Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #1351
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Hopefully you castigate Shaun for the same thing. After all, Puresim's dropped in price too. Damn them. Damn them all.

Oh, btw, I hope you don't get hit by any of the sarcasm flying around in my post.

oh no, according to the thread over at ootp, there's no relation. I'm about done with OOTP.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #1352
SunDevil
College Prospect

Also Puresim was released earlier. By 2 weeks.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news.asp?nid=310
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #1353
DanGarion
Coordinator

Yes damn those companies and their sales! I say they should raise the price! Raise the price to hell!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #1354
dervack
College Prospect

My bet will be that they discount the game either 10% again, or 20%. Nothing like the 50% of Puresim. That being said, if Matrix doesn't do that with Puresim, does SI do it with OOTP?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #1355
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Yes damn those companies and their sales! I say they should raise the price! Raise the price to hell!
Nothing like missing the point, huh?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #1356
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Nothing like missing the point, huh?
The point is I don't complain that when I bought Coke last week it was 3.00 for a 12 pack, but yesterday the store had it for $3.77 on a 24 pack. I've been a big supporter of Coke and the store for many years, I deserve to be taken care of.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-30-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #1357
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Marc Duffy update:

Quote:
hold on guys, I'm talking about a 10% discount here not 50% which is generally what a game might do if sales are flagging / end of line.

Those of you who pre-ordered some time ago will have either got a discount of 20% or 10%. Those who waited till TRTR got no discount.

A discount was always planned for this period, it makes sense and I'm sure we'll do one around September time too.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #1358
jbmagic
Pro Starter

dola

Was that taking a shot at Puresim by Marc?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #1359
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
The point is I don't complain that when I bought Coke last week it was 3.00 for a 12 pack, but yesterday the store had it for $3.77 on a 24 pack. I've been a big supporter of Coke and the store for many years, I deserve to be taken care of.

I think you should swear off drinking Coke forever. That'll teach 'em.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #1360
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
dola

Was that taking a shot at Puresim by Marc?
Well since Shaun said it himself that sales were not meeting his expectations I don't think that's really a jab at him.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #1361
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I think you should swear off drinking Coke forever. That'll teach 'em.
Actually the Coke isn't for me, I might drink 2-3 a week and even that is more then I had the past 8 months. They are for the fiancee. I gotta take care of my girl.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #1362
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Well since Shaun said it himself that sales were not meeting his expectations I don't think that's really a jab at him.
It's one thing for Shaun to say it, it's another for his competitor to say it. I say it's a jab. Perhaps not an incorrect jab, but a jab none-the-less. I've always admired the sharp elbows, personally, though.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #1363
Marc Duffy
SI Games

It was not a jab at anyone, I was reacting to a thread that seemingly had people putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #1364
heybrad
Norm!!!

jbmagic update on a Marc Duffy update:
Quote:
Marc Duffy update:
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:58 PM   #1365
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
jbmagic update on a Marc Duffy update:
Hey Brad!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #1366
Marc Duffy
SI Games

I dont think jbmagic likes me
Old 06-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #1367
SunDevil
College Prospect

Fritz
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #1368
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy

Please stop causing problems.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #1369
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
I thought he was a parrot on your shoulder.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #1370
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it....
Old 06-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #1371
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

I like you. I respect what you done for SI.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #1372
heybrad
Norm!!!

jbmagic update:
Quote:
I like you. I respect what you done for SI.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #1373
jbmagic
Pro Starter

heybrad update

Please stop causing problems
Old 06-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #1374
MJ4H
Coordinator

just awesome
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #1375
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
heybrad update

Please stop causing problems
Don't take it so seriously. Laugh. It's healthy.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #1376
heybrad
Norm!!!

And Dola...

That should have been an EaglesFan27 update.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #1377
CraigSca
Pro Starter

One of these days I'm going to use the "please stop causing problems" line, but I'm afraid to catch jbmagic's wrath.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #1378
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

I'm sorry, strap me down and give me 40 lashings.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #1379
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm sorry, strap me down and give me 40 lashings.

Brits are kinky?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #1380
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Brits are kinky?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #1381
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak
I'm still shocked at how many features from previous versions of the game were left out. They really should have killed the OOTP name, and gave this SI edition a whole different name. Doesn't look like any of them are coming back with this build.

Feature creep at this point is counterproductive.

I'd love to have the features back, but I want the game to work right before we start adding more things. That was one of the problems in OOTP's past, was exuberance leading to new features when older stuff still didn't quite work right.

Let's fix OOTP 2006, then we can move from a stable, working base to a game that incorporates the missing features we're all looking for.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #1382
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack

I'd love to have the features back, but I want the game to work right before we start adding more things. That was one of the problems in OOTP's past, was exuberance leading to new features when older stuff still didn't quite work right.

Let's fix OOTP 2006, then we can move from a stable, working base to a game that incorporates the missing features we're all looking for.

Hey, it works for EA.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #1383
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Let's fix OOTP 4.5, then we can move from a stable, working base to a game that incorporates the missing features we're all looking for.

fixed
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #1384
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:

That analogy is a little off because you're comparing a one time product to a drink. Drinks go on sale all the time, but the kicker is the full priced version doesn't taste lousy. It tastes the same as the batch on sale.

Would you be a little bothered if you bought a brand new computer as soon as it was released, but it was buggy as hell and you hardly use it for a few weeks. Then at the same time they released the fix for the computer, they put a sale on it.

I agree with those who say it's a slap in the face to those who bought it early. It would be different if the game didn't have so many bugs in it, or the AI was better, etc. But it's not, the game is really tough to play right now, and this little sale just makes it more annoying.

Live and learn I guess. I should have expected this, but I thought since this was his 7th (?) version of the game, and he was going to a company with more resources, the game wouldn't have been as bad as it was at release. I guess i'm going to have to treat OOTP like I would MS Windows from now on. Wait a few weeks/months till all the bugs are ironed out and the price drops then get a somewhat stable version of the copy. I'd be shocked if I was alone with that attitude after this price drop announcement so soon.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:57 PM   #1385
stevew
Hall Of Famer

heybrad rulez
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #1386
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
fixed

Truthfully, I barely remember OOTP 4. It was the first version of the game I played, and I couldn't even tell you what bothered me about it.

I was on the beta team for OOTP 5, I think, but didn't get invited back for OOTP 6. That said, most of my OOTP play came via an OOTP 6/6.5 league over the last few years.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #1387
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsfan
That analogy is a little off because you're comparing a one time product to a drink. Drinks go on sale all the time, but the kicker is the full priced version doesn't taste lousy. It tastes the same as the batch on sale.

Would you be a little bothered if you bought a brand new computer as soon as it was released, but it was buggy as hell and you hardly use it for a few weeks. Then at the same time they released the fix for the computer, they put a sale on it.

I agree with those who say it's a slap in the face to those who bought it early. It would be different if the game didn't have so many bugs in it, or the AI was better, etc. But it's not, the game is really tough to play right now, and this little sale just makes it more annoying.

Live and learn I guess. I should have expected this, but I thought since this was his 7th (?) version of the game, and he was going to a company with more resources, the game wouldn't have been as bad as it was at release. I guess i'm going to have to treat OOTP like I would MS Windows from now on. Wait a few weeks/months till all the bugs are ironed out and the price drops then get a somewhat stable version of the copy. I'd be shocked if I was alone with that attitude after this price drop announcement so soon.

Couldn't agree more. Next year I think I won't rush out and slap my credit card against my computer within 1 week of release. I will force myself to wait
a few weeks or months till OOTP 2007 is more bug free(and cheaper)!
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #1388
Stevebsfan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker
Couldn't agree more. Next year I think I won't rush out and slap my credit card against my computer within 1 week of release. I will force myself to wait
a few weeks or months till OOTP 2007 is more bug free(and cheaper)!

Yea, the price isn't really the issue in the future, although it's a bonus to wait and get it cheaper. Right now however it's just a slight slap in the face because the product was so buggy at release. If anything, they should give those who bought it at full price a 10% refund.

I'd assume future versions will be less buggy on release as long as they continue to improve this specific product opposed to re-writing it again though. I'm still going to wait regardless.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #1389
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

Hey, it would be different if 2006 was working great, and stable. But it's in a garbage state for many people as is. And when were we ever told features A,B,C won't be in the next version, hell I assumed everything would be there. It seems that alot of what was added for 6.5 was left out, leaving me to believe that they just started with V6 and moved on from there.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #1390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Truthfully, I barely remember OOTP 4. It was the first version of the game I played, and I couldn't even tell you what bothered me about it.

I was on the beta team for OOTP 5, I think, but didn't get invited back for OOTP 6. That said, most of my OOTP play came via an OOTP 6/6.5 league over the last few years.
please stop causing problems
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #1391
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsfan

No. Because it means someone else gets to benefit from it and that someone might be me the next time that happens. It comes and goes. It's all luck of the draw sometimes.

And Marc already pointed out, if you pre-ordered the game, you got a discount and if you didn't, well, then you didn't.

I don't see why everyone is so annoyed about this. It's not as if you shelled out thousands for a laptop that didn't work or a car that was a lemon. It's a game. They're working on it and so, you can either play it the best way you know how until then or you can ignore it..murmur stuff under your breath and never bother with it again.

But people are sitting around here acting as if they want Markus and all the folks from SI to come out of the shadows, with their heads between their legs, begging all the l33t n00bs from the b0ards d00d to forgive them for doing what happens in the status quo all the time.

If the game hadn't come out until say, mid-July while they worked on it to get it more perfect, people will be bitching about them busting deadlines and saying things like "what the hell have they been doing for the past year and.."

A better analogy is are you made when someone gets a plane ticket to go to the same place you are or a hotel room in the same expensive hotel you're in, for a lot cheaper than what you paid, because they just got lucky?

Stuff happens. But they're trying to fix it. That doesn't give them a free pass, per se. But its not like this is the first time this has ever happened in video game history or will ever happen again.

And like I mentioned before, when you buy a console game (especially a sports game) and it has problems..you shut up and just keep playing. Because they don't release patches until the following year for the same darn price. Or you wait until later that year when it starts to get marked down.

But I guess that's not fair to all those people who are "loyal" to EA Sports by sending them their money on the first day a game is released or pre-ordering it. Why should all the latecomers get all the benefits?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #1392
Galaril
Pro Starter

Taken from "The Blog for the Sports Gamer" which BTW is a great blog run by Bill Abner and a couple of other professional game reviews. From this I am strating to see that all may not be lost and a patch or two is all OOtp 06 will need (crossing fingers).

It looks like we can expect OOTP 2006 Patch 2 on or around July 7th. I've posted a couple iterations of the fix list already so I'll just link to the post, which has the most up to date information (as of July 3rd). However, there is one new addition to the list that I'm particularly pleased to see: saving league setups as distributable templates.

As it was, you could not save progress during league creation. Sure, once you created a league you could save it as a QuickStart, but that really wasn't enough, for a couple of reasons. For one, given how big leagues could get, creating a world of baseball leagues in one sitting is a monumental task that can take hours to complete. Plus, if you wanted to use someone else's work as a Quickstart you might get stuck with some league creation settings that you really don't want with no way to change it. Quickstarts were a good idea that really weren't implemented properly in the initial release. Allowing for players to create and distribute templates from the league creation screen instead of after it's finalized eliminates that problem. Kudos to the Markus, Marc and the rest of the team on implementing this feature for the next patch!

http://sportsgamer.blogspot.com/
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #1393
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We can only hope, but I have my doubts.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #1394
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Well, we've scheduled the rest of the month for working on patches so even if we dont get something 100% right this Friday we're not going anywhere fast.

It seems that many of the AI problems that appeared in the original release / patch 1 are looking a lot lot better (I've asked the guys this morning to log anything they still think needs major attention).

Markus has added a few new features and fixed one serious issue affecting online leagues.

The current 1.0.2 fix list reads as follows...

Added Features

- Added the ability to load & save world setups as templates during game creation
- Added wild pitches to the team pitching stats table
- Added passed balls to the team fielding stats table
- Added player league level to the custom filter and view options for player lists
- Added two new stat splits: Last Year and 2 Years Ago
- Added an option to automatically delete retired players who never reached the major leagues, saving memory
- Added an option to the preferences dialog to select the use of page selectors for sortable lists
- Added accomplishments section to league history
- Added milestones to player history summary
- Added the option to delete all free agents (only available in commish mode)
- Added the option to release all players and schedule an inaugural draft (only available during pre-season)
- Added the option to watch any game when not in commish mode
- Added the option of not pausing after each play in the in-game screen when watching a game
- Active roster sizes can now be reduced up to 15 men
- Added support for 1 and 2 man pitching rotations
- Added "import all teams from import_export folder" function
- Added the ability to edit coach/manager strategies if in commish mode (#1899)
- Added blown saves to pitching game log page

Fixes / Improvements

#227 - Fixed wildcard scheduling opponent in initial playoff round
#1486 - Trade offers no longer expire after using the back button
#1609 - Pages with scrolling lists now remember where you were when you leave the page and return
#1694 - Fixed problems with the AI going over the salary cap through trades
#1710 - Fixed a series of memory leaks causing the game to perform badly the longer it was left open and simming
#1747 - Fixed issue where teams were charged twice when releasing arbitration-eligible players after the season ends
#1742 - Fixed importing of HBP, balk, WP, and batter hit-by-pitch ratings from OOTP 6.x leagues
#1762 - Fixed some inconsistencies with spring training in the Schedule Evaluation report
#1770 - Fixed Rule 5 Draft scheduling problems
#1813 - Reduced frequency of severe injuries
#1830 - Up and down arrows on lower pane of Player History page now work correctly
#1851 - Improved bullpen AI, particularly overuse of visiting bullpens and use of too many relievers in a game
#1855 - Player list now sorted by last names instead of first names
#1818 - The AI no longer tries to trade recently signed or drafted players
#1793 - Factored groundball percentage more into the calculations of HR frequency in the game engine
#1799 - Fixed DFA issues when using the right-click menu
#1826 - Tweaked player extention demands
#1831 - fixed infield fly rule calls
#1938 - fixed problems with foreigner limir rule
#1888 - Fixed game log displaying issues in in-game screen
#1898 - Fixed coach ratings display in personnel screen
#1751 - Pinch hitting stats are now properly recorded
#1856 - Fixed cosmetical issues with coaches & scouts disabled
#1785 - Fixed "invalid date" error when downloading all team exports via FTP
#1827 - Fixed problems with drafted players showing up when preventing any roster moves
#1903 - Improved roster AI in terms of carrying enough SP
#1911, #1936 - Fixed problems with importing of historical fielding ratings
#1988 - Fixed generating of player with "1" as the last name
#1965 - Fixed phantom ER bug
- Coach photos can now be assigned using the Coach_# naming convention, so photos are no longer shared between players and coaches
- Fixed FTP export path bug
- Adjusted salaries for closers
- Fixed problems with the usage of depth chart settings
- Fixed rare crash when viewing league history
- Fixed some crash issues (#1745, #1778, #1836, #1838, #1800, #1779, #1806, #1863, #1780, #2024, #1942, #2021)
- Fixed some PbP issues (#1925, #1921, #1922, #1924, #1948)
- Improved 40-man roster selection AI
- Improved contract offering AI if computer teams have lots of money available
- Improved loading time and game speed
- Improved pinch-hitting AI
- Improved retiring logic
- Improved the memory footprint of the game when handling large amounts of data
- Decreased the value of middle relievers in trades
- AI no longer adjusts lineups for human teams when managing a game
- Free agent pool after creating a league no longer contains top prospects
- Tweaked passed ball and wild pitch frequencies
- Tweaked player aging & development (increasing number of talent changes)
- Tweaked player position rating calculation & importing
- Scrollable player & coaches lists now remember their position
- Game now remembers position filters when on the lineup or ratings page
- Added fields to player table in SQL dump
- Split SQL dump player table into 4 tables
- Tweaked player generator in terms of speed and stealing
- Tweaked starting pitcher endurance
- Retired non-pitchers now do not become pitching coaches and vice-versa
- Tweaked importing of OOTP 6/6.5 leagues
- The FTP password text edit box now behaves properly, displaying *
Old 07-04-2006, 05:43 AM   #1395
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Can't wait, Marc. Looks as if Markus has shifted into overdrive!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #1396
Marc Duffy
SI Games

He certainly has, he had a little break and was ill but he's firing now and I hope it meets with approval from many of you here.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #1397
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Marc: Are there any plans to deal with the coach/scout problems? Right now they don't age or gain experience and there are zero coaches/scouts with double digit ratings outside of those that start with MLB clubs.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #1398
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Not sure I follow. As far as I am aware they do age and improve their ratings.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #1399
Drake
assmaster

They do age and improve their ratings from what I've seen. Now, if we could just get their career records added to their coaching cards (for the seasons they were Managers only, of course), then they'd be perfect.

I notice that there's now a Manager of the Year award given (according to the SION broadcast). Does that information actually show up anywhere in the game? I haven't been able to find it.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #1400
SackAttack
Head Coach

For what it's worth, I really, REALLY like the addition of world templates.

Now I can set up a MLB-style league with real names and logos for both major and minor leagues with one click, instead of putting in two hours every time.