Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #1351
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

The overdramatics are getting ridiculous at this point. There's clearly not going to be an elimination of competition in this generation and anyone who suggests that is out of their gourd. However, dismissing the evidence that a changing of the guard could be taking place is equally as baffling.

Very happy we can agree.

The early momentum for PS4 has to be exciting for Sony. Id speculate Microsoft will have some marketing plans of their own. Unless we know what they are it would be hard to dismiss them.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #1352
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Why the fuck is the Playstation Network down for maintenance at 8p EST on fucking Christmas Eve? Why has the fucking Playstation Network been down for maintenance two of the last three times I actually wanted to play a game online?
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1353
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Why the fuck is the Playstation Network down for maintenance at 8p EST on fucking Christmas Eve?

Final prep for the slavering hordes tomorrow morning?

Quote:
Why has the fucking Playstation Network been down for maintenance two of the last three times I actually wanted to play a game online?

Bad timing? Confirmation bias?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #1354
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

8p EST should never be maintenance time. If they couldn't prep the US servers in the middle of the night at some point this week then that points to a decision making issue.

Maybe bad timing, but this seems to go offline for maintenance way more often than any other major videogame service.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #1355
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
8p EST should never be maintenance time. If they couldn't prep the US servers in the middle of the night at some point this week then that points to a decision making issue.

Maybe bad timing, but this seems to go offline for maintenance way more often than any other major videogame service.

The problem with PSN maintenance is that if it is not in US primetime it is in Euro primetime or Japan primetime. There is no good time to take a worldwide service offline.

Taking it offline on Christmas eve seems crazy. They should have done this last week, before the holidays.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #1356
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The problem with PSN maintenance is that if it is not in US primetime it is in Euro primetime or Japan primetime. There is no good time to take a worldwide service offline.

Taking it offline on Christmas eve seems crazy. They should have done this last week, before the holidays.

QFT
Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #1357
gstelmack
Pro Starter

RG3 bought Xbox Ones for his offensive linemen for Christmas | FOX Sports on MSN
Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #1358
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

RG3 always did have problems making good decisions.

/snark
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #1359
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, PSN is getting hammered today. Hopefully it'll settle down tomorrow.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #1360
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I was in the local wal mart today...(btw I needed a drink after that..shutter....if I hadn't had to go out to grab some pepto for my sick teenage son I would have never dared face that trauma...)and apparently there is a shipment of some sort of PS4s and X1 either that or neither are selling very well

There were 6-8 of each visible inside the game cage, and in talking with one of the electronic dept employees ( oddly enough, the son of one of my hgh school girlfriends .. lol) they have "a bunch of both in the back"

How many is "a bunch"?
"easily 25 of each a few more of the Xbox, maybe 35 of them"

So maybe none of them are selling?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #1361
SackAttack
Head Coach

Think it's more likely there was just a big post-Christmas drop. Best Buy had both in stock today when they hadn't had either for a week or two beforehand. Giiiiiiiiiiiant pallet of Xbox Ones up front, signs all over the place calling out PS4 but no obvious displays of them.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like some dates may be leaked. DriveClub coming in late February, likely to coincide with Japan release date. Also, an add listed WatchDogs as a March 21st release date. Not sure that's such a good idea for UbiSoft with the Infamous: Second Son release date in that same time frame. That could end badly for them.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #1363
SackAttack
Head Coach

I, uh, don't think inFamous is the kind of game that crowds other releases out.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #1364
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I, uh, don't think inFamous is the kind of game that crowds other releases out.

If anything it's definitely going to be Infamous suffering from releasing at the same time as Watch Dogs.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #1365
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If anything it's definitely going to be Infamous suffering from releasing at the same time as Watch Dogs.

They're similar game types releasing at the same time. There's no way that both won't see lesser sales than they would expect releasing at the same time just because people have only so many gaming dollars to spend.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #1366
SackAttack
Head Coach

They're only similar in that they're both open world games.

That's a little bit like saying that Grand Theft Auto V would see its sales suffer were it to have released at the same time as Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #1367
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
They're only similar in that they're both open world games.

That's a little bit like saying that Grand Theft Auto V would see its sales suffer were it to have released at the same time as Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

If by a little bit, you mean not at all, then yes. They're far more similar than that comparison.

I could be wrong here too. Perhaps gamers are more thirsty for new games by then. There's a lot of new games and especially exclusives coming in early spring. Perhaps that's the next big boom in game AND console sales as PS4 supply should catch up with supply by then.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1368
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I could be wrong here too.

Your track record suggests that there's more money to be made betting on that than against it.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #1369
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps that's the next big boom in game AND console sales as PS4 supply should catch up with supply by then.

Huh?

Obvious typo aside, reports everywhere seem to indicate a substantial shipment either on or immediately after Christmas and stock availability being a non issue right now for PS4.

But yeah..in 3 months Sony will surely be able to meet demand.

SMH.

Happy New year man....I hope you enjoy your ps4
Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #1370
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If anything I would think that Watchdogs and inFAMOUS releasing in the same window is good for two types of people. People who own PS4 and Microsoft. inFAMOUS is going to be awesome, Watchdogs is going to be awesome. People who own a PS4 can enjoy both if they choose to do so. Microsoft will also probably avoid some of the exclusive backlash from inFAMOUS since I assume most of the videogame media coverage/hype is going to be on Watchdogs which is going to be on both consoles. By all accounts that game has been described as a system seller.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #1371
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I kind of feel bad for inFAMOUS in this spot as well. I love the game, but it isn't going to be a system seller. It's a good exclusive, and if it were to be in a situation where it wasn't going head to head with a game like Watchdogs it could maybe build a larger fanbase. I felt like it was one of the most under-rated series of the 360/PS3 era. It's also a game that if this were 2015 and there was more out there on these consoles would likely do respectable numbers but slip through with little fanfare.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #1372
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Obvious typo aside, reports everywhere seem to indicate a substantial shipment either on or immediately after Christmas and stock availability being a non issue right now for PS4.

But yeah..in 3 months Sony will surely be able to meet demand.

Perhaps this is what you consider ample supply?

Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net

Just for comparison, I'm providing a second example of what fully supplied looks like....

Microsoft Xbox One Pre-Order & In Stock Tracker - Day One Edition Pre-orders Available - NowInStock.net
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1373
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I dont know why I continue to engage this conversation, but you do realize that single website is not the penultimate authority, right?

Or for that matter even have any guarantee of accuracy?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1374
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I dont know why I continue to engage this conversation, but you do realize that single website is not the penultimate authority, right?

Tell me which store out of that is listed as in-stock/out-of-stock that is incorrect. They ping all sites once a minute for stock. Within a minute or two, it's about as good as you can get for checking major retailers (who stock 90% of consoles in the U.S.) as to whether something is available. I'm not sure how much clearer the situation could be in regards to supply.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #1375
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sigh. This got me to check his posts, and of course it looks like it checks for ONLINE stock, not individual store stock (as folks around here keep mentioning, they find them in stores somewhat regularly).

The Xbox ONE Day Ones must be returns or something, because I can promise none of those sites had them in stock back in October.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #1376
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Tell me which store out of that is listed as in-stock/out-of-stock that is incorrect. They ping all sites once a minute for stock. Within a minute or two, it's about as good as you can get for checking major retailers (who stock 90% of consoles in the U.S.) as to whether something is available. I'm not sure how much clearer the situation could be in regards to supply.

Well, if you go to Amazon, they have available consoles from other places, so you can order one. I think it's clear demand for the PS4 is higher right now than for the XBox 1. That said, I've walked into three stores this week which sell consoles and both systems have been in stock at each one of them. (One Best Buy, one Target, one Wal-Mart)

There was no knockout, unrecoverable blow to either console at this point. Sony beat the hell out of MS in marketing. I don't think we'll ever see the dominant market share that Sony had with the PS2 again in the near future. Both companies are making a profit, both systems are selling well and both systems will have must play exclusives. Life is good for consoles. Don't worry, be happy.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #1377
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Well, if you go to Amazon, they have available consoles from other places, so you can order one. I think it's clear demand for the PS4 is higher right now than for the XBox 1. That said, I've walked into three stores this week which sell consoles and both systems have been in stock at each one of them. (One Best Buy, one Target, one Wal-Mart)

There was no knockout, unrecoverable blow to either console at this point. Sony beat the hell out of MS in marketing. I don't think we'll ever see the dominant market share that Sony had with the PS2 again in the near future. Both companies are making a profit, both systems are selling well and both systems will have must play exclusives. Life is good for consoles. Don't worry, be happy.

I walked into 3 stores yesterday and there were XB1's in all 3 (Target, Best Buy, and GameStop) and PS4's in none of them.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #1378
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The thing is, without knowing the supply situation, availability in stores means nothing - Microsoft could be making more consoles.

Eventually we'll get sales figures, and unless it's like 70/30, it won't mean squat.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #1379
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The thing is, without knowing the supply situation, availability in stores means nothing - Microsoft could be making more consoles.

Eventually we'll get sales figures, and unless it's like 70/30, it won't mean squat.

Oh of course - I was saying this same thing to my dad in a conversation earlier.

If I could find a PS4 in a store here I'd pick one up right now.

I'm just opposed to putting my name on some sort of "waiting list" or something and then having to buy it when it comes in.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #1380
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I walked into 3 stores yesterday and there were XB1's in all 3 (Target, Best Buy, and GameStop) and PS4's in none of them.

I have no doubt about that. I think it all depends where you are, what time you enter the stores, etc. I also have zero doubt Sony is winning early. I mean, how could they not? Microsoft pissed people off. They made major mistakes and they paid the price for it. But they won't be blown out of the water. They'll make a run and their exclusives will sell. The Kinect will get a niche group in as well. And if the media technology takes off, who knows?

Either way, we don't have any facts at all on this one. Microsoft might be producing a boatload more consoles than Sony. As someone else said, unless this goes 70/30 to one side, it isn't going to make a bit of difference. In reality, I wish that were the case. Honestly. MS isn't going to give up and just wait 3 to 5 years to recover. They would go nuts spending money on exclusives and game development. It would be better for all of us.

I don't think it'll happen that way though.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #1381
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't trying to argue your point about supply, was just...providing another anecdote.

Shit - I wish I lived in an area where there were PS4's available. I've got...2 GameStops, a Target, a Best Buy, an FYE (For Your Entertainment?), and a WalMart all within like...0.25 miles of my apartment. Aside from never setting foot in the WalMart I'm checking the others at least a couple times a week (it varies depending on what I'm driving by and such of course).
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #1382
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wasn't trying to argue your point about supply, was just...providing another anecdote.

Shit - I wish I lived in an area where there were PS4's available. I've got...2 GameStops, a Target, a Best Buy, an FYE (For Your Entertainment?), and a WalMart all within like...0.25 miles of my apartment. Aside from never setting foot in the WalMart I'm checking the others at least a couple times a week (it varies depending on what I'm driving by and such of course).

If nothing else keep trying Amazon. They randomly find systems to sell during the day.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #1383
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
If nothing else keep trying Amazon. They randomly find systems to sell during the day.

I'd rather not have one shipped to me, that's the thing. That just introduces a whole other perceived failure-point in terms of rough-handling and all (which might just be me being silly yeah, but I dunno).
Old 12-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #1384
SackAttack
Head Coach

You know that they get handled on the way to retail as well, right?

And trust me, having worked in retail, there is nothing UPS/FedEx/etc can do to a console that hasn't already been done to it before you buy it, either by the employees of the store unloading the truck, the warehouse employees LOADING the truck, or shipping to the warehouse before those employees get their hands on them.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #1385
Izulde
Head Coach

Shopko and Walmart in SE Wisconsin had X box 1 but no PS4s. Ditto with a Target and Game stop in Las Vegas

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #1386
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know that they get handled on the way to retail as well, right?

And trust me, having worked in retail, there is nothing UPS/FedEx/etc can do to a console that hasn't already been done to it before you buy it, either by the employees of the store unloading the truck, the warehouse employees LOADING the truck, or shipping to the warehouse before those employees get their hands on them.

Yeah, I know that intellectually. But it's just...I dunno...a hangup.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #1387
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I know that intellectually. But it's just...I dunno...a hangup.

Trust me on this one. I've watched employees toss boxes from the ground to upstock and from upstock to the ground. If anything, they get rougher treatment at retail than they could ever get from mail handling. They might get roughly handled at a sort facility, but they aren't getting chucked up or down 10 feet in elevation.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #1388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I bet.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #1389
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Sigh. This got me to check his posts, and of course it looks like it checks for ONLINE stock, not individual store stock (as folks around here keep mentioning, they find them in stores somewhat regularly).

The Xbox ONE Day Ones must be returns or something, because I can promise none of those sites had them in stock back in October.

Of course it checks for online stock and I've never said otherwise.

Where are people finding them regularly in-store? C'mon now. They're simply not available. Now with that said, Sundays have typically been the restock days in retailers for PS4's thus far, so I'm sure we'll see some reported in the wild today.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #1390
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

2013 UK sales numbers in. Sony outsold MS by roughly a 59/41 split. Even more incredible is that sales numbers for both consoles are record highs for each company for a launch window.

PS4 outsold Xbox One by 166,000 consoles in UK last year | Games industry news | MCV
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #1391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

VGChartz reporting that WiiU outsold X1 worldwide during last week of December. Crazy.

Wii U Outsells Xbox One The Week Before Christmas According To VGChartz - Forbes
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #1392
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Shouldn't be a surprise to most as it has been rumored. MS confirms that they considered a disc-less X1.

News: Microsoft considered removing Xbox One's disc drive - Total Xbox.com
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #1393
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Probably a good news/bad news thing here. It's good that they moved 3M units. However, there's some telling wording in the press release that indicates that PS4 outperformed the X1.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-january-thank-you

Quote:
It’s been incredible to see Xbox One selling at a record-setting pace for Xbox, and we were honored to see Xbox One become the fastest-selling console in the U.S. during our launch month in November.

'Record setting pace for Xbox' means that the PS4 outsold them on release. Had they not, they would have not added the 'for Xbox' qualifier. Also, they continue to use the 'fastest-selling console......in November' verbiage. Nothing in there about how fast it sold during December. And then we have this little gem.......

Quote:
Since our launch, demand for Xbox One has been strong, selling out throughout the holidays at most retailers worldwide. We are continuing to work hard to deliver additional consoles to retailers as fast as possible.

This is just foolish at best. Outside of a money guarantee, this is Jack Tretton in 2007 all over again. The statement implies that they can barely keep up with demand while using words like 'most retailers' and 'as fast as possible' to avoid demonstrating the real situation. There's no question they're oversupplied in the U.S. at this point. Here's the Tretton debacle if you'd like a good chuckle.

http://www.dailytech.com/Sonys+Trett...rticle6050.htm

Meanwhile, the silence from Sony is deafening. They're just letting MS dig away. At some point, they're going to yank out a sales trump card and once again add another PR win to this generation. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the PS4 well ahead of their 5M predicted pace by end of March.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #1394
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

That didn't take long. Sony announces that they have sold 4.2M units through December 28th. They had predicted 3M by end of the year, so they're well ahead of their projections at this point. Roughly a 57/43 margin in favor of PS4 worldwide.

Sony announces PlayStation 4 sales reached 4.2 million by end of 2013 | Joystiq

Also formally announced their new game streaming service for older games. Will be interesting to see what prices they charge for rental/subscriptions........

Sony announces PlayStation Now for streaming older games | Joystiq
Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #1395
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nobody cares.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #1396
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Sales figures, I agree. No one cares.

The 2nd part, Playstation Now, has the potential to be huge. PS1/PS2/PS3 libraries and you don't even need a console? Buy a new Sony TV and potential get access to all three consoles library just by attaching an ethernet cable to your TV? Very interested in hearing the details of that as it gets closer to launch day. Sounds like it could be Playstation's version of videogame Netflix.

(I didn't read that article, so no idea what it says, I read articles on it elsewhere.)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #1397
Kodos
Resident Alien

If that would allow the NCAA football games to be played on the PS4, that would be pretty sweet. Although I would guess that it wouldn't work for online dynasties.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #1398
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If that would allow the NCAA football games to be played on the PS4, that would be pretty sweet. Although I would guess that it wouldn't work for online dynasties.

That won't happen. Their sales of current games would drop quite a bit if sports gamers had the option to go back and play their favorite versions of games considering they have a habit of pulling game modes and then adding them back.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #1399
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They aren't making future versions of NCAA.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #1400
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
They aren't making future versions of NCAA.

But if they put that out, people are going to wait for versions of other games rather than buy the current games. It needs to be a consistent policy: either release them all or none at all.