Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #1251
TreeInNewEngland
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
There's a tree in Massachusetts that might disagree with you.

Tell me about it. I still have scars...
TreeInNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #1252
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
There's a tree in Massachusetts that might disagree with you.

Must have missed that...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #1253
bbor
Pro Starter

I need to see a game 7 in this series.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #1254
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I need to see a game 7 in this series.

Why not? Who doesn't want hockey played on June 19th?

Seriously though, the season should be over before June.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #1255
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Holy shit...

Eric Cole is going to play tonight?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #1256
General Mike
Pro Starter

Go Canes! Viva Eric Cole.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #1257
GMO
Mascot

So far 2-0 Edmonton, 2nd period.
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #1258
st.cronin
General Manager

If there are any die-hard Hurricane fans, they've got to be going crazy right now.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:51 PM   #1259
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

We're around, but I stopped after that fourth goal. It's become rather clear who is the better team. Anyone care to doubt my doomsaying at this point?

The move to bring Cole back reeked of desperation, IMO. It said, "We don't have enough faith in our current players, so we're bringing back a guy coming off a severe neck injury in game six on the road to try to give us an edge." It backfired badly, particularly on that PP where Cole struggled mightily and ultimately allowed the puck to escape to set up the breakaway that lead to the penalty on Whitney.

I do not expect them to win on Monday. Edmonton is clearly manhandling them as they please at this point and it will be no different on Monday. Carolina is fading and Edmonton is getting stronger. Game seven will just be more of the same.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #1260
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah OILERS!! Game 7 baby!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #1261
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
We're around, but I stopped after that fourth goal. It's become rather clear who is the better team. Anyone care to doubt my doomsaying at this point?

The move to bring Cole back reeked of desperation, IMO. It said, "We don't have enough faith in our current players, so we're bringing back a guy coming off a severe neck injury in game six on the road to try to give us an edge." It backfired badly, particularly on that PP where Cole struggled mightily and ultimately allowed the puck to escape to set up the breakaway that lead to the penalty on Whitney.

I do not expect them to win on Monday. Edmonton is clearly manhandling them as they please at this point and it will be no different on Monday. Carolina is fading and Edmonton is getting stronger. Game seven will just be more of the same.

If Weight could have played I don't think Laviolette would have brought Cole back, but he couldn't. I think bringing Cole in instead of some 4th line guy was the smart decision.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 06-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #1262
st.cronin
General Manager

That was one of the most thorough ass-kickings I've seen in the playoffs, ever. Did the Hurricanes even get double digit shots on goal?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #1263
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina did hang tough through the first period and Edmonton blocked a ton of shots that never make the scoresheet as a shot on goal, but once Wesley deflected in the first goal, it just seemed to deflate them. If it wasn't for Ward making a heroic stand in goal, this would have been so much worse (that three-on-one robbery was astounding and hellaciously lucky because the Oiler player had the entire net to choose from and he wound up putting it right into Cam's glove, basically).

It's readily obvious that Carolina cannot outhit Edmonton, so they have to outskate them, but at this point, they are so worn down, they can't beat Edmonton to the puck or any other place on the ice.

I still can't believe the punditry thought the series was over after game four. If you examined the series to that point, you'd recognize Carolina only dominated the last half of game one and all of game two. The rest of the time, they were hanging on by their fingernails. They got some good passing to set up both goals in game four, which, if they hadn't gone in, would have meant that Edmonton would be hoisting the Cup tonight. That 3-1 series lead was very deceptive.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #1264
henry296
College Starter

Nothing better in sports than Game 7. Looking forward to Monday night except for the fact that I have a 6:45 AM flight.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #1265
bbor
Pro Starter

Yay game 7

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #1266
SackAttack
Head Coach

Has an 8 seed ever won the Cup?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #1267
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woo! I can't wait for Monday. Hope I don't have to work too late

SI

Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 AM   #1268
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Has an 8 seed ever won the Cup?

This is the first time an 8 seed has made the finals. Been odd how many Stanley Cup Final firsts there have been this year that don't seem all that "out there" (Pronger scoring the first ever penalty shot goal in the finals, Pisani getting the first OT shorthanded goal, Edmonton being the first 8 seed to make the finals).

As for game 7, it's still on Jussi's shoulders. He's played well so far, and I hope he carries it through one more game. Carolina will be much more effective next game, especially I would assume on the PP, so again, the Oilers have to play smart, stay out of the box and make it a 5 on 5 game as that's their best chance to win. Start trying to trade PP goals and all the momentum they've gained in the last couple games won't mean a thing.

Should be a helluva game, and I hope by now that even the most doubting give the Oilers their due no matter how the final game ends up.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:23 AM   #1269
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Pulling for Carolina because I want to see a couple ex-Flyers win the Cup but I wouldn't mind either way as I have to give the Oilers' fans their due. Those fans are putting on a demonstration of what being a fan is about. I don't think I've heard a place as loud as that, even game 4 when they were losing by a goal it seemed so loud that you would have thought they were winning.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #1270
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, I'm completely witched around things. Render was right. The Western Conference just can't compete.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #1271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
This is the first time an 8 seed has made the finals. Been odd how many Stanley Cup Final firsts there have been this year that don't seem all that "out there" (Pronger scoring the first ever penalty shot goal in the finals, Pisani getting the first OT shorthanded goal, Edmonton being the first 8 seed to make the finals).

As for game 7, it's still on Jussi's shoulders. He's played well so far, and I hope he carries it through one more game. Carolina will be much more effective next game, especially I would assume on the PP, so again, the Oilers have to play smart, stay out of the box and make it a 5 on 5 game as that's their best chance to win. Start trying to trade PP goals and all the momentum they've gained in the last couple games won't mean a thing.

Should be a helluva game, and I hope by now that even the most doubting give the Oilers their due no matter how the final game ends up.

While goaltending is always important, I reckon the Oilers could have won last night with any of us in goal. That game was pure domination. It reminded me of a playoff game a few years back between New Jersey and Tronto. I think it was a Game 6 or something, but Toronto only managed 6 shots on goal in the game. If you're getting 10 or less shots on goal during a game, odds are you're doing very little right.

The Hurricanes took a number of retailitory type penalties last night. They kept getting their hands and sticks up when an Oiler player came in to make a hit. It's pretty obvious the hits are taking their toll and after Torres destroyed Weight and Ward, the Oilers physical play is firmly implanted in their psyches. They are getting worn down and worn out.

Any lift the Hurricanes could have gotten from Erik Cole's return was eliminated in his first or second shift. He got hammered along the boards by Moreau and then looked very rusty on fanning on a good shot from the slot. It's good to see him playing, but it was a very desperate move.

I think things are dead even heading into Carolina. Edmonton have all the momentum, but Carolina will be playing at home and for the first time in a few games are playing a "must win" game. They should be playing with a whole new level of intensity. They had better. Given where the Oilers were after Games 2 and 4, they have to incredibly happy to be going back to Raleigh and making this a one game series.

Should be a hell of a game. I picked Edmonton to win it before the series began and am sticking with that prediction.

And, yes, I think it's quite obvious that the Western Conference can't compete at all with the East. They certainly aren't nowhere as physical. (<-- sarcasm).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #1272
Karim
College Starter

Carolina wins. It says so right here:

"HISTORICAL VICTORY PROBABILITIES: Tied WWLWLL @ HHVVHV:
Considering win order; considering site order: The team winning Games 1-2, losing Game 3, winning Game 4, and losing Games 5-6 with Games 1-2 at home, Games 3-4 on the road, Game 5 at home, and Game 6 on the road (Carolina) has the following best-of-7 playoff Game 7 record through the 2006 NHL and NBA Semifinals:
Game 7 record, all best-of-7 sports, all rounds: 7-3 (.700)
Game 7 record, all best-of-7 sports, Finals round: 1-0 (1.000)
Game 7 record, NHL only, all rounds: 2-2 (.500)
Game 7 record, NHL only, Finals round: 1-0 (.500)
These records are drawn from the applicable 984 best-of-7 NHL, NBA, and MLB series played through the 2006 NBA and NHL Semifinals. Note in general that the greater the number of games or series fitting a particular situation, the greater the significance of the corresponding winning fraction: For example, 0.800 is far more likely to come closer to the true winning fraction in a given situation when the corresponding win-loss record is 400-100 rather than 4-1."
Old 06-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #1273
Karim
College Starter

dola,

That 1-0 NHL finals record was when the Rangers beat the Canucks in 7 after going up 3-1 in the series. Carolina can easily win this thing as it's basically a pick'em.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #1274
bbor
Pro Starter

Well...now that i asked for a game 7,and it happened...now i must do this.

I need overtime in game 7!

Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #1275
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Well...now that i asked for a game 7,and it happened...now i must do this.

I need overtime in game 7!

When this thing started I told my buddies that I didn't care who won, just that it go to a 7th game in triple-OT. Only 6 more periods to go!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #1276
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would kill for that

SI

Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #1277
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That'd be great... except when it ends on an OT goal scored 5-on-3 thanks to a puck over the glass delay of game penalty.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #1278
Travis
Pro Rookie

The three things I hope they really look at after this season is the puck over the glass, how many penalties are drawn by offensive players holding defenders sticks to simulate hooks and the whole theory that if a goalies entire glove is over the goal line, and the puck is in the glove, that the puck is in the net.

As for game seven, no OT. I'm not sure my nerves can take that at this point.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #1279
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The three things I hope they really look at after this season is the puck over the glass, how many penalties are drawn by offensive players holding defenders sticks to simulate hooks and the whole theory that if a goalies entire glove is over the goal line, and the puck is in the glove, that the puck is in the net.

As for game seven, no OT. I'm not sure my nerves can take that at this point.

I'll stand in agreement, which of course will mean it'll be triple-OT and be settled on a cheap turnover because everyone's beginning to fall asleep at that point.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #1280
Karim
College Starter

I heard Bettman is considering instituting a delay-of-game penalty for the goalie freezing the puck with his glove. He even said so on HNIC. He also likes the puck over the glass penalty.

Doesn't the rules committee now determine rule changes or does the Commish have some sort of veto?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #1281
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I heard Bettman is considering instituting a delay-of-game penalty for the goalie freezing the puck with his glove. He even said so on HNIC. He also likes the puck over the glass penalty.
I thought he said that he wanted to expand the "no line change" rule to include goalies freezing the puck, but not to hand out a penalty. Actually, I think there is a delay of game rule for goalies that go out of their way to freeze the puck (i.e. dive into the corner after it, etc.) It's almost never called, because goalies know not to do it and can actually control that, unlike somebody accidentally slapping a puck an inch over the glass.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #1282
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Keep the delay of game for over the glass (the point behind it and the no line change after icing is to not allow the defense an easy out when they get beat). Start calling cross-checking instead of goalie interference when a defender shoves a skater into the goalie (getting sick of seeing that one). Institute post-game reviews for diving that'll let you suspend a player for a game (so when, say, a player gets high-sticked, then shoves his stick into the chest of another player, and that player grabs his face even though the stick stayed well away from his face, you can do something to the actor grabbing his face).
Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #1283
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'd call the puck over the glass the same way they call icing -- no line change, but no penalty. It just doesn't make sense that if I shoot a puck over the glass I go to the penalty box, but if I shoot it down the ice I don't. It's the exact same play.

As for players going into the crease, agree with calling a penalty on the defence. But I'd also like to see a reminder that players have to try to avoid the goalie whenever they can, even if they're pushed. Too many guys have mastered the art of skating hard at the net, being brushed against by a defenceman, and then plowing into the goalie at full speed. "But I was pushed!"
Old 06-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #1284
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Oh, and for the love of god, stop calling coincidental minors on dives. I can understand that sometimes one guy can commit a penalty and the other guy can dive and you need to call both. But every time? Was there a single powerplay due to a diving penalty all year? Or did they always take the easy way out and nail both guys?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #1285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Start calling cross-checking instead of goalie interference when a defender shoves a skater into the goalie (getting sick of seeing that one).

Agreed on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis
how many penalties are drawn by offensive players holding defenders sticks to simulate hooks

The holding of sticks is probably the one thing I'd like to see cracked down on the most. At least at the minor league level (which I saw a lot more of in person this year & could watch away from the puck a lot more), it's an epidemic that borders on the absurd at times.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #1286
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I thought he said that he wanted to expand the "no line change" rule to include goalies freezing the puck, but not to hand out a penalty.

You're probably right. I just know steam was coming out of my ears when I heard it.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #1287
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

wow, I didn't know that about the 8 seeds (well, all of them, actually, but still).

Looking forward to the game. Fun to watch when I don't really have a preference about who wins. I think I lean a little bit towards pulling for the Oilers, but I really think MacTavish is a dick and I don't want to hear about Carolina choking all summer. Then again, I don't really want to see a team from the south be the champs for 3 years running. And, since Carolina really should still be the Whalers, I shift back to Edmonton. I mean, after all, it's been 13 years since a Canadian team won (and that was all McSorley's fault anyway)...but then what is the Canadian media going to be like if the Oilers win.

any chance this could end up in a draw?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #1288
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

MacT better have some sort of magic speech prepared for intermission or Edmonton is D-U-N done.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #1289
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
MacT better have some sort of magic speech prepared for intermission or Edmonton is D-U-N done.

Carolina has shown they are capable of giving Edmonton life back. But not if Carolina keeps skating and hitting like they are. Nice to see them giving some of it back to Edmonton.

And I appreciate the officials taking the time to make that call at the end of period 1. People will still debate and fight over it I'm sure (less so if Carolina wins the game), but as a Carolina fan I'm happy that they took the time to examine all the evidence before coming up with a ruling.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #1290
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The more of this series I watch the more it amazes me how well Edmonton has done with the collection of clowns they have on defence. After Pronger they have absolutely no one that should be getting time on the first or second d-line of a playoff team.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #1291
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

DEE-FENSE
Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #1292
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pronger hits the net about 5% of the time.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #1293
Galaxy
Coordinator

Damn....I feel bad for the Oiler fans.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-19-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #1294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Woooooooooo !
Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #1295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

... Away, away, away down south in Dixie
Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #1296
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you hockey for a wonderful season...3 months till training camp
Old 06-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #1297
General Mike
Pro Starter

6 days til the Draft, whoooooooooooo!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #1298
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Is it too much to ask for someone to deck Pierre during an interview?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #1299
Logan
Head Coach

And Ray Whitney drops an f-bomb!

EDIT: If I were to ever curse on national TV, I would be sure to say something cooler than "fuckin radical."

Last edited by Logan : 06-19-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #1300
Galaxy
Coordinator

FCC is raiding the arena and arresting Whitney...
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote