Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #1351
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I'm in 2012....I actually think the game does a great job of simming out games. NOT in supersim, but just the regular old sim this game button. It makes it tougher because you lose games you are supposed to...I probably play out one game a year. I have so much fun recruiting and it's very easy and intuitive...you are definitely right about the WR's as well. I just recruited a 6-7 WR. He's not as good as my other guys but I want to slot him in there just for the jump balls.

Yeah I usually play the big regular season games that I normally schedule early in the season because I like to try to win at all of the toughest place's to play. Recruiting is very fun but it is also kinda of broken because it is impossible to recruit 25 players at once and a work around that I have found is to target 8 players and work them to commit early then add another 8 which gives me 16. The final slots I usually go search the list for guys who aren't being heavily recruited and just fill in those slots the next cycle.

One concern though it seems like my whole team wants to go pro every single season. I lost my entire starting O-Line(4 seniors and a R-Soph) and two backs which really destroyed my team for the next two seasons. I always try to stock pile O-Linemen but always lost 3 to the draft even if they are underclassmen. Its a good thing JUCO's are actually good in this game.

It's a very fun game. Current I just recruited a five star athlete who was rated 86 at WR with 97 and he is a baller.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #1352
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm going to be home all day today, so if anyone is up for a game let me know.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #1353
Logan
Head Coach

Middle of season 1 with Rutgers and I just landed the #1 CB in the nation. Must've been a great visit as I went from 6th on his list to a soft verbal after his visit, and then a hard commit a week later. If I remember correctly, in last year's game, it was nearly impossible to keep a soft verbal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Recruiting is very fun but it is also kinda of broken because it is impossible to recruit 25 players at once and a work around that I have found is to target 8 players and work them to commit early then add another 8 which gives me 16.

I disagree with this. Are you sure you're not spending way too much time on each guy? I can squeeze all 25 into a week, although usually I'll leave a few out each week that aren't top priorities and already have me as their first choice.

Last edited by Logan : 07-28-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #1354
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Yeah I usually play the big regular season games that I normally schedule early in the season because I like to try to win at all of the toughest place's to play. Recruiting is very fun but it is also kinda of broken because it is impossible to recruit 25 players at once and a work around that I have found is to target 8 players and work them to commit early then add another 8 which gives me 16. The final slots I usually go search the list for guys who aren't being heavily recruited and just fill in those slots the next cycle.

One concern though it seems like my whole team wants to go pro every single season. I lost my entire starting O-Line(4 seniors and a R-Soph) and two backs which really destroyed my team for the next two seasons. I always try to stock pile O-Linemen but always lost 3 to the draft even if they are underclassmen. Its a good thing JUCO's are actually good in this game.

It's a very fun game. Current I just recruited a five star athlete who was rated 86 at WR with 97 and he is a baller.

Just won the national championship in 2013. Woohoo!!! It's funny that you say that you like to play in the toughest places to play...I do exactly the same thing. This season I scheduled a game at USC and then Cal back to back. I simmed the USC game and won, then played the Cal game and won.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #1355
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Middle of season 1 with Rutgers and I just landed the #1 CB in the nation. Must've been a great visit as I went from 6th on his list to a soft verbal after his visit, and then a hard commit a week later. If I remember correctly, in last year's game, it was nearly impossible to keep a soft verbal.

I disagree with this. Are you sure you're not spending way too much time on each guy? I can squeeze all 25 into a week, although usually I'll leave a few out each week that aren't top priorities and already have me as their first choice.

I agree with you....I'm doing fine in recruiting. Sometimes I feel like I have *too much* time. I check to see how far ahead I am, and if I'm way ahead of the 2nd choice, I'll spend 10 minutes on him. That leaves me plenty of time for everyone else.

Logan...I'm also playing with RU. Like I said, just won the 'ship in 2013. D.C. Jefferson did great for a year as a Sophmore, but then my redshirted 4 start QB was eligible...I made a tough decision to bench D.C. for the new guy. He proceeded to set all kinds of school records and led us to the win in his JR year. I also had a 5-star RB and a 4-star RB. My biggest problem was rebuilding the o-line after a bunch of the original starters left.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #1356
Logan
Head Coach

Unless I bring in a big recruit, I'm hoping to give DC the job two years down the road.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #1357
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Still lookin for a game here. Any east coasters get off of work yet?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #1358
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Still lookin for a game here. Any east coasters get off of work yet?

I may be able to get revenge in about 10 minutes..Gotta wait for the roommate to get done with her telemarketing.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #1359
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Are you on dialup?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #1360
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are you on dialup?

She uses voip, and swears the data transfering from the xbox makes her phone calls "choppy"...

PROTIP: Never live with someone who works at home.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #1361
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Tell her to get a real job, and to do the dishes.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #1362
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Tell her to get a real job, and to do the dishes.

Maybe he should give her chylmedia! True story ask Karl about it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #1363
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Damn...had to return the game to blockbuster today. Ordered one on Ebay last night so I'll be without access for a few days.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #1364
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Maybe he should give her chylmedia! True story ask Karl about it.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #1365
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Pass Interference dammit!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-28-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #1366
Groundhog
Coordinator

I suck at this game. On AA I'm throwing about 3 ints a game with Midd Tenn State, though it has been against 2 good teams (Maryland and Kentucky).

Most alarming to me is the amount of sacks I'm able to tally. A lot of this has to do with how crap QBs are at running the ball, as my linemen get to them just as they begin to tuck the ball away to run with it. I played Kentucky last night and I sacked the QB 8 times, nearly all of them thanks to Kentucky's playbook which seemed to have an endless amount of delayed running plays by their slow ass QB.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #1367
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Pass Interference dammit!

Revenge is sweet
Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #1368
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Fine fine

Next time I'll choose a team 10 overall points better...bastard. heheh
Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #1369
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I typically like to give every guy at least one hour when i make the initial offer and this usually leaves me without enough minutes for the guys lower on my list. My current strategy has yielded about 5 number one classes and always in the top 10. I guess that was just my opinion, no harm done.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 AM   #1370
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fine fine

Next time I'll choose a team 10 overall points better...bastard. heheh

Yeah, I know the juggernaut that is the Arizona Wildcats can be tough to stop. Next time I'll go with Skyline, Foothill, or San Francisco Community College
Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #1371
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Yeah, I know the juggernaut that is the Arizona Wildcats can be tough to stop. Next time I'll go with Skyline, Foothill, or San Francisco Community College

haha...hey I attended Foothill for 1 semester
Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #1372
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. I am just getting shredded recently. Bigsmooth just beat me 31-0... Good game, man. I am having serious troubles with this game recently. I can't do anything right. No running game, can't stop the run, no passing game. Recipe for losing for sure.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #1373
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Yeah that 2nd game was kind of fluky...I def got some home field love on that early fumble. The first game we played was pretty intense though.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #1374
Anthony
Banned

kodos: you also can't stop teams on 4th and 8th in your territory and freely allow them to score on such downs.

one thing i don't know what i'm doing wrong is when i'm on defense and the other guys throws a loooong bomb that connects with the WR who somehow got past my DB or is at least behind him enough so that the ball just drops into his hands. i don't know how to defend that cuz when i press Y to go for the INT i must time it wrong and jump too early or maybe not jump high enough to block/swat the pass. i can't seem to get any of my WRs to run past the DB. doesn't work for me. even if i can, it winds up being knocked away. that's one trick i don't have in my arsenal.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-30-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #1375
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. Punt defenses aren't great at coverage.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #1376
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
you also can't stop teams on 4th and 8th in your territory and freely allow them to score on such downs.

one thing i don't know what i'm doing wrong is when i'm on defense and the other guys throws a loooong bomb that connects with the WR who somehow got past my DB or is at least behind him enough so that the ball just drops into his hands. i don't know how to defend that cuz when i press Y to go for the INT i must time it wrong and jump too early or maybe not jump high enough to block/swat the pass. i can't seem to get any of my WRs to run past the DB. doesn't work for me. even if i can, it winds up being knocked away. that's one trick i don't have in my arsenal.

In this situation, use the A button instead of Y. The defender will jump to deflect the ball rather than trying to pick it.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #1377
Anthony
Banned

i'll post a highlight next time it happens. some guys i play against here seem to be able to just simply get the jump on me and will loft this high arcing nuclear bomb of a pass and i'm left scratching my head wondering how the WR was able to get behind my DB so easily. the only other thing i try to do is when the WR inevitably catches the ball i try to time the tackle so that the ball gets jarred loose but while that sounds great in theory it doesn't work in the game.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-30-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 AM   #1378
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
i'll post a highlight next time it happens. some guys i play against here seem to be able to just simply get the jump on me and will loft this high arcing nuclear bomb of a pass and i'm left scratching my head wondering how the WR was able to get behind my DB so easily. the only other thing i try to do is when the WR inevitably catches the ball i try to time the tackle so that the ball gets jarred loose but while that sounds great in theory it doesn't work in the game.

Not me,though. I just punked you like the bitch that you are, hahahaha. Don't even act like you want another taste.

Just kidding. I got lucky.

And I'd get even luckier if we played again, bitch. BOOM!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #1379
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For those still considering whether to purchase the game, here's a pretty good video detailing some issues. I believe Peter Moore was quoted yesterday as saying there were "a handful of bugs". I'm guessing he has big hands...........

My Favorite NCAA 09 Videos - Operation Sports Forums
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #1380
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sounds like someone is abusing the rocket catch which is very hard/nearly impossible to defend (low hit stick may be the only real way.) I've seen one person I play on here abuse it as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #1381
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The best way to defend against long passes down the sidelines is...don't play man to man press coverage all game long. I see a lot of people crowd the line every single down, and then they get upset when I'm able to connect on long pass after long pass.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-30-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #1382
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The way I have stopped a few long passes is when my DB was in position ahead of the WR and I just stopped; having the WR run directly into me. I know it isn't exactly legal but it works.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #1383
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This is the nature of college football. Some teams air it out all the time, and if you go into a game against a team that regularly plays 3 or 4 wide spread offense, and your sticking to a 4-3, or even Nickel Strong, you're going to get burned. You have to switch up your play calling to match whatever they are going to throw at you. If somebody likes to air it out, then you're gunna have to predict the downs they are going to go deep and put a safety or two back there to help. Instead of giving up the long ball, you'll be swatting it down or even picking him off.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-30-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #1384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The best way to defend against long passes down the sidelines is...don't play man to man press coverage all game long. I see a lot of people crowd the line every single down, and then they get upset when I'm able to connect on long pass after long pass.

Or it could be because the man to man coverage is one of the broken aspects of AI in this game, as has been mentioned on several message boards and reviews.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #1385
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Eh, I have yet to have someone take me deep more than once or twice in a game. I think people just need to learn how to play defense...not necessarily directing these comments at anybody here btw. I just don't see enough people calling a defense that actually mirrors what the offense is doing. If I had listened to all of the things that are supposedely "broken" in every football game that's come out for Next Gen, then I'd be as delusional as you.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-30-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #1386
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Or it could be because the man to man coverage is one of the broken aspects of AI in this game, as has been mentioned on several message boards and reviews.

You know, actually playing the game gives you an insight into the game that you just can't glean from reading reviews or viewing random isolated plays that you have no knowledge of how the sliders were set up or skill level of those playing.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #1387
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Eh, I have yet to have someone take me deep more than once or twice in a game. I think people just need to learn how to play defense...not necessarily directing these comments at anybody here btw. I just don't see enough people calling a defense that actually mirrors what the offense is doing. If I had listened to all of the things that are supposedely "broken" in every football game that's come out for Next Gen, then I'd be as delusional as you.

You are right. You can't expect corners who are rated 15 pts below a WR to keep up with them in man press down after down. You have to adjust your playcalling to your strengths and weaknesses.

Just like on offense, if your line cant run block, you don't keep trying to run up the middle. You use short passes to supplement the running game.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #1388
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the nature of college football. Some teams air it out all the time, and if you go into a game against a team that regularly plays 3 or 4 wide spread offense, and your sticking to a 4-3, or even Nickel Strong, you're going to get burned. You have to switch up your play calling to match whatever they are going to throw at you. If somebody likes to air it out, then you're gunna have to predict the downs they are going to go deep and put a safety or two back there to help. Instead of giving up the long ball, you'll be swatting it down or even picking him off.

Totally agree with this. I blew up my neighbor playing with Mizzou and then I let him use Mizzou and by calling the right defenses, I held him pretty well with Texas Tech's defense.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #1389
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

So does this mean that I'm suddenly back off of your 'silence' list that I was supposedly on last week? I'm guessing that it's much easier to call me delusional than discuss the inherent problems 'in the game'.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #1390
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You know, actually playing the game gives you an insight into the game that you just can't glean from reading reviews or viewing random isolated plays that you have no knowledge of how the sliders were set up or skill level of those playing.

I received the game over the weekend. Everything that has been posted about the game's significant flaws is spot-on. I was actually surprised at how little time it took me on my own to reproduce or find some of the major problems. It's pretty embarrassing stuff.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #1391
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I received the game over the weekend. Everything that has been posted about the game's significant flaws is spot-on. I was actually surprised at how little time it took me on my own to reproduce or find some of the major problems. It's pretty embarrassing stuff.

Least surprising post ever.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #1392
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

+1
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #1393
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Least surprising post ever.

There's very little to disguise at this point. It's become obvious that the concerns that several of us had before the release have come to fruition. Most people are smart enough to not defend the game at this point. It's been an absolute debacle. Not only are NCAA sales down, but the early indication from retailers is that it's expected to impact Madden pre-orders and sales as well. EA's major sales push in the past was to get the hype up to a level where people wer inclined to pre-order their games before the flaws were exposed. Now that pre-orders sales are down, EA is releasing spin to indicate that pre-sales aren't that big of a deal. When a company that relies on pre-order and first-week sales begins to downplay their importance, you know that something is amiss.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #1394
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

k
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #1395
Kodos
Resident Alien

thx.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #1396
cartman
Death Herald

It is no where near an absolute debacle. Metacritic scores it an 83, based on 13 reviews. By no means is the game perfect, and no one here is arguing that it is. Yes, there are flaws, but most rational people here can agree that they aren't gamekillers.

So call me stupid for defending the game, but I, along with quite a few other people here, are having a blast with the game as is. If a future patch addresses some of the flaws, that would be great, and further increase the enjoyment. But the game is very far from unplayable at the moment, no matter how much you protest to the contrary. If I wanted an unplayable football game, there is a much better candidate out there from Matrix.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #1397
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

You absolutely have to think on defense and mix up your coverages. My head usually hurts after a game versus a good player from trying to call the perfect defensive play, on every down, to contain the offensive team, especially considering the game caters to the big O.
If a guy goes deep a lot (and I've been killed by this online) you pretty much have to play as one of the safeties and double team the WR. Pretty much the only time I will go deep is on play-action, when my WR obviously gets a step on the defender. This, to me, is not taking advantage of AI. Also, cannot depend on your AI cornerback to make a play. It's hard to do but you have to switch to your CB, speed burst, and press A to deflect.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 07-30-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #1398
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think I only enjoy flawed games nowdays.. I mean, I liked NHL 2k8, MLB 2k8, and now NCAA 09.

I hope Madden and Head Coach are perfect so I don't have to spend $90.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #1399
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I still say this is the best console football game I have played. Yes I see flaws, but I still have fun with the game. Hell I started a Campus Legend career and have not even gotten into a normal 'career' game yet. It has been fun.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #1400
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have watched those videos that show the bad pursuit. Is that the case on every play or is it just every once in a while?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote