Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1351
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This is awesome. I would go insane if I tried to do anything like that myself, but the idea and the end result if you stick with it, is awesome. Would love to see screenshots of your houses when you're done!

At the moment nearly everything is stored in containers (unlike Fallout 3 and to a lesser extent Oblivion). That's because of some of the issues with placement of items in houses that, as far as I know, haven't been patched yet.

Apparently there's a bug where, sometimes, items you put somewhere don't stay put. Like if you put a roll of paper, an inkwell, and a quill on a table and then leave the house, when you return & re-enter the room everything comes crashing down from the ceiling landing pretty much everywhere.

Rather than have that happen to me (and risk losing an item because I can't find it to pick it up again), I'm holding off on the interior decorating.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #1352
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
when you return & re-enter the room everything comes crashing down from the ceiling landing pretty much everywhere.

I've had that happen outside with dragon carcasses. One night I had a dragon carcass that would drop from the sky every time I exited a dungeon.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #1353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I've had that happen outside with dragon carcasses. One night I had a dragon carcass that would drop from the sky every time I exited a dungeon.

I think that's happened with every dragon I've killed at the college.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #1354
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Except that latetely I've been blasting dragons with lightning storm and they end up in the next hold or somewhere that I can never find them.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #1355
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I need help in figuring out something different to do. For a while now, I've been going to various places and picking up stuff do or wander around and stumble upon a cave or to clear out yet another dungeon. It gets old - blasting my way through the tunnels and rooms, killing the big bad dude at the end and getting a bunch of expensive loot that I don't care about. I'm not going to change my character (fire/lightning mage) because stuff like sneaking, swordfighting or archery doesn't interest me. I'm just looking for a better and different experience.

For example, I guess the civil war quests would be something different? What side would I chose to kill off the Thalmors (sp?), I really don't like them. If not the civil war, what else have you done that would be different than the usual quests (besides stocking my house with every items - give me break). Perhaps mods?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #1356
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I was in the same boat and just started a new character and playing completely different. Not sure what advice to offer outside of playing through the storylines or just making a new character.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
What side would I chose to kill off the Thalmors (sp?), I really don't like them. If not the civil war, what else have you done that would be different than the usual quests (besides stocking my house with every items - give me break). Perhaps mods?

IIRC there isn't a straight up kill-the-Thalmors option, not directly at least(not that I've seen mentioned anywhere anyway). Nothing to prevent you from kicking their butts at any/every opportunity though.

As for possible focal points for you, it's hard for me because we seem to be almost perfect opposites in playstyle. It's not that I'm unwilling, it's just that I'm rather stumped I'm afraid.

You kinda blew up my main line of thought when you said you didn't want to try a totally different style. You've already done the Mage College line (I presume), most of the other things I've seen really seem to fall into the same sequence as each other, i.e. go somewhere, learn somewhere, find something, kill shit, retrieve, return, repeat as directed. Not going to feel different to you I don't think.

I'd suggest maxxing alchemy but I don't think that would appeal to you at all, it's mostly an exercise in find & collect when you get right down to it. Maybe the Dark Brotherhood and/or Thieves Guild storylines? (although fwiw my son says neither of those are nearly as good as they were in Oblivion)

I'm honestly starting to think that maybe you've finished the game? At least as far as what you enjoy about it. If you're on PC though, the mods might be your best bet (isn't the new creation kit coming shortly/just released ?)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #1358
SportsDino
College Prospect

Become a badass. Walk into one of the smaller towns and assert your destructive authority.

Feel free to save first, but don't approach it as screwing around. Make up a mission for yourself that has a goal to focus your efforts and give it a criteria for success and failure.

Anyone can fry a villager in the middle of the city and then be killed by guards a few seconds later. Getting away with murder (for the sneaky) or going apeshit at a merchant who cheated you for the last time and raging your way out of the city... slightly more difficult.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #1359
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks for your help. I came across a fight that was harder by far than anything I had done before - mainly because of the leveled enemies at the master level. It was the second Companions quest "Dustman's Cairn" where at the end, I had fight off 12 deathlords at the same time and several other draugr type creatures. It took every bit of magic to survive but stupidly, I still had my haggling amulet on and still haven't learned to use anything else except just the fire/lightning stuff. That was very hard.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #1360
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think that's the different thing I was looking for - the game making killing shit harder than the usual plow-through. Now I am going to have to really think about learning to fight differently so I can be more effective. Part of it has to be defense since the Arch-Mage robe can't allow tough things to get close (i.e., one hit and I'm dead). Imagine 12 overlords surrounding you and didn't have time to get off a fire storm (takes about 5 seconds to charge up). That will force me into the armor skills, as well as restoration (I think) while still wanting to be effective with destruction.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #1361
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Skyrim Creation Kit is going to be released tomorrow.

Skyrim Creation Kit Coming To PC | PCWorld
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #1362
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Skyrim Creation Kit is going to be released tomorrow.

Skyrim Creation Kit Coming To PC | PCWorld

Possibly releasing with a high resolution texture pack from Bethesda.

Headline With A ?: Skyrim Texture Pack? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1363
mckerney
Coordinator

Save 33% on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on Steam

3 GB high res texture pack out for Skyrim.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...esort=toprated

Link to Skyrim Steam Workshop

Last edited by mckerney : 02-07-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #1364
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

So is the workshop a go now?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #1365
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
So is the workshop a go now?

Yep, just click "Subscribe" on a mods workshop page and it will automatically download when you load the Skyrim Launcher (Just click play from in Steam, they won't download if you launch Skyrim through the SKSE. Once you've downloaded them you should be able to use SKSE if you have any Nexus mods that use it). You can deactivate or delete mods through the Data Files option in the launcher.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #1366
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Considering the entire game was ~6GB when it was released, 3GB of textures is a shitpile!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #1367
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

at this point i've played 175 hours, visited 230 places, and am at level 56.

as great as the game is, i still find myself getting disappointed at some things. these are all things that the previous elder scrolls games suffered from as well.

1. variety of monsters. it is a shame and a little weird that bethesda put so much effort into making a vast game with ~350 different locations and a huge sandbox world, but has by comparison so little variety in enemies. after you've reached level 20 you've most likely seen all of the different monster types in the game (dragon, giant, spider, humanoid, bear, etc). it makes the game a little boring when you're in the later stages. if they couldn't add more monster types due to the complexity of adding them into a sandbox world, they could have at least done a better job at staging their appearance into the game.

2. how the AI? i try to suspend disbelief as much as possible, but it's hard when you hit a guy in the head with an arrow, then hide for a couple seconds until he forgets about it and goes back to cooking soup. plus, enemies rarely have the smarts to hide and sneak up on you - instead bandits are always perfectly positioned to be arrow fodder.

3. storyline. i guess it's more of a "me" problem than a game problem, but i am not getting too engrossed in the storyline. there aren't any really memorable characters. but i'll admit that might just be my own impatience at listening to the dialogue.

4. yes there are 350 differnt locations, and bethesda has done a lot better job in this installment at adding variety to the locations, but there is still a lot of reliance on formula. you pretty much know before you enter a cave or dwarven ruin what to expect, where the treasure boxes will be located, what kind of loot will be found in the urns, how to identify traps, when to sneak, etc.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #1368
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I agree with lighthousekeeper, even though #2 didn't apply to me much. After a short break, I did play for another 25 hours or so and while not as much as lhk, I am over 150 locations, 54 dungeons and 65 quests completed, by level 31.

I do think they did a hugely better job with the dungeons and the awesome Nordic world (two of the reasons I hated the previous titles), it has become very repetitive to play. Even though some of the fights are challenging at the Master level, I will win by a handful of ways (as a mage).

As far as the quests, I did become a Companion and did nearly of the Thieves quests (except returning the awesome key and the errand ones). Also, I got to the point of becoming or choosing to be a Thane everywhere. What I haven't touched are the Civil War or the Brotherhood quests, so at least they offer up something new and different.

Besides more variety, I think what I would like to see are world-changing events. As a travel back and forth to every city, they are nearly always as they have been despite my actions or events that happened. One example is what happened after escaping the Forsworn mine. Going back to Markarth since then put everything back to normal, except for a few dialog comments. Also, by level 9(?), I completed the Main Quest and it appears to not have made any difference. I'm not talking about wiping out a city, just giving me new experiences around me.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #1369
DougW
High School Varsity

Any new great mods out since the toolkit was released ?
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #1370
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
As far as the quests, I did become a Companion and did nearly of the Thieves quests (except returning the awesome key and the errand ones). Also, I got to the point of becoming or choosing to be a Thane everywhere. What I haven't touched are the Civil War or the Brotherhood quests, so at least they offer up something new and different.

I've been pretty intent on finishing these other lines before finishing the main storyline. One city seems to have bugged out on me finishing becoming a thane, though its Falkreath (sp) and I don't really care about them so meh, I'm sure there's a console command to complete the "help people" thing and progress it but I am trying to make thane everywhere as well.

The thieves guild was huge for me though, without any points in speech I was having a real hard time selling the stuff I looted, and I am looting less and less as I go as it is. But completing the thieves guild line (via doing enough errands to trigger quests in each city) put four vendors and gave Tonilla 4000 gold, so I just go there to sell now.

I never started the Dark Brotherhood stuff, I didn't actually know how, I looked it up a couple days ago, apparently since I never sleep it never triggered.

Quote:
I think what I would like to see are world-changing events. As a travel back and forth to every city, they are nearly always as they have been despite my actions or events that happened. One example is what happened after escaping the Forsworn mine. Going back to Markarth since then put everything back to normal, except for a few dialog comments.

I have a couple big issues with this as well. Mainly with the Civil War. I've chosen a side, I'm doing those quests, I should be pretty clearly well known as on the side of the empire, but the stormcloak cities and their leaders are still thrilled to see me, nothing's changed. The leader of the Stormcloak Rebellion runs Windhelm, but I still am free to do whatever I want in that city at any time.

The other issue are the weird quests that come up for each god/altar/religion. I've done a bunch of really creepy quests (and killed/tricked a number of innocent people!) to gain favor with various gods. Many times I've killed people because they worship others, yet these deities don't seem to care that I'm doing stuff for all of them, they are still all willing to make me their favorite and shower me with their loot (err, gifts), and also by the way none of this has any impact on anything else in the game either.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #1371
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Good post and points, Radii. I did 10 of the 16 Daedra quests until I got too disgusted by them. In every single case, though, I sold whatever they gave me so I couldn't care less about what they wanted me to do afterwards (if they would make a difference).

That's unfortunate about the Civil War, that's the one line that I thought would change things.

That's interesting about Tonilla. I'm still wanting to sell the Right Eye but it would be too much of a loss. But despite buying houses, using trainers, investing and stuff, I'm still back up to 70,000+ gold. Just wish there was more of a point to gold.

Not knowing anything about modding or what they can offer, I guess I'll be interesting in hearing what any of them could do.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #1372
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
2. how the AI? i try to suspend disbelief as much as possible, but it's hard when you hit a guy in the head with an arrow, then hide for a couple seconds until he forgets about it and goes back to cooking soup. plus, enemies rarely have the smarts to hide and sneak up on you - instead bandits are always perfectly positioned to be arrow fodder.
I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often. Basically, the issue is this: the game desperately wants you to play a sneaky character. From what I've heard, those characters are lots of fun and the game does them well, so it really, really wants you to play that way.

My wife loves playing sneak characters and she doesn't notice anything odd about the AI. On the other hand, when I play I just use a basic sword/shield guy, and it all seems completely ridiculous. Every dungeon is laid out with one or two people per room, all standing out in the open, all oblivious to anything that happens. They even loudly announce their presense whenever you walk into a room with some meaningless dialog. They're just begging you to pick them off one at a time.

(And that's not even getting into higher levels where enemies will walk right past you in broad daylight if you crouch down a bit first.)

The worst example is the mission where you can choose to wipe out the dark brotherhood. From what I understand, these are supposed to be the badass uber-assassin-ninjas of all-time. But when you walk into their lair, they're doing the exact same idiotic "Oh gosh I think I will stand here and talk to myself with my back to you" routine. Kill one, as loudly as you want, and the next one is just hanging out nextdoor waiting for his turn.

I don't doubt that it adds up to a fun experience if you're a sneak fan, but from a distance the whole thing seems pretty odd.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #1373
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Since I had never done any sneaking (ok, once, but I got caught of course) and saw no reason to in the game, I can't comment on how the AI should react. However, in all of my years of playing action/adventure type games, I had never seen the AI do much of anything smartly beyond some partial hiding and occassional crouching. Perhaps a game like Assassin's Creed figured it out, I would assume.

Knowing the amount of dungeons/tombs/caves in the game, I can't imagine they would want you to take an hour or so to clear each one, if there are 25-40 enemies all hiding and sneaking. The scale just doesn't allow for it.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #1374
Drake
assmaster

The Falmer do a pretty good job of hiding/sneaking. Makes me wonder why they haven't taken over Skyrim yet, because one of them could clear most of the dungeons with the the AI's sneak vulnerability.

Last edited by Drake : 02-13-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #1375
SackAttack
Head Coach

They're blind. How would they hear their way to the exit to the upper world?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1376
Radii
Head Coach

Almost finished with everything for the thieves guild and got this set of nightingale armor, its not quite as good as dragonscale but damn I love the look, especially with the hood and mask, even though it covers the awesome kitteh face.

I was messing around with the free roam camera console command thingy and got a screenshot w/ bow (nightingale... not quite as much base damage as daedric upgraded BUT two dmg effects, since I'm not specced into Enchanting I don't think I can top that?) and with my daggers. They're a bit bigger so just linked.

http://fbcb-fofc.com/img/skyrim_nightingalebow.jpg
http://fbcb-fofc.com/img/skyrim_nightingaledagger.jpg

The thieves guild quest line has been my favorite in the game so far, still not quite done but very very close it appears. I don't think I'm going to dive all the way through the winterhold college line or dark brotherhood line, its about time to finish the game I do believe.

Last edited by Radii : 02-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #1377
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Need a little help. My first character was a one-handed machine who used heavy armor and archery. I tore through everyone with it. I started another that focuses on magic.

My problem is that I'm having a much tougher time defeating difficult enemies. It feels like 1 or 2 hits from these guys can wipe me out. I have to burn through so many vials of health potion to beat them and that's with a companion. I wear robes and a hood that help regenerate magic faster, so I am more vulnerable.

How are you guys doing it? Do you eventually just move to armor? I'm just having a tough time against some of the tougher foes and looking for a better fighting strategy. Currently using conjuration with a flame antorach and then a destruction spell with the other hand.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #1378
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You need to cast with two hands for much better damage. I do a lot of cast/run/hide repeat.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #1379
Buccaneer
Head Coach

RainMaker, as an exclusive mage player, I can help. Skyrim does a good job in giving you a mix of easy and hard opponents, as you go through the levels. During the hard times, I worked mainly on getting Destruction up considerably, particularly through training, perks and bonuses.

There are three keys to Destruction. First, use all of the fire power you have to quickly kill the enemies. Anything that delays firing as a dual/combo caster will only hurt you. In other words, don't put a restoration or a summoning or an illusion spell in the other hand, they are a waste of time and allow the enemy to live longer.

Second has to do with defense. During a hard stretch in the higher levels, I switched over to a Heavy Armor (along with my 80+ rating) because I was getting 1/2-hitted quite easily. But that didn't work and it would never work anyways. So it was back to the Arch-Mage robes (along with a mask and amulet) simply because I needed the extra firepower. Everything from what you have in your hands and on you have to go towards killing things as quickly as possible.

The third is this: If you are allowing (tougher) enemies to get close to you, you are doing it wrong. Many times, you can fire a ball/bolt (or three) at them from a distance. In tighter quarters, have a flame/sparks/freeze in one hand to hold them off and then a ball/bolt in the other to finish them off. If you can't hold them off and they get close, do the tried-and-true RPG mage trick - run away to gain space and get them in front of you in single file. In Skyrim, that usually mean to run back up the narrow passageways and turning around to fire when get some separation. Keep doing that over and over (along with your companion's help) and you'll weaken the tough opponent enough to get one good ball/bolt into him/her/it. There's no reason to fight close in against 5 Deathlords (for example). You will get killed if you do. Pick them off one at a time, with an occassional shout thrown in for good measure.

One final note about the Master level Destruction spells. Only the Lightning Storm work well if you have the distance. The other ones, Fire Storm or something like that (plus the Wall of ... ones), you will never have time get them off (since they require you to be closer to the enemies).
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #1380
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Addendum:

I'm at level 31 and long have been at Master Destruction. 90% of the time since close to the beginning, I had one of the following three combinations:

1. Fireball-Incinerator / Flames (plowing through the tunnels and rooms)
2. Flames / Flames (for close combat)
3. Incinerator / Incinerator (for those really tough enemies)

all with 320-420 in magicka (and about 120-180 in health, nothing in stamina).

The key was to get to Adept (50), Expert (70) and Master (100) with their perks as quickly as possible. In other words, everything gets put into the Destruction skill - basically ignore everything else, with the Dual-Caster perk being the key (since it comes early).

Last edited by Buccaneer : 02-16-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #1381
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I just hit level 28. After spending most of the game wondering around doing random tasks, I finally settled in to one string of adventures. Working on the College of Winterhold ones and I'm off to get the Staff of Something-or-other. Got my but handed to me by the bone dragon and a half dozen minions until I hit level 28 and improved my destruction attack and broke through. Seeing now that I spread my abilities too thin and should have stuck to just the destruction, stealth, archery route.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #1382
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I just hit level 28. After spending most of the game wondering around doing random tasks, I finally settled in to one string of adventures. Working on the College of Winterhold ones and I'm off to get the Staff of Something-or-other. Got my but handed to me by the bone dragon and a half dozen minions until I hit level 28 and improved my destruction attack and broke through. Seeing now that I spread my abilities too thin and should have stuck to just the destruction, stealth, archery route.

I just did that mission today, but I took two helpers with me (Aela from the Companions and Mercer Frey from the Thieves), which made it much easier. Mercer Frey knows no mercy!

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #1383
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

I did that by standing outside the gate, pulling the lever and firing off a fireball before the gate closed. I had to go through and finish the bone dragon, but by the time I went through the gate I had killed all the minions.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #1384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did that by standing outside the gate, pulling the lever and firing off a fireball before the gate closed. I had to go through and finish the bone dragon, but by the time I went through the gate I had killed all the minions.

This.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #1385
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:

LOL.. as the conjuror guy that i am, i simply stood behind the gate and spammed Dremoras/Antronachs until that whole group was DOA.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #1386
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is why I LOVE the Ritual Stone. After killing all the minions, I ressurect all of them and they fight for me.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #1387
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The Falmer do a pretty good job of hiding/sneaking. Makes me wonder why they haven't taken over Skyrim yet, because one of them could clear most of the dungeons with the the AI's sneak vulnerability.

According to what you can read on the Falmer in game the population is recovering from being slaves to the Dwemer and at the time Skyrim takes place they're becoming more aggressive about going to the surface. A Falmer invasion of the surface that you need to fight back would be fun for a future DLC, especially if it could provide a changing world that's lacking from the game currently.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #1388
SackAttack
Head Coach

Fought an Ancient Dragon last night. Took me almost half an hour to dispose of it, and I nearly died several times.

THAT'S what Dragon fights should have been like all along. Not this kind of incidental "oh, these are at best the third-most dangerous critters in Skyrim."
Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #1389
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Fought an Ancient Dragon last night. Took me almost half an hour to dispose of it, and I nearly died several times.

THAT'S what Dragon fights should have been like all along. Not this kind of incidental "oh, these are at best the third-most dangerous critters in Skyrim."

I returned once to the College of Winterhold and an ancient dragon landed in the main courtyard, of course there wasn't a mage in sight to help with the fight.

Finally best the beast, enter one of the halls for a quick conversation with one of the NPCs there, re-entered the courtyard.. and another ancient attacked!

I think the game was trying to tell me something, what i'm not sure.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #1390
bhlloy
Coordinator

Honestly, when I get randomly attacked by a dragon I'm usually in the middle of doing something cool and the last thing I want is to take 30 minutes out of my game time to beat the damn thing. At those times I'm grateful I can dispatch it easily and move on.

That being said, the major dragon fights are way too easy especially at the levels you hit most of them. Not sure if there is a mod out there to just increase the difficulty of the scripted encounters or not
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #1391
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreghorn2 View Post
I returned once to the College of Winterhold and an ancient dragon landed in the main courtyard, of course there wasn't a mage in sight to help with the fight.

Finally best the beast, enter one of the halls for a quick conversation with one of the NPCs there, re-entered the courtyard.. and another ancient attacked!

Heh, I had that happen so often that I actually started expecting them to attack whenever I returned. Up the thread a bit someone suggested that it might be related to a nearby dragon burial site that I hadn't cleared yet.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #1392
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Heh, I had that happen so often that I actually started expecting them to attack whenever I returned. Up the thread a bit someone suggested that it might be related to a nearby dragon burial site that I hadn't cleared yet.

Ahh.. interesting i never thought of that.

Actually the that makes a lot of sense, looks like it's time to clear out a nest, those ancients are wearing me out.

This is going to sound very stupid but i have played literally a couple of hundred hours and have started many many characters and i have yet to finish any story line, not one.

It's embarrassing.

I keep trying to create a perfect character of role play and playability where i am not an uber killer who simply cannot be beat by the time i hit 50 or so. I still want there to be unknown content in the game when i finally create 'my guy'.

I thought i came close with my last creation but once i hit 100 in Illusion and Conjuration and Alteration before 50 i was feeling super duper powerful.

I'd like to stay away from crafting but that's almost impossible. Illusion and Conjuration are my favorites but they make a strong character by themselves, together, holy cow.

I'm an idiot, but will keep trying, i really enjoy this game.

BTW anybody heard any feedback from friends and neighbours regarding Kingdoms of Amalur?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #1393
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW anybody heard any feedback from friends and neighbours regarding Kingdoms of Amalur?

A few FOFC impressions are here
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Front Office Football Central
Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1394
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I will definitely try to concentrate one different magic sets when I restart after this game. Would like to see how different it plays if I'm not so high in the destruction tree.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #1395
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, for the first time in a game, I had an emotional experience that at least temporarily changed things.

Spoiler
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #1396
DougW
High School Varsity

Just an observation, but I think Enchantment is the best tree in the game. Especially when you get tot he double enchant.

Double enchants on everything ?
-25% magic cost for a particular school (Xs 4 pieces) = Everything is free.
And, can do that with 2 schools with the double enchant.

Stacking double enchants on all your gears (with the uber enchants you get from perks and 100 enchanting skill) is pretty overpowered. I seen a video of a guy 1 shotting dragons. Course he had a bow that he had crafted with his max BSing, and a full archery damage build. With the double enchants on gear.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #1397
Drake
assmaster

Heh, Bucc...

Somewhere upthread, I have an ode to my dead wife (Aela in that playthrough), who fell by my hand defending the gates. And here I thought she was sitting at home in Riften making me sandwiches...

That's why communication in a marriage is so important. If I'd bothered to do more than take half of her money and expect her to entertain herself, I would have known what she was up to.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #1398
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Just an observation, but I think Enchantment is the best tree in the game. Especially when you get tot he double enchant.

Double enchants on everything ?
-25% magic cost for a particular school (Xs 4 pieces) = Everything is free.
And, can do that with 2 schools with the double enchant.

Stacking double enchants on all your gears (with the uber enchants you get from perks and 100 enchanting skill) is pretty overpowered. I seen a video of a guy 1 shotting dragons. Course he had a bow that he had crafted with his max BSing, and a full archery damage build. With the double enchants on gear.

If your goal is to become as powerful as possible you'll want to pair enchantment with alchemy for the Echantment/Alchemy Loop.

Breaking Skyrim: The Infinite Alchemy Loop and more...? - The Something Awful Forums
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #1399
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

College of Winterhold is where I got ganked by this one. Thank goodness it kept landing on the parapets so I could hide underneath when I needed healing.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #1400
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok, for the first time in a game, I had an emotional experience that at least temporarily changed things.

Spoiler

Main quest spoiler in my reply

Spoiler

So I finished the main quest and am basically done with the game, i was level 57 I think when I finished. 110ish hours put in, I had some complaints along the way but really an outstanding experience and wonderful game overall.

I ended up with 100 smithing, 100 enchanting, 100 sneak, 98 one handed weapons, ~95 light armor, ~85 archery, ~85 alchemy, ~70 lockpicking. My perks were spent in smithing, sneak(both of those 100% maxxed out), 1 hand weapons, light armor and archery.

this was the first time I've ever played a rogue character in any RPG/MMO. I always gravitate towards mages/healers/tanks in that order and wanted to try something different. Maybe if I knew how ridiculous sneak was I would have done a mage here, but eh, I must say sneaking up and one shotting things never did get old, even as it got a bit easy and methodical.

I won't be questing any more but I may take my character on a couple killing sprees. I think I'm going to kill everyone killable in Markarth, b/c screw multi-level built into the mountain cities, I HATE learning the layout of those places in any game, thus they all deserve to die.