Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2023, 12:25 PM   #1351
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Comparing Alabama to FSU was irrelevant to the Committee's decision. This was SEC versus non-SEC.

And that's nothing more than a steaming pile of horseshit, parroted by people who are jealous of the long run of dominance.

That it's Alabama just makes the jealousy even worse.

But it's easier to cry than it is to get to that level ... though if they had a clear path it's pretty obvious that's exactly where FSU wishes they were (or pretty much anywhere other than a currently lifeless ACC).
Old 12-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #1352
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
...except for last Saturday, I guess you mean?

No, I mean including that. I don't include Louisville in that group, which may be part of the disconnect. 18th in Howell, 27th in Sagarin ... they are a good team, but I definitely wouldn't put them in the Top 20. They're a month removed from their last convincing win.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-06-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:37 PM   #1353
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't like the job the committee has, and the 12-team playoff ain't fixing this.
This is the only thing I disagree with. There is no team at 13+ that could say they deserve, earned, or should be in the conversation for the National Title. Heck, no team outside of 5 most years, and 8 in a fluke year. I'm sure in the future that number 13 is going to complain they deserve to be in over number 12 or whatever, but that is a far cry from FSU or Georgia this year that have a legitimate resume equal to the top 4. I have always been for an 8 team playoff. I think that as about as deep as you really need to go for teams that have a legitmate resume and a chance to win. They chose 12, which is probably too far. But to say a 3 loss LSU is going to be equally aggrieved to be shut out of a 12 team playoff as FSU is being shut out of a 4 team playoff is laughable.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-06-2023 at 12:40 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #1354
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with that, but you still end up with the same functional problems:

- The committee decides who gets a bye. That's a big advantage.
- If there is home-field advantage in the second round, that's a huge deal in college football.
- If there isn't home field advantage, then a lot of late regular-season games are rendered meaningless.

For all practical purposes, the top four selected by the committee are still going to be the four competing for the title. Everyone else technically in the field will be at a very large disadvantage. I'll be shocked in the champion doesn't come from the Top 4 upwards of, conservatively, 90% of the time.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #1355
GrantDawg

Quote:
I agree with that, but you still end up with the same functional problems:

- If there is home-field advantage in the second round, that's a huge deal in college football.
- If there isn't home field advantage, then a lot of late regular-season games are rendered meaningless.

For all practical purposes, the top four selected by the committee are still going to be the four competing for the title. Everyone else technically in the field will be at a very large disadvantage. I'll be shocked in the champion doesn't come from the Top 4 upwards of, conservatively, 90% of the time.
It probably will, but I think that would be true no matter how you set the playoffs up. That's because the best team is usually in that top 4, heck many years even the top two. I will say in the first 10 years, there will be a 5 or higher seed to win it all. Of course it will probably be some team like Alabama.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-06-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:56 PM   #1356
GrantDawg

Quote:
It won't be exactly "home field advantage", the higher rated teams will be able to pick which bowl host they will play at. So best team gets to travel the least. Seeding will still be important enough to not want to lose a later game and have to travel cross country.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #1357
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And that's nothing more than a steaming pile of horseshit, parroted by people who are jealous of the long run of dominance.

That it's Alabama just makes the jealousy even worse.

But it's easier to cry than it is to get to that level ... though if they had a clear path it's pretty obvious that's exactly where FSU wishes they were (or pretty much anywhere other than a currently lifeless ACC).

Explain to me in the LSU example I gave where I am wrong, how it would not have played out exactly like that. And then explain how the Committee, using a different tortured standard to get an SEC team in, ended up using Texas to get there?

I don't know how many times I have to say that I agree the SEC is a better conference than the ACC. And I'll even give you that Alabama is a better team than FSU - at least without Travis. But that doesn't explain how they got to the decision they made. They jumped Texas beyond where they should have been ranked in order to make it happen.

Because... why isn't UGA #5?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #1358
GrantDawg

And just for fun, if there were a 12 team playoff this year the team with the beef would be Oklahoma, who would get left out because Liberty would be added as the highest ranked non-power 5 champion. You think that would be the same level of outrage as FSU getting left out? It is stupid, but not really that outrageous.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #1359
Ksyrup

Quote:
This is pure conjecture.

It's not conjecture, it's logic.

How does Texas jump 4 spots playing the easiest conference championship opponent? And you're seriously going to tell me with a straight face that the Texas/Alabama issue did not factor into the seeding at all?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-06-2023, 01:24 PM   #1360
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Most people, including the committee themselves, aren’t willing to accept that Louisville was where (as good as, etc) the committee ranked them. Basically the rankings all season meant nothing and the only rankings that really mattered were the internal rankings that apparently were never shared. I think that’s the answer you are looking for.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #1361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Most people, including the committee themselves, aren’t willing to accept that Louisville was where (as good as, etc) the committee ranked them. Basically the rankings all season meant nothing and the only rankings that really mattered were the internal rankings that apparently were never shared. I think that’s the answer you are looking for.

Or that Louisville eliminated any benefit of the doubt they'd previous gotten.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:57 PM   #1362
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
It's not conjecture, it's logic.

No it isn't. You're assuming, without evidence, why things were done because of aspects of it that you don't agree with. Regarding Texas, it really isn't that complicated. Jumping four spots from 7 to 3 is not in a vacuum.

- They won the conference. Championships are supposed to matter, per the committee guidelines. That, at least arguably, moves them ahead of Ohio State.
- Oregon lost. That's two spots down.
- Georgia lost and wasn't a conference champion. Texas also did better against the common opponent of Alabama. That's three spots down. By the listed criteria of the committee, none of these are not justified. I think Georgia's better than Texas, but again that's besides the point.
- Alabama was ranked below Texas already. That didn't change. So the only question left is, how does FSU compare to Alabama.

Nobody can prove you right or wrong when you assume the committee is lying and assume you know what they would have done in various other hypothetical scenarios. It's conspiracy-theory level stuff, immune to any proof one way or the other. What we can say though is that it's not as if Texas was leapfrogged ahead of Alabama for no reason. They were ahead of them in every.single.ranking the CFP committee put out this year. Unless they are illuminati-style masters of the universe and fully able to predict - heck, why stop there, actively control by fixing the games - the last month-plus of college football happenings, this didn't happen for the purpose of putting the SEC in the playoff. I think they overvalued a first-week win by Texas, but even if so they did it consistently on that issue.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-06-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:22 PM   #1363
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Brock Vandagriff announces, as expected, his transfer to Kentucky.
Going to be interesting to see how he does there. That's a good fit.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:11 PM   #1364
Ksyrup

Jon - on a lighter note, I just saw that Jeff Sims entered the portal.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #1365
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

If Jordan Travis' injury had occurred late in the ACC championship game instead of week 12, not only would FSU have a more impressive win, there would also be no data to show that their offense couldn't function without him. It would be unknown. Pure conjecture. Instead, there was the additional data point of seeing how their offensive production got cut in half in their final two games (against much weaker competition than the other playoff teams) without a quality backup QB.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:12 AM   #1366
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What does the data show for their backup QB getting an additional month of reps and preparation?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:23 AM   #1367
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
What does the data show for their backup QB getting an additional month of reps and preparation?

From working with QBs for a large part of my time coaching, if they can process the game it doesn't even take that long, especially if they are invested in the gameplans, overall scheme and practice reps they do get over the season. I think at this point FSU knows exactly who they have in the QB room and will probably go after a portal player.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:24 AM   #1368
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Unknown. Pure conjecture.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #1369
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont know how to post tweets but BlueBloodsBias is reporting a rumor that FSU is trying to get the B1G. BoDs meet 1-21-24 to discuss

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 12-09-2023 at 11:44 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 11:44 AM   #1370
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Seems legit....
Old 12-09-2023, 11:45 AM   #1371
tarcone
Coordinator

I edited to reflect the tweet more appropriately. Reading stuff really helps

Old 12-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #1372
Edward64
Head Coach

The Hogs are going to lose their QB1 and RB1 to the portal. I can't really blame them, they have to do what's best for them, but the image of rats jumping ship comes to mind.

There are consequences when leadership, coaching & team falls apart in 2H of the season.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:35 PM   #1373
RainMaker
General Manager

That was a pretty fun ending. Just a huge scrum to get 2 yards
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:57 AM   #1374
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats to Daniels.

Is it me or did Heisman seem to just creep up? I don’t remember reading much buildup for it.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:05 AM   #1375
GrantDawg

The FSU thing has sucked up all the oxygen.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2023, 10:22 AM   #1376
miami_fan
Coordinator

Was Jayden Daniels considered a high level pro prospect before the season? I feel like the buildup is usually about this being the next step to a All Pro career or the cap to a legendary college career.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:49 AM   #1377
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
this being the next step to an All Pro career or the cap to a legendary college career.

I was looking at the list of Heisman winners, and we’ve had a long run of people considered very good pro prospects. You have to go back to Tim Tebow, (or Troy Smith year before him depending on your feelings about Tebow as a prospect) to find someone who fits that “great college career, but probably not an NFL player” mold.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #1378
tarcone
Coordinator

By chance dd you check how many times a multiple loss qb won? Or a 3 loss qb?

Old 12-10-2023, 03:04 PM   #1379
GrantDawg

Louisville was 9-4 the year Lamar Jackson won.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:28 PM   #1380
Edward64
Head Coach

With our QB1 going to portal, Hog's are excited about Boise State QB Taylen Green transferring in. Boise forum is saying no big loss but who knows.

Really no idea how good/bad the fit but assume this was Petrino's call so I'll default to good. Hope he becomes a great one like Ryan Mallett (RIP).
Old 12-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #1381
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
QB Grayson McCall appears not to be done with college football despite the injury sustained this season for Coastal Carolina. He has one year of eligibility left and enters the portal as a graduate transfer

And he has transferred across the border to NC State. I hope he has a successful year there that leads him to the NFL
Old 12-14-2023, 11:48 PM   #1382
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa fans poking at Nebby perpetuating the Frost to Iowa as OC.. HAHA

Im betting it is Paul CHryst. The job opened yesterday, so the choice has been made.

Last edited by tarcone : 12-14-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:00 PM   #1383
tarcone
Coordinator

Looks like im wrong. as Joe Philbin seems to be the pick

Old 12-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #1384
Thomkal
Head Coach

Myrtle Beach had its Bowl season today with the Myrtle Beach Bowl. Good thing it wasn't tomorrow as the weather is going to be awful. Also awful was Georgia Southern of the Sun Belt as they lost to Ohio of the MAC 41-21.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:41 PM   #1385
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This App St/Miami game is crazy. I think there are 13 fumbles now.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:15 PM   #1386
PilotMan
Head Coach

Great post season run for the Bison. Helluva game today. Just came up a bit short, and against some hometown refs. The Jacks will steamroll the Griz in the Finals. They are unstoppable this year. Take the Jacks and the spread.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-16-2023 at 07:15 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #1387
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Great post season run for the Bison. Helluva game today. Just came up a bit short, and against some hometown refs. The Jacks will steamroll the Griz in the Finals. They are unstoppable this year. Take the Jacks and the spread.

What a terrible play call on the failed two point conversion. Hopefully that was Entz' idea and not Roehl's if he is going to be the next coach. Uff da!
Old 12-18-2023, 11:45 AM   #1388
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Kyle McCord to Syracuse feels like quite a demotion. One score from the playoffs to struggling to make a bowl game. Yikes.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:50 PM   #1389
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watching USF-Syracuse... the world would miss nothing if there were less bowl teams.

We've had a called fumble on borderline pass that was returned for a touchdown that was called back for a blindsided block that was really a tackler running at a blocker and getting shrugged off.

This was followed by a loss of 15 yards on a terribly designed reverse that was nearly a fumble except everyone fell out of bounds.

This was followed by a fumbled snap on a FG that was returned for a TD.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #1390
GrantDawg

FSU suing to get out of the ACC. It makes me wonder since it is a state school couldn't the legislature in Florida pass a law that basically gets them off the hook on any contract?

Old 12-22-2023, 06:06 PM   #1391
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Their only hope is finding a loophole in the Grant of Rights. FSU would pay more than a half billion dollars in lost media rights and exit fees to get out.

Personally? Fuck em. They signed the grant of rights. They can't say "Whoops, we didn't really mean it, we want so much more elsewhere". They had their chance. (In fact, the grant of rights came around because FSU threatened to move to the Big12, and it was needed to reassure teams that people weren't going anywhere.)

Honestly, within the decade, I find it likely that the whole conference lineup thing will be deader then disco, and we'll just have a U-23 NFL-style league.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:45 PM   #1392
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Watching USF-Syracuse... the world would miss nothing if there were less bowl teams.

We've had a called fumble on borderline pass that was returned for a touchdown that was called back for a blindsided block that was really a tackler running at a blocker and getting shrugged off.

This was followed by a loss of 15 yards on a terribly designed reverse that was nearly a fumble except everyone fell out of bounds.

This was followed by a fumbled snap on a FG that was returned for a TD.

It's getting kind of weird that bowl games even exist when they're now the very least important game of the season for a team (as judged by opt-outs, transfers, etc.), but, if they should exist, they should exist for teams like South Florida to have a chance to play together one more time after a good season, get to travel somewhere fun, get pampered a little bit.

I always feel bad for the teams who come here to Boise for the potato bowl, but, those who make the trip get taken care of too - they go sledding up at Bogus Basin ski resort, eat some finger steaks, get police escorts, I guess it's cool for Utah St. or Georgia St. kid having his final college football experience.

Last edited by molson : 12-22-2023 at 06:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:52 PM   #1393
GrantDawg

It is the exact reason they should exist. It is a great opportunity for the players to have one last game usually in an exotic setting. Most college players are not going to play in the NFL. This is their last game to ever wear a uniform. I know all the focus of fans is on the top players and the opt-outs, but for every one of them, there are 20-50 players giving their sweat and blood just to play a game they love. So what if it isn't great tv? The bowls get enough viewers and make enough money to give the kids a game they will always remember.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:34 PM   #1394
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
ISo what if it isn't great tv? The bowls get enough viewers and make enough money to give the kids a game they will always remember.

Nearly all are losing money, aside from the TV deal. They exist now solely to BE a TV program (which insanely also loses money for the network but that madness is a whole other discussion) so they kinda need to be at least decent TV in order to continue to exist.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:42 PM   #1395
GrantDawg

Once tv stops paying then maybe they will disappear. But networks are starved for live content and these games still get more viewers than most other options.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:30 PM   #1396
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Air Force.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #1397
GrantDawg

Now all the major ACC programs are following suit with FSU. RIP ACC

Old 12-23-2023, 08:39 PM   #1398
bronconick
College Starter

Utah-Northwestern looks like Iowa playing Iowa
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:09 AM   #1399
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Now all the major ACC programs are following suit with FSU. RIP ACC

Link? I haven’t seen this online?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #1400
Thomkal
Head Coach

well at least i woke up to some good news this morning-in hawaii last night Coastal won its bowl game 24-14 over San Jose ST.