Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #1351
SackAttack
Head Coach

Oh, no. It was Weaver. Carry on.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #1352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty sad that is all that was out there for one of the best hitters in baseball. Obviously he is going to be a nightmare to sign. A 800ish ops 1b is okay but that dude needs to hit for much more power to play a non premium fielding position.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #1353
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

well that is the power of Boras
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #1354
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Tigers trade Ivan Rodriguez to Yankees

by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com Wednesday July 30, 2008, 4:29 PM

The Detroit Tigers have ended the Ivan Rodriguez era.
According to WDFN-AM Detroit (1130), the veteran catcher has been traded to the New York Yankees, but no details have been released on who the Tigers will receive in return.
ESPN is reporting the Tigers will receive reliever Kyle Farnsworth from New York.

Kyle Farnsworth???
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #1355
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Tigers are screwed if Inge goes down.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #1356
SackAttack
Head Coach

I bet they plan to flip a prospect or two to Texas for one of their catchers.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #1357
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Kyle Farnsworth???

Afraid so. Not sure what Dombrowski is thinking these days. He is still the GM in Detroit, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #1358
Jas_lov
College Starter

LOL! Kyle Farnsworth! It's a win-win for the Yankees. They get rid of Farnsworth and they get Pudge. Both players are FAs after this year. Pudge is better offensively than Molina, but Molina has been very solid defensively. Farnsworth hasn't been bad this year and he had a good stretch recently where he didn't allow a run, but the Yankees bullpen is deep with Edwar, Marte, Veras, and Bruney on his way back.

The Red Sox are talking about trading Manny to the Marlins.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #1359
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Red Sox are talking about trading Manny to the Marlins.

Does anybody else think this is way out of line? Since when do the Marlins acquire good players? I thought they always just dumped them after winning or when a contract was about to be up.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #1360
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Does anybody else think this is way out of line? Since when do the Marlins acquire good players? I thought they always just dumped them after winning or when a contract was about to be up.......
The Marlins always acquire good players when the prospects they acquire from each fire sale come together in the majors and perform well. Fills the holes the fire sale didn't fill.

Interesting strategy, but they've proven it is effective in winning games anyway. At the turnstiles on the other hand.....
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1361
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Afraid so. Not sure what Dombrowski is thinking these days. He is still the GM in Detroit, right?

Yes and a pretty good one at that. I'm not really sure why he'd make this I-Rod deal, though. I think the Rangers surplus of catchers are going to be on the move, but not to Detroit. Boston wants Teagarden and I think Laird goes to the Marlins.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #1362
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It is absolutely embarassing that Alex Cora still has a job in MLB. It is even more embarassing that he has taken at-bats from Dustin Pedroia and Jed Lowrie. And triply so that he is a "defensive replacement" who might have worse range than Derek Jeter. I can't wait until Argenis Diaz shows up in September and shows people what a defensive replacement looks like.

The only trade I've heard thus far I'd condone dealing Manny for is Matt Kemp as the centerpiece. "Chemistry" is extremely overrated, at least in baseball. It's a game (other than the occasional DP or fielders calling each other off) that unlike basketball or football is made up entirely of individual match-ups, and no one's going to tank something because they don't like other guys on the field.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #1363
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That Pudge trade scares me, it adds a winner to a team full of talented losers ( minus Jeter).
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #1364
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Kyle Farnsworth???

I can't believe you hand Pudge over to the evil empire for a guy this bad. Yank-me fans rejoice, you got rid of one of your problems and got Pudge.

Seriously, there wasn't anybody else involved? This sounds like the average Yank-me fan's kind of trade.

Ugh
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #1365
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It is absolutely embarassing that Alex Cora still has a job in MLB. It is even more embarassing that he has taken at-bats from Dustin Pedroia and Jed Lowrie. And triply so that he is a "defensive replacement" who might have worse range than Derek Jeter. I can't wait until Argenis Diaz shows up in September and shows people what a defensive replacement looks like.

The only trade I've heard thus far I'd condone dealing Manny for is Matt Kemp as the centerpiece. "Chemistry" is extremely overrated, at least in baseball. It's a game (other than the occasional DP or fielders calling each other off) that unlike basketball or football is made up entirely of individual match-ups, and no one's going to tank something because they don't like other guys on the field.

Supposedly the BoSox were on the "verge" of trading Manny to the Marlins
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #1366
Spree
n00b

Will the Yanks resign Pudge and keep Posada at DH next year? Does this make any sense?
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #1367
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Will the Yanks resign Pudge and keep Posada at DH next year? Does this make any sense?

I have been hearing Posada to 1B.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox are imploding before my eyes.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #1368
Spree
n00b

I think with all these lopsided Yankee trades in the past week that Cashman is saying, "Give us a good deal and we'll favor you when we decided to trade Hughes/Kennedy in the winter."
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #1369
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
I think with all these lopsided Yankee trades in the past week that Cashman is saying, "Give us a good deal and we'll favor you when we decided to trade Hughes/Kennedy in the winter."

You would think the rumored Washburn deal would happen then. Two big trades and no pitching added at all?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #1370
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pudge has an OBP that is nearly the same as Inge, and he's hitting .70 points better then him. I hate Inge, but trust me, Pudge is no longer that good defensivley, and offensivley he's a 260 - 270 hitter if he is playing full time.

Tigs needed a reliever, and got one. They're toast anyway but it made sense to at least get something back of somewhat use.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #1371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a random stat that caught my eye tonight: Texeira & Kotchman combined line with their respective teams: 0 for 9, 7 LOB.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #1372
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just a random stat that caught my eye tonight: Texeira & Kotchman combined line with their respective teams: 0 for 9, 7 LOB.

Yeah, lotta pressure after a trade like that. Both trying to justify it. Teix that he is worth the attention being paid, and Kotch that he is worth being traded for a player like Teix.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #1373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another random note, not good news at all for Tim Hudson.
Hudson facing major elbow surgery | ajc.com

Two doctors who have examined Tim Hudson have advised him to have ligament-transplant elbow surgery, but the Braves pitcher is holding out hope of avoiding the procedure that would force the veteran to miss the rest of this season and most of the 2009 season.

Hudson saw a third doctor, noted orthopedist James Andrews, on Wednesday and was advised to wait at least a week before determining the necessity of ligament-transplant surgery, aka "Tommy John" surgery.

"Gonna see how it feels this week and make a decision," Hudson said in a text message Wednesday night.

A dye-injection MRI exam Monday showed a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow, an injury that typically requires ligament-transplant surgery and a 12-month recovery period.

Hudson was examined by two Braves doctors Monday and Tuesday, and a person familiar with the situation said those doctors advised Hudson to have the surgery. By having the procedure now, he might be able to pitch late in the 2009 season, the last year he's under contract with the Braves.

A Braves spokesman said the team might have an update on Hudson's situation following Wednesday night's game against St. Louis.

Hudson, 33, said Tuesday that he was "floored" when the first doctor who examined him Monday showed him the damage in the ligament.

The right-hander had soreness in the forearm and elbow in his previous start July 23, and the Braves had decided not to risk further injury to their ace because they had fallen so far behind in the standings.

Hudson said he got the MRI only because he was going to be on the disabled list 15 days anyway, and the Braves thought he should get the sophisticated dye-injection exam to rule out problems.

Instead, it revealed a significant problem.

Hudson is 11-7 with a 3.17 ERA in a staff-leading 142 innings, and has a 146-77 career record in 10 seasons with Oakland and the Braves.

The Alabama native is in the third year of a four-year, $47 million contract extension he signed after being traded from Oakland.

He is scheduled to make $13 million in 2009, with a $12 million option for 2010 that's mutual and includes a $1 million buyout.

The Braves did an MRI on Hudson's elbow before they signed him to his extension, an exam that showed only normal wear and tear for a pitcher of his age.

The latest MRI showed something altogether different.

It's the latest in a stunning string of injuries this season for the Braves, who have had four of their opening-day rotation starters on the DL, along with closer Rafael Soriano and setup man Peter Moylan.

Starter John Smoltz accompanied Hudson to Birmingham because Smoltz was due for a checkup of his surgically repaired shoulder by Andrews. That surgery ended Smoltz's season and possibly his career.

Moylan had season-ending "Tommy John" elbow surgery in May.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #1374
MrBug708
Head Coach

So Bay to the Sox, Hermida to the Pirates, and Manny to the Marlins.

I'm not sure the Marlins angle here?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #1375
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bug - where you getting that from?

that a rumor or confirmed?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-30-2008 at 10:32 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #1376
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
bug - where you getting that from?

that a rumor or confirmed?

Not close to confirmed - but see the evolution of the rumors (including that one) here:

Boston Red Sox - Red Sox trade rumors -- the Buzz - Boston.com
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #1377
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thnx molson
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #1378
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Palm Beach Post reports that a "tenative agreement" is in place in the Manny deal.

Kind of an odd deal in my opinion. If the Pirates get Hermidia and Tucker, plus two other decent prospects, I am alright with losing Bay and Grabow. I just don't get the Marlins angle here. Wouldn't it be smarter for them to get two years of Bay's affordable deal over Manny's headaches and huge contract (although I guess they'll get prospects for him after he becomes a FA next season)?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #1379
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The Palm Beach Post reports that a "tenative agreement" is in place in the Manny deal.

Kind of an odd deal in my opinion. If the Pirates get Hermidia and Tucker, plus two other decent prospects, I am alright with losing Bay and Grabow. I just don't get the Marlins angle here. Wouldn't it be smarter for them to get two years of Bay's affordable deal over Manny's headaches and huge contract (although I guess they'll get prospects for him after he becomes a FA next season)?

Is it possible the Marlins pick the $20 million option? Obviously big money for them, but if the Sox are paying the off the contract this year, it averages out to something pretty reasonable for Manny's services (and you still get the draft picks when he leaves after '09).

They could also pick up the option and then trade him. I'm sure the Yankees, Angles, Mets, etc, would also make an offer for 1 full season of Manny at $20 million

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #1380
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Is it possible the Marlins pick the $20 million option? Obviously big money for them, but if the Sox are paying the off the contract this year, it averages out to something pretty reasonable for Manny's services (and you still get the draft picks when he leaves after '09).

They could also pick up the option and then trade him. I'm sure the Yankees, Angles, Mets, etc, would also make an offer for 1 full season of Manny at $20 million

I'm pretty sure that Manny will not waive his 5/10 unless his new team agrees to decline his option. I read that he and Boras believe he can get a 4-year/$100M after this season, but if the Sox (or his new team) pick up his option this year (and I believe there is an additional team option for '10, as well), it will be much harder for him to get another gigantic multiyear deal due to his age. I think the "threat" of the Red Sox picking up his option is what started this whole mess in the first place.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #1381
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

idk if manny gets 4/100 after this year. That'd be $20m a year for ages 37,38,39, and 40. That's pretty pricey, particularly if his knees are hurting (and commensurate with that his power starts to decline)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #1382
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm pretty sure that Manny will not waive his 5/10 unless his new team agrees to decline his option. I read that he and Boras believe he can get a 4-year/$100M after this season, but if the Sox (or his new team) pick up his option this year (and I believe there is an additional team option for '10, as well), it will be much harder for him to get another gigantic multiyear deal due to his age. I think the "threat" of the Red Sox picking up his option is what started this whole mess in the first place.

Good point.

Then I really don't get this trade from the Marlins point of view.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #1383
molson
General Manager

Quote:
idk if manny gets 4/100 after this year. That'd be $20m a year for ages 37,38,39, and 40. That's pretty pricey, particularly if his knees are hurting (and commensurate with that his power starts to decline)

I don't think he'll get close to that.....unless the Yankees overpay
Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #1384
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have been hearing Posada to 1B.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox are imploding before my eyes.
Where's Johnny Damon going to play then?

God I hate playing the Angels. It used to be just in the OC where they killed us, but this series has been an abomination. Weirdly enough, as much as they own us in the regular season, we've swept them in the playoffs twice recently.

The Ramirez situation is impossible to follow. I feel like I've been here - several times - before, and my money's on him being in a Red Sox uniform Friday night. One moment the Florida deal has us getting back Hermida/Willingham and a top prospect (Mike Stanton). The next it has us in a 3-way giving up multiple top prospects and getting back Jason Bay (.90 on the dollar) plus another fucking LOOGY. (If you're worried about the pen, why has Mike Timlin's rotting corpse been there for the last 4 years?) I'm not sure whether it's the media that is trying to fan the anti-Manny flames to sell papers, or the bandwagon fans talking about how this time Manny's gone too far when they have absolutely no idea what's happened behind closed doors piss me off more, but at the base it makes no sense to be building for the future in a year when we have the best Pythag in the AL and 4 legitimate playoff-quality starters. One bad week and people are trying to run one of the top 10 hitters of all-time out of town, when our entire problem in the lineup is that we put 3 black holes out there every night in Tek, Coco and Ellsbury, and 4 when Tito graces us with Alex Cora's presence.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #1385
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually, it would be $25M per year. It seems like a ridiculous amount, but Boras is his agent and it only takes one team who thinks he is the "missing piece."
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #1386
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol you're right - my math is obviously not working well today
Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 AM   #1387
Spree
n00b

Quote:
One bad week and people are trying to run one of the top 10 hitters of all-time out of town

If he was playing in NY, he'd already have been gone 3 years ago with the added media scrutiny. Be grateful you've won 2 titles with him.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #1388
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Its Boston - running its superstars out of town is a tradition.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 AM   #1389
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bay for manny would probably be about an even net for the sox. PNC is shitty for right handers. Whatever slight production they lose will be offset with Jason's good demeanor and decent defense and good baserunning

Plus he's a whitey and that will make the fans happy.

If I were the marlins I would just take bay cause he's still under cubtract next year at a decent rate.

Last edited by stevew : 07-31-2008 at 01:38 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 AM   #1390
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bay for manny would probably be about an even net for the sox. PNC is shitty for right handers. Whatever slight production they lose will be offset with Jason's good demeanor and decent defense and good baserunning

Plus he's a whitey and that will make the fans happy.

If I were the marlins I would just take bay cause he's still under cubtract next year at a decent rate.

That sounds like what might happen. The three names getting bandied about in a FLA <--> BOS trade are now getting bandied about as going to Pittsburgh, while Boston gets Bay and Grabow, and Florida gets Manny with his salary picked up by, probably, Boston.

I'm having a tough time with the idea that Bay + Grabow is worth Manny, because that's what it seems to boil down to.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 AM   #1391
RainMaker
General Manager

How about those Cubbies kicking the crap out of the Brewers this week at Wrigley Field North?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #1392
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How about those Cubbies kicking the crap out of the Brewers this week at Wrigley Field North?

Are you kidding? A-Rod has marital troubles and Manny might be traded, nothing else of consequence is happening in sports right now.

(go cubs)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 AM   #1393
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Are you kidding? A-Rod has marital troubles and Manny might be traded, nothing else of consequence is happening in sports right now.

(go cubs)

Don't forget Brett Favre!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #1394
JeeberD
General Manager

First Randy Wolf, now LaTroy Hawkins?!? What the hell are you doing, Wade?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #1395
Jas_lov
College Starter

Ken Griffey Jr. has been traded to the White Sox if Griffey agrees to the trade!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #1396
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ed Wade is a moron
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #1397
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ken Griffey Jr. has been traded to the White Sox if Griffey agrees to the trade!

I wonder what the Reds are going to get for him, and if it is true I hope he finally gets a ring.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #1398
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
My six year old is going to be crushed.

But I'm sure he'll be okay if we get some young talent in return.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #1399
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
One bad week and people are trying to run one of the top 10 hitters of all-time out of town

Uh, no.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #1400
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Running Manny out of town? Anyone of that opinion has a similar sense of reality that Manny does.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 07-31-2008 at 09:05 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote