Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #1351
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Dola, in Paula's defense, I thought Ryan said at the top of the show that the singer were going to perform twice, and the judges would comment after the second performance. Maybe he misspoke.

He did, and that's what the conspiracy theorists are jumping all over. Like Slezak says, either they listen to the rehearsals and shouldn't, or the "opinions" are on cue cards and handed to them. Someone pointed out that it was suspicious last week when no one mentioned Archuleta's screw up. Could be because they've been told what to say, or a general direction to steer him to the finals?

You all know I'm big on conspiracy theories, but this one I don't buy into. I don't think they are controlling it down to what comments the judges make, nor do I think it is inappropriate for the judges to listen to the rehearsals. How many times have we seen Simon complain about the acoustics from where he's sitting or not hear a Ryan comeback during one of their fabricated cat fights?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #1352
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Oh, and is it just me, or is David C's head a little large?

It's large. I believe even David C referred to his noggin as something a super villian might have.

Oh, and if anyone thinks that the judges aren't influenced by the dress rehersals and jot down notes to use was just fooling themselves. I'm sure they come up with the bulk of it and change it depending on what happens live, but there is too much going on from a noise level standpoint to not do this.

There are alot of things AI does to influence voting patterns. From the rotation they sing in to the comments they say. Paula's gaffe wasn't a bombshell, but rather a 'gee.. you're an idiot". The only bombshell I could think of would be if they discarded votes or just flat out ignored the votes and proof come out.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #1353
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
What is the theme next week?

Perry Como's greatest hits?

19th century Victorian music. David C is going to do a mad arrangement with a calliope and a zither.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #1354
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What is the theme next week?

Perry Como's greatest hits?

Weird Al Week.

Who's gonna sing "Amish Paradise"?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #1355
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Weird Al week would be AWESOME!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #1356
MJ4H
Coordinator

Actually Perry Como week would be better. And I would seriously enjoy a Weird Al week.

What's the matter with you people, Perry Como rules.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #1357
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
19th century Victorian music. David C is going to do a mad arrangement with a calliope and a zither.
This is pretty much the funniest thing I've read all year.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #1358
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
This is pretty much the funniest thing I've read all year.

Too much Kathy Griffin and not enough reading, apparently.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #1359
Ksyrup

Theme for next week is supposedly songs that shaped or inspired rock 'n roll. Rumor is that this list of songs is what they will choose from:

http://www.rockhall.com/exhibithighlights/500-songs/
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #1360
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, there are some interesting songs on that list, and I'm just on the first page. Tennessee by Arrested Development? Planet Rock? Loser? The Breaks by Curtis Blow? Can I assign songs? I'd pay money to see David A performing Le Freak by Chic or Brooke performing Give Up the Funk by Parliament.

Last edited by rjolley : 04-30-2008 at 03:04 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #1361
Ksyrup

Knowing AI, they will take that list and whittle it down to 25 songs or something.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #1362
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Well, if Brooke makes it, she really could break out Amos's version of Smells Like Teen Spirit then...

Last edited by Mustang : 04-30-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #1363
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Why call it a conspiracy theory? I have not known one single episode in the history of TV that wasn't directed, scripted, produced or edited to present the best product to its consumers and advertiser.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-30-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #1364
IrishHand
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Why call it a conspiracy theory? I have not known one single episode in the history of TV that wasn't directed, scripted, produced or edited to present the best product to its consumers and advertiser.

qft
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #1365
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Yeah but this show pretends to be based on reality.

I do disagree with that, as long as they keep tallying the voting numbers internally and don't disclose the percentages to the viewing public. Who's to say who got the highest and lowest number of votes?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #1366
Ksyrup

So I missed the fist 20 minutes or so as my DVR decided not to record what I clearly told it to record (and my wife was a witness). Anyway, did they say anything about Paula's flub, try to explain it, come clean, or did they just skip it?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #1367
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So I missed the fist 20 minutes or so as my DVR decided not to record what I clearly told it to record (and my wife was a witness). Anyway, did they say anything about Paula's flub, try to explain it, come clean, or did they just skip it?

They came out with a "We're all behind Paula" statement in respnse to rumors reated to the screw up.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #1368
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

WTF does Castro have to do to get voted off this damn show?!?!? Obviously sucking big time isn't working.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #1369
Ksyrup

Women love him, big time. "You haven't looked into his eyes." That was a comment I got from one lady today at work. Sheesh.

Also, I didn't pay close attention...did they actually say Brooke and Syesha were the bottom 2? I don't think they did, but I'm not sure. According to Dial Idol, Syesha was not only safe, she had the highest score of the week. Once I saw Castro and Archuleta safe, I knew Brooke was going.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #1370
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes ... awkwardly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #1371
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
WTF does Castro have to do to get voted off this damn show?!?!? Obviously sucking big time isn't working.

Dude makes the Terminator and Rasputin look like wimp outs.

I'm starting to believe he could go up there and make fart noises with his hand and armpit and make it through.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #1372
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Women love him, big time. "You haven't looked into his eyes." That was a comment I got from one lady today at work. Sheesh.

Also, I didn't pay close attention...did they actually say Brooke and Syesha were the bottom 2? I don't think they did, but I'm not sure. According to Dial Idol, Syesha was not only safe, she had the highest score of the week. Once I saw Castro and Archuleta safe, I knew Brooke was going.

They never said the bottom 2. They said one of you is safe, and the other one is going home.

My guess? They were trying to protect David Archuleta who had the 2nd lowest number of votes.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #1373
Ksyrup

That's what I thought. Very possible they were saving Archuleta. It was him or Castro, by a wide margin. No way Syesha was bottom 2. I'd be pissed as hell if I was her. She has been absolutely shit on the last few weeks. She's never been great, but she was mediocre until a few weeks ago, and it's like her hitting her stride wasn't in the AI script, and they're doing all they can to not let her be the wild card who screws up the all-David finale.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #1374
Ksyrup

You know what else is possible...Castro was bottom 2, but they didn't want it to appear that Paula's flub cost him votes, so they spared him bottom 2, couldn't put Cook or Archuleta there, and it was Syesha by default. I could buy that.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #1375
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know what else is possible...Castro was bottom 2, but they didn't want it to appear that Paula's flub cost him votes, so they spared him bottom 2, couldn't put Cook or Archuleta there, and it was Syesha by default. I could buy that.

That is the most likely scenario to me. It was clear to me that Syesha was not in the bottom 2 as Ryan was very careful to never say this was the bottom 2.

Also, the Paula support statement was very awkward.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #1376
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

i missed the support statement, did they offer any excuse or anything?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #1377
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
My guess? They were trying to protect David Archuleta who had the 2nd lowest number of votes.

But if a fan favorite falls into the bottom 2 (or 3), doesn't that usually get them more votes the next week as people try to protect him/her? If Archuleta was actually in the bottom two and they sent him to the couch, seems like that would hurt him, not help him...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #1378
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Nothing was better than Castro and his goofy stoner smile behind brooke as she's bawling her eyes out and the other contestants are consoling her. Then you have dreds boy playing pocket pool over her left shoulder trying not to laugh.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #1379
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
i missed the support statement, did they offer any excuse or anything?

Just that it was a live show and they threw an audible at her. Nothing more was explained.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #1380
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
But if a fan favorite falls into the bottom 2 (or 3), doesn't that usually get them more votes the next week as people try to protect him/her? If Archuleta was actually in the bottom two and they sent him to the couch, seems like that would hurt him, not help him...

In this case, I don't think so. I think it would show that his support has fallen off big time.

I think Syesha benefited from Carly leaving, and took a lot of her votes.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #1381
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Nothing was better than Castro and his goofy stoner smile behind brooke as she's bawling her eyes out and the other contestants are consoling her. Then you have dreds boy playing pocket pool over her left shoulder trying not to laugh.
I agree. This guy is like the crazy villain at the 1 hour, 10 minute mark of a two hour movie. Everyone watching knows he is snowing the others and has bad intentions, yet it seems no one in the movie can catch on.

He's a complete buffoon with zero awareness of his surroundings. I think they could have a vote off where they say "Jason, you were in the bottom 2, but you are now safe because a bus ran over two other contestants this afternoon.' I guarantee his response would be "Cooool" with a sh*tkicker grin.

I almost hope he wins so we can find out 2 months later that half his neighbors were hacked into pieces in his basement fridge while he was performing on AI.

Last edited by Arles : 05-01-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #1382
Ksyrup

Carly Simon congratulated Brooke White on her success on Fox and Friends this morning. Brooke was completely surprised and delighted. Carly says that Brooke has a distinctive sound, which is probably what kept her from advancing further. She also tells Brooke that she “loves” the way she did “You’re So Vain”, and that she herself could never do the song as well as Brooke.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #1383
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Carly Simon congratulated Brooke White on her success on Fox and Friends this morning. Brooke was completely surprised and delighted. Carly says that Brooke has a distinctive sound, which is probably what kept her from advancing further. She also tells Brooke that she “loves” the way she did “You’re So Vain”, and that she herself could never do the song as well as Brooke.

After leaving the studio, Carly Simon was arrested for drug possession.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #1384
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

With Archuleta being extremely repetitive and boring in the last several weeks, showing him in the bottom 2 would probably validate what a lot of people are thinking about him (that he's not that great), even while the judges are laying on the praise to manufacture him as a star. At this point they don't want to show any weakness on his part.

And yes, I think that's exactly the opposite of when a favorite gets a boost following a bottom 2 week. Point is that I don't think Archuleta is a favorite anymore.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #1385
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It seems like the past few seasons, we always had a top 3/4 where anyone of those could win. This year, we have a top 1 and then it drops off badly. Can anyone believe that Castro or A would be in the top 4?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #1386
MJ4H
Coordinator

A? Archuleta? Of course. That one was easy.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #1387
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How would Archuleta stack up with previous top 4s (talent-wise, recording artists, not counting the Saysha-type votings)? That makes sense?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #1388
MJ4H
Coordinator

About average. I'd have to see a list to formulate an exact opinion, but that would be my guess based on feel.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #1389
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I bought into the hype of Archuleta being the male Hannah Montana for the first several weeks. Then I realized he is a one trick pony, and robotic as is mentioned earlier in the thread. This guy will disapear FAST after that tour is done. Clay Aiken he ain't.

Let's hope that this was the last week of the specific singers themes. I don't think they could possibly pick a worse bunch of singers for these kids to cover. You wonder why you're not connecting with the singers, and then you realize they probably never heard of any of these songs until the last week, and probably don't even like the songs on top of that. How are they supposed to convince millions of people that they are truly superstars despite this? The producers are setting them up for failure and not success.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #1390
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

The 4's

Kelly Clarkson
Justin Guarini
Nikki McKibbin
Tamyra Gray

Ruben Studdard
Clay Aiken
Kimberley Locke
Joshua Gracin

Fantasia Barrino
Diana DeGarmo
Jasmine Trias
LaToya London
(weakest of the 4's.. easily Idol's worst season IMO)

Carrie Underwood
Bo Bice
Vonzell Solomon
Anthony Fedorov

Taylor Hicks
Katharine McPhee
Elliott Yamin
Chris Daughtry
(post idol, might be the strongest group along with season 2)

Jordin Sparks
Blake Lewis
Melinda Doolittle
LaKisha Jones

Syesha Mercado
David Archuleta
David Cook
Jason Castro

Probably in the middle. I'd rate Clarkson, Gray, Studdard, Aiken, Locke, Gracin, Barrino, Underwood, Bice, McPhee, Yamin, Daughtry, Sparks, Lewis, Doolittle, Cook above him... (maybe not solely on singing, but more of a combination of singing, talent and just who I consider more entertaining...)

Edit : Syesha also after the last few weeks

Last edited by Mustang : 05-01-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #1391
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I actually listened to each of the Top 5 performances in youtube and just couldn't believe the difference in quality. Brooke was ok, Sayesh (whatever her name is) is purely stage quality while Castro and Archuleta were embarassingly poor. I don't get how anyone can think they can sing and perform at a professional level, unlike David Cook who was great (but he needs to work on his appearance).
Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #1392
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks Mustang (and MJ4H), that doesn't say much if Archuleta is considered average.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #1393
MJ4H
Coordinator

You should probably watch more than one of his performances before not getting how someone can have any opinion different than yours when that person has watched all of his performances. At least, that would be my suggestion. Take it or leave it.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #1394
MJ4H
Coordinator

Out of that group I would place David A ahead of:

Nikki, Joshua, Jasmine, Diana, Anthony, Vonzell, Taylor, Blake, Lakisha, Jason Castro, and about even with Syesha (also about even with Elliott Yamin). He was very, very good earlier in the season, but hasn't been very consistent and has had a few flaws exposed since then. He is still very, very good and easily worthy of top 4 or 5 in this season.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-01-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #1395
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Amazingly, I don't consider Castro the worst of that group. That honor goes to Diana DeGarmo for me... ugh..
Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #1396
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Amazingly, I don't consider Castro the worst of that group. That honor goes to Diana DeGarmo for me... ugh..

There are several worse than both of those. Hello? Jasmine Trias?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #1397
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
There are several worse than both of those. Hello? Jasmine Trias?

I can't dispute that either. That whole season was an e'fin train wreck. But, either way, seems we are on the same wavelength.

Last edited by Mustang : 05-01-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #1398
Ksyrup

I don't even remember someone named Vonzell Solomon. I do remember Anthony Federov, though. What a weak top 4 that was, even factoring in Underwood's success.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #1399
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't even remember someone named Vonzell Solomon. I do remember Anthony Federov, though. What a weak top 4 that was, even factoring in Underwood's success.

I always liked Bice, not one of the top vocals in AI's history, but I'd put him towards the top as one of the better entertainers.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #1400
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
You should probably watch more than one of his performances before not getting how someone can have any opinion different than yours when that person has watched all of his performances. At least, that would be my suggestion. Take it or leave it.

I'll probably leave it because from what I have read and heard, his performances this week were not atypical and were considered to be decent. So knowing that this week's performances by him were not exceptional (bad or good), then I would say they would be a good indicator. Jim G said, "I think Archuleta is just preening for the camera at this point, and I have no idea why the judges are so thoroughly behind him." I don't either.