Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #1251
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Ratatouille 7.5/10 - Probably my least favorite of the Pixar movies and seemed to be the most kid orientated of the Pixar movies to date (for me at least). Not that I didn't like it but, with past movies, Pixar has set the bar pretty high and this one was more 'cute' than laugh out loud funny.

That's odd, because I thought it was the most adult oriented of the Pixar movies and loved every moment of it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #1252
korme
Go Reds

The Believer (2001) - Gosling before he was anybody, before The Notebook found him fame. Before I watched it I listened to Ebert's review who compared him to De Niro's Travis Bickle. That's some pretty high regard. This was a very powerful, gripping movie. If you don't know, Gosling plays a Neo-Nazi who is in fact Jewish. I loved the inner conflict of Gosling's character. Also, he's so articulate and charismatic that you almost forget you aren't supposed to like him. Pretty interesting. 8.5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #1253
korme
Go Reds

Sweeney Todd (2007) - I am not a fan of musicals. They are ok, but I struggle to keep full attention with all of the singing. In fact, I found myself just watchin helena's boobs when she was singing. Hey, she did say they flucuated in size throughout the movie (she was preggo for part of filming). I guess there just isn't much character development or a very deep plot and that turns me off. Still, it was a good movie, much more so in the second half. Well done job in the makeup department and it was a well put together movie. Burton does seem to have this niche locked down, but I have not been thrilled with his most recent movies, so why was I so excited to see this? 6/10
Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #1254
Lorena
Unregistered

Donnie Darko - 9.2/10

Funny, freaky, and some parts had me riveted. The smurfs conversation was ridiculous and I'll for sure be using "suck a fuck" thanks to this movie
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #1255
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Donnie Darko - 9.2/10

Funny, freaky, and some parts had me riveted. The smurfs conversation was ridiculous and I'll for sure be using "suck a fuck" thanks to this movie

My pick for favourite movie of all time would probably change each time I'm asked, but Donnie would certainly feature up near the top each time.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #1256
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Superbad (2007) A hillarious movie. I loved it. I will buy the DVD at some point soon. It meandered a bit in the second act, but I really liked it overall. 8/10
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #1257
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I don't watch movies much anymore, always waiting for some of the popular ones to come out on DVDs. I watched 3 popular ones that we got for Christmas:

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: Pirates 1 is one of my very favorite movies while I thought Pirates 2 was one of those movies that you could watch over and over. Pirates 3 certainly had the look of a very expensive movie - top notch sets designs, costumes, artistic details and of course, effects. Too bad the story was a convoluted mess that was hard to follow. But this was expected since the trend is always to try to be more of everything in sequels. 6.5/10

Ocean's 13: Ocean's 11 is also in my top 10 list and while Ocean's 12 was interesting and clever once I figured it all out, it was needlessly convoluted (there's that word again). I knew that they wanted to do Ocean's 13 straight but with more style and I think they definitely succeeded. It was quite well done, I was impressed after watching it. Al Pacino had a bigger part than I expected and you know I love watching him. 8.5/10

Night at the Musuem: I have put Ben Stiller on my 3 least favorite actors list but wanted to watch this to see "history come alive", as well as Robin Williams and Dick Van Dyke. I guess the other attraction was that I liked Jumanji. I thought this movie was a simple, fun movie but life would be better if I never see Stiller again. Give me some gum-gum, dum-dum. 6/10

My son got Ratatouille and will watch that soon.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #1258
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Now I already own Hotel Rwanda, Raging Bull, Midnight Cowboy and Annie Hall. Also I've already seen Rocky, Goldeneye and 12 Angry Men. Any of these movies besides TGTBTU that I need to see immediately?

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It might be the best western to date.

Also, A Bridge Too Far is an awesome "older" war movie.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #1259
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can't believe I forgot the other popular one:

Harry Potter and the OotP: Saw this in the theatre, which was not my choice since I have a hard time understanding everything being said. Knew I would like it better seeing the DVD and I did. My original review (in the OotP thread) still stands - I am in the minority in believing that Stanton did not nail Umbridge (too prim and proper and forced cruelty). I also did not like how they changed some of the scenes (like after the DA got caught). The best thing I can say about this movie that it was clearly better than the GoF mess. 6/10
Old 01-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #1260
Buccaneer
Head Coach

One more that I watched earlier last month for the first time:

Walk the Line: I am a fan of Cash and thought Phoenix's and Witherspoon's performance were awesome. Parts of the movie was a little hard to watch and some parts of it got boring and dragged a little. I came away not wanting to see it again but definitely would not forget those two performances. 7/10
Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #1261
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Into The Wild (2007), 8/10

I just saw this one in the theatre. The main character Christopher graduates from Emory Univ. in 1990, sells all of his belonging and gives away his 24K savings. Then he treks across America bent on going to Alaska. He thinks careers are a 20th century invention and doesn't want one.

It is based on a true story and feels very real. I thought it would be some crappy feel good story. But I didn't walk away feeling that. It was pretty powerful.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #1262
MikeVic
Head Coach

Saw AVP:R and Juno over the last few days... AVP:R was ehh. I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't disappointed. But there wasn't much great here. It just kind of existed. Some OK action, but it was really hard to see the Aliens and PredAlien. I really don't like the way action scenes are shot in a lot of movies. There were a couple of funny scenes too. I'd probably say 6.5/10.

As for Juno, I liked that movie a lot. Ellen Page is cute and I like Michael Sera. I'm a sucker for movies like this that have good comedy and some sappy stuff thrown in. I'd give it something like a 9/10. The White Stripes being mentioned was cool too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #1263
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story-7/10

Fun times! If you're at all a music fan, you should check it out. My favorite parts from the movie: "The wrong kid died!", Jack White as Elvis (esp. the part with the knife at the end), and when he ripped off Bob Dylan.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #1264
rowech
Pro Starter

National Treasure 2 -- Much better than I was thinking it would be. I was pleasantly surprised. Takes a bit longer to start going but once it starts clicking, it feels like the original again. If you liked the first one, I would guess you'll like this one. Not quite at the same level but good. 7.5 or 8.0/10
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #1265
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just watched the extras DVD on OotP and all I can say is that I want to marry Nat Tena (Tonks).
Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #1266
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
National Treasure 2 -- Much better than I was thinking it would be. I was pleasantly surprised. Takes a bit longer to start going but once it starts clicking, it feels like the original again. If you liked the first one, I would guess you'll like this one. Not quite at the same level but good. 7.5 or 8.0/10

+1
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #1267
path12
Coordinator

I'm Not There -- I didn't realize going in that it would be so allegorical and also so non-linear, so that took me by surprise. Thought it was about 20 minutes too long, but just fascinating in spots. Cate Blanchett was really good, as was the young boy (can't remember his name). My main thought while watching was that I really need to read a Dylan biography sometime.

7/10.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #1268
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Pirates of the Caribbean 3:

Saw this as well a couple of weeks ago on DVD. Good fun, but wouldn't watch it again. The movie seemed mostly to exist as filler between spaces where either Depp or Rush (or both) hammed it up. The first is still the best, in my opinion.

Quote:
Ocean's 13:

Saw this too a while ago. I'll echo Bucc's comments. It has a bunch of funny and clever setpieces which I can watch over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
As for Juno, I liked that movie a lot.

Same. The wife & I saw this in the theater last week. One of the better movies I've seen in years. I know everyone's raving about Ellen Page (and deservedly so) and certainly the addition of Janney & Simmons is really good for the movie, but for my money the best performance is actually Jennifer Garner's. The amount of brittle pathos she puts into her character, and the nuances performance she displays (alternating between scared, desperate, hopeful, happy and angry) is pretty well done.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #1269
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'm Not There -- I didn't realize going in that it would be so allegorical and also so non-linear, so that took me by surprise. Thought it was about 20 minutes too long, but just fascinating in spots. Cate Blanchett was really good, as was the young boy (can't remember his name). My main thought while watching was that I really need to read a Dylan biography sometime.

7/10.

Thanks for the thoughts on this movie. I need to check it out.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #1270
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Same. The wife & I saw this in the theater last week. One of the better movies I've seen in years. I know everyone's raving about Ellen Page (and deservedly so) and certainly the addition of Janney & Simmons is really good for the movie, but for my money the best performance is actually Jennifer Garner's. The amount of brittle pathos she puts into her character, and the nuances performance she displays (alternating between scared, desperate, hopeful, happy and angry) is pretty well done.

I think every character was likable. I didn't hate even one character in the whole movie. I can talk a lot about what I liked about the movie, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #1271
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

No Country For Old Men - 9.5/10
This movie was the best in 2007 hands down. Also has some of the best gore scenes every. The bad guy is down right scary and the ending is great.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #1272
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
No Country For Old Men - 9.5/10
This movie was the best in 2007 hands down. Also has some of the best gore scenes every. The bad guy is down right scary and the ending is great.

Why do you think this? Not looking for an opinion to break down, I just honestly want to know what you felt you got from the ending. I have already posted about this movie, that there was a ton I liked about it, but left quite a bit too much for the audience to figure out (from the movie theme/point perspective, I mean). I know this critique has been brought up by plenty of others in the media.

Feel free to answer is spoiler format, of course.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #1273
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I am Legend 7/10

Lathum, curious as to why you think it is so great. The first 2/3 of the flick were very good, but the last 20 minutes or so seemed rushed. The ending was very abrubt. It was entertaining for sure, and i would tell people to see it, but it aint even close to the best thing I've seen this year.

Agree 100%. First 2/3rds I'd give a 9.5/10, but after the super-rushed ending it rates about a 7. They clearly cut a LOT out of that last 3rd of the movie, probably hoping to package it as a nice 90m action movie.

Spoiler
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #1274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Eight Below- A decent movie that was predictable at points. There were many sad parts and my wife was crying a good portion of it ( we are both dog lovers, do the math). The movie dragged in a few pars and could have been shorter but all in all woth watching it. 7/10
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #1275
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Why do you think this? Not looking for an opinion to break down, I just honestly want to know what you felt you got from the ending. I have already posted about this movie, that there was a ton I liked about it, but left quite a bit too much for the audience to figure out (from the movie theme/point perspective, I mean). I know this critique has been brought up by plenty of others in the media.

Feel free to answer is spoiler format, of course.

Here you go...

Spoiler

Last edited by Noop : 01-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #1276
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I Am Legend - This was a a pretty good movie. Some scenes where very said and you could feel his pain. I thought Will Smith did a good job I don't know about the awards but he should win something for that role or atleast a nomination. 7.5/10
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #1277
korme
Go Reds

The part with the gas station guy might have been my favorite scene of the movie, despite that people have criticized it
Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #1278
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Here you go...

Spoiler

Cool, TETO.

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #1279
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The part with the gas station guy might have been my favorite scene of the movie, despite that people have criticized it

Yeah, forgot to mention that. It was also one of my favorite scenes, very intriguing intense moment. This movie had tons of great "scenes", but I feel fell short in the "big picture" sense with me.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #1280
Johnny93g
College Starter

There Will be Blood 9.5/10

I don't like to give 10/10, but this movie was close. The best movie of 2007. Fantastic. Daniel Day-Lewis is scary good. The oscar should already be in his basement. It's a 150 minute dialouge movie. If you don't like this kind of movie, don't see it. The Cinematography and the Score are sensational.

The story focus' on Daneil Plainview(DDL), an oil man on the west coast during the early 20th century. Daniel and his son dig for oil in a small town after coaxing from a Paul Sunday(Paul Dano). It is an epic story in every sense.

The opening scene is one of the best begginings to a movie I have ever seen. The first 5 minutes are worth the movie addmission, the rest is bonus!!

This is Lewis' 3rd movie in the last 10 years. Watching him act has gotten to be so rare, its a privledge. He is special. I was blown away.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 01-05-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #1281
korme
Go Reds

Damn Johnny, you inspired me to go see it.

I also wonder why DDL does so few movies.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #1282
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Clerks II 8.5/10

You have to be a fan of Kevin Smith movies to appreciate this. I love all of his movies except Jersey Girl (didn't see it) and Chasing Amy (chick flick). This one is much better IMO than Clerks.

Also saw Oceans 13 yesterday 8/10. Better than the second one but not as good as the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #1283
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Damn Johnny, you inspired me to go see it.

I also wonder why DDL does so few movies.

Because he's crazy and has to be "in character" for like years before the movie actually shoots.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #1284
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Clerks II 8.5/10

You have to be a fan of Kevin Smith movies to appreciate this. I love all of his movies except Jersey Girl (didn't see it) and Chasing Amy (chick flick). This one is much better IMO than Clerks.

Also saw Oceans 13 yesterday 8/10. Better than the second one but not as good as the first one.

Chasing Amy's very much worth watching.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #1285
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Done
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #1286
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The Great Debaters 8.5/10

Very emotional movie. I had water in my eyes during some scenes and felt alot of joy at the end. Denzel Washington is a great actor and a pretty good director.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #1287
Lorena
Unregistered

The Wire, Season 4 - 10/10

Holy shit, just when I thought the show couldn't get better, it does. This is my first 10 rating and it is well deserved! Lots of changes with characters, and the kids bring a whole different element to the season. It's so easy to get attached to these characters and I couldn't help but to feel sorry for most of them.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #1288
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Chasing Amy's very much worth watching.

+1 That might be my favorite movie of his.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #1289
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story-7/10

Fun times! If you're at all a music fan, you should check it out. My favorite parts from the movie: "The wrong kid died!", Jack White as Elvis (esp. the part with the knife at the end), and when he ripped off Bob Dylan.

Agree with ranking, but by far my favorite part was "Let's Duet." Worth going in and of itself.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #1290
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think I'm the only one but I think Mallrats is my favorite. There are just so many great lines in that one.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #1291
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Cool, TETO.

Spoiler

Just to settle this first, it's Chigurh.

Ok, I'm a huge Cormac McCarthy and therefore am biased about this movie. I thought it was excellent though, and was a pretty faithful adaptation with a few things changed.

Spoiler

Now what's scary is I hear that McCarthy's Blood Meridian is being adapted and directed by Ridley Scott. I have no idea how you put that one on the screen without butchering it, and I don't think Scott is the one to do it. Talk about a book 100x more brutal than this one.

As an aside. I saw Walk Hard this last weekend and was really disappointed. I had heard great things, and I'm a big John C. Reilly fan and expected some good mindless comedy and there were very few laughs, and no big ones. A couple of the songs were good, but overall it dragged quite a bit. Not good.

I can't wait to see There Will be Blood. It's not playing anywhere near me yet, but it sounds like it should be going into a much wider release in a couple weeks, and I'll be seeing it as soon as I can. I'm a big Daniel Day Lewis fan, and a big Paul Thomas Anderson fan, so I think this one is a can't miss.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #1292
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

The Golden Compass 5.5/10

Just got back from taking the kiddies to see this. No i did not read the book and other than the previews i had no idea what this was about. With all of that said i thought this one was a train wreck. There was obviously a lot of plot missing and the special effects were pretty bad. Some cool ideas and the world where everything takes place was interesting. Other than a part made for Nicole Kidman this one was a mess.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #1293
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

+2
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #1294
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I think I'm the only one but I think Mallrats is my favorite. There are just so many great lines in that one.

dola, for me KS movies rank like this:

1. Mallrats
2. Chasing Amy
3. everythingelse
Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #1295
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
dola, for me KS movies rank like this:

1. Mallrats
2. Chasing Amy
3. everythingelse

I agree.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #1296
MikeVic
Head Coach

No Country for Old Men: Not a bad movie or anything, but something just seemed off. The bad guy was crazy and I loved that, plus his weapon was cool. I don't want to go into spoilers, but the movie as a whole actually had be kind of bored in parts and I thought the very last scene was really flat. 7.5/10
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #1297
Flasch186
Coordinator

Lives of others

WOW, 9/10

This movie was so good that it took me by surprise. I had no idea what it was about except that which one could imagine from the title but it was spectacular. The characters were great, the cinematography truly captured the dank despair of East Berlin pre-wall fall, and the tension and character arcs were palpable. I HIGHLY recommend this movie to those who dont mind reading subtitles and to those who truly enjoy a slow plodder of a suspense story.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #1298
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wet Hot American Summer. The film has a very impressive cast. It's a spoof on all those teen/summer camp movies. The entire movie takes place over the course of one day, but it packs an entire summer worth of stuff in the day. It's one of the running gags. The movie certainly had some very funny moments, but it was really nothing more than a bunch of skits loosely tied together. The funniest, I thought, was the guy who plays Stadler on "Law & Order: SVU". He's hilarious as the slightly off kilter Viet Nam vet/camp cook. Overall, the movie just didn't hold my interest throughout. 6/10
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #1299
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Because he's crazy and has to be "in character" for like years before the movie actually shoots.

I was going to note that as well.

Can't wait to see There Will Be Blood, though. The previews look fantastic, especially Daniel Day-Lewis' character. He may be crazy, but there is a method to his madness.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #1300
Flasch186
Coordinator

Ocean's 13 6/10

typical faire. Comedic suspenseful (slightly) but not something to watch again. Did I mention how good The Lives of Others was?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote