Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #13801
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why is Tombstone held in such regard by people? Yes Kilmer is great but otherwise this movie is a melodramatic piece of shit.

I watched this movie for the first time a few years back and was left scratching my head for the same reasons. Costumes and scenery were like an SNL skit. How it could come out around the same time as Unforgiven and still make a positive name for itself I'll never know.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #13802
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Why is Tombstone held in such regard by people? Yes Kilmer is great but otherwise this movie is a melodramatic piece of shit.

It's really entertaining. Yeah, there is a lot of melodrama, but it's part of the charm.

I still love that rant that Dana Delaney goes on after they kill Billy Zane about how he tried to bring something "beautiful" into their ugly world and they killed him for it.

It's really all Val Kilmer. His performance is pretty much that good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #13803
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

2nd in overall points in my fantasy league, and we're 5-5 this year. Just horrid luck.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #13804
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
2nd in overall points in my fantasy league, and we're 5-5 this year. Just horrid luck.

I've got you beat. First in points, but 5-5. Although according to my yahoo write-up after this weeks loss, four of my losses have occurred when the other team has scored their highest total of the season, so at least I've got that going for me.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #13805
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I watched this movie for the first time a few years back and was left scratching my head for the same reasons. Costumes and scenery were like an SNL skit. How it could come out around the same time as Unforgiven and still make a positive name for itself I'll never know.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It seemed comically low budget and had some major 3rd act issues.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:02 AM   #13806
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

We need a FOFC Euchre championship
Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #13807
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking. It seemed comically low budget and had some major 3rd act issues.

I wouldn't sweat it... that 2 hours of your life is water under the bridge now.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #13808
Easy Mac

Why do I have to have a fire drill for work? We work on the 12th floor of a 18 floor building.

I'm 32 years old. I've been doing these drills for 27 years.

If I haven't figured out how to walk out of a building by now, I probably don't deserve to be alive.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #13809
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They have been tearing up the streets around my house for the last three or so weeks. I think they are putting in new sewer lines or something. I don't really know. I just know that my corner is, like, ground zero for this entire operation.

They start every weekday promptly at 7 am. Granted, I am usually up by then, but I don't always want to be. It sucks.

What's worse is that it freaks my dog out. Many things freak my dog out, but these "Thunder Machines", as I think he thinks of them, terrify him. Even the sound of their engines now scare him. He spends all morning shaking and slinking around after me like a little black and white shadow. This is less than ideal. So, I've been taking him into his daycare everyday, because leaving him, alone terrified isn't fair.

It's beginning to annoy and based on the condition of the surrounding streets, there is no apparent end in sight.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #13810
Logan
Head Coach

That sucks. We've had a new building going up across from us for a few months now, and construction starts at 7am weekdays and 8am weekends. While it's NYC and pretty typical, it's still annoying. It's nice you can at least bring your dog somewhere else where he feels more comfortable.

BTW, you mentioning your black and white shadow reminded me to post some news on our end. Some of you may remember me posting a few months back that we put one of our cats to sleep. A couple weeks ago, we adopted a new kitten so our other cat had a buddy to hang out with.

Meet Melvin:

He's a real peanut at about 3.5 lbs. We got him at 11 weeks old. The first couple days, Hank was not a fan and there was a lot of hissing but they bonded really quickly and now they play together all the time. Melvin also chases Hank around the apartment, and Hank gets scared of this little thing that he outweighs by about 500%.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #13811
korme
Go Reds

I enjoyed this.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #13812
Kodos
Resident Alien

Faceplanted on the sidewalk this morning after catching my foot on the curb. The pride is usually hurt more than the body in those situations. No actual injuries, although I think I'm going to be sore.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #13813
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And here's what's happening in your neck of the woods
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #13814
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Logan,
Melvin is adorable!!!!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #13815
PilotMan
Head Coach

Had the shittiest landing in years in Newark yesterday after a flight in from Bermuda. After all these years one thing I've been able to do is be super consistent in my landings. It's amazing how 1 bad landing can get into your head. Even after seeing plenty of other pilots plow it on, you know, it is what it is and you aren't supposed to think about it any more.

Luckily for me, I was able to get back on it today with a very soft landing today in San Francisco. I typically wouldn't even think about it, but if I had blown it today I don't know what I'd have done.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #13816
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Had the shittiest landing in years in Newark yesterday after a flight in from Bermuda. After all these years one thing I've been able to do is be super consistent in my landings. It's amazing how 1 bad landing can get into your head. Even after seeing plenty of other pilots plow it on, you know, it is what it is and you aren't supposed to think about it any more.

Luckily for me, I was able to get back on it today with a very soft landing today in San Francisco. I typically wouldn't even think about it, but if I had blown it today I don't know what I'd have done.

It wasn't you. Everything in Newark is shitty.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #13817
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Newark landings suck.

I don't think I've ever had a "good" landing there, so don't feel bad man. Not sure what about it it is (I imagine you could probably offer a good guess).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-13-2014 at 09:54 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #13818
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

What do you mean "bad landing" - you hit the deck hard? I'd take that any day over a "go-around". Had one of those (again) last month. I know they're fairly common, but they're still nerve-wracking.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #13819
PilotMan
Head Coach

No, I know it was all me. Lol, I had 1 passenger say "wow that was a really hard landing." I wanted to say "fuck off, just be happy you're here." But I stood there, smiled and took credit for it.

Like Steam?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #13820
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, I pulled the power out a little faster than I normally do and started my flare a little late (5 feet instead of 7 or 8) and the result was a very firm, tooth rattling landing. There was a pretty good crosswind, but it really didn't effect me.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #13821
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Newark landings suck.

I don't think I've ever had a "good" landing there, so don't feel bad man. Not sure what about it it is (I imagine you could probably offer a good guess).

I've never eally had an issue there, and I have probably flown in and out of there 100 times or so.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #13822
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Getting my car serviced and the Steve Wilkos show is on. My goodness.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #13823
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I've never eally had an issue there, and I have probably flown in and out of there 100 times or so.

Aaah. Well for whatever reason (small sample size?) I've never had as nice a landing there as I typically have elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #13824
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #13825
molson
General Manager

Quote:
No, I know it was all me. Lol, I had 1 passenger say "wow that was a really hard landing." I wanted to say "fuck off, just be happy you're here." But I stood there, smiled and took credit for it.

I've always found that walk past the pilot after a flight to be a little awkward for some reason. But I usually try to kind of smile and say thanks. I bet you've had some strange exchanges with people there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #13826
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've always found that walk past the pilot after a flight to be a little awkward for some reason. But I usually try to kind of smile and say thanks. I bet you've had some strange exchanges with people there.

The guy that was our Chief Pilot was a guy who flew MD80s for American for some ungodly number of hours. He started working for us because he hit the age limit for the big guys, and at that time he was still eligible to fly for small commuter airlines.

He told us a story about one time he was flying from LA to Midland/Odessa in the early 80s, and as they came in for landing, he got on the intercom and said "We are starting our approach to Midland. If you look out the window, you'll see Texas, which some people consider God's country. But I think he has forsaken this part." He said the FO turned to him pale as a ghost, and couldn't believe he had said that. After landing, they exited the cockpit and he said one of the biggest, meanest looking passengers approached him and said "Yep, Texas is God's country. Thanks for letting all of the other passengers know!" Evidently after he said "God's country" a bunch of people cheered, and they didn't hear the 'forsaken' part.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #13827
cartman
Death Herald

Dola, that reminded me of another story of his. He said it was customary at the time for new flight attendants to spend some time in the cockpit, so see the pilot's side of things. There was a brand new flight attendant, just out of high school. Stereo-typically small, cute and blond. It was dusk, and he mentioned what a beautiful sunset it was. The new flight attendant replied "wow, I've never seen a sunset before". Both the captain and FO turned to her and at the same time and asked "What?". She said she had grown up on the East Coast, and you can only see sunsets on the West Coast or up in a plane. After she left the cockpit, he turned to his FO and said "Some guy is gonna think he has himself quite a catch someday".
Old 11-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #13828
PilotMan
Head Coach

I heard of a pilot getting some days off after referring to Sarasota as "God's waiting room" in his PA. smh

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #13829
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

You get all kinds of things from "good landing" after an awful landing, to crickets after a landing where you didn't even know you were on the ground till the brakes kicked in. I've been yelled at after a wind shear go around because the passenger thought we were hot dogging it. I've been ignored more than anything except the simple thanks, bye. I just like to see smiling faces and get the impression that people had a good experience. I want them to come back, they make it possible for me to keep my job.

Cartman's right. Hard or not, we're here and in one piece and will live see our families and land better another day.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #13830
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola, that reminded me of another story of his. He said it was customary at the time for new flight attendants to spend some time in the cockpit, so see the pilot's side of things. There was a brand new flight attendant, just out of high school. Stereo-typically small, cute and blond. It was dusk, and he mentioned what a beautiful sunset it was. The new flight attendant replied "wow, I've never seen a sunset before". Both the captain and FO turned to her and at the same time and asked "What?". She said she had grown up on the East Coast, and you can only see sunsets on the West Coast or up in a plane. After she left the cockpit, he turned to his FO and said "Some guy is gonna think he has himself quite a catch someday".

That's a good one. I had a buddy of mine really prank a new flight attendant. He told her she needed to do an ozone check once they got cruise. She ran up and down the aisle with a trash bag to "catch" all the air in the cabin, then tied it up for evaluation later on the ground. When she found out she'd been had she didn't speak to him the rest of the trip. The passengers gave her some strange looks and some got the joke and laughed while congratulating him for the prank.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #13831
cartman
Death Herald

We were trying to take out of Abilene, TX once, and the winds kept changing. It was the damnedest thing. We were ready to take off, but the wind did a 180. So we taxied down to the other end of the runway. Just as we were ready to take off, the wind did a 180 again. So back to the other end of the runway we went. And, on cue, the wind shifted again.

This was on an 8 passenger plane, so there was no divider between the pilots and passengers. After the captain announced we were going to have to taxi to the other end yet again, one of the passengers yelled out "God damn it, just take off already! I have a meeting in a hour I have to be at". The pilot looked back, and asked the man if he had flown kites as a kid. He said yeah, he did. The pilot asked him what happened if you ran into the wind with the kite, and he replied it flew. He then asked him what happened when you ran with the wind. The guy didn't answer, and didn't say anything the rest of the flight.

This was the same captain from the two stories above. He was awesome.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #13832
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was in a similar situation (my back to the pilot on a small military passenger plane) and you hear a (stall) warning....and I turn and ask, "Hey, what's that warning mean" and he responds..."Not now...busy!". So natural I think we are going to crash....

When we land he says that happens alot with strong headwinds...and trying to land....it fakes the planes computer out...or something like that...he also told me it was just more fun to let me sweat it out.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #13833
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I feel like I used to be so much better at changing diapers. I used to be a ninja, now it seems like I get poop on my hands at least every other time.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #13834
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I feel like I used to be so much better at changing diapers. I used to be a ninja, now it seems like I get poop on my hands at least every other time.

This is probably a good sign that you need to stop volunteering at family restrooms.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #13835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
This is probably a good sign that you need to stop volunteering at family restrooms.

Not really volunteering when its your 18 month old with a steaming load in her pants
Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #13836
cartman
Death Herald

The word 'eighth' just doesn't pass the eye test. That is the spelling, but it just doesn't look correct.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #13837
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Not really volunteering when its your 18 month old with a steaming load in her pants

Oh trust me, I know...I was angling at the entertaining possibility that it wasn't your kids, just for fun.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #13838
PilotMan
Head Coach

Beats changing your mom with a steaming load in her pants. Not that I would know. It just does.

Like Steam?

Old 11-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #13839
Logan
Head Coach

My wife just sent me an email with "no pressure but..." in the subject and a link to an ovulation calculator and now I'm seeing spots.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #13840
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My wife just sent me an email with "no pressure but..." in the subject and a link to an ovulation calculator and now I'm seeing spots.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #13841
Easy Mac

EA Origin must have a horrible password protection plan.

I for some reason have an account for an old Counterstrike game I'm not sure I ever played.

My account has been hacked 6 times in the past 2 months. I've literally random passworded it with a random security code. Still somehow gets hacked. I'm in the process of closing it now.

Maybe someone got a hold of my password file I keep in the cloud, but I find it odd they're only hacking my origin account that I have no credit card account in.

My only thinking is they use the EA chat to social engineer their way into my account... but to what end?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #13842
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Reply "unsubscribe"
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #13843
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

I sure hope your email was in the To: section and not the Cc: section.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #13844
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Reply "unsubscribe"

Quote:
I sure hope your email was in the To: section and not the Cc: section.

Thankfully there is actually no pressure as it's still a little ways away, but at the same time I really did see spots for a few minutes. It's all just crazy to think about.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #13845
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've said this before (I think) but ... there are just some places where I truly wonder how the town/city/area manages to exist at all, such is the consistent level of mind-numbing ignorance & general incompetence.

I really have to work hard here not to identify Shreveport, LA by name in this rant.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #13846
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've said this before (I think) but ... there are just some places where I truly wonder how the town/city/area manages to exist at all, such is the consistent level of mind-numbing ignorance & general incompetence.

I really have to work hard here not to identify Shreveport, LA by name in this rant.

Having a large military installation close by greatly helps the coffers and the cash allows a large cushion.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #13847
cartman
Death Herald

From a friend's Facebook post:

Quote:
When your son asks you if you know the moral to "The Tortoise and the Hare" you aren't supposed to say "Small sample sizes can give you inaccurate data"?
Lesson learned
Old 11-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #13848
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's golden!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #13849
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Quote:
Having a large military installation close by greatly helps the coffers and the cash allows a large cushion.

That certainly helps, I was stationed there, but lived in Bossier City as did most of the military folks.

Shreveport's got a lot of "old money" from the oil days, so that probably adds to the stupidity levels somehow.

Casino's are still big there as are the dog tracks which attract visitors from quite a distance to the local area. And it's also an amazing hub for some great regional food...Texas steaks, Cajun, Creole, Tennessee/Missouri BBQ, and southern soul food are all main staples...and don't forget the mudbugs too! So predominantly I believe it's an entertainment and food services town.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #13850
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I MUST find some way to work this into a conversation!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote