Meyer: Browns 'fantastic' at pre-draft scouting - NFL.com
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #14378
Barkeep49
Coordinator

A forum that I check in on is autocorrecting the to teh for April's Fools Day. I can't stand it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #14379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know that I've ever considered ENORMOUS chunks of whitespace as "cleaner" web design.

Virtually the entire right third of the page is empty, at least when I view the page. The center is not a lot better either. It's mostly a string of stories (with stupidass embedded video that I'll watch maybe 1 time out of a million) down the left frame.

And the whole "neverending page" design thing is a particular hate point of mine anyway.

I'm sure I've seen a design I hate more, I just can't remember when.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #14380
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
https://com.google
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #14381
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm going to argue in front of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for the first time this spring -

Here's some essential advice. If it is good enough for the Supreme Court, it is good enough for you:

An important message from the Supreme Court - The Washington Post
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #14382
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Here's some essential advice. If it is good enough for the Supreme Court, it is good enough for you:

An important message from the Supreme Court - The Washington Post

HA - I'm definitely more worried about breaking some courtroom rule or policy than I am about the actual argument. Things are very casual at my state appellate court that I've argued at many times. I'm expecting a much more uptight scene at the 9th Circuit.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #14383
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Seriously, how is it that smoke detectors ONLY low batter chirp in the middle of the fucking night?

4:30am, I'm wandering the house trying to track down the culprit.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #14384
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ping Lathum lol.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #14385
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fraud costs the U.S. insurance industry an estimated 80 billion a year.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #14386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Seriously, how is it that smoke detectors ONLY low batter chirp in the middle of the fucking night?

4:30am, I'm wandering the house trying to track down the culprit.

Seriously.

I think I have all of one smoke detector left working because of this. The chirping sounds also freaks my dog out like nothing else and lots of things freak him out. But when he hears that chirp he is a shivering mess for a good half hour.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #14387
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Get the hardwired option or the one with a 10 year battery ffs
Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #14388
PilotMan
Head Coach

Lol, I've got them hardwired too, but when the backup batteries quit they still start chirping and he's right, it's always in the middle of the night when they start.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #14389
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Any new-ish house (say last 25 years) is required to have hardwired smoke detector with backup batteries.

If they are installed correctly the smoke detectors should also "network" and if one battery is dead they all should beep.

Just a few nerd smoke detector facts
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #14390
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Lol, I've got them hardwired too, but when the backup batteries quit they still start chirping and he's right, it's always in the middle of the night when they start.

Mine are just like PilotMan's - hardwired, but chirp when the backup battery quits.

I had one go out on me last week. The chirp woke me up around 4:45 am and my poor dog immediately started to freak. Luckily, I was able to identify the culprit on the 3rd chirp, remove the battery and pull it from the ceiling.

I do need to go out, buy a bunch of new batteries and re-hook some of them up at some point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #14391
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I do need to go out, buy a bunch of new batteries and re-hook some of them up at some point.

Trust me, it's a good idea
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #14392
Easy Mac

Am I the only one who refuses to respond to people when they use multiple question marks in an e-mail? Especially in a work setting. Just confirms my feeling that you're a dick.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #14393
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Am I the only one who refuses to respond to people when they use multiple question marks in an e-mail? Especially in a work setting. Just confirms my feeling that you're a dick.

My old boss used to forward me e-mails and his e-mail would contain only this: "?".

So, I would have to go back through the forwarded e-mail chain to try to determine what exactly his question was. It was super awesome.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #14394
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

To me, it depends on their point? If the attitude is in line with the issue, I wouldn't have an issue with the multiple question marks thing.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #14395
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
My old boss used to forward me e-mails and his e-mail would contain only this: "?".

So, I would have to go back through the forwarded e-mail chain to try to determine what exactly his question was. It was super awesome.

Seems efficient to me. Probably why he is the boss.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #14396
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All these guys being named Shaquille in sports makes me feel very old. I suspect 5 years from now there will be a ton of draft prospects named Kobe. Also probably a ton of 9-12 year olds named LeBron in the pipeline as well.

Last edited by stevew : 04-07-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #14397
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
All these guys being named Shaquille in sports makes me feel very old. I suspect 5 years from now there will be a ton of draft prospects named Kobe. Also probably a ton of 9-12 year olds named LeBron in the pipeline as well.

Related: the kenpom.com blog
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #14398
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow. That's hilarious. I just noticed 5-7 Shaqs in the nfl pool and didn't realize people did data on this.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #14399
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One of my co-workers has been posting on facebook how this terrible stomach virus has been going through her family. And she got it bad. But she's managed to drag herself out of bed and get to work today.

I HATE when people do that. Just stay home. Don't spread the virus. Work from home if you have to.

(FWIW, my office is very cool about covering for sick people. This was not a case where she had to come in for her job. She just felt some need to prove that she was tough enough to make it in.)
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #14400
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

there are some illnesses I will work through depending on severity. stomach bug is not one of them.