Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #1351
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I think Simon needs to say next week after Sandgina sings:

"I want to be very serious for a moment. Sanjaya, you are without a doubt the worst singer we have ever had at this stage of the competition. It was a colossal mistake on our part yo put you through, and it is destroying the credibility of this show every week you are on. You're a terrible singer and you need to go home. Now."

He'd go home for sure.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #1352
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I think Simon needs to say next week after Sandgina sings:

"I want to be very serious for a moment. Sanjaya, you are without a doubt the worst singer we have ever had at this stage of the competition. It was a colossal mistake on our part yo put you through, and it is destroying the credibility of this show every week you are on. You're a terrible singer and you need to go home. Now."

He'd go home for sure.

I think that would spur on Sanjaya fans and AI haters even more.

Personally, I think they need to come up with some way to trick him into getting into a pissing match with Simon. We need some sort of "YOUR DAMN RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!" moment. Not gonna happen, I know, but I think the show coming out and admitting a mistake would backfire on them terribly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #1353
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well I thought this might be the first chance we've had in a while of getting Sanjaya off the show, but sadly I don't think that will happen. I think Chris will be going, not because of his VT comments, but because of his bickering with Simon over his nasal singing. It's almost never a good thing when you get into a disagreement with Simon. I didn't mind his VT comments really given his connection to the area. I don't think he did it to make himself look good after the judges panned his performance, they just have a short time to comment after the judges critique and felt the need to add his support regardless of his performance.

Phil was certainly the surprise of the night, kept his voice under control and didn't try to shout like he does most songs. I couldn't understand what he said while Simon was commenting about his performance, but it sounded like country was where he wanted to go with his career.

Thought the divas would struggle, was right about two in my opinion. Let this be a warning to future Idol contestants, never ever sing a song from a past Idol contestant. It never sounds as good as the original. Lakisha made a very bad choice that might land her in the Bottom 3 for the first time. But I don't think she's in danger of being eliminated. I thought Jordin really struggled at the beginning of the song. Looked uncomfortable and nervous and sounded "off". She picked it up towards the end of the song, but I would put that as one of her worst nights. Give her credit though for singing a song in front of the person who made it a hit.

Melinda was the surprise because I thought it was going to be a disaster for her when she picked a song not even Martina McBride had heard of. Anyone know where that song came from? She gave it a surprisingly good country performance I thought, but I was distracted by the green tent she was wearing.

Also did not like Blake's performance-he looked completely uncomfortable and I thought he really struggled with the song. It goes without saying I didn't like Sanjaya's performance nor his snotty attitude afterward. Hope that begins to turn the tide against him.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #1354
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Melinda was the surprise because I thought it was going to be a disaster for her when she picked a song not even Martina McBride had heard of. Anyone know where that song came from? She gave it a surprisingly good country performance I thought, but I was distracted by the green tent she was wearing.

I have no idea where that song came from, but then again, until last night I had never seen Martina McBride nor heard one of her songs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #1355
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have no idea where that song came from, but then again, until last night I had never seen Martina McBride nor heard one of her songs.

Even as out of touch with mainstream as you are, if you've heard any country in the last 15 years i'd be surprised if you haven't heard a Martina song...

But, as a country fan, I didn't know the song either - I think it's a very obscure song.. no idea if that was intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #1356
Ksyrup

Well, the only song I can positively link to her is the one performed last night, but you're right, I've likely heard her songs before, I just didn't know it. Still, as little country as I hear (technically, I don't listen to any of it ), it's also possible I've never heard her before. I didn't recognize her song last night, for instance.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-18-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #1357
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Who knows...either way, I'm hoping Chris R. goes home tonight. The "nasal is a vocal style" comment is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard a singer make in my life.

Word. I thought that was one of the most arrogant and snotty comebacks I've ever heard on this show. I haven't really liked him anyway so I might be somewhat biased, but after that I hope to hell he's gone soon.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #1358
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Who knows...either way, I'm hoping Chris R. goes home tonight. The "nasal is a vocal style" comment is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard a singer make in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
Word. I thought that was one of the most arrogant and snotty comebacks I've ever heard on this show. I haven't really liked him anyway so I might be somewhat biased, but after that I hope to hell he's gone soon.
What an idiot....

"I sounded like shit? Well....I was trying to sound like shit. Shitty is a singing style. Didn't you know that? Um....er....peace to Virginia Tech!"

Last edited by Toddzilla : 04-18-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post - now Ksyrup looks loke a dope and not me.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #1359
Ksyrup

Are you agreeing with my comment about Martina McBride, or calling me an idiot?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #1360
Ksyrup

It seemed obvious to me, but apparently enough people, spurred on, no doubt, by the Don Imus thing, are complaining about Simon's eye-roll that he had to release a statement clarifying what was the only common-sense interpretation of what happened:

Simon Cowell has spoken out about the incident on last night's episode of 'American Idol' when Chris Richardson interrupted the judge to offer his condolences to the victims of the Virginia tragedy.

Mr Cowell appeared to roll his eyes at Chris as he extended his "prayers" to those involved in the shooting.

But Cowell told TMZ: "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

Many viewers thought that Simon rolled his eyes because he thought Chris' comments were insincere, coming as they did in between a barrage of heavy criticism.
But the famously rude panellist appears to disagree.

"When I watched the show back, I was horrified" he added.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #1361
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Thank...

God...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #1362
RedKingGold
College Starter

Sanjaya will be washing my car tonight. Welcome to Hollywood.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #1363
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About time.

He is cryng like a little bitch
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #1364
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So all of a sudden he got less votes this week. Uh huh.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-18-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #1365
MJ4H
Coordinator

I can see why that would be hard to believe????????
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #1366
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So he lost, eh? I didn't know or care, but I kept reading about it. Whatever, if William Hung could sell a few albums and go on tour, Sanjaya will surely be infesting someone's airwaves before long.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #1367
Danny
Head Coach

Not hard to believe, I'm sure Haley's voters didn't put their vote into Sanjaya, plus he was even worse than normal.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 AM   #1368
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I would point out to the conspiracy theorists, that Seacrest specifically said he was dividing the groups by those who "received the most votes" and those that "received the least votes," or words pretty much to that effect.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 04-19-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #1369
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
I would point out to the conspiracy theorists, that Seacrest specifically said he was dividing the groups by those who "received the most votes" and those that "received the least votes," or words pretty much to that effect.

You beat me to the punch, I was going to come say it too.

And I'm sorry, but it is VERY logical that Sanjaya would get less votes now.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #1370
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post

Actually, what he said was he was dividing them into the "groups that had the most and least total votes." I was waiting to see how he phrased it, and the minute he said that, I saw the loophole. If the top 2 and bottom 2 had so many and so few votes that you could switch out people in the middle and still say that the top 3 and bottom 3 groups had the most and least total votes...there you go.

Say the voting went like this (the names are really interchangeable, all that matters is that 2-4 of them would have a pretty close number of votes in the middle):

Melinda 12

Jordin 8
Phil 5
Chris R. 5

Blake 5
Lakisha 2
Sanjaya 1

If they broke the 2 sets of 3 into least and most total votes among them, it seems to me that, in this example, Blake, Phil, and Chris R. are interchangeable. They could switch out that third person and still correctly claim that each group had the least and most total votes, collectively. That's what he said.

Too often we've seen the third person in the group be someone no one expected to be in the bottom 3. A couple of weeks ago, it was Chris R.. And each week, that person is immediately saved and then the bottom 2 are left. I still see the possiblity that Blake was put into the bottom 3 for no other reason than to create a bit of discussion (or Chris R. put into the top 4 for the same reason, given the nasally comment and VT thing).

Sorry, I was all over that last night, and it just convinced me even more that something is probably up. Nothing that changes the outcome - Sanjaya is gone! - but something to stir up the audience a bit, to "give them something to talk about," particularly since Sanjaya is gone.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-19-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #1371
Ksyrup

Oh, and I have to say...Fergie is awful. Ugly as hell and can't sing. Is this her attempt at getting into Avril Lavigne territory or something, bringing in an actual "rock" band (oooh I'm cool look at my acoustic guitar with the Dio sticker on it!)? My wife had never seen or heard of her before, and exclaimed, "Oh my God?! Is that Kirstie Alley?!"

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-19-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #1372
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, and I have to say...Fergie is awful. Ugly as hell and can't sing. Is this her attempt at getting into Avril Lavigne territory or something, bringing in an actual "rock" band (oooh I'm cool like at my acoustic guitar with the Dio sticker on it!)? My wife had never seen or heard of her before, and exclaimed, "Oh my God?! Is that Kirstie Alley?!"

ROFL! My wife said the same thing about Fergie.

I also don't think it is hard to believe that Sanjaya was legitimately beat. The vote total has gone up the last few weeks, and it's not hard to believe that it is not Sanjaya picking up most of the "new" votes as well as the votes that went to Haley and other beaten contestants. I'd imagine the vast majority of Haley voters went to one of the other girls.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #1373
Ksyrup

I don't think they fix the vote at all - I've said all along Sanjaya was bound to go by at worst, the week where there were only 5 left. That said, I still think there is reason to believe they screw with who they say is in the top and bottom 3. They're just too vague, and there have been enough strange, 1-time inclusions in each category over th years for me not to believe that theory has some legs.

Plus, it gives me something to do/think about during the vote-off episode, which is usually terrible until the final 10 minutes, anyway.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-19-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #1374
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
ROFL! My wife said the same thing about Fergie.

After that happened, I said, "That's Fergie, she's in the Black Eyed Peas. They did that song My Humps." I acted like I knew what the hell I was talking about. She goes, "Your WHAT?" I said, "Exactly!"

Yes, we're in our mid-30s and getting older every day.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #1375
rkmsuf
Head Coach

that fergie is a no talent hag
Old 04-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #1376
MJ4H
Coordinator

It's not as if there aren't people that monitor fairness in the voting process. And that disclaimer at the end is only in case there was some manipulation of the voting going on through what is termed "power voting." Does that term have some leeway? Maybe, but I'm certain they would have to defend the process to the Standards and Practices committee.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 AM   #1377
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What is the actual prize for winning this thing outside of being "The American Idol"?

Is there like a new car or money or something?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #1378
Danny
Head Coach

You get to sleep with the judge of your choice. Simon Cowell was very relieved when Clay did not win season two.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #1379
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
What is the actual prize for winning this thing outside of being "The American Idol"?

Is there like a new car or money or something?

I think it is a guarantee of a million dollar signing bonus on the record deal.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #1380
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Sorry, I was all over that last night, and it just convinced me even more that something is probably up. Nothing that changes the outcome - Sanjaya is gone! - but something to stir up the audience a bit, to "give them something to talk about," particularly since Sanjaya is gone.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #1381
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

it would be far more interesting had he still been in

I wonder if they top the vote totals again next week.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #1382
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think the voting totals are actually closer than that and with the loophole, they can mix and match however the producers feel that will generate the audience coming back week after week. You knew something had to be up when the media and others started to ramp up the "AI integrity" thing this week. They will do anything to not kill the golden goose. (that and welcome to hollywood, where they made it an art form in doing stuff like this).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #1383
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I think the voting totals are actually closer than that and with the loophole, they can mix and match however the producers feel that will generate the audience coming back week after week. You knew something had to be up when the media and others started to ramp up the "AI integrity" thing this week. They will do anything to not kill the golden goose. (that and welcome to hollywood, where they made it an art form in doing stuff like this).

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #1384
wade moore
lolzcat

FWIW, I encourage the conspiracy theorists to look at DialIdol and see the bottom 3 - they were spot on.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #1385
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
FWIW, I encourage the conspiracy theorists to look at DialIdol and see the bottom 3 - they were spot on.

Well then they are obviously part of the conspiracy
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #1386
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Let me just say that Martina McBride did easily the best "guest live performance" in the history of Idol. Comparing her performance to each of Fergie, Gwen Stefani, J-Lo, Michael Buble (whom I am a big fan of), Akon and Tony Bennett was akin to comparing Kelly Clarkson to Sanjaya.

Let this be a reminder to the American Idol staff to focus a little more on getting in good singers to guest perform in what they like to call a "singing competition".
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #1387
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Though they are not spot on every week...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #1388
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Let me just say that Martina McBride did easily the best "guest live performance" in the history of Idol. Comparing her performance to each of Fergie, Gwen Stefani, J-Lo, Michael Buble (whom I am a big fan of), Akon and Tony Bennett was akin to comparing Kelly Clarkson to Sanjaya.

Let this be a reminder to the American Idol staff to focus a little more on getting in good singers to guest perform in what they like to call a "singing competition".

Totally agreed on Martina and I made the comment last night to my fiance. Now, I've only watched the last two seasons so my sample size is smaller - but she really smacked down all of thsoe lip-synching popstars.

Country rules!

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #1389
Ksyrup

I don't see what's so about them possibly fixing something that has no bearing on the ultimate outcome of that week's vote. I've said it before, but I'll say it again...I'm not saying they sent Sanjaya home when he didn't have the lowest vote count. I believe he did. I also believe Lakisha was in the bottom 3 based on her votes. I have doubts as to whether Blake really was. His inclusion there serves 2 purposes - it provides additional "water cooler" talk to sustain the show through 6 AI-free days, and it potentially energizes the fan base of someone who, by all accounts, most people and the judges think is top 3 material. And the vague way they do their results doesn't give me any comfort that something like that might not - might not - be going on.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and Arles, with that Michael Buble comment...you are dead to me.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #1390
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think it is a guarantee of a million dollar signing bonus on the record deal.

Don't they usually give the top 2 a Ford as well?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #1391
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Let me just say that Martina McBride did easily the best "guest live performance" in the history of Idol.

I completely agree and I'm not a fan of country in general. Simon appeared to be giving an enthusiastic standing ovation which I rarely see.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #1392
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, that rings a bell as well.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #1393
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seems more fitting for the bottom two.

"Hey, sorry you lost. Here's the keys to your new Festiva. Now beat it."
Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #1394
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't see what's so about them possibly fixing something that has no bearing on the ultimate outcome of that week's vote. I've said it before, but I'll say it again...I'm not saying they sent Sanjaya home when he didn't have the lowest vote count. I believe he did. I also believe Lakisha was in the bottom 3 based on her votes. I have doubts as to whether Blake really was. His inclusion there serves 2 purposes - it provides additional "water cooler" talk to sustain the show through 6 AI-free days, and it potentially energizes the fan base of someone who, by all accounts, most people and the judges think is top 3 material. And the vague way they do their results doesn't give me any comfort that something like that might not - might not - be going on.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and Arles, with that Michael Buble comment...you are dead to me.

I just find the grassy knoll talk to be a bit silly. When he addresses it specifically, you find some loophole. What do you need him to say - Blake, you had the 3rd least votes, LaKisha, you have the 2nd least, Sanjaya you have the least? It's just too cumbersone. I just feel you're looking for somethin gout of nothing here. For weeks you've said he says nothing about the bottom 3 being the lowest vote getters. He does, and you find some other loophole. I'd get annoyed if he had to spell that out every week.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #1395
Ksyrup

I found a loophole because I think the way he phrased it was purposeful.

Look, I'm an attorney, and I make my living by reviewing things just like this, to make sure my clients aren't leaving themselves open to unnecessary risk because someone says something in a particular way that can have alternate meanings, yet still say they addressed whatever the issue is. I also do a fair bit of the same kind of "wordsmithing" for my clients. I know how the game is played. And when you have a company that intentionally changes the facts for the "entertainment value of the show" the way this one does (cut-and-paste auditions to appear like they were in front of the judges, or the auditions alleged to have been in Austin that weren't, for instance), then I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt - I'll read into what he says precisely what he isn't saying.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-19-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #1396
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I found a loophole because I think the way he phrased it was purposeful.

Look, I'm an attorney, and I make my living by reviewing things just like this, to make sure my clients aren't leaving themselves open to unnecessary risk because someone says something in a particular way that can have alternate meanings, yet still say they addressed whatever the issue is. I also do a fair bit of the same kind of "wordsmithing" for my clients. I know how the game is played. And when you have a company that intentionally changes the facts for the "entertainment value of the show" the way this one does (cut-and-paste auditions to appear like they were in front of the judges, or the auditions alleged to have been in Austin that weren't, for instance), then I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt - I'll read into what he says precisely what he isn't saying.

So, like i said, you're saying he would have to look at each individual person and say "you were the X placed # of votes"?

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #1397
Ksyrup

No, I think there are a variety of ways he could say it without vaguely saying stuff like - "Here's your bottom 3" at 9:40pm, and then 15 minutes later saying, "After 38 million votes, Sanjaya you're leaving us tonight." Or, as he did last night, referencing the total group vote for the bottom and top 3.

Basically, for as long as I've been paying specific attention to this, he has yet to specifically link the votes to the individuals in the bottom 3. But he doesn't need to specifically announce each person's vote or tell them which number they were to satisfy me. Instead of the usual boasting about the number of votes and segue into the "bottom 3," why not say something like, "Thanks to you, we received an AMAZING 32 million votes last night. And right now, we're going to find out who the bottom 3 vote-getters were, based on YOUR votes."

Last night was as close as he's come to linking the voting process to the bottom or top 3, but as I pointed out, he did it by saying they were the lowest vote-getters as a group. That leaves all sorts of wiggle room, IMO.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-19-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #1398
wade moore
lolzcat

*sigh*...

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #1399
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"Thanks to you, we received an AMAZING 32 million votes last night. And right now, we're going to find out who the bottom 3 vote-getters were, based on YOUR votes."

Don't forget to add in that it was for all the voters both male and female across all timezones in the United States for the full time period that voting was open.

The way you phrase it, it still leaves the potential open that they would only be counting 8:00-8:15 PM CST.

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #1400
Ksyrup

Quote:
*sigh*...

Hey, you asked!