Old 03-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #1251
MrBug708
Head Coach

Both teams aren't playing great, but UCLA manages the lead at half
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #1252
Logan
Head Coach

Anybody know what the spread was on this game?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #1253
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Anybody know what the spread was on this game?

6 or 6.5
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #1254
MrBug708
Head Coach

5.5 I think?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #1255
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

6 at bodog
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #1256
st.cronin
General Manager

That ad with the baby vomiting disgusts me. Why, why, why.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #1257
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't watch much basketball, but this is one of the worst games I've ever seen. Between the turnovers and flat-out bricks, UCLA is winning by default. Aside from the Tampa games the first Friday, this tournament has stunk on ice.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #1258
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is still playing subpar, but this second half has been a bit better for UCLA.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #1259
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't watch much basketball, but this is one of the worst games I've ever seen. Between the turnovers and flat-out bricks, UCLA is winning by default. Aside from the Tampa games the first Friday, this tournament has stunk on ice.

I hate to say it, but I kindof agree. Not much drama this year, really, except for that first Tampa day.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-29-2008 at 07:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #1260
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Aside from the Tampa games the first Friday, this tournament has stunk on ice.

"

knives out
Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #1261
Jas_lov
College Starter

Xavier vs. WV, Stanford vs. Marquette, Davidson over Georgetown AND Wisconsin, UCLA's scare vs. A&M. UCLA had an easy bracket. The other 3 elite 8 games should be good and there's still cinderella Davidson left.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #1262
Ksyrup

Has there been a worse Sweet 16/Elite 8? Not one of these games has been good so far. best we've had is a competitive game into the second half that gets blown out. It's hard to believe.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #1263
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Xavier vs. WV, Stanford vs. Marquette, Davidson over Georgetown AND Wisconsin, UCLA's scare vs. A&M. UCLA had an easy bracket. The other 3 elite 8 games should be good and there's still cinderella Davidson left.

When you're able to tick off the decent games in this tournament this quickly, that underscores how bad it's been. And Davidson is really not a Cinderella, other than they are a small school from a small conference. They proved they could play with top teams during the season AND they were ranked fairly highly going into the tournament. But it's been so bad that the media is jumping on any half-decent story and blowing it out of proportion.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #1264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am now turning the game off in favor of House
Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #1265
Ksyrup

I haven't read a post on any page in this thread other than this one, so if this has been covered already (and I hope it has), I apologize, BUT....I FUCKING HATE BILL RAFTERY. STFU DUDE!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #1266
Jas_lov
College Starter

That is a cinderella! Small school, small conference, low seed, advances further than they're supposed to. Maybe it hasn't been the best tournament, but there's still been some great games.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #1267
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
That is a cinderella! Small school, small conference, low seed, advances further than they're supposed to. Maybe it hasn't been the best tournament, but there's still been some great games.

No, a Cinderella is all those things PLUS a team that's on the fringe. George Mason's run was a true surprise. Davidson is one of the top 20 or so teams in the nation. I don't care if they come from a school of 15 people, that doesn't make them a Cinderella.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #1268
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I haven't read a post on any page in this thread other than this one, so if this has been covered already (and I hope it has), I apologize, BUT....I FUCKING HATE BILL RAFTERY. STFU DUDE!

o c'mon. It was great when he called Kevin Love amphibous because he can shoot with his left or right hand.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #1269
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Most of the announcer hate has been aimed at Billy Packer, but Raftery deserves his share too.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #1270
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
o c'mon. It was great when he called Kevin Love amphibous because he can shoot with his left or right hand.

That was the greatest line I've ever heard
Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #1271
MrBug708
Head Coach

Get the puppies together!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #1272
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

assuming UNC doesn't get to far ahead the battle down low between Padget and Hansbrough is gonna be great
Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #1273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When you're able to tick off the decent games in this tournament this quickly, that underscores how bad it's been.

'Course that list does omit Duke-Belmont, San Diego-UConn, WKU-Drake, all of which were pretty good in the opening round.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #1274
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Everyone will use different measures to compare coaches, but:

Through the 2006-07 season, Ford's Division I coaching record stands at 98-104, and 165-135 overall (67-31 at Campbellsville, 61-80 at EKU, 37-24 at UMass).

Grats on Ford getting his career record over .500 in division 1 this year.
That's absurdly twisting things. Ford's gone to moribund programs and turned them around - EKU from 9 wins the previous 2 years combined to 22 wins (the 1st winning season in 11 years) and an NCAA berth. Came to UMass, went from 13 wins to back to back 24 win seasons. We did see what Calipari did in his first 3 years here - 10 wins, 17 then 20 and a trip to the NIT Final Four. I very much doubt Pitino could have done any better the last three years either.
Quote:
I'm not saying he's a bad coach at all, and he's risen through the ranks really well and has UMass heading in a very good direction. But I think it takes a hell of a hatred for the power conferences(or maybe just being a major homer, and sure there's nothing wrong with that, I'm one myself) to honestly makethe argument that you'd rather have your current coach than Rick Pitino(I know that isn't exactly what you said but "arguably as good" seems to imply it).

The vast majority of mid-major coaches jump up to bigger schools when given the opportunity. The A-10 is in a unique situation where they aren't a big 6 power conference but they're a clear step above the traditional mid majors as well, but I think its completely common sense that the best coaches are going to most of the time try to take the jobs that give them the best chance to succeed, which in nearly all cases are big dollar, high prestige schools. And thus most "best coaches" lists are going to be dominated by big conference coaches, even if you for some reason discount NCAA Tournament success, which I think is a ridiculous thing to do.

And yes, I do think that all the guys in my big conference biased top 5, given 10 years, would have more success at UMass than Ford would over 10 years, or most other hypothetical situations you could come up with, and i don't think too many people will disagree!
But just like you say, the higher up the ladder coaches go, the easier it is to succeed. It's not hatred of the big conferences to say that getting to the Sweet 16 at UMass is as hard as making the Final 4 from a UNC or Kansas. That's why it's silly to use national championships or top 5 finishes as the barometer for how good a coach is. When they do a similar list in 10 years, you'll have someone from the Ford/Miller/Few class on these lists, probably at a BCS school, but they're not an appreciably better coach then than they are now. Just as Billy Gillispie isn't a better coach because he's at UK than he was when he was at UTEP or A&M, Howland didn't get better when he switched from Pitt to UCLA, Pitino didn't get any better at UK than when he was at BU/Providence and Matta isn't better at Ohio St than he was at Xavier. But yet, none of the 4 were getting on top 10 coaches lists at their old schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The problem with Arizona now is that the tools that made Lute a success, are not the tools he chooses to work with anymore. He hires poor assistants and recruits players who don't listen to him
But he does have Brandon Jennings and his phenomenal House Party fade coming in next year.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #1275
Ksyrup

My first post recognized that the Tampa Friday games were the best. And even including the other games mentioned, the real problem is that there isn't anything in between - either a few great, close games/upsets, or complete blowouts. And this Sweet 16/Elite 8 has been beyond terrible.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #1276
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Has there been a worse Sweet 16/Elite 8? Not one of these games has been good so far. best we've had is a competitive game into the second half that gets blown out. It's hard to believe.
Xavier-West Virginia was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That was the greatest line I've ever heard
Even when he's said it at least 4 times this tournament? And explained the reference every. single. time?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #1277
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
1. Other than the occasional Kevin Love or Aaron Gray, he REALLY seems to have a tough time recruiting top big men.

Howland is definitely one of best, I was just nitpicking. I hadn't really considered the problem with recruiting big men, though. It's interesting, actually, that Aaron Gray is the second guy on the list, because really the Pitt coaches did a great job developing him into a quality player. He wasn't highly regarded at all, and didn't show much early in his career. He got better every year, though.

I remember Beilein watched him work out and didn't think he was D-1 material, and the cupboard was pretty bare at WVU at that point. In fact, looking it up, Gray's only offers were Rutgers and Pitt.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #1278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My first post recognized that the Tampa Friday games were the best.

My bad, I didn't take that into account properly.

Quote:
And this Sweet 16/Elite 8 has been beyond terrible.

I think that's got a lot to do with the teams this year. Very little I've seen this year leads me to believe there's any really great ones this season, just a handful that are capable of being very good at times and a whole bunch that are very good on their best night, pretty good most nights, and very mediocre on their worst nights. Get those two extremes together & you get the stinkers we've seen so far.

I think Tennessee is a great example of what I'm trying to say. Flaws & all I do think they're at least among the 12 or so best teams in the country this year, in the top 5 or so when they play near their potential ... but there were a number of fatal flaws with them that were obvious to anyone who watched them all year (I'm sure other people could say the same about the team(s) they see the most).
Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #1279
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Green has been bleeding for like 2 minutes. How did the officials miss that?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #1280
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And explained the reference every. single. time?

enlighten us.

many. of. us. probably. don't. listen. to. all. the. commentary.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-29-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #1281
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I've heard that amphibious "joke" dozens of times from lots of different guys.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #1282
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
That's absurdly twisting things. Ford's gone to moribund programs and turned them around - EKU from 9 wins the previous 2 years combined to 22 wins (the 1st winning season in 11 years) and an NCAA berth.

My entire point is that it is my opinion that it is a *major* stretch to go from "has done a great job early in his career turning programs around and is a coach on the rise" to "as good as Rick Pitino." or "not appreciably different than Rick Pitino"

Everyone has their own measures for any sort of top 5 or top 10 list, but I don't think looking at the entire career of a coach, and weighting in postseason success and recent history, is a horrendously bad thing to do.

A-10 teams have had a very good amount of success over the last 30 years. Temple had some outstanding teams, Xavier has been great recently, St Joseph's had a few great years, UMass had the years with Calapari. I don't know exactly how to view them, but I really don't really think UMass in the sweet 16 is harder than Kansas in the final four. The A-10 has been down a little outside Xavier I think lately, but they're a league capable of getting 3 teams in the tournament in many years and a deep run by an A-10 team is hardly a suprise.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #1283
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
enlighten us.

many. of. us. probably. don't. listen. to. all. the. commentary.

I honestly don't know if its on video or recorded anywhere to confirm that its more than just an urban legend, but Charles Shackleford of NC State in the mid 1980s supposedly said in an interview "I can shoot with my left or my right hand. I'm amphibious"

At the time, NC State had two superstars, Chris Washburn and Shackleford, who might not have scored a 1000 on the SAT if you added up their scores(Washburn was famous for having an SAT score under 500), and shackleford wasn't much smarter.

I'm not sure how this elevated from UNC and Duke fans taking jabs at the Pack and their stupid playrs, to urban legend status, but that is my understanding!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #1284
MrBug708
Head Coach

Chris Taft would have been better then Aaron Gray had he stayed for all four years or had he decided to follow Ben out to UCLA
Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #1285
st.cronin
General Manager

On the subject of top coaches, I think 3 consecutive Final Fours is really, really impressive.

I also am surprised people are so willing to dismiss Billy Donovan's accomplishment.

knives out
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #1286
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thank. You. Radii.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #1287
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
No, a Cinderella is all those things PLUS a team that's on the fringe. George Mason's run was a true surprise. Davidson is one of the top 20 or so teams in the nation. I don't care if they come from a school of 15 people, that doesn't make them a Cinderella.
Maybe they *should* have been a top 20 team in your eyes, but you don't get a 10-seed in the tourney if you are in the top 20. They were looked at in the exact same way by the committee as St. Marys and South Alabama. And, I think we all would have been fairly shocked to see either of those teams in the Elite 8.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #1288
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Maybe they *should* have been a top 20 team in your eyes, but you don't get a 10-seed in the tourney if you are in the top 20. They were looked at in the exact same way by the committee as St. Marys and South Alabama. And, I think we all would have been fairly shocked to see either of those teams in the Elite 8.

I agree 100%.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #1289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1
Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #1290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Happened to notice this little blurb over at espn.com

Quote:
The four NCAA Tournament games on Friday night were decided by margins of 20, 18, 17 and 15 points. The average victory margin - 17.5 points per game was the highest in Tournament history on any four-game day in the Round of 16. The old mark: an average winning margin of 16.75 points on March 25, 1993.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #1291
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

For all of the blowout games we've had to endure since the opening round, this game is making up for it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #1292
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, gotta love Padget's game. I'm liking this L'Ville team but I need UNC to win for my bracket - torn...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #1293
Radii
Head Coach

That was a HUGE stop and then 3 by Lawson.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #1294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

terrible turnover there
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #1295
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

man...it's been right there for L'ville to take, but they just haven't
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #1296
Radii
Head Coach

are you kidding me? Dear god Hansbrough.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #1297
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sorry UNC fans for the imagery, but Hansbrough is the 2000s version of Christian Laettner. He just owns the college game right now.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #1298
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry UNC fans for the imagery, but Hansbrough is the 2000s version of Christian Laettner. He just owns the college game right now.

I understand the comparasion, but I sincerely hope he's not that big a douchebag.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #1299
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I understand the comparasion, but I sincerely hope he's not that big a douchebag.

he doesn't seem to be a douchebag at all
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #1300
Radii
Head Coach

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FINAL FOUR

*breathes for the first time in 2 hours*