Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #1351
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
But he saw the painting and listened to Hiro's explanation of being a superhero. While you and I would think that's an insane story and might blow him off as being a nutcase with his "mission", how could a father high up in the organization who knows about people with powers, NOT listen to that and think HMMMM. . . something is going on.

I'm sorry, that doesn't add up to me.

I think it adds up just fine, actually. In fact, I think they even foreshadowed that a bit in the scene with young Hiro. Hiro was just sitting there playing his "gameboy" or whatever, totally unaware of what was going on around him. His father was totally focused on the young girl and Hiro seemed like little more than an afterthought.

Fast forward to "present" day and Hiro, despite his father's hopes for him in the company, is stuck at his crappy desk. He dreams of being someone "special." He is a geek, all about Star Trek, comic books, etc. I am sure his father was used to his geeky son's fantasies, but never paid them any mind. He was so focused on the other's with super-powers that he didn't even notice or suspect his son was anything special, especially considering what a geek he was. I am sure his father dismissed the whole sword thing and trip to New York thing as just another of his son's flights of fancy.

Also, Hiro never manifested his power until the first episode.

I think it adds up very well that his father wouldn't know or even suspect Hiro was anything other than his geeky, bumbling son.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #1352
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought playing a Gameboy was a nice touch. He was actually playing the original Gameboy (made in 1985). They could have had him playing a DS or a generic handheld device... but they gave him an old-school Gameboy to use. I like that detail.

Maybe his dad is suspecting now, after all of Hiro's talking about missions and stuff. Did Hiro actually say he has time-altering powers? I thought he was just saying he has a mission?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #1353
Celeval
Pro Starter

FWIW, there could also be a realization there as well - he did offer to bring Hiro back with with promotion... that could be because he's figured there's something there, and wants to start watching him closely now.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #1354
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
FWIW, there could also be a realization there as well - he did offer to bring Hiro back with with promotion... that could be because he's figured there's something there, and wants to start watching him closely now.

he seems like a pretty influent man. If that was really the case, he would not have accepted to give the position to his daughter so easily...

FM
Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #1355
TroyF
Coordinator

I can see your point, but I just don't buy it. I think dad knows exactly what's going on. I guess we'll see as things progress.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #1356
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I believe that Hiro's dad let him go because Hiro was in Vegas and promised to get his father Tim Hardaway's phone number at the All-Star game.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #1357
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I believe that Hiro's dad let him go because Hiro was in Vegas and promised to get his father Tim Hardaway's phone number at the All-Star game.
lawl
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #1358
Easy Mac

Spoilerific (Show still not over on the East, but if I don't post, I'll forget stuff)

I understand we're suspending our disbelief as to the whole of the show, but what reason is there not to kill Sylar? Is spinal fluid useless if you shoot him in the head? Can you not draw blood? There's no logical reason not to kill Sylar right now.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #1359
Easy Mac

right, to advance the story... i'm glad the writing is such above convention and doesn't stoop to obvious things to advance the plot like Lost.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #1360
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe he is unwilling to kill another person.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #1361
Easy Mac

Which would explain why he tried to shoot him 10 minutes later.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #1362
Easy Mac

dola, the direct link to the extended Spiderman trailer

http://flash.sonypictures.com/video/...p_5000kbps.mov
Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #1363
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah the Sylar-Mohinder thing was way clunky.

But I'm really enjoying Chameleon chick and the Claire/Haitian line.

HRG just keeps getting better and better and I'm even liking HRG wife better.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #1364
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
dola, the direct link to the extended Spiderman trailer

http://flash.sonypictures.com/video/...p_5000kbps.mov

downloading right now and woah, 278mb

my son thanks you in advance

FM
Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #1365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... this show kicks complete ass. Mohinder was enjoying his power. He liked feeling like he was in control. Unfortunately he wasn't. Though it is nice to know that Mohinder wasn't being a complete idiot about traveling with Sylar. Sylar was just far stronger than he thought.

Unfortunately HRG is in BIG trouble as the Illusionist Gal got him trapped. Though VERY interesting to see that there seems to be a competing organization dedicated to helping heroes, especially from the Company. And old doddering Mama Petrelli is one of the higher ups. Just a TOTAL twist. Brilliant!

Now to see what happens to Claire back with her real family. Though in the previews for April, it appears to jump forward to the future a whoooole lot (or maybe that's just the next season), or something Hiro did. You see Nathan in the White House and older Claire there as well.

I wonder what is up with Linderman. Either he's a hero that can see the future or he has one working for him.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #1366
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wow... this show kicks complete ass. Mohinder was enjoying his power. He liked feeling like he was in control. Unfortunately he wasn't. Though it is nice to know that Mohinder wasn't being a complete idiot about traveling with Sylar. Sylar was just far stronger than he thought.

Unfortunately HRG is in BIG trouble as the Illusionist Gal got him trapped. Though VERY interesting to see that there seems to be a competing organization dedicated to helping heroes, especially from the Company. And old doddering Mama Petrelli is one of the higher ups. Just a TOTAL twist. Brilliant!

Now to see what happens to Claire back with her real family. Though in the previews for April, it appears to jump forward to the future a whoooole lot (or maybe that's just the next season), or something Hiro did. You see Nathan in the White House and older Claire there as well.

I wonder what is up with Linderman. Either he's a hero that can see the future or he has one working for him.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that previews bit.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #1367
Easy Mac

i would doubt they filmed next season.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #1368
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It could be like a 'next season preview' type thing. Not saying eps were filmed. Or, like I said, Hiro jumping waaay ahead. But it didn't look like Hiro was in the room, but maybe it was cut that way.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #1369
Izulde
Head Coach

So as a point of clarification, was this the last new episode until.... April?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #1370
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
So as a point of clarification, was this the last new episode until.... April?

It looked like the last episode until April 23rd. That is a long break.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #1371
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post

That's depressing.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #1372
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yep.. but surely a TON of time to get all the theories discussed . I think it may have been because they weren't sure if they'd still have a show by now. So they have to film or edit a bit more perhaps. Who knows?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #1373
Swaggs
Coordinator

***Minor Spoiler About Next Season--Read At Your Own Risk**

To me, this sounds like next season will feature a signficantly different cast of heros, but they will live in the same "universe/timeline" as what we are watching now.

Quote:
Tim Kring reveals: The upcoming second season will constitute a new volume in the multi-volume series, with new characters and an entirely new storyline. "If you remember, the opening of the pilot pronounced the episode as the beginning of Volume One," Kring said in an interview. "Volume One comes to a conclusion at the end of episode 23, and Volume Two starts with the opening of season two. And Volume Two is a different story." Kring added: "We could have new people and new storylines and new ideas and new threats and new bad guys and new heroes. So I would prepare the audience for that idea, that it's not just a continuing serialized storyline about only these people. It's a little more the 24 model than the Lost model." Kring also confirmed that some of the current heroes just might not survive this season, but added: "Many of your favorites will live to fight again." Source: Sci Fi Wire
Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #1374
Swaggs
Coordinator

Also, it will be interesting to see how Peter gets his scar, since he seems to possess Claire's healing powers now. I was thinking it could be this encounter with Sylar, but that is unlikely if he still has the regeneration powers.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #1375
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Swaggs... WOW... that would be a ballsy direction to take the show. I wonder if it'd actually work.

And I think the scar IS from Sylar. Claire's healing power should help Peter heal anything, but perhaps a wound done from a hero's power can't fully heal (this is different than Sprague's radiation poisioning in that the damage is being done directly to Peter).

OR, Peter decides that he wants to keep a scar to remember the battle. Who knows?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #1376
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think his scar is a result of what we saw Sylar start right at the end of this episode. The scar has to stand out since Hiro mentions it. A nice big scar across the forehead would fit.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #1377
Travis
Pro Rookie

Funny you have that quote Swaggs. Had a conversation with a friend of mine today (as we got the show here yesterday), and she was hoping that the season finale wouldn't be as bad of a cliff hanger as the this one was before a bit of a break. I said then, almost reflexively, that I didn't think it would be, that they'd do it like the end of a comic series, with next season maybe having some of the cast back, but focusing elsewhere, at least to start the season and that at most, we might get a short preview of where the next one would be centered just before this season ends.

Gives them a lot more to work with and should provide some nice surprises when characters from this season show up. I'll be watching either way, that's for sure.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #1378
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

With the degree of control Peter has executed up until this point, he should be more than a match for Sylar. I'll be interested to see how they play that showdown when we return.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #1379
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
With the degree of control Peter has executed up until this point, he should be more than a match for Sylar. I'll be interested to see how they play that showdown when we return.

My theory is that, Peter will immediately heal from the head cut and amaze Sylar. Correct me if I am wrong, but if he immediately heals, Sylar can't get to his brain? Anyways, Sylar will either become overwhelmed with greed and lose focus, or Peter will absorb another power from Sylar and use it against him to knock him out. He'll grab Mohinder and fly away.

Also my theory on the two organizations, is that Lindermans group is actually like the Professor X group (as discussed prior in this thread). He is like the old wise man who maybe has a power of his own but he is "pro-mutant". The other group, that HRG is now turning on that he used to work for, studies them, tries to learn how they tick and control them for their benefit. Only flaw with my theory is that why would any hero want to work for that company? Did Sulu give the baby to HRG with hopes that she will remain normal and if she didn't, he wanted her back to control?

What did the Hiro's fathers company do? Did anyone catch that? Not sure if its of any importance, just wanted to know.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 AM   #1380
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Great episode last night. One of the most surprising things happened off-screen when my daughter said, "That's Claire's grandma!" when she opened the door. It didn't occur to me that it was her until my daughter said that.

Random thoughts: I'm glad to see that Mohinder showed some balls this episode, although he got pwned by Sylar. My first thought when they showed Linderman was "That's the bad guy in the crappy Star Trek movie!" Nathan is an interesting character and far more likeable in this episode.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #1381
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

quick question to my american friends here: how weird was it for you when grandma started speaking French?

I know I was so much into the show that it didn't even register with me that it was French she was speaking. I actually had to back up a bit and listen to it again. It also didn't help that she had a pretty strong accent. The haitian was much easier on the ears though.

I also kind of found it odd that they didn't use any subtitles for their conversation. Do the writer assume that enough people speak/understand french as opposed to japanese?

I'm sure it's available somewhere but if you need a translation to what was said, I could do that tonight.

FM
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #1382
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
My theory is that, Peter will immediately heal from the head cut and amaze Sylar.

I do believe that this is how Peter will get his scar, and lose his annoying hair. I'm wondering why Peter showed he was in pain from the cut by Skylar, when the cheerleader (which shared her power with Peter), routinely doesn't show she is in pain when she is injured.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #1383
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I'm sure it's available somewhere but if you need a translation to what was said, I could do that tonight.

FM

Would love a translation.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #1384
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
That's depressing.

Yeah that is a bit depressing. I loved last night's episode. Even though I agree that Mohinder should have been trying to kill Sylar quicker, I didn't see it as a Lost/TV stylization. I saw it as a Super Hero convention where someone usually pontificates for too long before killing their enemy giving them the chance to escape. Regardless, the rest of the show was great and that shapeshifter could become one of my favorite characters very quickly. So far, I'm really enjoying how that actress is portraying her.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #1385
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
I do believe that this is how Peter will get his scar, and lose his annoying hair. I'm wondering why Peter showed he was in pain from the cut by Skylar, when the cheerleader (which shared her power with Peter), routinely doesn't show she is in pain when she is injured.

Even though Peter has showed much better control, I think people are overestimating his control of his powers. I don't think they are all instanteous and I think it is going to take at least a few seconds for that power to kick in. I can't wait to see how that battle resolves itself.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #1386
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

It seems that Peter has to 'activate' the power, as it were, and be thinking of the person (or at least the feelings that person engendered) to do so. That said... under that much pain, I don't know if he can hold the frame of mind to keep the healing going.

That may be why the scar shows up, actually.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #1387
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

Probably because she is used to her power. He still suffers from shock from the injury? As for the shapeshifter, very cool, why does everything around her shake like a mini earthquake before she shifts? Didn't Mohinder want to keep Sylar alive to find out how he ticks.

What happened to the girl who reads/sends emails? I was confused, she met up with Sprague and Parkman and then disappears? I thought the shapeshifter was her. When HRG opened the door, didn't she say something about sending an email or something. She is also smoking hot with that little plaid skirt.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #1388
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
She is also smoking hot with that little plaid skirt.

yes, yes she is.

FM
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #1389
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
It seems that Peter has to 'activate' the power, as it were, and be thinking of the person (or at least the feelings that person engendered) to do so. That said... under that much pain, I don't know if he can hold the frame of mind to keep the healing going.

That may be why the scar shows up, actually.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he will be healing while Sylar is cutting. The cheerleader heals fine because its an injury that happened and she recovers from. I guess its like repeatedly cutting through something that is cauterizing (sp?) repeatedly at the same time causes the scar?

Last edited by gottimd : 03-06-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #1390
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What happened to the girl who reads/sends emails? I was confused, she met up with Sprague and Parkman and then disappears? I thought the shapeshifter was her. When HRG opened the door, didn't she say something about sending an email or something. She is also smoking hot with that little plaid skirt.

I'm wondering what happened to the computer girl as well. Did I miss something?

Yes, the shapeshifter is hot. I think everything shakes around her because she is actually bending light/sound to mimic the appearance/sound of people.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #1391
gi
College Prospect

Quote:

The online comics help flesh out her story.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #1392
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
I also kind of found it odd that they didn't use any subtitles for their conversation. Do the writer assume that enough people speak/understand french as opposed to japanese?

I think that it didn't really matter WHAT was said so much as that she was familiar with the Haitian and was speaking to him.

As for Wireless vs. the Shapeshifter... jeez, all black haired white women aren't the same person . Didn't we go through this with DL and the Haitian before? Different folks. Wireless stepped out of the story for a bit. She'll be back, I'm sure.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #1393
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think that it didn't really matter WHAT was said so much as that she was familiar with the Haitian and was speaking to him.

good point, the French speaking part simply reinforcing that she's known the Haitian for a while too...

FM
Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #1394
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
quick question to my american friends here: how weird was it for you when grandma started speaking French?

I know I was so much into the show that it didn't even register with me that it was French she was speaking. I actually had to back up a bit and listen to it again. It also didn't help that she had a pretty strong accent. The haitian was much easier on the ears though.

FM

It's French. Who cares?

Quote:
Probably because she is used to her power. He still suffers from shock from the injury? As for the shapeshifter, very cool, why does everything around her shake like a mini earthquake before she shifts? Didn't Mohinder want to keep Sylar alive to find out how he ticks.

As someone said above, I believe she is bending light/etc and you are seeing that occur.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #1395
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

woah, just learned that the shapeshifter was born in Montreal...
http://heroeswiki.com/Missy_Peregrym
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1335291/

FM
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #1396
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm thinking Linderman might have Scarlet Witch-type powers? He can alter the reality to his liking. Maybe he did that to get super rich, and can alter the results of the election so Nathan wins.

I was also confused about Wireless. I thought she was going to be at HRG's house when they all busted in... haven't seen her since they met up, and they haven't explained where she went as far as I know.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #1397
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

April 23 is a long, long ways away. . .

Another solid episode. Mohinder continues to be clunjky as ever, but so be it.

It was cool to see Mrs. Petrelli involved in all of this. She always seemed resourceful and strong, if not a bit over-bearing. A nice twist.

I was also glad to see a glimmer of strength in Mrs. Bennet, who I always sort of liked. It will be very ineresting to see what happens to HRG as a result of all of this. I think he only hope are Parkman and the radioactive guy.

The shapeshifter is hawt.

I tought Malcolum McDowell was an inspired choice for Linderman. Yeah, he was the cheesy bad guy from Star Trek generations, but he was also Alex in a "Clockwork Orange" and Caligula in "Caligula." I've always liked him. He can be sufficiently creepy when needs be .

Nathan was as solid as ever. I liked that Hiro pretty much nailed him for what he was.

Now we get to sit and wait for 2 months.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #1398
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Now we get to sit and wait for 2 months.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #1399
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The shapeshifter is hawt.

Maybe. Hey, she's a shapeshifter, she could have just found the hottest girl in her high school, mimicked her, and never changed. For that matter, she could 50+ years old.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #1400
ausonny
High School Varsity

Quote:
Maybe. Hey, she's a shapeshifter, she could have just found the hottest girl in her high school, mimicked her, and never changed. For that matter, she could 50+ years old.

Why stop there? She could be a guy!
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote