Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #13901
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
$67! Gotta round up! (lol good deal)

If I do the math:

Retiring a 19" LCD I purchased in 2006 for $340.
Traded in an original Kindle Fire I purchased for $80.
Traded in a tablet my mom gave me.

So if I'm doing real math, I spent 340+80+67 ($487) over the past decade to upgrade to products with retail values of $119 and $169 ($288).

I'm just shocked looking at my past receipts that a 19" TV cost me $340 8 years ago. I would literally not pay that for a brand new TV now, regardless of the size.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #13902
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dirty little secret: I still use CRT's for my desktop and server. I think I've had 2 die on me in 20 years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #13903
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Dirty little secret: I still use CRT's for my desktop and server. I think I've had 2 die on me in 20 years.

I used to have great respect for you
Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #13904
Suicane75
Coordinator

So I look up at HSN2 in the background and they're selling a dermabrush. This girl is using it on her face, just rubbing it all over her face with the biggest smile while soap shoots out of it all over her face. It certainly makes something look like something else.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #13905
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
So I look up at HSN2 in the background and they're selling a dermabrush. This girl is using it on her face, just rubbing it all over her face with the biggest smile while soap shoots out of it all over her face. It certainly makes something look like something else.

a friend posted the other day that her daughter was getting her first facial. really hard to read something like that with a straight face
Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #13906
Easy Mac

And to finish the TV story, It got lost in my spam, but I tried to order 3 times online previously, changing my e-mail address slightly each time using the gmail trick.

Saw last night that Best Buy sent me a $10 promo code for one of my orders being canceled. Searched my e-mail, and found another $10 promo code they sent me. Waiting to see if maybe I got another one. So final cost for the new TV may be $50.83-$30 in gift cards.

Awesomsauce.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #13907
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I used to have great respect for you

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #13908
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet 80% of the hits in the Baseball Sims forum are by my finger accidentally hitting that link instead of Off Topic. It shrinks!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #13909
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

So I just got off the phone with my 68 year old parents, who had some probing questions about the Terrigen Mist and the Inhumans (thanks to the Agents of SHIELD ep this week). After hanging up, my father apparently went back to playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall, if my Steam friends list is any indication.

My 15 year old self would probably not be able to process this information.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #13910
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
changing my e-mail address slightly each time using the gmail trick.

Easy Mac, Can you share said trick? I feel like I am missing something here.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-12-2014 at 06:15 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #13911
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've been busting my ass to clear my work-plate for the week because I was supposed to have a meeting in NYC this afternoon.

Lo and behold as I'm literally standing on the platform as the train is pulling in I get an email from the lady canceling the meeting.

Am I wrong in feeling like I should just stay home and relax? Feel like I've earned it through all the stuff I crammed in earlier in the week.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #13912
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Easy Mac, Can you share said trick? I feel like I am missing something here.

I you have a gmail address, you can add '+whatever' to the part before the @ to make unique addresses that go to your mail account. Example:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All would go to your inbox.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #13913
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Awesomsauce....

Or not. So I tried to use the 3 $10 promo codes on an instore pickup for a soundbar for my dad. Of course, because my store sucks, it was canceled.

So be it. Tried to just order something to ship to me, and I enter the codes and it tells me they are invalid because they have already been used.

Called Best Buy and after 20 minutes, I'm told they can only apply the codes to the item I already ordered if I want to re-order it. The item is no longer available, so I just lose the codes they sent me.

What the hell is that?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #13914
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm surprised that I'm not in more pain from my knee surgery. The happy pills seem to be doing their job. The worst pain is from my gut, due to the, um, 'constipative' effects of oxycodone.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #13915
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I you have a gmail address, you can add '+whatever' to the part before the @ to make unique addresses that go to your mail account. Example:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All would go to your inbox.

Wow...really.
So you have to use the '+' though, right?

So if myname is john brown
And my email is [email protected]
It would be [email protected]
Not [email protected]
Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #13916
cartman
Death Herald

Yeah, you have to put the + sign. Nice and easy!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #13917
PilotMan
Head Coach

after last year's shitty winter (and full garage) I'm happy to report that a successful garage cleaning has taken place and my car once again has a warm home for the winter. WOOT!

Like Steam?

Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #13918
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Wow...really.
So you have to use the '+' though, right?

So if myname is john brown
And my email is [email protected]
It would be [email protected]
Not [email protected]

Also if you ever run into anything that doesn't accept something with + in it as a valid email address you can also use periods. Some sites will view addresses with periods as different, so both [email protected] is different from [email protected], but Google ignores periods in email addresses so they're both sent to the same account.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #13919
PilotMan
Head Coach

Seriously frustrated tonight as I was getting ready to hang our new tv in our bedroom and I found out that the mount I got won't work, because the wall we are hanging it on has 24in studs not 16in. Grrr. Now I've had to order a new one, wait for it to be here next week and drive 30 miles to return the one I got this week.

Like Steam?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #13920
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously frustrated tonight as I was getting ready to hang our new tv in our bedroom and I found out that the mount I got won't work, because the wall we are hanging it on has 24in studs not 16in. Grrr. Now I've had to order a new one, wait for it to be here next week and drive 30 miles to return the one I got this week.

Get a 1" thick 3'x2' board and sink that into the studs, paint it, then mount into that with toggle bolts.

Last edited by stevew : 12-13-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #13921
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Or pick up one stud and toggle the other side.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #13922
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, I don't feel confident given the weight of the mount plus the television and the expense of the tv.

Like Steam?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #13923
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, you have to put the + sign. Nice and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Also if you ever run into anything that doesn't accept something with + in it as a valid email address you can also use periods. Some sites will view addresses with periods as different, so both [email protected] is different from [email protected], but Google ignores periods in email addresses so they're both sent to the same account.

thanks guys!
Good info I never knew.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #13924
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I don't feel confident given the weight of the mount plus the television and the expense of the tv.

I think you're maybe overthinking it, I had a 2000(at the time) LCD that weighed about 80lbs toggle mounted on a fascade fireplace to a 1" ply for like 5 years and it didn't budge at all.

But obviously your call.

Last edited by stevew : 12-14-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #13925
Dutch
"Dutch"

The ability to selectively mute internet sound while listening to music and surfing the web is a godsend.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #13926
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think you're maybe overthinking it, I had a 2000(at the time) LCD that weighed about 80lbs toggle mounted on a fascade fireplace to a 1" ply for like 5 years and it didn't budge at all.

But obviously your call.

Yeah, I'm putting a full motion mount up so it's going to see a lot of movement. The tv is 49" and isn't super heavy but you have to figure extended out and all the swivel I just want to see it mounted into the stud.

Like Steam?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #13927
cartman
Death Herald

If ignorance of the the law isn't a valid defense, and ignorance is bliss, does that mean that there are a bunch of extremely happy people sitting around in jail with no idea why they're there?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #13928
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I'm putting a full motion mount up so it's going to see a lot of movement. The tv is 49" and isn't super heavy but you have to figure extended out and all the swivel I just want to see it mounted into the stud.

There is a whole lot of physics calculations to all this, but Steve's way is actually stronger than mounting to a stud.

If you screw a lag bolt through the mount into the stud the gravitational forces are limited to the contact bolt contact surface area. All of the weight is distributed along the screw face of those 4 points.

If however you screw a "backer board" to the studs and then toggle to the backer board. The same pull weight plus the weight of the board (negligible) is distributed along the same 4 lag bolt surfaces PLUS the much larger surface area the the four toggle heads across the back of the backer.

When I did home tech and we first started hanging TVs, the industry standard was cutting a notch in the sheet rock and recessing a piece of mrine grade ply direct to the studs.

Just an FYI, certainly do what you feel comfortable with, but from a pure Physics stand point Steve's suggestion is not only adequate its actually superior.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #13929
Suicane75
Coordinator

In my 11 years of owning this computer, I just authored my first DVD. I'm learning!!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #13930
sabotai
General Manager

They really need to standardize the way the tops of spice bottles work. Either make them all tops that unscrew or all with tops that flip open. Seriously...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #13931
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I just paid off the last couple payments (4 months) of my car loan today as a lump-sum "Merry Christmas" to myself (since family isn't really doing Christmas this year we've decided).

Had 0% APR on it, but it was also linked to auto-pay from a bank-account that I'm phasing out/closing down, so rather than take the time to link it to the new one for all of 4 payments I figured I'd just dip into the savings and wipe it out.

So that'll be a few more $$ staying in ye olde bank account each month moving forward.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #13932
sabotai
General Manager

Every car I've had was a used car that I just paid in full ($2k-$5k range), until this last one. I wanted a newer car and severely underestimated how much of a weight around my neck a car loan would be. I have just under $8k left on it (I'm way ahead of schedule for paying it off) and can't wait to be rid of it. I have thought about just paying it off completely, but if I did that and then something major came up, I'd be in a serious financial shit hole. Once it's down to $4k-5k I'll be able to pull the trigger and be car loan free again.

Last edited by sabotai : 12-19-2014 at 05:28 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #13933
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Every car I've had was a used car that I just paid in full ($2k-$5k range), until this last one. I wanted a newer car and severely underestimated how much of a weight around my neck a car loan would be. I have just under $8k left on it (I'm way ahead of schedule for paying it off) and can't wait to be rid of it. I have thought about just paying it off completely, but if I did that and then something major came up, I'd be in a serious financial shit hole. Once it's down to $4k-5k I'll be able to pull the trigger and be car loan free again.

I knew going into it I shouldn't have bought a new car, but I wanted a particular set of options and I also figured that I'm the type of person to drive it into the ground and given how much I drive it should easily last me essentially forever (until it's technologically obsolete), so I went ahead and did it.

Nice to be done with paying it every month though!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #13934
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I had DirecTV installed(again) the other day and the guys took forever and I eventually conked out on the couch(I work late nights). Anyways, I have no idea why it took them so long as I could have done it in like 15 minutes or less. Well, a few days later I turn over the remote in the living room, and it's labeled "Master Bedroom" instead of "Living Room". Well played.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #13935
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty bad when you buy a ton of stuff from Pizza Hut and the worst thing you get is the actual pizza. Pan crust so soggy it's gross. Maybe it will be good on the reheat.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #13936
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just watched Home Alone again. Thoughts I had during the movie:

1. Catherine O'Hara was probably better looking than I gave her credit for.

2. I miss John Candy.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #13937
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola -

Thoughts watching Polar Express: this movie and its uncanny valley still freak me the hell out.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #13938
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Dola -

Thoughts watching Polar Express: this movie and its uncanny valley still freak me the hell out.

That whole movie has a strange vibe
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #13939
korme
Go Reds

Came home from my Mom's to find this card in my door.. this smells like my friend's work.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #13940
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

seems legit
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #13941
PilotMan
Head Coach

2 legit?

Like Steam?

Old 12-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #13942
Suicane75
Coordinator

The heart smiley face is creeping me out. I don't think it's the work of a lady.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #13943
Dutch
"Dutch"

The distance from Santa Monica, CA to Laguna Beach, CA is the same distance as from sea level to outer space. (~62 miles)
Old 12-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #13944
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The distance from Santa Monica, CA to Laguna Beach, CA is the same distance as from sea level to outer space. (~62 miles)

I would like to go to Santa Monica, Laguna Beach and outer space.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #13945
Easy Mac

Facebook sent me a notification asking me if I wanted to be friends with the guy who my sister left my brother-in-law for.

If by friend you mean "punch him in his fat face repeatedly," then yes, I would like to be friends with him.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #13946
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would like to go to Santa Monica, Laguna Beach and outer space.

Ha!

BTW, I think I should have said, "Santa Monica to Laguna Beach and Santa Monica to outerspace are the same distance."

Last edited by Dutch : 12-26-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #13947
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Ha!

BTW, I think I should have said, "Santa Monica to Laguna Beach and Santa Monica to outerspace are the same distance."

Most of us consider anywhere in California as outer space.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #13948
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't care what anyone says. The best Batman has been and always will be Adam West.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #13949
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sam Ponder looks a little like Eliza Coupe.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #13950
rowech
Pro Starter

My baseball cards might be worth less than what they are stored in. Curse the people who got kids thinking the way they did in the late 80s and then took advantage.

Last edited by rowech : 12-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote