Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #1251
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Another day with torrential rains and yet again more tornado warnings.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #1252
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Another day with torrential rains and yet again more tornado warnings.

You in danger of any of the flooding?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #1253
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
No danger to my house, but if it gets much worse, I might be cut off from being able to get anywhere. A couple of the low water crossings are already shut down.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #1254
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
No danger to my house, but if it gets much worse, I might be cut off from being able to get anywhere. A couple of the low water crossings are already shut down.

yikes, hopefully you are ready to go at a moment's notice, and hopefully you stay safe.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #1255
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Well that storm was thrilling. My daughter's phone kept going off with tornado warnings basically saying to "take cover now!" For some reason mine didn't go off at all. Anyway, our area was not affected, thankfully. This park is 2 miles from our apartment and that's supposed to be a soccer field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11350494_10101242619703177_1925244185441540802_n.jpg (59.7 KB, 549 views)
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #1256
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just watching all the flooding in Houston and Austin. Glad I'm not there....made me womder how many of the NCAA baseball regionals there are gping to be affected? Especially if it keeps raining.

Stay safe all 'FOFC'ers in the area
Old 05-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #1257
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Sitting here on my Surface attached to my cell phone hotspot while the power is out during another severe thunderstorm. I am right across the street from the power grid in this area, so they should get me up pretty quick once they get here.

First time in the two years I've lived here that the power has went out. I always said we were too close to the source to have an outage. Now where is that wood I need to knock on?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #1258
cartman
Death Herald

An estimated 35 trillion gallons of rain fell on Texas in May. There is a chance of more flooding, as a weather system is moving in from the gulf that will pass right over some of the areas that had the most flooding last month. The ground is still saturated, so most rain is just going to runoff straight into the streams and rivers.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #1259
sabotai
General Manager

Got hit pretty hard with a storm on Tuesday. At my parent's house now. The electric has been out at my place since Tuesday and it might take until the weekend for it to be back on. Lots of trees down and a lot of roads still closed off.

NWS: No tornado, but winds leave widespread damage in Gloucester County | 6abc.com
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #1260
sabotai
General Manager

Power just came back on. The area has been slowly getting back to normal. Still a few roads closed here and there, a few traffic lights are still blinking yellow (with generators attached to them.)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #1261
cartman
Death Herald

The bad weather followed us on our trip to northern New Mexico last week. We found out when we got up there that there had been a flash flood the night before, and a Boy Scout was killed at Philmont, about 10 miles downstream from where our campsite was in the National Forest. At another camp on Philmont, a cabin was washed 30 feet downstream.

We ended up coming back a day early due to the storms. We had decent weather the first couple of days, but had 7 straight hours of heavy rain on Thursday, from 4pm to 11pm. We decided to pack up the next morning and head back. The road out of the National Forest was in horrible shape. There had been more flooding due to the seven hours of rain. The road was nearly washed out in several places. It took us nearly 2 hours to drive the 25 miles back to pavement.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #1262
PilotMan
Head Coach

We got rained out of a vacation to Gettysburgh a few years ago. Nothing as harrowing as all that, but we simply ran out of money because we had to buy a hotel room back to back nights. It was stressful and memorable, disappointing to leave early, but the good memories still win out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #1263
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Forest fires in Saskatchewan have blanketed us with smoke for the past week or so. Today is the first day the sun has managed to get through in awhile. I don't know how people in B.C. can deal with that kind of dreariness all the time.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #1264
molson
General Manager

We just finished off 9 consecutive 100+ degree days, including one that was 110+. The last day of that stretch I woke up at 4 AM just to drive up to Stanley, Idaho and hike in the woods and on the beach with the dog when it was still in the low-40s. (Stanley often has the lowest daily temperature in the lower 48 states). That was pretty glorious.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #1265
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Can summer actually start in Chicagoland, please?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #1266
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Can summer actually start in Chicagoland, please?

We've had 80's and 90's for like three weeks in a row here in Myrtle Beach, with very little rain C.W.- come visit
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #1267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Whew. Near miss tonight. Had a tornado touchdown about a mile from our house. No damage here thankfully.

And in case you were wondering why the Royals game was cancelled tonight, Weatherman and All-Star catcher Sal Perez is on site with Danny Duffy reporting the situation.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hp...98308023_n.mp4
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 AM   #1268
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is basically the worst summer I can ever remember. It's rained TONS almost every day and the weather hasn't even been warm. I regret even opening our small swimming pool this year cause it's pissing me off to look at it and its 67 degree water.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #1269
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This is basically the worst summer I can ever remember. It's rained TONS almost every day and the weather hasn't even been warm. I regret even opening our small swimming pool this year cause it's pissing me off to look at it and its 67 degree water.

It's been terrible in Cincy. We've only used our pool passed like 4 times and been to Kings Island 3. It sucks. I can't get any outside work done. Feels like a shitty fall around here. I've never seen it so cloudy and wet for a summer.

Like Steam?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #1270
Thomkal
Head Coach

North Myrtle Beach 15+ inches of rain last 24 hours. Thankfully I live south of Myrtle Beach, where we haven't received nearly as much. Rain and potential flood watches through Monday though,
Old 10-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #1271
Dutch
"Dutch"

I left out of NC today...they had some pretty good rain in Fayetteville, but nothing too terrible. It's rained all summer in Tampa, but the weather at least is perfect here right now. Sunny and 80. So a nice flip-flop for me.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #1272
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Rainy and a high of 58, here in Cincinnati today. Actually kind of chilly!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #1273
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
North Myrtle Beach 15+ inches of rain last 24 hours. Thankfully I live south of Myrtle Beach, where we haven't received nearly as much. Rain and potential flood watches through Monday though,

We were on vacation down in Myrtle the first half of the week. The weather was semi-sketchy the whole time, but nothing like what came in this weekend. We got doused pretty good up here the last couple of days, though as is typical, the mets overcooked the rain estimates and the local media ran with their usual "storm of the century of this month" hype that failed to pan out really.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #1274
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
We were on vacation down in Myrtle the first half of the week. The weather was semi-sketchy the whole time, but nothing like what came in this weekend. We got doused pretty good up here the last couple of days, though as is typical, the mets overcooked the rain estimates and the local media ran with their usual "storm of the century of this month" hype that failed to pan out really.

what and you didn't stop and say h? We've kind of been in between the areas being hit hard in Charleston and N Myrtle. They are getting just nailed, and we've only had brief periods of rain. Very strange,
Old 10-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #1275
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Check the #SCFlood hashtag on Twitter. It's going to take months for Columbia to get back to normal. So many roadways have been washed away.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #1276
Easy Mac

My mom and sisters live there, my dad lives in Orangeburg, and my in-laws were down on Seabrook this weekend. Needless to say, none of them are leaving their current locations. It's always nice to see a road collapse video of a road you've driven over literally hundreds of times.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #1277
Thomkal
Head Coach

So far we are okay here in Myrtle Beach area-more rain and flooding expected overnight and tomorrow before we see any clearing. We do live on a lake and one of the swales that help drain the area is right next to us. Its close to overflowing. Neighbor's garage is slightly flooded, and we have a little roof flooding perhaps. Couple houses flooded on the street outside the neighborhood from what I hear too.

Could be worse, could be underwater in Columbia, and under a curfew.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #1278
Thomkal
Head Coach

http://thetandd.com/news/scdot-close...bb8d56003.html
Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #1279
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
what and you didn't stop and say h? We've kind of been in between the areas being hit hard in Charleston and N Myrtle. They are getting just nailed, and we've only had brief periods of rain. Very strange,

Well we were way up on the north side of Myrtle across from Barefoot Landing and only made it down to your neck of the woods on the last day to see Brookgreen Gardens. This was after having our van's starter die on us on the second day of the trip, which pretty much confined us to the area immediately around the resort until we got someone to come out and fix it the next day (superb guy who I couldn't recommend enough if anyone got into a jam like we did with a car repair while on vacation in the area). We got along well enough, but mid-80s and oppressive tropical humidity were not conducive to doing much out of doors other than going to the beach. Other than that, it was a good little trip.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #1280
Thomkal
Head Coach

I know you were all worried about the fate of fire ants caught in the floods in South Carolina. Worry not...they apparently can form a raft out of their own bodies...

Islands made of ants seen floating around the Upstate - WBRC FOX6 - Birmingham, AL - WBRC.com
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #1281
Thomkal
Head Coach

Troubles are not over for many in South Carolina:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/06/us/sou...ing/index.html
Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #1282
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Troubles are not over for many in South Carolina:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/06/us/sou...ing/index.html
And that's just the immediate. Recovery is going to take years in some places.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #1283
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm not trying to change the conversation, but I'm surprised that somewhere, someone hasn't tried to coin this "Obama's Katrina."

Like Steam?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #1284
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm not trying to change the conversation, but I'm surprised that somewhere, someone hasn't tried to coin this "Obama's Katrina."

There's only certain groups that would be terrible enough to do that and apparently they like Obama.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #1285
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

It is crazy how localized this is.

I live in the Piedmont region of SC, squarely between the Midlands (columbia) and the Upstate (Greenville).

We got almost no rain. Less than 1" on the rain gauge. Have a small pond in the back yard that is still down over 18". In times before TV/radio extended travel Id be convinced we are still drought laden just looking out the windows.

My grandparents live 18 miles away "as the crow flies" (Thanks google earth) or about a 31 mile drive.

The road that leads down to the farm is completely washed out. Gone. No bridge, just washed the road away. Its crazy.

We went down Sunday to try and get grandma and grandpa to come stay with us for a few days. They are 92 and 93 respectively so I went prepared. Brought the truck and trailer. Some log timbers and boards prepared to make a make shift bridge (This is a one way in road. 5 house after the wash out. Road terminates at grandpas driveway) and get them across.

They refused to leave.

"We weren't planning on going into to town for at least 2 more weeks anyway, nothing will be different for us here"

The house sits high on a hill it isnt getting flooded. They have power and phones still and a generator in case the power goes out. (My contribution last big storm they refused to leave) Private well so water is good. Granpas keeps feeding the cows and counting them twice a day scared one is going to wash away.

I am pretty envious of his life, tbh.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #1286
Easy Mac

My sisters are both teachers in Columbia. School is canceled all week.

My in-laws drove back to Greenville from Charleston yesterday. A normal 3 hour drive took a little over 6 hours.

In Greenville, we got well over a foot of rain, but thankfully nothing really flooded. The pond by our house is easily the highest I've ever seen it, but it's pretty much at the bottom of a couple of hills, so no worries about it every getting to our house.

Unfortunately, our roof sprung a leak in our laundry room, and since we're going out of town today, we couldn't get anyone in until Monday. Hopefully it only looks bad and the water stains can just get painted over.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #1287
cartman
Death Herald

Fresh off of the torrential rains last weekend from the remnants of Hurricane Patricia, we have been hammered here in Central Texas again today. Over 8 inches of rain at my house since midnight, and just under 20 inches since last Friday. The Blanco River in Wimberely is projected to crest at over 31 feet, which means it will have hit two record highs in the past four months. I'm currently stuck at my house, as all of the low water crossings I'd have to take to get anywhere are all closed.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #1288
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yuck. Don't hesitate to call for help rather than riding it out Cartman. Here after all that freakish rain, things are starting to settle down, and Trick or Treaters should have a rain-free, warm night in the 60's
Old 10-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #1289
cartman
Death Herald

I've posted quite a few pics and videos to my Facebook and Twitter feeds. They are public, so anyone can see them. https://www.facebook.com/cartman

Nowhere really to call for help, unless they have a helicopter. I drove over to the bridge by the Salt Lick, and the water was running over it. The Salt Lick Pavilion, which is an event center, not the restaurant itself, and it is under 3-4 feet of water. They filmed one of the episodes of Top Chef Texas there. I talked to the state trooper that was there, and he said all we can do is ride it out and wait for the water to go down.

Last edited by cartman : 10-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #1290
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Looks like the Weather Network is starting to play it a little loose with the alerts system.
Attached Images
File Type: png winter-is-coming.png (89.6 KB, 164 views)
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #1291
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

The contents of that statement are even better:

Quote:
Summary
Winter is coming. An intense low pressure system with a strong cold front will sweep across the province Wednesday afternoon bringing an abrupt end to the mild November weather. Behind the cold front temperatures will plummet to normal for this time of year with overnight lows in the minus double digits. Alongside falling temperatures blustery northwesterly winds are expected with 60 gusting to 90 km/h likely. Flurries will be accompanying the winds which will reduce visibilities in blowing snow at times. Finally, with the cold air, northwest winds and open lakes, snow squalls are expected in the lee of Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg. Conditions will improve Thursday night as winds begin to diminish.

Alert! Alert! NORMAL TEMPERATURES ARE COMING!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #1292
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Dola

The contents of that statement are even better:

Alert! Alert! NORMAL TEMPERATURES ARE COMING!

We're getting the same warning here, reminder to bundle up, average temperatures are coming, maybe some snow and other associated winter goings-on.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 AM   #1293
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Here it comes... Saturday we should get about 4-5 inches of snow. Hardly severe, but I am not ready for this... at least I've been working out more lately.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #1294
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Kevin Hart got a nice taste of Winnipeg yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/-R1ysCiY...kevinhart4real
Old 11-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #1295
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm too old for this... NWS really blew the forecast. We're at 10", still under the warning. I've already spent over two hours shoveling this mess - the heavy watery stuff that sticks to the shovel.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #1296
Thomkal
Head Coach

oof.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #1297
cartman
Death Herald

Huge swarm of tornadoes hit the DFW area today. Early reports of 11 tornadoes, with 8 fatalities.

Updates: 8 reported dead in North Texas storms | The Star-Telegram
Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #1298
tarcone
Coordinator

Missouri is flooding.
We are on tap to get 7-10 inches of rain. The river that runs by our town is going to flood Wednesday. 3 feet shy of its record. Businesses are moving stuff. There was a sandbag filling party tonight.

I70 is shut down until Monday afternoon in St. Charles county.

Crazy stuff.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #1299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Missouri is flooding.
We are on tap to get 7-10 inches of rain. The river that runs by our town is going to flood Wednesday. 3 feet shy of its record. Businesses are moving stuff. There was a sandbag filling party tonight.

I70 is shut down until Monday afternoon in St. Charles county.

Crazy stuff.

Glad we didn't get all that. I'll take the ice/snow we got over that any day.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #1300
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crazy to see something like this happening at Lake of the Ozarks.

Docks Break Free, Floating With Boats On Flooded Lake Of The Ozarks [VIDEO] - LakeExpo.com: Lake News