Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #1301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Unfortunately, my criteria for an action-adventure/rpg is somewhat narrow: no sci-fi or future stuff. I really want to play a Gothic-like game but don't think getting ArcaniaA will be worth it. Did Risen last year. What else is out there?

Probably a dumb question but wth, I'll make sure anyway: you already played Oblivion, right?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #1302
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know if this is the thread to ask (since I didn't read any of it) but I am looking for some PC game recommendations. I have a new machine that can handle anything but now want to play some games to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, my criteria for an action-adventure/rpg is somewhat narrow: no sci-fi or future stuff. I really want to play a Gothic-like game but don't think getting ArcaniaA will be worth it. Did Risen last year. What else is out there?

Also, I am looking for a good FPS set in a historical period (i.e., before modern warfare). That rules out the new CoD, unfortunately. Any good, new WW2 shooters?

As far as first person shooters go I'd recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Great game.

For RPG types I'm not sure. Dragon Age is excellent. Witcher is a little older, but a sequel is also coming out so if you're interested then getting the story from the first would be a good idea. I don't know how much you know about either, but they both have an old school RPG feel to them (baldur's gate 2, Planescape: Torment). Dragon age is top down or 3rd person gameplay. Witcher is strictly 3rd person and gets a bit button mashy, but the story is outstanding.

Amnesia: the Dark Decent is a really good game as well. It's a first person action/adventure/puzzle type game. One of the very few truly scary games.

Two Worlds 2 is coming out in the US in January. Might want to keep an eye on that. Here's IGN's info on it:

IGN Advertisement

Last edited by Atocep : 12-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #1303
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Probably a dumb question but wth, I'll make sure anyway: you already played Oblivion, right?

LOL. You must have missed my years-long rant here on how awful this game was. Easily in the bottom 10 of all time, for me.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #1304
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks. I have read the wiki on these and am now watching the youtubes. So far, sounds intimidating since I'm not much of an RPG gamer.

I got to reading the Fallout: New Vegas thread and got curious about Fallout 3 since everyone was raving about it. Sounds like a good game but I'm narrow-minded unfortunately.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #1305
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Atocep, I'm reading about Amnesia now. Thanks. The phrase " Amnesia is an exploration-based adventure game played from a first-person perspective" is right up my proverbial alley.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #1306
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I don't know if this is the thread to ask (since I didn't read any of it) but I am looking for some PC game recommendations. I have a new machine that can handle anything but now want to play some games to take advantage of it.

Also, I am looking for a good FPS set in a historical period (i.e., before modern warfare). That rules out the new CoD, unfortunately. Any good, new WW2 shooters?

A lot of good suggestions above, I will add my own.

Deus Ex is a good game with both FPS and RPG elements. Quake 4 was a lot of fun, and Far Cry was a good time as well, in case you haven't tried any of those.

I recommend you watch out for DRM on some of the games you buy though. Some of it can be very nasty.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #1307
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Speaking of DRM, would any of you recommend Assassin's Creed 2?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #1308
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
LOL. You must have missed my years-long rant here on how awful this game was. Easily in the bottom 10 of all time, for me.

Yikes. Never take a game recommendation from me. It was in my top ten all time.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #1309
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yikes. Never take a game recommendation from me. It was in my top ten all time.

I would have to agree, loved it.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #1310
SackAttack
Head Coach

I enjoyed Oblivion, but wouldn't have put it in my top ten. Too many little things that bothered me.

I'd replay it cheerfully, though, which is more than I could've ever said for Morrowind.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #1311
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
A few Steam deals (one mentioned above)

Counter Strike: Source $5.00
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition $2.49
The Deus Ex Collection $4.99
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse $10.50
Borderlands $9.99
R.U.S.E. $33.49

Added the Deus Ex Collection from this. That puts my Steam list at the following:
KOTOR for $5
X-Com collection for $5
Freedom Force collection for $2
Deux Ex Collection for $5
Orange Box for $10

That is just hard to beat. When they have sales, they are just so hard to pass up

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #1312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Probably not so much "missed" as "insufficient memory" on my part.

First thing that goes is your memory, the next thing to go is, umm, uhh, wait wait don't tell me ...
Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #1313
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Probably not so much "missed" as "insufficient memory" on my part.

First thing that goes is your memory, the next thing to go is, umm, uhh, wait wait don't tell me ...

Really, well Bucc is so old he doesn't even remember posting in this thread.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-04-2010 at 06:17 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #1314
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Really, well Bucc is so old he doesn't even remember posting in this thread.

What thread?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #1315
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Westward IV is 7 on sites like BigFish Games instead of 10 on Steam. I put 25 hours into the game already.

Westward IV: All Aboard Game Download for PC | Big Fish Games

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #1316
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty good deals on Madden 10 and Saboteur. $7 each.

Slickdeals goHastings Deals, Coupons and Promos: Video Games: Madden NFL 10 (360/PS3), The Saboteur (360/PS3) (12/06/10 12:00am)
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #1317
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Saw this deal posted on Slickdeals. Microsoft is offering Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl for 99 cents.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/dailydeal/day5/
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #1318
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Another Microsoft deal from Slickdeals. Microsoft is selling Max Payne 2 for 99 cents.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 AM   #1321
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Bought it, started downloading it, have Fios at top speed, have 40% download after 2 hours. The first 38% of the download took maybe 5 minutes. Starting to feel a bit like the old dial-up days.

Wonder how much of that is due to traffic from the WikiLeaks protestors.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #1322
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

If anyone looking to give MAG a shot it's only $15 (new) at Gamestop this weekend.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #1323
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thanks HiFi. I went with the hard copy. Should have it next week.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #1324
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait for the Steam Christmas deals this year. I still haven't played half the games I got last year

Last edited by vex : 12-11-2010 at 09:56 AM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #1325
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I can't wait for the Steam Christmas deals this year. I still haven't played half the games I got last year

You and me both Vex.

Like Steam?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #1326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers is $5 on Steam today. Any thoughts on it? How limited are you in cards you can use and how's the interface?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-11-2010 at 10:12 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #1327
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers is $5 on Steam today. Any thoughts on it? How limited are you in cards you can use and how's the interface?

SI

Interface is fine, not great. I remember it feeling like it was made for console and not properly optimized for PC. I think there's a demo on Steam that you can check out to see how you like it though. If you're looking for deck customization, it's not for you. There are preset decks that you can use and if I remember correctly you can unlock more cards you can add to the deck but you are unable to remove cards in the base deck. It can be fun if you like MTG, and i really liked the challenges where you have to figure out how to win on your current turn (even though some of them seem bugged ), but if you're looking for something like the MTG game from 1997 you'll probably be disappointed.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #1329
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Interface is fine, not great. I remember it feeling like it was made for console and not properly optimized for PC. I think there's a demo on Steam that you can check out to see how you like it though. If you're looking for deck customization, it's not for you. There are preset decks that you can use and if I remember correctly you can unlock more cards you can add to the deck but you are unable to remove cards in the base deck. It can be fun if you like MTG, and i really liked the challenges where you have to figure out how to win on your current turn (even though some of them seem bugged ), but if you're looking for something like the MTG game from 1997 you'll probably be disappointed.

I played the 360 version briefly. It seemed decent, but never really got into it beyond the deck I was given. I really never understood why more CCG games didn't take off more with online versions. I think L5RO(Legend of the 5 Rings Online) would be awesome if done properly. I also think a more American version of Phantom Dust is just sitting there waiting to be done for somebody. I think it's the best card game based fighting game I've seen. Having teams and guilds just seems like it has such potential.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #1330
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Direct2Drive special thru Monday at 10am - 20% all games (use HOHOHO code at checkout).

Last edited by tyketime : 12-11-2010 at 10:11 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #1331
whomario
Pro Starter

rather minor thing, 5 indie games in a bundle on a "pay what you want" basis : The Humble Indie Bundle #2 (pay what you want for five awesome indie games)

you can also choose where the money goes that you pay for the games (developers or charity) and can also test first and then pay some money.

Includes the highly acclaimed platform/puzzle game Braid (90/100 on metacritic, 8.9 user score) which is just pure awesome imo and a must for anyone that has a thing for theese sort of games.

Others that got great reviews :

Machinarium (85 score, 9.4 user rating)
Osmos (80 score, 8.6 user rating)

no reviews :
Cortex command
Revenge of the titans (which aparently has nothing to do with either of the films )

Last edited by whomario : 12-15-2010 at 07:33 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #1332
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

FM2011 on sale at Steam for 30% off.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #1333
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post

Hrmm...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #1334
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hrmm...

This may not help either. I just checked and FM '11 is 19.99 at Amazon if you can wait for a disc.

Edit: Looks like the digital download is 19.99 too.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 12-15-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #1335
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

FYI- There have been some problems with the download from Amazon. I just got he DVD I ordered last week!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #1336
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Just Cause 2 on Steam for 75% off.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #1337
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post

And bought.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #1338
Tim Tellean
High School JV

1C Company 60% off everything

1C

Kings Bounty series, World War I, Theatre of War 2 series.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #1339
PilotMan
Head Coach

GOG has most of their catalog up to 50% off for their holiday sale. 290 games total. Wow.

GOG.com

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #1340
Izulde
Head Coach

MoM?! Yes please!

BTW, is GOG like Stream?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #1341
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
GOG has most of their catalog up to 50% off for their holiday sale. 290 games total. Wow.

GOG.com

I thought they closed down their site or something a while back.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #1342
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I thought they closed down their site or something a while back.

They did. They're just clearing out the rest of their unsold inventory.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #1343
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
MoM?! Yes please!

BTW, is GOG like Stream?

No. There is an external downloader you can use, but everything else is done off the website and you download an .exe installer of a DRM free copy of the game.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-16-2010 at 11:48 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #1344
Lonnie
High School Varsity

GOG actually relaunched recently. The site was down for a while but I think they are back in business full time now.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #1345
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

GOG.com

Kickass. Never heard of GOG before, but I just bought all three Gabriel Knight games from them.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #1346
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
GOG actually relaunched recently. The site was down for a while but I think they are back in business full time now.

No, actually it never went down, it was a weird marketing stunt. Not a great idea and it has confused many people.

Quote:
First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it’s time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn’t keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we’re launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we’ll provide you here with 4 videos where you’ll find all needed information about the current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years.

Read more: GOG.com Set To Return, Marketing Stunt Confused Everyone | General News | Lazygamer .:: Console and PC Gaming News ::.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #1347
FF
Mascot

I just got an email from New Star Games and they are having a 50% off holiday sale

Quote:
Purchase any New Star Games product and
save 50% with this coupon: NEWSTAR50

And if you purchase more than one game
you can save even more money with a bundle deal!

It's been awhile since I've checked them out and see that they offer games for the mac now
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #1348
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
MoM?! Yes please!

BTW, is GOG like Stream?

Think Gamersgate.

Like Steam?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1349
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Every once in a while I'll dust off NSS3, then remember that I can never advance to the second season. Very annoy.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #1350
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Dammit to hell! I've fallen for it again. I am a gameaholic. I keep buying games and then switching between them instead of finishing the one I am currently playing. I had just gotten back into Dragon Age. Then I saw the deal for FM2011. Oh yeah, I restarted The Witcher in anticipation of The Witcher 2. I'm still very early into Red Dead Redemption. Ugh... the deals are tormenting me. It burnssssssssss........

Hi. I'm tyketime. And I'm a gameaholic.

Last edited by tyketime : 12-17-2010 at 09:48 AM.