Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #14201
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i am amazed at how hard it is to give my money to insurance agents. i've been trying to get insurance for weeks but no agents will respond. must be some heady days in the insurance biz where they don't want my bizness.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #14202
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i am amazed at how hard it is to give my money to insurance agents. i've been trying to get insurance for weeks but no agents will respond. must be some heady days in the insurance biz where they don't want my bizness.

Are you insuring something complex or just a car?

Why not just do it online?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #14203
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Are you insuring something complex or just a car?

Why not just do it online?

workers comp. online is always my first choice, but isn't helpful in this case.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #14204
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm trying to quantify attraction, visa vi effort and desirability. I've not yet got a formula but in it's plainest terms I keep reaching this simple conclusion. I want Jennifer more right now, but I'd work much harder for Bailey. I've still got a lot more extropalating of data to do, but that's where things stand at the moment.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #14205
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

For my math class I have a chinese teacher that sounds like Fozzie the Bear, and that makes me happy.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #14206
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Wakka wakka
Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #14207
Suicane75
Coordinator

The old joke about chinese arithmatic comes to mind. But i don't know how to use it.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #14208
Suicane75
Coordinator

I once had a very fat english teacher. Not gelatinous fat mind you, just thick and huge. She was maybe 5 feet tall and maybe 3 feet wide. Looking back on it it amazes me how she aquired her dimensions, she was like a walking block of concrete.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #14209
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The old joke about chinese arithmatic comes to mind. But i don't know how to use it.
What joke is that? I really don't know. PM if necessary.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #14210
timmae
College Starter

where's that ping: drunk guy thread?!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #14211
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What joke is that? I really don't know. PM if necessary.

Start with the simile "harder than Chinese arithmetic" and go from there.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #14212
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Although I belong in that thread I refuse t revive it!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #14213
Easy Mac

Installed TCY on my Windows 8 tablet. It runs great, but man, I forgot how much micro-managing needs to be done with time management and all that stuff. It was fun when I was in my 20s at school and working b/s jobs, but now that I have an actual job, I just don't have the energy to mess with that stuff any more.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #14214
Easy Mac

In other text sim goings on...

I'll still occasionally load up WOSOMAN (World Soccer Manager), a game that hasn't been updated in 15 years. Incredibly simplistic, but still an easy break from the more complex games of the day. Anyway, an oddity occurred that makes me think this game is somehow prescient.

The game year is now 2015. The top American keeper is Tim Howard and top American forward is Landon Donovan. Not huge surprises since they were the best young Americans in the game.

The best American defender is a computer generated, 28 year old playing for KC. Strangely, the (arguably) best real life center-back is 28 year old Matt Beslar, playing for KC.

The best American midfielder is a computer generated, 31 year old playing for New England. Strangely, the (arguably) best real life midfielder is 31 year old Clint Dempsey, who previously played for New England.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #14215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hide and seek must have been a lot more boring for parents before smartphones.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #14216
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Installed TCY on my Windows 8 tablet. It runs great, but man, I forgot how much micro-managing needs to be done with time management and all that stuff. It was fun when I was in my 20s at school and working b/s jobs, but now that I have an actual job, I just don't have the energy to mess with that stuff any more.

I could very easily make this same post in this thread about once a year.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #14217
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I started writing a newspaper column to gain local recognition, but it still amazes me that people have begun to recognize me and come up to me to talk about it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #14218
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't do regrets - I try to learn as much as I can from my failures. Today, however, I ran into an old friend who was almost more than a friend at one point, and it really made me wonder about what might have been had I tried a little harder.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #14219
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I don't do regrets - I try to learn as much as I can from my failures. Today, however, I ran into an old friend who was almost more than a friend at one point, and it really made me wonder about what might have been had I tried a little harder.

Wouldn't call that a regret. Just an "I wonder…" which is natural. I've done that sometimes but I typically come background to the good things that wouldn't have happened had things been different.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #14220
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, this was a bit more than a typical wonder. I'm not at all unhappy where I am, so not so big a deal, but still.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #14221
Easy Mac

I wish spotify wouldn't cap playlists at 10,000 songs. Sometimes I just want to shuffle all the songs in my library and I can't do that, because I'm missing a few thousand songs.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #14222
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Jeremiah was a bullfrog.

He was a good friend of mine.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #14223
Suicane75
Coordinator

Since watching the finale of breaking bad I've been walking around singing baby blue a lot. However, due to my tonal limitations, I should not.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 02-20-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #14224
sabotai
General Manager

I really wish I could just pack a bag or two and move to the other side of the fucking planet. I feel so fucking trapped and it feels like it's killing me at times.

(/vague emo shitpost)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #14225
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Alientampon

.com

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-21-2015 at 09:22 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #14226
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Alientampon

.com

I am not at all sure how I feel about this.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #14227
Suicane75
Coordinator

FFS. I hope the children of the people who paid to make that, die in squalor. Just on principal.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #14228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I really wish I could just pack a bag or two and move to the other side of the fucking planet. I feel so fucking trapped and it feels like it's killing me at times.

(/vague emo shitpost)

Pretty sure, if taken literally you'd be in the middle of the southern ocean.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #14229
corbes
College Benchwarmer

The cold never bothered me anyway.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #14230
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Dola,
these are a few of my favorite things.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #14231
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I hate the phrase "thoughts and prayers". It's become such a trite thing to say. My guess is that anyone who says this isn't actually praying for whoever they say this about.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #14232
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I hate the phrase "thoughts and prayers". It's become such a trite thing to say. My guess is that anyone who says this isn't actually praying for whoever they say this about.

I don't typically ask for thoughts and prayers, but I am often asked for them. As someone who doesn't pray, I think it's a pretty nice way for people of faith to acknowledge that others may or may not be praying, but that they can still keep the situation in their thoughts.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #14233
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I don't typically ask for thoughts and prayers, but I am often asked for them. As someone who doesn't pray, I think it's a pretty nice way for people of faith to acknowledge that others may or may not be praying, but that they can still keep the situation in their thoughts.
I think my problem is that it has become just something to say in a time of trouble, and it's lost its meaning. Sort of like "Have a nice day". They really don't care if you have a nice day or not.

I know, it shouldn't bother me, but it does. I guess I'd just like people to mix it up a little bit, instead of everyone saying the same thing. How about instead of saying "thoughts and prayers" (and it's always "thoughts and prayers", never "prayers and thoughts"), say "Hey bud, I'm thinking about you.", or something like that.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #14234
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Now that you mention it, I don't know that I've ever heard anyone OFFER thoughts and prayers. Typically those I know only ASK for them. If you're hearing that used as a canned response, that's pretty lame. Whatever it is that you're giving 'thoughts and prayers' for probably deserves the five seconds it would take to make a personal statement about it.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #14235
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think my problem is that it has become just something to say in a time of trouble, and it's lost its meaning. Sort of like "Have a nice day". They really don't care if you have a nice day or not.

I know, it shouldn't bother me, but it does. I guess I'd just like people to mix it up a little bit, instead of everyone saying the same thing. How about instead of saying "thoughts and prayers" (and it's always "thoughts and prayers", never "prayers and thoughts"), say "Hey bud, I'm thinking about you.", or something like that.

I get what you're talking about, but I really think it's more a you problem. Some people will mean it, some people won't, but that will be true no matter what they say. When they offer that up, I am sure they do so (whether they mean it or not) because it seems appropriate to the situation and they have heard many others do the same.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #14236
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This by the way seems quite similar to the NYT "Don't Thank Me My For Service" discussion going in the other thread.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-23-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #14237
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I get what you're talking about, but I really think it's more a you problem. Some people will mean it, some people won't, but that will be true no matter what they say. When they offer that up, I am sure they do so (whether they mean it or not) because it seems appropriate to the situation and they have heard many others do the same.

Yeah, I know it's a problem I only have. I still hate the phrase.

Quote:
This by the way seems quite similar to the NYT "Don't Thank Me My For Service" discussion going in the other thread.

I read that thread, and as former military, it doesn't bother me, although I served on subs, and was never in a war zone or anything like that, so I don't fell I deserve any special thanks or anything. But I do have some friends that have served in some hairy places, and a lot of them don't like it either.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #14238
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not a prayer, so I'll usually say something like "wishing you well".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #14239
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1

If I say you're going to be in my thoughts and prayers, I will actually pray about it. If people say it just for the sake of saying it, that's on them.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #14240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You'd be guessing wrong at least part of the time.

I won't guess what the percentage is, I'll simply assure you that if I say it (the prayers portion specifically) then it's already been done.

Somewhere along the way I got very picky with myself about that, I've met others who approach it the same way.

fwiw
Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #14241
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I completely get what you're saying and I don't think it's a "you" thing. It sorta seems.... I dunno... kinda generic. I think it depends on the person writing the sentiment. Some will just say it, but others will mean it. With others, they might be stuck on what, or how to say it and "thoughts and prayers" is the only thing they can think of. I do say it a lot, but I'm not good with words and something the generic "my thoughts and prayers are with you" is the only thing that can pretty much summarize my intention. I'm more of a "sending positive/healing vibes" type of person. But when I say it, you best believe I pray/send vibes/good intentions, etc.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #14242
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think the "thoughts and prayers" thing is entirely subjective. If you've got close friends/family who share those kind of thoughts often it probably carries a lot of weight for you, and means something when said to you, or when you yourself say it, even casually. Personally, I've literally only ever heard the phrase from online acquaintances, some of who use the phrase as an ad hoc online announcement for personal bad news, and sometimes that can rub me the wrong way, as it's often presented as"prayers and thoughts for my dying aunt" when what they're really seeking is attention and sympathy for themselves. That's not exactly any kind of crime, or even unusual internet behavior, but I do understand how it can grate on occasion, when tending towards attention whoring or something similar.

Obviously, how religious one is probably has a big impact on how seriously they take any phrase of prayer, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that "thoughts and prayers" also resonated differently depending on other stuff as well, like region, race, or perhaps size of family, etc.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-23-2015 at 09:06 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #14243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

what is the point of having a TV discussion thread if people start all kinds of posts for individual shows? Maybe we need a TV show sub forum?

Last edited by Lathum : 02-24-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #14244
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The individual show threads, I think, allow for more spoilers. I'd be pissed seeing spoilers for a show I hadn't seen yet in the TV discussion thread.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #14245
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The individual show threads, I think, allow for more spoilers. I'd be pissed seeing spoilers for a show I hadn't seen yet in the TV discussion thread.

+1, TV Thread for high level discussion, maybe figuring out what is popular, deciding whether to try out a new show. Some more specific discussion of shows with less of a following here. Threads for individual shows work well for shows that people want to discuss more in depth on a weekly basis without worrying about spoiling anything
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #14246
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hence the sub forum.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #14247
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
hence the sub forum.

What purpose does that serve? There are 50 threads on my front page. 4 of them are dedictated to specific TV shows. Just ignore them if you don't watch them? Of those 50 threads, 17 of them are of absolutely zero interest to me. But it doesn't matter that they're there!

The things that have generated thier own forums in the past (hattrick/soccer games) completely dominated the front page for weeks or longer at the height of their popularity.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #14248
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
hence the sub forum.

Lighten up, Francis.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #14249
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

blah blah blah

It was a random thought, not a crusade, but do we really need a seperate thread for call Saul, must be a great show, all of 23 posts in 2 weeks.

There was one werewolf thread at a time and that ended up with its own forum.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #14250
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It took the Breaking Bad thread over a year to get to 23 posts.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote