Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #1301
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Fuck you. Not all Celtics fans are Patriots fans.

Well considering its not directed at the FOFC Boston crowd but you can have the same thing Fozzie had.

Ditto bro. DIT-TO.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #1302
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just noted that my world is about to be impacted in two keys was, one positive and one negative.

The positive is that the Celtics lost and my favorite player (Kobe) won.

The negative is that the Lakers won--which means that local sports (and sports radio of which I spend an inordinate amount of time listening to) will now become insufferable because of being surrounded by ridiculous Lakers fans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-17-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #1303
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Listening to local radio and Celtics fans are crying about the refs. I texted the show this comment... "To all Celtic fans.....*pause* HAHA!!!!!!!"

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #1304
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I will say this as someone who has a passion for the game of basketball I love the way the Celtics play ball. I just wish they had a different name on the front of the jersey so I can enjoy them. As a basketball purist this finals was an absolute delight to watch as I am always a fan of defense.

Too the Celtics fans like Fozzie and Larry understand I feel for you guys. I just can not stand the people in your fanbase. Nothing personal but the New England hater in me is enjoying this moment. So if I offended please understand its not directed at you personally.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #1305
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's the point- there were hardly any fouls called early. But when the clock turned 4th quarter, the ref'ing went completely one sided and, more importantly, completely inconsistent with the rest of the game.

SI

And that is exactly where I have issues. I don't care what it is, if it is a foul :30 into the game, it is a foul with :30 left in the game. Unfortunately, Stern doesn't have the balls to force the refs to call the game that way.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #1306
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I didn't have any rooting interest as well and I thought the officiating was horrid in the fourth quarter. Free throws 37-17 in favor of the Lakers for the game. That completely changes the game when the Lakers know they can drive to the rim every play and will get the call and that was evident by the 4th quarter.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-17-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #1307
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Man one guy is literally losing his mind on the radio. He accused everyone of being against the Celtics he stopped just short of blaming Obama. The host admitted that the refs played it loose for the Lakers down the stretch but the Celtics still let the lead slip away.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #1308
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I didn't have any rooting interest as well and I thought the officiating was horrid in the fourth quarter. Free throws 37-17 in favor of the Lakers for the game. That completely changes the game when the Lakers know they can drive to the rim every play and will get the call and that was evident by the 4th quarter.

I recall the Celtics not being aggressive with getting to the basket in the fourth quarter. When they did drive to the basket they often did so while beating a Laker defender cleanly. My memory is a bit hazy but someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #1309
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No, on this you're right. Other then the Ray Ray block by Gasol, they were a jump shooting team in the fourth quarter.. a lot of of the Celtics fourth Quarter fouls were just stupid plays like Pierce trying to get a charge.. at mid court.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #1310
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
And that is exactly where I have issues. I don't care what it is, if it is a foul :30 into the game, it is a foul with :30 left in the game. Unfortunately, Stern doesn't have the balls to force the refs to call the game that way.

My bad- I agree 100% with that.

As to "Yeah, that Celtics didn't score enough points" Jim-Rome-scoreboard crowd. Yes, they didn't. Did they make every shot? No, so there is always room for improvement. Similarly, the Lakers also didn't make every shot so they were by no means perfect either. I would have liked to see them on a level playing field, not one drastically tilted so we could have seen which team was actually better.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #1311
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The NBA is fixed
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #1312
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
I will say this as someone who has a passion for the game of basketball I love the way the Celtics play ball. I just wish they had a different name on the front of the jersey so I can enjoy them. As a basketball purist this finals was an absolute delight to watch as I am always a fan of defense.

Too the Celtics fans like Fozzie and Larry understand I feel for you guys. I just can not stand the people in your fanbase. Nothing personal but the New England hater in me is enjoying this moment. So if I offended please understand its not directed at you personally.

Yep, I understand completely. People hate the Celtics. It's fine. I love that people hate the Celtics. It comes with the territory. I'm glad that you can enjoy their style of play though, this was a hell of a finals. I don't know how much I'm going to be able to sleep tonight... I guess I can say at least they went down fighting hard...

I hope to hell Doc comes back next year.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #1313
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I recall the Celtics not being aggressive with getting to the basket in the fourth quarter. When they did drive to the basket they often did so while beating a Laker defender cleanly. My memory is a bit hazy but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I think you're right. A lot of jumpshots or back to the basket turnarounds.

That said, you could argue their overall aggressiveness was affected by their fear they would be called for a foul (on the offensive end as well as the defensive end).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #1314
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't think the NBA is fixed. I just will never understand the way the game is called. I go back to a game earlier in the postseason (so people don't think I'm complaining about this game), when Wade runs into the back of Rajon Rondo and Rondo gets called for a foul. Calls like that perplex me. I just don't understand.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #1315
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem the Cs had was that they allowed the Lakers to crash the boards early. If they crash the boards, the Lakers don't get 15 off boards early and all those second chance points that kept them in the game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #1316
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
No, on this you're right. Other then the Ray Ray block by Gasol, they were a jump shooting team in the fourth quarter.. a lot of of the Celtics fourth Quarter fouls were just stupid plays like Pierce trying to get a charge.. at mid court.

I actually liked the intent of Pierce's play, if not the execution. The problem was that he went for the charge instead of attempting to get Gasol to change course. Pierce correctly read that Gasol taking the ball up the court was highly irregular and putting pressure on him--especially on the penalty side of the 10-second line--was the correct thing to do.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #1317
Galaril
Pro Starter

I have now taken my emerald glasses from earlier in the thread since of course it still just a game. First, I will not comment on the officiating overall in the this game since I think most of the obvious points have been brought up and do not see any constructive point to pissing on the FOFC Laker fans 2010 title. Congrats to the Lakers the FOFC LAKER/LA fans and it was a hard fought and well deserved victory. i really never thought this Lakers team had the killer instinct in them though in the end they showed they did . Kobe also had a sick series and really deserved then trophy.

The Celtics had a great year and am proud how they tapped out without Perks and all the other stuff that was against them with there players age and all. Great year and I hope they can reload partially and maybe get rid of some of the whining bitches(Pierce looking at you) inplace of spomething more raw and young that Doc can work with. Peace out.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-17-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #1318
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Boston Celtics vs. Los Angeles Lakers - Shot Chart - June 17, 2010 - ESPN

Looking at the shot chart, the Celtics had 7 shots (8 if you count Allen's that is just outside the paint at 8') in the paint in the 4th quarter to 6 for the Lakers. You have to go player by player to see them all because there are a couple stacked on top of each other for each team, in particular, at the 0 foot range.

That sounds pretty darn even to me.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #1319
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If Pierce were not on the Celtics, it would be harder for me dislike them. Not impossible, though, since my dislike of Boston-related sports teams is not really player-focused. But, yeah, I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him on another team. Or retire.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #1320
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Looking at the shot chart, the Celtics had 7 shots (8 if you count Allen's that is just outside the paint at 8') in the paint in the 4th quarter to 6 for the Lakers. You have to go player by player to see them all because there are a couple stacked on top of each other for each team, in particular, at the 0 foot range.

SI

Yeah, but look where those shots are taken and how they are described. Not many are right at the basket, where a layup or a tip in or a dunk would be. The bulk of them are 4-5 feet out, closer to the free throw line than the hoop. They are all described as jumpers, too. This is the realm of running jumpers into the lane and turnaround shots when you fail to break the post defense and get in closer to the basket. That's not really aggressive play.

Edit: Looks like all shots are called "jumpers". So that might be misleading. Noop right below me also makes a good point, though. The shots on that chart are probably only shots that "counted" in the box score.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-17-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #1321
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

SI

I might be mistaken but I don't think they count drives to the basket(that didn't result in a AND 1 situation) that resulted in a foul. The Lakers if I recall drew a lot of their fouls while being aggressive too the basket. Hell I know Artest had a few himself and I despise him for even thinking he should drive to the basket.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #1322
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't speak to that as I think my recollection of every shot would be similar to yours where I'm just not quite sure but have a feeling one way or the other. Those are the only stats I have handy.

SI

Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #1323
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think the NBA is fixed. I just will never understand the way the game is called. I go back to a game earlier in the postseason (so people don't think I'm complaining about this game), when Wade runs into the back of Rajon Rondo and Rondo gets called for a foul. Calls like that perplex me. I just don't understand.

I really don't think its fixed either, I think I have just come to the point where I realize the refs are fucked, and the game can not be fair at times. I dont understand it either, I guess I just move on and let it go because its the NBA.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #1324
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In the wake of stupid Laker fan rioting, I want to reiterate that, while I rooted for the Lakers in this series, I am as annoyed at the stupidity of rioters here as anyone outside of LA, and I hope they round them up and shoot them. Okay, j/k, spend a day in LA's fancy new prison building and face a hefty fine.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #1325
MrBug708
Head Coach

A lot of the laker fans were already drunk from the game earlier today
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #1326
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Gold.

That's a great way of saying it without saying it, lol.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #1327
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
In the wake of stupid Laker fan rioting, I want to reiterate that, while I rooted for the Lakers in this series, I am as annoyed at the stupidity of rioters here as anyone outside of LA, and I hope they round them up and shoot them. Okay, j/k, spend a day in LA's fancy new prison building and face a hefty fine.

If UCLA wins a National Title will you celebrate like those stupid Laker fans? I for one would not blame you if you did.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #1328
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I guess I don't understand the hatred of Pierce. I guess I like the guy because he stayed loyal to the Celtics, even through many years where they gave him shit to work with. This is the guy that took the Celtics to the conference finals with a roster that included Antoine Walker, Rodney Rogers, Tony Delk, and Tony Battie.

Sure, he whines about calls and overreacts to injuries (perhaps a reaction to almost being stabbed to death early in his career?), but he's been a good, solid player for a long time and plays his ass off every minute he's on the court.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #1329
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I didn't know that LA had so many Frenchies.

Last edited by Tigercat : 06-17-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #1330
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If UCLA wins a National Title will you celebrate like those stupid Laker fans? I for one would not blame you if you did.

Me personally? I would never celebrate like that. I don't believe in property damage as a show of support for my team or as an act of joy.

I wouldn't like seeing UCLA fans do that. Or Angels fans either.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #1331
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Me personally? I would never celebrate like that. I don't believe in property damage as a show of support for my team or as an act of joy.

I wouldn't like seeing UCLA fans do that. Or Angels fans either.

You know what if they ever win one I will celebrate on your behalf. I will be the skinny black guy who is running around the streets of South Miami screaming this is for Chief and Bug!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #1332
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know what if they ever win one I will celebrate on your behalf. I will be the skinny black guy who is running around the streets of South Miami screaming this is for Chief and Bug!

Heh, heh, thanks Noop. Just no property damage and try not to get arrested, okay?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #1333
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think the NBA is fixed. I just will never understand the way the game is called.

In other sports, the refs are expected to swallow the whistle and let the players play the later in a game/post-season it gets. It was the complete opposite here. The later the game went, the more fouls were called. Even if you argue that it wasn't unfairly one-sided and the Celtics did simply commit more fouls, the total number of fouls went up.

Just did a quick count from the play-by-play. 8 fouls in the 1st, 11 in the 2nd, 8 in the 3rd and 17 (2 were intentional) in the 4th. Not counting the 2 intentional fouls in the 4th, Celtics had 10 4th quarter fouls to the Lakers' 5. The number of fouls in the game were 25 (2 intentional) for the Celtics, 19 for the Lakers.

I don't buy the argument that refs should swallow the whistle. If it's a foul in the 1st, it should be a foul in the 4th, but at least I can understand their point of view and will concede that borderline calls and "nit-picky" stuff that might be called early shouldn't be called late. A ref should be sure it's a foul when it's late, but if it IS a foul, call it.

It seems like it's the opposite in the NBA (if this one game is the norm, that it), and I simply don't get that at all.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #1334
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

BACK TO BACK! Great, great win tonight.

Fisher, Artest, Odom, heck...even Vujacic... they all came through in the clutch tonight.

Who would have thought?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #1335
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Also, how can anyone feel anything buy joy for Ron Artest?

He got his shit together this season, stopped being a complete headcase, and turned into a legitimate champ, playing big in the biggest game of the season.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #1336
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Queensbridge!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #1337
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I forgot to add...

Ron Ron also probably gave the best post-Finals interview ever.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #1338
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I forgot to add...

Ron Ron also probably gave the best post-Finals interview ever.

Yes, this is so fucking true
Old 06-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #1339
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

this has really nothing to do with this years playoffs, but did anyone else realize that the famed 1996 NBA draft had not 1 but 2 future Major League Baseball players in it? W T F? lol.

Ryan Minor, and Mark Hendrickson. And I'm not shitting you, they were both drafted by the Sixers, and get this, they were taken back to back @ pick 31 and pick 32. Wow.

btw this will make one helluva trivia question some day.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 06-18-2010 at 02:39 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #1340
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

More Ron Ron post Finals interview fun as he sits down with ESPN with his entire family...

Ron Artest On Lakers' Win - ESPN Video - ESPN
Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #1341
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Shouldn't Gasol have gotten the MVP? Just find it tough to give it to Kobe after he shit all over himself in the biggest game of the series.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #1342
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Could have gone either way. But the Lakers are Kobe's team.

Finals Stats:

Pau Gasol: 18.6 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 3.7 apg, 2.6 bpg, 1.9 TOPG, 47% FG, 72% FT
Kobe Bryant: 28.6 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 3.9 apg, 2.1 spg, 3.9 TOPG, 40% FG, 32% 3PT, 88% FT
Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #1343
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that, from a purely objective point, Gasol probably edged out Kobe for MVP.

But anyone on the Lakers would have had to have played 150% better than Kobe to even be considered for MVP.

That's not a Kobe thing. That's a star thing. The NBA is a star-driven enterprise. The natural order of things is to showcase and reward the stars, and Finals MVP awards are pretty much designed to just add to their trophy case. Which is fine b/c everyone knows how that works.

And, yeah, Artest's post-finals interview was great. I thought that KG's record for most awesome interview ("ANYTHING IS POSSIBBLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!") would stand for decades. But Artest blew it out of the water just two years later.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #1344
Kodos
Resident Alien

So I guess I was the only one who deleted the game as soon as it was over so I didn't have to watch the Lakers celebrate?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #1345
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Gasol took the game over at the end. Kobe sort of choked and put up bad shots.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #1346
whomario
Pro Starter

Gasol is definitely one of the better 2nd options/sidekicks in history, the guy is truly a great, great complimentary player who truly embraced the role change coming from the grizzlies to the lakers.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #1347
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that, from a purely objective point, Gasol probably edged out Kobe for MVP.

But anyone on the Lakers would have had to have played 150% better than Kobe to even be considered for MVP.

That's not a Kobe thing. That's a star thing. The NBA is a star-driven enterprise. The natural order of things is to showcase and reward the stars, and Finals MVP awards are pretty much designed to just add to their trophy case. Which is fine b/c everyone knows how that works.

And, yeah, Artest's post-finals interview was great. I thought that KG's record for most awesome interview ("ANYTHING IS POSSIBBLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!") would stand for decades. But Artest blew it out of the water just two years later.

Kobe was also unreal during the rest of the playoffs and that probably tipped the scales
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #1348
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
So I guess I was the only one who deleted the game as soon as it was over so I didn't have to watch the Lakers celebrate?

I turned it off immediately. But I would have done so for the Celtics, too. No-win scenario.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #1349
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The problem the Cs had was that they allowed the Lakers to crash the boards early. If they crash the boards, the Lakers don't get 15 off boards early and all those second chance points that kept them in the game.

This is the game I saw.

Honestly, if I was Doc Rivers, all of my time out talks & halftime talk would have consisted of two things:

"Get some fucking rebounds!"

"Hang on to the fucking loose ball!"

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #1350
molson
General Manager

Amazing, proud playoff run for the Celts, I'm not really disappointed at all.

The ongoing, retarded anti-Boston stuff from the usual suspects is amusing.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote