Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #13101
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What does that rant have to do with the quote you replied to?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #13102
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
At least you're not even bothering to hide your trolling now.

But I'm sure you don't have a horse in this race either.

Guilty. I admit to trolling. But I understand the situation better than you guys do. The left is so blinded by there need to win, they dont see what is really happening in this country.

You guys are so delusional, its funny is a sad sort of way.

The Dems are at fault for Kavanaugh being confirmed, not Trump.

But you dont see this. Wake up. Please. Please wake up. You are ruining this country along with corporations. Which the right supports. But you are so concerned about the stupid shit, you dont see how the country (i.e. the middle class, rural voters) feel, you can never win again. Unless you throw a young charismatic candidate. But you had to have the next in line.

Moderation is key. Not believing every accusation against "The Man". That is a sure losing formula.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #13103
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What does that rant have to do with the quote you replied to?

Everything

Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #13104
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The Dems are at fault for Kavanaugh being confirmed, not Trump.

Yeah you're going to have to explain this to me with your obviously superior understanding. How are Dems responsible for a candidate that Trump nominated and passed with Democrats voting 48-1 against?.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #13105
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So why have Democrats gotten more votes in the aggregate? They've won the popular vote total in 5 of the past 6 presidential elections.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-06-2018 at 08:57 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #13106
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So why have Democrats gotten more votes in the aggregate?

Because of the empty promises they make to the low socioeconomic population that resides in the major metropolitan areas. You know, the ones they lie to for their votes.

Yet because of the system the gop seems to win. And that is because of the vast areas of rural areas that vote republican because they want freedom and the right to create their own success and not depend on the government to support them.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #13107
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Because of the empty promises they make to the low socioeconomic population that resides in the major metropolitan areas. You know, the ones they lie to for their votes.

Yet because of the system the gop seems to win. And that is because of the vast areas of rural areas that vote republican because they want freedom and the right to create their own success and not depend on the government to support them.

Yeah, rural areas hate depending on government

Trump to offer farmers $12B in trade aid - POLITICO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.59b36b1f2c78

Last edited by NobodyHere : 10-06-2018 at 09:02 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #13108
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

It is one person one vote, not one acre one vote.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #13109
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
It is one person one vote, not one acre one vote.

Obviously, you dont get the whole electoral college thing.

Also, because of your failed politics we now will have a heavily conservative SC. Way to go. How does that feel. You guys are so blind to shooting yourself in the foot that you keep doing it.

Well done. Freedom keeps taking a hit because of your ignorance.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #13110
tarcone
Coordinator

And the senate majority and the congressional majority. You cant win just the cities and hope to run the country.

Wake up.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #13111
cartman
Death Herald

Your haughtiness doesn't play into it at all? You are clearly above it all because you voted for Johnson, right?
Old 10-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #13112
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Been out west lately? Or in any rural area? Sure there are people that suck the teet of the government, but they still dont vote democrat.

But you keep on believing what the media puts out there. Maybe try visiting an area once and looking around.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #13113
cartman
Death Herald

Usually in a democracy, the side the gets the most votes at all levels is not the minority party. The way that the gerrymandering packed all those votes into the cities plays a large part too.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #13114
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A minority of voters elected the President. Representatives of a minority of voters control the Senate and the House. That's a fact.

Your solution is for Dems, who only think about winning, to win more. Is this a Zen puzzle?

p.s.- Bernie lost in most of the primaries. He was most successful in caucuses that attract far fewer voters than do primaries. It wasn't rigged, he just didn't appeal to much of the party beyond educated whites.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #13115
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Your haughtiness doesn't play into it at all? You are clearly above it all because you voted for Johnson, right?

Above what? The stupidity that is the democrat party? Or the republican party? Shoot they are the same as far as Im concerned.

But this is a heavily leaning left board. Im pointing out why you lose. Im not syain the gop is better, but you guys bitch about that party incessantly. Figure out why you lose and fix it.

But you guys are so blind to what is really happening out there. Trump went to the everyman. And that was the middle class.

And by the way, the middle class makes for a strong democracy, not the poor. And the poor is who the dems are catering to. Making false promises which they dont keep.

Until the democratic party figures this out and keeps going more and more left, they will struggle to win.

Shoot, you are going to lose a long standing dem in McCaskill. To a corrupt, lying gop member.

Fix your party. Then fix the country.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #13116
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Been out west lately? Or in any rural area? Sure there are people that suck the teet of the government, but they still dont vote democrat.

But you keep on believing what the media puts out there. Maybe try visiting an area once and looking around.

Again what is your point? You just seem to affirm that rural people are happy to suck on the government teet.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #13117
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Usually in a democracy, the side the gets the most votes at all levels is not the minority party. The way that the gerrymandering packed all those votes into the cities plays a large part too.

No doubt. That hurt the dems. The metro areas will vote em mostly. But that doesnt help in an electoral college system

Old 10-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #13118
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Again what is your point? You just seem to affirm that rural people are happy to suck on the government teet.

But that is where the majority of middle class live as well. The people that suck off the government teet is a minority in the rural areas. Mostly, it is freedom loving moddle class people. That dont want the government interfering with there lives.

That isnt the case in the cities, they depend ont he government to fix their problems.

And the governemtn does a poor job of that.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #13119
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Most middle class people live in metro areas.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #13120
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In 2016 the median individual income was just over 33,000. Dems won the 30000-49,999 demographic by nine points. Trump did outperform Romney in that demo, but Clinton still won by nine points.

While Clinton won the under 30000 demo by 12 points, it also represented the biggest change from 2012 with Trump coming in 16 points higher than Romney.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #13121
bob
College Starter

Politics aside, I’ve always hated the “didn’t win the popular vote” argument regarding presidential elections. Popular vote isn’t the way it’s decided, and if it was, both campaigns and individual voters would behave differently.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #13122
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I agree campaigns would behave differently, but how would individual voters behave differently?

I think it is important to point out the popular totals because politicians always claim that the voters gave them a mandate to implement their policies. It's turns into an absurd argument when more people voted against you than for you.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #13123
cartman
Death Herald

There is a higher percentage of the population receiving government assistance in rural areas than there is in suburbs/urban area.

https://www.cfra.org/news/140730/sna...ral-households

Quote:
The stereotype of SNAP/food stamp benefits (and other social safety net programs) has often been that they serve an urban minority population. These data show that programs like SNAP are necessary for a lot of rural households, and, in fact, may be more important for rural areas than for urban areas.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #13124
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Most middle class people live in metro areas.

Yes, you are probably correct. But the cities is where the dems rely on their votes.
Most middle class will vote gop. And when a candidate shows up and proclaims he is for them, they vote.

Regardless, the dems are not trying to win the people that will get them elected. As the latest results have clearly shown.

But keep up with you rhetoric and see the results. You are quickly becoming a minority.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #13125
bob
College Starter

Quote:
I agree campaigns would behave differently, but how would individual voters behave differently?

I think it is important to point out the popular totals because politicians always claim that the voters gave them a mandate to implement their policies. It's turns into an absurd argument when more people voted against you than for you.

A GOP voter in California or a Dem in Texas may skip voting in the current system since they think their vote won’t matter. Or they may vote for a third party candidate.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #13126
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Not at all.

Dems rigged their primary so Hillary is the candidate because she has the best chance of WINNING.

She is as corrupt as any other politician out there. Probably moreso.

When she loses and every other Dem loses its because of a conspricay against you.

Wake up. The middle of this country holds great sway. Your BS politics and pandering to the minority will not work. Your side is losing and will continue to do so until you wake up and start understanding what this country is built on, the middle class.

I get your holier than thou attitude and understand. But until you quit whining and suck it up and quit pandering to the individual and go back to the greatest statement by any politician ever "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" (A democrat) your party will continue to lose.

Well, I like to think that I *have* woken up. The side currently "winning" used to get my vote. Until I realized that they don't care about the middle class, and they damn sure don't care about the poor. They care about extracting as much out of them as they possibly can, while feeding their xenophobic and misogynistic tendencies.

The Republicans, imo, are about making things better for the chosen at the expense of everyone else. The leadership, anyway. Everyone else is content to be the preferred of the have-nots.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #13127
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
But that is where the majority of middle class live as well. The people that suck off the government teet is a minority in the rural areas. Mostly, it is freedom loving moddle class people. That dont want the government interfering with there lives.

That isnt the case in the cities, they depend ont he government to fix their problems.

are you angry? You seem angry. You also seem drunk.

You’ve been a pretty good punching bag for us losers to focus our anger and frustrations on, and I appreciate that. But now with this anger, it’s no fun watching your team make us angry and watching them make you angry too.

Jon is admittedly rotten on the inside. He has admitted he is not happy and dreads living, thus his politics makes sense.

What’s going on with you? You come come across as a victim or profoundly insecure.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #13128
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Well, I like to think that I *have* woken up. The side currently "winning" used to get my vote. Until I realized that they don't care about the middle class, and they damn sure don't care about the poor. They care about extracting as much out of them as they possibly can, while feeding their xenophobic and misogynistic tendencies.

The Republicans, imo, are about making things better for the chosen at the expense of everyone else. The leadership, anyway. Everyone else is content to be the preferred of the have-nots.

I agree. Trump is absolutely going to pander to the rich. But in doing so, he is helping them create jobs.

is it the best way? i dont know.

Im tired of corporations running the country. Im tired of career politicians. Im tire of politicians lying to a disenfranchised people to garner their votes.

Here is the deal, I feel like I see the problems of both sides while this board swallows what the ledt is saying hook, line and sinker. And feel holier than thou because they feel like they are helping them.

This country is screwed. We are going downhill quickly and we are bitching about things that dont matter in the broad sense of being the greatest country on the planet Earth.

We are Rome. Rome fell when their were too many slaves to support. We are enslving too many people and are running out of money and jobs to support them.

When the everyman has no chance to succeed because of regulations and entitlements, we, as a society, are screwed.

Unfortunately, this board is more concerned about the individual instead of the whole.

You guys were more concerned about the sexual assault BS and totally missed the real problem of the dark money. That is a lost cause in todays society. Too many people dont care about a guy who grabbed someones pussy unless you are a dem and then it becomes THE cause. But most people dont care. And it is showing in the results.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #13129
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wake up. The middle of this country holds great sway. Your BS politics and pandering to the minority will not work. Your side is losing and will continue to do so until you wake up and start understanding what this country is built on, the middle class.

In fairness, they are the majority. Just that we elect our President in an undemocratic way. And our Senate doesn't provide equal representation.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #13130
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
are you angry? You seem angry. You also seem drunk.

You’ve been a pretty good punching bag for us losers to focus our anger and frustrations on, and I appreciate that. But now with this anger, it’s no fun watching your team make us angry and watching them make you angry too.

Jon is admittedly rotten on the inside. He has admitted he is not happy and dreads living, thus his politics makes sense.

What’s going on with you? You come come across as a victim or profoundly insecure.

Not angry. But frustrated. And a little buzzed.

Im not a victim. Far from it. But Im tired of the system. I hate career politicians. I sit here watching ads for and against McCaskill and Hawley, one of the more important races this next cycle. I have no desire to vote for either.
In fact, Im trying to talk myself into voting for McCaskill based on her going after big pharma. But will she really? And Hawley is a plain liar.

Who do I vote for? 3rd party. But is that really a great idea? I mean, its kind of a waster vote when only 3% of us do it. And only because people are so tied to "their" party they lose the fact that these people are the problem.

What can I do?

Old 10-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #13131
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is wrong. Rural states are the biggest leeches on our federal government. For instance, you live in a welfare state that my tax dollars support.

As for cities vs rural. In almost every scenario, the city provides the revenue to support the rural parts of the state. For example, Cook County (which is primarily Chicago) pays $2 billion more into the state than it receives in return.

https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/vie...ext=ppi_papers
Old 10-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #13132
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
In fairness, they are the majority. Just that we elect our President in an undemocratic way. And our Senate doesn't provide equal representation.

Absolutely. I am in favor of a multi party system based on a simple majority of voters.

This will never happen because our system is rigged.

I am a liberal when it comes to health care. But conservative when it comes to other social issues.

I struggle with abortion because I believe in a womans right to choose what to do with her body, but what about the unborn fetus, which I believe is alive when the heart starts beating.

I want freedom. I dont want a big government. I think our society will be made up of people who work for the government or depend wholly on the government to support them, you know like the book 1984.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #13133
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
A significant difference exists between the colloquial and legal definitions and uses of that term. Legally, the definition of sexual assault varies from state to state, but it typically refers to nonconsensual sexual intercourse. Other nonconsensual sexual acts (that involve, e.g., touching but not intercourse) have other legal names, like lewd conduct, sexual battery, etc. So legally, the act referred to above was not a sexual assault, even though it was undoubtedly some other sexual crime, and even though in colloquial usage we refer to acts like that as being assaults of a sexual nature.

Not enough attention has been paid to this distinction . It allows ambiguity where we ought to be clearer. A clever lawyer accused with 100% certainty of, say, groping a woman on a bed while a friend is in the room can adamantly deny having committed a sexual assault and be 100% correct about that, legally.
I remember a similar case where a UConn student masturbated on his roommate's passed out girlfriend, but wasn't even required to register as a sex offender because he never touched her & the law required contact (which was obviously changed after). It's pretty brutal it takes outrageous cases like this to update laws, but I certainly can't blame the people who wrote the laws long ago for not anticipating that
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
WTF happened to Graham?
He saw how much adulation he got for his anger at Kavanaugh's initial hearing & decided to make a play for that 39%(?) who elected Trump?

Idk, I work in South Charlotte at a couple of the fancy country clubs. Bartended at events hosted by Congressman Pittenger & whatever the NC rep's name is, and the level of dissonance between that & this thread is palpable. I have to force myself to bite my tongue, because the things people say are to the right of Tarcone and everyone agrees with them!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #13134
tarcone
Coordinator

Rainmaker, I didnt want to quote your post because of the size.

What percentage of that is farm subsidies?

As for Cook county and Illinois, that is the worst example you could bring up. That state is so corrupt and out of control. Its in debt and the infrastructure is a mess. Most down state people hate cook county and would be happy to split into 2 states.

Illinois is the best example of what is wrong with government today.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #13135
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

We are Rome. Rome fell when their were too many slaves to support. We are enslving too many people and are running out of money and jobs to support them.

This is completely wrong.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #13136
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What percentage of that is farm subsidies?

I don't know. I know farmers like to pretend their "subsidy" isn't welfare, but it is.

Quote:
As for Cook county and Illinois, that is the worst example you could bring up. That state is so corrupt and out of control. Its in debt and the infrastructure is a mess. Most down state people hate cook county and would be happy to split into 2 states.

Down state is broke and couldn't make it without Cook County. They can cry all they want about the big city, but Chicago pays it's bills.

Illinois is a mess but would be better if we didn't have to subsidize states like yours.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #13137
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am a liberal when it comes to health care.

I dont want a big government.

How do you square these two things?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #13138
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
This is completely wrong.

Probably. It is automation that will be the down fall. When we lose those important jobs factories and service, we create a large population of unhirable people that the government has to support, which it cannot do.

We becomes a nation of unemployed people relying on the government.

The irony of that is the the big corporations want little government so they can do what they want, but the unemployed are more likely to vote for dems who want big government that regulate the corporations.

We are screwed.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #13139
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know. I know farmers like to pretend their "subsidy" isn't welfare, but it is.

Down state is broke and couldn't make it without Cook County. They can cry all they want about the big city, but Chicago pays it's bills.

Illinois is a mess but would be better if we didn't have to subsidize states like yours.

Shoot, we have 2 major cities in our state. And a balanced budget amendment in the state constitution. We are a lot better off than Illinois. A large chunk of western Illinois people work in MO.

We have our own problems, but Chicago isnt paying for them

Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #13140
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you square these two things?

I cant. That is my problem. What can I do? I want a little government. But I want free healthcare.

I believe that the insurance, pharma and healthcare industries are out of control. I feel that they can do whatever they want and the government lets the,

But I feel the government already meddles too much in out lives.

It is a tough situation. And I am frustrated by it.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #13141
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not angry. But frustrated. And a little buzzed.

Im not a victim. Far from it. But Im tired of the system. I hate career politicians. I sit here watching ads for and against McCaskill and Hawley, one of the more important races this next cycle. I have no desire to vote for either.
In fact, Im trying to talk myself into voting for McCaskill based on her going after big pharma. But will she really? And Hawley is a plain liar.

Who do I vote for? 3rd party. But is that really a great idea? I mean, its kind of a waster vote when only 3% of us do it. And only because people are so tied to "their" party they lose the fact that these people are the problem.

What can I do?

Honestly, what’s bothering you? You say we are Rome, country is going down hill, you are not hopeful, etc. is there a particular injustice you are experiencing? I’m asking because that seems a way to get active, to find someone who supports ending your suffering.

You have rage towards one side, are their policies personally hurting you?

My hope is this is not just in the abstract. There’s no real harm being done to you, but it’s the fact you (your team) is being called names that is the true source of the rage. (If it a specific thing that is personally harming you, you’ve done a poor job of expressing it, but more power to you- rage against the dying of the light).
Old 10-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #13142
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Shoot, we have 2 major cities in our state. And a balanced budget amendment in the state constitution. We are a lot better off than Illinois. A large chunk of western Illinois people work in MO.

We have our own problems, but Chicago isnt paying for them

It is easier to balance your budget when you area leaching money off states like mine. Your state receives much more from the federal government than it pays in. Mine receives much less.

You hate welfare but live in a welfare state. Perhaps you should be demanding your politicians give back some of that federal money and return them to states like mine.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #13143
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Honestly, what’s bothering you? You say we are Rome, country is going down hill, you are not hopeful, etc. is there a particular injustice you are experiencing? I’m asking because that seems a way to get active, to find someone who supports ending your suffering.

You have rage towards one side, are their policies personally hurting you?

My hope is this is not just in the abstract. There’s no real harm being done to you, but it’s the fact you (your team) is being called names that is the true source of the rage. (If it a specific thing that is personally harming you, you’ve done a poor job of expressing it, but more power to you- rage against the dying of the light).

There is nothing specific harming me. Im as middle class as you can get. Maybe its the fact that I feel the middle class is getting shit on.

As an example, my daughter is going to college, we make too much for her to get grants, but not enough to just pay for her college. Yes, we are debt ridden because that is what the USA is about. Borrow now and pay later. And we fell into that trap. My wife and I are poor savers, like many in this country.
So, we are too rich for free college money, but to poor to pay the high price of college. So I feel squeezed by that. Why is the middle class the whipping boy? We are the backbone of the country but are left out and shit upon.

The left only cares about the poor. The right only cares about the rich.

Who do i have fighting for me? It used to be the elected officials. The pharmacist who ran for office. The farmer or the local business owner. Not the really rich that can afford it now. The career politician.

The system is wrong. It needs to be fixed. But the dems and the gop own the system and dont want it fixed. And this board seems to buy into the system.

I guess I want a revolution.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #13144
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
It is easier to balance your budget when you area leaching money off states like mine. Your state receives much more from the federal government than it pays in. Mine receives much less.

You hate welfare but live in a welfare state. Perhaps you should be demanding your politicians give back some of that federal money and return them to states like mine.

Agreed. Im a big state guy. I think the feds should protect us. Not control us.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #13145
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
This is wrong. Rural states are the biggest leeches on our federal government. For instance, you live in a welfare state that my tax dollars support.

As for cities vs rural. In almost every scenario, the city provides the revenue to support the rural parts of the state. For example, Cook County (which is primarily Chicago) pays $2 billion more into the state than it receives in return.

Interesting map. Is % of State General Revenue actually a good metric? I suspect its a combination coming at different angles to get a fair view.

How about per capita or total $.

Federal taxation and spending by state - Wikipedia

If someone has more time than me, put the grids in xls and sort/total by red vs blue vs tossup states and it should give us additional data points. This would be a pretty interesting analysis.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-06-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #13146
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

You keep referring to rural vs urban. The "freedom loving rural middle class" that us liberals can't relate to because we only pander to the inner city poor.

Rural families rely more on food stamps than those in large cities, study shows - NY Daily News

Quote:
Nationally, food stamp participation is highest overall among households in rural areas (16%) and small towns (16%) compared to metro counties (13%).

Quote:
In 23% of rural counties, at least 20% of households participate in the federally funded Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, meaning they get monthly food stamps to help them purchase certain types of food.

Quote:
The majority of families reliant on SNAP also have at least one working member — and in some cases there are two or more people working in a family that still needs government assistance to get enough food on the table.

Quote:
More than three-quarters of families on the assistance program had at least one working member in the past 12 months, FRAC said.

Now when MOST people talk about rural vs urban, "freedom loving midwesterners" vs "urban teat suckling" they're really talking about white vs black.

Americans Are Mistaken About Who Gets Welfare | HuffPost

There is a SEVERE overestimation in this country about how many black people are on many of these social programs compared to white people.

The reality?

Quote:
Medicaid had more than 70 million beneficiaries in 2016, of whom 43 percent were white, 18 percent black, and 30 percent Hispanic. Of 43 million food stamp recipients that year, 36.2 percent were white, 25.6 percent black, 17.2 percent Hispanic and 15.5 percent unknown. (Food stamps are formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.)

The white working class, the rural white working class, the midwestern white working class, benefits HEAVILY from the exact same programs.

And that's great. These programs are there for a reason, people that need them, white. black, hispanic, should all reach out for this assistance that we all pay for in our taxes every day.

I just want to make sure that we are all operating on the same set of facts when we have these conversations. Your opinions that women shouldn't be trusted, that straight white men are all of a sudden a victim class in this country, and that "rural" poor are different from "urban" poor (its ok, we know what that really means, you don't have to say it) are your own. But lets make sure we start from the same factual basis when we start to look at how others form their opinions.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #13147
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The left only cares about the poor. The right only cares about the rich.

I understand this and agree up to a point.

However, this very far from your usual one side is all evil rhetoric. Personally, I 5ink the rich and powerful make the rules to stay rich and powerful. Both sides fall for demagogues that promise they will be different, and of course they never are.

One of my biggest frustrations of the right is the map Rainmaker posted. Over and over again politicians get voted in by exploiting their constituents-knowing they will be bailed out by the fed. Change what you will, but state conservative legislation only works if there are liberal places to subsidize them (military, farm subsidies, Medicare, disability, education, etc). How the right has been able to expect and get and handout while at the same time demonizing the left is brilliant.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #13148
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm totally confused about what is true re: China's hardware hack and it'll gradually play out over the next several week.

I am sure the US does something similar (but I choose to believe we are the good guys). Its coming at a good time for Trump with his trade war with China so it'll only help him try to isolate/confuse/piss-off China.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/am...-hack-14733776
Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN - Get Report) and Apple Inc. (AAPL - Get Report) have denied claims that a secret microchip was found embedded in severs linked to Elemental Technologies, a video compressing service purchased by Amazon in 2015, amid concerns that government hackers in China were able to infiltrate U.S. corporate data.

Bloomberg reported Thursday that the chip, found on a server made by San Jose, Calif.-based Super Micro Computer Inc (SMCI - Get Report) via subcontractors in China through a contract with Elemental, could be used to infiltrate a host of computer networks linked to both major U.S. companies as well as portions of the U.S. government's national security system.

Apple said it had no contact with the FBI or any other agency about the incident, and did not find any unusual vulnerabilities in servers it bought from Super Micro. Amazon said it was not true that it had worked with Federal investigators and denied claims it knew about any supply-chain compromise when it purchased Elemental.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #13149
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Or we're almost an apartheid system. Currently a minority of voters controls the WH, the House, and the Senate.

I'll just point out that this statement is partly false. 2016 popular vote for the House of Representatives: 50.6% GOP, 49.4% Democrat, 1.5 million vote difference in total. Gerrymandering is a problem, Trump won with less votes than Clinton, etc., but a minority of voters does not control Congress, and historically winning the presidency without winning the popular vote is very rare. It's becoming more common, but still rare. We're nowhere near an apartheid system.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #13150
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
No, he's not. It's like the "Obama hates police" example. Stated as fact, but hand-waved away when asked for examples that back up the assertion (or when presented with info that refutes it).

I've been assigned to 2 presidential escort details. Obama didn't even offer so much as a wave to the police that got him to the airport safely. Trump stopped and shook the hand of every officer that got him to the airport.

Whether or not you want to appreciate the time, effort, and disruption to the lives of everyone involved (because days off being cancelled at the last minute is just wonderful) to get a president safely from 1 point to the next, it says a lot when someone can at least shake your hand and say thank you.

Then there's the skipping police week so you could invite a rapper who chose to write a song commemorating a convicted cop killer to the White House during you know....the week remembering officers killed in the line of duty. Or sending representatives to a funeral of someone who chose to assault and attempt to disarm a police officer. Or calling police officers racist during a memorial service for police officers.

So yeah, I can say with confidence that law enforcement officers didn't feel the greatest confidence in their president in that time period.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote