Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #1351
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Beating Michigan doesn't really mean much this year. They've done nothing other than beat a Florida team that fired their coach and won't be in a bowl game. They'll likely end 8-4, unless they beat Wisconsin, with Rutgers or Purdue as their best conference win.

Winning out and beating Ohio St would give them exactly 1 good win on the season.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #1352
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Michigan is currently ranked above LSU, a team that beat Auburn earlier this year.

Regardless putting a 2 loss P5 team above a undefeated P5 team would likely be a step waaay too far for the selection committee.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #1353
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Michigan is currently ranked above LSU, a team that beat Auburn earlier this year.

Regardless putting a 2 loss P5 team above a undefeated P5 team would likely be a step waaay too far for the selection committee.

Michigan is not in the CFP rankings while LSU is. Both won this weekend against mediocre teams so, even if Michigan is in this week, they should still be below LSU. Not Michigan's fault that Florida, Cincinnati, and Air Force are all bad this year, but they've got 8 wins against teams at .500 or below and are 0-2 against winning teams. Wisconsin beating them won't really mean much, especially if Michigan goes on to lose to OSU like they should.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #1354
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Still don't think a 2 loss team is going to put above a 0 loss team.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #1355
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm not really sure what the debate is here, but if Wisconsin is undefeated they will be in the playoff.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #1356
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah I was confused about the earlier "11-1" comment. Yes, an 11-1 Wisconsin will be left out, but not a 12-0 Wisconsin.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #1357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Michigan is not in the CFP rankings while LSU is.

I'd expect both to be in this week but it would not be entirely shocking if Michigan jumped LSU. They are three spots higher than LSU in the latest Coaches Poll, and while not predictive, it's not as though it'd be a huge shock if the committee caught up to the polls.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #1358
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I am of the belief that
Alabama
Auburn
Miami
Clemson
Wisconsin
all control their own destiny and none will be left out if they win out.

Bama and Miami possibly ave mulligans if they lose, depending on how and to whom. Auburn, Clemson and Wisconsin are all eliminated with a loss.

Oklahoma looms and I dont know what their or Washington's scenario looks like. I think both need help to get in.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #1359
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I am of the belief that
Alabama
Auburn
Miami
Clemson
Wisconsin
all control their own destiny and none will be left out if they win out.

Bama and Miami possibly ave mulligans if they lose, depending on how and to whom. Auburn, Clemson and Wisconsin are all eliminated with a loss.

Oklahoma looms and I dont know what their or Washington's scenario looks like. I think both need help to get in.

By winning out OU would have a wins over Ohio State and WVU along with 2 wins over either TCU or Oklahoma State.

FEI SOS before this week:

OU - 14
Clemson - 46
Miami - 68
Auburn - 15
Alabama - 74
Wisconsin - 91

How would OU need help?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #1360
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Washington's scenario looks like. I think both need help to get in.

Washingtons scenario is lost cause at this point. 2 losses eliminates a team that has played their schedule.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-13-2017 at 03:57 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #1361
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, if Oklahoma wins out, they're gonna be in the top four.

The Pac 10 is done. The only question is whether a conference gets two teams in or whether the remaining four of the Power Five get one each.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #1362
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
How would OU need help?

I would tend to agree that, if they win out, they're in there somewhere. Possibly as the #4, but in.

I believe they go in with 1-loss over an unbeaten Wisconsin honestly.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #1363
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Yeah, if Oklahoma wins out, they're gonna be in the top four.

The Pac 10 is done. The only question is whether a conference gets two teams in or whether the remaining four of the Power Five get one each.

FYI... Pac 12.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #1364
digamma
Torchbearer

I remember when it was the Pac 8.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #1365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I remember when it was the Pac 8.

Ah yes, when you could go to a game in the trusty Studebaker
Old 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #1366
digamma
Torchbearer

I don't actually remember when it was the Pac 8. The first Pac 10 game I remember is probably The Big Game band play. Then...
Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #1367
tgray649
Mascot

a lot of talk about whether or not a 12-0 Wisconsin gets in or if both Miami and Clemson get in...does Wisconsin have a shot at tOSU at a neutral site? the loser of the ACC Title game is out, Syracuse was a bad loss for Clemson, no way they are getting in with two losses. Miami loses and they are out, they beat an overrated (once again) Notre Dame team and they don't get in if they lose the ACC title game. JMO of course.
tgray649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #1368
tarcone
Coordinator

I read today that an 11-2 conference champ tOSU would be in.

They would beat Michigan and a top 5 Wiscy. So it isnt out of the realm of possibilities.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #1369
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Still don't think a 2 loss team is going to put above a 0 loss team.

Probably so, but an argument can be made for it. The committee has shown that they value wins over good teams at least as much as not having losses thus far.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #1370
tarcone
Coordinator

Everything you say is BS.

An average 0 loss team in Iowa in 2015 would have been in the playoffs, Had they beat MSU.

We were recipients of a terrible schedule. And we were seconds away.

This Wiscy team is better than that Iowa team.

