Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #1301
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Quick and the Undead - 0/10

A 'zombie western'. I was expecting a tongue in cheek comedy/horror, instead I got a terrible Z-grade horror movie, with bad special effects and even worse acting. Turned it off after 20 mins.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #1302
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Ratatouille 7.5/10 - Probably my least favorite of the Pixar movies and seemed to be the most kid orientated of the Pixar movies to date (for me at least). Not that I didn't like it but, with past movies, Pixar has set the bar pretty high and this one was more 'cute' than laugh out loud funny.

I just watched Ratatouille and concur with this review. 6.5/10
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #1303
Atocep
Coordinator

Alvin and the Chipmunks 6/10 - I promised my son he could pick out a movie to see and this what he chose. Suprisingly for me, it was watchable and any children 8-10 or younger will probably enjoy it quite a bit. A lot of the movie is predictable and the jokes have been done before, but it works well enough. Most kids will love this.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #1304
korme
Go Reds

Seems as though Atonement is a big flop at the box office, too bad because it's getting all kinds of nominations and I'm going to go see it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #1305
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I take back my concurrence with the Ratatouille review after recalling all of the other Pixar movies. I thought Bug's Life was unwatchable and Nemo was insipid at best. Rat was clearly better than those two but while a cute, watchable movie, it didn't measure up to the cleverness of Incredibles, the sheer fun of Monsters and the brilliance of Toy Stories.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #1306
Izulde
Head Coach

Enchanted
I really enjoyed this movie, a clash of Disney animated optimism and a somewhat sanitized, but still gritty enough for contrast New York. The script brilliantly mocks Disney's fairy tale animation conventions and James Mardsen is hilarious as Prince Edward. McDreamy Dempsey does pretty well in his role as a cynical, logic-based single dad and divorce lawyer. Though the musical numbers are surprisingly sparse, what they lack in number they make up for in scope and quality.

That's not to say it's perfect, though. Susan Saradon (sp) is a noticeably underwhelming Queen Narcissa and the final 5-10 minutes of the film tarnish it somewhat.

The real gem of the film, though, and the real reason it succeeds as much as it does, is Amy Adams, an absolutely fantastic Princess Giselle, who is utterly believable and charming, both as initial fish-out-of-water and the inevitable character arc that follows.

Final Rating -8/10

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #1307
Groundhog
Coordinator

Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees - 6/10

A mountain bandit attacks a wandering party in ancient Japan and forcibly takes a beautiful woman as his bride. Quickly she manipulates him to fill her every desire, including a love of decapitated heads, which she then acts out plays with, and at one point begins to make love to...

Quite a twisted little movie this one. The first 80 minutes were excellent, with a surprising amount of female nudity for good measure, but it was ruined by a very unsatisfying (and supernatural) ending, that saw it reduced from around an 8 to a 6 in score.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #1308
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Clerks 2 - 10/10: I know, I should have seen this months ago. I loved Clerks and am from Jersey. But I finally got around to it, and I LOVED it! Now, I'm a big fan of shock humor, so naturally Randell's explinations on life (porch monkey!!), the donkey show, and various other aspects really freaking appealed to me. Now, the story was predictable and a bit cliched, but I'm sorry, the mangina, the Improved Jay and Silent Bob, and the aforementioned donkey show move to a perfect score.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #1309
samifan24
Pro Starter

Junebug - 9/10

I heard a lot of good things about this 2005 Sundance film favorite so I finally watched it last night. This indie film tells the story of a man who brings his new bride home to meet his offbeat family in North Carolina. It's a comedy-drama and one of the best portrayals of small-town life and families I've ever seen. Amy Adams won critical acclaim for her portrayal of the very pregnant Ashley and was certainly worthy of such praise. The film has its quirks but in its quiet moments you catch glimpses of real characters in real situations, often beyond their control. Highly recommended.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #1310
Johnny93g
College Starter

Juno 6/10

Meh, it is what it is. It's not the film i have heard critics gushing over, and Ellen Page certainly doesnt deserve and Oscar nomination because her character is "quirky." It's a cute film, it's amusing, but that it. Were no laugh out loud moments. I thought Juno's father was the best part of the movie, and he didnt get too much screen time.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #1311
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Juno 6/10

Meh, it is what it is. It's not the film i have heard critics gushing over, and Ellen Page certainly doesnt deserve and Oscar nomination because her character is "quirky." It's a cute film, it's amusing, but that it. Were no laugh out loud moments. I thought Juno's father was the best part of the movie, and he didnt get too much screen time.

I haven't seen Juno yet, but last night I dreamed that I was watching it. I'm dreamt up entire scenes with two lead characters, Ellen Page and Micahel Cera, and everything. I remember thinking that the movie was pretty funny in my dream. There was something involved with going to a Michigan football game and some scene in the principal's office in the highschool.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #1312
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Junebug - 9/10

I heard a lot of good things about this 2005 Sundance film favorite so I finally watched it last night. This indie film tells the story of a man who brings his new bride home to meet his offbeat family in North Carolina. It's a comedy-drama and one of the best portrayals of small-town life and families I've ever seen. Amy Adams won critical acclaim for her portrayal of the very pregnant Ashley and was certainly worthy of such praise. The film has its quirks but in its quiet moments you catch glimpses of real characters in real situations, often beyond their control. Highly recommended.

Thanks, I'm probably going to pick this up today- it's been on my radar for a while as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #1313
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Clerks 2 - 10/10: I know, I should have seen this months ago. I loved Clerks and am from Jersey. But I finally got around to it, and I LOVED it! Now, I'm a big fan of shock humor, so naturally Randell's explinations on life (porch monkey!!), the donkey show, and various other aspects really freaking appealed to me. Now, the story was predictable and a bit cliched, but I'm sorry, the mangina, the Improved Jay and Silent Bob, and the aforementioned donkey show move to a perfect score.

I agree. I thought it was the perfect sequel.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #1314
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Thanks, I'm probably going to pick this up today- it's been on my radar for a while as well.

Agreed. I put it on my Netflix que yesterday.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #1315
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Cool, please let me know what you think.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #1316
korme
Go Reds

Atonement (2007) - First of all you need to go into this sort of movie preparing to watch a period piece. I must say the story is very well done, and it is a pretty gripping movie, that almost moves too fast through the years sometimes, as it covers essentially two years, seperated by around 5. It's really a sad movie that deserved Globe & Oscar nominations, but I don't know if I'd agree with the Globes' choice of handing it Best Picture. 8/10
Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #1317
path12
Coordinator

There Will Be Blood (9/10)

Wow. It's not often I'm watching a movie and about a third of the way in start thinking "My God, this is fascinating!". You've already heard about Daniel Day-Lewis, so I'll just say that his performance has not been overhyped. This would be a 10, but slight dissatisfaction with the script towards the end knocks off a point. It makes 2 and a half hours fly by though, and that's pretty good in itself. I think it's a big contender for Best Picture.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #1318
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, I keep half-stepping out the door to go see that (There Will Be Blood) and then stopping myself. Reason being, the trailer just looks so ugly. I remember when I first saw it, I just got the sense of complete and utter darkness eminating from that movie. Not that I don't like movies that are dark, but sometimes those struggle to entertain, and I like to be entertained for my money.

Would you say that it entertains? If so, I will probably try to see it this upcoming weekend (that's open to everyone, not just path).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #1319
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You know, I keep half-stepping out the door to go see that (There Will Be Blood) and then stopping myself. Reason being, the trailer just looks so ugly. I remember when I first saw it, I just got the sense of complete and utter darkness eminating from that movie. Not that I don't like movies that are dark, but sometimes those struggle to entertain, and I like to be entertained for my money.

Would you say that it entertains? If so, I will probably try to see it this upcoming weekend (that's open to everyone, not just path).

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"
Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #1320
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

I'll bet you're not gonna walk out of the theater whistling a happy tune, but yeah I was definitely entertained in general. I'm interested in hearing other opinions on it, I had avoided most reviews beforehand.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #1321
rowech
Pro Starter

Smokin Aces (7/10) -- A good movie but the violence and gore I thought was way over the top. I could have done without a lot of it and still had a good movie. In many ways, I think I would have given it higher marks.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #1322
Flasch186
Coordinator

we just started Rob Zombie's Halloween and I can tell you that I wont be able to watch half but the start is really really good and demented in a raw reality kind of way.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #1323
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
we just started Rob Zombie's Halloween and I can tell you that I wont be able to watch half but the start is really really good and demented in a raw reality kind of way.

I saw Halloween in the theater, and it was decent. I've never seen the original Halloween movies (not much of a horror movie fan, they terrify me). There were a few scenes that were over the top gross/gory, but showing why Michael Myers became who he was, was interesting. I think I'd probably give it a 6/10, but that is based more on the "horror movie scale" which is totally different that "regular movie scale".
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #1324
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Juno- I really loved this movie. Ellen Page I thought was phenomonel and Michael Cera was great as always. J/K Simmons deserves an oscar nod for his role as her Dad. As an adopted child from a young mother this really got to me in alot of parts. I thought Page did a masterfull job of capturing the emotions someone in her position would be expieriencing. 10/10
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #1325
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

I felt it was very consuming. The 1st 15 minutes grab a hold of you, and DDL wont let you go for the remainder. The trailer really doesnt do this justice. It's the best movie of the year in my opinion. Give it a chance.
TML
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #1326
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
There Will Be Blood (9/10)

Wow. It's not often I'm watching a movie and about a third of the way in start thinking "My God, this is fascinating!". You've already heard about Daniel Day-Lewis, so I'll just say that his performance has not been overhyped. This would be a 10, but slight dissatisfaction with the script towards the end knocks off a point. It makes 2 and a half hours fly by though, and that's pretty good in itself. I think it's a big contender for Best Picture.

use the spoiler tag to answer this, but im curious as to what about the script towards the end you didnt like. I really liked the end.
TML
Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #1327
cuervo72
Head Coach

Saturday: Sky High (Disney Channel)

Monday: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything (theater)

Both made me laugh and left me smiling.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #1328
Flasch186
Coordinator

The one good thing about my SAG membership is when the big movie houses send me free screeners to buy my vote:

3:10 to Yuma
No Country For Old Men
Into the Wild
Away From Her

& a first - a ticket for one to see "There Will Be Blood".

Keep 'em coming boys, no screener no vote

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #1329
korme
Go Reds

Going to see There Will Be Blood in about 3 hours, and it's a solid 45 minute drive to the nearest theatre showing it.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #1330
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Received Four Rooms from Netflix about a week ago. We are planning on watching it tonight. Not sure if I will like it though. My wife picked it out. I like most stuff from Tarantino, but.......(Jackie Brown?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #1331
MikeVic
Head Coach

The King of Kong: I was actually entertained by the people in this documentary. I thought it was well done and showed how these people actually take this stuff seriously. That Wiebe guy is a great person, while Billy Mitchell not so much. I'd say it's an 8/10.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #1332
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
use the spoiler tag to answer this, but im curious as to what about the script towards the end you didnt like. I really liked the end.

Re: There Will Be Blood

Spoiler
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #1333
korme
Go Reds

There Will Be Blood (2007) - Wow. I must point out that there is almost no dialogue for the first ~15 minutes of the movie. Outstanding performances, like I said in the Oscar thread, just give Day-Lewis his title now. There are many scenes in the movie where he speaks volumes without saying a single word. I have to say that it was a great story and great script, that got extremely dark and disturbing toward the end. I mean, I felt uncomfortable watching some scenes, can't remember that ever happening in the theatre before. Regardless, it's probably going to win Best Picture and DDL is going to win Best Actor... go see it, now. 9/10
Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #1334
korme
Go Reds

FWIW, path, I tend to agree with you on the ending to TWBB, otherwise it is near perfect.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #1335
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW, path, I tend to agree with you on the ending to TWBB, otherwise it is near perfect.

It do make 2 1/2 hours fly by, don't it?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #1336
korme
Go Reds

Pretty much.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #1337
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Re: There Will Be Blood

Spoiler

Spoiler
TML
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #1338
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

The Groomsmen
6/10

I watched The Groomsmen on Sunday.

Ed Burns stars, directs & writes. John Leguizamo, Jay Mohr, Donal Logue & Brittany Murphy star in it.

It's basically a bunch of 30 somethings, who grew up together, now at different stages of their lives. One is getting married, one has kids, one is a drunk, etc, all are groomsmen, except Ed Burns the groom.

Sounds kinda dumb but the dialogue is similar to Good Will Hunting. Very New England, abrasive, guy talk, tons of cursing. It is fun and entertaining definitely. Wife & I both enjoyed it. I wouldn't watch it twice and wouldn't buy it, but was glad I watched it.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #1339
sabotai
General Manager

Superbad - The outcast/geek high school comedy down to near perfection. I laughed pretty much through the whole thing. The only issue I had with it was the very end, but everything else was great. 9.5/10
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #1340
Flasch186
Coordinator

Into The Wild 7/10

This true story about Alexander Supertramp seemed about as long as real life. It was slow slow slow BUT you knew that eventhough it's a true story, and you may know the ending, you still needed to watch it. Emile Hirsch obviously punished himself for the role and did a good job capturing the heart of the kid. Prhaps this movie was done as good as you can do, this story, but it was NOT the best movie Ive ever seen and certainly was no Castaway.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #1341
MikeVic
Head Coach

Rambo - 9/10 : I'm tempted to say 9.5 or even 10 as a score. This was exactly what I wanted. The setup for the story is decent, dialogue is kept to a pretty bare minimum, and Darla from Angel plays the woman. Rambo kicks ass in the action, and there's a few cool parts. If you want action I highly recommend this movie.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #1342
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Rambo - 9/10 : I'm tempted to say 9.5 or even 10 as a score. This was exactly what I wanted. The setup for the story is decent, dialogue is kept to a pretty bare minimum, and Darla from Angel plays the woman. Rambo kicks ass in the action, and there's a few cool parts. If you want action I highly recommend this movie.

I would rate it about a 7.5. 9 is abit exorbitant, I think.

All that said, everything else I agree with. Anyone going into this expecting Oscar should be shot 57 times by a Rambo machine gun. It's an action movie with a lot of clicheed characters and gratuitous violence. It's what's wrong with the world today that people still enjoy stuff--and I loved every second of it.

It's freakin' Rambo--in 2008.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #1343
Calis
College Starter

Saw There Will be Blood yesterday and agree with the consensus here. The best movie I've seen this year, and maybe one of my favorites of all-time. I usually have a very tough time sitting through long movies, but I was never bored or wandering through the whole thing, it kept me riveted. I do agree that the end just seemed sorta off and was the lowpoint of the movie for me, but to be honest I'm not sure how else it should've ended to get the point across.

Great movie though, and DDL better win the Oscar, it shouldn't even be close. How creepy must it be to work with that guy I wonder? Guy is hardcore.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #1344
Lorena
Unregistered

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 8.8/10

Some parts had me mad and stressed which is what a good movie does. Not having read the book, I feel that the ending was short, as was expecting a longer battle scene. Still, I love how dark the movies have become, definitely looking forward to the last 2 movies.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #1345
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I would rate it about a 7.5. 9 is abit exorbitant, I think.

All that said, everything else I agree with. Anyone going into this expecting Oscar should be shot 57 times by a Rambo machine gun. It's an action movie with a lot of clicheed characters and gratuitous violence. It's what's wrong with the world today that people still enjoy stuff--and I loved every second of it.

It's freakin' Rambo--in 2008.

I gave it a 9/10 for the pure entertainment value of it. I enjoyed it very much, even though it wasn't some sort of Oscar movie. I'd probably give movies like Demolition Man and the Street Fighter movie 9/10 or higher too.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #1346
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's interesting... IMDB has Rambo at an 8.5/10, and Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 38%! Talk about a huge range.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1347
watravaler
High School JV

Amores Perros - 9/10

It's a long one, but well worth the time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amores_Perros
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #1348
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Untraceable 7.5/10

Very good movie, although it's a bit predictable, it still keeps you on the edge of your seat...definitely not a relaxing movie. It's disturbing, watching what happens to the victims is disturbing, and they show a lot, it's significantly more graphic than I was expecting. It's the kind of thing that you know couldn't really happen in the real world/real life, but knowing that there are people out there who would do this if they could is upsetting/disturbing/scary. Definitely recommend it though, not at all suitable for kids though...definitely earned it's R rating, and I wouldn't bring anyone under 15 or 16 to see it.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #1349
Logan
Head Coach

Charlie Wilson's War - 9/10

Wow, I thought this was great. Really entertaining, great pace, interesting plot, and of course great acting by Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman. A lot of great comedy between those two as well; I was surprised how much I laughed during this. The scene in Charlie's office that had Gust going in and out with Charlie's aides was awesome.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #1350
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Rambo - 8/10. Like MikeVic and Chief noted above, the movie is exactly what you'd expect and want from a Rambo flick. I saw it over the weekend at my friend's bachelor party in Vegas. I really couldn't think of a better setting to see the film. The movie was ridiculously violent and over the top. It was like that first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan stretched over the course of an entire movie. The dialogue was laughably bad. The main villain really has to be one of the most evil villains in the history of cinema.