Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #1251
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Only MBBF can have the phrase "When you are pissing into the wind, stop digging" make sense.

Saw that the Longhorn Network was using that as their new promotional slogan.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1252
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
At least you bumped and quoted it so it wouldn't have been buried at the bottom of the last page.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #1253
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
At least you bumped and quoted it so it wouldn't have been buried at the bottom of the last page.

Nobody puts cartman in the corner.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1254
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's going to be a lot of Big Ten spots available. I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Lots of games left.

Edit: Speaking of Big Ten. What the hell has happened to Illinois? Totally gone off the rails.

Didn't go off the rails today. That happened when getting pistol-whipped by Wisky and then losing at home by double digits to Northwestern. Today was actually quite a bit better than those games, insofar as the team played hard for 30+ minutes of the game.

Issues (short list):
1.) Brandon Paul has gone back to being the guy he was over the first 3 seasons. Lousy shot selection, mind-numbingly bad turnovers, and just general brain-dead play that short circuits someone who has a lot of talent.
2.) Tyler Griffey is 0-for-his-last-20 from 3. Given that it is his primary offensive contribution, that is a bad thing. Lack of anyone who adds value at the 4 position magnifies his struggles.
3.) No true point guard. Abrams plays the position, and he has improved his individual play over his 1.5 seasons but he doesn't see the court particularly well.
4.) Transition defense as a team has been a really disappointing hole that has emerged in conference play.

Those are my takeaways from the conference play. And I haven't even mentioned rebounding, which was the biggest concern heading into the B1G. But put those all together and you have a glimpse of how Illinois could very well be staring at 2-9 in conference play two weeks from now.

@MSU
Wisky
IU
@Minnesota

That is the upcoming four games (not in right order) - won't be a favorite in any of them.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #1255
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This guy is a piece of work.........

Marshall Henderson Pounds Coors Lights After Beating Auburn [PHOTOS] | BustedCoverage – Sports Gossip | Drunk Athletes | Hot Cheerleaders | Football News
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #1256
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I dont believe it. College kids dont drink beer.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #1257
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I dont believe it. College kids dont drink beer.

Marshall's photos seemed awfully familiar.......

Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #1258
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yep, MBBF, a 40-something coach getting drunk and hitting on coeds is the exact same as a player enrolled in college doing that. Are you seriously that dense?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #1259
MrBug708
Head Coach

MBBF needs to get his wine to Frank Haith for a binger. That would be some great press. The official wine of Missouri Basketball!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #1260
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
MBBF needs to get his wine to Frank Haith for a binger. That would be some great press. The official wine of Missouri Basketball!

You can actually do that. Each year, Mizzou bottles a different winery's wine with a Mizzou label on it for official functions. I know you thought you were making a joke, but most state universities do exactly that.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #1261
Kodos
Resident Alien

As always, looking forward to watching the Hoosiers kick the crap out of Purdue tonight. Will miss Crying Robbie Hummel though.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-30-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #1262
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
As always, looking forward to watching the Hoosiers kick the crap out of Purdue tonight. Will miss Crying Robbie Hummel though.

The game is at Purdue, so you never know!!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #1263
Butter
Coordinator

I think it's Crying Robbie Hummel bobblehead night, so you won't have to miss him after all!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #1264
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I think it's Crying Robbie Hummel bobblehead night, so you won't have to miss him after all!

Do the ACLs bobble as well?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #1265
Butter
Coordinator

You're right, I think it's the first bobbleleg figure.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #1266
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Florida just destroying everyone in their path.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #1267
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Florida just destroying everyone in their path.

Florida is obviously the best team in the SEC, but I'm not really sure if it's more to do with them as a team, or playing in such a crappy basketball conference.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #1268
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
Florida is obviously the best team in the SEC, but I'm not really sure if it's more to do with them as a team, or playing in such a crappy basketball conference.

A combo of both I think. Playing the the B1G they wouldnt be ahead of teams on a constant basis by 20 at the half.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #1269
britrock88
Pro Starter

Duke looks like they'll eke it out @ Wake Forest after being tied at 66 with about 2 minutes to go. Plumlee bails out the perimeter guys with 30+ points. Sigh...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #1270
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Oriachi cost Mizzou a win there. Really stupid fouls when we desperately needed an inside presence on the court. He really needs to get his head in the game. It's no coincidence that he's getting into foul trouble on the road and those games are resulting in losses.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #1271
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Oriachi cost Mizzou a win there. Really stupid fouls when we desperately needed an inside presence on the court. He really needs to get his head in the game. It's no coincidence that he's getting into foul trouble on the road and those games are resulting in losses.

This game pissed me off!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #1272
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
This game pissed me off!

Seemed like an ideal matchup for your team. A team that likes to run up and down the court and not make Mizzou play a half court game. Didnt expect this result.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #1273
cartman
Death Herald

Looks like Rick Barnes' streak of 17 consecutive NCAA appearances is going to come to an end this season. The Longhorns only hope is that somehow Kabongo sparks the team to a late season run when his suspension ends and they win the Big 12 tourney.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #1274
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Rick Barnes' streak of 17 consecutive NCAA appearances is going to come to an end this season. The Longhorns only hope is that somehow Kabongo sparks the team to a late season run when his suspension ends and they win the Big 12 tourney.

The optimistic view is they are 14th in the nation in defense which is very impressive for a young team. Put a Durant on that team and theyd be a final four team. McClennan and Holmes have taken a step back on offense that is for sure.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #1275
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
The optimistic view is they are 14th in the nation in defense which is very impressive for a young team. Put a Durant on that team and theyd be a final four team. McClennan and Holmes have taken a step back on offense that is for sure.

Yep, that is a silver lining. As I posted earlier, I wonder how much different this season would have been if J'Covan Brown stuck around for his senior season instead of going to D-League purgatory. They just don't have any kind of serious consistent scoring threat.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #1276
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They're a really good team. Kenpom has 'em #1, by a pretty big margin. They took care of Wisconsin quite easily along with a number of other good teams. At the time Wisconsin was still getting used to a few new players getting more playing time. It was also the only game that Wisconsin had ZERO chance of winning 10-15 minutes in.

Last edited by mauchow : 01-30-2013 at 09:35 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #1277
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Big Ten Network

Nik letting people know he's past his slump.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #1278
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey, nice job staying within 40 Purdue. Impressive showing. I wanted us to shoot a final three to hit the century mark.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-30-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #1279
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA somehow came back to force USC to OT.

I can't believe I said that
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #1280
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
They're a really good team. Kenpom has 'em #1, by a pretty big margin. They took care of Wisconsin quite easily along with a number of other good teams. At the time Wisconsin was still getting used to a few new players getting more playing time. It was also the only game that Wisconsin had ZERO chance of winning 10-15 minutes in.

Normally, Kenpom having them at #1 would be enough to convince me. But their schedule actually has been pretty weak, with Wisconsin, Arizona, Missouri, and Kansas St. being the only decent teams they've played, and they lost to Zona and KSU. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a good team, but I honestly don't think we'll know how good until the NCAA Tournament, since the SEC is so soft.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #1281
molson
General Manager

Syracuse down to 7 scholarship players after their starting center goes down. Which seems on the low side. They're bringing in 5-6 Freshman next year and only have two seniors.

Last edited by molson : 01-31-2013 at 12:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #1282
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa beat PsU tonight by 9. Just couldnt put them away. We got up by 14 then let them back with in 7. A needed win.

Now Im watching SLU spank Butler. It's 45-31 with 14:46 left in the game.
The announcers said Butler had 17 turnovers in the 1st half.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #1283
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Way to go SLU!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #1284
BishopMVP
Coordinator

A10's legit this year... 9 teams in the top 75 RPI, and 3 more (St. Joe's, GW, Dayton) decent ones. After 6 games, every team has at least 2 conference losses. UMass still hanging around on the NIT/NCAA bubble despite losing our 2nd best player to an ACL tear - optimistic view says we know how to win close games, pessimistic view says we've been extremely lucky (10-1 in games decided by 6 pts or fewer, including 3 1-pt victories and 2 more at the buzzer).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #1285
Butter
Coordinator

The only 3 of the 16 teams I would consider bad are URI, Duquesne, and Fordham.

Sadly, Dayton is teetering on the edge of bad, following their 500th loss in a row at Xavier. If they lose all 3 of their upcoming games (@ SLU, v. St. Joe's and Temple), they could be 2-7 in conference and threatening to not even make the conference tournament this year.

And the fanbase (me included) will have to be placed on suicide watch.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #1286
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Normally, Kenpom having them at #1 would be enough to convince me. But their schedule actually has been pretty weak, with Wisconsin, Arizona, Missouri, and Kansas St. being the only decent teams they've played, and they lost to Zona and KSU. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a good team, but I honestly don't think we'll know how good until the NCAA Tournament, since the SEC is so soft.

Something weird happened in that Arizona lost --- Florida had that game in the basket and BAM all of a sudden they lost.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #1287
digamma
Torchbearer

I love Friday nights in the Ivy League. All the games start at the same time. Pretty good stuff.

Harvard blew a 15 point lead, but hung on to beat Yale 67-64. Princeton blew out Cornell. Brown got past Dartmouth. The one upset was 3-15 Penn beating thought to be title contender Columbia. Columbia is now 1-2 in league play and plays at Princeton tomorrow night. Pretty much a must win for the Lions, or they're done in the league race.

Princeton has got to be the prohibitive favorite right now. THey are playing the most consistent basketball. Harvard has as much or more talent, but they have been less consistent and are thin, especially at PG. Yale got back into the game tonight when our starter went out with 4 fouls. Scored 7 points over the next 9 minutes.

Tomorrow night the travel partners flip games. Penn vs. Cornell, Princeton vs. Columbia, Yale vs. Dartmouth and Brown vs. Harvard.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #1288
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The only 3 of the 16 teams I would consider bad are URI, Duquesne, and Fordham.

Sadly, Dayton is teetering on the edge of bad, following their 500th loss in a row at Xavier. If they lose all 3 of their upcoming games (@ SLU, v. St. Joe's and Temple), they could be 2-7 in conference and threatening to not even make the conference tournament this year.

And the fanbase (me included) will have to be placed on suicide watch.
And even URI won on the road at St. Louis

I know what you mean on the conference tournament... 5 days ago half our message board was questioning if we would get in, now after a home win over Richmond and an upset at LaSalle we're in the driver's seat for a bye - but that could flip within 4 days with losses to Charlotte and URI. I do hope we go at least 1-1 vs. them just to set up some nice crowds for the stretch run. Not that I've been to a ton of college arenas, but I have a hard time believing there are many 9,000+ seat arenas with better site lines than the Mullins Center - which works against us when there are 3000 or even 6000 people (where the old Cage would be over-capacity and literally shaking). Unfortunately there have only been a handful of games in the last decade there since I started going to school where it was close to sold out, but home games vs. St. Joe's/Temple/Dayton/Butler look promising if we can stay on the bubble (and Butler stays in the top 25!).
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #1289
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Pitt beats 'Cuse. ESPN is what they are but everyone is saying "what an upset!" this is.. really? Vegas had 'em winning by 3/4 as did KenPom (4). These kind of games are what make college basketball so fun. It's EXTREMELY hard to win on the road in College Basketball and that is true with 95% of the games played. Pitt is a good team, rated higher than Syracuse in KenPom but the perception is, as usual, off by the average/less than average fan and ESPN.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-02-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #1290
britrock88
Pro Starter

UNC walks through overtime after essentially crapping the bed against VT in regulation.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #1291
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Does Florida win by about 20 tonight? I wish the game started sooner and same with the Indiana/Michigan game. I'm flippin' bored right now.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #1292
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Does Florida win by about 20 tonight? I wish the game started sooner and same with the Indiana/Michigan game. I'm flippin' bored right now.

I think Florida wins, but they may actually be tested tonight. I'll go Florida by 7.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #1293
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
A10's legit this year... 9 teams in the top 75 RPI, and 3 more (St. Joe's, GW, Dayton) decent ones. After 6 games, every team has at least 2 conference losses. UMass still hanging around on the NIT/NCAA bubble despite losing our 2nd best player to an ACL tear - optimistic view says we know how to win close games, pessimistic view says we've been extremely lucky (10-1 in games decided by 6 pts or fewer, including 3 1-pt victories and 2 more at the buzzer).
And on cue, UMass loses by 1 on the road... I really believe there is a correlation between me posting and my teams losing.

EDIT - have no one to blame since we shot 6 for 16 on free throws, but postgame quotes like this aren't fun Charlotte guard Pierria Henry on final play: "I fouled him. But it's not in the record books."

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-02-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1294
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Oladipo, god damn. I mean, god damn.

IU came to play

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-02-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: .
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #1295
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It feels like Michigan is going to win. Shooting that well and only being up 4 has to have Indiana concerned.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #1296
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, Indiana cannot turn it over 11 times again in the second half if they want to win.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #1297
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This Carson kid on ASU is ridiculous.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #1298
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Tremendous game. Olidipo and Zeller were the difference. Brilliant strategic move by Crean in having Olidipo guard Burke often.

Michigan will need more from the Little Dog if they want to make a deep tourny run. He was an absolute non factor tonight.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #1299
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard needed double OT to beat Brown. Blew a 63-41 lead with 12 left and ended regulation tied at 69.

Princeton snuck past Columbia at home. Cornell beat Penn and Dartmouth beat Yale.

So, at this point it looks like a two team race--everyone else has two league losses already. If it could be a call your own fouls game to 11 by 1, I'd take Harvard. 40 minutes of set plays...Princeton is a big favorite right now.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #1300
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Tremendous game. Olidipo and Zeller were the difference. Brilliant strategic move by Crean in having Olidipo guard Burke often.

Michigan will need more from the Little Dog if they want to make a deep tourny run. He was an absolute non factor tonight.

I just wished I learned something tonight I didn't already know. It will be nice when Indiana actually has to play a ranked team on the road.