Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #1351
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It will be interesting to see what happens tonight during Boston/Pitt. I have a feeling nothing major will happen. Someone fights Matt Cooke and that's the end of it. Too much attention and build up already.

Speaking of "happenings" that hit on Seabrook by Wizneiwski was something else. Wizneiwski takes a run from 40 feet away, leaves his feet, lifts his arms up to hit Seabrook in the head against the board and appears to knock him out. Hopefully, Seabrook will be fine, you just never know with concussions.

Corey Perry's hit on Sopel for the game winning goal was more entertaining than dirty.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #1352
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Bettman and Campbell will be at the game in Boston so nothing will happen.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #1353
Logan
Head Coach

I know it's true, but I always find it funny when it gets mentioned that players will be on their best behavior because of the people in attendance. It's like it's the 17th century and there's no other means for word to spread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #1354
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens tonight during Boston/Pitt. I have a feeling nothing major will happen. Someone fights Matt Cooke and that's the end of it. Too much attention and build up already.

Speaking of "happenings" that hit on Seabrook by Wizneiwski was something else. Wizneiwski takes a run from 40 feet away, leaves his feet, lifts his arms up to hit Seabrook in the head against the board and appears to knock him out. Hopefully, Seabrook will be fine, you just never know with concussions.

Corey Perry's hit on Sopel for the game winning goal was more entertaining than dirty.

I can't justify the hit by Wiz. Very dirty and he should get at least three games. How the hell that is a 2 minute penalty... unreal.

Sopel took a pathetic dive and while usually the refs would even the penalties up, I'm glad they didn't and it cost the Hawks the game. Maybe next time he'll play the game the right way.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #1355
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I will just go ahead and state that the length of time a player is injured for should have little or no bearing on how long the offender is suspended. If someone smashes his stick over my head and I miss 1 game or 100 games, he should basically get the same suspension (give or take a small margin). I don't remember ever telling criminals that they have to be in jail until the person they harmed is healed, so why should a hockey player?
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I also like the idea that was floated around by Edzo that if you have a player suspended by a headshot his roster spot should not be filled so you have to play a man short. So instead of getting someone called up, you screw your team over for a few games by doing something stupid.
I completely agree.

Now how about you two become Devils fans?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #1356
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If a hit is obviously illegal why don't we just get Arnie to throw the offender out of the building?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #1357
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I can't justify the hit by Wiz. Very dirty and he should get at least three games. How the hell that is a 2 minute penalty... unreal.

It's 8 games for Wiz.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #1358
Galaxy
Coordinator

Man...The NHL needs to fix this problem. The Tampa-Sabres game is rather interesting.

Get rid of the fuckin' Instigator penalty. ALLOW the players to stand up for their teammates.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #1359
bhlloy
Coordinator

I figure Wiz gets 4 games for the hit and 4 games for the Matt Cooke hit. Sounds about right in Bettman's world. And while I'm not in a million years trying to condone what he did and he's an idiot... it's very interesting that if the refs call the Seabrook hit to the head on Perry like they should, none of this happens.

I see Thornton got a 10 minute misconduct after fighting Cooke. Did he go nuts or something? Or was it just the obligatory 10 minute misconduct for daring to lay a hand on somebody in the presence of tv cameras and the glorious commissioner?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #1360
bbor
Pro Starter

Go Leafs!

Eh Pumpy?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #1361
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, what bbor said...GO LEAFS!!!
johnnyshaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #1362
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

help
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #1363
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
help

???
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #1364
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

These are pretty funny

From Edmonton and Toronto, comparisons of water usage from Feb 27 and Feb 28 (gold medal game) at the same times of day.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #1365
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Red Wings tied the Oilers with .2 seconds left in the game. I feel bad for the Oil at this point. I hope they get Hall to make up for this year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #1366
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Edmonton wins the shootout but we got a huge point so I am not mad at all. Talk about stealing a point.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #1367
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Edmonton wins the shootout but we got a huge point so I am not mad at all. Talk about stealing a point.

While getting the point is nice, Edmonton had lost 5 straight going into last night's game, their starting goalie had never won an NHL game, was something like 0-8 going into last night with a GAA over 4.00, and the Wings were coming off 3 days rest.

Their start to the game was inexcusable. There is no reason the Wings shouldn't have won that game.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #1368
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
And the Oilers have beat the Wings all 3 times they have faced off this season.

Detriot maybe the only team that hasn't had a win over the Oilers this season. (at least for teams that have played 2 or more games against us)
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #1369
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Zetterberg just scored in OT with 0.3 seconds left.

Back to back nights .. get the fuck out.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #1370
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Zetterberg just scored in OT with 0.3 seconds left.

Back to back nights .. get the fuck out.

Seems to be a recurring theme today. Carolina beat the Pens today when recently-called-up rookie Jamie McBain hammered a shot past MAF from beyond the dots with 0.9 on the clock in OT.

Arrgh. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Carolina's back to six down, but now only have 11 games to make that up. Based on tiebreakers, they actually leaped past three teams with today's win and are now 11th which is the highest they've been in the standings since sometime in October before the 14 game losing streak did them in.

They're also now getting past the really brutal part of the schedule (two games against Pittsburgh and Washington and a game against Phoenix in the last two weeks) as they have to play tomorrow at home against Buffalo, but then they get a run of games with Tampa and Atlanta over the next bit mixed with a final meeting with Washington. Still, the margin to stay in the chase is pretty much nil at this point. The Canes probably need to finish 9-2-0 (86 points) to even merit a chance depending on other teams continuing to fall down around them.

I'm so torn. I dearly love the fact that they've played their hearts out over the past two months, but I'm increasingly sure this is now going to be a heroic effort to finish 9th, which would be the worst of worlds because we don't get into the playoffs while robbing ourselves of a high draft pick at the same time.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #1371
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Seems to be a recurring theme today. Carolina beat the Pens today when recently-called-up rookie Jamie McBain hammered a shot past MAF from beyond the dots with 0.9 on the clock in OT.

Arrgh. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Carolina's back to six down, but now only have 11 games to make that up. Based on tiebreakers, they actually leaped past three teams with today's win and are now 11th which is the highest they've been in the standings since sometime in October before the 14 game losing streak did them in.

They're also now getting past the really brutal part of the schedule (two games against Pittsburgh and Washington and a game against Phoenix in the last two weeks) as they have to play tomorrow at home against Buffalo, but then they get a run of games with Tampa and Atlanta over the next bit mixed with a final meeting with Washington. Still, the margin to stay in the chase is pretty much nil at this point. The Canes probably need to finish 9-2-0 (86 points) to even merit a chance depending on other teams continuing to fall down around them.

I'm so torn. I dearly love the fact that they've played their hearts out over the past two months, but I'm increasingly sure this is now going to be a heroic effort to finish 9th, which would be the worst of worlds because we don't get into the playoffs while robbing ourselves of a high draft pick at the same time.

I was at the game...the number of people standing in the building already, ready to run to the bathroom during the 2 min commercial break before OT, was comical.

On the post game, Crosby said the shot hit his glove, causing it to dip...but that is probably just Crosby trying to get his name involved.

I think Carolina and Atlanta are playing some of the best hockey of that cluster at the bottom, but I think the hole is just too deep. Plus, without Ward, would they stand any chance vs the Caps round 1?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #1372
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I was at the game...the number of people standing in the building already, ready to run to the bathroom during the 2 min commercial break before OT, was comical.

On the post game, Crosby said the shot hit his glove, causing it to dip...but that is probably just Crosby trying to get his name involved.
When I looked at replays of McBain's shot, I think it actually might have been tipped by a Carolina player on the way in (I think Bryan Rodney). From what I've seen, he did manage to at least wave his stick at the puck as it came past him and it seems like the direction changes slightly afterward. He certainly seemed to react briefly like he clipped it a bit, but maybe he wasn't sure, either, because he didn't continue to act like it and instead joined in the celebration around McBain.

Quote:
I think Carolina and Atlanta are playing some of the best hockey of that cluster at the bottom, but I think the hole is just too deep. Plus, without Ward, would they stand any chance vs the Caps round 1?

I don't know. We didn't have Ward for the past two meetings each with Washington and Pittsburgh and we won 3 of four from both teams and the other was an OT loss to the Caps, thus the continued discussion of Carolina as a faint playoff contender. The playoffs are a whole other critter, though, especially as I think Washington and Pittsburgh would probably "care" more, if you will.