So forget everything you think. Because it is flat wrong.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #1371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
An average 0 loss team in Iowa in 2015 would have been in the playoffs, Had they beat MSU. We were recipients of a terrible schedule. And we were seconds away. This Wiscy team is better than that Iowa team. So forget everything you think. Because it is flat wrong.

Seems fair to mention that, just like the Men's B'ball committee, the selection committee is not the same membership year to year.

5 of the 13 seats are currently held by different people than they were in 2015.

Also like the b'ball committee, while the mandate remains the same year to year (generally), the interpretation of their task can and sometimes does change.

So whatever did/would have happened with Iowa may not be a predictor for what does/doesn't happen with Wisconsin (or anybody else)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #1372
tarcone
Coordinator

Okay. A 2 loss team will not jump ANY B1g undefeated champion. Ever.

The B1G will never be left out unless they have 2 losses. And they be proven wrong this year if tOSU wins the title.

So changes in the committee or not, the B1G will not be left out.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #1373
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
By winning out OU would have a wins over Ohio State and WVU along with 2 wins over either TCU or Oklahoma State.

FEI SOS before this week:

OU - 14
Clemson - 46
Miami - 68
Auburn - 15
Alabama - 74
Wisconsin - 91

How would OU need help?

Again just my opinion...but I think Miami winning the next 2 and losing a squeaker to Clemson combined with Wisky undefeated and Bama undefeated...I think OU is outside looking in.

Similarly Auburn with a squeaker win over Bama I see 2 SEC teams in and OU out.

I dont think any of it happens. I also dont think OU wins out...well I dont feel sure they do, lets say that.

But I think its conceivable that OU wins out and gets left out. I see now way the others I mentioned win out and get left out
Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #1374
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If the final slot is 1 loss OU or undefeated Wisconsin, it's not even much of a debate. OU goes in.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #1375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again just my opinion...but I think Miami winning the next 2 and losing a squeaker to Clemson combined with Wisky undefeated and Bama undefeated...I think OU is outside looking in.

I think that has to assume (for Miami) that ND wins out, otherwise we're talking about a Miami team whose best moment is probably that loss to Clemson.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #1376
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay. A 2 loss team will not jump ANY B1g undefeated champion. Ever.

The B1G will never be left out unless they have 2 losses. And they be proven wrong this year if tOSU wins the title.

So changes in the committee or not, the B1G will not be left out.

I say this without any kind of study of the possible results.

This kind of statement is the sort of insular, self-possessed sort that suggests this is exactly what will happen.

The self-assured confidence of the blindly biased is always a reliable force to operate against.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #1377
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I say this without any kind of study of the possible results.

This kind of statement is the sort of insular, self-possessed sort that suggests this is exactly what will happen.

The self-assured confidence of the blindly biased is always a reliable force to operate against.

I mean, he is obviously biased, and I think he would admit that, but anyone unbiased who has a real handle on how the power of college football actually plays out would say the exact same thing. On the first statement at least.

I'd take a step back from his other point and disagree that virtually any 1 loss B1G team would never be left out. That's nuts.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #1378
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I mean, he is obviously biased, and I think he would admit that, but anyone unbiased who has a real handle on how the power of college football actually plays out would say the exact same thing. On the first statement at least.

I'd take a step back from his other point and disagree that virtually any 1 loss B1G team would never be left out. That's nuts.

I think history has shown that the committee would like to find a way to get the SEC and B1G in the playoffs. I wouldn't say they are guaranteed, but if all teams are created equal, the SEC and B1G are a little more equal. In any year I'd be shocked if an undefeated OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU or Wiscy didn't make the playoff regardless of what the rest of college football does.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #1379
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think history has shown that the committee would like to find a way to get the SEC and B1G in the playoffs. I wouldn't say they are guaranteed, but if all teams are created equal, the SEC and B1G are a little more equal. In any year I'd be shocked if an undefeated OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU or Wiscy didn't make the playoff regardless of what the rest of college football does.

Agreed.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #1380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In any year I'd be shocked if an undefeated OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU or Wiscy didn't make the playoff regardless of what the rest of college football does.

Hmm, I think I just realized where I disagree on this notion.

An undefeated Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State are gonna make a playoff even if they play 13 high school teams. I don't believe that's quite as guaranteed for anyone else in the conference. It's in the 90s percentile for some, lower for others, but nobody else strikes me as the same lock in the same situation.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-14-2017 at 09:47 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #1381
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well MSU is going to have to beat Michigan and Ohio State to get through and that generally seems impressive even if UM and OSU are having down years. Wisky is slightly different, but you'd imagine they'd have to go through OSU, UM, or PSU in the Big 10 title game most years - if the title game is Wisky v. MSU and Wisky wins it may be slightly different.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #1382
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If Wisconsin wins out, their regular season will feature no more than 3 wins over teams with a winning record. That's how bad their schedule is. The 3 wins would include Northwestern who got stomped by Duke who is likely to end up 4-8 with 1 ACC win (those 4 wins are UNC [2-8], Baylor [1-9], NW, and NC Central[FCS]).

Beating OSU in the B1G championship game shouldn't mean everyone ignores the fact that they played almost nobody on the way to that game. Especially if OU is there with 1 loss and 5 good wins (OSU, Ok State, TCU, WVU, + championship game).

The difference between the two is night and day. OU is much more qualified for that spot if it comes down to those two.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-14-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #1383
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Wisconsin wins out, their regular season will feature no more than 3 wins over teams with a winning record. That's how bad their schedule is. The 3 wins would include Northwestern who got stomped by Duke who is likely to end up 4-8 with 1 ACC win (those 4 wins are UNC [2-8], Baylor [1-9], NW, and NC Central[FCS]).

Despite that loss, Northwestern is considered the 27th best team (or best season) in the country to date by both AP writers and voting members of the coaches panel.

And if they win out, it's likely to be four teams with winning records: Northwestern, Iowa, FAU, and Michigan

edit to add: I'm not impressed by Wisconsin's record (or their opponents' record) either, but if you're gonna hang 'em then it seems fair to do it with the right rope.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-14-2017 at 10:22 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #1384
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Beating OSU in the B1G championship game shouldn't mean everyone ignores the fact that they played almost nobody on the way to that game. Especially if OU is there with 1 loss and 5 good wins (OSU, Ok State, TCU, WVU, + championship game).

The difference between the two is night and day. OU is much more qualified for that spot if it comes down to those two.

Shoulda woulda coulda, who gives a shit, Wisconsin will be in.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #1385
digamma
Torchbearer

I'd go a step further and say that if any Power 5 team goes undefeated, they will be in the playoff.

I suppose there could be a "super crazy" year where each Power 5 conference has an undefeated champion. (I mean that's happened a total of zero times in the last half century.) But the Power 5 negotiated this deal for a reason. You win your conference without a loss, you're going to be in the playoff.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #1386
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd go a step further and say that if any Power 5 team goes undefeated, they will be in the playoff.
Yes. However, until the Pac-12 gets their act together they'll always be at a disadvantage because they are dumb about scheduling and will generate more losses for teams in the conference than in the other Power-5 conferences.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #1387
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Arkansas Razorbacks fire AD Jeff Long
Old 11-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #1388
Edward64
Head Coach

I rather have Petrino back but I'll take Gus.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/...be-in-arkansas
Quote:
While there was a report hinting that Arkansas might pursue Gus Malzahn, another person says any interest the Razorbacks have in him is reciprocated by Auburn’s coach.

Speaking with Bo Mattingly on Thursday, ESPN’s Booger McFarland revealed that his ears have heard something is gravitating Malzahn to The Natural State.

Bo Mattingly @SportsTalkwBo
.@ESPNBooger: “Gus Malzahn, from what I’ve heard, wants to be in Arkansas.”
3:43 PM - Nov 16, 2017
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #1389
tarcone
Coordinator

So Bielma is gone?

Or Malzahn as AD?

Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #1390
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So Bielma is gone?

Or Malzahn as AD?

Oh, didn't think about that. I think Malzahn as coach, not AD.

But reality check, if Auburn wins out, I just don't see him coming back to AR.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #1391
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Malzahn has never coached anywhere more than 5 year in his life.
Check the calendar.....

He's...weird.
Auburn is tired of him. I'm not sure he doesn't get fired if not for the uga win.

I actually think auburn will wave the 10mm buyout if he leaves
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #1392
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Bielma is gone?

Barring some sort of complete financial disaster that prevents Arky from paying the buyout, I think Bielema only slight more chance of being back there as I have of being a (D) nominee in the next election cycle.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #1393
tarcone
Coordinator

Poor Bielma. Shows what a great AD can do for a program. Alvarez IS Wisconsin football.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #1394
tarcone
Coordinator

Weak slate of games today.

Wiscy/UM is the best game of the day. SEC playing their soft games. Everyone else playing the low end members of the conference.

The only other game that sticks out is K st/Okie St.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #1395
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Miami going full implosion early against UVA.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #1396
Atocep
Coordinator

Will Grier out with what looked to be a broken finger on his throwing hand. So wvu probably loses at home to Texas today.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #1397
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

ULM - Auburn tied in the 2nd quarter, Arkansas up 14-0 on Miss St, Miami and Va Tech struggling. Yep, it's what college kids do.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #1398
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And my D3 darlings Washington & Lee, trailing 14-0 at half to mighty Mount Union. Not playing badly, just can't get the offense going. Only allowed 2 TDs on short field drives (a midfield fumble and a short punt to midfield).

Gonna need a break, a big play, something on special teams, SOMETHING.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #1399
tarcone
Coordinator

Scott Frost "close" to signing with Nebraska. Rumors say the contract is 7 years $35 million.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Report-in...ract-110643757

Old 11-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #1400
larrymcg421
Head Coach

WTF? Virginia QB is 17 of 18 for 262 yards and 3 TD in the 1st half against Miami's D. Hopefully, Manny can figure something out for the 2nd half.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote