Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 AM   #1301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Unbelievable.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #1302
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

It's nights like tonight that make me happy that I love college basketball. That was one of the best games I've ever seen in any sport. Period. Just unreal.

Poor selections at the end of previous overtimes hurt both teams, but Syracuse ended up with the win.

I'm going to be exhausted at work tomorrow but it was worth it. Game ended at like 1:25 AM EST or something crazy. Just reeeeeee-diculous. If they ever re-air this on ESPN Classic and you missed it...check it out. Seriously.

How many will Syracuse lose by tomorrow? I'll set the over/under at 15 for WVU over Syracuse. If by some act of god Syracuse wins tomorrow, then they should be given a crazy-high seed. I think they'll get a #2 seed if they win the conference tourney. But I'll be amazed if they even show up at all tomorrow. I won't hold it against them because they won the one that mattered.

Congrats to both teams tonight for an amazing game.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #1303
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Crazy game and you have to give the 'Cuse a ton of credit!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #1304
molson
General Manager

I knew something was up, somewhere in college basketball when I kept seeing this thread jump to the top (I was avoiding it and watching about an hour or two behind on TIVO). I had 5 1/2 hours set aside for it (the maximum 3+ hours over scheduled time) and I only had about an hour to spare.

I kind of feel like I did after the crazy '06 Big East tournament run when Gerry McNamara went insane, in that even if it cost them their 1st round game in the NCAA tournament, I was still content with the season......I hope Boeheim shows some restraint tomorrow (tonight) and rests some starters.

I felt like UConn was in control most of the way, they seemed to get every lose ball, a ton of offensive rebounds (including several off FT misses), but Syracuse was just always there, somehow.

This is the most entertaining Syracuse team I can remember in terms of individual personalities. They just all stand out.

I think human nature on the selection committee will give Syracuse a extra boost from this game beyond just the win. I think they were looking at about a #6 before the game, I think at least #4 now, with a shot at a #3.

Last edited by molson : 03-13-2009 at 02:55 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 AM   #1305
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The walk-on doing jumping jacks and skipping around all over the court while the other 9 players want to crawl into a corner and go to sleep until tipoff tomorrow was fantastic.

LOL - that was tremendous.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #1306
molson
General Manager

It's a good thing the 6-OT game was the second game - otherwise West Virginia/Pittsburgh would probably still be going on.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #1307
Butter
Coordinator

I am glad I decided not to stick with the game halfway through the first overtime. I would be DEAD today.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #1308
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It wouldn't be a great sports event if SI, kccheif, and I didn't work in some random Sports night quotes.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #1309
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am dragging today, but glad I stayed up to witness that.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #1310
spleen1015
Coordinator

Man, this is bull shit.

I turned off the tv right after Devendorf made that shot at the end of regulation. I figured he had the devil on his side and Syracuse had won.

I never gave thought to it being after the buzzer and there would be OT. I don't know if I would have lasted through 6 OTs, but damn I am sorry I missed it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #1311
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looking at how the polls were all year and how the conference tournaments have been going for the big conferences, I don't see a team that anyone could say is the best team. Every time a team looks like they're going to be that team, they lose.

This years tournament is going to be fun to watch. I think we're going to see a lot of close, down to the wire games.

It really is a close field this year. I think anyone in the top 20 can win it this year. Good stuff.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #1312
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

was talking with my brother last night about how there are legitimately probably at least 8 teams right now that you could say without a stretch could win it. And that's before somebody goes on a hot-tournament run.

Just for fun...in no particular order.

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Pitt
4. UConn
5. Louisville
6. Memphis
7. Oaklahoma
8. Michigan State
9. Wake Forest

who am I forgetting...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-13-2009 at 11:22 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #1313
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
was talking with my brother last night about how there are legitimately probably at least 8 teams right now that you could say without a stretch could win it. And that's before somebody goes on a hot-tournament run.

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Pitt
4. UConn
5. Louisville
6. Memphis
7. Oaklahoma
8. Michigan State
9. Wake Forest

who am I forgetting...

Kansas is the only other team that comes to mind, I guess.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #1314
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Wake shouldn't be on that list.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #1315
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dola,

Funny thing about DT's list, I bet at least 4-6 of those teams aren't in the Elite 8.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #1316
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think MU will get a 3/4 seed if they win the tourney.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #1317
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

replace Wake with Kansas then if that suits you FoF. Either way, bottom line is that maybe moreso than in past years the field is very well balanced this year (as we saw all year with the #1 seed changing what seemed like it had to be a record number of times). And I agree that 4-6 of those teams won't be in the Elite 8. In fact if you asked me how many of them would make the Elite 8, my best guess would be 3.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #1318
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

They better win the tournament. They have a great matchup with OSU. Then they'll face a team playing its fourth game in four days. No excuses if you're Mizzou not to win this tournament.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #1319
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
They better win the tournament. They have a great matchup with OSU. Then they'll face a team playing its fourth game in four days. No excuses if you're Mizzou not to win this tournament.

Agreed..

I still say we have overachieved.. so I'm happy with this season already.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #1320
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Mizzou already has a three seed at this point. A tourney win will likely land them a 2 in Kansas City given the good power rankings of their expected upcoming foes (OSU and UT).
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #1321
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SA and I were chatting last night trying to just do top 4 seeds. Try it, it's a fun exercise. Even in light of last night, here's how it looks to me:

1s) NCarolina, Michigan St (if they win B10), and 2 Big East Teams (of Pitt, UConn, Louisville- if Louisville wins, they steal it from Pitt, otherwise, it's the other two)

2s) Other Big East team, Memphis, Oklahoma, Duke/Wake (whichever gets further in ACC?)

3s) Duke/Wake, Mizzou- they might take either OU or the ACC spot at #2 if they win the Big XII, Washington (decent PAC10 showing), Villanova?

4s) Kansas, UCLA, Gonzaga... then the next one, I'm not sure about as I think there's a pretty substantial drop off here: Syracuse now? Xavier? Butler? Someone in the SEC or Big 10 with a deep run like LSU or Purdue/Illinois?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-13-2009 at 11:38 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #1322
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Mizzou already has a three seed at this point. A tourney win will likely land them a 2 in Kansas City given the good power rankings of their expected upcoming foes (OSU and UT).

You think so? Wow.. a 2 would be spectacular.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #1323
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Mizzou already has a three seed at this point.

Both Lunardi and 101 have them as a four. I suppose they could move up to a 3 if they win, but that might put them ahead of Kansas, and I don't think they have much of an argument to be ahead of Kansas.

I am guessing they stay a 4 no matter what they do in this tourney, and have zero shot at a 2 seed.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #1324
spleen1015
Coordinator

So, UNC is losing to VT by 6 about halfway through the 2nd half.

What happens when all of the tourney's #1 seeds lose in their conference tournaments?

I don't think we have seen it like this before. If UNC loses, Louisville is the only big conference tourney #1 seed left going into the weekend. That's nuts.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #1325
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Both Lunardi and 101 have them as a four. I suppose they could move up to a 3 if they win, but that might put them ahead of Kansas, and I don't think they have much of an argument to be ahead of Kansas.

I am guessing they stay a 4 no matter what they do in this tourney, and have zero shot at a 2 seed.

Just to correct you, Bracketology 101 as of today has Mizzou as the third best 3 seed (i.e. they're basically rating them as the 11th best team at this point). If they beat OSU and UT, there's a very good chance that they'll be a 2 seed.

Lunardi isn't even worth mentioning. He's at ESPN, but that's usually where his credibility ends. Cumulatively, he's rated as the 15th best prediction site, which is right in the middle of the pack. Bracketology 101 is #1.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #1326
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Just to correct you, Bracketology 101 as of today has Mizzou as the third best 3 seed (i.e. they're basically rating them as the 11th best team at this point).

Link it!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #1327
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Bracketology 101: Bracketology 101's Field of 65 - March 13

It appears that today he has Mizzou as the 4th #3 seed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #1328
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Pitt
4. UConn
5. Louisville
6. Memphis
7. Oaklahoma
8. Michigan State
9. Wake Forest

who am I forgetting...

Don't count out the PAC 10 teams. UW has some nice guards, a great leader in Brockman and some veteran leadership that can score.

Arizona State has 2 dynamic players in Jeff Pendergraph and James Harden and UCLA is a team that could get hot as well.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #1329
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Don't count out the PAC 10 teams.

Wow, it didn't take you long to develop a West Coast bias!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #1330
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Bracketology 101: Bracketology 101's Field of 65 - March 13

It appears that today he has Mizzou as the 4th #3 seed.

That's what I saw. I wanted to split hairs.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #1331
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
That's what I saw. I wanted to split hairs.

If you saw the top of my head, you'd realize what a daunting task that might be.

Thanks for the correction, Cartman. BTW.....I'm rooting for Texas in the early game. I want Mizzou to play (assuming a win tonight) a team that has Dexter Pittman playing in his 4th game in 4 days.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #1332
cartman
Death Herald

And the frenetic pace Mizzou runs will hold up for three games in three days?

Texas has the best strength and conditioning coach in college basketball, so I'm not too worried about the team in general having to play that many games in a row.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #1333
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am so glad Hansbrough is graduating after this year. He's not going to be a good pro, so we won't see much of him in the NBA, hopefully.

Damn you VT!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #1334
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Texas has the best strength and conditioning coach in college basketball, so I'm not too worried about the team in general having to play that many games in a row.

Oh, it will hold up for three days without question. Mizzou rested their starters for the last 8 minutes last night and played 11 players. Given that I saw Eaton and Anderson holding their shorts at every break in the last 10 minutes, I think they're going to really struggle in the 2nd half tonight. We'll also agree to disagree about which team is better conditioned between Mizzou and Texas.

We still don't have a B12 tourney champ who won 4 games in 4 days. We also have never had three upsets in the second round of the tourney like we did yesterday. Something's got to give.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-13-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #1335
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
SA and I were chatting last night trying to just do top 4 seeds. Try it, it's a fun exercise. Even in light of last night, here's how it looks to me:

1s) NCarolina, Michigan St (if they win B10), and 2 Big East Teams (of Pitt, UConn, Louisville- if Louisville wins, they steal it from Pitt, otherwise, it's the other two)

SI

I don't see how Lousville would be stealing from Pitt, more likely they would steal UConn's #1. It would be complete BS at this point if UConn was a #1 and Pitt wasn't seeing as they both lost in their first game of the Big East tourny, Pitt was 2-0 against UConn and Pitt still has the #1 RPI.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #1336
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
I don't see how Lousville would be stealing from Pitt, more likely they would steal UConn's #1. It would be complete BS at this point if UConn was a #1 and Pitt wasn't seeing as they both lost in their first game of the Big East tourny, Pitt was 2-0 against UConn and Pitt still has the #1 RPI.

I think Pitt is a lock as a number 1 seed, now what happens with the other 2 big east teams UConn and Lousiville is gonna be interesting. Do they get 3 number 1 seeds or do they just get 2?
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #1337
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

I also think Mizzou has the pace and the conditioning to do it for that amount of time. Anderson didnt get to where he is by playing 40 mins of walk ball up the court. I think with what he has done this year he needs to be considered for coach of the year in the big 12. My opinion of him has shot through the roof with what he is doing over there.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #1338
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

By the way, a couple of people has asked for this. Here is the site that rates the 'Bracketology' sites that attempt to guess the tourney seeds. As I mentioned, Bracketology 101 rates the highest.

The Bracket Project - Ranking the Bracketologists
Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #1339
Radii
Head Coach

Well, UNC wins a game without Lawson. Color me surprised. Larry Drew showed me something for the first time this season, when he was coming in behind Lawson he seemed to try to force the pace up to the same level that Lawson does and he is a turnover machine. Today with a slower pace he still committed a couple bad turnovers but he made a number of very nice passes and was a lot more in control than I've ever seen him.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #1340
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Pitt and UNC are locked in as #1s. I think the ball is in Louisville's and Michigan State's court right now. If they both win their conference tourneys, I think they wrap up the other two #1s. Otherwise, I think UConn is in the conversation to replace one of them. I think Duke could also get back into the conversation if they run through the ACC tournament (their computer numbers remain very high).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #1341
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Well, UNC wins a game without Lawson. Color me surprised. Larry Drew showed me something for the first time this season, when he was coming in behind Lawson he seemed to try to force the pace up to the same level that Lawson does and he is a turnover machine. Today with a slower pace he still committed a couple bad turnovers but he made a number of very nice passes and was a lot more in control than I've ever seen him.

I'm clearly no VPI fan, but I think they got a little screwed by that jump ball at the end. That had to be a foul or a travel, as Hansborough certainly did not have possession of the ball. Might not have mattered in the end, but I would have been pretty POed if I was a VPI fan.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #1342
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Big 10 basketball is seriously unwatchable.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #1343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WVU -6.5 tonight
Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #1344
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Big 10 basketball is seriously unwatchable.

Some of it is. If you're watching Wisconsin, I agree with you.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #1345
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still exhusted. I watched the entire game last night, took a 3 hour nap then got up to be at work this morning. Basically everyone in the city of syracuse was a walking zombie today but oh so worth it
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #1346
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting comments on local radio. Kevin Harlan has said that he spoke to someone 'in the know' regarding tourney selection that told him that the 'last 10' criteria that previous selection committees have used is all but gone for this year's tourney selection. The main focus will be on the entire body of work, regardless of when the wins/losses occurred.

If you'd like to hear more specifics, Kevin Harlan will be on the radio at 5:00 PM CDT to discuss it more.

Sports Radio 810 WHB - Powered by Fans

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-13-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #1347
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Interesting comments on local radio. Kevin Harlan has said that he spoke to someone 'in the know' regarding tourney selection that told him that the 'last 10' criteria that previous selection committees have used is all but gone for this year's tourney selection. The main focus will be on the entire body of work, regardless of when the wins/losses occurred.

If you'd like to hear more specifics, Kevin Harlan will be on the radio at 5:00 PM CDT to discuss it more.

Sports Radio 810 WHB - Powered by Fans

Good for OU.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #1348
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm clearly no VPI fan, but I think they got a little screwed by that jump ball at the end. That had to be a foul or a travel, as Hansborough certainly did not have possession of the ball. Might not have mattered in the end, but I would have been pretty POed if I was a VPI fan.

agree completely. UNC still had a foul to give and keeping the guy from going up for a shot and forcing another inbounds play would have been fine for Carolina in that spot. It was a bad call.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #1349
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Florida State is about to choke against Georgia Tech.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #1350
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Florida State survives.