Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #14251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
blah blah blah

It was a random thought, not a crusade, but do we really need a seperate thread for call Saul, must be a great show, all of 23 posts in 2 weeks.

There was one werewolf thread at a time and that ended up with its own forum.

FWIW, I would be posting in the Better Call Saul thread if the Breaking Bad people there wouldn't post BB spoiler stuff, a series I haven't gotten going on yet.

Main point provided above, though. If you don't like it, don't go into those threads.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #14252
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Main point provided above, though. If you don't like it, don't go into those threads.

#clicheinternetforumreply
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #14253
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
#clicheinternetforumreply

Well, yeah, point being, it's so cliché, I shouldn't have to tell you that one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #14254
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Come to think of it Wrestling/MMA/College Football/NFL/MLB/NBA et. al. are all on TV so maybe this IS the TV sub forum.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #14255
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What purpose does that serve? There are 50 threads on my front page. 4 of them are dedictated to specific TV shows. Just ignore them if you don't watch them? Of those 50 threads, 17 of them are of absolutely zero interest to me. But it doesn't matter that they're there!

The things that have generated thier own forums in the past (hattrick/soccer games) completely dominated the front page for weeks or longer at the height of their popularity.

Seriously. And the first page has threads that haven't been posted to in four days. If we had new threads popping up all over the place, or had three dozen active TV show threads, ok - maybe a subforum would be handy. But that's not the case.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #14256
Blackadar
Retired

This is the greatest thing ever.

Peanuts Gang Singing "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd - YouTube

And with that, I leave you FOFC. Goodbye.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #14257
molson
General Manager

A youtube user named Richard Waldrup has uploaded a few dozen full-length NFL games from the late 70s through the 80s. It's fascinating to see the differences in TV production and style of play, it brings back a lot of memories.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOH...TPykkPg/videos

Last edited by molson : 02-25-2015 at 09:08 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #14258
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, sweet.

First game I clicked on: 1991 Saints @ Eagles - YouTube

Listen to the first :50 at least. Did not recall that.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #14259
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
A youtube user named Richard Waldrup has uploaded a few dozen full-length NFL games from the late 70s through the 80s. It's fascinating to see the differences in TV production and style of play, it brings back a lot of memories.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOH...MYRQuqYTPykkPg

Seeing Jerry Burns on the sideline made me wonder how much Jerry Burns would be fined were he coaching today. This press conference alone would probably have left him out a years salary.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #14260
molson
General Manager

I'm going to argue in front of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for the first time this spring - which would be a super exciting thing - except that they scheduled it during a planned vacation with my girlfriend to Japan - and apparently they don't let you change dates except for extraordinary circumstances, and I can't really wait indefinitely to see if they'd let me or not. So we'll see how forgiving United is with change fees - $600 between the two of us.....apparently you're almost always screwed in these circumstances but I'm going to give it a shot and send them a bunch of documentation with the reason for the change. I'm reading some anecdotal stuff on message boards that you have a shot if there's a court subpoena or something and this is pretty similar. I feel like my odds are better doing an email request with attached documentation than getting some random phone rep.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #14261
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm going to argue in front of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for the first time this spring - which would be a super exciting thing - except that they scheduled it during a planned vacation with my girlfriend to Japan - and apparently they don't let you change dates except for extraordinary circumstances, and I can't really wait indefinitely to see if they'd let me or not. So we'll see how forgiving United is with change fees - $600 between the two of us.....apparently you're almost always screwed in these circumstances but I'm going to give it a shot and send them a bunch of documentation with the reason for the change. I'm reading some anecdotal stuff on message boards that you have a shot if there's a court subpoena or something and this is pretty similar. I feel like my odds are better doing an email request with attached documentation than getting some random phone rep.

Huh.

How come I didn't know you were an attorney? Maybe I did, but I forgot.

Before I jumped ship in-house, I worked along side some of Idaho AG folks for a bit. I was one of the attorneys representing Saint Alphonsus when it, and the AG and FTC, sued St. Luke's for the acquisition of the primary care group in Nampa.

I hope you get this worked out. Good luck in front of the 9th Circuit!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-25-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #14262
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I feel like my odds are better doing an email request with attached documentation than getting some random phone rep.

I'd have the emails ready to go but you might end up surprised by what the phone call can do. I had very good luck getting change fees waived by a sympathetic CSR (although I did have a story that was much more receptive to that sort of thing, basically a terrible family situation) but in this case you could get someone who could at least be specific about where to direct your request, what exactly needs to be sent, etc. Better luck likely there than sending it to a general mailbox where who knows who will end up picking it up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #14263
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Congrats on the OA!

What's the issue?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #14264
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Congrats on the OA!

What's the issue?

It's scheduled during a planned vacation with his girlfriend to Japan. Can't you read?!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #14265
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

QUESTION PRESENTED:

Whether, when undersigned counsel has a pre-scheduled vacation planned with his girlfriend and (1) she's really hot, and (2) you just know United Airlines is going to be a bitch about change fees, it is an abuse of discretion for this Court to deny counsel's request to move the oral argument date?
Old 02-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #14266
cuervo72
Head Coach

$600? Oral arguments? I thought we'd moved past the Warren Sapp story.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #14267
molson
General Manager

Thanks for the tips and good thoughts. It's a habeas case, but not a watershed one or anything, I'm surprised they took it. I've argued in front of state appellate courts a bunch, but this is a whole different kettle of fish. You don't even get a specific time, you just go in there with everyone else and it's a cattle call. And they scheduled only 10 minutes for each side, which is an indication they don't think the case is particularly important. But it's a nice one to have under my belt I guess, because the issue is relatively simple and it's been my case all through the process.

Last edited by molson : 02-25-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #14268
molson
General Manager

Quote:
QUESTION PRESENTED:

Whether, when undersigned counsel has a pre-scheduled vacation planned with his girlfriend and (1) she's really hot, and (2) you just know United Airlines is going to be a bitch about change fees, it is an abuse of discretion for this Court to deny counsel's request to move the oral argument date?

You know, I'd be fine with the change and the fees if Judge Kozinski would just call my girlfriend and explain why it was necessary. That shouldn't be on me.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #14269
britrock88
Pro Starter

Exciting! Good luck... on both fronts!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #14270
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Here's a silly, ignorant question that popped into my head whilst reading about corporate tax abuse:

Could American tax payers make an effective protest through the use of income tax withholdings (since we're not particularly effective at 'traditional' forms of effective protest)? Like, if folks basically took home their entire pay and didn't pay their taxes until the deadline, essentially denying the government the use of their money for an entire fiscal year, but without any risk to themselves or their lifestyle, would that loss of immediate capital (or possible interest earned from that capital) be a big enough hiccup to as to actually pose a problem/protest to the government? Clearly an individual effort would be worthless, and any kind of effect would probably require hundreds of thousands of folks to do so at the very least, but it seems like the kind of super-low-risk protest that could possibly take off on social media, in the hands of the right whackjobs/patriots.

Surely someone smarter and more informed that me has probably tackled this idea before, and although the idea of tax resistance has a long history, all the examples I can find of that resistance usually extends to not paying some/all of your taxes at all, whereas this idea is just denying the government your money (and any interest earned from its use) for as long as legally possible.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #14271
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just offhand, the big money in taxes is likely paid quarterly whereas individuals paying tax throughout the year from salary received is probably a smaller amount I'd guess?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #14272
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that you don't have a choice about withholding.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #14273
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's such shit the things airlines get away with.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #14274
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think that you don't have a choice about withholding.

Yes and no. I think there's certain tax that gets taken no matter what - payroll tax, SSI/Medicare - but income tax withholding you can adjust, I believe.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #14275
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Yes and no. I think there's certain tax that gets taken no matter what - payroll tax, SSI/Medicare - but income tax withholding you can adjust, I believe.

Yeah, in my experience it's usually an HR/payroll issue, brought up once during your initial hiring phase, never to be discussed again....but you should be able to go to HR and change your income tax withholdings at any time.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-25-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #14276
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Oh, sweet.

First game I clicked on: 1991 Saints @ Eagles - YouTube

Listen to the first :50 at least. Did not recall that.

My god, that defense. What a shame that they were playing Brad Goebel at QB.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #14277
Grover
Pro Starter

Fuck Lowe's and their terrible customer service.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #14278
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Here's a silly, ignorant question that popped into my head whilst reading about corporate tax abuse:

Could American tax payers make an effective protest through the use of income tax withholdings (since we're not particularly effective at 'traditional' forms of effective protest)? Like, if folks basically took home their entire pay and didn't pay their taxes until the deadline, essentially denying the government the use of their money for an entire fiscal year, but without any risk to themselves or their lifestyle, would that loss of immediate capital (or possible interest earned from that capital) be a big enough hiccup to as to actually pose a problem/protest to the government? Clearly an individual effort would be worthless, and any kind of effect would probably require hundreds of thousands of folks to do so at the very least, but it seems like the kind of super-low-risk protest that could possibly take off on social media, in the hands of the right whackjobs/patriots.

Surely someone smarter and more informed that me has probably tackled this idea before, and although the idea of tax resistance has a long history, all the examples I can find of that resistance usually extends to not paying some/all of your taxes at all, whereas this idea is just denying the government your money (and any interest earned from its use) for as long as legally possible.

The problem is if you end up owing more than a certain amount at the end of the year, they actually penalize you and charge you an astronomical fee and mandate you go on quarterly filings the next year.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #14279
digamma
Torchbearer

The penalty is minimal in the grand scheme of things.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #14280
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Removing the idea of protest or resistance, it also seems like you could save yourself a few thousand dollars every year by taking all your money home and investing/depositing those dollars for the year, for your own profit, rather than immediately handing them over to the government....which probably lends credence to the idea that it's not entirely feasible, because if it were folks would already have done it long ago.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-26-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #14281
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Removing the idea of protest or resistance, it also seems like you could save yourself a few thousand dollars every year by taking all your money home and investing/depositing those dollars for the year, for your own profit, rather than immediately handing them over to the government....which probably lends credence to the idea that it's not entirely feasible, because if it were folks would already have done it long ago.

Saving "a few thousand dollars" is only going to happen if you're investing that money. A married couple filing jointly that has $100K in income owes about $17K in federal taxes, so you're talking about earning roughly a 20% return on that money to get that level of benefit. And the first time the market tanks and you find yourself with a massive tax bill at the end of the year that you can't pay just by liquidating your portfolio, that's when it probably stops.

Beyond that, this is basically the approach everyone who isn't in the "tax refund = forced savings/vacation fund" already takes.

Last edited by Logan : 02-26-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #14282
Grover
Pro Starter

Seeing ISIL destroy 2,700 year old Assyrian statues is just... ugh. I don't have any words for it.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #14283
Suicane75
Coordinator

Now they've gotten out of hand.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #14284
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Sears said they would deliver my new washing machine between 4pm and 6pm. It's now 10:50pm. Should I keep the light on for them?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #14285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sears is the worst. I bet the douches complain about your water lines and refuse to install it.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #14286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The problem is if you end up owing more than a certain amount at the end of the year, they actually penalize you and charge you an astronomical fee and mandate you go on quarterly filings the next year.

Plus you'd need millions(tens of millions?) of people to join up to make it any kind of thing.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #14287
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't think the government will care over a little deficit spending until the tax revenues come in.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #14288
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My office looks right out into a hotel and it finally happened today...

There I was, reading a memo on the implications of European competition law on one of general terms and conditions in our supplier contracts, I look up in thought and... BOOM! There's a naked dude walking around in his hotel room right across from me. I only saw a glimpse of his backside before I quickly looked back at the memo.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #14289
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Friday afternoon company meetings with beer are awesome
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #14290
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
My office looks right out into a hotel and it finally happened today...

There I was, reading a memo on the implications of European competition law on one of general terms and conditions in our supplier contracts, I look up in thought and... BOOM! There's a naked dude walking around in his hotel room right across from me. I only saw a glimpse of his backside before I quickly looked back at the memo.

Sorry....

...not really.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-27-2015 at 05:06 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #14291
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It's amusing to watch a gamer moan about how some kickstarter game was delayed and then watch a gamer moan about how some game released by a publisher was released too soon.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #14292
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just watched Robocop 2 and I can't imagine why such angelic views of Detroit never came to pass.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #14293
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Police to man crashed on our stoop, "is that moonshine? Where did you get that?"
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #14294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was just at Costco and heard a guy pleasuring himself is a stall.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #14295
Kodos
Resident Alien

They have very good prices.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #14296
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It makes no sense but I always feel like my clothes get cleaner if I wash them inside out.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #14297
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Was just at Costco and heard a guy pleasuring himself is a stall.

When I was a manager for a local supermarket I had to deal with a special needs teenager who was pleasuring himself at our job kiosk located 15 feet from the service desk and in plain view of anybody walking by.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #14298
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
When I was a manager for a local supermarket I had to deal with a special needs teenager who was pleasuring himself at our job kiosk located 15 feet from the service desk and in plain view of anybody walking by.

Store managers do not get enough credit for how hard their job is. I worked as a bagboy/stockboy at a grocery store in high school. And, from what I could tell, the manager's job was to (1) have every bitchy customer in the store directed to him, (2) actually keep the store running, and (3) deal with all of the random stuff (like above) that came up that there really is no way to deal with and that's why you got the manager.

People do not realize how much creative energy that job takes on a day to day basis.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #14299
Suicane75
Coordinator

I worked for a veterenarian when i was 15, i used to whack it in the kennells. His assistant was a pixie little blonde about 35 or so, I couldn't help myself.

Got an ex girlfriend who's been in jail for a year, looking at a long ass prison term, i'm tempted to write her but don't know what to say, haven't spoken in 15 years. Ugggh. Part legit concern, part lonlieness.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #14300
molson
General Manager

I was in a downtown Vegas Casino bathroom and a guy was jerking it in the stall. You couldn't hear him, but the bathroom light created a shadow of him - and his activities - that you could see outside the stall.