The boy who cried Trout

And Detroit gets Hatcher.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #1252
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
KAriya and Selanne sign with Colorado...HOLY SHIT!!!!!!
No kidding.

Sportsnet is reporting the Kariya deal is for $1.2M. WTF?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #1253
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
No kidding.

Sportsnet is reporting the Kariya deal is for $1.2M. WTF?

Sorry, that should read $1.2B

If it is, just shows that he's more interested in getting a Cup than money at this point. Also shows that he believes that the Ducks chances of repeating last year's run are pretty far fetched.

Something tells me that Sakic, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, Hejduk and Tanguay with Blake, Foote and Morris might match up well against whatever Anaheim has to throw at them next year.

Wonder what's up though, when Kariya gets $1.2, and Selanne picks up $5.8.

Question is, aside from Hatcher, who do the Red Wings go out and get now to match this? A FA or two, or do they go the Cujo route and try to pry away a scorer that way?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #1254
bbor
Pro Starter

Kariya signs for 1.2 mil for 1 year

Selanne signs for 5.8 mil for 1 year..

Kariya...1.2mil??c'mon??..that's just not fair...CR is gonna be pissed.

Could this entice Roy to play one more year?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:41 PM   #1255
bbor
Pro Starter

30 mil over 5 years for Hatcher

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:55 PM   #1256
Travis
Pro Rookie

So now the Av's just need to sign Fedorov and the pissing off of the Wings will be complete. If that happens, I vote that they don't even play a goalie, just go with 4 forwards and 2 D all game, they should be able to score enough to offset any dump in goals.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #1257
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Why does the Eastern Conference save us all the time and just fold right now?
Old 07-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #1258
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't understand why everyone discounts Aebesher (spelling). What's to say he can't be a quality goalie? He's been grooming behind Roy for years now...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #1259
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
I don't understand why everyone discounts Aebesher (spelling). What's to say he can't be a quality goalie? He's been grooming behind Roy for years now...

Personally, I think this is the way the Av's should go. I think the Wings are really letting a great looking goalie in Legace linger on the bench as well. I was overjoyed to see Turco play well as I figured Dallas wouldn't give him the shot after Eddie left (and I hate Dallas, so to be happy for any of them is quite a feat for me). It seems a lot of these 'big' teams are scared of going with an unproven goalie and will spend big money on somebody who has a name, even though they may not do a better job.

That being said, a lot of rumor mills and reporters consistently report that Colorado isn't sold on David as their goalie of the future, which just baffles me, but I would bet we'll see him play somewhere, someday as a very solid starting goalie.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:27 PM   #1260
bbor
Pro Starter

Marchant is asking 4 years 22mil from the Rangers....apparently the Rangers turned him down.

Kariya signed a 1 year deal because he will be a group 5 FA after this season..which means he will be a total FA without compensation.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #1261
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Marchant is asking 4 years 22mil from the Rangers....apparently the Rangers turned him down.

Kariya signed a 1 year deal because he will be a group 5 FA after this season..which means he will be a total FA without compensation.

Damn right they'd turn Marchant down for that. Who does he think he is, and who does he think he's talking to? NY won't sign him for a penny under $30 mill for 4 years, sheesh.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #1262
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

But he was a FA right now. Why delay it another year, and risk blowing out a knee?

Marchant has signed with the Blue Jackets. Hm, the Rangers or the Blue Jackets. Good to see he's really committed to winning.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #1263
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
But he was a FA right now. Why delay it another year, and risk blowing out a knee?

Something tells me Kariya doesn't need to worry about future earnings at this point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #1264
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

So for $1 million more than Detroit got Hatcher for, Colorado gets two of the best scoring wingers in the league. Advantage, Colorado.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #1265
bbor
Pro Starter

ML...Kariya is 28..you cannot become a UFA unless you are over 30 and made MORE than the league average salary the year before.

SO if Kariya at 28 takes under the league average (1.6Mil)he will become a UFA 2 years earlier than he should.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #1266
bbor
Pro Starter

Columbus signs Marchant...5 years 14 mil

They also sign Letkowski...for 3 years.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #1267
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
So for $1 million more than Detroit got Hatcher for, Colorado gets two of the best scoring wingers in the league. Advantage, Colorado.

The Wings will have easily the best blue line in the NHL next year. Add in Hasek, and teams are going to find it very difficult to score against the Wings. Advantage, Wings.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #1268
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
ML...Kariya is 28..you cannot become a UFA unless you are over 30 and made MORE than the league average salary the year before.

SO if Kariya at 28 takes under the league average (1.6Mil)he will become a UFA 2 years earlier than he should.
But a player who isn't qualified by his team can also become a FA. That's what happened to him here.

If he isn't already an unrestricted free agent, how does he sign with Colorado in the first place?
Old 07-03-2003, 02:04 PM   #1269
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why does the Eastern Conference save us all the time and just fold right now?

Because the Devils have to win back-to-back cups .
Old 07-03-2003, 02:05 PM   #1270
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
The Wings will have easily the best blue line in the NHL next year. Add in Hasek, and teams are going to find it very difficult to score against the Wings. Advantage, Wings.

Not when you add in the fact that you have lost Fedorov.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:06 PM   #1271
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
But a player who isn't qualified by his team can also become a FA. That's what happened to him here.

If he isn't already an unrestricted free agent, how does he sign with Colorado in the first place?

I think Anaheim get's a pick for him.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:12 PM   #1272
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Not when you add in the fact that you have lost Fedorov.

That has nothing to do with the blue line.

And if you think Ken Holland is done dealing, you are sadly mistaken.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #1273
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Anaheim get's a pick for him.
I don't think they do. They cut him loose, and he became unrestricted.

Quote:

That's true. With Hasek in net and that great defence, they should be able to hold the Avs to six or seven goals a game, max.

I think the big question now is: have Kariya and Selanne just killed the market for Federov? And if so, does he sign a one-year-deal with the Avs just so he can stick it down the Wings' throat?
Old 07-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #1274
korme
Go Reds

Ahem, excuse me, gentlemen.

PLAYOFF HOCKEY IS OVER, PLEASE END THIS THREAD.

That is all.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #1275
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the blue line.

And if you think Ken Holland is done dealing, you are sadly mistaken.

I didn't realize that we were only comparing bluelines. Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned Fedorov. I thought we were talking about which team came out better. Now, if you are arguing that the team with the better blueline is the winner, I could see that, but you didn't make that clear. Sorry! Also, how does Hasek have any more bearing on the Detroit blueline than Kariya and Selanne have on Colorado's?

Also, I never meant to imply that your GM was finished dealing. I must have misspoken.

On a more lucid note, here are some interesting comments from the Stars GM about the team. I wonder how the players will respond to this...

Quote:

Armstrong admitted losing Hatcher would be a major setback, but he still believes the Stars will be in a position to compete for the Stanley Cup next season.

"Obviously we think Derian has an impact," Armstrong said last month while announcing that the Stars would not offer Hatcher a contract before July 1. "We're also returning Mike Modano, Bill Guerin, Sergei Zubov, Darryl Sydor, Richard Matvichuk, Marty Turco, Jere Lehtinen, Stu Barnes. These are quality NHL players.

"The biggest disappointment and the biggest shock to me will be to me is if these players don't come in an perform to the level to win the Stanley Cup. That will really show that I really misjudged the character of these people. If they don't come in an perform at the level to win a Stanley Cup then I've misjudged the character and we wouldn't win with or without Derian at that point."

Not one mention of Turgeon.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-03-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:36 PM   #1276
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't think the Avs will have a tough time scoring against them.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:37 PM   #1277
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think the Avs will have a tough time scoring against them.

I do.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:41 PM   #1278
bbor
Pro Starter

ML..if Kariya takes big money this season he can't become unrestricted next season......if you add that with the fact he had a taste of sir stanley....and he could'nt have joined the Avs without taking low $$..i think that is why he did it.

I think the Ducks still get a pick because Kariya is under 30.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:49 PM   #1279
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

That's what I thought too, but that whole compensation thing confuses me.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-03-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:51 PM   #1280
bbor
Pro Starter

Interesting question..Now that the Avs have re-loaded...is Granato the right coach for this team?

And...could the Avs get a hold of Cujo via a 3 way deal?

Old 07-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #1281
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
ML..if Kariya takes big money this season he can't become unrestricted next season....
Agreed, but it seems strange to take so little money just so you can be a UFA next year, when you're already a UFA next year.

Besides, you could always work an under-the-table deal that the Avs wouldn't qualify you next year.

Quote:
I am almost 100% positive that this is not the case.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #1282
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I agree with Maple Leafs. This just doesn't make sense. There have to be other reasons. And though I think the shot at the Cup. and Selanne also signing with the Avs, has to be a big part of it, the desire for UFA doesn't seem to be the answeer here. This is exactly what he already had.

Well, I'm thinking that if you have UFA status once, you pretty much have it again permanently from then on, but I guess it's possible that if Kariya signed a bigger than $1.6 M contract, but for less time than taking him to 30 years old, then his rights might remain with the Avs. If that's the case, then this makes a little bit more sense, combining it with him being a free agency presumeably right after a new labor deal is negotiated (meaning he'll be able to cash in then, for what that will be worth).

Now, before you all go, "Hey, look at that...Chief seems to be taking this so calmly...", trust me, inside, I'm not. This is devastating. I almost can't believe it. I keep thinking this must be some kind of hoax. What are the stages of shock? I'm at the disbelief stage, and I don't think I'm going to go through it as fast as Homer does in the episode he finds out he ate a poisonous fish. I should arrive at the anger stage fairly soon, though--and it's quite possible there I will remain for the entire 2003-04 hockey season.

WORST...HOCKEY...DAY...EVER!

You know what my first thought was when I saw this and came to believe it was true? Kariya signed with Colorado for so low an amount to spite the Ducks. Kariya has always been a good guy, but he's not the smiley, joking around kinda good guy. He's the loyal, quiet type who thinks intense thoughts about everything but keeps it all inside. My impression is that the Ducks' decision to not offer him the qualifying offer devastated him. He must have been shocked. He wasn't shocked yesterday, of course, but when the Ducks told him and his agent, because they had been playing up the possibility with Kariya and his agent in the days leading up to free agency (to soften the blow). I think the main motivating factor--and the public factor--is to get a Cup, to play with Selanne, and to be a free agent next season, but I think the unspoken factor is the Kariya basically told his agent Don Baizley to deliver a "fuck you" message to Bryan Murray and the Ducks.

I can understand his angst over this, but if this is the case, I'm very disappointed in both him, his agent and the Ducks. But I understand all of their motivations. Hockey is losing money left and right, and the Ducks are no exception. It doesn't help that the corporation running things at the top only sees things in shades of green, and when green turns into "red", as in "in the", they pretty much cut the purse strings. I frickin' hate Disney more than ever right now. Didn't leave fast enough before you ruined a good club, could ya?

Now, then there's Baizley. I'm not sure if any of you are aware, but this guy also represents Selanne. And there is a lot of bad blood betweeb Baizley and the Ducks over past Kariya negotiations. IMO, this thing was engineered by him after he found out the Ducks weren't going to give Kariya a qualifying offer (again, we're not talking yesterday, we're probably talking a couple weeks ago). He's not just sending Kariya's message--he's sending his own personal "fuck you" to the organization, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he had this in place before free agency started, and they just waited a couple days to make it look good. If this guy came to my door right now, you better believe their would be an incident between his head and the nearest "blunt object" I could reach.

And then there's the Avalanche. God, I hate them. I'm so sick of the rich, frickin' Avalanche (sorry to Avs fans here). It just makes me even more pissed off at hockey's fucked up money system, which causes as much disparity between poor and rich teams here as there is in baseball. It's not enough that you guys have two Cups already, but you have to go and sign away the best player from my favorite team (Kariya) and my favorite player in the entire league (Selanne), and at the same time dash the Ducks' hopes in fell swoop? As if they didn't already have enough talent and skill to win the Cup without these guys. Ugh. And I was feeling sorry for them losing their big time goalie and losing in the first round. I was thinking that, without that utter asshole Roy, they might not even be the Forces of Darkness anymore. But, no. Greatest trick the devil played was convincing everyone he doesn't exist, as they said in the Usual Suspects. Well, I certainly forgot--evil persists in Colorado after all.

Roy HAS to come out of retirement. I mean, come on. Isn't this already written? Hasek is back. Why not Roy? He is PURE evil. It makes complete sense. He is the only piece of the Acopalypse missing from the return of the anti-Christ.

Now there's Bryan Murray. I don't know whether to be angry at or just sad for him. He may have made the most brilliant moves of any exec last year. But this year ain't starting off so hot. How much did this result have to do with decisions he made? Or was it all at the order of the ass-pinchers in the corporate head office? His level of responsibility is entirely related to how much wrath he should rightfully get from us Ducks fans. I'm guessing the season ticket office (Disney raised ticket prices AGAIN, and had applications back in before free agency) is being deluged with cancellations and angry calls and what not at the moment, and rightfulyl so. I hope Disney takes this one on the fucking kisser, and franchise value drops to an all-time low, so they are forced to lose a grip of money on it to someone local who actually cares (Lord knows who that is, though--unless the price drops to about $50, then I'll gladly buy them).

And then we have the Ducks. Man, what do the guys have to be thinking right now? I feel sorry for them, as much as I feel sorry for myself. All is not lost, of course--let's face it, Kariya hasn't been that great in recent years, and Selanne had nothing to do with this team last season. But, still, Kariya meant a lot more to the team than just a guy scoring goals, and despite the falling numbers, he was still our leading point man.

Ever the optimist, I can't assume the Ducks can't get back into the playoffs. The core of the defense that stood the Ducks up both during the regular season and in the playoffs remains. Jiggy is still in net. Carney, Salei, Sauer and Vishnevsky are a very solid group of blue collar defensmen. Ozolinsh and Havelid are string offensive players from the blue line. Rucchin and Niedermayer are strong two-way centers for the top lines. MacDoanld has shown the ability to develop into a strong one himself. LeClerc moves up to the top line in place of Kariya, and will be very strong on the forecheck and in front of the net, with Sykora adding the speed and pizzazz ont he other side. Chistov and Smirnov will be on e year better--both are regarded as future 30 goal players. And we'll have Lupul next year--the Ottawan star center we drafted last year with the fifth overall selection who is huge and reportedly looks ready to step in.

And if they do get back into the playoffs, what do you think are the chances we'll sneak into the playoffs at eight, and be facing a monster Avs #1 seed? Any of you want to watch that series? Yeah, I'll bet you would.

The Stars made similar line stocking moves last season and it didn't work out so well for them. I'm not sure it will for the Avs either. If there is good in the world, it WON'T work out for the Avs, I should say.

But then I'm just a desparate Ducks fan now.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:01 PM   #1283
bbor
Pro Starter

Is Jiggy still a RFA?

Be interesting if the Avs signed him too

I think we'd have to call the paramedics for CR

Old 07-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #1284
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281

That is all.

Well, shit, we're even further from the next Bengals' visit to the playoffs then we are the next hockey playoffs, but we don't go into your Bengals threads and point that out.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:04 PM   #1285
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is Jiggy still a RFA?

Be interesting if the Avs signed him too

I think we'd have to call the paramedics for CR

Don't make me hurt you, bbor.

CR

Old 07-03-2003, 03:06 PM   #1286
TroyF
Coordinator

Chief,

If it is any consolation, I'm an Avs fan and I agree with most of what you are saying. Still, at the end ot the day, the Ducks should have made the qualifying offer. They had to know there was a chance it would backfire.

I hope when the hockey players go on strike a suitable cap can be had so EVERY team has a chance to win. I don't like seeing the Avs simply outspend people to win. (I don't believe they've ever been above #5 in the league in spending, but it's still a heck of a lot more than most other teams)

I hope there is some compensation for the Ducks. Even though I'll be cheering for the Avs next year, I won't be disspaointed in the least if Vancouver, Anaheim, Minnesota or someone else takes it. (I'd prefer the Red Wings and Stars didn't either. Not because I hate either team, but I'd rather see new blood win the title)

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #1287
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I hear you Chief. I thought if the Ducks could keep it together, and maybe add Selanne, they would be cool still be a contender.

Then they lose Oates. Well, he's good, but someone can step in and replace him.

Then they let Kariya go. I think that surely they will get him back, once they see what the market will bare.

Wham! This deal came out of nowhere, and takes both players out of consideration. Now the Ducks are down a playmaking center, a high scoring winger, and "the missing link". That just sucks.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:14 PM   #1288
bbor
Pro Starter

If any Fa's are looking for Pat Quinn ...he is in Vancouver vacationing...

AHAHAHAH...this strikes me as funny..one of the most important times of the year in hockey and this asshole is on holiday.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #1289
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Chief, I seriously doubt that Kariya's low contract was orchestrated by his agent. Agents want to get the highest dollar value possible for their clients. It helps in 2 ways, 1 is that they receive a percentage cut, and the other is that it helps their other clients get higher salaries (which of course means more money for them).

Furthermore, an untouched-on piece of this is that Kariya is going to get in major shit with the NHLPA. They really try to strong arm players into taking the biggest deal possible, and are very very aggressive about trying to make sure players don't take contracts for less than market value.

I also don't think Kariya did this as a "fuck you" to Anaheim. He's too nice a guy, and despite past negotiation problems he's never displayed any animocity towards the team at all.

My theory? Dude wants a cup, simple as that. Anaheim couldn't afford to qualify him, so at that point he basically said "where can I go to give myself the best chance to win? And how do I go about getting there?".
Old 07-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #1290
bbor
Pro Starter

Not only does he want a cup...but he gets his cake and eats it too..he loses a year of good salary..but in reality...who is gonna offer him big bucks and a long term deal right now anyways?...so he takes under the league minimum...and gets to be a UFA after the labour deal is worked out.

Sounds like good business sense to me.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #1291
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Not only does he want a cup...but he gets his cake and eats it too..he loses a year of good salary..but in reality...who is gonna offer him big bucks and a long term deal right now anyways?...so he takes under the league minimum...and gets to be a UFA after the labour deal is worked out.

Sounds like good business sense to me.

That's what I was thinking. This is the classic example of a guy who's really worth more then he'd be able to get right now. So, he takes a one year deal to prove that he's worth a big long-term deal, and he gets to compete for a Cup as well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #1292
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Can't you just picture the scene outside of Av's training camp in September?

Security guard: I'm sorry sir, you'll have to leave.
Player: No, you don't understand, I play for the Avalanche!
Security guard: Sir, we've been over this...
Player: Let me in, I'm late for practice!
Security guard: No you're not, sir. Do we have to go through this again?
Player: Let me in!
Security guard: Sir, we've already checked your ID. You don't play for the Avs. You're name is Steve Rucchin. You play for the Ducks
Player: Um...
Security guard: Please leave now.
Player: Let me in! I'm... um... I'm Jeff Shantz!
Security guard: No you're not. Please leave.
Player: I'm Steven Reinpricht!
Security guard: [draws gun]
Old 07-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #1293
bbor
Pro Starter

ML...i figured it would be Babcock trying to say he was Granato.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:34 PM   #1294
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Security guard: Sir, we've already checked your ID. You don't play for the Avs. You're name is Steve Rucchin. You play for the Ducks

Old 07-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #1295
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I realize all that, Fidatelo. I'm just bitter.

I do think there is a bit of a "fuck you" in the signing, though. You don't know Kariya like I do (or as close as fans can get through the media). He's a very quiet, intense guy. He has always been given to strong emotions, but it keeps them buttoned up as tight as Disney's asshole. When Selanne was with the Ducks, his main off ice job was to take the young Kariya and get him to laugh and cool him off, let the steam out. Kariya has matured a little, but he still has a lot of that in him. He has exactly the kind of personality which would be shocked and devastated that his loyalty was treated in this manner, and I think it's a definite possiblity Baizley used that as a reason to get him to go with the pay cut.

As for the NHLPA, you're dead on with that one, except you forget this is for the "greater good" of getting Kasriya a bigger piece of the pie next season. And if Baizley thinks he can make more money by having Kariya sign this deal and then a big deal next year, then he can by having Kasriya sign what the market will give in a multi-year contract this season, then I believe he would do it.

Baizley ain't hurting for cash. He can afford the risk. He has already made at least $10 M personally off of Kariya alone.

CR

Old 07-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #1296
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, I wonder if Rucchin will see this as an opportunity to finally step into the limelight. He's always been in the shadow of Kariya, and he might enjoy the opportunity for being a premier name for once (although Sykora might outshine him, too).

CR

Old 07-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #1297
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281

That is all.

Well, then let's create an ALL NEW, MORE POWERFUL HOCKEY OFFSEASON THREAD! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Roy HAS to come out of retirement. I mean, come on. Isn't this already written? Hasek is back. Why not Roy? He is PURE evil. It makes complete sense. He is the only piece of the Acopalypse missing from the return of the anti-Christ.
CR, that is pure genious.

And, TroyF, I hope you're right about the salary situation. There are a lot more hard liners than in baseball so maybe they'll actually accomplish something more than wiping out some games next year.

MapleLeafs, that post was just pure evil

I have a silly question: what if, after the labor agreement, Kariya's little trick doesn't pay off? What if they take away that clause? Is he then stuck as an RFA for Colorado when the small market owners try to spite him?

This thread today has been great reading, yet again!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #1298
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum

WORST...HOCKEY...DAY...EVER!

And then there's the Avalanche. God, I hate them. I'm so sick of the rich, frickin' Avalanche (sorry to Avs fans here). Well, I certainly forgot--evil persists in Colorado after all.

Chief Rum

Man, I go away from work for one day and the end of the world kicks in. For shame... For shame...

Chief. I agree with all of your above comments. Glad to see you share my views on The Forces of Darkness(tm).

It's sad to see Kariya get The Taint. He is Tainted now and forever. Maybe he will be able to overcome it. Maybe... The contract figure is sick. $1.2 million? Why couldn't he sign this little diddy with the good guys? WHY?? I am sure the Wings could have signed Teemu as well. Honestly! They would have!

This sucks.

On to more pleasant things.... Hatcher.

Nice to finally have a big, mean crease-clearing defensman. Wings fans have been bitching and moaning about this for years on end, before Konstantinov and after him. Non-stop.

That being said, I don't think Hatcher is all that. He makes bad plays. He can be slow. This does give the Wings the best blue line in the league, but they still lack some punch up front. They couldn't score goals last year in the play-offs. This is why they lost. The Wings still need some more punch up front.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #1299
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF

I hope when the hockey players go on strike a suitable cap can be had so EVERY team has a chance to win. I don't like seeing the Avs simply outspend people to win. (I don't believe they've ever been above #5 in the league in spending, but it's still a heck of a lot more than most other teams)

TroyF

It's easy to feel this way during July when the rich get richer. But we all know this is not the case. Just look at the Conference finalists last year: Anaheim, Columbus, New Jersey, Ottawa. All medium-to-low salaried teams. All had a better chance to win the Cup than any of the big spendors.

The big spenders do tend to have better records in the regular season, but the way play-off hockey is one hot goaltender, one strange bounce, and a team with a $30 million pay-roll is right there with a team with a $65 million pay-roll...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #1300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

As if this day could get any worse...

Sykora Signs With Caps!

Forgive me for the joke. I had to lauigh a little. This seemed fitting. A guy with exactly the same name as the last remaining true offensive star on the Ducks signing with another team...Classic...

CR