Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #13651
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
We need to find and kill those responsible for letting the Brown Marmolated Stink Bug into this country. These asshole bugs have way more impact on my d2d life than Isis could ever dream about.

Yeah. I don't think I knew these things existed a couple of years ago.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #13652
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
We need to find and kill those responsible for letting the Brown Marmolated Stink Bug into this country. These asshole bugs have way more impact on my d2d life than Isis could ever dream about.

No shit. Friday for whatever reason they were all over the back and one side of the house. Looking outside you'd see 5-10 on each window.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #13653
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I put a shop vac on my back porch and put in a few inches of soapy water. Body count from 2 days is probably 30-40 already
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #13654
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can never really appreciate the saying silence is golden until you have had kids.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #13655
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

When I am in public and one of my kids is freaking out and I am disciplining them for something and they are screaming mommy I often wonder if any strangers think I'm kidnapping them.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #13656
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
When I am in public and one of my kids is freaking out and I am disciplining them for something and they are screaming mommy I often wonder if any strangers think I'm kidnapping them.

I guarantee you most of them are wondering what they did to deserve this (themselves, not the kid, that is), and if being there is worth it or not and if they would just be better off leaving immediately.

Last edited by Radii : 09-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #13657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Booking my vacation for next year:

Flights to Las Vegas - FREE (US Air points)
Stays in St. George, Moab and Las Vegas at Marriott hotels - FREE (Marriott points)
Rental Car for over a week and hotel stays in Kenab and Torrey - $700

An opportunity to visit 6 national parks in a week with my wife and my teenage son - PRICELESS!!!

This was my thinking when my wife and I went to Russia last year. I picked up some really nice credit card point starting bonuses for Marriott and United miles, did some spends to bulk up those miles on said cards, and then got about $4500 in travel (10 nights at about $200-$250 per night and 2 Singapore Air flights) for "free". When you can convert those points to real dollars not fake ones, it's pretty rewarding.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #13658
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sometimes I'll look at random strangers and wonder how long it has been since they have had sex.
Quote:
This. All the time.

Meanwhile, this has never crossed my mind in all of my people watching but I suspect now it will. (tho I'm really not sure what I'd be looking for)

SI

Old 09-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #13659
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I love the second line

That said, I had never heard of these until this and now I've wiki'd them. It fits into another of the long line of "what kind of ecological hellhole is Asia that every single new crazy parasite comes from there and almost all of them have a parasitic wasp that tries to kill it". I realize the answer is that most of these things are kept in check over there and have evolved over thousands and millions of years but couldn't hit the land bridge until we could stupidly bring them over here

SI

Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #13660
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fuck lazy doctors.

My mom's had a myriad of back problems in recent history. Several weeks ago, her back flares up again. Goes to doctor. Says just a pulled muscle. Pain pills, blah blah. She hasn't been eating, still in pain. Goes again. They FINALLY do an x-ray (they ran like zero tests the first time). Say she re-aggravated her vertebrae injury from a few years ago. Bed rest, pain pills.

Still in pain. Still not eating, though she switches meds and can finally get down some food. Wakes up last night throwing up, dad takes her to the doctor again. Gee, they actually run tests. She's had a kidney infection this entire god damn time.

How does it seriously take a fucking month & 4 visits to the doctor to diagnose a kidney infection.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-29-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #13661
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Fuck lazy doctors.

My mom's had a myriad of back problems in recent history. Several weeks ago, her back flares up again. Goes to doctor. Says just a pulled muscle. Pain pills, blah blah. She hasn't been eating, still in pain. Goes again. They FINALLY do an x-ray (they ran like zero tests the first time). Say she re-aggravated her vertebrae injury from a few years ago. Bed rest, pain pills.

Still in pain. Still not eating, though she switches meds and can finally get down some food. Wakes up last night throwing up, dad takes her to the doctor again. Gee, they actually run tests. She's had a kidney infection this entire god damn time.

How does it seriously take a fucking month & 4 visits to the doctor to diagnose a kidney infection.

A month ago my wife was in the hospital for 5 days due to a massive kidney infection that basically shut down her kidneys and the infection moved into her heart. It took massive doses of antibiotics to combat.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #13662
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
A month ago my wife was in the hospital for 5 days due to a massive kidney infection that basically shut down her kidneys and the infection moved into her heart. It took massive doses of antibiotics to combat.

Man I guess that puts the kidney infection I had into fucking perspective.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #13663
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I love the second line

That said, I had never heard of these until this and now I've wiki'd them. It fits into another of the long line of "what kind of ecological hellhole is Asia that every single new crazy parasite comes from there and almost all of them have a parasitic wasp that tries to kill it". I realize the answer is that most of these things are kept in check over there and have evolved over thousands and millions of years but couldn't hit the land bridge until we could stupidly bring them over here

SI

Played ghost busters with my shopvac and got well beyond 30 on my back porch alone. I've been swarmed before by one while sleeping.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #13664
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Meanwhile, this has never crossed my mind in all of my people watching but I suspect now it will. (tho I'm really not sure what I'd be looking for)

SI

Simple questions

1. What does the person look like who would sex this person up?
2. How desperate do his or her eyes look?
3. Is he or she wearing a wedding ring?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #13665
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Reminds me of the joke where a guy was sitting on a bus, and an attractive girl asks him if he wouldn't mind giving up his seat to a pregnant woman. He says, "no, please take my seat". He looked at her again, and asked, "I'm sorry to intrude, but how far along are you?" She replied, "Oh, about 45 minutes or so."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #13666
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Simple questions

1. What does the person look like who would sex this person up?
2. How desperate do his or her eyes look?
3. Is he or she wearing a wedding ring?

1 and 3 for sure.

Age also factors in, do they have kids with them, etc... Are they on a date, dressed up, maybe in line at Starbucks wearing sweats looking like it was a rough night.

Lots of stuff factors in. Its a fun little game.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-29-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #13667
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
1 and 3 for sure.

Age also factors in, do they have kids with them, etc... Are they on a date, dressed up, maybe in line at Starbucks wearing sweats looking like it was a rough night.

Lots of stuff factors in. Its a fun little game.

Guys, Lathum needs Werewolf to come back something bad.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #13668
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #13669
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Reminds me of the joke where a guy was sitting on a bus, and an attractive girl asks him if he wouldn't mind giving up his seat to a pregnant woman. He says, "no, please take my seat". He looked at her again, and asked, "I'm sorry to intrude, but how far along are you?" She replied, "Oh, about 45 minutes or so."

I've always heard it as "45 minutes...and I'm exhausted! "
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #13670
MrBug708
Head Coach

Everytime I type in ESPN.com, I get ESPNdeportes.

What. The. Hell
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #13671
korme
Go Reds

Toilet paper was such a clutch invention
Old 10-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #13672
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I got the strangest look today when I ordered an Irish Coffee. The bartender asked me if I wanted Bailey's or Kahulua. I told her I wanted Jameson. She looked at me like I was fucking insane.

I understand it's served with Bailey's a lot these days. But c'mon, you've never even HEARD of a proper Irish Coffee?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #13673
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I got the strangest look today when I ordered an Irish Coffee. The bartender asked me if I wanted Bailey's or Kahulua. I told her I wanted Jameson. She looked at me like I was fucking insane.

I understand it's served with Bailey's a lot these days. But c'mon, you've never even HEARD of a proper Irish Coffee?

Any chance she was asking if you wanted Bailey's or Kahlua as the "cream" to go with the Jameson?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #13674
korme
Go Reds

I was just on the 'WHAT?' listener call-in segment on SVP & Russillo.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #13675
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Any chance she was asking if you wanted Bailey's or Kahlua as the "cream" to go with the Jameson?

Yeah, I usually do jameo with a smidge of Bailey's.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #13676
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

No, she was all set to make it just coffee & bailey's. Which, ew.

Whiskey + Bailey's + Coffee, no problem. But yeah, whiskey was never part of the equation for her.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-02-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #13677
Suicane75
Coordinator

I can't be the only heterosexual man on the planet who fantasizes about dressing up as Wonder Woman sometimes.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #13678
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This came to me in the MLB thread, regarding how the NBA "does it right" for game length vs. baseball. Someone commented that the last minute or two of an NBA game takes approx. 20-30 mins.

Anyhoo - I HATE how in the NBA you can call timeout after the opponent makes a basket and then take the throw-in from the opponent's side of the court. Makes no sense to me.

Thank you.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #13679
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
This came to me in the MLB thread, regarding how the NBA "does it right" for game length vs. baseball. Someone commented that the last minute or two of an NBA game takes approx. 20-30 mins.

Anyhoo - I HATE how in the NBA you can call timeout after the opponent makes a basket and then take the throw-in from the opponent's side of the court. Makes no sense to me.

Thank you.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't like basketball. The excessive timeouts and length of the ends of very close games just completely sucks the excitement out of it for me.

The last minute of a close game should be frantic and intense like hockey.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #13680
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

Thank you.

It would be one thing if they did it that way in college, and then the NBA did it from 3/4 court or even the baseline. But how could you argue making the professional game easier than the college version? I agree, it's ridiculous.

That just made me think: if the NBA wants to keep it that way, how about this? If you call timeout after a made basket, you get the ball at the baseline. Want it at midcourt? It costs two timeouts. That would also cut down on the number of stoppages that extend the game forever.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #13681
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't like basketball. The excessive timeouts and length of the ends of very close games just completely sucks the excitement out of it for me.

The last minute of a close game should be frantic and intense like hockey.

Oh that is the reason you don't like basketball because of timeouts at the end of games? Just be truthful and say that you're salty because more people get enjoyment out of that than puck.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #13682
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The NBA does a poor job of explaining the rules of the final 2 minutes. They need a graphic on screen. I'd also limit teams to two timeouts in the final minute. Don't call it a "20 second" timeout if it lasts a minute. Reduce free throw tines to 7 seconds. Allow teams to bypass non shooting free throws and take the possession on the side. If you allow half court advance, reduce the length of the timeouts.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #13683
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The last two minutes of the game is one of the reasons I stopped watching the NBA like 15 years ago. The end of the game seems fundamentally broken. Too many games eventually end in the foul/free-throw dance, which is not only boring, but also gives the NBA's questionable refereeing way too much influence on the result of close games.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #13684
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The crazy thing about the end game is the NBA already has a rule to fix this, the intentional foul. By definition everyone of those endgame fouls is an intentional foul.

Give the opposing team 2 shots and the ball and watch them stop and watch the end of the game make sense again.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #13685
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Allow teams to bypass non shooting free throws and take the possession on the side.

Ding ding ding.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #13686
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess I like the pro game better cause it doesn't have the 1 and 1 idiocy which turns into even more idiocy than the time warp half court advance rule. klosterman has a great article about the advance rule if you hate it. I'd look it up.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #13687
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The last two minutes of the game is one of the reasons I stopped watching the NBA like 15 years ago. The end of the game seems fundamentally broken. Too many games eventually end in the foul/free-throw dance, which is not only boring, but also gives the NBA's questionable refereeing way too much influence on the result of close games.

Jordan retired 15 years ago... coincidence?
Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #13688
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Jordan retired 15 years ago... coincidence?

Probably not. I think I stopped watching because of a particular incident/game, though I can't recall the specifics and it wasn't something sensational, I just remember getting into a heated argument with a friend, and realizing hours/days into it that I was arguing passionately about how the game was officiated, rather than how it was played. I realized that the majority of the time when an NBA game ended I was frustrated and annoyed by the end-game or the officiating, rather than appreciating any other part of the game, and eventually asked myself "Why even bother?", to which no answer came.

...but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that gameplay and officiating in the NBA had changed drastically as a result of Michael Jordan playing in the league, and when he left those changes stuck around, and the game morphed a bit to fit those parameters. His absence probably didn't directly effect my choice as much as his influence, the immediate void his retirement left, and the wake he left behind.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #13689
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For as much a Southron as I am, sometimes I do wonder: I can't stand grits, I neither hunt nor fish, I think boiled peanuts are gross (no matter how you spell it).

And then I realize that I find talking about college football -- even bottom feeding little sisters of the poor teams -- at least 100x more interesting than any NFL game ever ... and my Southerness is completely reaffirmed.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #13690
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

After these last four days, I think I am giving up on sports and will spend my newly found free time reading, getting in touch with nature, visiting museums, and furthering my appreciation for the arts.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-06-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #13691
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For as much a Southron as I am, sometimes I do wonder: I can't stand grits, I neither hunt nor fish, I think boiled peanuts are gross (no matter how you spell it).

And then I realize that I find talking about college football -- even bottom feeding little sisters of the poor teams -- at least 100x more interesting than any NFL game ever ... and my Southerness is completely reaffirmed.

Well we agree on one thing out of five...not bad.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #13692
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For whatever it is worth.. I agree with your first 4 at least!

I have a hard time with college football though too.. I would
blame it on being a Ga Tech guy with both parents having gone to University of Tennessee and being huge Vols.. but I seem to remember those are your two college teams too.. so I guess I just don't know what my problem is

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #13693
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
JonInMiddleCA?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #13694
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm with you on the hunting and fishing, but no grits or boiled peanuts????
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #13695
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I'm with you on the hunting and fishing, but no grits or boiled peanuts????

Texture turns me off of the former, the sheer stench turns me off the latter.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #13696
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm - I never gave much thought to the smell of boiled peanuts (consistency of the grits, I guess I can see). There's a nut place at the flea market by the in-laws down in Daytona that I make sure to visit*, now that I know about the peanuts. They keep them in a couple of coolers, so I never really smelled them over the roasters. The pound or so that we'd bring back never seemed overpowering.

* last time we didn't get there until the day before we left, and I forgot to unpack them and put them in the fridge following the 13-hour drive home. Still didn't smell, but at that point they were probably a nice bacterial breeding ground. :|
Old 10-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #13697
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
They keep them in a couple of coolers, so I never really smelled them over the roasters.

Now roasted, roasted I love. Both taste & smell.

Boiled? I have to threaten my kid to keep those things away from me. I won't even allow them in my car.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 AM   #13698
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

Love grits. I've hunted, but not in 20+ years. I do fish. I don't think boiled peanuts are gross, but I don't think they're "all that" either. I'll down a few if they're freebies at a restaurant, but I'm pretty sure that I've never paid for 'em.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #13699
Easy Mac

Quote:

Finds out he is actually JonInMiddleGA in disguise
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #13700
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When we go to St. Augustine my family and the in-laws eat pounds of boiled peanuts. My daughter is really picky, but even she eats them by the fist full. My father-in-law's brother makes several pounds and brings them down from Nashville, GA.