Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #1251
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Judging by the stain on my shorts, I believe that last note Dionne Warwick attempted was The Brown Noise.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #1252
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
whoever it was that placed the bet that Clay Aiken could indeed look even more gay: come and claim your prize.

He seriously looked like Paul Ruebens.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #1253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Oh my God, its Seeley Booth!!!!

I guess I've just been watching a little too much wrestling lately, but I swear when I read this I "heard" it being delivered by Ol' J.R.

All that was missing to complete the image was the appropriate ring intro music for Booth.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #1254
Joe
Pro Starter

yep, there is my idol
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #1255
Easy Mac

taylor
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #1256
JeeberD
General Manager

Maybe McPhee will do Playboy now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #1257
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Maybe McPhee will do Playboy now...

uh... why would she do that?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #1258
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush

uh...if she wanted to - would you stop her?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #1259
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Why was David Hasselhoff crying???
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #1260
Joe
Pro Starter

not if she posed with her mother
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #1261
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Because she lost.

And oh yeah, it was a joke...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #1262
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16

He was overwhelmed with emotion because he gave up courtside seats to watch Dirk in order to sit through that 2-hour crapfest.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #1263
Swaggs
Coordinator

My thoughts:

--Clay Aiken going for the Chris Gaines look. Didn't work out so well for Garth, but good luck with that.
--Toni Braxton. WTF? I'm thinking Taylor's original partner flaked out at the last minute and Braxton was the only thing they could scrape up. It didn't sound like she knew the words and their song seemed like it was only like 30 seconds long. Plus, she looked like she was taking Paula's meds.
--Elliott and Chris would have made a better Final 2. And Mandissa sounded good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #1264
Ksyrup

I thought Braxton and Blige were awful. I just don't get the appeal of that kind of singing.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #1265
Irrelevant Dude
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Germans love Taylor Hicks.
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #1266
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I thought Braxton and Blige were awful. I just don't get the appeal of that kind of singing.

You better be careful else we are going to have an AAE version of Idol.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #1267
Ksyrup

Warbler Idol?

My comment wasn't meant to be directed solely at black singers. Elliott was warbling right along with them.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #1268
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

I think they have both done good stuff in the past. Particularly Mary J. I didn't so much mind Mary J's version, since I like her voice and love that song, but it wasn't really much of a duet. She came out and took over the stage and the song.

Toni Braxton was just wow. She came out singing super low and I could not understand one word she sang. That seemed disasterous to me.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #1269
Ksyrup

I thouht Blige missed more notes than the Idols on some of their songs. But compared to Braxton, you're right, she was Da Bomb, dawg!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #1270
Ksyrup

Saw this posted over at another forum, thought it was funny:

Ladies and gentlemen, you're new American Idol...

Benny Hinn!!! WTF!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #1271
Joe
Pro Starter

chris had a nice wallet chain while he was wearing a suit. wtf
Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #1272
Ksyrup

Keepin' in real. While singing Don't Stop Believing.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-24-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #1273
Swaggs
Coordinator

The other thing I was wondering about, while I was watching, was how bad the other guys roughed up Kevin while they were all living together. They were all like 25+ and he was like 17. I bet they locked him in the freezer and gave him wedgies and stuff after he got all cocky.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #1274
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
The other thing I was wondering about, while I was watching, was how bad the other guys roughed up Kevin while they were all living together. They were all like 25+ and he was like 17. I bet they locked him in the freezer and gave him wedgies and stuff after he got all cocky.

I thought they stopped having them live together?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #1275
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

So.. what are the odds that when Prince walked off the stage he said, "Bitches, come"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #1276
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought they stopped having them live together?

Not positive, but I thought I read that Katherine almost quit early on because she was being "forced" to live with the other Idols, even though they in her hometown.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #1277
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Prediction: Katherine McPhee will have a bigger career than Taylor Hicks. Hicks is a personality, but he just isn't all that great a singer. Personality isn't going to make up for boring, one-tone music. McPhee has some pipes, and with some more voice control work and the right person getting her good music, she can be a serious pop star.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #1278
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Prediction: Katherine McPhee will have a bigger career than Taylor Hicks. Hicks is a personality, but he just isn't all that great a singer. Personality isn't going to make up for boring, one-tone music. McPhee has some pipes, and with some more voice control work and the right person getting her good music, she can be a serious pop star.

Bullcrap, there were a number of girls that should have lasted longer than she did.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:54 AM   #1279
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:

I'd say this is pretty much right on. Though Hicks isn't bad.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:10 AM   #1280
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

A few things.

McPhee was the best Idol tonight. When on stage with others, she outshines them all, including Hicks. She has the stage presence - you could really see it in the Meatloaf duet. She is going to be huge (a star that is). Taylor will go the route of Studdard and Aiken.

Braxton was super hot - good to SEE her back. She sang terrible.

I liked Blige. By the way, that was a repeat of her duet with Bono and U2 at the Grammies. She sang it the same way, and I loved it. Elliot is no Bono (maybe Sonny though).

I really liked this year's finale with all the recording stars. I thought we would maybe see a surprise star near the end, although I did not expect Prince (I was expecting more like Christina Aguillera).

Anyways, once again, Joe Trippey was wrong. The youth vote did not get out last night.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #1281
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Oh yeah, Hasselhoff crying was the best moment by far. WTF?!?!
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:38 AM   #1282
Anthony
Banned

i seriously love The Hoff. he's my new Chuck Norris. he has the hair of Adonis.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #1283
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wait, Hasselhoff was really there crying? I watched the show off and on, but I must not have been paying attention when they showed Hasselhoff. Bah. I'm mad now. At least I got to see Bucky again. I missed Bucky. I <3 BUCKY

Actually, I was happy to see Melissa again. I think the last time I saw her, she had looked kinda trashy, but last night was much better. I didn't really listen to her sing (could anyone even hear her during that medley of cliched "empowered woman" songs?), but I didn't even listen to her months ago when she was singing by herself.

So I see Bucky and Melissa, but I miss Hasselhoff. What a waste of two hours for me.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #1284
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Every time Hasselhoff cries, a new Idol is born...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #1285
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Never watched this show, and never will.

But I sure was glad to see Pedro Gomez won! I was really worried what he'd do after Bonds hit #714 and he wasn't needed around ESPN as much...
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #1286
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Just from the point of view of someone who didn't watch any of the show this year except some of the very first auditions and parts of the last two, two thirds of the contestants that had been booted previously outsang the final two in that big montage they did.

And what the hell was up with the kid singing when Clay Aiken walked out? He looked like Jesus had just walked on the stage with him.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #1287
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Plus, she's HOT!!! Just ask anybody's wife.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #1288
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister
Bullcrap, there were a number of girls that should have lasted longer than she did.

You could make a case for Paris, but who on earth else do you have in mind here?

EDIT: Oh I get it, zero is a number.

(so is one.)

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-25-2006 at 10:07 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #1289
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
You could make a case for Paris, but who on earth else do you have in mind here?

(so is one.)

Mandissa. If this was truly JUST a singing contest, she would have been hard to beat. The problem is you had to see her, and often too much of her as the wardrobe folks kept trotting her out in form fitting ensambles. If we just listened to recordings, she would have been tough to beat.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #1290
SteelerFan448
High School JV

I watched for the first time last night. I can't believe Taylor won, he couldn't sing if his life depended on it. I thought a ton of the old contestants blew him away, including his competition last night.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #1291
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Mandissa. If this was truly JUST a singing contest, she would have been hard to beat. The problem is you had to see her, and often too much of her as the wardrobe folks kept trotting her out in form fitting ensambles. If we just listened to recordings, she would have been tough to beat.

but that's not fair, obviously she can sing - she's black. this isn't a racist comment, it's just a huge percentage of black people can sing, moreso than the average person. in my mind if a singer is black they really gotta come with it for me to be impressed, otherwise it's all the same loud gospel singing stuff to me. they all "blackify" a song the same way. there really are not many black singers with an original style. Prince showed everyone last nite what a true black singer is like.

so, in ending, Mandissa is no better than anyone you'd hear in the church choir.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #1292
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman

(so is one.)

Yeah I forgot about Mandissa. She was pretty decent, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #1293
kmbgolf
n00b

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh Marvin gaye
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #1294
Joe
Pro Starter

Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #1295
wade moore
lolzcat

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...27266226.shtml

Quote:
Chris Daughtry Spurns Fuel: Rejects Offer From Band
By Gene Byrd
Jun 6, 2006
He could have powered an established multiplatinum band but American Idol contestant Chris Daughtry is now looking for a Fuel alternative. Daughtry, the only real rocker to make the finals of Idol this season was offered the gig on Extra TV right after his elimination, but after mulling it over - has rejected the offer from the band.
Chris Daughtry Spurns Fuel (Image Credit: TMZ)

Daughtry would have replaced former singer Brett Scallions, who quit the group in February, E! Online reports.
The remaining band members said they became interested in Daughtry after he performed their song "Hemorrhage" on the show.
It was a fantastic performance - but Chris is looking "solo."
"I'm going to be doing my own thing," Daughtry told the Charlotte Observer, while home in North Carolina over the weekend for a string of appearances; including a performance with his band Absent Element before an audience of about 6,500.
An earlier report by Angela Carson cites TMZ it appears that the bald rocker may look to Idols' contacts with RCA to guide his career.
For now, the aspiring rocker said he plans to keep living in North Carolina, along with his wife and two stepchildren.
On July 5, he'll join reigning Idol Taylor Hicks and the other top 10 finalists for the kick-off of the American Idols Live tour in Manchester, New Hampshire. The tour concludes Sept. 24 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
--Gene Byrd

My thought - this is potentially a very smart move for him. I say this for two reasons.

A) To market on his Idol fame, I think his name really needs to be prominant in the band name.
B) For Ego. It is really hard, I would think, as a lead singer to really get the ego you "need" by taking over someone else's band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 06-06-2006 at 05:03 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #1296
wade moore
lolzcat

And more Idol News...

http://tmz.aol.com/article2/_a/idol-...05123209990001

Quote:
'Idol' Finalists Get Record Contracts
Kat, Chris, Ace and Elliott's post-'Idol' deals
By TMZ.COM STAFF
(June 5, 1:05PM ET) -- Taylor Hicks may have won 'American Idol' but he isn't the only finalist to get a record contract.

TMZ.com
Elliott Yamin, Katharine McPhee, Chris Daughtry & Ace Young

Video
Backstage at 'Idol' finale
'American Idol' Star Catcher
'Idol' finalists head to dinner

Related Link
'American Idol' on TMZ.com
You be the judge!
Speak out on the TMZ message boards

A source tells TMZ that RCA Music Group, which is home to all the past 'Idol' winners, will sign Katharine McPhee and is close to signing a solo deal with Chris Daughtry. Ace Young is also said to be in talks with the label.

TMZ contacted a rep for RCA who said they had no information on Chris or Ace. As far as Katharine, while there is no official announcement yet, all signs seem to point that she will soon be joining the label's roster.

Elliott Yamin has yet to land a record deal, but TMZ has learned Hollywood powerhouse management company The Firm flew the crooner to Vegas last weekend and hooked him up with tickets to back-to-back concerts by Madonna and Prince.

While this is all good news for the finalists, history shows good record sales are not guaranteed. After winning 'Idol' in 2002, Kelly Clarkson sold over 7 million CDs and won two Grammys while her first season runner-up, Justin Guarini, went on to sell less than 150,000 copies of his debut CD before being dropped by RCA.

Noteably missing is Elliot Yamin...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #1297
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
And more Idol News...

http://tmz.aol.com/article2/_a/idol-...05123209990001

Noteably missing is Elliot Yamin...

Anyone who saw him sing the National Anthem before game two of the NBA finals tonight, can probably guess why he had difficulty landing a contract(If he has to date). Eventhough the show's judges and even critics here at FOFC declared him as possibly the best male vocalist in the history of the show, he simply isn't that good. Clay Aiken and Reuben would sing circles around this guy. Hell, the guy who sang that song they ran all the losers off with this year can sing circles around almost all of the male vocalists, certainly all of this year's.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 06-11-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #1298
Ksyrup

He's got a very good voice, but he suffers from Warbler's Disease. If he didn't grow up listening to such crap music, he probably wouldn't have the affliction as bad as he does.

That was painful. Not to mention, he committed the cardinal sin of upstaging the National Anthem by (a) standing there taking applause before he sang, then waiting and taking another round of applause before he started, then (b) acknowledging the crowd after he sang. In that situation, it's not about you, buddy.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #1299
wade moore
lolzcat

Didn't catch the Anthem ...

Quote:
Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #1300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Jumping on the Mandissa comments here I hadn't seen before, but wouldn't it be great if someone did an Idol where no one ever saw the contestants. I know it would be difficult--someone would recognize their voices, contact the media, point them out to who they are or get pictures of them. But if it could be pulled off, that would be great. Then watch everyone's jaws drop when someone like Mandissa walks out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote