Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #1301
Galaxy
Coordinator

EF,
Great to hear about Wyndham giving your wife full-pay for two months. I don't think they have a hotel in Little Rock under that brand (it's pretty upscale), but can she transfer to another hotel?

I hope your large savings for the new house isn't getting drain too much.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-02-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #1302
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have a prediction that FEMA will be re-organized under the Dept of Defense.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #1303
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I have a prediction that FEMA will be re-organized under the Dept of Defense.

I sure hope so. At the very least taken out of the bloated Department of Homeland Securty.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #1304
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
Your assumptions about my god are completely ridiculous.

A question for all those rushing to judge my post..

Whats the point of personally attacking me for pointing out that large numbers of people draw a historical likeness from a biblical happening??

Caught this right before ingoring you.

Its not about drawing comparisons, its about you giving credence to a theologically cracked theory that for some how and some way these people brought this death and destruction upon themselves..

You're sick.Do me a favor and leave the board please. I sure as hell don't need to see more fanatical crap of this level here. I've seen my fill.

Last edited by RendeR : 09-02-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #1305
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Not sure if this was posted yet - the back story to the renegade busses that arrived at the Astrodome yesterday.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/3334317

Quote:
School bus comandeered by renegade refugees first to arrive at Astrodome
Quote:

By SALATHEIA BRYANT and CYNTHIA LEONOR GARZA
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The first busload of New Orleans refugees to reach the Reliant Astrodome overnight was a group of people who commandeered a school bus in the city ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and drove to Houston looking for shelter.

Jabbar Gibson, 20, said police in New Orleans told him and others to take the school bus and try to get out of the flooded city.

Gibson drove the bus from the flooded Crescent City, picking up stranded people, some of them infants, along the way. Some of those on board had been in the Superdome, among those who were supposed to be evacuated to Houston on more than 400 buses Wednesday and today. They couldn't wait.

The group of mostly teenagers and young adults pooled what little money they had to buy diapers for the babies and fuel for the bus.

After arriving at the Astrodome at about 10:30 p.m., however, they initially were refused entry by Reliant officials who said the aging landmark was reserved for the 23,000 people being evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

"Now, we don't have nowhere to go," Gibson said. "We heard the Astrodome was open for people from New Orleans. We ain't ate right, we ain't slept right. They don't want to give us no help. They don't want to let us in."

Milling about the Reliant entrance, Sheila Nathan, 38, told her teary-eyed toddler that she was too tired to hold him.

"I'm trying to make it a fairy tale so they won't panic," said Nathan, who had four grandchildren in tow. "I have to be strong for them."

After about 20 minutes of confusion and consternation, Red Cross officials announced that the group of about 50 to 70 evacuees would be allowed into the Astrodome.

All were grateful to be out of the devastation and misery that had overtaken their hometown.

"I feel good to get out of New Orleans," said Demetrius Henderson, who got off the bus with his wife and three children. Many of those around him alternated between excited, cranky and nervous, clutching suitcases or plastic garbage bags of clothes.

They looked as bedraggled as their grueling ride would suggest: 13 hours on the commandeered bus driven by a 20-year-old man. Watching bodies float by as they tried to escape the drowning city. Picking up people along the way. Three stops for fuel. Chugging into Reliant Park, only to be told initially that they could not spend the night.

Every bit worth it.

"We took the bus and got out of the city. We were trying to get out of the city," James Hickerson said.

Several passengers on the bus said they took the matter into their own hands earlier Wednesday because they felt rescuers and New Orleans authorities were too slow in offering help.

"They are not worried about us," said Makivia Horton, 22, who is five months pregnant.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #1306
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pumpy, that is truly great news. It makes me feel a bit guilty about posting my own good news which pales in comparision of importance.

First, our plans to go to Olive Garden or a buffet changed as no one wanted either tonight. So, we went to a place called the "best barbeque in North Little Rock" by our hotel's clerk. It was quite good. The waitress recognized our Hibernia card as she used to live in New Orleans. She got the owner to make our 70 plus dollar meal half price! That was good news bit #1.

I just arrived back at the room and finally LSU has posted. I'm now offically on special leave with full pay!!!! That status is effective until September 30th. It will be re-evaluated at the end of the month. I can be re-assigned to wherever they need me, but they will make "all attempts" to place me where the storm forced me to re-locate. Therefore, it looks like there is a chance they'll provide me with work in Shreveport. Regardless, I will be paid and that just lessened the financial hit of this whole situation considerably.

Again, I sort of feel bad even worrying about that, when I read about situations such as Pumpy's friend went through. I'm glad he is well Pumpy.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #1307
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

I'm sure JoninMiddleGA still wants the kid arrested.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #1308
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Not sure if this was posted yet - the back story to the renegade busses that arrived at the Astrodome yesterday.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/3334317

[b][size=2]

Thanks Farrah. That is the first time I read this. I am wondering if this is one of those buses people were speculating was stolen. Well I guess that is not important, but I am proud of what Houston was able to do for these people in a short amount of time. To fill the Astrodome in that short amount of time is amazing to me.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #1309
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Pumpy, that is truly great news. It makes me feel a bit guilty about posting my own good news which pales in comparision of importance.

First, our plans to go to Olive Garden or a buffet changed as no one wanted either tonight. So, we went to a place called the "best barbeque in North Little Rock" by our hotel's clerk. It was quite good. The waitress recognized our Hibernia card as she used to live in New Orleans. She got the owner to make our 70 plus dollar meal half price! That was good news bit #1.

I just arrived back at the room and finally LSU has posted. I'm now offically on special leave with full pay!!!! That status is effective until September 30th. It will be re-evaluated at the end of the month. I can be re-assigned to wherever they need me, but they will make "all attempts" to place me where the storm forced me to re-locate. Therefore, it looks like there is a chance they'll provide me with work in Shreveport. Regardless, I will be paid and that just lessened the financial hit of this whole situation considerably.

Again, I sort of feel bad even worrying about that, when I read about situations such as Pumpy's friend went through. I'm glad he is well Pumpy.

Been a good night for you EF! Congrats.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #1310
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

They must of thought for a long time about the name of that restaurant? Great to hear about the discount (what is a Hibernia card?) as well as the full-pay with leave.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-02-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #1311
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Thanks Farrah. That is the first time I read this. I am wondering if this is one of those buses people were speculating was stolen. Well I guess that is not important, but I am proud of what Houston was able to do for these people in a short amount of time. To fill the Astrodome in that short amount of time is amazing to me.

I don't know if it was one of the busses people thought were stolen. Honestly I don't care. To me this is not the same thing as looting a dvd player.

I'm trying to find more stories like this. I think the cable news media is doing a terrible job of covering the good news stories like these. I'll post all that I find here.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #1312
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know if it was one of the busses people thought were stolen. Honestly I don't care. To me this is not the same thing as looting a dvd player.

I'm trying to find more stories like this. I think the cable news media is doing a terrible job of covering the good news stories like these. I'll post all that I find here.

Please do....this thread has gotten really political and negative at times.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #1313
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Galaxy,

Hibernia is a bank that I think is strictly in Louisiana. The waitress used to live in New Orleans and bank with Hibernia and asked if we were from there. I used my Hibernia bank/mastercard to pay for dinner which was quite fortitutous.

The actual name of the restaurant was "Walkers Bar-B-Que Company." It is sort of a combo bar/restaurant but the Barbeque was delicious and we greatly appreciated their generosity.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #1314
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Airlines are starting to fly evacuees out of N.O.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ines02-ON.html

Quote:
Airlines' voluntary relief effort begins

Associated Press

Sept. 2, 2005 01:35 PM WASHINGTON - Relief flights donated by airlines began to fly into Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans at a rate of about four an hour, beginning midday Friday.

Transportation Department spokesman Greg Martin said the planes will be bringing in supplies and leaving with people. Most of the flights will take refugees to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas.

The first flight on Friday, he said, was a Spirit Airlines MD-83.

The airport building and runway weren't damaged much by Hurricane Katrina, but navigational aids such as radar and runway lights weren't working.

Martin said the Federal Aviation Administration was able to establish limited operations within a day of the hurricane. Work over the past few days allowed the airport and air traffic control to sustain a more systematic relief effort Friday.

Air traffic controllers in New Orleans are handling about 300 flights at any given time, Martin said. "All of them are providing humanitarian relief," he said.

The airport is now able to handle nighttime flights thanks to runway lights provided by the military, he said.

More than a dozen passenger airlines and their crews volunteered to provide emergency airlift to more than 25,000 New Orleans residents stranded after Hurricane Katrina.

They are Alaska Airlines, America West, American Airlines, ATA, Continental, Delta Air Lines, Jet Blue, Northwest, Southwest, United, US Airways and Air Canada.

Cargo carriers, including UPS, FedEX and ASTAR Air Cargo are also helping out.

James May, president of the airline trade group Air Transport Association, said Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Michael Jackson called him late Thursday afternoon to ask if the airlines were willing to fly people out of New Orleans.

"I checked with a couple of our carriers and the answer was, 'Absolutely,' " May said.

Some of the first planes ferried in law enforcement officers, federal air marshals and Transportation Security Administration screeners, he said.

Screening evacuees was necessary, May said, because they're anxious and stressed and some have guns.

"There's not a lot to screen," May said. "It's just individuals and a whole lot of plastic bags with not much in them."

Hundreds of private pilots have contacted their trade group, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, asking what they can do to help, said Chris Dancy, AOPA spokesman.

Some pilots have set up a shuttle service out of Baton Rouge, La., to evacuate high-risk people to Texas. Others are flying damage-assessment missions over the damaged region and bringing in critical supplies.

A pilot in Louisville, Ky., is recruiting pilots to work with a group called Vacation Rentals for Families.com that is finding people who will open their vacation homes to Katrina evacuees.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #1315
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Please do....this thread has gotten really political and negative at times.

At times? If SkyDog doesn't dish out several suspensions because of the way some people have acted in this thread, I'll be very disappointed (and just go to show that maybe Marmel and others are right about him). I'd say this is pretty much the most disgraceful display of callousness and political bashing opportunism (on both sides) I've seen on this board.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #1316
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Struggling to cope with widespread chaos in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans, Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco blasted telecommunications providers for the apparent collapse of the state's wireless network.

"The communications network is completely gone," Blanco said Thursday (Sept. 1) as the situation in New Orleans grew more chaotic by the hour. Blanco said wireless networks throughout the state remained down, and that state officials were unable to use hand-held communications devices like Blackberrys.

Hurricane Katrina has again exposed shortcomings in emergency communications networks and the vulnerability of wireless networks during emergencies. Critics said more spectrum needs to be earmarked for emergency communications, and that networks need more redundancy to function in disasters. As of Friday, calls to hurricane relief centers in Louisiana were still not being answered. The only response was that "all circuits are busy."

Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #1317
RendeR
Coordinator

Wait...the Gov. is blasting the companies? Shouldn't SHE have been informed of the status of the networks and perhaps ensured that they upgraded them to prepare for emergencies such as this? I really tire of all the pathetic finger pointing.

Its a natural disaster, its not any one person or groups fault. Gah.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #1318
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Anyone see the interview with the cop in The New Orleans Police Sub Station? Powerful stuff, the cop interviewed bashed the cops that deserted, calling them cowards and such. I commend him for doing that. They swore to uphold the law and some ran in the face of danger. Nice to know there's still some semblance of law in that little corneer of New Orleans.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #1319
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Wait...the Gov. is blasting the companies? Shouldn't SHE have been informed of the status of the networks and perhaps ensured that they upgraded them to prepare for emergencies such as this? I really tire of all the pathetic finger pointing.

Its a natural disaster, its not any one person or groups fault. Gah.

I don't know, I view it more of an over-reliance on expensive technology that has too many single points of failure. It's the old adage about hi-tech: when it works, it's a miracle; when it fails, life is ruined. I work in IT and there are some technologies that we are forsaking the new and going back to the old - due to stability and most importantly, lower cost.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #1320
JW
College Prospect

Do not forget the good people of rural south Louisiana. They are the salt of the earth. they are not the thugs running wild in New Orleans and preying on their own community. This was posted on an LSU sports internet forum that has been engaged almost totally in hurricane related business this week. I've just omitted the name.

The real story

Posted by xxxxxxxx on September 2, 2005 at 8:54 p.m.

I just mailed this to EVERY news organization in the US:

It is in complete disbelief that I write to you. Where is the real story with hurricane Katrina, and the aftermath? How can you air what you air, and sleep at night? How can you fuel the fire of racial hatred, and believe that that is newsworthy?

I am from Mamou, Louisiana. We are a small community of 3500 people. What we have done amazes me. Our community has come together like never before, in providing food, shelter, and clothing to over 450 evacuees. Of those served, only 3 have been white. We serve out of a sense of love. We serve out of a sense of humanity.

The Red Cross has not helped us, despite repeated requests. We have not heard from FEMA. Thankfully, the Salvation Army has helped us with some food items and water. We are housing these poor individuals by the good works of our community. We are a poor community, yet there is plenty for all. The physical, mental, material and spiritual needs of every evacuee have been attended to.

There are many here who have given all they had. There are children here who have given their only pair of tennis shoes. One young man came in today, and gave $7.00. It was all he had.

There are miracles that have occurred here. Over 100 families have been reunited. Sons with mothers, daughters and fathers, brothers with sisters. Our local dentists and physicians have treated for free.

Tonight, we wait for the placement of 50 evacuees from Tulane Medical Center. We will have the opportunity to serve those who chose to serve in a very difficult time.

There are tears, thanks, hugs, kisses, and stories.

Come to Mamou, Louisiana. See what love can do. See what a community giving out it’s heart to total strangers looks like. Report what is really happening in Louisiana. There are countless numbers of small communities who have opened their doors because of their compassion and good heartedness.

Promoting those who would have you believe that there is a racial or political agenda in the rescue efforts is not only counterproductive-it is blatantly false. The nation deserves to see the real Louisiana, and its’ people. Perhaps it is not as exciting to see a community empty itself to those in need. Perhaps it is not newsworthy. But it is real…and being lived everyday in communities across our great state.

Our state has received much bad publicity because of a few bad apples, and rightfully so. But, the Louisiana you portray is not the real Louisiana.

Thanks you.

name
address
Mamou, Louisiana 70554
phone number
Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #1321
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/nba/36-642568.html

Okla. City Mayor Offers to Host Hornets

Sep 2, 2005 : 12:23 pm ET

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City offered to become the home of the New Orleans Hornets this season following the devastation by Hurricane Katrina.

Mayor Mick Cornett acknowledged Friday that a Louisiana site would be the obvious choice for the Hornets. But he suggested Oklahoma City's Ford Center, which does not have a major league tenant, as an option.

"We could be the temporary home for the team and we're available if that makes sense to the city of New Orleans," Cornett said.

Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said no decision had been made on where the team would play.

Baton Rouge, La., could be a possibility. The city is home to LSU's Pete Maravich Assembly Center, which seats more than 14,000.

The Hornets open their preseason schedule Oct. 13 at Denver's Pepsi Center against the Nuggets. The Hornets will hold at least the first two weeks of training camp at the Air Force Academy in Colorado.

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 09-02-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #1322
Galaxy
Coordinator

Alot of cities are bidding to host these teams. Orlando's mayor wants to get the Saints.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #1323
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I don't know, I view it more of an over-reliance on expensive technology that has too many single points of failure. It's the old adage about hi-tech: when it works, it's a miracle; when it fails, life is ruined. I work in IT and there are some technologies that we are forsaking the new and going back to the old - due to stability and most importantly, lower cost.

I can see that, i just feel that its the responsibility of those in positions like Govorner, mayor, hell PRESIDENT, to be so completely knowledgable that you are able to forsee needs and plan accordingly.

Perhaps my expectations are simply too high. I haven't seen anyone like this other than Rudi Guliani(sp?) And I'm not even republican.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #1324
capsicum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
People familiar with the good book would also know that Noah got a promise from the Old Testament God not to use floods to "cleanse evil" anymore.

Absoloutely Correct! I applaud your knowledge of the Bible.

I hope you realise that I never stated I agreed with the articles sentiments, merely that people have been making suggestions like this on a pretty regular basis, and, like I said before, these people always come out of the woodwork when something like this happens. People around here in Northern California have been comparing Las Vegas and San Francisco to Sodom and Gomorrah for years.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #1325
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
Read the article..twice...still dont see any nutjobs.
These types of theories have been pondered many times.
Another thought to ponder...
Could San Fransico be next???

lemme guess. You're a Michael Savage fan, aren't you?

Gah. What a horrible horrible post.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #1326
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

Thank You for chiming in Cam, I don't generally agree with you on things either, but at least we do on this one.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #1327
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/nba/36-642568.html

Okla. City Mayor Offers to Host Hornets

Sep 2, 2005 : 12:23 pm ET

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City offered to become the home of the New Orleans Hornets this season following the devastation by Hurricane Katrina.

Mayor Mick Cornett acknowledged Friday that a Louisiana site would be the obvious choice for the Hornets. But he suggested Oklahoma City's Ford Center, which does not have a major league tenant, as an option.

"We could be the temporary home for the team and we're available if that makes sense to the city of New Orleans," Cornett said.

Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said no decision had been made on where the team would play.

Baton Rouge, La., could be a possibility. The city is home to LSU's Pete Maravich Assembly Center, which seats more than 14,000.

The Hornets open their preseason schedule Oct. 13 at Denver's Pepsi Center against the Nuggets. The Hornets will hold at least the first two weeks of training camp at the Air Force Academy in Colorado.

Its a nice move on cornetts part, but OKC just wouldnt do that great with the hornets. The last pro baskeball team just didnt pull in the numbers. I know this would be a temporary move most likely, but I dont think we are the right city. Im sure there are places that would bring in much larger crowds then here in okc.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 09-02-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #1328
Galaxy
Coordinator

Didn't capsicum just get a warning for her previous postings?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #1329
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Its a nice move on cornetts part, but OKC just wouldnt do that great with the hornets. The last pro baskeball team just didnt pull in the numbers. I know this would be a temporary move most likely, but I dont think we are the right city. Im sure there are places that would bring in much larger crowds then here in okc.

I would put my money (pun intended) on Vegas.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #1330
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Not exactly a positive story, but somewhat uplifting that this family was able to get out and make it to Tucson due to the kindness of truckers.

Link

Quote:
Katrina refugees arrive in Tucson

SHERYL KORNMAN
[email protected]

When Sheree McKain and Eric Bercey got into their 1997 Chevy van and drove out of New Orleans Saturday with their six children, mother-in-law Diane Baldwin and $100 in cash, they thought they'd escape Hurricane Katrina and then head back home. But now their 5-bedroom home is gone and so are their Louisiana lives.

Around their necks, McKain, Bercey and Baldwin wear the religious medals they were given today at St. Augustine Cathedral.

"Our faith will get us through," said Baldwin, 44.

The family of nine moved into two motel rooms this afternoon provided by the Travelers Aid Society of Tucson. They are stunned by their loss and worried about the fate of family and friends they left behind.

McKain, 27, said her ex-husband, the father of five of her children, lives in Tucson and so does his sister.

She thought they might be able to help.

Her former sister-in-law put them up for a night when they arrived here Tuesday after panhandling their way to Tucson.

They had two changes of clothes each and made do with $1 hamburgers from McDonalds.

They stopped at truck stops and told drivers who they were and where they were going and raised enough in $2 and $5 donations to keep gas in the van and food in their stomachs. They slept in the vehicle.

The Salvation Army put them up for two nights and directed them to Travelers Aid, the only local social services agency that can provide housing for families in crisis to keep them intact.

All of them, including the children, are exhausted from their journey and mourning the loss of their five-bedroom, two-bath home they worked years to afford.

Now they're in two sparsely furnished single motel rooms with trundle beds, kitchenettes, tiny bathrooms and room air conditioners to keep them cool.

The children helped move supplies of diapers and clothes from the van to their rooms.

The clothing was donated to them today along with a few books for the children.

Bercey, 29, is worried about his parents and other relatives he left behind when the family left New Orleans with their newest addition, baby Chrisaun, who turned 1 on Saturday.

He said it took them more than seven hours to get out of the city of New Orleans because of the mass of vehicles leaving the area as the hurricane began to sweep in.

Bercey's right arm is in a cast because of a broken thumb but he hopes to get work soon and he and McKain want to enroll the children in school as soon as possible.

The youngsters range in age from 12 to 1, and the fraternal twins are 7.

The school-age children said today they are worried about their friends and are sad about what happened.

Paula Block, a social worker and executive director of Travelers Aid, visited with the family this afternoon at the South Side motel turned temporary home for the hurricane victims.

She is concerned that more hurricane victims will show up in Tucson and that the city won't be prepared for them.

"We don't know. There could be a bus that turns up because the Astrodome is turning people away. Worst case scenario, we could get busfulls of people who have no place to go and have been traveling for days and I think we need to be prepared for that."

Dan Ranieri, executive director of La Frontera, the behavioral health provider, said this family faces a unique challenge and how they handle it will "teach us."

Unlike the Oklahoma City bombing or the World Trade Towers disaster, these people have not only lost everything they had, but they are uprooted from their family and friends and everything that is familiar to them.

"They're in survival mode right now," Ranieri said. "They're exhausted."

"I don't know that we've ever had to deal with something like this. And until they know if family and friends are safe, or not, that is going to be the most important thing for them for a while," he said.

"They have only each other and their future."
Old 09-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #1331
Airhog
Captain Obvious

If i was the owner, I would probably look for a state closer to LA. I am sure that the players probably don't want to relocate halfway across the country for a year. But I could be dead wrong about that...

Old 09-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #1332
capsicum
Banned

Quote:
lemme guess. You're a Michael Savage fan, aren't you?

Cam, I really AM NOT a Michael Savage fan, and I must say I truly wish I had taken more time with the original post, to clarify that I didnt mean to imply that I agreed with the articles sentiments. In my defense I was holding a squirming 5 month old, and I was trying to keep the post short as she makes typing difficult. Big mistake, as quite a few people here seem to be determined to take all my posts in the worst possible light. Please read over some of my other posts before forming a picture of my character.

Sincerly Sharon

Last edited by capsicum : 09-02-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #1333
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Didn't capsicum just get a warning for her previous postings?

Wether warned or not, there is enough here to warrent at least a boxing I would think. I mean I've got a thicker skin than most and she nearly got me to report her....I've never reported anyone and if you've ever seen threads I've gone off in, thats saying something

I don't even have a problem with the item she quoted/compared...its the last couple lines where its HER statement, and hers alone, suggesting something like this could, for some reason of the population, be visited on another city, its just fucking sick.

I can understand someone new coming in, not having a flipping clue how what they type is read and PERCIEVED by the other members making a few mistakes in how they post and what they post, correcting it and becoming a generally accepted member of a community.

This wannabe is little more than trolling to get reactions and making really unnacceptable posts even for doing that.

I'm hard headed, but even I learned HOW to say things so that I don't come off as a complete moron. Granted, that took awhile

But she's been on here what? a week? and she's pissed off Many.

Last edited by RendeR : 09-02-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Still trying to be more polite when calling a spade a spade.....
Old 09-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #1334
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog

Really? I might as well continue my new trend of dumping on my fellow conservatives* because I think it's a pretty shitty move. I haven't heard anything about the city offering up the Ford Center to refugees.

There is NO reason to pimp out your arena for New Orleans' NBA team until you have offered that arena to refugees, and had your offer turned down.

I haven't heard anything to suggest Oklahoma City had opened up the arena to anything other than 12 very well paid refugees.

*that would be Mayor Cornett, not you Airhog

Last edited by CamEdwards : 09-02-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #1335
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Ewiak
Um....yeah....fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
FUCK YOU.

You are disgusting and no better than those shooting at the rescue helicopters.

Quote:
you're a sick fuck.Do intelligence a favor and leave the board please. We sure as hell don't need more ignorance of this level here. We have our fill.

Granted, it was a poorly worded and widely misunderstood post, but she has tried to clarify this. You guys are spewing a lot more hate and filth than you're even accusing her of. I would expect you to be a little more gentlemanly.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #1336
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Granted, it was a poorly worded and widely misunderstood post, but she has tried to clarify this. You guys are spewing a lot more hate and filth than you're even accusing her of. I would expect you to be a little more gentlemanly.

You have some huge brass ones if you want to complain that we're not being POLITE. I know she's your wife and all, but even you ought to be saying something about HOW she's posting things.

Even if it were simply her intention to put the quote someone else made out there along those lines. What possible purpose does it serve OTHER than to enflame those in both the gulf coast and northern california?

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive.....hrm let me think. Someone puts forth a statement that the death and destruction is deserved for whatever reason. Even ifs its not HER words, by posting it she is giving it credence. There really isn't an excuse for that.

As for spewing hate, dude you haven't seen hate. If she's pulls the dumbass out of her head and starts making meaningful posts, I might even LIKE her. Hell i like you and we disagree damned near all the time. Don't talk to me about spewing hate until you actually see it.

Oh and I did go back and read her recent post even after ignorning her, and having a squirmer of my own I can empathize, but THINK, if you can't post what you want to say the WAY you WANT to say it, don't post.

You can always come back adn do it when your not encumbered with the child.

I will retract some of what I posted as I did so in haste and as a knee jerk reaction. I don't necessarily think I was wrong from reading what she's posted in the past, but I will try to be more civil.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #1337
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Good stuff. I don't think I can speak my mind on the rest of this thread without getting banned, but I think this is extremely valuable. I generally refuse to watch news on television, I get almost all my news from the internet(where I can quickly find multiple spins on a story and form my own opinion) and from NPR radio.

I have found myself listening to the conservative radio hosts in the mornings just to hear additional coverage, and watching a lot of both Fox and CNN. I think I got fed up with it tonight and am back to my old ways. I don't think I can stomach the shit I'm being fed there anymore, much like this thread, I'm done with it. But I do thank those that are still trying to have an intelligent discussion over the voices of the nutjobs, I respect a lot of you guys, even(and espicially) those like Cam who I generally am a polar opposite of politically.

I think we should all be pretty ashamed when we read Pumpy Tudors posts. Keep giving us info man(but do it in the hopefuly non-political thread), we all care and are genuinely concerned for you and your family and friends.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #1338
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Well, I just got off the phone with my friend who works at a TV station in Hattiesburg. Good news, they are getting their power back across much of the city. Sounds like the utility companies are doing a good job in that area.

Now for the bad news...he heard, off the record from a VERY high-level source, that they are anticipating the need for about 180,000 body bags across the region when all is said and done Hopefully, to say the least, that number is a wildly overestimated, "better safe than sorry" figure.

Last edited by ice4277 : 09-02-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #1339
Swaggs
Coordinator

Doh... wrong thread.

Edited.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-02-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #1340
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Well, I just got off the phone with my friend who works at a TV station in Hattiesburg. Good news, they are getting their power back across much of the city. Sounds like the utility companies are doing a good job in that area.

Now for the bad news...he heard, off the record from a VERY high-level source, that they are anticipating the need for about 180,000 body bags across the region when all is said and done Hopefully, to say the least, that number is a wildly overestimated, "better safe than sorry" figure.

I'm betting they multiplied the real number a bit so they can collect the dead wildlife and bag them as well. its a health hazard they have the means to remove simply by using the same bags.

God forbid the death toll go anywhere near that high.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #1341
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm betting they multiplied the real number a bit so they can collect the dead wildlife and bag them as well. its a health hazard they have the means to remove simply by using the same bags.

God forbid the death toll go anywhere near that high.

I hope you're right. I would also assume they would order more than they would think they need. However, I also think that sadly, the death toll will end up being much higher than most estimates.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #1342
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
You have some huge brass ones if you want to complain that we're not being POLITE. I know she's your wife and all, but even you ought to be saying something about HOW she's posting things.

Even if it were simply her intention to put the quote someone else made out there along those lines. What possible purpose does it serve OTHER than to enflame those in both the gulf coast and northern california?

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive.....hrm let me think. Someone puts forth a statement that the death and destruction is deserved for whatever reason. Even ifs its not HER words, by posting it she is giving it credence. There really isn't an excuse for that.

As for spewing hate, dude you haven't seen hate. If she's pulls the dumbass out of her head and starts making meaningful posts, I might even LIKE her. Hell i like you and we disagree damned near all the time. Don't talk to me about spewing hate until you actually see it.

Oh and I did go back and read her recent post even after ignorning her, and having a squirmer of my own I can empathize, but THINK, if you can't post what you want to say the WAY you WANT to say it, don't post.

You can always come back adn do it when your not encumbered with the child.

I will retract some of what I posted as I did so in haste and as a knee jerk reaction. I don't necessarily think I was wrong from reading what she's posted in the past, but I will try to be more civil.

The key point here is that she didn't post the original story. Jesse_Ewiak did. She was commenting on it, and meant to point out that people say this kind of crap all the time about places like San Francisco. So, are you really barking up the right tree here? Why did Jesse feel the need to post that story here? Obviously to get a rise out of people - well, mission accomplished.

And, yeah... they're huge. Solid brass.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #1343
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Really? I might as well continue my new trend of dumping on my fellow conservatives* because I think it's a pretty shitty move. I haven't heard anything about the city offering up the Ford Center to refugees.

There is NO reason to pimp out your arena for New Orleans' NBA team until you have offered that arena to refugees, and had your offer turned down.

I haven't heard anything to suggest Oklahoma City had opened up the arena to anything other than 12 very well paid refugees.

*that would be Mayor Cornett, not you Airhog

You know, I hadn't even thought about it in that light. Your pretty dead on in that statement, of course with all okc has been through you would think that he would have done that first...

Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #1344
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

I posted it because it was a rerun of 9/11 and Falwell blaming the liberals, ACLU, etc. Also, because news is news, both the good with the bad and it shows that not just those heathen Godless Democrats are the one trying to politicize this.

As for your wives comments, she says they aren't nutjobs. Um, OK
Second, calling the newsstory a theory is an insult to theories.
Third, she says San Francisco could be next? Um, OK.

If ya' want an apology, too bad. I call bullshit when I see it, regardless of gender.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #1345
Masked
College Starter

Quote:

I have never read anything on this board that has made me so angry as her post. Perhaps I overreacted as a result of all the stress I have been under because of the storm.

Maybe I misunderstood her original post, but if so, I certainly wasn't the only one. If I misunderstood, than I am sorry.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #1346
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
At times? If SkyDog doesn't dish out several suspensions because of the way some people have acted in this thread, I'll be very disappointed (and just go to show that maybe Marmel and others are right about him). I'd say this is pretty much the most disgraceful display of callousness and political bashing opportunism (on both sides) I've seen on this board.

I'm tired of SkyDog bashing over this issue. He does a good job. He makes some people unhappy sometimes. It always seems like the same small subset complaining.

If he was the person the complainers make him out to be, there'd be 50 times the banning going on and we really would have a big mess on our hands.

This is a tough issue. I've had to stop reading New Orleans news, because it makes me so angry. I'm angry that our government is being bashed for providing a remarkable amount of help.

Remember that this help comes from each and every one of us, and we're getting kicked in the face over it.

I'm angry that the public is accepting the spin of Louisiana politicians, who dropped the ball and care more about pointing fingers than solving problems.

I'm angry that the media, still with its political axe to grind over the reelection of Bush, is welcoming this spin with open arms and closed eyes.

I'm angry that anyone excuses the actions of those of have taken up arms and are raping and pillaging their way through New Orleans.

I'm angry that people continue to deny that this is taking place. I've heard too many accounts not to believe it. Obviously, there are false rumors and urban legends out there. But there are also many true and horrifying stories.

On the other hand, I have all the respect in the world for people like Pumpy's friend, who did what he had to do to survive, and still feels a little bad about it. Good people make tough decisions, and aren't overly proud of themselves.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #1347
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
The key point here is that she didn't post the original story. Jesse_Ewiak did. She was commenting on it, and meant to point out that people say this kind of crap all the time about places like San Francisco. So, are you really barking up the right tree here? Why did Jesse feel the need to post that story here? Obviously to get a rise out of people - well, mission accomplished.

And, yeah... they're huge. Solid brass.

Indeed she didn't post the original article, but read what she wrote man. Even if written in haste and in bad form for what she was really trying to say, its a terrible and very offensive statement, even to suggest that these people suffering brought this on themselves is just unmitigated ignorance.

I guess my real point is that there was nothing in her post aimed at doing anything beyond upsetting people, even beyond the original article. Fanning the flames is just as bad a trolling from the get go. If she keeps up shit like that I will support boxings/bannings. We don't need the tripe.

And even moreso, read some of the other posts. She and a few others have done nothing but trade political insults in a thread that started out simply reporting on the tragedy. WTF for? Is she so far removed from this disaster that her own personal agenda's are so important she feels they must overshadow the real tragedy?

She might be your wife, but if she were mine I'd be having some serious discussions about this. Its the continuous intentional stabs in her posts that lead me to believe she has nothing of any real value to say.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #1348
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I'm tired of SkyDog bashing over this issue.

Oh for the love of....I was not bashing SkyDog.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #1349
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Oh for the love of....I was not bashing SkyDog.

Where the "bashing" term came from.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-02-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #1350
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
On the other hand, I have all the respect in the world for people like Pumpy's friend, who did what he had to do to survive, and still feels a little bad about it. Good people make tough decisions, and aren't overly proud of themselves.

This is very well said. I wanted to articulate something similar to Pumpy, both for his friend and himself, but didn't have the words.
Closed Thread