Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #1251
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I like Viduka. I think he has a better all-around game than he's typically given credit for.

My only question is how well he and Martin will play together. I've never seen Martin so I can't really even guess.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #1252
Critch
lolzcat

Sky Sports in the UK are saying that Real Madrid have announced that they plan to keep Beckham. Not sure what he's signed with MLS, or how binding it is.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #1253
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Sky Sports in the UK are saying that Real Madrid have announced that they plan to keep Beckham. Not sure what he's signed with MLS, or how binding it is.

Very, very interesting. I assume there would be at least some (and probably significant) compensation coming MLS's way if this does happen, but I don't know enough about the contract.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #1254
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's not going to happen. Beckham has a clause in his contract that he can stay at Real if he wants to, but the President of Real Madrid (the one trying to resign him now), said this back in January..

David Beckham was belittled by Real Madrid's president Tuesday as a Hollywood movie-star hopeful spurned by most of the world's top soccer teams.

Team president Ramon Calderon, in comments expected to further sour relations between Beckham and the Spanish club, said the English midfielder joined the Los Angeles Galaxy because there were no other takers.

"The proof that our technical staff was correct not to retain him has been borne out by every other technical staff in the world not wanting him even though he was out of contract," Calderon said in a speech to university students that was broadcast by Cadena COPE radio station on Tuesday.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #1255
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It's not going to happen. Beckham has a clause in his contract that he can stay at Real if he wants to, but the President of Real Madrid (the one trying to resign him now), said this back in January..

David Beckham was belittled by Real Madrid's president Tuesday as a Hollywood movie-star hopeful spurned by most of the world's top soccer teams.

Team president Ramon Calderon, in comments expected to further sour relations between Beckham and the Spanish club, said the English midfielder joined the Los Angeles Galaxy because there were no other takers.

"The proof that our technical staff was correct not to retain him has been borne out by every other technical staff in the world not wanting him even though he was out of contract," Calderon said in a speech to university students that was broadcast by Cadena COPE radio station on Tuesday.

hehe i cant help but smile
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #1256
Critch
lolzcat

Beckham's wife says he's going to LA, so I guess that's it settled
Old 06-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #1257
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

False alarm

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...437847&cc=5901 Beckham's spokesman sez he's still going to LA
Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #1258
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I like Viduka. I think he has a better all-around game than he's typically given credit for.

My only question is how well he and Martin will play together. I've never seen Martin so I can't really even guess.

I think it'll work pretty nicely. Martins is a speedy young striker, while Viduka is a big, strong presence up front. It'd be the classic big & powerful and smaller & speedy striker pairing.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #1259
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Sevilla are all playing simultaneously today, each game at halftime. Messi just scored an outrageous handball goal to bring their game vs. Espanyol to 1-1, Barca would now be top of the league if results stood since Real is losing to Zaragoza. RvN should've just scored right before halftime but the keeper made a nice save on his header. Exciting stuff so far.

USA - T&T starts in one hour as well. Good soccer viewing day.

The La Liga action was freakin bonkers this weekend. Holy lord was that a wild 90 minutes.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 AM   #1260
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

Great games in the Liga, but there is not anything resolved. The Real Madrid draw was good with the Barsa draw with the Espanyol (another team from the city of Barcelona), and the draw of the Sevilla.

In the relegation fight there is a great battle with some historic teams involved (Real Sociedad, Athletic and Betis).

As "madridista" I hope that R. Madrid won the Liga, but I think that the Real Madrid's president (Calderon) is one of the dumbest presidents of the league.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #1261
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
The La Liga action was freakin bonkers this weekend. Holy lord was that a wild 90 minutes.

The best thing about the last minute of the weekends games was that it meant the league title wasn't going to be decided by Barcelona cheating and some shocking refereeing.

I don't like either of the Spanish giants, but I've got my fingers crossed that Real clinch it next weekend.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #1262
daedalus
Pro Rookie

And, number one reason why I can never, ever (and I mean EVER) root for Argentina . . .

I'm with Critch in that, in spite of being supporters of neither, I am now rooting for Real Madrid. I did even used to have a lean toward Barca until this past weekend, in spite of their repeated (and I mean RE-FUCKING-PEATED) attempts to stir shit with Henry.

Seriously, who would EVER friggin' thought of rooting for Real as the friggin' underdog/People's Choice?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #1263
daedalus
Pro Rookie

And, uhh, with all apologies to Citeh fans . . . [nelson muntz]HA, HA![/nelson muntz]

As an aside, the above humourful taunt had zero to do with my status as a fan/supporter of Arsenal taunting or mocking Manchester City and their fans and has everything to do with the fact that I'm Thai.

HA, HA!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #1264
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
I don't like either of the Spanish giants, but I've got my fingers crossed that Real clinch it next weekend.

Sevilla are still in it, just two points behind.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #1265
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Sevilla are still in it, just two points behind.

Don't like them either
Old 06-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #1266
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...285110,00.html

Fun stuff.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #1267
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Seriously, who would EVER friggin' thought of rooting for Real as the friggin' underdog/People's Choice?

Just to add to their downtrodden underdog image, Brazil have blocked Robinho playing in the final Real Madrid game as he's needed for the Copa America squad. Ronaldinho will be playing for Barcelona as he's not in the Copa America squad cos he asked to be left out as he needs a rest.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #1268
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Anyone getting a sense of the UK perspective on all of these potential club takeovers? The 5th richest man in the world potentially buying Birmingham City? The Thai Prime Minister purchasing Manchester City? I have a hard time seeing how this will ultimately be good for the global game and the game in England. But I'm curious about what the popular point of view might be on these things.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #1269
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I dislike Real Madrid but van Nistelrooy is one of my favorite players. Hopefully he scores a hat-trick and Real draws 3-3 this weekend while Barcelona wins.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #1270
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Anybody watching Mexico-Panama (final game of the Gold Cup group stages)? Unbelievably, we're 35 minutes from a USA-Mexico matchup in the quarter-finals.... Mexico is playing like freakin' ass in this tournament.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #1271
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Oh, Lord, that's hilarious. My favorites...

21) And as for those players you've never heard of, well, best check their stats on Football Manager. That'll work.

Gawd, this is so true.

37) Newcastle sign 15 players. Only one of them is a defender.

Digs at the Magpies. On the mark.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #1272
daedalus
Pro Rookie

'Boro making some nice moves, I think. Tuncay supposedly can play on both wings or up front which could make him a nice complement to Downing. I still think Aliadiere (AKA Aliathingy to various Arse supporters who cannot spell his name) can turn out a solid player. Especially if he has the correct partner (Viduka would have been ideal, had he stayed). Hopefully, Yakubu is that guy and stays around to show it.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #1273
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
'Boro making some nice moves, I think. Tuncay supposedly can play on both wings or up front which could make him a nice complement to Downing. I still think Aliadiere (AKA Aliathingy to various Arse supporters who cannot spell his name) can turn out a solid player. Especially if he has the correct partner (Viduka would have been ideal, had he stayed). Hopefully, Yakubu is that guy and stays around to show it.

dead, I am a fan of both moves, too, particularly Tuncay. With Downing and Morrison at M'brough, I think Tuncay is more likely headed as a quick up front or a forward playmaker. Both players will add some more pace to our front attack.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 AM   #1274
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Even better! The only thing I'd be curious about how well Aliadiere fit in is his tendency to drift left (like Henry) and how well he gels with Downing.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #1275
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even better! The only thing I'd be curious about how well Aliadiere fit in is his tendency to drift left (like Henry) and how well he gels with Downing.

Well, Downing is a wing who tends to move into a more aggressive approach. He doesn't hug the line when he's in the forward half, sending cross after cross in. He's more of a creator with skills in all offensive assets. So if Aliadiere drifts left, he's likely to run into Downing.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:07 AM   #1276
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, Downing is a wing who tends to move into a more aggressive approach. He doesn't hug the line when he's in the forward half, sending cross after cross in. He's more of a creator with skills in all offensive assets. So if Aliadiere drifts left, he's likely to run into Downing.

Wow Never heard Downing described liked that - mostly it's just 'he's crap'
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #1277
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Wow Never heard Downing described liked that - mostly it's just 'he's crap'

Well, that's because most of the people describing him are disappointed England national fans.

As a Premiership player, he's very good. Just don't expect him to be England's long awaited answer on the left.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #1278
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What a finish to La Liga. I have to check the GolTV when I get home tonight, I want to see if Ray Hudson exploded.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #1279
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
What a finish to La Liga. I have to check the GolTV when I get home tonight, I want to see if Ray Hudson exploded.

He didn't explode, but he did talk even more crap than normal. Stuff about tennis players, stupid hollywood actors, matadors in high heels and pink tutus, and pineapple chunks. And Gladiators.

Great finish though.

Last edited by Critch : 06-17-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #1280
MJ4H
Coordinator

I was laughing my ass of at Ray Hudson. The guy absolutely cracks me up. It was hilarious when the other guy mentioned Tom Cruise and he blew up STOP TALKING ABOUT TENNIS PLAYERS AND HOLLYWOOD NOBODIES and proceeded to talk about getting the last 6 results tattooed across some player's chest???

Hilarious.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #1281
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I was laughing my ass of at Ray Hudson. The guy absolutely cracks me up. It was hilarious when the other guy mentioned Tom Cruise and he blew up STOP TALKING ABOUT TENNIS PLAYERS AND HOLLYWOOD NOBODIES and proceeded to talk about getting the last 6 results tattooed across some player's chest???

Hilarious.

He seemed genuinley angry at that point too. I love Ray Hudson.

Great game, and a dramatic end to what's been a very dramatic season. Great stuff, and I'm happy Beckham leaves there with a title.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #1282
Icy
Pro Starter

Great end of "La Liga", Real Madrid pulled the necesary win at the end of the game that they started loosing.

It's a big party in Madrid right now, the "Cibeles" fountain is full of fans celebrating it, and soon the players will join the fans in the fountain to keep the party (It's a tradition, everytime R.Madrid wins a title, everybody goes to that fountain).

Pic of the fountain this afternoon before the celebration, the police is there already to prevent any problem and the city workers have been getting it all ready to avoid both the fans and the fountain to be damaged because the celebration.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #1283
Critch
lolzcat

As Ray Hudson said "There will be a lot of luvin' in the bedrooms of Madrid tonight".
Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #1284
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Not all good news for Madrilenos, as Atletico miss out on the UEFA Cup. I wonder if this means Torres really plans to stick around.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #1285
PraetorianX
High School JV

I'm surprised RM managed to win it, but with all their talent they're bound to get lucky eventually.

How scary would Real be if the people in charge actually had a clue though? They're still a big team with a ton of talent despite being run by the biggest bunch of idiots this side of Newcastle.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #1286
Butter
Coordinator

Where the fuck is Guadaloupe?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #1287
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Where the fuck is Guadaloupe?

in the lesser antilles in the Carribean
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #1288
Butter
Coordinator

That clears it right up.

Better question I guess is, is CONCACAF that weak that Guadaloupe gets in the Semis? Or are they actually decent?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #1289
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
That clears it right up.

Better question I guess is, is CONCACAF that weak that Guadaloupe gets in the Semis? Or are they actually decent?

Their squad is certainly stronger than *most* of the other teams, since basically the entire team plays in Europe, mostly France. They're techincally part of France, so i'd imagine most of these guys weren't even born in Guadeloupe, but instead have parents or something who came from there.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #1290
AlexB
Pro Starter

MIJB - do you know anything about Sergio Hellings?

Sounds like he was a promising teenager, but never progressed, or is he still a good prospect?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #1291
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Their squad is certainly stronger than *most* of the other teams, since basically the entire team plays in Europe, mostly France. They're techincally part of France, so i'd imagine most of these guys weren't even born in Guadeloupe, but instead have parents or something who came from there.

One of their better players, 41 year old Jocelyn Angloma, was born in Guadeloupe, but played internationally for France in Euro '92 and '96. I'm not sure how FIFA looks upon these things, but I always thought that once you chose your footballing nation and played for them at any level about U-21 that you were locked in. But apparently not.

Edit: Wikipedia states that Guadeloupe are not part of FIFA and only play in regional competitions so they aren't subject to this particular rule. Still really strange though.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 06-19-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #1292
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
One of their better players, 41 year old Jocelyn Angloma, was born in Guadeloupe, but played internationally for France in Euro '92 and '96. I'm not sure how FIFA looks upon these things, but I always thought that once you chose your footballing nation and played for them at any level about U-21 that you were locked in. But apparently not.

I think it's pretty simple in this case - Guadeloupe is not a recognized FIFA member.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #1293
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The way it works with Angloma is that he has regained amateur status somehow or another, and in combination with Guadeloupe's unusual status (not even unique with CONCACAF, but rare in world soccer), this allows him to play for them despite prior appearance for France.

I'm not sure how it would work the other way around.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #1294
MIJB#19
Coordinator

CT called it, Guadeloupe is no FIFA member. The normal nationality chosen limitations don't apply, meaning they can basically field anyone they want to as long as CONCACAF is okay with it. They flew in a whole lot of French pro's with roots on Guadeloupe, two of them play for FC Utrecht (Franck Grandel and Loic Loval).

Quote:
Not much, really. Raised in the Ajax youth academy, fled to Belgium over lack of chances to break into the first team. Failed to establish himself with Anderlecht (to date 0 league appearances) and fled back to the Netherlands (homesick, I think). I think he was a starter for Heracles Almelo when they promoted in 2005, but was a backup for them in the Eredivisie in 2005/2006. Last season he once again returned to the Netherlands on loan (for the 3rd year in a row) for eerste divisie (2nd level) AGOVV Apeldoorn. Where he seems to not have been a fregular starter in the last weeks of the season. I really have no idea what kind of player it is. From the looks of it, he's an upcoming right back, or a dutch style right midfielder (not a winger, but not a central midfielder either).
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #1295
AlexB
Pro Starter

Thanks for the info. Fair to say a slightly different picture than the press release Leicester City released!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #1296
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:

Sounds like he was a promising teenager, but never progressed, or is he still a good prospect?

I remember taking a look at him in my FC Groningen career in FM2006. He had some decent attributes, but he averaged about a 5.50. That doesn't sound too far off of MIJB's scouting report
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #1297
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Just have to think Jari, if he is decent why are you signing him?
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #1298
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I remember taking a look at him in my FC Groningen career in FM2006. He had some decent attributes, but he averaged about a 5.50. That doesn't sound too far off of MIJB's scouting report

well if its in FM, its gots to be true. most i know about soccer and the players ive learned from FM (no im not joking)
Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #1299
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
How scary would Real be if the people in charge actually had a clue though? They're still a big team with a ton of talent despite being run by the biggest bunch of idiots this side of Newcastle.

Looks like Real Madrid may be run by a bigger bunch of idiots than even the guys who used to run Newcastle. They've apparently fired Capello despite him winning the league at the weekend.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:25 AM   #1300
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Looks like Real Madrid may be run by a bigger bunch of idiots than even the guys who used to run Newcastle. They've apparently fired Capello despite him winning the league at the weekend.

"Welcome to Hollywood, well to Madrid instead"
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote