Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #1251
Pyser
Pro Rookie

devils trade d brookbank to the ducks for a prospect.

not bad, picked him up on waivers last year, has been our 8th/9th d-man depending on which season you look at, but always stayed with the big club. from the outside the devils d sucks, but in reality, we havea very good top 7 d set...just no one youd say is obviously a top 4 (maybe martin, maybe salvadore, but both could be argued against). but a solid, solid d, no disrespect to brookbank for not playing

only played 15 games this year, and id say half of those were at right wing. big boy, not great skills wise, but serviceable. enjoy him, anaheim.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #1252
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I won't miss Brookbank too much. I mean, he's fine on the third pairing, but I agree that there was just no space for him. I hope he gets a little more playing time with the Ducks.

Just to talk about the Devils a little more, I'm surprised that Jay Pandolfo is still a healthy scratch every night. I mean, I can see how Shanahan's arrival would push Pandolfo out for a game or two, but I expected Rupp or even Clarkson to end up getting scratched occasionally. Nope. Just Pandolfo. With the way New Jersey's been playing, I can't complain, but I feel kinda bad that a longtime solid player could spend essentially the rest of the season on the bench.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #1253
samifan24
Pro Starter

Aren't Rupp and Clarkson now the same player? Clarkson used to fight and can't play. Rupp used to play and now fights. Am I missing something?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #1254
Pyser
Pro Rookie

rupp is bigger and always runs into the goalie for no reason

clarkson only knows how to toe drag and miss wrap arounds.

hope that clears everything up
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #1255
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Aren't Rupp and Clarkson now the same player? Clarkson used to fight and can't play. Rupp used to play and now fights. Am I missing something?
That's a pretty accurate assessment. Clarkson does have some skills on offense, but I really don't see the need to have both of those guys in the lineup every night. Throw Bobby Holik's name in there, and now you have three guys who you could really rotate with Pandolfo. None of these players are indispensible every night. Hell, I'd almost want Pandolfo in there a little more often because at least he'll stay out of the penalty box.

Anyway, I'm not the coach, and I'm not at practice or in the dressing room, so I don't claim to know the reasons. From the outside, it just seems a little sad that Pandolfo's the guy who's lost his job, especially considering that Clarkson, Rupp, and Holik don't really bring much to the table individually.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #1256
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
rupp is bigger and always runs into the goalie for no reason

clarkson only knows how to toe drag and miss wrap arounds.

hope that clears everything up
LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #1257
Pyser
Pro Rookie

by the way, pumpy...have you noticed parise is the best offensive player uh, maybe ever, for the devils? he's unreal this season.

he even makes fancypants elias look good, and they arent even on the same line.

and zajac exploded too. quite nice.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #1258
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yeah, Parise is on fire. I absolutely love him. It's been a long time since a Devils player was that exciting on offense. I guess Gionta that one year he blew up, but that was a fluke. Parise is no fluke.

Zajac has been a surprise. I was really starting to think that he'd be a Brylin-type player. Solid, not stupid, but not going to score a bunch for you. He's turning out to be better than that.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #1259
bbor
Pro Starter

Lucky you don;t have to blog this shit tonight ML.What a horrid game.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Last edited by bbor : 02-04-2009 at 08:46 PM.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #1260
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

"Breakfasts come and go, Renee, but Hartford...the Whale...they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Unfortunately, there is some truth to this quote as the ex-Whale still can't beat Vancouver in Vancouver (hasn't happened in 10 years--granted the scheduling since the lockout has made this even harder to do, but even so).

Seriously, how else to explain giving up a shorty with just 82 seconds to go last night after battling back to tie it up at 3-all and getting a power play in the dying moments?

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want them to become cannon fodder for the Bruins in the first round or whether I'd rather them continue their historic streak of not making the playoffs after winning the Cup (now at two seasons and counting). Neither seems very appealing at the moment, but given the suckage that is NC State basketball and the spectacular implosion by the Panthers in the NFC playoffs, it's about all I've got to look forward to.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #1261
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Lucky you don;t have to blog this shit tonight ML.What a horrid game.
Yeah. But I am doing Habs/Leafs on Saturday, which might be worse.

P.S. Where were you last week? No FOFC love at all during that blog.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #1262
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I'm hoping for Leafs fans sake that wasn't Luke Schenn's normal game. He looked as green as grass out there tonight.

Although, to be fair, it's not like anyone other than Pogge showed up for Toronto...

Considering the long trip out west, quite the dominating performance by Buffalo tonight.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #1263
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yeah. But I am doing Habs/Leafs on Saturday, which might be worse.

P.S. Where were you last week? No FOFC love at all during that blog.

I read the blog the next day...does that count?

I think if the wife is workin on Saturday night i should be able to drop a few lines on you

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #1264
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just a horrible effort by Toronto. And talk about being stupid. They just kept taking penalty after penalty (I think they got 4 or 5 penalties right after the Leafs would go on a power play).

Buffalo played impressive, but it's hard to judge due to Toronto playing as poorly as they did. They just stood around all night.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #1265
bbor
Pro Starter

Even allowing 5 goals,Pogge could have been the star of the game.

I would'nt be surprised if Wilson has them bag skating tommorrow morning even after playing back to back games.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #1266
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, CR it looks like you were right and I was wrong. Watching the last couple of games Ducks are absolute shit. This is nowhere near a playoff team... very disappointing. And the Brookbank and Brown pickups make no sense whatsoever. Not sure which direction we are trying to go in right now. Ugh.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #1267
Logan
Head Coach

Posting this here as well as the Avery thread since I'm guessing it will result in actual hockey-related discussion:

RANGERS TRYING TO BRING FORWARD BACK - New York Post

I love the potential move. Love it. This team is dead as currently assembled and needs life added to it. When I was at the game Tuesday night there was an Avery chant going, the fans know he's needed too.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #1268
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Logan, what was the Crosby story you had to tell me?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #1269
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Posting this here as well as the Avery thread since I'm guessing it will result in actual hockey-related discussion:

RANGERS TRYING TO BRING FORWARD BACK - New York Post

I love the potential move. Love it. This team is dead as currently assembled and needs life added to it. When I was at the game Tuesday night there was an Avery chant going, the fans know he's needed too.

Hahaha. I love the possibility of seeing Sean Avery in Hartford.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #1270
Logan
Head Coach

Good memory man...

So I'm at the game Tuesday night and the team is playing like complete shit once the initial juice from the Graves ceremony left the building. I'm there with a buddy who has season tix and in the row directly in front of me are two guys around my age and sitting to the right of them are two guys probably around 30. Being that I've sat in these seats before, I know these two are pretty hardcore fans and know their shit (like 95% of hockey fans).

So one of the younger guys decides he's going to spend his night complaining about Tom Renney. Every few minutes he would try and get a "Fire Renney" chant going. Guys next to him give him a "WTF?" look. He continues chanting...guys next to him start dropping facts on him...is it Renney's fault none of our guys can score?...is it Renney's fault our guys can't even put the puck on net? The kid is clearly annoying them so they are getting louder and more animated.

Now during the whole game the kid was on his Blackberry every now and then, and since I'm right in between him and his buddy, I have a perfect view of his phone so I notice something on it.

I believe it was early in the 3rd, and Paul Mara made a horrible misplay...just gave the puck away. "Fire Renney!" Guy next to him flips, "Stop being a jackass!" They start yelling back and forth at each other. This is when I feel like it's time for me to step in. I tap the guy on the shoulder, "Hey man, don't bother with this clown...he claims to be a Ranger fan but (turning to kid) HE HAS A FUCKIN PICTURE OF SIDNEY CROSBY AS THE BACKGROUND OF HIS PHONE!" Everyone starts cracking up and people started the "asshole" chant at him. Kid didn't say a word the rest of the game and then left a few minutes before Naslund tied it up.

Tool.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #1271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Great story

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #1272
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

People like that annoy the crap out me at games. They are the same ones that yell "SHOOT" the entire time during a power play. Even though there is no clear shot to the net, they still want them to just fire it into a defenders leg.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #1273
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
People like that annoy the crap out me at games. They are the same ones that yell "SHOOT" the entire time during a power play. Even though there is no clear shot to the net, they still want them to just fire it into a defenders leg.

Let's not generalize all fans that yell "shoot" during a power play. Some were scarred by years of Hartford Whaler "power plays" which involved a lot of passing and far too little shooting.

Last edited by samifan24 : 02-06-2009 at 08:56 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #1274
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

This is one reason why I don't go to as many games as I do. I can't recall the last time I went to a Red Wings game and there wasn't some Red Wings fan in my immediate proximity who annoyed the living shit out of me. Back in the day it was guys who just whined and whined about how much they hated the Russians and how they should trade all 5 of them for Keith Tkachuck and someone else. There was the woman who just never stopped shouting at players and kept using their "nicknames" over and over "Come on, Drapes! Come on, Drapes! Skate, Mac! Move, Malts! Pass it, Stevie! Pass it!" And then there was the woman who everytime the puck got anywhere near the Wings' net she would scream at the goalie (Mike Vernon at the time) "Get back in the net! Get back in the net! Don't leave the net!"

I have said this before, but (present company excluded of course) I tend to find the majority of Red Wings' fans deeply fucking irritating.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #1275
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This is one reason why I don't go to as many games as I do. I can't recall the last time I went to a Red Wings game and there wasn't some Red Wings fan in my immediate proximity who annoyed the living shit out of me. Back in the day it was guys who just whined and whined about how much they hated the Russians and how they should trade all 5 of them for Keith Tkachuck and someone else. There was the woman who just never stopped shouting at players and kept using their "nicknames" over and over "Come on, Drapes! Come on, Drapes! Skate, Mac! Move, Malts! Pass it, Stevie! Pass it!" And then there was the woman who everytime the puck got anywhere near the Wings' net she would scream at the goalie (Mike Vernon at the time) "Get back in the net! Get back in the net! Don't leave the net!"

I have said this before, but (present company excluded of course) I tend to find the majority of Red Wings' fans deeply fucking irritating.

I've long since learned that a Wings fans IQ is directley related to if they are wearing a Wings Nut hat or not.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #1276
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I tend to find the ALL of Red Wings' fans deeply fucking irritating.

I wholeheartedly agree

Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #1277
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree

Go eat a chalupa and STFU!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #1278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Does anyone wear his heart on his sleeve more than Manny Legace? Once again, poor ole Manny is back at it.

The Blues placed goaltender Manny Legace on waivers this morning, the Post-Dispatch has learned.

The team will know this weekend whether Legace has been claimed by another team.

If he is not, Legace will be sent to Peoria.

"It's extremely tough," Legace said this morning. "You play your heart out for a team, and the minute you hit a little bit of a rough patch, they dump on you.

"It was very hard to hear."

Poor Manny.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #1279
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Let's not generalize all fans that yell "shoot" during a power play. Some were scarred by years of Hartford Whaler "power plays" which involved a lot of passing and far too little shooting.

The Sabres tend to do this. You need to find a balance.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #1280
Pyser
Pro Rookie

fucking rangers. watch a guy sign a 4 year deal and then about 9 months later get him back for free....at only $6m or so total. god i hate that team.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #1281
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

The Hurricanes have almost got this figured out finally. Almost.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #1282
MikeVic
Head Coach

ESPN.com NHL Player Survey: Who tops players' lists - ESPN

Go Kerry Fraser!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #1283
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Haha the answer to question #4
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #1284
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

You've been spending lots of time at the Mellon Arena?

People will yell shoot when Fleury is setting up a dump in behind the net.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #1285
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Oh man...ML is gonna spin.

He might quit hockey after this.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #1286
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh man...ML is gonna spin.
Of course the players like Fraser. He lets them high-stick each other in the face without calling a penalty. He's like the awesome high school teacher who lets you smoke in class.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #1287
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oof. Sorry Oil. 4-0 Wings in the first.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #1288
DeToxRox
Head Coach

5-0. Awful play by the Oilers at center ice, Z swipes it and feeds it to Dats for goal.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #1289
DeToxRox
Head Coach

First period stats:

Wings Goals: 5
Oilers shots: 5
Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #1290
bbor
Pro Starter

LOL.you sure it's not the Leafs?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #1291
Travis
Pro Rookie

I normally don't cheer against my favorite teams, but combine MacT making a few more ridiculous roster decisions, Roli slashing Cleary in the groin and the Oilers needing a shakeup, I don't mind seeing Roli getting lit up today.

There's a lot of potential on this team, so sad that the coach is more concerned about playing favorites than putting the team in the best chance to succeed and the odds of actually firing him is just about 0.

But I mean hey, when you're looking for somebody to play at Hemsky's level, obviously the season long 4th line center is the answer.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #1292
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Travis, how did you not put your fist through a wall on that 5th goal? WTF was Brodz doing?
Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #1293
Travis
Pro Rookie

I like Brodziak, he's a good 3/4 liner, pretty good on the dot, but there he's trying to do too much. He's been thrown on the first line when all the talk is about how they need somebody to compliment Hemsky. He's not playing his game at that point because of a) being plugged in on the first line and b) the score of the game. Instead of making his usual play in that situation, he was looking to create and did, just not for the right team.

Not totally absolving him of the mistake, but that's on MacT as much as it is Brodziak.

The one I wanted to put my fist through the wall on was the first goal that set the tone for the game. Roli with a selfish penalty then can't stop an open look at Rafalski's shot.

Last edited by Travis : 02-07-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #1294
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Hopefully the Wings used up their goal supply for the weekend there. Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens win 7-6 again tomorrow.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #1295
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Detroit Red Wings foreign scout flies to Baghdad to watch a
young Iraqi play hockey in the new American sponsored league, and is
suitably impressed and arranges for him to come over to the US.

Ken Holland signs him to a one year contract and the kid joins the
team for the preseason.

Two weeks later the Wings are down 4-0 to the Blackhawks with only
10 minutes left. Mike Babcock gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in.
The kid is a sensation - scores 5 goals in 10 minutes and wins the game for
the Wings! The fans are delighted, the players and coaches are delighted,
and the media love the new star.

When the player comes off the ice he phones his mom to tell her
about his first day of NHL hockey. "Hello mom, guess what?" he says in an
Iraqi accent. " I played for 10 minutes today, we were 4-0 down, but I
scored 5 goals and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all
love me."

"Wonderful," says his mom, "Let me tell you about my day. Your
father got shot in the street and robbed, your sister and I were ambushed,
raped and beaten, and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all
while you were having such great time."

The young Iraqi is very upset. "What can I say mom, but I'm so
sorry."

"Sorry? You're sorry? !!" says his mom, "It's your fault we moved
to Detroit in the first place!"
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #1296
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I LOL'd

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #1297
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in. After giving up the shorthanded game winner in Vancouver on Tuesday, Carolina manages somehow to win both their remaining games on the road trip out west, including a rather surprising SO win over San Jose even though it looked like they kinda-sorta waved the white flag for a bit by sending out backup goalie Michael Leighton for that one and then followed that with a whipping of the Coyotes over the last half of last night's game that turned a 2-2 game into a 7-2 rout. Kudos to the team for not rolling over after that horrid end to the first game of the trip. I still say they're not much more than a first-round victim for the Bruins right now, but at least they're going to try to do something with this year it looks like.

Carolina's now in eighth in the East and it looks like it'll be a three-horse race between them, Pittsburgh, and Florida for the last spot. With Pittsburgh getting dumped by Detroit today, Carolina has two points on the Pens and a game in hand, while Florida has a couple of games in hand on Carolina and lie a point back in ninth. Carolina's off until Thursday when they'll get to play the Panthers in Raleigh.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #1298
samifan24
Pro Starter

I have to hand it to San Jose, they completely outplayed the Bruins in the 3rd period. It seems like Boston's forwards are all hitting a wall at the same time, Krejci and Wheeler especially. I think it's time the Bruins make a move and infuse the club with some new blood. I've heard Erik Cole's name floated and I like the deal as long as the Bruins don't move Hunwick in the deal.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #1299
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Fun stat find from another forum:

Total career points:
Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky = 2,857 (regular) + 382 (playoffs) = 3,239
Every player who has dressed for the Coyotes this season = 2,995 points (regular) + 74 (playoffs) = 3,069
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #1300
Pyser
Pro Rookie

devils get the bruins and sharks this weekend. pretty good test to see where they are really at right now, minus brodeur.