Regardless, it's moot if Boston (or Atlanta, or the Rangers, etc) continue to find ways to win as Boston did today. While we can certainly influence Atlanta's chances in the next week with a back-to-back set, we don't play the Rangers again and we only have one more with Boston in our last game of the season when things may be moot. We took matters out of our own hands a long time ago. I still want to believe, though. (And after that disastrous suckfest by NC State in the NIT against UAB, it's all I've got left to root for before the long summer break--well, there's the Bobcats, but my level of caring about them is miniscule compared to the Hurricanes.)

Last edited by Wolfpack : 03-21-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #1373
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Philly literally has no goaltender now...I mean we say that every season, but it's true now.

So, that gives Carolina a little more hope for the teams ahead of them.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #1374
bhlloy
Coordinator

Selanne gets goal #600 at home vs the Avs. Ducks are now playing great with (almost) nothing on the line... if only they hadn't choked the two games after the Olympics away
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #1375
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sharks are in playoff form.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #1376
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Okay, I think it's over now. Bad, bad 5-3 loss to Buffalo that wasn't as close as the score indicated. First game that Peters has looked out-and-out horrible since he got called up (got yanked for an injured Manny Legace, to put it in some perspective) and probably the worst time to do it with Boston winning today, which means the deficit is eight with ten to go and I think there isn't a 9-1 stretch left in this team to merit any hope to make it now. (I said that after they bombed out against Boston last week, but I mean it this time...I think.)

Meanwhile, Atlanta's apparent attempt at crashing their playoff hopes into the ground has failed as they've rallied for four wins in a row after losing the previous six, completing a back-to-back sweep of Philadelphia and somehow find themselves a point behind Boston for the last spot.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #1377
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Sharks are in playoff form.

They aren't this bad in the playoffs. Maybe if they enter the playoffs as a 4 or a 5 they will actually have some motivation once they get there.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #1378
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Philly literally has no goaltender now...I mean we say that every season, but it's true now.

Honestly, the goalie is the least of Philly's problems. The team is unmotivated and lacks any sense of urgency. They are going to be an easy out for some team in the first round...if they make it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #1379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Meanwhile, Atlanta's apparent attempt at crashing their playoff hopes into the ground has failed

Never underestimate the power of Don Waddell.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #1380
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
The team is unmotivated and lacks any sense of urgency. They are going to be an easy out for some team in the first round...if they make it.

Take out the part about the goaltender and these sentences describe the Boston Bruins perfectly.

I can't wait for the Bruins to get rid of Dennis Wideman this offseason.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #1381
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Honestly, the goalie is the least of Philly's problems. The team is unmotivated and lacks any sense of urgency. They are going to be an easy out for some team in the first round...if they make it.

Now...No Carter!

Broken foot, out 3-4 weeks.

Flyers are doing it all wrong, you don't trade your 1st round pick and then tank. Take a lesson from your friends on the other side of the state.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #1382
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

I was one of the people who was ready to hand Ryan Miller the Vezina and some Hart votes a few weeks ago. Now...is Ilya Bryzgalov the guy, on the FIRST PLACE Phoenix Coyotes? FIRST FUCKING PLACE. Unreal.

And, NHL Network free preview all this week thru Saturday.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #1383
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Crosby doesn't like Zetterberg.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #1384
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Off The Record : March 18

Claude Lemeuix and Darren McCarty sit down together and discuss all things related to their feud. It's three videos so once the first ends the next automatically loads.

Crazy seeing them all buddy buddy.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #1385
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Never underestimate the power of Don Waddell.

That's true. I guess I should have clarified and said "this time around" or something like that.

Seriously, do hope the Thrashers get in if we don't. Gotta have another "non-traditional" market team to get behind (besides, apparently, the Yotes, Kings, and maybe the Sharks) when the playoffs roll around. I suppose I could lend support to the Caps, but that'd have to be a last resort against someone like Pittsburgh or Detroit or something and only because Carolina traded Scott Walker and Joe Corvo to Washington. It'd be nice for them to get a ring, especially Walker.

Oh, and it'd also have the added bonus of having Waddell likely keep his job, which would keep Atlanta from ascending much higher in the Southeast than they already are.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #1386
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Take out the part about the goaltender and these sentences describe the Boston Bruins perfectly.

I can't wait for the Bruins to get rid of Dennis Wideman this offseason.

IMO Dream offseason would be to get rid of Wideman, Ryder, and Timmy. Timmy, to a lesser extent, but that contract is not going to look pretty sitting behind Rask the next few years. Not sure if you can get him to waive his NTC anyways, but Chiarelli better try.

Would love to retain Seidenberg as well...he's made me completely forget about Morris, a guy I thought I'd love coming into the season.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #1387
MikeVic
Head Coach

Curious to see what Flyers fans thought of yesterday's game. The highlights made it seem like they were robbed.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #1388
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I couldn't really tell if it was a goal or not. The one angle looked as if it was in, I thought i saw white but I couldn't be 100% certain. So I understand why it was called a no goal.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #1389
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
These are pretty funny

From Edmonton and Toronto, comparisons of water usage from Feb 27 and Feb 28 (gold medal game) at the same times of day.

I missed this earlier, but the movie "Flushed Away" is built around this whole premise, although it's England in the World Cup.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #1390
Galaxy
Coordinator

Went to the Habs-Sabres game last night (club seats no less). The first 57 minutes and the Sabres sucked. Sloppy, selfish, and no energy at all from Buffalo. Then in the last two minutes, they scored 2 goals to make it 2-2 and won it in the shootout.

If Buffalo can beat Ottawa on Friday, it should pretty much lock up the division title.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-25-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #1391
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a note about how bad the viewership for the NHL on Versus actually is.

A story today mentions how Monday's Penguins-Wings matchup set a new all-time high for audience for NHL on Versus with a 0.7 HH rating and 622,000 total viewers. That's the most watched regular season game on any cable network since 2004.

By comparison, this week's episode of TNA Impact had 1.2 million viewers.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #1392
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

PPG reporting Pens - Caps as 2011 Winter Classic at Heinz Field

Sort of torn. This just opens up more criticism for the tin-foil wearing crew that believe the Pens get anything they want. And would be nice to see different teams have an opportunity before repeating teams.

But, there are also a limited number of places that you can realistically play the game, and this is the NHL's showcase rivalry in the US anyway.

Plus, as a season ticket holder...I am biased

Winter Classic likely at Heinz Field
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #1393
bronconick
College Starter

It's NBC Sports. They go by the old 1783 map that shows that the US ends at the Mississippi river.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #1394
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It's NBC Sports. They go by the old 1783 map that shows that the US ends at the Mississippi river.

I'm definitely going to have to steal that line. Consider this your copyright notice

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #1395
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you NJ Devils for being the fat chick the Flyers used as a slump buster! I am now rooting for the Devils to win out and get the 2nd seeds and the Flyers get the #7 seed
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #1396
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Thank you NJ Devils for being the fat chick the Flyers used as a slump buster! I am now rooting for the Devils to win out and get the 2nd seeds and the Flyers get the #7 seed
Why do you say things that you know will hurt me?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #1397
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wasn't calling you fat Pumpy!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #1398
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just a note about how bad the viewership for the NHL on Versus actually is.

A story today mentions how Monday's Penguins-Wings matchup set a new all-time high for audience for NHL on Versus with a 0.7 HH rating and 622,000 total viewers. That's the most watched regular season game on any cable network since 2004.

By comparison, this week's episode of TNA Impact had 1.2 million viewers.

I love VS. The announcer kept calling Tim Kennedy "Tyler Kennedy" until he realized it in the 3rd period in tonight's game.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #1399
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You have to excuse the announcers, they are so use to having the Pens shoved down their throats by Gary Bettman that they sometimes think they are calling their games when they actually aren't since TYLER Kennedy plays for the Pittsburgh Bettmans...errr Penguins.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #1400
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You have to excuse the announcers, they are so use to having the Pens shoved down their throats by Gary Bettman that they sometimes think they are calling their games when they actually aren't since TYLER Kennedy plays for the Pittsburgh Bettmans...errr Penguins.

It is a tough face to forget

In other news, Gary Bettman and the NHL handed the Penguins $14M to pay Kris Letang over the next 4 years, I am guessing under the table so it doesn't count again the cap, cause that is how the Pens get treated.