Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2023, 06:56 AM   #1351
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The Browns have scored more points than the Chiefs this year.

that's because of Jinxer Swift
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:17 AM   #1352
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

“I am prejudiced against because I’m a rich, white billionaire,” Jim Irsay told Andrea Kremer on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. “If I’m just the average guy down the block, they’re not pulling me in, of course not.”

Asked by Kremer how he thinks it sounds for a white billionaire to claim that he’s a victim of prejudice, Irsay stood by his comment.

“I don’t care what it sounds like. It’s the truth,” Irsay said. “You know, Andrea, I could give a damn what people think how anything sounds or sounds like. The truth is the truth and I know the truth.”
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #1353
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

When will the billionaires of this country finally get their break?

Irsay is making it harder and harder for me to be a Colts fan.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:42 AM   #1354
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Colts waive three-time All-Pro LB Shaquille Leonard

Well shoot, I was really hoping he would stick around for a long time.

This could probably go in the Professional Athletes Do Good Things thread but this is just a paragraph from an article about his release.

Quote:
It was shocking," Leonard said Tuesday evening as he and teammates distributed 200 Thanksgiving turkeys and sides at a church on the west side of Indianapolis. "I asked for a November meeting. I guess I got a November meeting. I guess you've got to be careful what you ask for."

So even after his release, he went to distribute Thanksgiving turkeys. That's a pro.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:03 PM   #1355
Atocep
Coordinator

White billionaires are the only class of people that can't just drink and drive in peace.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:44 PM   #1356
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Do we have a facepalm emoji?
Old 11-22-2023, 05:45 PM   #1357
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Damn, give $10,000 to a grammar teacher.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:49 PM   #1358
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It seems worth mentioning that in his spare time Jim Irsay pays rock stars who should really know better to back him up as he absolutely slaughters the classics. Horrible to listen to, but also probably exactly what I'd do with that money.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #1359
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Damn, give $10,000 to a grammar teacher.

It's not bad considering he was high and driving when he wrote that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:41 PM   #1360
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 11-22-2023, 08:45 PM   #1361
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So who was this "Black Mother Dorthy" he's referring to? Please tell me this isn't some kind of "I can't be racist because my nanny was black" sort of thing.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:16 PM   #1362
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"Black Mother Dorthy" is too good. I saw another tweet where he referenced his Jewish grandparents coming from concentration camps. Dude has played three separate race cards already and seems like he's just getting started.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-22-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:23 PM   #1363
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So who was this "Black Mother Dorthy" he's referring to? Please tell me this isn't some kind of "I can't be racist because my nanny was black" sort of thing.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:35 PM   #1364
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is a glorious meltdown
Old 11-22-2023, 09:39 PM   #1365
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
"Black Mother Dorthy" is too good. I saw another tweet where he referenced his Jewish grandparents coming from concentration camps. Dude has played three separate race cards already and seems like he's just getting started.

and still not playing with a full deck.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:56 PM   #1366
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've wondered if the NFL should invest more in developmental leagues. Maybe just taking over the USFL or XFL for instance. Maybe starting NFL Europe back up. Maybe buying into the CFL.

But it does seem like a minor league system of some sort would help many positions get reps. QB play is about as bad as I can ever remember. Tackling has been piss poor. It's just not great football. It would be beneficial for fringe NFL guys and those young 3rd string QBs to get some actual gameplay with NFL style systems.

The college game was a great minor league system for awhile, but I think the game has diverged too much between the two and players are just not ready out of college. The coaching in college is also incredibly bad from a football development standpoint. Even the top passers are coming into the league having played in rudimentary systems.

The G-League is a good example of the benefits. NBA benches used to be so bad 15-20 years ago. Just 35+ year old guys who could barely move and would be a mess if they came in. Now benches are mostly filled with guys who can play and contribute. There's even been a few stars who developed from it.

I don't see the need for a minor league system. If teams want to develop talent, they will develop talent in the NFL. Whether it is drafting an offensive lineman and having him be a rotation guy until he is ready to take over for a starter, a WR runs only go routes and returns kicks until he gets better running the other routes, or telling a corner to follow one guy all over the field, smart teams put players in positions so they can be successful while at the same time developing them into more complete players.

Of course, when it comes to QB's it is a bit more difficult but not that much IMO. Remember how bad Josh Allen was his first couple of seasons? Remember how in his rookie season after consecutive games where he completed less than 60% of his passes and less than 200 yards passing combined, the Bills put a healthy Allen on the inactive list to learn from watching Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley and Nathan Freakin Peterman?! Six years later and by following the same process we always talk about, Josh Allen is arguably a top five QB in the league. Like I said before, I am not sure what classifies as an NFL system nowadays. I feel we are always hearing about NFL coaches going to talk with college coaches about how they do things in college. I am not saying that there are not "NFL systems", I just don't know what it is that makes them so much different from college. If I am taking anything from baseball, it would not be a minor leagues, I would prefer having a QB coach that is similar to what a pitching coach is in baseball. Not a guy who is moving from QB coach to OC to HC. I am talking about a guy like Mel Stottlemyre, Leo Mazzone or Mike Maddux today to work specifically with the QB's on everything related to the QB's

I read this article earlier in the season and it seems more and more relevant as the season goes along.

NFL starting QBs haven’t been this young in 60 years. Here’s what it could mean - The Athletic

15 of the 2023 Week 1 starters have under 5 years experience. 24 of the 32 NFL Week 1 starters have less than 9 years experience. In 2017, there were 10 Week 1 starters with less than 5 years experience, 18 with less than 9 and 14 Week 1 starters had 9 or more years experience With the the average age for starting quarterbacks being the youngest in an opening week since 1957 you would think we would have some stability among the people who are leading and teaching these young guys right?

Among the 15 QB's with under 5 years experience in 2023, three are with their second coaching staff and six others are with at least their second OC. Bryce Young and Desmond Ridder seem destined to have a new OC or a whole new staff next year. Why would a team manage its most important position in such an unstable manner? For comparison,Tom Brady had one HC and one OC his first 5 years in the league. Drew Brees had the same HC/OC combo 4 of the 5 years in San Diego and one HC and 2 OCs in the 15 he was with the Saints. Phillip Rivers had one HC/OC combo for his first three years including his first year as a starter and then a different combo for the next five. Since I brought him up earlier, Josh Allen had one HC/OC combo his first four years in the league. I feel like that matters for something.

Side note from the article: We really did lose a generation of QBs from 2006-2016

Quote:
Of the 29 quarterbacks drafted in the first round from 2006 through 2016, only Stafford, Tannehill and Goff remain as starters. The 29 are listed below, with current starters in bold type. The class of 2006 would be in its 18th season now, an unrealistic expectation until recently.

2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler
2007: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2008: Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009: Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman
2010: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
2011: Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
2012: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Tannehill, Brandon Weeden
2013: E.J. Manuel
2014: Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater
2015: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota
2016: Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch

There is no real argument that in no particular order Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck are the clear top five among this group. Who is #6 right now? Tannehill? Cutler?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-22-2023, 10:36 PM   #1367
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I wonder where the "Bloodsaw" surname came from. Is there any relation to the Bonesaw character in Spiderman?
Old 11-22-2023, 10:57 PM   #1368
cuervo72
Head Coach

Jim Irsay was born a poor Black child...
Old 11-23-2023, 07:38 AM   #1369
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As I wake up in Dallas this morning with my mom and dad, lucky my dad is still alive, the one thing I'm most grateful for is that I wasn't born a white billionaire.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #1370
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't remember him getting into any trouble, overall good guy. Wish him the best.

Drew Brees: ‘My right arm does not work,’ says retired NFL quarterback | CNN
Quote:
Brees then added: “But look, I’ll let you in on a little fact: I don’t throw with my right arm anymore. My right arm does not work. So when I throw in the back yard right now, I throw left-handed.

“I can play pickleball just because it’s below the waist, but anything above my shoulders I’ve got a hard time with.”

Brees went on to say that this is “definitely” a result of a dislocated right shoulder he suffered while with the San Diego Chargers, where he began his NFL career in 2001. At the time, after the 2005 season, he thought he might never play again.

“That kind of put me on the fast-track to a degenerative shoulder and all kind of arthritic changes,” Brees said.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:43 AM   #1371
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This Lions defense looks a little worse every week
Old 11-23-2023, 12:14 PM   #1372
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 11-23-2023, 12:42 PM   #1373
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That was NOT a fumble!
Old 11-23-2023, 01:14 PM   #1374
bhlloy
Coordinator

Going all out with the stage for Jack Harlow. Good thing the local middle school didn’t start practicing their Penguin themed Christmas show yet.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #1375
Ksyrup

That was a predictable fake punt. So bad.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-23-2023, 02:23 PM   #1376
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The Lions aggressive playcalling and gadgetry was always going to blow up in their face at some point & the soft defense isn't much of a surprise at this point, but the o-line collapse is a headscratcher,
Old 11-23-2023, 06:35 PM   #1377
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, congrats to DaRon Bland on the new record. (5th pick 6 of the season)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:27 AM   #1378
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Commanders cleans out a bunch of coaches after disappointing results, and the Falcons fans sit and dream of having an administration that has balls.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #1379
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The Commanders cleans out a bunch of coaches after disappointing results, and the Falcons fans sit and dream of having an administration that has balls.

Maybe if they didn't have such a stupid name, they'd win games
Old 11-24-2023, 02:16 PM   #1380
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One of the easiest things to get right that NFL coaches seem incapable of getting right is understanding the value of a challenge. Even if you are correct, saving 5 yards on second down in a tie game early in the first quarter is not worth one of your two challenges. And it does not seem that hard to understand that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #1381
Ksyrup

Surprised that I can watch the Prime game on the plane. It's on Fox but my daughter tells me it's only on Prime at home. Is this some special deal for airlines?
Old 11-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #1382
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
One of the easiest things to get right that NFL coaches seem incapable of getting right is understanding the value of a challenge. Even if you are correct, saving 5 yards on second down in a tie game early in the first quarter is not worth one of your two challenges. And it does not seem that hard to understand that.

I am inclined to agree with any other time but I just watched Iowa vs. Nebraska and I am currently watching the Jets offense. Anything that saves any of those offenses 5 yards is worth it.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:28 PM   #1383
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oh my
Old 11-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #1384
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

“If there’s ever a play that embodies an entire season, that is it for the New York Jets.”
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:11 PM   #1385
miami_fan
Coordinator

Let's get that continuous clock going.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:30 PM   #1386
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ugh, losing Phillips would be terrible for the Dolphins.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #1387
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
“If there’s ever a play that embodies an entire season, that is it for the New York Jets.”

The Jets and extremely stupid plays on Thanksgiving week. Some things never change.

(Patsies still have them beat on Fail Mary with their throw back intercepted in field for a TD on the final play)
Old 11-24-2023, 08:34 PM   #1388
miami_fan
Coordinator

Would Aaron Rodgers allow the Jets to fire Nathaniel Hackett or take away playcalling duties from him? Didn't they hire Hackett to use him as bait to get Rodgers?
Old 11-24-2023, 09:38 PM   #1389
bronconick
College Starter

Rodgers should tell them to fix the damn line and not worry about Hackett. He probably extended his career by blowing out his Achilles.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:56 AM   #1390
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
He probably extended his career by blowing out his Achilles.

I think you're right. Everybody was so excited about him being on the Jets. The league scheduled them for 45 prime time games. But he was bad last year. Worst season of his career by far. Players don't get better through their 40's.

And he has to be the GM and bring all of his crappy WRs with him

Last edited by molson : 11-25-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 12:06 PM   #1391
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Rodgers should tell them to fix the damn line and not worry about Hackett. He probably extended his career by blowing out his Achilles.

That's assuming he doesn't follow through on his threat to try to play again mid December.
Old 11-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #1392
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I wanna hear people's hot takes for winners tomorrow
Old 11-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #1393
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
No real hot takes, particularly given all the close spreads. The second largest spread is the Patriots getting 4 points on the road, which is ridiculous. I think the Giants should probably be favoured in that game. From there, apart from Chief-Raiders (KC -9), I could really talk myself in to any game going either way.

This is why I don't gamble.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 11-25-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #1394
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I have liked the giants' play lately...and the chiefs have been inconsistent this year.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:38 AM   #1395
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Bengals by 14
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:58 PM   #1396
molson
General Manager

I desperately want the Giants/Patriots game to end in a 0-0 tie.
Old 11-26-2023, 12:59 PM   #1397
Ksyrup

The Red Zone guy just had to explain that the reason they haven't shown any of the Pats/Giants game is because there's been 7 punts and 2 turnovers between the teams. Basically, this is the red zone channel and ain't no one sniffed the red zone yet.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:09 PM   #1398
molson
General Manager

Phew, that was a close one - the Patriots got in field goal range, but, I shouldn't have fretted, Mac threw it right to the Giants.

Last edited by molson : 11-26-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:10 PM   #1399
GrantDawg

I hate the Saints helmets.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:30 PM   #1400
GrantDawg

Another good drive, moving the ball well, then Ridder throws a pick in the end-zone where the only one in the vicinity is a Saints player. He just can't help himself.