Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #1351
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
I'm not saying its not realistic - yeah in an hour or half hour block you can probably only sit down and call 3 GMs and talk about trades or call 3 agents about signing their players...and if coaching the virtual Detroit Lions was my real job that would be fine but I despise the fact that I had to play 9 real hours of game play to get to one preseason game.

My gripe is that they made things realistic that are tedious and then abandonded reality in the things that would have been fun. 30 seconds to make a trade during someone else's pick in the draft? Why not give me 5-15 minutes there to work the phones and make trades and why can I only try to make like three trades during the draft? Do real NFL GMs contact fewer than three other teams the entire draft day? To me the day to day stuff is just a tedious click fest - that's great that you can only add two plays to the playbook in a half hour - but doing it that way means hundreds of more clicks to get in and out of that screen over and over again.

Like I said earlier, the idea is great and the execution was terrible. I think the only reason people are not up in arms about this is because of the idea of a 3D football management sim is such a sexy one that some people are willing to overlook the design flaws because they want it so bad. You tell me though, if you played Total College Basketball and I made you only able to call 3 recruits per session in the day and took away the automatic weekly call list, made you click on every individual player to learn anything about him as opposed to giving you the ability to view stats and ratings for the entire team at a glance and subjected you to pointless meetings with the AD where he tells you for the third week in a row that you need to recruit a power forward or with your coaching staff flip flopping on the same two players every week would you find those things acceptable or would you be ripping it as a tedious click fest? I'm not ripping on anyone who likes it - if you're satisfied with Head Coach then good for you - I liked the idea and wanted it very much to be that perfect version of what some of us always hoped Front Page Sports would evolve into and to me it was just designed so poorly that its often times more frustrating than fun.

Fair points. I think I need to break down and pick this up to get a 1st hand experience before I make anymore arguments on this subject .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #1352
Hurst2112
College Starter

need some help...

what is the settings download that was posted?

is there a fix (patch) that anybody has created for the quarter lengths yet?

Gonna dig into it tonight and want to start where everybody else is at.

thanks.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #1353
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
to me it was just designed so poorly that its often times more frustrating than fun.
I find this to be a very true statement. Initially, I found the game to be very tedious work (in some facets I still do; after the novelty of practices has worn off, I wish I could just sim through them; unfortunately I can't since I won't be able to increase the players' abilities or work on plays).

Anyhow, after getting used to what I need to do as well as knowing my way around the UI, I found that the poor design is much like a paper cut. Extremely annoying at first, but you get used to it after a while.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #1354
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
need some help...

what is the settings download that was posted?

is there a fix (patch) that anybody has created for the quarter lengths yet?

Gonna dig into it tonight and want to start where everybody else is at.

thanks.

Lazy today? Just go one page back and look for a post from Cwilloughby that addresses the qtr lengths and other issues.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #1355
Hurst2112
College Starter

yeah, i AM!!!!!!

I had some clever comeback but touche. I deserved to be called out.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:29 PM   #1356
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
didn't check to see if anybody posted this.

I just went to Best Buy this morning and paid, with tax...31.64.

Not bad, not bad.

I did. Good price. regular price is 39.99
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #1357
Hurst2112
College Starter

I was so close to buying it last night online.

Talked to a kid at the register about the game. Plugged FOF to him as well. He seemed interested in sports sims. Anything for the sake of 1 more geek!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #1358
SegRat
High School Varsity

I am finally getting some play time with this game. I really like it so far. Very happy the girlfriend is back at home.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #1359
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Spending time with the wife today, but I look forward to trying out the new version tomorrow, Cwill. Thanks again for your continued work on this
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #1360
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
yeah, i AM!!!!!!

I had some clever comeback but touche. I deserved to be called out.

Yeah, I was just giving you crap anyways.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #1361
Hurst2112
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Yeah, I was just giving you crap anyways.

well deserved my man. I would have called out a lesser form as well. haha
Old 06-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #1362
RedKingGold
College Starter

Does the poor design surprise anyone who knows that Joe Stallings name was attached to the project?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #1363
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Wow

Saw this on maddennation forum.

Bad news on sims stats.

Quote:
While browsing the EA Forums. I came across a post of

---------------
Simmed the season. Willis McGahee had 3500 yards on over 800 carries
Posted:Jun 26, 2006 3:11 AM

(what can I say, I like hitting the playoffs and taking over from there. Season is LONG)

Oh, and Lamont Jordan had 2295 (not unheard of) on 737 carries (IS unheard of)

Not alot of replies yet to it but a follow up was one person saying Kevin Jones had 1500yds by week 8.

If this is true, I don't know what to say, they never fixed or even REALIZED the sim engine fatigue bug that was in Madden 2006
Old 06-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #1364
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Wow

Saw this on maddennation forum.

Bad news on sims stats.

yeah I saw that too and was a little concerned - so I checked my league leaders and in week 2 there are a dozen RB's averaging 40 carries a game!
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #1365
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ding. once again Gary wins!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #1366
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
yeah I saw that too and was a little concerned - so I checked my league leaders and in week 2 there are a dozen RB's averaging 40 carries a game!
Perhaps another slider tweak is in order?

Then again, didn't we all enter into this know that stats like this were going to be a problem? I think it was unrealistic to expect FOF-like reliable and consistency. If they are accurate, it's just a bonus.

Personally, I never expected anything more out of this than a role-playing game, but YMMV.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #1367
Super Ugly
High School JV

Dang, every time I go to buy this game, another thing like this comes along and tells me to put the credit card away.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #1368
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Perhaps another slider tweak is in order?

Then again, didn't we all enter into this know that stats like this were going to be a problem? I think it was unrealistic to expect FOF-like reliable and consistency. If they are accurate, it's just a bonus.

Personally, I never expected anything more out of this than a role-playing game, but YMMV.

Sliders tweaks has no affect on sim stats.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #1369
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Sliders tweaks has no affect on sim stats.
/agree
Old 06-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #1370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No real difference than multiplayer FOF though.

Last edited by stevew : 06-26-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: meant to add the smiley....I guess I'm the only one who sees the 500carry MP RB's?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #1371
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
No real difference than multiplayer FOF though.

What are you talking about?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #1372
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

I don't think anyone expected FOF-like stats but its too much to expect them to be in the same zip code let alone ballpark as realistic NFL stats? This wasn't supposed to be Madden for the non joystick jockey crowd.

If you don't mind, what do you expect the point of the role playing game to be? If you enjoy the game as what it is that's cool - I'm just curious as to why the free pass when something so basic to the game (stats) are apparently horrendous? As a developer I'm curious about this - my upcoming game, Total Pro Golf, is a role-playing type game - will it be ok if people are winning tournaments with scores of -40 or something?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #1373
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Looks like the backup players not getting in much.

That why the sims stats are way off again like in Madden 2006.

[quote]
I am simming a few seasons now to see how things are.

I just simmed the season I was in. Stopped on 01/01/07.
I will post the pics, its easier. You tell me.

1. http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/2884/wtf3ua.jpg
2. http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7973/wtf22bp.jpg
3. http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/5858/wtf30zz.jpg
4. http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/7986/wtf46eh.jpg
5. http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5518/wtf50av.jpg

Going through some other teams.

Redskin:
Portis 493att 1750yds
Cooley 74att 218yds
Betts 17att 37yds
Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #1374
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That's awful.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #1375
jbmagic
Pro Starter

New utility you have to mark gamelogs and to get gamelogs save you have to do this.

Quote:
It looks like you have to create a directory under your My Documents/NFL Head Coach directory called "Stats", and then another sub-directory under Stats called "Career0" (or whatever career number you are on)...

I did that, and the next game I had a txt log file....

I also notice there a Fatigue and Injuries box you can mark and unmark too on the utility. I am not sure how that will affect games you play out.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #1376
cwilloughby
Mascot

Quote:
New utility you have to mark gamelogs and to get gamelogs save you have to do this.

I also notice there a Fatigue and Injuries box you can mark and unmark too on the utility. I am not sure how that will affect games you play out.

You shouldn't have to create the folders, the game should create them automatically.

Also, I added those other checkboxes because I found the data fields. They are untested, but should work fine.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #1377
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963
Is anyone else having a problem with being able to cancel the instructions to the QB? This may somehow be related to my crazy computer.

I have had an injury -- they are hard to see and I just happened to notice Fred Thomas writhing on the ground. Then I saw a small drop down menu, in the same spot as the place you click to hike the ball. It listed Fred Thomas' name and then said he had a rib injury for 7P. I took that to mean 7 periods, but maybe it's 7 days probable or something because he was right back in the game.
The 7p means 7 plays. Found that out in my last game.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #1378
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, good work on the utility cwill!! If we can change the skill level to all pro, I think we'll be in business. Definitly makes no sense why EA didn't allow any of these settings to be changed from within the game.

Considering simmed stats were ok in Madden maybe cwill has something up his sleeve to fix that as well - maybe a sub in/sub out setting somewhere?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #1379
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Go Redskin!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #1380
Raiders Army
Coordinator

cwilloughby is the man.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #1381
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Well, good work on the utility cwill!! If we can change the skill level to all pro, I think we'll be in business. Definitly makes no sense why EA didn't allow any of these settings to be changed from within the game.

Considering simmed stats were ok in Madden maybe cwill has something up his sleeve to fix that as well - maybe a sub in/sub out setting somewhere?

The sim stats for Madden 2006 was not ok because of the lack of fatigue bug for sim games.

As you can see above example I posted, the same fatigue bug is in EA Head Coach too. That why the backups not playing much on sim games and its making the sims stats not realistic.

I agree if Cwill can do something to affect the sim stats that will be awesome.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #1382
cwilloughby
Mascot

It's that time of the night again, where I post a new version of this bad boy.

Here is the latest and greatest (0.3).

Changes:
-Added the difficulty drop-down.
-Added tooltips to the sliders for determining the value.
-Removed the Injuries checkbox.
-Removed the Fatigue checkbox.

The biggest change in this version is the addition of the difficulty drop-down. I already had it linked up in a prior build, but had yet to test it. Was able to test it tonight, and it worked like a charm, the change was reflected in the logs.

As always, this is an ALPHA 3rd party application so back-up your stuff!

Also, any and all feedback/suggestions/requests are welcome here. This application belongs to the community.

Now I'm off to actually get some actual time in with the game for the first time.

BTW, should I create new posts when I release a new version of this to keep people informed?

Enjoy!
Chris W.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #1383
jbmagic
Pro Starter

New Utility out

Quote:

Changes:

The biggest change in this version is the addition of the difficulty drop-down. I already had it linked up in a prior build, but had yet to test it. Was able to test it tonight, and it worked like a charm, the change was reflected in the logs.

Also, any and all feedback/suggestions/requests are welcome here. This application belongs to the community.

Now I'm off to actually get some actual time in with the game for the first time.

Enjoy!
Chris W.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #1384
cwilloughby
Mascot

LOL!

A side note is that I removed the fatigue and injury sliders because they were not working.

As for the simmed stats, that may be beyond my control, but I am certainly up for the challenge. I can put this at the top of my list for this weekend .
Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #1385
jbmagic
Pro Starter

cwill thanks for the great utility

You too quick for me. lol
Old 06-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #1386
cwilloughby
Mascot

:P

Rest assured that I will always double-post the change logs. Although my post count may not reflect it, the FOFC is like a second home to me. I would never leave you guys in the dark.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #1387
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

He beat you jb.

cwill.. any plans on seeing whether there is a way to change the difficulty level? Getting it to play on All Pro would be great!

Thanks again!!

Oh, and keeping it in this thread is fine.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #1388
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Classic jbmagic...
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #1389
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilloughby

Changes:

BTW, should I create new posts when I release a new version of this to keep people informed?

Enjoy!
Chris W.

Please keep us informed with new posts. Thanks again for continuing to improve this utility.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #1390
cwilloughby
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
He beat you jb.

cwill.. any plans on seeing whether there is a way to change the difficulty level? Getting it to play on All Pro would be great!

Thanks again!!

Oh, and keeping it in this thread is fine.

Umm.... see change log above.

It's in there buddy!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #1391
muns
Pro Starter

Thanks Cwill, much apperciated, and keep up that great work
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #1392
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Umm.... see change log above.

It's in there buddy!

Quote:
Changes:

You are THE man!!

Thanks!!!!! It's been a LONG 12 hour Six Flags day with the kids.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #1393
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I get a runtime error when I load an existing career.

It didnt do that in version .1 or .2 version.

Do we have to start over to use version .3?

thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #1394
cwilloughby
Mascot

You shouldn't get that.

Can you email me your career at cwilloughby - gmail - com?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #1395
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
You shouldn't get that.

Can you email me your career at cwilloughby - gmail - com?

Thanks!

ok thanks

Sending now

Also others at football-freak forum is getting same error
Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #1396
cwilloughby
Mascot

NM JB, for whatever reason a bug crept in just before release. Give me a few minutes and I'll post a new version.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 PM   #1397
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
NM JB, for whatever reason a bug crept in just before release. Give me a few minutes and I'll post a new version.

Ok thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #1398
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
my upcoming game, Total Pro Golf, is a role-playing type game - will it be ok if people are winning tournaments with scores of -40 or something?

NO - I want a "realistic" golf game with my normal scores in the 100's!
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #1399
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
New Utility out
You're like Carvelli's sidekick from Welcome Back Kotter.

"The man said, a new utility is out!"

Last edited by heybrad : 06-26-2006 at 10:53 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #1400
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
NO - I want a "realistic" golf game with my normal scores in the 100's!

No, that will be in Maximum Golf.