Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #1351
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Rambo - 8/10. The movie was ridiculously violent and over the top. It was like that first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan stretched over the course of an entire movie.

The Body Counts of All Rambo Movies
Spoiler
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #1352
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The Time Machine (2002) - 6/10

Guy Pierce is a weird looking dude, story was ok. Samantha Mumba's tits, even on regular tv, saved this one.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #1353
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Received Four Rooms from Netflix about a week ago. We are planning on watching it tonight. Not sure if I will like it though. My wife picked it out. I like most stuff from Tarantino, but.......(Jackie Brown?)

We ended up watching this movie last night (only 5 days later). It was better than I expected, and the more I see Tim Roth in movies the more I enjoy his acting. He seems to play that neurotic guy to a T. I had never heard of this movie before, hard to believe it came out in 1995. My favorite of the 4 mini-movies was the third one with the kids. Hilarious.

8/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #1354
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The Amityville Horror (the new one) - 3/10

utter drivel

I did like the wood chopping with the kid though. That was entertaining.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-28-2008 at 12:53 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #1355
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
We ended up watching this movie last night (only 5 days later). It was better than I expected, and the more I see Tim Roth in movies the more I enjoy his acting. He seems to play that neurotic guy to a T. I had never heard of this movie before, hard to believe it came out in 1995. My favorite of the 4 mini-movies was the third one with the kids. Hilarious.

8/10.

I've always wondered why Roth isn't bigger than he is.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #1356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've always wondered why Roth isn't bigger than he is.

That's what she said.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #1357
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
That's what she said.

You are talking about the redhead in Pulp Fiction, right? RIGHT?

Quote:
Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #1358
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

There Will Be Blood-8/10

I think I need to see it again, or at least let it soak in for a good while before I score it, but I'm gonna give it an 8 as a knee-jerk. Daniel Day-Lewis is a fucking beast. He more than earned his paycheck. If he doesn't win the Academy Award for best actor, I'll be surprised.

If someone can remind me how to do spoiler tags, I'd he happy to give detailed thoughts on the movie.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #1359
Groundhog
Coordinator

I can't wait till There Will Be Blood is released over here. Daniel Day-Lewis should have won an Academy Award for Gangs of New York.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #1360
Johnny93g
College Starter

After watching Gangs of New York, i started renting and buying everything the man has done. I was dissapointed he didn't win the oscar for gangs, but i dont see anyway DDL doesnt win this year.

Some ratings for Daniel Day Lewis movies:

My Left Foot 7/10

It's not the kind of movie that appeals to the masses, but it is his only oscar winning performance. Christy Brown has cerebal palsey, and the film is about his life. It isn't a flick I can watch often, but it's worth a viewing every other year.

In the Name of the Father 8/10

Great film. DDL was nominated for an oscar playing a Irish hippie falsely accused of a terrorist attack in England. It's long, but thats kinda normal for DDL movies. Pete Posslewhite, a very good character actor, play's Lewis' father, and in my opinion, should have been nominated for an oscar. Not sure if he was. If you like Shawshank Redemption, you'll like this.

The Crucible 5/10

I only watched this because of DDL, and without him, it wouldnt score a 3. Takes place during the Salem witch trials. Winnona Ryder's also stars, but something is missing. I watch this for the ending though. The "It's MY NAME" scene is great.

The Ballad of Jack and Rose 7/10

The movie no one has heard of made after Gangs of NY, and before There Will be Blood. DDL's character raised his daughter alone, pretty much isolated from the world, and now that he's dying, must decide how she will be cared for in the future. Paul Dano, and Catherine Keener are in this, and it's a very well acted movie. It's slow, and it's definatly not a fun movie, but i liked it.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 01-28-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #1361
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No LAst of the Mohicans?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #1362
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No LAst of the Mohicans?

LOL, i figure most people have seen that one
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #1363
Pyser
Pro Rookie

what in the holy hell is wrong with you people? i saw rambo on your reviews, and frankly, you guys owe me $9

that was one of the most boring action movies i ever sat through, just for a bloody final 20 minutes or so

was i supposed to be routing for rambo to end up with the chick? or her to end up with that guy (brother? husband? boyfriend?)

why did rambo even help them? because he finally saw a white woman after 20 years?

i would write more i hated, but im sick of even thinking about this movie. there were zero redeeming qualities, except for a few heads being blown off. but not enough heads being blown off to justify the first god awful hour of setup.

i give it a 2/10....and really i only give it that because there was a trailer for a movie named Midnight Meat Train, and my juvenile mind kept laughing at that for about 5 solid minutes.

(and this is from a guy who likes michael bay movies, so dont say i was going in expecting oscar quality stuff)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #1364
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street - 7/10 - It all boils down to the following questions: Do you like musicals? and Are you not disturbed by ridiculous amounts of blood? Good movie, but dear Lord, that's the most blood I've seen in a movie lately...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #1365
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
what in the holy hell is wrong with you people? i saw rambo on your reviews, and frankly, you guys owe me $9

that was one of the most boring action movies i ever sat through, just for a bloody final 20 minutes or so

What? You didn't enjoy the horrible dialogue? Those moving exchanges between John J. and that woman? Her horrible acting? All that was worth at least $1. I got many a good laugh.

You weren't moved/outraged by the atrocities committed by those evil militia dudes?

In fact, I'd argue that you'd be hard pressed to come up with a group of villians more evil than the Burmese militia John J. mowed down. Almost half of the film's modest running time was dedicated to showing just how evil these people were. That was worth at least $2 just for the pure cinematic historical value of it all.

To see a sampling of what these guys were capable of open the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Quote:
was i supposed to be routing for rambo to end up with the chick? or her to end up with that guy (brother? husband? boyfriend?)

This was "Rambo", not "Terms of Endearment." Who the chick "ended up with" is completely irrelevant. She was there to convince John J. to live for something or die for nothing. That was all.

Quote:
why did rambo even help them? because he finally saw a white woman after 20 years?

The fact that there was a white woman in danger cannot be overlooked. That said, she had convinced John J., after ther terrible moving speech in the dramatic rain storm, to help them. She reminded him of the importance of believe in something and not just shutting out the world, like John J. had been doing since whenever...

There was also, the fact that in the movie John J. has an epiphany of sorts, a personal revelation. He makes the following observation about himself: "Y'know what you are, what you're made of. War is in your blood. When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing." He further states, "You didn't kill for your country... you killed for yourself."

After reaching the conclusion, he finally learns to accept his nature, embrace who he is. Those are the very muddled reasons why he decided to help.

Quote:
i would write more i hated, but im sick of even thinking about this movie. there were zero redeeming qualities, except for a few heads being blown off. but not enough heads being blown off to justify the first god awful hour of setup.

You're losing me here... First, you complain about not enough background or closure on the non-existant romantic angle, then you want more background as to why John J. actually decided to help, but now you're complaining about "an hour of setup" and not enough heads being blown off? You are obviously conflicted here...

How many heads would you want to see blown off exactly? This was pretty much the most violent movie I have ever seen. There were plenty of heads getting blowed off (for any sane person). In addition, there were a plethora entire bodies blowed up, limbs hacked off, limbs shot off, people gutted, people's feet getting ate by pigs, mortars blowing up people, mines blowing up people, people getting ripped apart by .50 caliber machine guns... All of it coated in extra-super gore. I mean, seriously. That carnage was worth at least $3.

The shot described below was alone was worth $1:

Spoiler

As for the god awful setup, it was glorious in it's ridiculousness. The unintentional comedy meter was off the scale.

Quote:
i give it a 2/10....and really i only give it that because there was a trailer for a movie named Midnight Meat Train, and my juvenile mind kept laughing at that for about 5 solid minutes.

I agree wholeheartedly on the "Midnight Meat Train" name. That was worth $.50.

Quote:
(and this is from a guy who likes michael bay movies, so dont say i was going in expecting oscar quality stuff)

Come on, this stuff was better than most Michael Bay crap. In Michael Bay films the drama/dialogue is horrible, but not quite horrible enough to be enjoyable like it was in Rambo. Then there are all the over the top slow motion shots, the quick cuts, the shaky/blury camera...

I think I managed to justify $7.50 of your hard earned dollars back. I think you add all the stuff that group of Blackwater Mercenary types did and the crazy dialogue of their bald headed leader dude and all that was at least worth a good $1.50 to view on the big screen.

So, there you have it, your $9 have been justified!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #1366
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Spoiler
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #1367
rkmsuf
Head Coach

funny part regarding the dialogue is that stallone said this was a long and difficult write to come up with a script. lol.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #1368
Subby
lolzcat

Finally saw Brokeback Mountain last night. Perfect in almost every way - I am pissed at myself for waiting so long to see it. Ledger's performance is one of the finest I think I have ever seen. The cinematography and musical score are both beautiful. The story was completely heartbreaking. 9/10
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #1369
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Brokeback Mountain...perfect in almost every way
SuperGay
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #1370
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The Lookout - 8/10

Interesting heist thriller with pretty well developed leads, especially the Joseph Gordon-Levitt character. He's really come a long way since his TV show days and was also excellent in Brick, another noir-ish thriller.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #1371
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
After watching Gangs of New York, i started renting and buying everything the man has done. I was dissapointed he didn't win the oscar for gangs, but i dont see anyway DDL doesnt win this year.

Some ratings for Daniel Day Lewis movies:

My Left Foot 7/10

It's not the kind of movie that appeals to the masses, but it is his only oscar winning performance. Christy Brown has cerebal palsey, and the film is about his life. It isn't a flick I can watch often, but it's worth a viewing every other year.

I saw this one about a month ago. I had to write a paper about a disability for a class and I chose this movie. Both my wife and I thought it was really good and DDL was awesome as usual.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #1372
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
lots of stuff about a really bad movie...

wow, that was an impressive post, HB. some fun points

i guess the main problem was twofold - one, rarings of 8-9/10 on this board and imbd built it up for me, and two, i didnt find a lot of unintentional humor in the movie

i think it was intentionally bad. it just wasnt that fun for me

believe me, i watch plenty of awful movies on my own time. but usually the key to them is that they arent self aware, for lack of a better term. i felt rambo was. it was playing to its own stereotype too much, instead of trying to make its own good movie

the dialogue was insanely bad. i think what made it that way, though, was there was no pacing to it. there was not even a half second pause between 2 characters talking.

doyouwanttogotoburmathatswarzonewecanmakethingschangenothingchangesyesitdoesokill go

as far as the bad guys, i dont think it was anything anyone hadnt seen before. though i would have liked to see him feed someone their intestines. why not go all out

maybe the main problem was it was billed as nonstop action, and really, that isnt even close to true

this new genre of action flicks popping up - namely crank and shoot em up - THAT is nonstop action. rambo was a whole lot of boring setup, when no one cared why he was fighting. just chop off a head already.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #1373
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
The Lookout - 8/10

Interesting heist thriller with pretty well developed leads, especially the Joseph Gordon-Levitt character. He's really come a long way since his TV show days and was also excellent in Brick, another noir-ish thriller.

I loved The Lookout so I also Netflixed Brick but didn't like it as much. The dialogue really bothered me. I understand the director was paying homage to the pulp style but kids just don't talk that way and it was distracting to me. JGL was good in both, though.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #1374
MikeVic
Head Coach

Charlie Wilson's War - 8.5/10
The first bits of the movie didn't have me interested too much, but after at a certain point pretty early on it was very good. Quite a bit of funny stuff, and it got me interested in this Charlie Wilson person. Can't find much to complain about other than there was a conversation or two that I wasn't sure what was really said, and the beginning parts were kinda alright but not great. The rest of the movie was very good though.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #1375
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sweeney Todd - 9/10
I really liked this movie. I've only seen two musicals: this and Moulin Rouge. I liked both, so something tells me I should be watching them more often. The story in this movie was very good I thought. There's a lot of blood, but it's kind of comical. I cringed the first time but after that it was kind of just there. Good to see Giles from Buffy have one line in the movie too. Quite a few good songs too. I really liked elements of the story, and smiled at a few parts.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #1376
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I admit I have not seen Atonement or Juno. So I could be way off my base. But my impression from those who have seen these and the other Best Picture movies is that There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men and Michael Clayton are slightly "better" movies or stronger Best Picture favorites. So if I am stepping on any "Atonement" or "Juno" toes, out there, I apologize in advance and admit I need to see them both.

Now, to the three I have seen. I enjoyed all three of these movies. And from what I can see, there are a lot of people who think There Will Be Blood is the best movie. Others say No Country for Old Men. Few champion Michael Clayton over one or the other, from what I have seen.

So I wanted to throw my hat in the Michael Clayton ring. Not only do I think it was Best Picture, but I'm not ready to hand DDL the Best Actor award either over Clooney, who was fantastic in the title role.

That said, you want to see something that DDL did with his character in There Will Be Blood that I thought was small in overt noticeability but huge in how it colored his character, watch how DDL "leans". His Plainview was constantly leaning slightly forward with his jaw and huge push broom mustache leading the way, challengingly. He held that posture for much of the movie. Such a small effect, but a profound impression (and one reason I would probably still end up giving the Best Actor to DDL; I'm just suggesting it not be handed to him without some discussion at least).

Michael Clayton gets the nod from me for one simple reason: it delivers at the end. The trip in each of the other two was phenomenal (probably overall better than MC), but the end left something to be desired. Michael Clayton isn't so awe-inspiring on the trip, but it makes you want to stand at the end and say, "Fuck yeah!" Actually, I feel the MC "trip" is underrated because it is understated. I don't think you quite realize how well it is being plotted forward until it ties together at the end.

Just my thoughts.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:04 AM   #1377
korme
Go Reds

Gonna see Michael Clayton in theaters with my brother before the Oscars- we have knocked down 4 of the 5 together, why not make it a perfect 5/5?

My order of probability to win Best Pic:
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Atonement
Juno

My guess is that MC will be somewhere in the middle.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #1378
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Gonna see Michael Clayton in theaters with my brother before the Oscars- we have knocked down 4 of the 5 together, why not make it a perfect 5/5?

My order of probability to win Best Pic:
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Atonement
Juno

My guess is that MC will be somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, this list matches up pretty much exactly how I have them, and I'd put Michael Clayton right above Atonement there. Luckily for once the order I expect them to win and the order I'd like them to win matches up. You don't get that often.

Atonement is the only one I've missed, but from reading I think it has a better chance than Juno.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #1379
korme
Go Reds

Atonement won the Globe so it's got to have a better shot than Juno
Old 02-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #1380
sabotai
General Manager

(I know there was a whole thrwad for this movie, but I figured I wouldn't bump a thread that's been 'dead' for over a week.)

Cloverfield - I really liked this movie. I thought they did a good job keeping the camera shakiness down as much as possible, but then again I'm not bothered by camera shakiness. I especially liked the guy holding the camera, since that's almost how I would have handled it. Trying to make a joke when I could, doing a really horrible job trying to talk to the chick I was interested in, etc. so I really got into it. I thought the actions by the characters and how they handled all of the events that occured was realistic .

The ending was my only real big problem. It seemed to almost fall apart at the end, as if they didn't know how to end the movie. Otherwise, I thought it was great. 9/10
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #1381
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
No Country for Old Men: Not a bad movie or anything, but something just seemed off. The bad guy was crazy and I loved that, plus his weapon was cool. I don't want to go into spoilers, but the movie as a whole actually had be kind of bored in parts and I thought the very last scene was really flat. 7.5/10

I agree with what you said Mike. When the movie was over, a lot of people around us were kind of confused. I heard a lot of, "that's it?" and I left with a sort of empty feeling. Javier Bardem's acting was awesome though, he really creeped me out and that's the only character I liked.. everyone else was sort of blah. I felt the movie was slow with lots of tension building and in the end, I left with tension and no release.

After all the hype, I wanted to like it but it fell flat for me as well.

No Country for old Men - 6.5/10

Last edited by Lorena : 02-03-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #1382
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - I heard nothing about this movie when it originally came out. Since then, everyone who saw it kept raving about it, so Lady H_B and I decided to give it a rental. Definitely glad we did. The movie is hillarious. There is some great dialogue. It's a fun spin on the whole private detective/film noir type film staring Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer. Val, as Gay Perry, a gay private detective/consultant to film stars is hillarious. Easily one of his best roles in a long time. There's great chemister between Downey Jr. and Kilmer. Good action. Lots of fun. No real downside at all. 8/10
Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #1383
korme
Go Reds

I beg people to watch KKBB, H_B... it's easily one of my favorite movies of the past 3 years.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #1384
Schmidty
Coordinator

Stardust - 9.5 / 10

I'm a sucker for fairy tale movies, and really loved this one. I never really thought much about Claire Danes, but she was unbelievably beautiful in this movie.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #1385
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Cloverfield -9/10 Good movie. The movie started off slow, and just took off once the monster hit the city. The ending was a bit... meh. I sat down for the end of the ridiculously long credits, all for one simple message on the audio of the camcorder / radio message. And it was worth it.

Spoiler
Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #1386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I beg people to watch KKBB, H_B... it's easily one of my favorite movies of the past 3 years.

I will be joining your efforts, Shorty.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #1387
Flasch186
Coordinator

3:10 to Yuma

8/10

I thought that it was well done but what really carried this movie was the acting:

Christian Bale - Spectacular in his control yet his allowing us to see the desperation he felt for his situation and family. Extremely well done and one of my favorite actors.

Russell Crowe - Well done. He truly gave a great performance as the strong leader of a bad bad group of guys. He was sensitive and witty but not enough to make it sappy.

Ben Foster - I just love this kid in almost everything he does. Im not sure if his real voice is as creepy as he made it in this and at first it was a bit of a put off but eventually I didnt notice it. He was great as the Grim Reaper type of guy, always lurking in the shadows, always vengeful and spiteful.

The movie was well done

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #1388
korme
Go Reds

Quiz Show (1994) - This has been on my radar since April of 07, finally got to tape it on TCM from SB Sunday. It's a true story about the rigged gameshow "21" on NBC in the 50's which turned into the subsequent absence of quiz shows for a short time afterward. Starring John Turturro, Rob Morrow, Ralph Fiennes and Oscar-winner Paul Scofield, it was pretty compelling and very interesting. Directed by Robert Redford and a cameo by Marty Scorsese. 8/10

Last edited by korme : 02-05-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #1389
Flasch186
Coordinator

No Country for Old Men

7/10

I agree with almost everything said above. Alot of build for a ho hum ending.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #1390
Subby
lolzcat

Juno

Maybe a tad too witty, but enjoyable anyway. Incredibly sweet movie and laugh out loud funny in a number of places. My wife remarked that the film was perfectly cast. and I would tend to agree.

9/10
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1391
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Quiz Show (1994) - 8/10

Quiz Show is one of my favorite movies. I'm glad you enjoyed it. What made you watch it now after it was on your radar for so long?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #1392
korme
Go Reds

It played on TCM on Superbowl Sunday so I DVR'd it- shit luck, as I was looking for former Best Pictures before the Oscars that TCM was advertising, and came upon Quiz Show.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #1393
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Junebug - 9/10

I heard a lot of good things about this 2005 Sundance film favorite so I finally watched it last night. This indie film tells the story of a man who brings his new bride home to meet his offbeat family in North Carolina. It's a comedy-drama and one of the best portrayals of small-town life and families I've ever seen. Amy Adams won critical acclaim for her portrayal of the very pregnant Ashley and was certainly worthy of such praise. The film has its quirks but in its quiet moments you catch glimpses of real characters in real situations, often beyond their control. Highly recommended.

I finally got around to watching Junebug. I think Sami Kapanen's number one fan described it pretty well. Amy Adams was amazing. Her performance was definitely worth all the praise it received and every scene she was in was excellent, in particular, her last scene in the movie. There was also a great scene at church-sponsored dinner that was quite moving. I felt the rest was sort of filler. I was really surprised to find the actress who played Madeleine was the same woman from Army of Darkness. I knew she looked familiar, but would have never put that together. To me, the movie's parts were greater than its whole. I think that mainly had to do with the George character not being all that compelling. 7/10.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #1394
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saw Atonement the other night. Very good movie and deserves to have been nominated for Best Picture.

Still would put it below Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men, but it's close.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #1395
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sunshine - 7/10

If you are the type of person that finds mankind trying to avoid disaster (or dealing with disaster) type movies such as Armageddon, Day After Tomorrow, Core, etc and you can not suspend whatever scientific information you have on if something is plausible then you are going to want to stay away from the movie.

Actually, the movie doesn't deal so much with the mission rather than the people's interactions on the mission when things start to go south.

Spoiler
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #1396
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I finally got around to watching Junebug. Amy Adams was amazing. Her performance was definitely worth all the praise it received and every scene she was in was excellent, in particular, her last scene in the movie. There was also a great scene at church-sponsored dinner that was quite moving. I felt the rest was sort of filler.

I agree that Adams' final scene and the church-sponsored dinner scene were two of the film's best. Roger Ebert also mentions some other scenes which he (and I) thought were especially moving: the scene where Johnny frantically tries to tape the TV special on meerkats for Ashley and the scene where Eugene, the father, tells Madeline how Eugene's wife, Peg, "hides herself." While I agree that Alessandro Nivola wasn't given much to do and didn't really impress me, I think that the film is better because his character remains in the background and we are allowed to see his world revolve around him.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #1397
Jas_lov
College Starter

First of all, I just wanted to say R.I.P. Roy Scheider. I loved him in Jaws and the French Connection.

Now on to the reviews.

3:10 to Yuma

9/10. Great film! Crowe and Bale were excellent as always. Ben Foster, who played Crowe's sidekick Charlie stole the show! He was pure evil and he played it brilliantly. The kid who played Bale's son also did a pretty good job. The problem most have with this movie is the ending, but I loved it! It was actually much better than the original's ending. They did a fantastic job with this remake. I just hope they give High Noon the same justice. I don't think anyone can fill the shoes of Gary Cooper though.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #1398
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
the scene where Johnny frantically tries to tape the TV special on meerkats for Ashley...

That was a great scene. It really made you feel for the guy who, up until that point and pretty much throughout the rest of the movie, was pretty unlikeable. The other scenes you mentioned were also great. Like I said, the movie had a ton of fantastic scenes, but I never felt like the film pulled them all together all that well. The film, as a whole, was just not greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-11-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #1399
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I know it has already been mentioned by other people, but I finally saw Ratatouille this past weekend. It was ok, nothing special though. There are definately other computer animated movies I like more, such as The Incredibles and Shrek. With that being said, this one was ok. I would probably not see it again and I wouldn't buy it, but for anyone who has not seen it, I would say go ahead and check it out.

Ratatouille = 7/10

Quote:
Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #1400
Jas_lov
College Starter

Lucky Number Slevin

8/10. Saw this on Showtime over the weekend. All star cast including Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Lucy Liu, and even Josh Hartnett was ok. Pretty clever film and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 02-11-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote