Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #1301
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

MLB bans in PED case likely to drop this week; A-Rod's could keep him out until 2015 - NYPOST.com

a year and a half for Arod....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #1302
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Ya can only hope.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #1303
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Let's take morality out of this for a second as I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't do things because something is right or wrong roughly 99 times out of 100: does it make more business sense to announce these now or in the offseason? MLB risks losing some of those cases if they sit on them and also looks like they're trying to cover things up for the players if they wait. But announcing this week will pretty much put a cloud over the rest of the season, right? Or was that already there?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #1304
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Let's also remember the NY Post is reporting this. So lets take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt .
Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #1305
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Let's also remember the NY Post is reporting this. So lets take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt .

They're waiting until teams get close to the 50 game mark so they can suspend them all at once for the rest of the season and then let them start fresh next year. MLB isn't doing themselves any favors with how they're handling this. It's a joke. They're guilty, Braun showed it by agreeing, and the fact the others still aren't suspended looks horrible.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #1306
molson
General Manager

Won't they all play this year pending appeals? Unless others cut deals like Braun did not too. I imagine that if they try to suspend A-Rod for multiple seasons, that could end up in the courts for years.

Last edited by molson : 07-28-2013 at 02:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #1307
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
However, as a Mets fan I know what it's like to watch a GM trade away key assets for veterans so that the team is mediocre enough to keep his job. Dayton Moore should be be judged by his entire body of work, not on his ability to trade for some pitchers in their 30s that can keep the team out of last place for a couple of years.

Oh God Yes! Thankfully it appears Alderson isn't that sort of GM.

One need also to look at what Theo Epstein is doing in Chicago to realize that building a team from the bottom up rather than keeping it just mediocre enough to survive is a better way to actually achieve success - they are building a pretty decent core with the Cubs.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #1308
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh God Yes! Thankfully it appears Alderson isn't that sort of GM.

One need also to look at what Theo Epstein is doing in Chicago to realize that building a team from the bottom up rather than keeping it just mediocre enough to survive is a better way to actually achieve success - they are building a pretty decent core with the Cubs.

What Neal Huntington has done in Pittsburgh is the blueprint the Royals should be using. He built the core internally through the draft and foreign market and didn't waiver from the plan. To keep the fans and management happy as they got better he made some minor moves to improve the big league team that didn't sacrifice a single top prospect.

Now they're winning and should have a steady stream of prospects reaching the majors over the next 2-3 years.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #1309
MrBug708
Head Coach

Puig with the walkoff!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #1310
MrBug708
Head Coach

26-6 over their last 32 games for the Dodgers

Also set a franchise record for being struck out in game

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1311
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Puig with the walkoff!

Can't wait for his positive drug test. Just a matter of when.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #1312
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Cubs Sweep the Giants! We're going to the playoffs now!!!

never mind..walks away from thread slowwwlllyyy
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #1313
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Can't wait for his positive drug test. Just a matter of when.

Naturally
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #1314
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What Neal Huntington has done in Pittsburgh is the blueprint the Royals should be using. He built the core internally through the draft and foreign market and didn't waiver from the plan. To keep the fans and management happy as they got better he made some minor moves to improve the big league team that didn't sacrifice a single top prospect.

Now they're winning and should have a steady stream of prospects reaching the majors over the next 2-3 years.

Duh, that was a far better example of the success from building from within that I complete didn't think of when I made my post . Thanks!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1315
Easy Mac

How was that not an infield fly call in the Braves-Cardinals game just now?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #1316
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
How was that not an infield fly call in the Braves-Cardinals game just now?

It's the plot twist for the sequel after last year's playoff game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #1317
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

OK about A-Rod. I understand the hatred of him as a fraud, as overpaid, as arrogant, and probably mostly just because he is a Yankee. I also know that A-Rod most likely "came out of the closet" about steroid use for reasons other than clearing his conscience. (Though I could use a refresher on what did lead to his interview about past use) But I still don't get the intense desire from everyone (including it seems MLB) to hold him to some sort of higher punishment because of this.

So baseball fans would rather players lie right to their faces about using like Ryan Braun and Melky Cabrera did instead of at least admitting past use like A-Rod? It seems to me the reason A-Rod is facing a larger punishment than everyone else is because he actually decided to come clean a few years back. (Which it seems like we should want?) So Ryan Braun and others were probably using then as well but since A-Rod admitted it he faces double/triple (in some media outlets life?) for admitting it while the others who lie about it are held to a lower standard? Strange.

Last edited by panerd : 07-29-2013 at 06:43 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #1318
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bill Madden, who voted for no one on the HoF ballot this season, is on Mike and Mike, and says he didn't vote for anyone because of the "integrity of the game," and that he didn't vote Piazza because he didn't want to be in a situation where he voted for a guy and then down the road the guy was involved in a scandal.

He also said Bench was the only catcher to ever get in first time, so he doesn't feel bad about not voting him.

How about show some integrity yourself and not play judge, jury, and executioner and if a guy deserves to be in he deserves to be in. I'll never get the concept of not voting a guy first time around.

The HoF really needs to get rid of these old farts who vote.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-29-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #1319
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
OK about A-Rod. I understand the hatred of him as a fraud, as overpaid, as arrogant, and probably mostly just because he is a Yankee. I also know that A-Rod most likely "came out of the closet" about steroid use for reasons other than clearing his conscience. (Though I could use a refresher on what did lead to his interview about past use) But I still don't get the intense desire from everyone (including it seems MLB) to hold him to some sort of higher punishment because of this.

So baseball fans would rather players lie right to their faces about using like Ryan Braun and Melky Cabrera did instead of at least admitting past use like A-Rod? It seems to me the reason A-Rod is facing a larger punishment than everyone else is because he actually decided to come clean a few years back. (Which it seems like we should want?) So Ryan Braun and others were probably using then as well but since A-Rod admitted it he faces double/triple (in some media outlets life?) for admitting it while the others who lie about it are held to a lower standard? Strange.

I guess perhaps it's because he admitted to it after denying it initially, and then did it again.

Personally, I'd love to see him play as a $25m salute to mediocrity.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #1320
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Bill Madden, who voted for no one on the HoF ballot this season, is on Mike and Mike, and says he didn't vote for anyone because of the "integrity of the game," and that he didn't vote Piazza because he didn't want to be in a situation where he voted for a guy and then down the road the guy was involved in a scandal.

He also said Bench was the only catcher to ever get in first time, so he doesn't feel bad about not voting him.

How about show some integrity yourself and not play judge, jury, and executioner and if a guy deserves to be in he deserves to be in. I'll never get the concept of not voting a guy first time around.

The HoF really needs to get rid of these old farts who vote.

I understand not putting a guy in first time, making that a special honor but truth is Piazza would have to be on there first ballot up without further evidence.

What I don't understand is this 15 year period. Five years is all you need. Too many guys get in simply by wearing stuff down.

On the steroids issue, I can all but guarantee there is a user in there in Rickey Henderson. I'm also amazed nobody ever questions Cal Ripken or Gwynn's power explosion at the age of 37.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #1321
cougarfreak
College Starter

I think a lot of it is he DID lie to their faces. He said he never used them before or after those years in Texas (to the best of my knowledge). And he only used to come back from injury. Now here he is again, using, so who knows how often he used befor/after or whenever. He's one of the biggest frauds in the history of sports IMO. I think he started using very early on, and has continued through his whole career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #1322
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, Ripken exploded with 14 HR when he was 37. There's reason to question there.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #1323
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Yeah, Ripken exploded with 14 HR when he was 37. There's reason to question there.

I meant Ripken's streak and Gwynn's power explosion as separate things.

Last edited by rowech : 07-29-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #1324
spleen1015
Coordinator

Gotcha.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #1325
lungs
Pro Rookie

Brewers will be giving out $10 vouchers for concessions or tickets to all fans that come through turnstiles in August. It should come out to the team giving fans about the same amount of money they are saving from Ryan Brauns suspension. Doesn't make up for the shitty year but its a nice gesture.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #1326
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Brewers will be giving out $10 vouchers for concessions or tickets to all fans that come through turnstiles in August. It should come out to the team giving fans about the same amount of money they are saving from Ryan Brauns suspension. Doesn't make up for the shitty year but its a nice gesture.

People are already whining about it. People are so ungrateful. They didn't have to do squat.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #1327
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

agreed.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #1328
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I meant Ripken's streak and Gwynn's power explosion as separate things.

Might as well question Gehrig.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #1329
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
People are already whining about it. People are so ungrateful. They didn't have to do squat.

I think the internet was invented for people to bitch and moan.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #1330
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why don't they just lower ticket prices by $10?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #1331
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Because people are still buying the tickets regardless of the price drop. This way they get free stuff, some people might buy tickets they wouldn't have anyway, and they're probably going to spend more than the $10 at the concession stand anyway, so you're probably getting increased sales there as well.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #1332
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

because that would actually cost them $10.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #1333
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ump just blew the Rays/Red Sox game on a play at the plate.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #1334
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Because people are still buying the tickets regardless of the price drop. This way they get free stuff, some people might buy tickets they wouldn't have anyway, and they're probably going to spend more than the $10 at the concession stand anyway, so you're probably getting increased sales there as well.

Seems like more people coming in because of lowered prices will encourage more spending on food and other items.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #1335
Swaggs
Coordinator

Probably the most important series the Pirates have played in about 20-years with the five game visit by the Cardinals. Pirates won tonight to move to .5 back and they play a double header tomorrow.

Lots of fun being a Pirates fan right now. I'd like to see them add a couple spare parts at the deadline (a reserve infielder that can hit lefties and corner OF that can hit righties) that could platoon a bit and strengthen the bench. I think their bullpen is strong (even with Grilli out) and I like the rotation right now. Hopefully someone from the injured group of Wandy Rodriguez, Derp Karstens, or James McDonald can make their way back by September.

Also, have loved having Russell Martin behind the plate. He's thrown out 25 of 50 on stolen base attempts and has been above average offensively. He's probably been one of the best 2 or 3 free agents the Pirates have ever signed (Francisco Liriano is looking to be in the conversation, as well).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1336
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers get off the schneid in a big way. After getting shutout in consecutive games, it wasn't looking good for them in the bottom of the ninth, losing to the Angels with Frieri coming in for the save. Pierzynski homered, and that was followed by a walk-off homer by Geovany Soto. Hopefully this is the kind of thing that jump starts the offense and a winning streak.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #1337
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Ump just blew the Rays/Red Sox game on a play at the plate.

It might help if he hadn't put himself right behind the catcher -- you know -- so he could have seen he play?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #1338
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

A lot of people have already bought their August tickets, myself included.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #1339
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It might help if he hadn't put himself right behind the catcher -- you know -- so he could have seen he play?
Yup. Can't put all the blame for the loss on him though - Nava wouldn't have had to tag if he could have just scored from 2nd the play before on Drew's 1-out double.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1340
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yup. Can't put all the blame for the loss on him though - Nava wouldn't have had to tag if he could have just scored from 2nd the play before on Drew's 1-out double.

Two doubles and a run doesn't score. As a Rays fan, I'll take it, but Nava was definitely safe.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #1341
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Two doubles and a run doesn't score. As a Rays fan, I'll take it, but Nava was definitely safe.
Yup. Nava was playing it like there were zero outs by hanging out and being ready to tag at 2nd (and I do think Myers had a good shot at catching the ball, but was a little scared of hitting that low RF wall), instead of cheating up the line and being in position to score if it dropped. Would have been nice to steal that one after mother nature helped chase the once again dominant David Price.

PS - The X-man made his 6th start in the last 2 weeks at 3B and his AAA OPS is up around .900. Don't know if the Red Sox brass will have the cojones to call him up this week like I'd like, but he looks like a lock to be up sometime this year.

Double PS - Watching Koji Uehara pitch is sublime. 8-1 K/BB ratio, 1 ER in his last 22 IP with a 32/2 K/BB in that time, averages less than 15 pitches per inning, all while not having any one pitch that looks dominant.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-29-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #1342
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Probably out, but it was really close...getting only one shot to look at it from a different angle may have still had the ump calling it safe. That was a great throw from Fuld.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #1343
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Double PS - Watching Koji Uehara pitch is sublime. 8-1 K/BB ratio, 1 ER in his last 22 IP with a 32/2 K/BB in that time, averages less than 15 pitches per inning, all while not having any one pitch that looks dominant.

I have no clue why the Rangers didn't try and re-sign him. All I can think of is that his age and injury history along with his salary scared them off. He was phenomenal for them last year.

EDIT: and I had forgotten that they guy they traded to the Orioles to get him was Chris Davis.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-29-2013 at 11:36 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #1344
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Maybe Jerry Meals just shouldn't be behind the plate?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #1345
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Maybe Jerry Meals just shouldn't be behind the plate?

Maybe the Red Sox and their $250M payroll can hire some decent umpires so that the $50M Rays never get any breaks.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #1346
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As the trade deadline approaches, I'm filled with an ever greater sense of dread about what pieces of value Dayton Moore will trade for magic beans.

SI

Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #1347
korme
Go Reds

Heartbreaking loss last night
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #1348
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
As the trade deadline approaches, I'm filled with an ever greater sense of dread about what pieces of value Dayton Moore will trade for magic beans.

SI

Never been a better time to trade Luke. However, I trust Dayton to not sell high.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #1349
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Never been a better time to trade Luke. However, I trust Dayton to not sell high.

As always, I expect him to buy high and sell low.

SI

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #1350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rest in peace

Body of ex-MLB pitcher recovered from Arizona lake | www.ajc.com

Authorities have recovered the body of former major league pitcher Frank Castillo after he apparently drowned at a lake northeast of Phoenix.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-30-2013 at 09:57 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote