Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #1301
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Different talking heads have said on the radio here have said:

"If the conference loses Missouri, no big deal . . . ." and "I don't want to make anyone mad, but with the way Missouri has acted through this whole thing, I don't think anyone will be too upset."

I have heared this from OU media, especially tulsa, and I just dont get it...how has MU acted any different then NU, CU, or even Texas...all 4 have said they are willing to listen to offers from other conferences and have yet to publicly pledge allegiance to the Big 12. Now maybe Texas has and I missed it, because they do have a sweetheart deal, but they have been just as if not more so inviting of offers from the Pac 10 and Big 10 recently that this just screams double standard to me. No one will call them on it because they have all the power, but this sentiment really pissed me off as ignorant when half of the conference is actively campaigning for their expansion places in other conferences then criticize Mizzou for doing exactly the same thing. Give me one example of a mizzou rep saying they want to go the the Big 10. The governor of Missouri has said they should go, but Alden, Pinkel, Anderson, they have all been steadfast in not saying they have to leave. They have said the Big 12 needs changes like revenue sharing, which I think anyone intelligent would agree with, but this sentiment flat out is ignorant. Has NU pledged its membership? Has CU? No, so it just sounds stupid to single out Mizzou to me

End Rant
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #1302
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I have heared this from OU media, especially tulsa, and I just dont get it...how has MU acted any different then NU, CU, or even Texas...all 4 have said they are willing to listen to offers from other conferences and have yet to publicly pledge allegiance to the Big 12. Now maybe Texas has and I missed it, because they do have a sweetheart deal, but they have been just as if not more so inviting of offers from the Pac 10 and Big 10 recently that this just screams double standard to me. No one will call them on it because they have all the power, but this sentiment really pissed me off as ignorant when half of the conference is actively campaigning for their expansion places in other conferences then criticize Mizzou for doing exactly the same thing. Give me one example of a mizzou rep saying they want to go the the Big 10. The governor of Missouri has said they should go, but Alden, Pinkel, Anderson, they have all been steadfast in not saying they have to leave. They have said the Big 12 needs changes like revenue sharing, which I think anyone intelligent would agree with, but this sentiment flat out is ignorant. Has NU pledged its membership? Has CU? No, so it just sounds stupid to single out Mizzou to me

End Rant

I think it's because of articles like this:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...big-ten-invite

Me personally, I have more disdain for Missouri and Colorado not because of things they've done recently, but because those two schools were the only north schools to vote for moving the Big 12 headquarters from Kansas City to Dallas as well as hiring Steve Hatchell (former SWC commissioner). Years later they are complaining about the power in Texas when those two institutions were the major reason the power was transferred there.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #1303
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
LINCOLN — An executive at a Big 12 school relayed to The World-Herald on Tuesday that he expects Nebraska to become a member of the Big Ten as early as Friday.

NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman has declined all interviews about conference realignment and expansion. He is expected to address the topic with the Board of Regents at its Friday meeting in Lincoln.

Direct confirmation from Nebraska of a conference change for the Huskers wasn't immediately available. Sources at two other Big 12 schools told The World-Herald that their athletic directors have instructed them to be ready by week's end for a briefing on probable Big 12 changes.

Nebraska A.D. Tom Osborne offered implicit confirmation Tuesday night that the timetable on national conference realignment has been accelerated.

On his monthly appearance on the Husker Sports Network, Osborne said:

“I think before too long — I don't know exactly what that time frame is — we'll be able to put this to bed,'' then he jokingly added, “because I'm getting tired of it.''

The Big Ten first revealed on Dec. 15 that it was considering expansion, and that it would take 12 to 18 months to act.

Now, six months after that initial announcement, multiple sources have indicated that the Big Ten is prepared to add one to five schools (including Nebraska), and that the Pacific 10 is courting all six schools from the Big 12 South Division.

“There's a lot of information we really don't have right now,'' Osborne said. “Hopefully we'll get these put together in the next few days.

“Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 would be pure speculation. And I don't think that's very helpful.''

Another issue Osborne addressed is recent speculation that he has a personal grudge against Texas or that he is basing decisions on some hatred of the Longhorns.

“We certainly don't have anything against anybody in the Big 12,'' Osborne said. “This decision is not going to be based on animosity or petty jealousy. You're talking about something that could maintain for the next 75 to 100 years.

“This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It's a big deal for other institutions. You don't ever make a decision based on personal likes and dislikes.''

Osborne said he gets along “very well'' with Texas A.D. DeLoss Dodds, and is a “great admirer'' of UT football coach Mack Brown.

“This is not a case of reacting to any one school,'' Osborne said, “particularly Texas.''

Earlier Tuesday, The World-Herald requested an interview with Dodds. His spokesman, from Austin, Texas, said Dodds was unavailable because of a personal commitment.

http://omaha.com/article/20100608/NE...arly-as-friday

Bruce Feldman retweeted this on twitter, no idea if he was confirming it or not. Still speculation but people around Nebraska seem to think it is legit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #1304
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
http://omaha.com/article/20100608/NE...arly-as-friday

Bruce Feldman retweeted this on twitter, no idea if he was confirming it or not. Still speculation but people around Nebraska seem to think it is legit.

Well, there is the problem of the Big 10 not exactly handing out an invite as of yet either, but I think that would be a non-issue if Nebraska was so willing to go.

Quote:
The source said the school is leaning toward the Big Ten, but an invitation hadn't yet been extended, and there was no indication when that would occur. The consensus within the athletic department is that Nebraska wouldn't separate itself from the Big 12 without some assurance that a Big Ten invitation would come, the source said. The Big Ten has set no date for any announcement in the coming weeks, leaving open the possibility that Nebraska could be left in limbo.

Source: Nebraska leaning toward Big Ten move - ESPN

Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #1305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Omaha Paper saying Nebraska to Big Ten as early as Friday. Again, I believe it when I hear something. http://omaha.com/article/20100608/NE...arly-as-friday

I still can not honestly believe how many people are erroneously reporting that Notre Dame is interested in being the 12th team. The NU and MU deals are done. NU has been wanting to make an announcement all week to end the speculation, but the Big Ten president has asked them to wait until tomorrow. The Big 10 plans to add three teams in the next week or two, but that won't be the end of the expansion. They will add two more teams before the school year begins.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #1306
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Omaha Paper saying Nebraska to Big Ten as early as Friday. Again, I believe it when I hear something. http://omaha.com/article/20100608/NE...arly-as-friday

ESPN had a quote from Osborne that was to the effect of, I'm getting tired of all of this talk, something will be decided very soon. I hope Nebraska goes soon, that should set the dominoes moving.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-09-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #1307
lungs
Pro Rookie

They'll keep putting rumors out there that an announcement is forthcoming in the next few days. This will continue to happen for months.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #1308
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Osborne might be saying things like that, and the school leaking the Friday date, because they really want to leave the Big 12 for the Big 10 and they are trying to put some pressure on the Big 10 to finalize the deal ASAP. Maybe this means the Big 10 has not informally agreed with them on this (or at least, doesn't want to make piecemeal moves and could leave them hanging while they sort out the other moving pieces).

From Nebraska's perspective, Friday makes all the sense in the world - they want to do it, and if it happens then, they can say they were upfront with the Big 12. The longer this drags on, and if NU has no intent/desire to stay in the Big 12, it makes them look like a bad conference partner. But they can't move without some real assurance from the Big 10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-09-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #1309
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But they can't move without some real assurance from the Big 10.

Notre Dame is the only reason an announcement hasn't come sooner.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #1310
Ksyrup

But if ND as the 12th team isn't the issue, and expansion is happening and it's just a matter of which teams come after NU and MU, then why the wait? If the Big 10 allows NU and MMU to dangle on the Big 12 deadline, then there HAS to be something to the idea that the Big 10 only wants ND as #12. Otherwise, the waiting and putting NU and MU in limbo makes no sense. But we're a few days away from that. I guess we'll find out.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #1311
Ksyrup

Quote:
Bruce Feldman retweeted this on twitter, no idea if he was confirming it or not.

Bruce Feldman also wrote an article about Texas A&M primed for a run at the Big 12 conference championship, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #1312
Ksyrup

Just to switch gears a bit and look at the SEC possibilities (specifically FSU, which I care about), here's an article discussing the possible ramifications of expansion on the Florida schools:

Conference expansion: Impact on Gators, Seminoles and Knights
Florida, Florida State, SEC, UCF, USF, college football, expansion — posted by andrea adelson on June, 8 2010 7:30 AM

Conference expansion seems to be on the fast track, so it is time to pose the question — how does this impact local schools?

The topic was a popular one on the live chat I held yesterday, so let’s explore it some more.

First, we start with UF. Gators beat writer Jeremy Fowler had a good breakdown of where the SEC stands as the Pac-10 and Big Ten explore their expansion opportunities. It seems nobody in the league is much concerned with expanding, because its lucrative TV deal still puts it in prime position even if the Pac-10 or Big Ten expand to 16 teams.

The SEC has done internal studies on expansion. So let’s throw out a hypothetical. Say that the SEC decides it needs to grow to 16 teams because everybody else is growing to 16 teams. That leads us to Florida State and Miami.

Back in 1989, both schools were interested in the SEC, and the SEC was interested in them. FSU and UM were independents, and huge football draws for the league. But ultimately, both decided to go someplace else. FSU joined the ACC in 1990; Miami the Big East in 1990. Interestingly, I found this quote from then-FSU coach Bobby Bowden in The Washington Post about why the ACC was more attractive than the SEC at that time, dated Oct. 31, 1990:

With the SEC, we’d really be sectionalized if we played there, played a schedule of Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and so and so,” Bowden said. “You can’t afford to take on all of them and Notre Dame, Miami and Florida unless you want to go 7-4 every year, at the best.”

Then-Miami athletic director Sam Jankovic cited the school’s large alumni base in the Northeast for the reason it joined the Big East, which ultimately added football. The Hurricanes were interested in the ACC, but the conference didn’t want to add a 10th member at the time.

Both schools would presumably be on the SEC radar once again. Both would presumably be interested. FSU athletic director Randy Spetman told The Orlando Sentinel last month the SEC was on his school’s radar just in case.

Would UF attempt to block their entry? That is a debatable question. There is much urban legend that says UF blocked FSU back in 1989 but there is no proof of that happening. What about today?

The SEC requires 9 of the 12 SEC presidents to vote for entry into the league — not a unanimous decision. While the Gators are huge rivals to FSU and Miami, and wouldn’t want their rivals to start raking in the cash they rake in from the SEC, what good would blocking both schools do them? There are other attractive options out there, but the SEC would increase its footprint into South Florida and bring in two football powers that are regaining their national rep. Virginia Tech is attractive for expansion into Virginia; North Carolina as well. Are they more attractive than Miami and FSU? Are Clemson and Georgia Tech more attractive than UM and FSU? I would say no.

Now we come to USF and UCF. Expansion could help or hurt both depending on how everything plays out. UCF beat writer Iliana Limon believes UCF is in good position, having talked to officials who believe the school is a strong candidate in expansion.

Could blocking play a role here — would USF begrudgingly give up any attempt to block UCF from joining it in a BCS conference? Coach Jim Leavitt was adamant against UCF, but he is gone. Does that mean feelings have softened? I believe their futures are tied together and they most likely would end up in the same league.

Possibilities:

1) the Big East if the Big Ten adds just one team to go to 12.

2) some sort of Big East/ACC formation depending on how many teams are raided from their conference. Could be 4 from the ACC and 3 from the Big East. New conference could feature the leftover 13 plus three more.

3) a non-BCS league after all the seats are filled into the BCS. USF isn’t guaranteed to keep its spot in a BCS league depending on what happens.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #1313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As if there weren't enough confusion in the matter, the only group more dysfunctional than Dan Beebe is considering entering the fray........

http://www.omaha.com/article/2010060...a-federal-case

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-09-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #1314
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Notre Dame is the only reason an announcement hasn't come sooner.

The Big Ten said they would look at doing 14 teams. They could do Missouri, Nebraska, ND, and Rutgers.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #1315
Ksyrup

Exactly. If ND as #12 only isn't an issue, then why would ND be holding up the announcement of NU and MU?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #1316
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The Big Ten said they would look at doing 14 teams. They could do Missouri, Nebraska, ND, and Rutgers.

That would be 15.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #1317
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Exactly. If ND as #12 only isn't an issue, then why would ND be holding up the announcement of NU and MU?

Because the negotiation process regarding money split and TV contracts with ND is more complicated than MU and NU. They want to announce the teams at the same time if possible.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #1318
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
That would be 15.

Syracuse would be the other one assuming Notre Dame joins the league.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #1319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the only group more dysfunctional than Dan Beebe is considering entering the fray........

The Clippers want to play football?

(btw, your link is broken, The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20100609,AP,706099921,AR). The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20100609,AP,706099921,AR). The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20100609,AP,706099921,AR).
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #1320
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The Clippers want to play football?

(btw, your link is broken, The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20100609,AP,706099921,AR). The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20100609,AP,706099921,AR). The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20100609,AP,706099921,AR).

Should be fixed. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #1321
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2...g-court-order/

I guess $20mil a year is worth looking a little desperate for, but come on Baylor, have a little self respect.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #1322
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #1323
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
As if there weren't enough confusion in the matter, the only group more dysfunctional than Dan Beebe is considering entering the fray........

http://www.omaha.com/article/2010060...a-federal-case

I find it funny that they only are now getting involved once they see that KU and KSU might be on the outside. Where were they when the SEC signed their big TV contract awhile back? Or when the B10 network was created?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #1324
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
I find it funny that they only are now getting involved once they see that KU and KSU might be on the outside. Where were they when the SEC signed their big TV contract awhile back? Or when the B10 network was created?

Or when the Big 8 took teams from the Southwest Conference to form the Big 12?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #1325
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm still bitter that nearly the entire Southern Conference broke off to form the ACC and left WVU behind.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #1326
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

If they went to super conferecnes and broke away from the NCAA, could this also be an end run around title IX?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #1327
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
If they went to super conferecnes and broke away from the NCAA, could this also be an end run around title IX?

As I understand it, Title IX applies to the universities, not directly to NCAA. So splitting from the NCAA wouldn't matter, as the schools would still need to be in compliance with a federal law.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #1328
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
As I understand it, Title IX applies to the universities, not directly to NCAA. So splitting from the NCAA wouldn't matter, as the schools would still need to be in compliance with a federal law.

Correct. It applies to the institutions who receive federal funding.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #1329
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

but if they were alse to substantially increase their revenue by cutting out the slackers, could they do away with federal money and ignore title ix? I don't know the amount of $ they get from the feds so I'm not sure if it's feasible.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #1330
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
but if they were alse to substantially increase their revenue by cutting out the slackers, could they do away with federal money and ignore title ix? I don't know the amount of $ they get from the feds so I'm not sure if it's feasible.

No. Federal money comes in the form of general student financial aid and other direct grants used across universities. College football isn't going to pay for your kid to go to Syracuse to study computer science.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #1331
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

Possible but unlikely; plus there are a number of similar state-level laws which don't have the federal funding piece in it.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #1332
spleen1015
Coordinator

How is it possible for them to break away from the NCAA?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #1333
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
No. Federal money comes in the form of general student financial aid and other direct grants used across universities. College football isn't going to pay for your kid to go to Syracuse to study computer science.

+1

And for that matter, they wouldn't have to leave the NCAA in order to do that.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #1334
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

That's why I asked
Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #1335
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
MBBF, do you have any relatives that are A&M fans?

A&M Might Be The Most Attractive Expansion Candidate For Other Conferences - I Am The 12th Man
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #1336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

No, all my close relatives still have a full set of teeth.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #1337
MrBug708
Head Coach

[sarcasm]While we are at ending Title IX, lets get separate dressing rooms for blacks as well[/sarcasm]
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #1338
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Colorado, 'Cuse penalized for academic failures, could lose scholarships - CBSSports.com

This should end Syracuse to the Big Ten speculation.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #1339
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Not surprised CU athletics got hit. Hell, they keep the athletes in dorms so far away from campus you actually have to take a 5 minute ride on a shuttle bus to get to any classroom.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #1340
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Syracuse already served the loss of scholarship penalty this past year. Shouldn't be too big a deal since it is not an annual even for them.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2010...609103345.aspx

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #1341
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I think it's because of articles like this:

Show-Me? Mizzou feels it has done enough to earn Big Ten invite - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

Me personally, I have more disdain for Missouri and Colorado not because of things they've done recently, but because those two schools were the only north schools to vote for moving the Big 12 headquarters from Kansas City to Dallas as well as hiring Steve Hatchell (former SWC commissioner). Years later they are complaining about the power in Texas when those two institutions were the major reason the power was transferred there.
Funny thing is that the writer of that article, Dennis Dodd, is a Missouri alum. For some reason he's been dead set againt Missouri going to the Big 12 and has done everything he can to argue against it.

At the time and even now I think it was mistake to vote to move the Big 12 office. However, we made the deal because the Texas schools agreed to leave the Big 12 basketball tournament in KC and never touch it ... and agreement that reneged on. It was a good deal except you can't trust the trading partner.

As for Hatchell, KU and Nebraska gave us no choice. They backed the KU athletic director Bob Frederick for the commissioner job, and politically with the fans, politicians and everyone else, there was no way Missouri could vote for Frederick. If the roles had been reversed, no way would KU have voted Dan Devine for commissioner. The North should have identified a consensus candidate without ties to any school. Instead, KU and Nebraska forced us into the Hatchell or Frederick. We tried to broker a deal with the south to at least get something for their commissioner and HQ.

How did we not all realize at the time the Big 12 was doomed to fail because everyone hated everyone else?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #1342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This should end Syracuse to the Big Ten speculation.

Or would it?

I mean, check the data for the most recent year (this appears to be only a single year score, not the rolling average) at NCAA - Academic Progress Rate

Both IU and Purdue men's basketball programs are currently below the 925 cutline, with Purdue men's golf & Ohio State basketball just barely above it.

While one year isn't the threshold for issues, it does show how easily a school can have a team run into problems with this.

edit to add: I may have misspoke, the score ARE labeled as "multi-year", so I'm not sure why this doesn't match what the article says.
double edit: Nebraska men's basketball also has a multi-year score of 925, exactly at the cutline cited in the article. Then again, so does the Cal Tech men's wrestling team.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-09-2010 at 02:41 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #1343
Logan
Head Coach

The official announcement of what I had indicated earlier on:

Rutgers Football Earns Prestigious #1 National Ranking in NCAA Academic Progress Rate
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #1344
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, it's being reported by tons of places now that Nebraska will officially announce they are leaving the Big 12 on Friday.

And here we go.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #1345
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Rutgers (992)
Air Force (988)
Rice (987)
Northwestern (986)
Duke (983)

A pantheon of football power.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #1346
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The radio station here that "broke" the story about the Big Ten making "initial offers" last mont hand is spinning a new doomsday scenario right now. They say sources in Columbia indicate the Big Ten has said they will not have an offer to join the conference this week. However, Nebraska will have an offer to consider at their meeting Friday.

There is speculation among the Missouri crowd that the Big Ten may be backing off and decided if Notre Dame won't go, they will only add Nebraska as a 12th team and wait to expand to 14 or 16.

If Nebraska goes, the South will go as well -- unless Colorado is able to stave off Baylor.

Here's their ultimate armageddon scenario. While the Big 12 bylaws require a super majority of 9 votes to make any bylaw changes, the conference is a Delaware corporation. Delaware law (allegedly) requires only a majority vote to dissolve the corporation.

So, if the South and NU bolt the conference, they could vote 7-5 to dissolve the Big 12. In that case, penalties for leaving the conference would be waived. That would leave the MU, KU, K-State, Iowa State and BU/CU alone in the cold with no money from penalties.

If you thought the Big East/ACC lawsuits were something, wait til this sorts its way out.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #1347
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You think so? I get the impression the conferences are far more concerned with things like whether a school is a part of the AAU and what their research profile and funding is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1348
MJ4H
Coordinator

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #1349
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Saw this post on a Missouri blog which shows what KC is talking about:

Quote:
Here is the latest, and very distrubing, news on the Big 10 front. NU has received an offer from the Big 10, and will accept the invitation over the objection of Osborne who has described himslef as getting "cold feet" recently over the move. However, others "above his pay-grade" have already made the call, and Nebraska is going to the Big 10.

MU has not received an offer, and likely will not for the foreseeable future. Although we had reached an "understanding" with the Big 10, Notre Dame has since reentered the picture and has "refused to be put on a clock" concerning their decision for membership in the Big 10. Thus, the Big 10 is now making the decision to offer only Nebraska and take a wait-and-see approach on further offers for now until the Notre Dame issue is resolved.

Now, this is where it has gotten very scary for us: Texas has made it very clear to all involved that they have 5 other institutions waiting to, in their words, "bolt for the Pac 10" the moment Nebraska announces its agreement with the Big 10. This, according to them, is a "done deal" with the Pac 10 (As a parentthetical, it appears that Baylor, not CU will be part of that move, given Texas' insistence to the Pac 10, but I did not verify that fact for certain).

Thus, here is the position we are now in. Texas' (and other's) lawyers have concluded that it takes a simple majority to dissolve the Big 12. After Nebrasksa announces, the gang of six, either with or without Nebraska, can vote to dissolve the Big 12 as a conference (which they would all have a massive vested financial interest in doing). This would have the legal effect of, among other things, removing the financial penalties for withdrawl from the conference (estimted at almost $15 million per leaving institution, or roughly $105 million in total), as well as removing us as a BCS conference and dissolving our TV contract. In essence, we are about to be left holding an empty bag with very little recourse if any.

Why would the Big 10 do this to us? Jim delany is a shark, and he gets/understands all of the above. By simply bringing in one big 12 school (Nebraska, not MU), he can destroy the Big 12 as a conference (his major competitor for the midwest market) and still leave himself up to 5 slots to play with (Delaney, as he should be, cares only about what is best for his employer. This is business to him). He can then offer MU at his leisure at a later date, or not, as they see fit. Furthermore, Delaney gets that MU has some bargaining leverage at the moment as a member of the Big 12. Remove that membership (which everyone now gets will follow with certitude), and MU will clearly be willing to entertain a future Big 10 offer at a much better price for the Big 10 than what we would take toady. So even if the Big 10 ultimately wants MU, they still can get us but at a price that saves their membership millions fo dollars (i.e. - We, unlike Nebraska, will not be given full equity partnership for several years at a minimum - Or would need to buy our way in).

I wish it were not so. But I am certain that what I just wrote is about to befall us. Ugh.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #1350
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Saw this post on a Missouri blog which shows what KC is talking about:

But, but, I thought the whole reason for Big Ten expansion was to bring in Missouri?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote