Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2003, 04:52 PM   #1351
bbor
Pro Starter

Rumour out of Turkey is that his death was a suicide

Klatt signs with L.A

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #1352
Karim
College Starter

Pure speculation, but so much to happen to one team... We've heard about the Russian mob targetting Bure, et al., before...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:41 PM   #1353
ice4277
Pro Rookie

In regards to Kariya and Selanne:

I think its funny how, up to this point, many in the media/public would bitch and moan that all players cared about was money, and there was too much of it going to the players and floating around the game. Now, when two players take drastic pay cuts in order to go after a Cup, people bitch because they should have had to take a pay increase.

Guess there's no pleasing some people
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #1354
bbor
Pro Starter

I think there may be a good shot that Fedorov signs with the Ducks..

It kinda makes sense...Feds is NOT gonna get 10 mil a season again....Ducks have 8 mil or so to spend....Murray needs to make a splash to keep his fans interested....

Who fits that bill??

Feds.

Comments?

That would be a great deal,Not many people would give you Feds for Kariya.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #1355
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think it would make sense for both parties; Fedorov wants to go where he can be the center of attention; I kind of look at him now as the David Beckham of hockey. And Anaheim needs some sort of star power, I think, to keep people interested.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:21 AM   #1356
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good speculation, bbor, and it's not a thought that has failed to occur to Ducks fans, the Ducks themselves, Murray, or Feds himself.

Reportedly, Federov has made it clear that Anaheim is one of the places he would be interested in signing. And Murray has made a lot of noise about "all the money he has available to spend now".

As blasphemous as it would be to say it as a Ducks fan, I'm not sure I wouldn't take Federov over Kariya either.

It was probably the only local report on the day Kariya left that made me crack a smile about hockey.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-08-2003 at 02:22 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:17 AM   #1357
primelord
Pro Rookie

Federov will be wearing a Blue Note in the very near future.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:00 AM   #1358
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Poor Primer. He's been waiting for this moment for years now. First it was Shanahan, then Hull, then CuJo, eventually, one day, I am sure Pronger will come in to replace Hatcher... This list goes on and on.

All I have to say to that is:

Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney for Adam Oates and Paul McClean.

You are STILL paying us back for that nonsense.

Hasek un-retirment press conference in about one half of one hour.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:02 AM   #1359
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Federov will be wearing a Blue Note in the very near future.

Yikes.

On the Kariya or Fedorov front, I would take Fedorov any day.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:16 AM   #1360
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Poor Primer. He's been waiting for this moment for years now. First it was Shanahan, then Hull, then CuJo, eventually, one day, I am sure Pronger will come in to replace Hatcher... This list goes on and on.

All I have to say to that is:

Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney for Adam Oates and Paul McClean.

You are STILL paying us back for that nonsense.

Hasek un-retirment press conference in about one half of one hour.

Well it could end up getting worse. I heard a nasty little rumor the otehr day that the Blues are thinking about not making Demitra and qualifying offer and that if they don't the Red Wings are waiting to snatch him up. Hell why stop there. Why not ship them Pronger and Jackman too.

Another interesting rumor I heard was if the Blues do work out a deal with Federov they are going to be looking to move Weight. (Which makes sense. Weight is a wonderful player, but he can't carryu his own line. He needs wingers to setup and the Blues just don;t have them). Rumor has it that Detroit would send CuJo back to us for Weight.

I am not certain if there is any substance to that or even how I would feel about that. On the positive side that would make the Blues better. Federov is an improvement over Weight and we would then also be upgrading our goal tending which we desperately need. (Why the hell would they re sign Osgood? The better question is why did they trade for him at all, but I am getting off topic here). So improving the squad is a good thing. However at the same time it would also improve Detroit seeing as they won't need CuJo anyway if/when Hasek returns. And improving Detroit is a VERY bad thing.

In the end I guess I would be surprised if either team would do that because I don't think either team wants to make a deal that would hel[p the other one out. Who knows. Red Wings suck.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #1361
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, it's official. Hasek is back. My fantasy team has a new goalie.

Now the hard part... Trading Joseph. It will be Joseph, I have to bet.

St. Louis, New York and Boston are reportedly on the radar. I imainge Boston would be looking to ship Marty LaPointe back. St. Louis has some pay-roll problems. Demetria or Weight would be just fine. As for the Rangers... dare I say, The Big Baby, good friend of Steve Yzerman, Eric Lindros?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #1362
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

That is going to be quite a task. I hear that the Wings want "a scoring center". I wonder if anyone else will want Cujo desperately enough to not hold the Wings feet to the flames? Cujo is good, but 8 million dollars good? Pavol Demitra good? We'll see.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #1363
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think whatever deal may come the Wings will have to eat some of Joseph's salary. That's a given. Not too many players make more than him, so you swap Joseph for someone who makes a little less. Evens things out.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:45 PM   #1364
klayman
College Benchwarmer

They should trade him to the Avs for Kariya and Selanne
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:22 PM   #1365
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm thinikning th deal won't be made till Training camp at least.If Cujo is leaving the wings...why would he make it easy for them.I'm sure if he causes some disruptions there first it will enhance his chance at a cup elsewhere,although i don;t think he has it in him to do that.

Latest reports are the Leafs are hot after Marchment...He is willing to sign a 1 year deal.

Lots of unrest here by the players about the Leafs not signing any FA's....Rumour has it Quinn won't sign Newy because it will give Roberts too much power in the dressingroom.

Devries apparently is still high on their list of players they are chasing.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:22 PM   #1366
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think whatever deal may come the Wings will have to eat some of Joseph's salary. That's a given. Not too many players make more than him, so you swap Joseph for someone who makes a little less. Evens things out.

That would put Weight and Demitra out of the picture then. Weight makes 9 million a year and Demitra is likely to get atleast 7 from an arbitrator.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #1367
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Well, say the Wings decide to trade with St. Louis. St. Louis is already paying Osgood $3 million this year. Joseph is obviously an upgrade, but they would probably insist the Wings pay 2/3 of his salary. So in return for this, the Blues give the Wings Weight. He's making, what, $6 million? That basically means that the Wings have paid $12 million for Doug Weight. Yikes!

EDIT: Weight makes $9 million? I don't envy Holland's job in the least!

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-08-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #1368
bbor
Pro Starter

Cujo will be a Ranger...Lindros will be a wing...Dunham will be a Bruin....Lapointe will be a Ranger.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:52 PM   #1369
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Lindros a Wing...how fitting.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #1370
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'd buy that scenario. I like it... I guess.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #1371
bbor
Pro Starter

Wierd thing about the Lyashenko(sp?) death.

4 players from his club team have died now....including the coach who was gunned down last year....could this be some sort of mob thing?

Grigerenko was also his team mate....did someone cut his brakes?

Old 07-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #1372
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
That basically means that the Wings have paid $12 million for Doug Weight. Yikes!

Well, they would have paid $12M for Weight plus the upgrade from Joseph to Hasek, since that's what the entire thing is predicated on.

How much is Hasek worth? Would he have gotten them past Anaheim?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:13 PM   #1373
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's hard to argue against Hasek's worth. Last time he was on an NHL ice surface he was carrying the Stanley Cup. He has countless Vezina and Hart trophies. He makes a difference. Yes, he'll have some rust, he's older and hasn't played in a year. But he's still Dominik Hasek. Quite a force. One of the top five goalies of all time.

Still, there's no guarantee he would have gotten the Wings past Anaheim.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #1374
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Someone mentioned to me that Holland stated that the Wings were going to try and keep payroll about the same as last years. Has anyone else heard this, or is the source smoking crack?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:28 PM   #1375
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think that's been the goal. Your source is right. So far, they are still close to budget. This, of course, assumed you get rid of one of the two goalies.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #1376
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think that's been the goal. Your source is right. So far, they are still close to budget. This, of course, assumed you get rid of one of the two goalies.

One of the THREE goalies

I'm sure there are about 15 teams that would LOVE to have Legace as their starting tender.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:16 AM   #1377
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've always held the belief that Legace really is at his best when playing the back-up role.

His first big splash, well medium splash, came in LA when took over mid-way through the season or so. He was stellar. Next year, when the starting job was more or less his, he crumbled. This led to his being let go and scooped up by the Wings.

Legace has been great as a back. Fantastic. More than you would hope. I am just not certain how he'd react to being the starter. Psychological difference there.

I wont knock the guy. It's nice to know he's there.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:30 AM   #1378
Karim
College Starter

Damn, Toronto is a joke... no offense bbor.

It's hard to believe they can't get their shit together with the resources at their disposal.

A lame duck head coach who used to be GM, and may still remain as GM, who now is in charge of a 3-man committee to hire his boss over whom he will still have veto power while acting as interim GM but going on vacation to Vancouver just as soon as free agency starts...

A defence that boast of only two solid NHLers in Kaberle and McCabe...

$4 million on hold to see if Svehla, a person who has already unretired once, wants to play again while Nieuwendyk and Marchment are willing to play in Toronto for a fraction of the price but are seen by this interim GM as giving too much power in the dressing room to Gary Roberts...

A $2 million dollar goon in Tie Domi who suggests if maybe Roberts would give back some of the money he's making, then Toronto would sign Marchment and Nieuwendyk...

A couple of stars and supposed leaders of the team in Sundin and Nolan who need to phone Domi to find out what's going on with the team...

And the hits just keep on coming...

Last edited by Karim : 07-09-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #1379
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Carolina signed Wesley. Again.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #1380
bbor
Pro Starter

Karim..Unfortunatly...as long as thier are bums in the seats nothing will change in Toronto...we figured with new ownership things would change around here...but everything stays the same....

I'm glad i am a NHL fan first and foremost..and a Leaf fan 2nd...or else i would be REALLY going nuts.

Word is now that the Leafs are on the "verge" of signing Magnus Arvedson....On the "verge" in FA starved Toronto means they bumped into his agent at a charity golf tournament

They interviewed the Leafs Assist. GM the other day...he said he could'nt understand why Toronto fans are so uptight that the Leafs havent signed any Fa's.....he went on to explain that the Leafs have made the play-offs the last 5 years....so there is no worries......

ASSHAT!

Old 07-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #1381
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Crap, we haven't signed a FA in 5-6 years, I don't know what you leaf fans are complaining about
Old 07-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #1382
Karim
College Starter

It's different here in Alberta klayman but hopefully things will change with the new CBA or I'll be cheering for the Hitmen on a full-time basis...

Making the playoffs should be an annual goal for the Flames, not the Leafs...

On a side note, the WHA is back at it, banking on a major work stoppage. Its development league starts next year, followed by 12 teams. Each team has to be backed by an owner or consortium that has a net worth of $100 million. Each franchise will have a salary cap of $10 million with the ability to sign a marquee player over and above the cap.

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/
Old 07-10-2003, 12:25 AM   #1383
bbor
Pro Starter

Interesting....seems like more bargaining power for one side...i'm just trying to figure out which side it helps.

Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #1384
bbor
Pro Starter

Don Sweeney signs in Dallas......I actually like this guy...i think he is a solid 5-6 defenceman.

Of course he has been injured alot...but.....no risk no reward.

Old 07-10-2003, 02:17 PM   #1385
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
A $2 million dollar goon in Tie Domi who suggests if maybe Roberts would give back some of the money he's making, then Toronto would sign Marchment and Nieuwendyk...
I missed this one... when did this happen?

Oh, and please lord, don't let them sign Arverdsson. He may quite possibly be the softest player in NHL history.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:56 PM   #1386
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yes, I like the Sweeney signing, too. He's very strong, and knows how to play the position. Plus, he's very strong for his size. He won't get more then 15-20 minutes when he plays, be he can help slow forwards down.

EDIT:
Found this tidbit on SLAM! and thought it was interesting...

Quote:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (CP) -- The Nashville Predators have re-signed forward Scott Hartnell to a one-year, $1.18-million US deal.

The 21-year-old accepted the team's qualifying offer. He was a restricted free agent without arbitration rights.

The former Prince Albert Raiders star in the WHL had 12 goals and 22 assists in 82 games with the Predators last season, his third in the NHL. He had 14 goals and 27 assists in 75 games the year before.

Hartnell was Nashville's first choice, sixth overall, in the 2000 NHL entry draft.

Looks like he has one more chance to show his stuff. I really thought (think?) that he would be a superstar. My guess is he gets traded to Colorado for peanuts and finds his game. Amazing what playing with Sakic, Forsberg, Hedjuk, Selanne and Kariya can do for a young kid!

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-10-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #1387
bbor
Pro Starter

Sach....If Hartnell is only 21 now....and has played 3 season in the NHL...i think he has done VERY well,being a 15 goal scorer and a 30 point getter at his age is pretty solid...especially playing withj an expansion team.

M.L : The softest player in NHL history is Inge Hammerstrom......it was said he could go into the corners to get the puck with a pocket full of eggs and come out with non of them broken

Old 07-10-2003, 05:50 PM   #1388
Franklinnoble
Banned

This would make an excellent new thread killer thread.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #1389
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble

Save this thread has actual posts and intelligent thought and breaking news. It's all good....
Old 07-10-2003, 08:52 PM   #1390
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #1391
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, reports out of the New York Post claim that talks broke down between Detroit and Boston. Sounded like Boston was looking to trade Marty LaPointe back to Detroit for CuJo.

Detroit wasn't willing to take one enough of CuJo's contract. That's fine by me. I like Marty. Played well for the Wings and then got his money at the height of free agent madness. That being said, if the Wings lose Fedorov, which they likely already have done, they need more than LaPointe to compensate.

At this stage, the best replacement I have heard mentioned, via the trade route, is Doug Weight. Weight is not as good as Fedorov, but he's damned good. However, that would mean dealing with the Blues. This is never, ever good for the Wings and should be avoided at all costs.

The most advisable way to get a Blues player is, ideally, have him leave the Blues first, go to another team, and THEN get him. It must have to do with some sort of cleansing process or something.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:20 AM   #1392
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Wow. It's complicated being a Wings fan. As an Oiler fan, we're only interested in one thing. "Ever play/like/cheer for the Flames? No, welcome aboard!"
Old 07-11-2003, 09:25 AM   #1393
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Speaking of the beloved Oil. I also heard some rumor about CuJo maybe being shipped back to Edmonton. I put very little thought into it. I couldn't imagine Edmonton taking on any type of significant portion of CuJo's $8 million contract. That being said, Salo is done for, I think. He wasn't great last year. Has never won a play-off series. He had the Olympic gaff. He sucked in the World Championships. He is certainly done in National competitions at least...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #1394
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The most advisable way to get a Blues player is, ideally, have him leave the Blues first, go to another team, and THEN get him. It must have to do with some sort of cleansing process or something.

*Sigh* You get Hull, Shanny, Cujo and we get fucking Osgood. Why me?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #1395
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
*Sigh* You get Hull, Shanny, Cujo and we get fucking Osgood. Why me?

Two words. Bernie Federko. Two more words. Tony McKegney.

'Nuff said.

Osgood is cool! You've got the whole "Ozzie" thing. The Wizard of Os. Fun stuff like that for the kids.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:54 AM   #1396
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Two words. Bernie Federko. Two more words. Tony McKegney.

'Nuff said.

Osgood is cool! You've got the whole "Ozzie" thing. The Wizard of Os. Fun stuff like that for the kids.

Yea but we only got 2 1/2 seasons out of Oates. Which is granted more than you got out of Federko. And I will give you the two full seasons we had him were both 100+ point seasons. But you have had 6 years of Shanahan scoring 30 or more goals. So I think it's even.

Yea and Osgood is fine. As long as you can score 6 goals a game Osgood will win a lot of games for you.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #1397
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Speaking of the beloved Oil. I also heard some rumor about CuJo maybe being shipped back to Edmonton. I put very little thought into it. I couldn't imagine Edmonton taking on any type of significant portion of CuJo's $8 million contract. That being said, Salo is done for, I think. He wasn't great last year. Has never won a play-off series. He had the Olympic gaff. He sucked in the World Championships. He is certainly done in National competitions at least...

Well, with Markkanen gone, any deal for a goalie would have to include Salo. I doubt the Wings are going to take Salo and pay half of Joseph's salary in any kind of deal, even if there is another team involved. Besides, we don't like Cujo.

Salo has been shopped since the end of the playoffs, but there have been no takers, which isn't surprising. He's making too much money, and the Oilers are probably asking too much in return. Add to that, any trade for Salo is going to have to send another starting GK back to Edmonton, and I don't think Salo will be leaving soon, unless Conklin starts walking on water and turning water into wine at the camp.

In other hockey news, Ken Daneyko is going to announce he's offically reached the age of consent to join the Red Wings blue line next season.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:05 AM   #1398
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Update on Lyashenko from Andrew's...

Quote:

Lyashenko update
Thursday, July 10, 2003
A former coach said ex-Star Roman Lyashenko, who apparently committed suicide this week, was unhappy with his life in the U.S. and was having doubts about his hockey career in North America. But that coach doesn't think Lyashenko's hockey troubles prompted the young Russian to take his life.

Lyashenko, the Stars' second round pick in the 1997 draft, was found dead in a hotel room in Turkey on Sunday. Investigators say the 24-year-old was discovered hanging by his own belt in the bathroom.

Turkish authorities said he left a note in which he apologized for killing himself. Lyashenko also had tried to cut his wrists before hanging himself, according to a Turkish police officer.

"He wanted to make it in the world hockey elite, but he wasn't yet able to," Pyotr Vorobyov, who once coached Lyashenko in Russia, told the New York Times. "He had doubts. He needed more trust and confidence in himself."

Lyashenko was unhappy with the fact that he spent virtually all of last season with the New York Rangers' minor league team, the Hartford Wolfpack of the AHL.

The Rangers contract offer to Lyashenko for next season was a two-way contract that would have paid him significantly less when he played in the AHL.

Lyashenko reportedly was going to play hockey in Russia if he did not get a contract that paid him the same whether he played in the NHL or AHL. His agent had talked with a couple of teams in Russia about Lyashenko returning to his homeland to play hockey.

"I invited him back," Vorobyov told the Times. "I said: 'Roma, come to us. You can believe in yourself again.' "

But Vorobyov told the Times he doubted that Lyashenko's struggles in the hockey world drove him to take his life. Vorobyov would not speculate on other possible reasons.

Others, however, find Lyashenko's death suspicious. They point to some other recent tragedies in the Russian hockey world.

A former Lyashenko coach, Alexei Traseukh, was found shot to death in his apartment in January. Red Wings prospect Igor Grigorenko, who played with Lyashenko in international competition, was injured in a car accident in May. A former teammate of Lyashenko, Vladimir Antipov, was injured and his wife killed in a car wreck in June.

That had some speculating about a possible connection to the Russian mafia, which has been accused of extorting money from Russian players in the NHL.

"I wouldn't even want to speculate on that," Hartford Wolfpack captain Ken Gernander told the Hartford Courant. "All I know is I appreciated Roman as a person and respected him as a player."

Gernander was stunned at the news of Lyashenko's apparent suicide.

"It's shocking because it's so uncharacteristic," Gernander told the Courant. "Some guys wear their heart on their sleeve and are up and down a lot. But Roman seemed to take everything with a grain of salt.

"He had a very, very dry sense of humor, which I appreciated, but emotionally he was always the same, never on that emotional roller coaster. But maybe we didn't know him as well as we thought we did. Still, it's so out of character for the Roman I knew.

Gernander's dad, Bob, is the top scout for the Dallas Stars.

"My dad loved Roman as a player, and he was the best two-way player we had. But it's hard to talk about that now because it's all so irrelevant."

Lyashenko's body is expected to arrive in Russia on Friday.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #1399
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Way to go, Leafs.

Quote:

Toronto Maple Leafs sign free-agent defenceman Bryan Marchment

TORONTO (CP) -- The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed unrestricted free agent Bryan Marchment, a source has told The Canadian Press.

The veteran defenceman agreed to a one-year deal worth $2 million US.

Marchment, 34, is a hard-hitting player who will add the kind of physical presence the Leafs were desperately looking for after the apparent retirement of Robert Svehla.

Marchment had two goals, 12 assists and 141 penalty minutes last season with San Jose and Colorado. He has 2,126 penalty minutes in 814 career games with Winnipeg, Chicago, Hartford, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, San Jose and Colorado.

When veteran defenceman Glen Wesley, an unrestricted free agent, signed a one-year, $2.75-million deal with Carolina earlier this week, the Leafs needed to find help in a hurry.

Toronto's blue-line took a hit in late April when Robert Svehla announced his retirement during the world hockey championship in Finland. The Leafs were caught off guard by that and suddenly faced the prospect of having only Bryan McCabe and Tomas Kaberle as quality defencemen.

Thinking that Svehla might try to play in Europe next season the Leafs picked up his $4-million contract option for 2003-04 to prevent him from signing with anyone else in the world.

But now the Leafs feel like they have their hands tied with Svehla wavering on whether or not he'll come back to play after all.

The Leafs want to now whether or not they're on the hook for $4 million.

Svehla's agent Rich Winter has had talks with the Leafs aimed at resolving the issue and one option would be to buy out Svehla and make him an unrestricted free agent.

That way the Leafs could quickly move on and spend their money elsewhere.

"We will give them a proposal on how that (making Svehla a free agent) can happen and how it can happen immediately," Winter said Friday from Edmonton.

"We're waiting for the Leafs to call us back and we'll communicate our position to them," Winter added. "Then we'll give them the weekend to think about it and hopefully they'll make a decision."

If you guys are trying to become the most hated team in the league, this is a great way to win the title.

Marchment=Cheap Motherfucker
Old 07-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #1400
bbor
Pro Starter

Color me surprised that the Leafs signed ANYBODY....None the less...it does help the blueline immensly.