Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #1351
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Went to my local store that is closing and picked up the one anniversary edition of El Grande. It's OOP with no time frame that I know of for a reprint.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1352
tarcone
Coordinator

How much?

I may have to get you to pick me up a copy.

Game day/night at my house Wednesday. 6 of us playing. Starting with Attack! and the expansion. Then smash up and finish with Dominanat Species. or something along those lines.

Loking forward to it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #1353
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

20% off. By all accounts I got the last copy since they have room on their shelves. I'm waiting to see what the next level is for discounts. There's some interesting ones left, but really not much. It was a comic book shop as much as a board game place. Their selection was mild at best. If they drop down to 40% though, I'm busting over there to see if Clash of Cultures is still there. $80 retail is too a high starting point for me with 20% off. 40% off beats CSI by $3 and without shipping. Kemet and some others might be a nice fall back if there.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #1354
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Went to the local meet up. First game was Pillars of the Earth. If the event deck was better implemented, I don't think I could vote between it and Lords of Waterdeep. Second game was Vegas Showdown. It was interesting to see the similarities between it and Suburbia. One guy said he liked VS more, but I think I feel the opposite although I don't think there's that much difference. I just like the theme of Suburbia and how it is implemented better. Last game was T'zolkin. I got my butt handed to me compared to the guy who won. I enjoyed it, but it is another game I would want to study as much as play. Outside of the local meetups and Cons, I doubt I'll play it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #1355
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Had a game day yesterday.

We opened with Seven Wonders. Introduced the game to a relatively new gamer. While I took a slightly different approach to the game than I normally do, i must have been totally over confident, as I only managed to put up 59 points. That was good enough for fourth out of four, with the winner tallying 62. If you haven't played seven wonders yet, you are sentenced to go back and read the first 27 pages of this thread.

Next up with Kemet. This was one that surprised me. It boils down to a war game, where you earn victory points for winning battles and holding territories. There is a pretty straight forward technology tree with three tracks, red Offensive Magic, Blue Defensive magic, and White Magic that I'll sum up as magic that alters or enhances game mechanics. This is one I"m going to want to try again and likely again. It played quickly, and I just love a good technology tree.

We then played Edo, which I found at Gen Con last year, and really liked it. It was, for me, the second best game there. I can't explain why this was only my second time playing, as I really enjoy it. Edo is an economy engine building game, where players vie for control of townships while collecting victory points mostly by building houses, trading houses, and fortresses/Castles. The trick to it, is that you secretly set your three actions for the round before the round, and reveal them one at a time in turn order. Each player starts with three "action wheels" with four actions each, and you rotate them to select an action. So you may not be able to carry out two specific actions, because they are on the same wheel. To alter this a bit, there are a set of alternate wheels with a variety of bonuses for sale. I ended up with six wheels by the end of the game. This is another one I've put off buying for too long.

Next up was Archipelago. A semi coop game with secret game ending conditions and secret scoring options. Well secret in that each player is aware of only those on their one drawn card. This one has some potential, although we believed that it was too easy for one player who essentially drew the "traitor" card. He won if the game's mechanics prevailed. It may have only been so easy for him because we weren't very efficient building our economic engines, but it was not a difficult task for him to take advantage of many opportunities. We decided to try it again, but first we would remove the "traitor" card.

That'll have to do for now, we also played Mundus Novus and Divianre, but those will have to wait.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #1356
cschex
High School Varsity

Really enjoyed Kemet the only chance I got to play it last month and would love to get it, but without a regular gaming group outside of the local meetup it probably wouldn't make it to the table too often as a 2 player. Though, Matthean, if your local store makes it to 40% and has multiple copies, let me know.

Been playing 2 and 3 player T'zolkin a lot lately and am pretty obsessed with it. It's my first true worker placement and it just works really well.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #1357
Danny
Head Coach

Half way through Sherlock Holmes consulting detective I think. If my first play through is any indication I think its a good thing I am not a detective lol
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #1358
Danny
Head Coach

90 minutes left on galaxy defenders!

Galaxy Defenders - Co-op Sci-Fi Miniature Board Game by Ares Games — Kickstarter

If you do purchase, can you within 2 hours from joining - send a message (using the "Contact" button below their logo in the sidebar), including ONLY the words: "Agency, I was Recruited by "Daniel D."

We both get free figures that way

Last edited by Danny : 05-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1359
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

$90 is too high of a price point though. I paid like $65 + shipping for Eclipse. Yes, I know I'm missing out on rewards. I'm OK with that.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #1360
Danny
Head Coach

If retail is $90, game will sell for $60-65

I got in at early bird rookie agent $75
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #1361
tarcone
Coordinator

Game day tomorrow. I set up Attack! and the expansion. Played through a round with 6 players. Looks like it will be a fun game. I had fum, but it was hard on me playing all six armies.
Looks like the early strategy is getting the neutral minors and quickly. That gets you economic cards. Which is a necessity.
Tried to play all the rules. Need to do a naval battle.
Technology is a double edged sword. I spent 30 PPs to get the roll to 6. Got the tech, but it was secret service, which I wasnt all that impressed with.
The trade routes are powerful. I think throwing them out for bids when you are near the end of the rotation is the best strategy, esp. if others are building armies.

A few thoughts from my dry run.

Looks like Manhattan Projest will get a play. And depending on time, Im hoping Dominant Species hits the table. But that is doubtful. Tammany Hall will be on the agenda id DS doesnt make it.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #1362
tarcone
Coordinator

Attack didnt make it to the table. Too much coming and going. Class, church caused a couple to leave early. One came late as he was teaching Summer school. Next time.

We started off with Cards Against Humanity. Waiting for the 5th to show. Good times again. I didnt win but was close.

Next was Tammany Hall, while waiting for the 6th to show. This was a great game. Very tense and back and forth. I made a big mistake in the 3rd election because of poor addition. Bid one less then needed, so we tied and I lost control of ward one. I ended up 2nd as I couldnt win Mayor the last election.

Then we played Smash Up. I was Steam Punk Dinosaurs. This was my first game. It was okay. But very luck driven. Based on what cards you drew. The guy that was Zombie Ghosts won pretty easily.

Last game was Manhattan Project. Also, my first time playing. There was a lot of things going on. It could get brutal. Lots of decisions. I was 6 points away from winning. I had a couple big Uranium bombs waiting for the uranium. But the guy on my left was able to build to Uranium bombs to win. I did detonate the first plutonium bomb. So I considered that a victory.

All in all a good time. Got to play new games that i didnt buy. Hooray. But I was disappointed that Attack! didnt make it. We plan on getting together after my vacation and playing Attack!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #1363
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Finally went through Rick Royal's walkthrough for Mage Knight and took notes. It helped clean up some stuff on set up, but figuring out what tiles to use still wasn't 100% clear. I'm hellbent to get it played tomorrow so I can start playing it more often and move onto other stuff as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #1364
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Looking to purchase King of Tokyo but was wondering how does it play with two players? Watching some videos it looks like it may be pretty stale with only two players.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #1365
Danny
Head Coach

I would not play it with two players
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #1366
tarcone
Coordinator

I forgot to mention that we had a new guy play this last time. He hasnt played these types of games. Risk was the extent of his gaming experience. He fell in love. He cant wait for the next game day already.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #1367
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I would not play it with two players

Yeah, not a great two player game.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #1368
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The only way for KoT to be decent with two is have players use multiple monsters. You would need to change the scoring for being in Tokyo at the beginning of your turn to 1 if you were just using one monsters. Again, I don't think it is that great with two since you need more players for the press your luck factor. I'm rather certain there will be a team expansion which might make two-player games promising. A quick beat 'em up for two would be BattleCON. The base game gives you 18 different characters and the new forthcoming expansion/base gives you 30. There's tons of replay in the original game though.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #1369
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Yeah - that's what I figured... bummer

How about any thought on Mice and Mystics?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #1370
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If two players, you need to control more than one mouse, but that would be about the only downside. I think I need to start playing the game solo since I'm ahead in learning games compared to what gets played at my game groups. I could easily bring 5 games that would be new to the group before learning anything new.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #1371
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Played a couple games of Suburbia. I won the first game in part because my secret goal earned 20 points versus the other player's 10. The follow up game was defined by the goals and the first player who grabbed the lake resort tile that gives your lakes twice the cash benefit and there was the goal for a player who had the most lakes. I tried keeping up with lakes, but I decided it was hurting me too much so I just tried to crank out enough population to counter losing out on the most lakes bonus. I was nearly screwed on money and rep for the whole game and even ended with -2 money and -1 for rep in terms of end of round bonuses. I think there was 5 different times I ended up being 1 money away from buying what I wanted with even many of them were consecutive rounds. We still ended up tied until money was counted when I got beat due to her lake strategy. There is a little randomness going on, but overall it is a very good game. It's going to be in my own Top 10 for a bit.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #1372
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Suburbia's been our group's favorite for a couple of months now.

I wish I could find a copy for home. Seems like it would be a decent two-player game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #1373
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Reprint is in June I think. Getting the 2nd print run will be better since there were definite component issues during the first one.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #1374
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think I bought Mage Knight in April 2012. I finally got it played. I remember when hearing about it and going, "This could be like the best thing ever." I was not disappointed. It will take some more plays with even just the same hero but there is little reason to believe this will not take over as my favorite game.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1375
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Impromptu game night. Unintended but we played three Knizia games that I had never played.

Zombie Dice: The only game that wasn't done by Knizia. Wildly random in it's dice rolling as the other two players had runs of 8 brains as where my best I think was 4+ but it was on my final turn trying to take out the person who had the needed 13 brains while me being shot three as well, so I actually didn't even keep those brains. The only decision you really have is do you stop rolling or not.

Sushizock im Gockelwok: Another dice based game where you are trying to collect an even number of sushi(plus points) and bones(negative points) tiles. Any extra sushi tiles aren't scored and extra bone tiles are. Players can steal either by rolling 3+ red or blue chopsticks. 4+ of either lefts you steal from anywhere in other players stack. Scores were fairly close and it is a decent filler. It is rated 6.51 on the geek and that sounds about right.

Indigo: The is a light filler like abstract. There are three different colored gems. They score based on their rarity. If two gems collide, they are both destroyed. Players are given spots on the edges of the board showing where they want the gems to go in order for them to score. Depending on the players, you might have an area all by yourself to score and/or you might have an area where you share it with another player so you both score. You place one tile on your turn and then draw one, so there is the aspect of being at the mercy of the random draw. A variant does allow for drawing more than one tile, and I might lean on playing that way instead. Tiles are essentially like the tiles in Tsuro.

Outside of the random draw issue, keeping track of scoring can be difficult since captured gems are hidden and the co-op scoring aspect makes it feel like everybody is scoring the same amount. This does actually keep the scoring rather close though. Our game ended with two people tied for first, and I was one behind. Most gems wins the tie breaker. The single blue gem scoring 5 points is huge with the other gems being worth 1 and 3 points. Once I saw the path the blue gem was going to take, I knew it was going to be really difficult to get it into my area. I think during only one turn was it even remotely going my way, but the two other players made sure it didn't stay that way. I can see people saying this is a classic Knizia game where the subtle aspects are what stand out or saying it is a little too random for them. I think as a filler abstract is works rather well.

Lord of the Rings: This is the old co-op. Here's the thing, In the Year of the Dragon is infamously known for how brutal it can be for players to play since 10 of the 12 rounds something bad happens, and players feel like they are just trying to survive more than anything. In that game, at least all of the bad things are laid out for players to see. In Lord of the Rings, bad stuff is more on the random draw side although having to roll the die is almost always bad as where grabbing titles you have a decent shot at getting something good. We were terrible at drawing tiles. I think one player drew four straight even tiles. Still, we made it to the final lower board where the main action takes place as the upper board mostly tracks your journey throughout the game. The lower boards recreate players doing through a specific area. I think we fell about 2/3 of the way towards the final needed spot.

I need more plays of a number of co-ops to really say where it ranks, but I did enjoy it, and I think it is one of the better co-ops I have played. You just have to know going in that the game repeatedly beats you down and early on you feel like things as going easy, but slowly the attrition kicks in, and you find yourself scraping by more and more desperately hoping for a good tile draw and avoiding a die roll where one side is good and 5 are various levels of bad.

"To Hell and back again."

Indeed.

Last edited by Matthean : 06-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #1376
tarcone
Coordinator

Love game night.
I have one planned for Thursday. We are planning a 10:30 am to 7 pm session. Attack! is on the agenda. I just purchased the deluxe enpansion and it is supposed to arrive via mail on Wednesday. Im crossing my fingers.

I figure the game will take 5 hours. There are 5 of us playing and none of us have played it before.

After that maybe a game of Tammany Hall. Then we see how time we have left.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #1377
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I went to one game store and picked up a container like the Pro Deck things for Mage Knight cards, but it was another brand. They didn't have another like the one I had bought, so I hit up another store, and they didn't carry the brand at all. I found them online, and they have them in different colors. With Mage Knight and Defenders of the Realm, I figure I'll eventually get one of each.

When to game day at one of the stores, but it was mostly a Dominion tournament and Heroclix, so I shopped and watched mostly. I did pick up the Pathfinder Beginner's Box for 50% off so I was way pumped about that.

I think I have it figured out what stores I will use for what in terms of games I will play at them based on the type of player that shows up there. After mass research and debate about LCGs, I think I might simply infiltrate the one store with my Summoner Wars.

This week is my regular game night and my friend is coming out Wednesday for an extended weekend of Mage Knight playing and who knows what else. Fortune and Glory maybe if he brings it, but the idea is to OD on Mage Knight.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1378
cschex
High School Varsity

Less than 36 hours less for Euphoria, a really fun worker placement game that I got to play a print and play copy of over the weekend. This is probably the best run board game KS I've seen: the designer is amazingly receptive to everyone and does a great job interacting with the backers. Also, the strech goals are going to make the components amazing
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #1379
rockboy70
Mascot

Agricola is out on iOS.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #1380
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
Agricola is out on iOS.

Very nice! Thanks!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #1381
Autumn
Head Coach

Oh that might be one that's fun to play electronically--no fiddling with lots of boards and pieces, and you can just pick up and play.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #1382
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #1383
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
Agricola is out on iOS.

Played this until midnight last night - paying for it this morning

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #1384
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So got a better run at Descent (2nd Edition) in today, and started the campaign for real. We played the starter quest "First Blood" and the first half of "Fat Goblin". I'm running as the Overlord (basically the Dungeon Master), and I have four friends playing as the adventurers. The team they are running:

Grisban the Thirsty (Fighter)
Leoric of the Book (Mage)
Widow Tarha (Mage)
Ashrian (Healer)

The first battle (First Blood) was a joke, as the heroes won it on turn two. They got an extremely lucky first turn, taking out my basic Ettin and stunning 3 of my 5 Goblin Archers. The berserking dwarf then took Mauler down in one turn to end the quest.

The first encounter of Fat Goblin was much more balanced. My goal was to make off with four bundles of grain, while the heroes were trying to secure the same four bundles into storage before I could get them. I quickly managed to snag one of the bundles of grain, but Ashrian's stun effects halted me in my tracks (literally). Though he managed to lock up my Goblin Archers for a couple of turns, I was able to get off a mind control spell and move him the hell away from my archers so they could start getting out of Dodge with the grain in tow. I got a second bundle of grain out the door and had a third most of the way there when my luck broke. Widow Tarha sprinted over and killed two of my goblins in one turn, stealing the grain in the process. Though I was able to kill Tarha before she could get the grain stored away, the heroes used some great teamwork to daisy chain the bundle (that had been mostly stolen) all the way back to the storehouse. I managed to kill Tarha, Grisban and Ashrian several times, but Leoric finally secured the last two bundles of grain. We'll be firing up the second half of the encounter in our next session.

Overall, I like the game. Positives:
-Although the rules are a little involved, they're not too difficult to understand.
-The heroes really have to use teamwork to get through the challenges, and the Overlord has to use everything in his arsenal to keep the heroes off his back. There were several points during that second quest where one side or the other seemed to be on the verge of a crushing victory. A well played card or a clever move swung the momentum back each time.

The negatives:
-Looooong setup time. There are a ton of little pieces, and finding which map segment goes where can be a pain. Although each map segment is marked, there are quite a few of them in the box, and several of them are very similarly shaped.
-Zero exploration. For a dungeon crawler, the fact that the entire map is visible and that every player has perfect knowledge of the whole situation is a little...off.
-Line of sight is...pretty easy to game. You draw lines from any corner of your square to any corner of their square. As long as you can draw a line that doesn't go through something, you have line of sight. Very rarely will you find that you don't have an option to get to someone with line of sight.

Still need more time before I come up with a definitive opinion on it, but so far so good.

Vince - I'm looking to purchase Decent (2nd edition) with it's expansion. Has it held up for your group to bring it to the table again? How would it play with two players (I'm assuming the Hero player would have 2 or 3 heroes he would control?)

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #1385
tarcone
Coordinator

5 of us got together yesterday and Attack! Deluxe Expansion finally hit the table. I had been wanting to play this game for awhile. I had only purchased Attack! and the expansion. I really wanted the Deluxe expansion and was able to find it at BGG. It came in the mail Wednesday, just in time for game day.
After going over the rules and setting up, we started playing the game around 12:30. It was everyones first game. So we had to reference the rules a lot. We made a couple errors. that we fixed as we played.
We decided to play Total War. This is the 12 round game. You get 3 or 4 actions a round.
Well, we made it to round 5 by about 6 pm. Yes it took us almost 6 hours to play 5 of the 12 rounds.
We had to quit at that point. One guy had to leave.

I really liked this game. I started out playing Risk and A&A and the other big box games of the late 80s (Fortress America, Shogun, Supremacy). So this game was right up my alley. I like the battle dice. I like the neutral minors and how you can capture them through negotiation or battle. And the fact that the neutral minors become more powerful as the game rounds proceed is very nice.
The action cards are cool also. Really adds a lot to the game.
Having only 3 or 4 actions per round makes for some interesting decisions. And I like to get the 4th action you have to burn oil (Oile certificates or an oil marker, expensive). Very good.
The tech tree is a great addition to the game. It makes for some difficult decisions. Sacrificing units for a tech is a good idea.

This is a really fun game. And I cant wait to play again. I imagine it will go faster next time (I hope). Everyone in our group enjoyed it.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #1386
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Vince - I'm looking to purchase Decent (2nd edition) with it's expansion. Has it held up for your group to bring it to the table again? How would it play with two players (I'm assuming the Hero player would have 2 or 3 heroes he would control?)

So we started a campaign with the full 4 heroes, and we really enjoyed it. We played the two already mentioned quests on our first shot, and the second time we got it to the table finished off the second half of the Fat Goblin quest. In it, I (as the Overlord) had to take prisoners - simple cardboard markers turned upside-down - and carry them via goblins to my main 'boss' goblin. Once they're nearby, the boss can interrogate them - if he passes the skill check, I can flip the token over and determine whether or not the prisoner is my target prisoner. Meanwhile, I as the overlord did not get any reinforcements this quest, so anything the heroes killed stayed dead. I had some goblins, spiders and was allowed to choose another monster type from a collection of possibilities. I (of course) chose a dragon. The dragon was actually weak as hell - despite getting off a nice breath attack that hit two of the four heroes, it went down in short order. I was able to use the spiders and a couple of goblins to slow down the heroes just enough, however, and after identifying the correct prisoner on my second attempt I was able to retreat my boss goblin and win the day!

Well, all but one of us enjoyed it. One of the guys playing a hero decided if we were going to play D&D, why don't we just play D&D? Since he's still a major part of our core gaming group and we don't want to exclude him, Descent hasn't gotten to the table again. We simply haven't had time to get around to it - it'll get more play eventually.

As for scalability, the overlord has a set number of creatures from each group that he gets to place that varies based upon the number of heroes opposing him. Since I was facing a full complement of heroes, I got a full complement of spiders and goblins (I want to say 5 each). With fewer heroes, I would only have had a couple spiders and goblins to throw at them.

I've read a little on the campaign, and it seems that later on in the campaign, once the heroes have leveled a bit and gotten some equipment, they begin to be very difficult to defeat for the Overlord. It also sounds like groups of adventurers who are small (1-2 adventurers) struggle a bit to win early on. If each player controlled multiple heroes to keep a full 4 hero complement, it would probably still play quite balanced.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-14-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #1387
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Played a competitive play for the walkthrough of Mage Knight. I won due to lack wound cards. We played a co-op full game and lost the game while scoring 100 points, which likely isn't too bad. We captured two of the three cities, but the last one we knew we had zero chance of beating so we looked for points elsewhere. We learned a ton, but I got further confirmation of just how bad my friend's AP issues are. I even asked why his brother-in-law never plays games although he shows interest, and my friend's AP issues in epic games is the main reason. I think the full game clocked in around 9 hours. Even if it was a learning game for the the full game, we had played the walkthough 2-3 times for him and 4 times for me. We learned a lot in terms of strategies so we'll be better next time. Hopefully he gets better and better at the rules since there are a large number of them so our playtime gets cut down. The walkthrough is nice, but the full play is a lot better.

Official game night offered another play of King of Tokyo, and I continued me streak of wins as I got the final needed 2 VP before the other player went and won due to VP as well. Played another game of Hanabi, which I have as one of my highest rated games but unfortunately play with people who can't play without giving overly suggestive hints. We played Lords of Waterdeep, which I am 1 point away from being tied or first in. This was rather close for score until the secret scoring happened where the one player pulled away from everybody. I got last. I don't know what I would have done differently. I got screwed over my mandatory quest and such, but I overcame all of it and did what I wanted to.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #1388
tarcone
Coordinator

AP is a killer. That was part of the problem in our game of Attack! And the guy with the worst AP wasnt even there playing.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #1389
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Ohhh man - my new addiction Just realized there is a pretty nifty trading database on BGG. Any of you guys use this tool to trade games?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #1390
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This would require me giving up games and right now I hold my games rather dearly. Maybe at some point when I have played through my collection and have 10 or so plays on everything, and I feel the need to finally trim down the collection knowing what ultimately works or doesn't. If I wasn't the lead guy for the game group at my church, I would cut way back. Eventually I'll slim down the collection, but I'm a long ways away.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #1391
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
This would require me giving up games and right now I hold my games rather dearly. Maybe at some point when I have played through my collection and have 10 or so plays on everything, and I feel the need to finally trim down the collection knowing what ultimately works or doesn't. If I wasn't the lead guy for the game group at my church, I would cut way back. Eventually I'll slim down the collection, but I'm a long ways away.

This is me too, minus the "eventually." My mom is a huge pack rat...I managed to be better than she is, but my collections are extremely hard for me to whittle down in any way.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #1392
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Well, like to trim down and actually trimming down are two different things. I think it is a case of knowing for me to get all of my games the proper plays I want I need a certain rotation and even now I have more than I need with some others that I would like to add. I already know my friend and I will play Mage Knight easily for the next 10 years, and I would rather keep games like that versus ones that get played once every 1-3 years.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #1393
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Ohhh man - my new addiction Just realized there is a pretty nifty trading database on BGG. Any of you guys use this tool to trade games?

I've completed 42 trades and sold 100+ games on there through auction. Its a good tool, but increasing shipping costs are hurting the ability to trade unless something fits in a medium flat rate. I frequently looked for local trades when I lived in LA to avoid shipping.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #1394
tarcone
Coordinator

I am waiting to next years Geekway to the West. They do a trade table there. I have several games Im willing to part with.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #1395
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Didn't find a specific tabletop games thread so I'll just toss this in here.

Started thinking about the roller derby sim Roller Rumble (from Plaay Games) last week, started digging through some old files on a recovered hard drive, found most of the notes & stuff from a project I started a number of years ago but never really finished.

A little searching on the Delphi Forums and I discovered just how long it'd been: last played that in 2004 ... but between what I'd posted on Delphi and what I've found, it seems likely that I might be able to resurrect that campaign project from pretty much where I left off.

A pretty cool advantage to the board/tabletop, no worries about DRM or discontinued server support
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #1396
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I have been thinking of trying out Roller Rumble for years. I'm guessing that is your fault, as I'm sure I learned about it here.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #1397
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I trade fairly regularly. In fact I just traded Merchant of Venus, the new ffg version for Keltis and its expansion. The game is harder to find in the US than a typical game, and the expansion even more so. My wife loves Lost Cities, and I hate it. So I'm hoping the twists here make the game more palatable for me.

Oh and as far as my trade goes. I decided that I didn't want to give up MoV, so I bought the game new on Amazon and just shipped it to the guy trading me Keltis.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #1398
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Looking at the images for the expansion to Lords of Waterdeep from Origins and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Last edited by Matthean : 06-18-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #1399
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Looking at the images for the expansion to Lords of Waterdeep from Origins and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I have Lords of Waterdeep (not the expansion obviously) shipping to me today. That with Descent and Legendary should keep me busy for a while. I love this hobby but it isn't cheap!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #1400
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Didn't find a specific tabletop games thread so I'll just toss this in here.

Started thinking about the roller derby sim Roller Rumble (from Plaay Games) last week, started digging through some old files on a recovered hard drive, found most of the notes & stuff from a project I started a number of years ago but never really finished.

A little searching on the Delphi Forums and I discovered just how long it'd been: last played that in 2004 ... but between what I'd posted on Delphi and what I've found, it seems likely that I might be able to resurrect that campaign project from pretty much where I left off.

A pretty cool advantage to the board/tabletop, no worries about DRM or discontinued server support

I've still got my 1993 Strat NBA replay under my bed. I'll finish it one day. Soon.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote