Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #1301
The Jackal
Coordinator

Go Hammers though. F United.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #1302
Critch
lolzcat

Man Utd to win. No Champions League for Man City and Man Utd fans sentenced to another season of dull LVG misery. Win-win situation.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #1303
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Go Hammers though. F United.
You're confusing me. F which United? Probably Manchester United and not West Ham United?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #1304
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Man Utd to win. No Champions League for Man City and Man Utd fans sentenced to another season of dull LVG misery. Win-win situation.

sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #1305
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
You're confusing me. F which United? Probably Manchester United and not West Ham United?

The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #1306
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Nah you're not the only one who cares - some of us are slightly peeved by that fact because their teams haven't made it yet and now have to go through the play-offs ...

Haha I completely forgot where your allegiance lies, Marc. That's hilarious. Good luck in the playoffs!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #1307
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FIFPro concerned about first-aid in Romania after Ekeng death
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #1308
AlexB
Pro Starter

West Ham fans making sure people remember them and Upton Park the way it should be remembered
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #1309
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean it is Man United... can you really blame them that much?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #1310
whomario
Pro Starter

Congrats Bayern on the next 4-6 Bundesliga titles, i guess ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #1311
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Even if the team crapped the bed in the final two games, I think LVG stays. As a Man U fan, I just have to hope for a top 4 finish - with Europe making next season a "shit or get off the pot" season for LVG.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #1312
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Boomshakalaka. Love me some West Ham.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #1313
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think we're going to have to rename Borussia Dortmund "Bayern Munich-in-Waiting"

Bayern Munich to sign Dortmund defender Hummels this summer | FOX Sports
Old 05-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #1314
bhlloy
Coordinator

So there is officially nothing to play for on Championship Sunday - possibly for the second year running (can't remember if the relegation places were fixed before the final weekend last year)?

How much do you think NBC are petitioning the Premier League right now for a format change? 10 completely meaningless games over 10 channels can't make them very happy

Last edited by bhlloy : 05-11-2016 at 04:18 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #1315
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, fuck. I guess that whole Newcastle was leaving me cold thing has really hit its final end.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-11-2016 at 04:29 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #1316
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So there is officially nothing to play for on Championship Sunday - possibly for the second year running (can't remember if the relegation places were fixed before the final weekend last year)?

Last Champions League place is still up in the air, IIRC.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #1317
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sure, but they could have shown Man City's epic quest to get a point at Swansea on one channel, not 10
Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #1318
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

People like to see their team play their last game of the season. Sometimes the games on the last day are meaningful, sometimes they aren't. I don't think NBC is going to be all that upset at ratings... I mean what ratings do you think other shows on a Sunday at 10am on Syfy, CNBC, etc. recieve?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #1319
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

If NBC needs some kind of finale drama then they best secure the rights to the FA cup whenever they are next up for bid. The EPL should never change its format. Every match means something ultimately. It's not just some weak-ass way to seed half of the teams for the playoffs.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #1320
Critch
lolzcat

There's also the excitement of whether or not Man Utd can score 4 goals against Bournemouth. If they dont score 4 they'll not reach 50 League goals in a season for the first time in the EPL era. Previous worst was 58, but LVG is a record breaking manager so looks like his team will be smashing that.

Plus there's the excitement of Roberto Martinez's last game as Everton manager.

Last edited by Critch : 05-11-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #1321
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet. Brutal incident here in the States.

Karl Ouimette escapes brutal kick to the back without serious injury | MLSsoccer.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #1322
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Plus there's the excitement of Roberto Martinez's last game as Everton manager.

Apparently not, he didn't make it to the last game. He's been fired.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #1323
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I think we're going to have to rename Borussia Dortmund "Bayern Munich-in-Waiting"

Bayern Munich to sign Dortmund defender Hummels this summer | FOX Sports

And they rebound by signing a gem on the cheap. Ousmane dembele.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #1324
whomario
Pro Starter

Wouldn´t exactly give those 2 the same level of signing ... Happy getting him of course, but still ...

If we manage to extend Mkhitaryan (his agent is apparently playing hardball regarding a fixed out-clause) and get 3-4 more decent signings (ideally a talented Striker, a CM with some offensive talent and of course at least 1 new CB) we might just be ok ... Thing is that Hummels was just hugely important on both ends of the pitch. Best ball-playing CB in the world, there´s no way we get a CB with even 80% his ability on the ball.

Apparently theres even a chance that Gündogan stays long term as the injury has cooled City´s interest in paying big bucks for him. Though at this point i wouldn´t mind just closing that chapter if we get a good replacement. Kagawa looked good recently, Weigl showed more assertiveness going forward (brilliant in that deep role all season of course), Sahin can hopefully stay healthy.

If this was FM i´d look for sth like Mustafi/Toprak + Veltmann (CB who can play some FB as well) + Tielemanns/Torres/Klassen/Dahoud + Milik
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #1325
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Can't see Gundogan to City falling apart to be honest. City are just rightly trying to lower the price a bit since there is more risk in the transfer now.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #1326
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Ah, I had almost forgot what it was like being a Spurs fan. That was a full seasons worth of Spursyness condensed into 90 minutes.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #1327
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Don't know if I feel worse for Spurs or Arsenal fans, to be honest.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #1328
AlexB
Pro Starter

And north London gets to celebrate St Totteringham's day for the 21st year in a row. It came a little later this year, but that was nice for them given the early Easter

Was in the Chelsea Shed End today for the Leicester match, and I did not realise how much they hated Spurs. As players stood over the kick off the fans were doing the the long "Whooooooooaaaaaaaaaa" until the whistle went and there was an instant and single "We hate Tottenham" before everyone sat down and watched the game! Not sure why they hate them so much tbh, never used to?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #1329
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Not sure why they hate them so much tbh, never used to?

So you missed the game a few weeks ago between them It was a bit heated.

As for the real reason what I have heard is that Chelsea fans were always the worst about the oven chants and other horrible things that used to be directed at Tottenham fans. Tottenham supporters now never pass up an opportunity to mention that which pisses off the Chelsea supporters who view it as ancient history. And around and around the hatred goes.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:40 AM   #1330
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
So you missed the game a few weeks ago between them It was a bit heated.

That match was kinda important for me

But I don't recall any Tottenham/Chelsea match having anything like like that level of vitriol in the last 35 years that I've been a football fan. London derby yea, intense hatred no.

My dad used to work at Chelsea in the sixties, and there was never anything more than a rivalry - a quick Google search and links to fan forums suggested that it began after the 67 Cup Final and exacerbated in the 80s and 90s

The fact that there are a number threads on Cheslea forums 'why exactly do we hates Spurs?' suggests it's not a universal/specific thing though!

I guess it was the first time that Spurs had the chance to do something big in decades and Chelsea had the direct chance to stop them, so that gave a far bigger platform due to current media exposure levels to non-London fans, but the level of hatred still was a bit of a surprise

Last edited by AlexB : 05-16-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #1331
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Not sure of all the reasons why, but Tottenham have been Chelsea's most hated London rival pretty much since I became a fan ('94 World Cup got me hooked on the sport).

The 67 Cup Final is part of it, Chelsea's bizarrely lengthy '90s-and-first-half-of-'00s winning streak when they were otherwise at the same general level is part of it, QPR crashing out of the top flight in 95-96 and not being around to serve as local rivals is part of it, our fanbase having a larger streak of racist idiots than average back in the '80s* is unfortunately also part of it . . .

*Not to suggest we don't have racist idiots now, but that's been a thankfully shrinking part of football fandom as a whole and Chelsea have improved as much as anyone - at least when John Terry doesn't make the whole thing tribal.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #1332
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh Lolpool you bring a smile to my face.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #1333
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

AFC Wimbledon, a fan owned team that was in the 9th division in 2004 have a date in the League 2 playoff final at Wembley...for a trip to League One.

MK Dons, the original Wimbledon club was relegated from the Championship, meaning they'd be in the same league if the real Dons manage to win the Play-Off Final.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #1334
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I believe there's a SI Games connection with AFC Wimbledon, as well.

FC United of Manchester might be the new hotness (although: ugh), but for me AFC Wimbledon was the original fan protest club. More power to them!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #1335
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I believe there's a SI Games connection with AFC Wimbledon, as well.

Just a little one we've been sponsoring them since their formation

(we are also lucky enough to get to play a special match most seasons against their coaching staff .. those of you unfortunate enough to be connected to me on Facebook will have seen photos from our recent knock out tournament at Vicarage Road, Watfords ground )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #1336
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

New hotness? FC united of Manchester is a disaster right now.

Edit: oops just clinked on the link you embedded

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-19-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #1337
MrBug708
Head Coach

Some close moments, but it looks like Palace is going to fall to Man U
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #1338
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That was one hell of a volley
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #1339
Critch
lolzcat

BBC says van Gaal is out at Man Utd and Mourinho is in.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #1340
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can't help thinking if Palace had gone with Puncheon and Gayle from the start, United were there for the taking
Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #1341
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Should be fun to see pep make a neutered mou his bitch.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #1342
miami_fan
Coordinator

Patrick Viera having one of those days in the NY derby.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #1343
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

It is going to be really interesting to see how the United supporters deal with those days Mourinho decides to park the bus and play for a 1-0 result. I am guessing the ends will justify the means but it may be a hard swallow.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #1344
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Red Bull took NYCFC out to the woodshed, back in, back to the woodshed again, decided that wasn't enough of a beating and built a bigger woodshed to whoop NYCFC in,
Old 05-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #1345
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Ibra must be odds on to join united now. Can totally see them offering him a gazillion dollars even at his age.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #1346
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

A little deja vu watching Vardy go down in the box in today's England-Turkey friendly.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #1347
kingfc22
Head Coach

The referee for this Copa Del Rey final is horrendous. Holy smokes this guy has no clue out there

Last edited by kingfc22 : 05-22-2016 at 04:17 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #1348
Easy Mac

10 on 10 for extra time seems likely
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #1349
Easy Mac

The ref has now called for a sub
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #1350
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

The shit show continues.