Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #1301
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I can't even get the game to install, shit. Works fine when I try on my kids pc. The splash screen comes up, then I click install.. cd spins up and nothing after that. Weird.

Try this Todd.

Give this a try. Goto to your cd rom folder on my computer and right click and click on explore to open it.

Then click on the setup exe file in there to install it.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #1302
dbd1963
High School JV

Is anyone else having a problem with being able to cancel the instructions to the QB? This may somehow be related to my crazy computer.

I have had an injury -- they are hard to see and I just happened to notice Fred Thomas writhing on the ground. Then I saw a small drop down menu, in the same spot as the place you click to hike the ball. It listed Fred Thomas' name and then said he had a rib injury for 7P. I took that to mean 7 periods, but maybe it's 7 days probable or something because he was right back in the game.

Last edited by dbd1963 : 06-25-2006 at 04:44 PM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #1303
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963
Is anyone else having a problem with being able to cancel the instructions to the QB? This may somehow be related to my crazy computer.

I have had an injury -- they are hard to see and I just happened to notice Fred Thomas writhing on the ground. Then I saw that a small drop down menu, in the same spot as the place you click to hike the ball. It listed Fred Thomas' name and then said he had a rib injury for 7P. I took that to mean 7 periods, but maybe it's 7 days probable or something because he was right back in the game.
7p means seven plays?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #1304
dbd1963
High School JV

That would make sense, but I remember seeing #22 back on the field two plays later -- however, this was very late last night. I might have hit a zone and lost track of all time and space..
Old 06-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #1305
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I know this is trivial in the big picture, but it is just bugging the hell out of me.
Couldn't they match the quote with the picture of the right coach?
GAH!

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #1306
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Woo Hoo!! After messing around for a bit, I went into task manager and then saw NFLHeadCoach was running like 5 times, killed all of them and retried. Worked like a charm.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #1307
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Woo Hoo!! After messing around for a bit, I went into task manager and then saw NFLHeadCoach was running like 5 times, killed all of them and retried. Worked like a charm.

Glad you got it working.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #1308
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bselig
I've been running Vince Young 30+ times a game and he hasn't been hurt so far.
Vince Young didn't get hurt running. He got hurt trying to tackle a DB after he threw an interception.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #1309
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt
I know this is trivial in the big picture, but it is just bugging the hell out of me.
Couldn't they match the quote with the picture of the right coach?
GAH!
I believe all of the pix are of current coaches while the quotes are from the "HOF" coaches. I truly dislike the Dennis Green pic of him in those shades.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #1310
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Glad you got it working.

Me too.

I know there are issues as many have said, but so far I'm addicted. I think I'll be up late tonight.

I was nervous when my owner interviewed me for the job. I really like it when you fire a coach, he gets up and leaves the room.. makes the room feel like there's a lot of tension.

I would love to see a sequel out of this game.

Back to the game....
Old 06-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #1311
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
From Tom Brady's real-life game log:

DateOppCmpAttPctYdsYds/AttTDInt1stSckRtg

Nov. 27KC224055.02486.21414342.5

It's a problem if it happens 5 times out of 16 -- it's not if it happens 1 out of 16 times.

It is problem when it happens every game. I'm averaging 7-8 interceptions a game. That is way high. One game can be a fluke, but this is a known problem.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #1312
GrantDawg

Quote:
I haven't seen any injuries during practice or games yet. Maybe that can be changed via sliders at some point, since RA has had it happen at least once.

I think these sliders might be the real sliders. I maxed out WR catching this game, and each WR corp only had 1 dropped ball. Big Ben did throw 3 picks, but two of them were late in the game when he was forcing it in since his side was down.

I haven't had an in-game injury yet, either. It is possible that the sliders work, and this game just has the same problem Madden had in 2005 with too many interceptions and low completion rates whatever you do. I hope not because that really does kill the fun. 35-45% completion rates are boring.

You must be killing a lot of time to get those play numbers at 9 minutes. I've played two games at 8 minutes (170+ plays) and one at 7 (145+). I'm thinking 6, or even quite possibily the default *gasp*. I do wait until the linemen sets the blocking scheme before I snap the ball, but that still means snapping at 25 seconds on the play clock.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #1313
hawk4669
High School JV

Ugh.

Just experienced the bug where I hit a key (unknown which one) and my User Interface, ability to call plays, etc went *poof* good bye.

Unable to figure out what I did wrong, I had to exit the game.....and during a tight contest with the Eagles where I had the lead.

That sucked. Oh well....heading to kick off the game for a second time.

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #1314
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I haven't had an in-game injury yet, either. It is possible that the sliders work, and this game just has the same problem Madden had in 2005 with too many interceptions and low completion rates whatever you do. I hope not because that really does kill the fun. 35-45% completion rates are boring.

You must be killing a lot of time to get those play numbers at 9 minutes. I've played two games at 8 minutes (170+ plays) and one at 7 (145+). I'm thinking 6, or even quite possibily the default *gasp*. I do wait until the linemen sets the blocking scheme before I snap the ball, but that still means snapping at 25 seconds on the play clock.

Wow. I'm not killing that much time. I sometimes change my QB's progression or strategy at the line, but I'm generally snapping the ball between 20-25 seconds. I am running the ball quite a bit which of course keeps the clock running. I'm sticking with 8 minutes for now, but I might drop down to 7 minutes if I get quicker at setting the strategies.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #1315
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
More details.

Interface is terrible.

The fact that you can only do two depth chart movements per coach time is terrible.

The slowness between phases is terrible.

Hiring coaches is terrible, the interview is garbage.

For daily Practice, the fact I have to run each play is terrible.

I don't even really like the gameplay mode. Playcalling is terrible.

Good concept, terrible implementation. I wasted my money.

Keep in mind I don't have the game yet... but...

Astro and Gary Gorski brought up some similar things as "problems" that I see as good things.. mainly the fact of how you can only do limited "actions" and have to do them in your office time... that you are limited to what you can do in practice, etc...

To me this is realistic, does no one else feel the same wya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #1316
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I just got the game tonight at Best Buy. Going to installed and give it a go.

People are saying in other forums, winning games is very easy.

I hope that not true and hopefully a slider can change the difficult on it too.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #1317
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

Astro and Gary Gorski brought up some similar things as "problems" that I see as good things.. mainly the fact of how you can only do limited "actions" and have to do them in your office time... that you are limited to what you can do in practice, etc...

From what I've read, yes and no.

I don't have an issue with only being able to add a couple of plays. I don't think you recreate a playbook in an afternoon.

On the other hand, being able to set two spots in the depth chart up? Good lord.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #1318
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
From what I've read, yes and no.

I don't have an issue with only being able to add a couple of plays. I don't think you recreate a playbook in an afternoon.

On the other hand, being able to set two spots in the depth chart up? Good lord.
Agreed with both of your points.

Also, I find that it's ridiculously easy to win games. There is no difficulty level, so I'm at a loss as to how to make the game harder other than house rules.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #1319
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

Wade,

I agreed with the theory untill I tried how they implemented it. You will see what I mean once you try the game yourself.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #1320
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Also don't have the game, and agree with a lot of your points (and others), but the one part that I really can't understand is the whole only shifting 2 guys around the depth chart during one "session." I don't see how that makes sense at all.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #1321
dbd1963
High School JV

Those sessions are blocked as 30 minutes of your day, so perhaps that's a part of it. Maybe to get the decisions worked out you have to call.. or whatever, it was a game balancing decision I guess.

I just did a 6 minute quarter game against the Falcons and it was just about perfect. 117 plays plus all the special teams plays puts it about the average range.

I did see five INTs, but they started Matt Schaub. And Leinart threw two of them (which I expect from a rookie).

I also discovered the "reset" button in the talk to QB menu, so my problem from before wasn't a bug. If anyone else has this problem, scroll all the way to the end and there is a reset, red so you can't miss it.. unless you never scrolled that far before.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #1322
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I do, even though I was annoyed at times that I could only add 2 plays per office session.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #1323
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Agreed with both of your points.

Also, I find that it's ridiculously easy to win games. There is no difficulty level, so I'm at a loss as to how to make the game harder other than house rules.

That's really weird that it's easy to win games. I guess the playcalling AI is bad. Considering they talk about coaching so much in this game, you would think they would program each team after their respective coaches tendencies??

I haven't made it to a game yet though...
Old 06-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #1324
dbd1963
High School JV

I have won all three games in the regular season, but I lost two in the preseason. The two I lost, I never had a chance. It had to do with not having had enough time to prepare the team.

Since preseason, my defense is always prepared (I chose former defensive coordinator) but my offense has some problems. If the INT problem is ironed out for the other side, I'd probably not have won one of my regular season games. I think all three opponents were weak, too. So I'm not sure it's totally easy yet. I'll give it 8 games and see. If my Saints are 8-0, or even 6-2, then maybe there is a problem here..
Old 06-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #1325
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do, even though I was annoyed at times that I could only add 2 plays per office session.

look for your pregame meeting, apparently you can add all plays that you want at that time
Old 06-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #1326
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
look for your pregame meeting, apparently you can add all plays that you want at that time

I know, but that doesn't help with the training camp which is before any games start.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #1327
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's really weird that it's easy to win games. I guess the playcalling AI is bad. Considering they talk about coaching so much in this game, you would think they would program each team after their respective coaches tendencies??

I haven't made it to a game yet though...

I didn't find it too easy to win when the Ravens were pounding the rock down my throat..
Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #1328
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't find it too easy to win when the Ravens were pounding the rock down my throat..
Just like in Madden I find that if you blitz a lot, it nullifies the run as well as the pass. Try doing the base 4-3 defense (or under or over 4-3) using LB Dogs or Edge Sting. The Under Smoke play in Nickle or Quarter Defense works well against the run since most DBs are faster than LBs.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #1329
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I'll find out for myself.

I did get a trade offer from the Seahawks which I'm going to accept as soon as I can. It was one of their decent (not Trufant) CB's for my tackle Rex Tucker who was going to backup Barron this coming year for me anyway.

Some things are kind of tedious, but I'm still liking this game a lot. I really like how your coaches give input and you decide on what to do from there.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #1330
AgustusM
College Prospect

WOW - I have been away from my computer all weekend doing things with my family and I get on tonight and see this utility which fixes the biggest problem - woo hoo!!!

the game still has warts, but this is a nice fix for now.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #1331
cwilloughby
Mascot

New version posted!

Download it here.

The sliders in this version do update the "correct" spot in the data file. I also added options to enable windowed mode (may have to start and exit game before this takes effect), and exporting of game logs (saved in My Documents/NFL Head Coach/Stats/Career#/). There is also now a Defaults button in the bottom right to restore any wrong doings on your part :P.

If you enable the logs you can see that the sliders are indeed updating. Even with interceptions at 0, however, I just had a game with five of them using 5 minute quarters. I think part of this was a fluke, and there were at least 4 or 5 more that would have been pics before the slider change.

Here is the log from the game:
Code:
NFL HEAD COACH PC v5.0.2.1 Game Log - BILLS at PANTHERS Game Time: Mon Jun 26 01:57:56 2006 Skill Level: Pro Quarter Length: 5 minute(s) Slider Human CPU QB Accuracy 50 50 Pass Blocking 50 50 Receiver Catching 50 50 Running Ability 50 50 Offensive line Run Blocking 50 50 Defensive Awareness 50 50 Defensive line Knockdowns 50 50 Interceptions 0 0 Defensive Break Blocks 50 50 Tackling 50 50 Fieldgoal Length 50 50 Fieldgoal Accuracy 50 50 Punt Length 50 50 Punt Accuracy 50 50 Kickoff Length 50 50 Weather Forecast: Fair Wind: 4 mph Temp: 61 degrees Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 OT FINAL BILLS 21 7 14 0 0 42 PANTHERS 0 0 0 0 0 0 Game Statistics: BILLS PANTHERS First Downs 6 6 Third Down Conversions 2 1 Third Downs 8 14 Third Down Percentage 25.0% 7.1% Forth Down Conversions 0 0 Fourth Downs 0 0 Fourth Down Percentage 0.0% 0.0% Two Pt Conversions Made 0 0 Two Pt Conversions Attempted 0 0 Two Pt Conversion Percentage 0.0% 0.0% Offense Redzone Num 1 0 Offense Redzone TDs 1 0 Offense Redzone FGs 0 0 Offense Redzone Percentage 100.0% 0.0% Rushing Attempts 21 25 Rushing Yards 77 89 Rushing Average 3.7 3.6 Rushing TDs 1 0 Passing Yards 220 46 Passing Completions 8 6 Passing Attempts 20 27 Completion Percentage 40.0% 22.2% Passing Average 11.0 1.7 Passing TDs 3 0 Offensive Pass Interceptions 2 3 TOTAL OFFENSE 297 135 Defensive Pass Interceptions 3 2 Punt Return Yards 0 0 Kick Return Yards 33 137 Punts 5 10 Punt Avg 45.6 38.3 Fumbles 0 0 Fumbles Lost 0 0 Penalties 2 3 Penalty Yds 17 32 Turnovers 2 3 TIME OF POSSESSION 09:59 10:01 Individual Stats: PANTHERS PASSING CMP ATT YDS PCT YPA SACK TD INT LONG RATING Jake Delhomme 6 27 52 22 1.9 2 0 3 25 0.0 RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LONG TD FUM Stephen Davis 19 73 3.8 9 0 0 DeShaun Foster 6 16 2.6 6 0 0 RECEIVING REC YDS AVG LONG TD DROP YAC Sinorice Moss 1 25 25.0 25 0 1 0 Steve Smith 2 8 4.0 6 0 1 0 Nick Goings 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 7 Michael Gaines 1 7 7.0 7 0 0 0 Keary Colbert 1 4 4.0 4 0 0 1 KICKING FGM FGA PCT FGSBLOCKED XPA XPM PCT XPSBLOCKED KICKOFFS TOUCHBACKS John Kasay 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 PUNTING ATT YDS AVG LONG BLOCKS IN20 TOUCHBACKS Tom Tupa 10 383 38.2 45 0 0 2 KICK RETURNS ATT YDS AVG TD LONG Steve Smith 7 137 19.5 0 26 PUNT RETURNS ATT YDS AVG LONG TD Steve Smith 0 0 0.0 0 0 DEFENSE TOT LOSS SACK FF FREC YDS TD INT RET AVG DEFLECTIONS SAFETIES Will Witherspoon 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Dan Morgan 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Ken Lucas 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Kris Jenkins 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Chris Gamble 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Brentson Buckner 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Thomas Davis 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 11 11.0 0 0 Julius Peppers 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Mike Minter 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 16 16.0 0 0 Sean Tufts 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Mike Wahle 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Mike Rucker 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Jeremy Bloom 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Chris Draft 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Idrees Bashir 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 2 0 Al Wallace 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 BLOCKING PANCAKES SACKS ALLOWED Jeff Mitchell 12 0 Jordan Gross 9 0 Travelle Wharton 6 0 Mike Wahle 4 0 Tutan Reyes 4 0 Nick Goings 3 1 Michael Gaines 1 0 Kris Mangum 1 0 Individual Stats: BILLS PASSING CMP ATT YDS PCT YPA SACK TD INT LONG RATING Kelly Holcomb 8 20 220 40 11.0 0 3 2 63 81.2 RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LONG TD FUM Willis McGahee 15 58 3.8 27 1 0 Shaud Williams 5 12 2.3 8 0 0 Kelly Holcomb 1 7 7.0 7 0 0 RECEIVING REC YDS AVG LONG TD DROP YAC Lee Evans 3 64 21.3 43 2 0 6 Robert Holcombe 1 63 63.0 63 1 0 42 Eric Moulds 1 31 31.0 31 0 0 20 Mark Campbell 1 26 26.0 26 0 0 11 Sam Aiken 1 25 25.0 25 0 0 7 Willis McGahee 1 11 11.0 11 0 0 0 KICKING FGM FGA PCT FGSBLOCKED XPA XPM PCT XPSBLOCKED KICKOFFS TOUCHBACKS Rian Lindell 0 0 0 0 6 6 100 0 7 0 PUNTING ATT YDS AVG LONG BLOCKS IN20 TOUCHBACKS Brian Moorman 5 228 45.5 59 0 3 1 KICK RETURNS ATT YDS AVG TD LONG Terrence McGee 1 33 33.0 0 33 Nate Clements 0 0 0.0 0 0 PUNT RETURNS ATT YDS AVG LONG TD Terrence McGee 0 0 0.0 0 0 Nate Clements 1 0 0.0 0 0 DEFENSE TOT LOSS SACK FF FREC YDS TD INT RET AVG DEFLECTIONS SAFETIES London Fletcher 6 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 4 4.0 0 0 Takeo Spikes 4 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 69 69.0 1 0 DeMario Minter 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 1 0 Nate Clements 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 1 0 Terrence McGee 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Lawyer Milloy 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Liam Ezekiel 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Josh Reed 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Haloti Ngata 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Rashad Baker 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Jeff Posey 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Eric Moulds 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Coy Wire 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Aaron Schobel 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Troy Vincent 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 70 70.0 0 0 Chris Villarrial 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Donte Whitner 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Angelo Crowell 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Mario Haggan 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Jabari Greer 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 Chris Kelsay 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 BLOCKING PANCAKES SACKS ALLOWED Bennie Anderson 5 0 Mike Gandy 4 0 Chris Villarrial 4 0 Jason Peters 2 0 Trey Teague 2 0 Robert Holcombe 2 0 Mark Campbell 1 0 Tim Euhus 1 0 Game Log Ends ------------------------------------------------------------

Also, it should be noted that for some reason, the extremes of the kicking sliders are only from 25-75. I'll have to look into this more tomorrow.

Anyway, as with before. Make sure you backup your stuff before even looking at this bad boy!

Let me know how it works for you!
Chris W.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #1332
KJDelaney
High School JV

Thanks for you work on this. As soon as I come home next week from my bsuiness trip, I will have to give it a go.
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #1333
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Holy moley! Thanks Chris! This is awesome! I'll check it out this morning.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #1334
GrantDawg

Skill level: Pro

There's the problem. Can that be changed? If it can, will it through the balance the other way? Were did you get the log, btw?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #1335
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't have the game, but I think cwill deserves a freaking award for that mod. Very impressive.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #1336
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Just played my first game. It seemed as if the sliders worked. (Vince Young vs. Charlie Frye) There were only two interceptions in the whole game, one by each QB. Very very nice! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #1337
Yossarian
High School Varsity

has anyone developed any insight into how to use 'motivation'?

It seems a bit random to me. Choosing option 1 will sometimes cause a + and sometimes a - even on the same player.

I tried being agressive after a player screwed up and being nice when they played well but the outcome was still fairly random.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #1338
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Just played my first game. It seemed as if the sliders worked. (Vince Young vs. Charlie Frye) There were only two interceptions in the whole game, one by each QB. Very very nice! Thanks!

Shouldn't it be more like three interceptions..each, for these two inexperienced QBs ?
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #1339
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
has anyone developed any insight into how to use 'motivation'?

It seems a bit random to me. Choosing option 1 will sometimes cause a + and sometimes a - even on the same player.

I tried being agressive after a player screwed up and being nice when they played well but the outcome was still fairly random.
This one guy posted at MaddenMania that if the player says something like "Yes sir" then you should go passive. The "sup?" response indicates that you should go aggressive. I have found this not to be true, but it works about 75% of the time.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #1340
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow

Great job on the utility.

I am disappointed there one skill level and its on Pro. No wonder the games played out is so easy. A lot of people in other forums are saying there winning a lot of games regardless what team they pick.

Did'nt Pro and Rookie level on Madden give the edge to the human team. I think the next level after pro gives both side even.

I sure hope there a way to change the difficult level too.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #1341
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd think it would be possible to adjust the difficulty to some degree using the sliders and giving the computer AI an advantage (or the human a disadvantage). At some point you should be able to get to where the stats are somewhat reasonable and there's a balance between the human and computer controlled teams since you don't actually control the action on the field. Probably not going to be great, but I'd think you could get something reasonable with some work and experimenting.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #1342
cwilloughby
Mascot

I noticed the Skill Level just sitting in the config file next to everything else. I see no reason why it can't be changed. I'll look into this next.

Chris W.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #1343
jefflackey
n00b

Dumb question - I can't find what the indicators in the boxes to the upper right of a player profile mean, for example, in checking out players coming into the draft some will have a red "WS", some will have a PS, etc. I assume it has something to do with scouting, but I don't see any correlations. What really frustrates me is not being able to find anything about it in the manual.

Thanks
jefflackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #1344
jefflackey
n00b

Replying to my own message - the light bulb just went off, I assume these mean Scouted, Poorly Scouted, Well Scouted.
jefflackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #1345
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I think its an interesting idea, one which SAAP has used in the past I believe with their player talks etc. (only so many allowed during one time slot).

Personally I'm against that sort of thing simply because its hard to justify the time taken for each of activities as 'right' for each person when if you give two people irl the same set of tasks each will spend different proportions of time on each of the sub-tasks.

As such I'm happy to leave such things 'open' and unrestricted - if people themselves want to set a house rule that they can only do 'x' transfers per day or whatever then thats fine with me, but it'll remain a house rule for the foreseeable in my games.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #1346
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey
Replying to my own message - the light bulb just went off, I assume these mean Scouted, Poorly Scouted, Well Scouted.

Yep, that was on the help menu in the demo. Not sure if it's there in the full version.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #1347
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I think its an interesting idea, one which SAAP has used in the past I believe with their player talks etc. (only so many allowed during one time slot).

Personally I'm against that sort of thing simply because its hard to justify the time taken for each of activities as 'right' for each person when if you give two people irl the same set of tasks each will spend different proportions of time on each of the sub-tasks.

As such I'm happy to leave such things 'open' and unrestricted - if people themselves want to set a house rule that they can only do 'x' transfers per day or whatever then thats fine with me, but it'll remain a house rule for the foreseeable in my games.

Definately a fair argument.

I guess my thing is it seems weird to call these "terrible decisions"... I think they are deicisions that make a lot of sense for many players to build up realism, and not for others...

*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #1348
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Definately a fair argument.

I guess my thing is it seems weird to call these "terrible decisions"... I think they are deicisions that make a lot of sense for many players to build up realism, and not for others...
I largely agree. The concept behind some of these things may not be realistic, but the end result is. I think it adds something that you can't overhaul your team overnight by trading your entire roster or changing your entire lineup without simming a day. Making radical changes on the depth chart just doesn't happen much in real life, nor does making over a roster in day. And the game actually gives you plenty of opportunities to make these changes, you just have to plan appropriately.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #1349
Hurst2112
College Starter

didn't check to see if anybody posted this.

I just went to Best Buy this morning and paid, with tax...31.64.

Not bad, not bad.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #1350
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

I'm not saying its not realistic - yeah in an hour or half hour block you can probably only sit down and call 3 GMs and talk about trades or call 3 agents about signing their players...and if coaching the virtual Detroit Lions was my real job that would be fine but I despise the fact that I had to play 9 real hours of game play to get to one preseason game.

My gripe is that they made things realistic that are tedious and then abandonded reality in the things that would have been fun. 30 seconds to make a trade during someone else's pick in the draft? Why not give me 5-15 minutes there to work the phones and make trades and why can I only try to make like three trades during the draft? Do real NFL GMs contact fewer than three other teams the entire draft day? To me the day to day stuff is just a tedious click fest - that's great that you can only add two plays to the playbook in a half hour - but doing it that way means hundreds of more clicks to get in and out of that screen over and over again.

Like I said earlier, the idea is great and the execution was terrible. I think the only reason people are not up in arms about this is because of the idea of a 3D football management sim is such a sexy one that some people are willing to overlook the design flaws because they want it so bad. You tell me though, if you played Total College Basketball and I made you only able to call 3 recruits per session in the day and took away the automatic weekly call list, made you click on every individual player to learn anything about him as opposed to giving you the ability to view stats and ratings for the entire team at a glance and subjected you to pointless meetings with the AD where he tells you for the third week in a row that you need to recruit a power forward or with your coaching staff flip flopping on the same two players every week would you find those things acceptable or would you be ripping it as a tedious click fest? I'm not ripping on anyone who likes it - if you're satisfied with Head Coach then good for you - I liked the idea and wanted it very much to be that perfect version of what some of us always hoped Front Page Sports would evolve into and to me it was just designed so poorly that its often times more frustrating than fun.