Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #1251
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I saw that Mike Williams TD catch for Seattle last night. Who the f*ck was that?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #1252
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I saw that Mike Williams TD catch for Seattle last night. Who the f*ck was that?

Titans fan here and I we have all been talking about that play more so becuz it was an obviously slimmed down Williams but also because of the blown tackle by Mouton for Ten. I think it was more crappy play by the defender than a great play by Williams. The guy Mouton was fighting for the second starting CB spot and he may have already played himself out of that battle with his terrible showing last night even though it is just the 1st preseason game.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #1253
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ahhh what a start.

Our crappy return team looked just as crappy with Ginn barely reaching the 15 yd line on the opening kick return.

Then Michael Robinson coughs up the ball on the first carry of the game. Thank you Glen Coffee for retiring...
Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #1254
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Ahhh what a start!!

Our coverage team made the opponent's return team look crappy with Ginn barely reaching the 15 yd line on the opening kick return.

Then we forced Michael Robinson to cough up the ball on the first carry of the game. Thank you Glen Coffee for retiring!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #1255
spleen1015
Coordinator

Don't worry. Curtis Painter is keeping you guys in the game.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #1256
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully the Colts end the Curtis Painter experiment. He is so bad that he actually pisses me off. He may be the one player in the NFL that I think to myself, "I couldn't possibly play worse than he is if I was out there."
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #1257
TroyF
Coordinator

Tim Tebow first series:

1) 5 yard dump off pass (designed play)
2) handoff - zero yards
3) 3rd and 5, good (not perfect, but good) pass to streaking WR down the sideline. Dropped. He led the WR a little too far to the sideline, but the WR simply dropped the ball. The WR has been solid so far in the game and camp by the way. Our UCLA fans should know him. Matt Willis. He has a very good shot at making the roster by the way.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #1258
TroyF
Coordinator

Couple of other quick notes from the game:

The Denver starters destroyed the Bengal starters. Orton looked like Peyton Manning.

Brady Quinn was beyond horrible. He's only going to get game action if Orton get hurt early in the season.

This was a bad Broncos team anyway, but they are just ravaged by injuries already. Dumerville, Clady, Moreno, Buckhalter, Thomas and Decker (the two rookie WR), DJ Williams. . . they are in really bad shape. They could easily be the fourth best team in the AFC West right now.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #1259
Tigercat
College Starter

Damn Tebow missed throwing the ball to a WIDE OPEN WR that he was staring straight at. Weird. He did still get a 6 yard completion out of the play though. (Followed up by a near INT.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #1260
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Hopefully the Colts end the Curtis Painter experiment. He is so bad that he actually pisses me off. He may be the one player in the NFL that I think to myself, "I couldn't possibly play worse than he is if I was out there."

But can you hold a clipboard better than him?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #1261
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Damn Tebow missed throwing the ball to a WIDE OPEN WR that he was staring straight at. Weird. He did still get a 6 yard completion out of the play though. (Followed up by a near INT.)

Big time hit and miss day for him. He missed a couple of open WR. He made a very poor pre snap read on the blitz. He also looks like he's throwing it better overall. His arm strength is more than what I expected. He doesn't have "happy feet" in the pocket as much as I expected. He's made some solid throws on the run. (including a really nice throw moving to his right as I've typed this)

Overall, I'm kind of impressed. He looked better than what I thought he would.

Oh, and the ref who made the fumble call? Really, I know it's preseason, but he should probably just be walked off the field now. That was beyond horrible.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #1262
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

While I'm in the mood to rant, I'd like to thank the NFL for its blackout rules that didn't allow me to watch the Bengals/Broncos game on NFLN because I'm in the Cincinnati zone - despite the fact that the game wasn't televised locallly. Fuck you.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-16-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #1263
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Niners sign Westbrook to back up Gore. I absolutely love this signing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #1264
bhlloy
Coordinator

Holy shit... Eli lucky to be still walking after that play. That was a lot of blood.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #1265
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Holy shit... Eli lucky to be still walking after that play. That was a lot of blood.

Yeah that was a deep cut. Looked like Chael Sonnen after last week.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #1266
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Santonio Holmes in the game in the 3Q????///

Really?

Earth: Hi
RexRyan: Hey
Earth: Have we met?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #1267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Niners sign Westbrook to back up Gore. I absolutely haven't followed him in a few years

Fixed
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #1268
TroyF
Coordinator

stevew,

?!?!

Westbrook has had some injuries, but when healthy has still been solid. He put up over 2000 combined yards in 2007. He had over 1300 in 2008 along with 14 TD's in 14 games. Last year he averaged 4.5 yards per carry in an injury shortened season.

I'm not calling it the greatest signing in the history of the world. He's certainly lost a step and any overuse will certainly get him hurt. As a one year flyer? I love the signing as well. Low risk, high reward. If he bombs, he bombs, but I think he'll do enough to be a solid backup.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #1269
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I don't know, the concussion issue is what would make me hesitant, nothing performance based.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #1270
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Troy

He's had too many concussions.
RBs in general don't transition from being THE guy to one of the guys. RBs on their 2nd team late n career almost never work out.

I suppose if they are giving him less than 100 touches it could work. As someone who won't play special teams either I just don't see making a spot for him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #1271
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #1272
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

And for the most unsurprising news of the offseason. Brett Favre is on his way to Minnesota and has reportedly told people he is playing.

This news is coming from NFL Network and WCCO out of the Twin cities.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-17-2010 at 02:13 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #1273
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
And for the most unsurprising news of the offseason. Brett Favre is on his way to Minnesota and has reportedly told people he is playing.

Amazing how that ankle felt better as soon as training camp got out of the way.

Still, glad to have him back. His retirement circus and narcissism suck. But the NFL is a more fun league to watch when one of the Super Bowl contenders has Favre and not T. Jack taking snaps.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #1274
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

In other news, Lance Bass is gay

Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #1275
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Jackass. Favre, not you.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #1276
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Disappointing, but not surprising.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #1277
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Jackass. Favre, not you.

Agree. I was pleased to see a lot of the former Favre-sycophants seemingly fed-up with it again this year, along the lines of "I'm refusing to comment on this in my blog/column/whatever until the season is over and it's for sure that he's actually retired."

I guess they've all been fucked-with too much finally.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #1278
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

He is terribly looking for attention. Im not sure why he just didnt come out and say he was coming back on August 17th like it was pretty much assumed.

He wont be able to duplicate his success of last year so for the Vikings this year will depend on getting AP back to the player he was in his first 2 years. The Vikings depended too much on him last year and if they plan on doing that again this year it could go South in a hurry.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #1279
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Agree. I was pleased to see a lot of the former Favre-sycophants seemingly fed-up with it again this year, along the lines of "I'm refusing to comment on this in my blog/column/whatever until the season is over and it's for sure that he's actually retired."

I guess they've all been fucked-with too much finally.

I used to not really mind Favre. He was never my favorite, but I was indifferent to him. Now it's to the point that even when I play the Vikings in fucking Madden I have to put Jackson in because I can't even stand looking at a virtual Favre.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #1280
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I used to not really mind Favre. He was never my favorite, but I was indifferent to him. Now it's to the point that even when I play the Vikings in fucking Madden I have to put Jackson in because I can't even stand looking at a virtual Favre.

LOL - now that is funny.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #1281
sabotai
General Manager

Dear ESPN,

Really!? Brett Favre coming back is "Breaking News"? So much so that you cancel one of the few shows worth watching? Really!?

P.S. Saying "and oh, by the way" before everything you say is really fucking annoying. Stop it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #1282
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Dear Brett Favre,

Fuck you.

Signed,
Every state in the union except Minnesota.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #1283
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Whore
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #1284
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I never really got the Favre hatred.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #1285
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Dear Brett Favre,

Fuck you.

Signed,
Every state in the union except Minnesota.

Nah Favre is an okay diva in my book. The more relevant message goes like this

Dear Tarvaris Jackson,

Fooled you again. Dumb Ass!!!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Signed
The Minnesota Vikings
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #1287
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Around the Horn is worth watching? Badly scripted, badly acted, piss poor sportwriters yammering on is worth watching? The day that crap, along with PTI, go away is the day ESPN starts moving back to being legitimate sports coverage.

You're nuts. ATH and PTI are good sports TV.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #1288
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

They both have potential if it wasn't for the people on them.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #1290
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm the complete opposite. Used to hate the retirement talk, it was annoying as hell, and I let it make me hate Favre and root against him. Now I simply filter it out, its just part of the summer. He'll be playing week 1 and i find him to be fun to watch, so I'll enjoy watching him play. I'm not particularly rooting for him or the Vikings necessarily, but I enjoy watching him so I'm glad he's back.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #1291
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:

tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #1292
DataKing
Pro Rookie

hehe
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #1293
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Around the Horn is worth watching?

Yes.

Quote:
ESPN 60 is good sports TV. 30 for 30 is great sports TV.

I like them as well.

Last edited by sabotai : 08-17-2010 at 05:04 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #1294
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So, am I the only person who thinks of Favre's act as at least partially intentional comedy?

It's not like the dude is humorless, he's got a long history of practical jokes, and we're all familiar with his winking, sly "aww shucks" demeanor by now. The dude can barely keep a straight face, and/or not pester a teammate or coach, whether it's during a game or a press conference, whether he knows he's on camera or not. Yet every media outlet reports everything relating to his retirement with the earnestness reserved for the funerals of heads of state.

It's getting very hard for me to follow the high comedy of his yearly flirts with retirement, and masterful media manipulation, and think he's not at least partially in on the joke. I'm starting to think Favre is the Andy Kaufman of the NFL, and in that light he's kinda doubly awesome.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-17-2010 at 05:25 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #1295
DataKing
Pro Rookie

He's obviously at least partly in on the joke. Look at his Sears ads last year.

That doesn't make me despise the man any less.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #1296
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm the complete opposite. Used to hate the retirement talk, it was annoying as hell, and I let it make me hate Favre and root against him. Now I simply filter it out, its just part of the summer. He'll be playing week 1 and i find him to be fun to watch, so I'll enjoy watching him play. I'm not particularly rooting for him or the Vikings necessarily, but I enjoy watching him so I'm glad he's back.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #1297
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am kind of glad Favre is back. Packers were swept by the Favre led Vikings last year, didn't want him to retire with a perfect record versus the Pack. The only time the retirement/non-retirement thing bothered me was two years ago when he was still a Packer and was traded to the Jets. Before and after that wasn't such a big deal to me.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #1298
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Dear ESPN,

Really!? Brett Favre coming back is "Breaking News"? So much so that you cancel one of the few shows worth watching? Really!?

P.S. Saying "and oh, by the way" before everything you say is really fucking annoying. Stop it.

And do we really need to see his freaking plane land at the airport and car travel to the Vikings facility? Just makes me sad for ESPN a little bit more each day. Really used to like them, but especially recently with all the LeBron James crap, and their erroneous report that Favre was retiring early this year-going with just a newspaper source that his teammates were getting messages from Favre that he was retiring-not checking with Favre or Viking sources before running with it like gospel, just sinks them further down the toilet. They become more of a joke with each passing day, and that's too bad.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #1299
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So Tony Dungy wants Roger Goodell to look into Rex Ryan cursing in his locker room that was caught by HBO cameras while taping a show?! WTF?!!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #1300
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Funny bit I just read on Favre...

Quote:
There are times when I think that if Favre didn’t exist, ESPN would have just invented him. Then I correct myself: ESPN did invent him, like Dr. Frankenstein and his henchman Igor conjured up their monster. And every year we get another sequel: “Son of Frankenstein,” in which Favre goes to the Jets and makes his teammates hate him; “House of Frankenstein,” in which Favre takes his talents to Lake Minnetonka and throws the interception that blows the Super Bowl for the Vikes, and now …

“Bride of Frankenstein,” in which placekicker Ryan Longwell drives the honeymoon car and a covey of helicopters serve as the tin cans being dragged behind.