Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2023, 09:08 AM   #1251
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's just the nature of it being a violent sport. Gets magnified more when you are talking about QBs just because of how important the position is, but other positions are getting injured even more frequently. Most NFL teams have several players on IR and multiple others injured bad enough they aren't going to play in the current week, plus several additional ones injured enough to limit their effectiveness but still playing.

I don't think there's any way to stop that aside from turning it into flag football. It's what football is.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:10 AM   #1252
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Once Fields loses to the Lions and then Vikings, that will be that...but they'll probably keep blaming the coaches. Bagent had solid numbers.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:12 AM   #1253
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's just the nature of it being a violent sport. Gets magnified more when you are talking about QBs just because of how important the position is, but other positions are getting injured even more frequently. Most NFL teams have several players on IR and multiple others injured bad enough they aren't going to play in the current week, plus several additional ones injured enough to limit their effectiveness but still playing.

I don't think there's any way to stop that aside from turning it into flag football. It's what football is.

That's what I keep wondering. This is the first year in a long time that I've actually watched games. Has the sport gotten more violent? Are players bigger? Stronger? More genetically enhanced? Better equipment? Are they more aggressive and actually TRYING to hurt people? Or is this always the case? Are more people getting injured than usual?
Old 11-15-2023, 09:20 AM   #1254
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watson to miss rest of season.

If only the Browns had a good backup like, say, The Passtronaut. Oh, wait...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #1255
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Old 11-15-2023, 09:34 AM   #1256
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Should have more massage therapy before it became an issue.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:20 AM   #1257
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Once Fields loses to the Lions and then Vikings, that will be that...but they'll probably keep blaming the coaches. Bagent had solid numbers.

You might be interested to check out The QB School reviews of Bagent and Fields on YouTube. What I was getting from an expert, former QB's review is that neither QB has been great but the scheme is a big headscratcher. So, yes, I'm still blaming the coaches.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:26 AM   #1258
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

They should just clone Josh Dobbs at this point-let them play on every team that needs an injury replacement.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:53 AM   #1259
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
They should just clone Josh Dobbs at this point-let them play on every team that needs an injury replacement.

playground "all time QB" for the one seventh grader playing with the elementary school kids... i like it
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:28 PM   #1260
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
asking for a friend: how much massage work is needed for recovering from a fractured shoulder?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:14 PM   #1261
Danny
Head Coach

Shoulder discomfort is relieved through the groin.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:41 PM   #1262
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
playground "all time QB" for the one seventh grader playing with the elementary school kids... i like it

Every so often I remember that me and my high school friends used to go down to the neighborhood elementary school and bully the kids into playing tackle football with us....I should put that on my LinkedIn
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:31 AM   #1263
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bills fired their offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, Luckily OJ simpson weighed in on the situation.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-16-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:17 AM   #1264
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Bills fired their offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, Luckily OJ simpson weighed in on the situation.
I bet he really killed it. He probably sliced right through and pierced the heart of the matter.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:23 AM   #1265
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Bills fired their offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey,

Wasn't Dorsey a media darling just last year? Every Bills game they put him on screen multiple times. But clearly this year, he refuses to tell Josh Allen to stop being careless so he has to go.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #1266
cuervo72
Head Coach

They had a close-up camera on him this game even!
Old 11-16-2023, 11:03 AM   #1267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dat boy no longer calling plays. This Carolina situation is a total mess.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:48 PM   #1268
GrantDawg

Ryan Tannehill has reportedly asked to be released by the Titans. I have a feeling he knows where the is a job open for him right now if he drives a few hours south..

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-16-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:23 PM   #1269
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Welp. That might be the season for the Bengals.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:34 PM   #1270
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

What is the injury? Like a nerve thing in his elbow?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:56 PM   #1271
GrantDawg

According at Twitter:
"Zac Taylor says that Joe Burrow's right thumb is an amputation candidate, per Charissa Thompson"

Old 11-16-2023, 09:28 PM   #1272
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Welp. That might be the season for the Bengals.

They were already done really.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:45 PM   #1273
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Frankly I'd be happy to have Ravens rep the division and eliminate PIT and CLE completely

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-16-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:29 AM   #1274
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
According at Twitter:
"Zac Taylor says that Joe Burrow's right thumb is an amputation candidate, per Charissa Thompson"

...this is a riff on Thompson's recent revelation that she basically fabricated coach comments in the past. It's a gag.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #1275
Atocep
Coordinator

It's awesome to see Dante Stills doing well in Arizona. He's undersized for a DT, but getting him in the 6th was a steal.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:45 AM   #1276
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Browns looking at Flacco.

I've always liked him as a person; seems like a really down to earth guy.

But, man, this is the sort of signing almost designed to reinforce to Cleveland fans that there is no actual hope for this offense going forward.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:46 AM   #1277
GrantDawg

Quicksand, I know. I thought it was hilarious.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #1278
molson
General Manager

Remember the days when a backup QB would come in, be awesome in a small sample size, then sign a big contract somewhere else the next year and suck?

It seems like we don't even have that first part anymore. The backup comes in, the team is immediately demoralized, and the backup looks like a converted safety or something they just had to throw in there on an emergency basis.

Last edited by molson : 11-17-2023 at 12:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #1279
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Scott Mitchell Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:00 PM   #1280
molson
General Manager

Matt Flynn is another one.

The guy made millions from one good garbage time game when the Packers were resting Favre.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:39 PM   #1281
Swaggs
Coordinator

I saw this on Twitter. Here is a list of the probable/possible starting QBs vs the Steelers in their next six games:

Dorian Thompson-Robinson (a)
Jake Browning (2x - a/h)
Kyler Murray (h)
Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe (h)
Gardner Minshew (a)

Steelers have a legit shot to get to 10 wins and still have a negative +/- (currently -26 and have only had like one win of more than one score in the last year).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:49 PM   #1282
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per ESPN, Burrow has a torn ligament in his wrist.

EDIT: It is supposed to be season ending.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-17-2023 at 01:51 PM.
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #1283
miami_fan
Coordinator

LINK: Bengals QB Joe Burrow out for season, likely needs surgery - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-17-2023, 02:26 PM   #1284
molson
General Manager

They're claiming it's not related to the sleeve thing he was wearing in the quickly-deleted pregame social media photo.

But it seems like they've been playing with fire with his injuries a few times this year. Though, when you're a contender and your QB backup is "Jake Browning", I guess you gotta play with fire.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:38 PM   #1285
GrantDawg

So it seems whatever Burrows gave up to the devil to make him Robo-QB in his senior year at LSU has finally come due.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:41 PM   #1286
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The devil has apparently entered the body of the OL coach...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:43 PM   #1287
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-17-2023, 06:09 PM   #1288
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I just don't get why teams don't prioritize the backup a little bit more. Jameis, Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, etc.

I understand the concept that without Burrow, the Bengals have no shot at a Super Bowl, so the question becomes why invest resources in a competent backup if it means that you are not a Super Bowl contender at the end of the day. But if the Bengals had signed Dalton instead of the Panthers - and assuming Dalton plays at a similar level to the way he did last year - they're still a playoff team. And dammit, I want Dalton to have one more chance to win that Saturday afternoon wild card game.

I think football could almost use a waiver trade deadline, similar to the old MLB style. In the current system, some teams have only played 7 games by the time the trade deadline rolls around. And with everyone seemingly at 3-4 or 4-3, it's a bit too early to sell off. But a later waiver trade deadline would allow teams to move those veteran quarterbacks for some return a bit later in the season.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:15 PM   #1289
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

All those Carson Wentz naysayers are eating crow now!

Come on, where are my Carson fanbois??
Old 11-17-2023, 06:17 PM   #1290
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Browns looking at Flacco.

I've always liked him as a person; seems like a really down to earth guy.

But, man, this is the sort of signing almost designed to reinforce to Cleveland fans that there is no actual hope for this offense going forward.

because in the end having a nice personality is the only thing that matters
Old 11-17-2023, 11:56 PM   #1291
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I just don't get why teams don't prioritize the backup a little bit more. Jameis, Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, etc.

I understand the concept that without Burrow, the Bengals have no shot at a Super Bowl, so the question becomes why invest resources in a competent backup if it means that you are not a Super Bowl contender at the end of the day. But if the Bengals had signed Dalton instead of the Panthers - and assuming Dalton plays at a similar level to the way he did last year - they're still a playoff team. And dammit, I want Dalton to have one more chance to win that Saturday afternoon wild card game.

I think football could almost use a waiver trade deadline, similar to the old MLB style. In the current system, some teams have only played 7 games by the time the trade deadline rolls around. And with everyone seemingly at 3-4 or 4-3, it's a bit too early to sell off. But a later waiver trade deadline would allow teams to move those veteran quarterbacks for some return a bit later in the season.

And there's been a bunch of backup QB who have won Super Bowls. 9 (I Googled it).

Nick Foles was the last one. He's never been a starter for a whole season but his cumulative stats are decent. And he gives a team that's already good a chance to win any game he's in.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:00 AM   #1292
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Joe Flacco was terrible for the Broncos and that was 4 years ago. He was so... low energy is probably the right term. He wasn't horrendous I guess. I remember a ton of sacks. That probably doesn't bode well for the 2023 Jets...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:49 AM   #1293
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And there's been a bunch of backup QB who have won Super Bowls. 9 (I Googled it).

Nick Foles was the last one. He's never been a starter for a whole season but his cumulative stats are decent. And he gives a team that's already good a chance to win any game he's in.

Foles was an amazing aberration. He just seemed to have success for Philadelphia and only as a backup.

I'm not saying he is like Tom Brady (he's far from that), but they both seemed to be the epitome of system quarterback.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:54 AM   #1294
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Jeff Hostetler did it the right way. Backed up Phil Simms for years and then won the Super Bowl as a starter while Simms was hurt. Battled with Simms for a few years while they were both injured often (post-Parcells) and then parlayed it into a big contract from the Raiders.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #1295
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Perhaps the biggest challenge is knowing the system. Is Josh Dobbs thriving because he's just very smart (Rocket Scientist literally)?

I think most backups are either potential developing or just have a good knowledge of multiple systems so they go with older ex-starters sometimes. They know all different packages of offensive plays even if their talent doesn't match a starter.

Brock Purdy would be potentially an outlier. Some QBs just learn faster and are more adaptable.

I mean the 49ers basically lost last year because they didn't have a healthly quarterback and the cost of having too many quarterbacks at the expense of a skill player could be impactful.

How much practice and optimized practice does a back-up get. How much does a backup of a backup get?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #1296
Swaggs
Coordinator

Free agency makes it hard and relatively useless to develop depth at QB. You used to be able to draft and hold guys for long enough to cultivate them, but now if they show any promise or have success when their number is called, they almost immediately move on to better opportunities. If you are close to winning, it makes more sense to have an already established veteran most of the time.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:10 AM   #1297
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Bengals' offense relies on Burrow being great. There isn't another QB that can run the offense at anywhere close to the level of Burrow, so Browning is probably roughly as capable of getting wins as Dalton or McCoy or whoever.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:20 AM   #1298
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree with you in theory but I will provide some pushback. I think Qwikshot is right about the practice time. Backups especially young backups just don't get the practice reps to justify the investment. But I think that is a symptom of the main issue. Having a quality backup is more of a headache than I think many realize.

Sure, if your starter goes down with a SEI, it is great to have a quality backup. But having a quality backup also means coaches have to deal with calls for QB changes quicker than they already are because everyone knows that there is a guy on the bench who could probably do as good of a job for less money. It wasn't that long ago that there was more than a rumble about Cooper Rush being a better fit for the Cowboys than Dak Prescott. Also, recent history tells us that NFL starting QBs are not the most secure group when they have a quality backup or even a potentially quality backup on the roster. To them, quality backups means their replacements are in the building. Any opportunity the backup gets to show what he can do is a opportunity for the starter to lose his job. No starter wants to be the next guy who lets the 199th overall pick get on the field and cause the starter to end up as a historical footnote.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:13 PM   #1299
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Fields tearing up the Lions D early
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:14 PM   #1300
Atocep
Coordinator

The Bears just benefited from it, but the NFL needs to stop throwing flags on non catchable passes. Balls 10 feet over a receivers head and out of bounds aren't catchable.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote